PDA

View Full Version : Edsun Buddle. .

Technorgasm
04-02-2010, 01:16 PM
whO DID WE GET RID OF HIM FOR AND WHY?

he had 2 hat tricks last season, was close to the top in goals. . and ALREADY has 3?. . MLS says he will be in the running for Golden Boot!

I mean. . I just dont understnad!

WE also had Connor Casey. . why did we let HIM slip through our fingers?

WHAT THE!!??!!!

Nuvinho
04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
We traded him for Tyrone Marshall.

Nuvinho
04-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Edson will always be in the TFC history book, as he assisted on TFC's 1st ever goal.

JDG
04-02-2010, 01:20 PM
He was not productive in his time here. It took the service of David Beckam to break him out of his slump, and once that happened there has been no turning back.
He's a poacher, not a creator. He never got the service he needed here.

BoJangles
04-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Even the service of Donovan. You see that second goal last night he really just made Buddles job 10 times easier.

reggie
04-02-2010, 01:23 PM
we can add cunny and the dude casey from colorado into that mix

Super
04-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Buddle, Casey and Cunningham are strikers who have seen a lot of success since leaving TFC. I believe that Casey wanted a trade to Colorado because his wife had a job there, so he's not really a good example of "failing at TFC". The other two however were SHIT with us - and so naturally we traded them. Perhaps their success away from TFC is because they play on great teams and get much better service.

CretanBull
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
^ yes, Casey's wife's family lived in Colorado...he requested a trade and we accomodated him. Cunningham was shit and was practically run out of town. Buddle didn't show enough, but he wasn't really given much of an oportunity to prove himself either.

reggie
04-02-2010, 01:30 PM
thats funny how that happends to us...i really think that we had just has much talent has dallas and colorado have...the casey thing about his wife...that could be MO being MO...i've heard that line before here...

icecoldbeer
04-02-2010, 01:31 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=372&pictureid=2313

Shakes McQueen
04-02-2010, 01:47 PM
^ Is that Mitch Peacock behind him?

- Scott

icecoldbeer
04-02-2010, 01:48 PM

- Scott

Not sure, I took the pic after the D.C. United game in 2007...he was warming up for the reserve match and told him to give me a thumbs up haha

mmmikey
04-02-2010, 01:56 PM
so aside from barrett who can't finish, every striker just hasn't had the service? doesn't that condemn the midfield as well.. which is supposed to be our one strong point.

so our defense has been shit. our strikers don't get service, and the ones who do can't finish. the midfield can't create enough quality chances for the strikers. we seem to continually be lacking good wide play. this is pretty sad!!

of course the sheer number of players who have played for us in 3 years means we continually change our strengths/weaknesses. way too much turnover on this roster. we need some damn stability for a few years.

rocker
04-02-2010, 02:12 PM
it's not just the service though. Maybe some of you have selective memories, but all of those strikers have missed easy chances at TFC over the years... chances set up by midfielders.. chances a good striker would easily make.

Remember Dichio feeding Cunningham with headed balls and passes in the first year of Cunny at TFC? Cunny went in 1-on-1 with the keeper many times and failed.

Secondly, TFC isn't the only place guys like Cunningham and Buddle have failed. Buddle had only 6 goals in 28 games with New York in 2006. Cunningham had years where he didn't crack 8 goals.

These guys are naturally flaky and don't succeed in every environment. Even Cunningham looked like a loser in Dallas until they got rid of Kenny Cooper and Cunny was put into the perfect situation.

Damien
04-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Read this story.... http://bit.ly/97IsZA

ilikemusic
04-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Its no curse. Carver and Johnston are just shit heads who nobody liked playing for.

Boris
04-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Its no curse. Carver and Johnston are just shit heads who nobody liked playing for.

strong arguments......:facepalm:

Boris
04-02-2010, 02:50 PM
hindsight is 20/20......that is all

Ron Manager
04-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Any idiot could score with Beckham placing the ball on their feet every game.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I never liked him during his time here, he never ran for balls and always looked lackadaisical, i still wouldnt want him here now regardless of how many hes scored in his two last games

ThunderTundra
04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Any idiot could score with Beckham placing the ball on their feet every game.

True, but buddle is on a tear already this year, 3 in two games. I was having the same thoughts about Buddle watching the highlights from the game on Gol tonight. I wish we could have had a true midfielder for him to develop under while he was with us, he could have done alot here.

