PDA

View Full Version : "A Season And A Half - One TFC Fan's Story For All"

Milky
04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Hello everyone!

I am a Toronto FC supporter and I have written a book that documents the honeymoon period of the club (back when we were all young and naive, collectively believing that Mo Johnson still knew what he was doing). ;) The book is entitled “A Season And A Half” and if you search for it on Facebook you can become a fan and then read more information about the book, including how to purchase it. There are two versions of the book available: a black and white version (that I highly recommend you buy) that is only $10.99 and a more expensive version that is $42. The more expensive version has colour pictures and better quality paper, but I could not bring the cost any lower than what it is and even I admit that it is a bit pricey, which is ultimately why I made the second black and white version as well, to give buyers a choice. In addition, 24% percent of the net proceeds will be donated to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation (and no, the number 24 was not chosen at random). ;)

I hope that at least some of you purchase the book as it presents a detailed history of the stadium location, club formation, as well as numerous other aspects of the club. I even mention The Red Patch Boys. ;) Also, I wrote the book specifically for fans such as yourselves and as far as I know it is the first Toronto FC book in existence, so that in itself makes it special. 

So far the book has sold moderately well and has received positive reviews. I am now trying to get Toronto FC on board too.

Even if you don’t buy the book, please spread the good word so that the legend of TFC can continue to capture the hearts of soccer fans the world over!

Toronto 'Til I Die!!!

Thank you and have a happy Easter. :)
Alan Laycock

P.S. Here are some quick links, but I encourage you to join the Facebook Fan Page, as it contains more information:

http://tinyurl.com/yc5d2zx (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Fyc5d2zx&h=235a9b167d7dbe993b23043a6c5f3526)
http://tinyurl.com/TFC-b-w

Milky
11-29-2010, 06:05 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you all know that you can buy the black & white version of this book (retail price $10.99) at the holiday discount price of 25% off!

Also, for today only (Monday the 29th) you can get a further 25% off of all lulu.com purchases if you use the code: CYBER25

Thanks and have a happy holidays!

Milky
11-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I should mention that you can read the first 10 or so pages for free online. Just click on where it says "Preview" underneath the book graphic. Cheers!

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/a-season-and-a-half---one-tfc-fans-story-for-all-(b-w)/6470802?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/2 (http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/a-season-and-a-half---one-tfc-fans-story-for-all-%28b-w%29/6470802?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/2)

TOBOR !
11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Congratulations on your second post in 8 months. I'd say you're more interested in pimping your book than supporting TFC - or perhaps one begat the other ? Chicken ? Egg ? Whatevs, I don't care.

You should rename this thread 'A Post and a Half' .

DangerRed
11-29-2010, 02:05 PM
^LULZ.

Azerban
11-29-2010, 02:09 PM
torrent plz

Oldtimer
11-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Note that lulu.com is a self-publishing company. Anyone here could publish their own stuff in a lulu book.

MartinUtd
11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Congratulations on your second post in 8 months. I'd say you're more interested in pimping your book than supporting TFC - or perhaps one begat the other ? Chicken ? Egg ? Whatevs, I don't care.

You should rename this thread 'A Post and a Half' .

lame, don't be such a cynic

TOBOR !
11-29-2010, 03:05 PM
^ Why not ? Kindly explain, but please be brief - take it to PMs if you want. Thanks.

MartinUtd
11-29-2010, 04:52 PM
The guy just wrote a book about TFC, wants to drum up interest but isn't an active RPB. Saying stuff like that is akin to "where's your membership fee." I just find it to be jaded, that's all.

Azerban
11-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Throughout the course of the book famous TFC players and staff are met and interacted with, and the supporters themselves grow into their own unique family.if you can't understand why someone might take offence to a person joining the board with the sole purpose of trying to hock a book to us about, presumably, ourselves

welp

Milky
11-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not a Red Patch Boy, but I read these forums from time to time and I used to listen to the Red Patch Live podcasts too. I've followed Toronto FC since day 0, I've actually written a book about Toronto FC, I've gone on road trips, and I'm a SSH in the Supporter's Section. Pretty much I do everything except post on this particular message board. Nevertheless, you fine people are my target market and if you don't want to buy my book it's not a big deal. Cheer up, it's Christmas! At any rate, at least this gives us something to talk about in the offseason. :canada:

I should also mention that on the second link above (in the thread starter) you can click on "Preview" under the book graphic and then read the first 10 or so pages for free, to see if it's something you'd like to read further.

Derko
11-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I am interested in what the bloke has written.

