PDA

View Full Version : major league soccer soccer dot com is a bad website

Azerban
04-02-2010, 08:52 AM
http://www.fakesigi.com/2010/04/mls-web-site-disaster.html

A very interesting article about the absolute shitshow that has been the rollout of mlssoccer.com. It's pretty long, but it's a better use of your time than reading the thrice-annual "speculate which player we should sign as DP and by speculate I mean name players essentially at random from my personal favourite European B-League" thread.

No, it really is. That thread is bad and everyone involved should feel bad.

woolly
04-02-2010, 09:07 AM
http://www.fakesigi.com/2010/04/mls-web-site-disaster.html

A very interesting article about the absolute shitshow that has been the rollout of mlssoccer.com. It's pretty long, but it's a better use of your time than reading the thrice-annual "speculate which player we should sign as DP and by speculate I mean name players essentially at random from my personal favourite European B-League" thread.

No, it really is. That thread is bad and everyone involved should feel bad.

Lol, someone was gonna start that thread anyway!!!

menefreghista
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for posting this. It is an interesting (yet exhaustive) read.

But his general point is dead on.

For example, yesterday I wanted to get TFC's TV schedule off their website, yet the new site doesn't list it! How fucking stupid is that?

I had to find it on the forum.

mmmikey
04-02-2010, 02:41 PM
his posts translate to a software engineering lecture any true IT project manager will have heard: "how software projects go wrong". quality was thrown out the door on this one.

menefreghista
04-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Its an interesting read though. Essentially they weren't ready and did a half assed job.

Which is shocking for a professional sports organization.

mmmikey
04-02-2010, 02:50 PM
oh i agree its a good read.. read it and commented on it.. i do web development and PM for a living so this subject is very important to me. :)

MartinUtd
04-02-2010, 04:29 PM
The guy that wrote that has a real axe to grind. I only got about half way though before I had to stop. Is there a part where he actually critiques the site or does the article just bitch about alleged nepotism and its results throughout?

Roogsy
04-02-2010, 05:49 PM
The guy that wrote that has a real axe to grind. I only got about half way though before I had to stop. Is there a part where he actually critiques the site or does the article just bitch about alleged nepotism and its results throughout?

You must have not read very far then because in fact he does that very thing for most of his blog, and gets quite technical and specific. I'd be interested in hearing the reaction from MLS if there is one. Large entities that have screwed the pooch like this tend to have the "head buried in the sand" syndrome.

rocker
04-02-2010, 05:57 PM
but almost the first half of the blog where he slams the guy who runs the site apparently for his lack of experience is kinda lame. Stick to the technical points and don't speculate that he got his job because of nepotism. It looks petty.

Roogsy
04-02-2010, 06:10 PM
but almost the first half of the blog where he slams the guy who runs the site apparently for his lack of experience is kinda lame. Stick to the technical points and don't speculate that he got his job because of nepotism. It looks petty.

There are two sides to this point.

1) That's how most people land jobs, especially plum ones, however,

2) Usually those landing it are qualified to do the job and have the advantage of "knowing" someone which is what gives them the edge of landing the job over other candidates. In this particular case, he points that out but also highlights that it seems to have been the defining factor in his getting the job rather than his qualifications, in which case, the blogger pointing it out is a valid point to make. If in fact the Director of Digital Marketing is that lacking in technical qualifications, then MLS definitely screwed the pooch.

jabbronies
04-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Not a fan of the new mls site. I had high hopes, but they feel flat on their face in both design and usability.