Super
04-02-2010, 10:01 PM

- Scott

Yes! 100% confident about that!

Yohan
04-02-2010, 10:03 PM
True, but buddle is on a tear already this year, 3 in two games. I was having the same thoughts about Buddle watching the highlights from the game on Gol tonight. I wish we could have had a true midfielder for him to develop under while he was with us, he could have done alot here.
Buddle is streaky, just like Cunningham. One year, he'll do well, the next, not so good. IIRC last year he didn't have a good year, though he was injured part of the season

Kinda like Gerba in terms of work rate actually

what ifs and more what ifs... hindsight. meh

Shakes McQueen
04-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Read this story.... http://bit.ly/97IsZA (http://bit.ly/97IsZA)

I suspect it's more likely that the system our players were coached into, played a big role in these guys not flourishing in Toronto.

At the same time, in the cases of guys like Buddle, and ESPECIALLY Cunny, I really have trouble pointing the finger anywhere but right back at them.

And I hate the counter-argument of "oh well, it's clear Cunny didn't like Carver, so would you play hard for a coach you didn't like?" as though that's an acceptable excuse. In any other professional sport in the world, not playing hard because you're sulking over the coaching staff, would quickly turn you into a toxic, unmoveable asset - and when coupled with low production, would likely get you perma-benched, or sent to the minors.

Cunny had many memorable chances that were his to miss - they weren't the fault of the club, the coaching, or the system. So many sitters, and easy finishes, that he botched - NCC two years ago, anyone?

Conor Casey wasn't lazy, but he wanted out of TO for personal reasons, so there isn't any controversy there.

- Scott

ThunderTundra
04-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Buddle is streaky, just like Cunningham. One year, he'll do well, the next, not so good. IIRC last year he didn't have a good year, though he was injured part of the season

For sure, but it can't be argued he is a far better player and more consistent with service, but in the same situation, any player would be better with better service. It's all certainly hindsight, we have what we have and I still love them all (Even Garcia though I want his ass gone, he's still wearing the crest :facepalm:)

jazzy
04-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Buddle, Casey and Cunningham are strikers who have seen a lot of success since leaving TFC. I believe that Casey wanted a trade to Colorado because his wife had a job there, so he's not really a good example of "failing at TFC". The other two however were SHIT with us - and so naturally we traded them. Perhaps their success away from TFC is because they play on great teams and get much better service.

and had coach's who had a less dinosaur idea of the game.....

ag futbol
04-03-2010, 10:46 AM
It's simple. Look there were a few guys here who shit the bed, but the vast majority who went on to play well were simply mis-used and coached by idiots here.

Because the way we assemble our team on a weekly basis is roughly equivalent to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBFzerJ1Ss

ag futbol
04-03-2010, 10:51 AM
it's not just the service though. Maybe some of you have selective memories, but all of those strikers have missed easy chances at TFC over the years... chances set up by midfielders.. chances a good striker would easily make.

It's not like they are finishing more of their chances once they leave TFC, they are just getting more chances.

The midfield we had in years 1 and 2 couldn't create against a USL team, forget MLS sides. The only way we could break down Montreal was to play wiff ball in from the wings. Not only was this brutally predictable and easy to defend against, our wingers were slow and couldn't cross for shit!

J .
04-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Those guys don't create goals for themselves and in Toronto they had a ridiculous amount of chances. Buddle was ran out of town for being lazy, same with Cunny and Casey wanted to be on the West Coast.

I do not lament these guys not being on our team at all. Cunningham didn't give a shit, Conor didnt want to be here and only Buddle looked like he had a chance to do something but we needed a CB which turned into Marshall.

Most teams dont play a Latin game that many people covet. Seattle is the closest thing and that has a lot to do with the their Fred's.

Buddle would have dont better with the current mid we have and Barrett opening up the field with his pace and work ethic. Nonetheless, TFC is going to a slower paced more disciplined way of playing, putting nine behind the ball and slowly moving the ball up field with the occasional ball over the top for a player to run onto.