TOBOR !
11-29-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm sure you're a really nice guy with nothing but the best of intentions, but 8 months ago you started a thread with the sole purpose of peddling your wares and only turn up now to remind us that it's a great gift idea. I'm sorry friend, but that's just poor forum etiquette.

rocker
11-30-2010, 12:51 AM
somebody give me a book review first before i fork out $42. ;)

Kyle_121
11-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Not too many pages and not a lot of ink per page. This should have been a pamphlet, not a book.

http://imgur.com/LDzaT.png

Milky
11-30-2010, 04:19 AM
Haha, yeah, trying to upload anything on Lulu.com is a bit of a lesson in self-restraint. The number of times I had to re-edit the smallest detail in order to make it load properly tested my patience on a number of levels. At the end of the day I was happy enough with the size, though in an ideal world I would have wanted to have shurnk the pages somewhat. The book ended up being a little larger than I wanted but unfortunately Lulu's book size options are fairly arbitrary.

Anyways, I appologize if I offended anyone in here. I will try to post more often on this board and less often on others.

Out of curiousity, how do you guys feel about Dan Gargan here? Is he a Saint on these boards due to his loveable personality, or just your average MLS utility player? Personaly, I prefer Pozniak to Gargan; I've had my fill of towels being thrown in players' faces during interviews, though he does bring something to the dressing room that's unique (I suppose).

Milky
11-30-2010, 04:27 AM
Kyle & co., I forget the exact number of words but it was significant in the end, between 30,000 and 40,000. In any regard it was comparable to my MA thesis in length so I assure you that there is some good information in there. Plus it's good just to be nostalgic sometimes. :)

Don't buy the expensive version of the book. Buy the cheaper version first (that's why I made the cheaper version). It's the same price as a beer at BMO and a quarter of whatever I make from the book goes to charity. Believe me, add in the costs of what I've had to spend to promote the book and I am making very little from sales. This was a labour of love, not some get-rich scheme. I'm not trying to rip anyone off here. I promise you that.

Stouffville_RPB
11-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Wow just yesterday this thread had 2 posts all year.

TOBOR !
11-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Milky : Interestingly your early opinion of soccer would have been accurate in the early 1900's. Perhaps you are an anachronism.

In any case, please hang around the RPB boards and share your thoughts and opinions (and memories). Make an effort to meet one or two folks and have a beer and share a laugh.

Then sell us your book.

Oblio2
11-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Milky!!!!!!
Its been a long time......since SNET Boards. I'll take a look at yer book

Milky
11-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Oblio!!! How have you been? :D It's good to see that you're still alive and typing. The boys at the SN Forums have been lamenting your absence and Busby and Thom in particular have been longing for "the good old days" again. I would have thought that you'd have been posting a lot more now due to your beloved Tottenham actually being a force to be reckoned with! (Lovely result on the weekend btw).

I'll tell the other guys you say hi, but you should really make an apperence yourself sometime too. :)

TOBOR !
11-30-2010, 09:46 AM
^geez... Get a room...

tfcleeds
11-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Milky!!!!!!
Its been a long time......since SNET Boards. I'll take a look at yer book

I knew I recognized that name from somewhere...fuck the Sportsnet boards (was banned for something innocuous, not even soccer related).

Oblio2
11-30-2010, 09:57 AM
I knew I recognized that name from somewhere...fuck the Sportsnet boards (was banned for something innocuous, not even soccer related).

HA HA HA.....Ive been gone from the SNET Boards for a while. I was a MOD for a long time....I bent over backwards in stopping Soccer fans getting banned. Good times....

tfcleeds
11-30-2010, 10:22 AM
^Yep, I didn't post a lot, but that was my main footy board before I joined RPB. Sure enough, I make one little comment on the Ottawa Senators thread when they were beaten in the Stanley Cup a few years back, and the powers that be saw fit to ban me.

Milky
11-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Tfcleeds, I'm sorry that you got banned. The mods are more lenient now, but the main thing is that you've found a place where you feel at home.

Oblio was a mod?! Geez.... no wonder you decided to get out of dodge! I do not envy having that job.

crozack
11-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Give this guy a break!
He wrote a book on our beloved TFC.
Columbus fans would be so lucky......most are illiterate!

TOBOR !
11-30-2010, 09:04 PM
^ I'm pretty sure that THOU SHALL NOT SPAM is one of the ten commandments.

That said, we've moved on.

LesH
11-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Not too many pages and not a lot of ink per page. This should have been a pamphlet, not a book.

WOW, that's called a page????
No offense, but in a normal book it's about twice as much ink per page.

greatwhitenorf
11-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Sample page of one, still-not-over paragraph with 16 lines containing 10 'I's, three 'my's, a 'me' and a partridge in a family tree.

And a poignant reference to '...a pass-time sport...'.

Strong candidate in the Self-Aggrandizement category in this year's Vic Rauter Quality Sawker Jernalism A Wards. Although Cathole Kelly will run him close.

TOBOR !
11-30-2010, 11:10 PM
There's no need to be unkind.

Azerban
11-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Columbus fans would be so lucky.

i 'write a book about the crew' every time i take a shit hope this helps

Azerban
11-30-2010, 11:27 PM

well, technically it's just after i shit

LesH
12-01-2010, 08:14 PM

I guess your books' pages are printed on that high tech new book paper called "toilet paper", and the ink used is brown.