Antoshka
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
buddle was god aweful for us. we had shitty midfield that couldnt really build a good attack and supply balls to feet for good shots on net. so all he did was stand around and look lost. never really tried to create anything, the fans got quite sick of him pretty fast. so he got traded. not sorry to not have buddle here anymore.. not sorry to not have cunny or conor casey either

Brooker
04-03-2010, 06:55 PM
and I thought my memory was bad. 2007 wasn't that long ago!

edmundo
04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
lots of guys we let go have gone on to better things check out this clip, hopefully most of you remember him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjswwXqqIuk

rocker
04-04-2010, 10:57 AM
It's not like they are finishing more of their chances once they leave TFC, they are just getting more chances.

The midfield we had in years 1 and 2 couldn't create against a USL team, forget MLS sides. The only way we could break down Montreal was to play wiff ball in from the wings. Not only was this brutally predictable and easy to defend against, our wingers were slow and couldn't cross for shit!

yup, but that's no defense of Edson Buddle :)

If we need to create tonnes and tonnes of chances just for Edson to score a goal here and there, there's no point in bothering with him. He was lazy and missed clear chances he did get.

But Cunny had lots of chances, so your point about the chances doesn't really fit later on. Dichio set him up so many times.

jabbronies
04-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Blame the turf! The excess bounce in the ball made it tough to time and finish. I believe even DeRo made that comment.

I think Cunny and Edson choked while playing here. Maybe they got freaked out by all the support and got cold feet when the time to finish came along...That and there was never a system in place when those guys were here, but that doesn't excuse them from missing the sitters they both had - more Cunny than Edson.

S_D
04-04-2010, 11:26 AM
no mention of the coaching?

Pookie
04-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Good points and if you step back and look at what we are doing, it is kinda silly.

We are debating the merits of a player(s) consistency. A player(s) who plays in a developmental league.

If we found that one consistent, hard working, perennial achiever, they wouldn't likely be still in the MLS.

It's sort of like lining up to debate whether grass is really green. An MLS player is what an MLS player is.

rocker
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
ya, but tell that to the fans who expect more and don't recognize that inconsistency is probably normal for these guys.

Do you stick it out with a Buddle for years, knowing he'll be up and down, when the fans are pissed off cuz he's missing sitters or seems lazy?

So many of TFC's strikers fit that mold (or try very very hard and miss lots of easy opportunities).

ensco
06-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Congratulations to him.

He subbed in today and thus became the first player ever to have worn the TFC colours and appear in a World Cup game.

Who'd of thunk it?

ManUtd4ever
06-12-2010, 05:31 PM
^^ Yup, and soon Edu and Guevara will make it 3 former Reds to appear in the World Cup...

J .
06-12-2010, 05:43 PM
He wasnt as bad as some remember nor as good. He requires service to be effective, which he didnt get here and he was not really positioning himself it seemed in great spots.

People here ragged he was lazy etc etc etc. Good for him for turning it around.

ArmenJBX
06-12-2010, 05:47 PM
^^ Yup, and soon Edu and Guevara will make it 3 former Reds to appear in the World Cup...

and Boyens too, for New Zealand :D

Blizzard
06-12-2010, 10:53 PM

Don't forget Andy Boyens for the Kiwi's.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1193/1308184815_51ae82855d_o.jpg

Dub Narcotic
06-13-2010, 04:02 AM
^ yes, Casey's wife's family lived in Colorado...he requested a trade and we accomodated him. Cunningham was shit and was practically run out of town. Buddle didn't show enough, but he wasn't really given much of an oportunity to prove himself either.

I believe Buddle was still struggling with 'personal problems' during his tenure at TFC. It was just bad luck we got him at that point in his career.

Brooker
06-13-2010, 04:08 AM
seeing Guevara captain a World Cup side will be something else....

hate to cheer for Honduras but if he scores I'll go crazy.

Flipityflu
06-13-2010, 04:57 AM
as has been mentioned, buddles problem here was lack of service from the midfield. its hard to score when nobody is putting in good balls to you.

besides, maybe you remember, but we were screaming for a central defender at the time, and as i remember, quite happy to get Marshall ;)

doh, i was going througfh ex TFC players at the world cup and totally forgot Boyens.

fetajr
06-14-2010, 01:25 PM
glad he was gone, still glad. He was lazy for TFC and we dont need him

__wowza
06-14-2010, 01:43 PM
are we really talking about this again?
look at the raptors.. we managed to have: stoudamire, mcgrady and carter on the team at the same time, yet never play on the court together.

individual players have success based off of a lot of different factors.

Derko
06-25-2010, 10:17 PM
boring!!!!