PDA

View Full Version : Kosic back on trial - Frei on the way out?

ag futbol
04-01-2010, 04:51 PM
http://twitter.com/sportsnetsoccer

Three new trialists at TFC training this morning and goalkeeper Kosic is back as well

Considering we just signed Conway, what other conclusion is there to draw? Frei is being shopped. It's the rumour that just won't go away.

T0R0NT0 FC
04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Any news on who the trialists are?

ArmenJBX
04-01-2010, 05:14 PM
No idea, but I heard somewhere that Frei might be a swap deal for Davy Arnaud

Bluenose13
04-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Please tell me that 1 of the trialists is a 6'4 monster centerback.....pretty please!

CretanBull
04-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Not possible...we couldn't fit Arnaud's contract under the cap and KC have no use for a GK.

ArmenJBX
04-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Not possible...we couldn't fit Arnaud's contract under the cap and KC have no use for a GK.

That's what I was thinking too, just something by buddies were talking about a couple days ago.

ensco
04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
How do these things get started?

KC have to sell tickets, they base their whole campaign around two guys. They will never trade Arnaud or Conrad. Not even for a really good package, let alone Frei.

ArmenJBX
04-01-2010, 06:07 PM

KC have to sell tickets, they base their whole campaign around two guys. They will never trade Arnaud or Conrad. Not even for a really good package, let alone Frei.

Preki and Arnaud played together, they have some kinda history at KC...

It's not too far a stretch is it?

CretanBull
04-01-2010, 06:17 PM
^A stretch that Preki would want him? No, of course not...there's about 15 managers in the league that want Arnaud. What's a massive stretch is that KC would consider trading him. And IF he were on the market, they'd get A LOT more than Frei for him...other teams could - and would - out bid us.

ArmenJBX
04-01-2010, 06:19 PM
^A stretch that Preki would want him? No, of course not...there's about 15 managers in the league that want Arnaud. What's a massive stretch is that KC would consider trading him. And IF he were on the market, they'd get A LOT more than Frei for him...other teams could - and would - out bid us.

I'm not too familiar with him, is he really that valuable? :O

J .
04-01-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm not too familiar with him, is he really that valuable? :O

He's quite a good player, but very streaky from what I've read. He would be a better striker option than any of the guys we have.

Frei could be heading Europe bound and I think Mo is trying to get a useable player for him.

Maybe send Frei to Columbus for Iro, we do need a CB.

TorCanSoc
04-01-2010, 07:04 PM
He has a cannon of a left foot and a howitzer of a right foot ! Its ridiculous the power of his shots. Has great skill with the ball as well.

tfc2007
04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Why not just sell Frei and take that money to buy the 3rd DP slot?

denime
04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
If Frei is on his way out than he is on his way out from MLS.Why would we trade Frei for MLS player when we can build the roof at BMO field when we sell him in Europe. ;)

Blizzard
04-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Why not just sell Frei and take that money to buy the 3rd DP slot?

Well ya, exactly. There's no way in the world that Mo is going to trade Frei, a keeper with such great potential ... and who is pretty damned good now, to anybody within MLS.

We don't want to play against him. He's either a Red or he's going to go somewhere where we won't be playing against him .... unless it's an international friendly sometime!

jloome
04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Well ya, exactly. There's no way in the world that Mo is going to trade Frei, a keeper with such great potential ... and who is pretty damned good now, to anybody within MLS.

We don't want to play against him. He's either a Red or he's going to go somewhere where we won't be playing against him .... unless it's an international friendly sometime!

Conway's a very good keeper. THey might do it if the payback was exceptional, say a top scorer and a top central defender.

CretanBull
04-01-2010, 08:00 PM

It was widely reported that they were shopping him at the draft, so its not out of the question. We need to improve/add depth and we have very few assetts to trade away. I don't want to see Frei leave, but Conway is a cheap - and pretty good - replacement so moving Frei makes sense on some level.

DOMIN8R
04-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Jeff Parke might be someone we are looking at. He declined a Sounders offer today, apparently.

I always thought he would make a great Red.

Defender Jeff Parke is no longer trying out and has left unsigned, according to Hanauer. Parke still has a standing contract offer but will likely explore other options. Seattle and Parke have been unable to agree on a contract since the team acquired his rights in the 2009 expansion draft.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2011504299_sounders02.html

On a side note....
Two new goalkeepers have joined camp: Kenny Kronholm from Germany and Brian Edwards, most recently with Toronto FC

neuf
04-01-2010, 08:57 PM
He has a cannon of a left foot and a howitzer of a right foot ! Its ridiculous the power of his shots. Has great skill with the ball as well.

Yeah, I remember him scoring at least one beautiful goal (possibly two, I can't really recall) against us last season.

Nuvinho
04-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Do we still own Edwards rights?

Edwards and 1 of the 10 3rd round picks we have for Parke?

S_D
04-01-2010, 10:21 PM
parke comes with a 4 game suspension doesn't he?

oxygenatedbrain
04-01-2010, 11:00 PM
He sat out his first four games with Vancouver last year...I understand he and the USSF consider the suspension to have been served.

CretanBull
04-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I remember him scoring at least one beautiful goal (possibly two, I can't really recall) against us last season.

He scored two against us in the season opener, both screamers from a distance.

arbogast
04-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Any news on who the trialists are?

Please tell me that 1 of the trialists is a 6'4 monster centerback.....pretty please!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=19833&page=20

A Latvian LB and Russian RB

TFC OZZ
04-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Wouldn't mind some kind of swing deal that involves Jimmy Conrad, man I love that guy. Wishful thinking? Perhaps.

deeznutz
04-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Selling frei now while his stock is high is a good idea...Anymore games like last week where he thinks hes playing left D on the Canadian hockey team lineing up a forward in the trolly tracks will sure get him as much as a bag of popcorn in NYC.

kelzag
04-02-2010, 10:15 AM
The Latvian and Russian are close to signing.

prizby
04-02-2010, 10:19 AM

what is the basis to this statement, they pretty much sell out their stadium every game?

Carts
04-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Selling frei now while his stock is high is a good idea...Anymore games like last week where he thinks hes playing left D on the Canadian hockey team lineing up a forward in the trolly tracks will sure get him as much as a bag of popcorn in NYC.

I'm not even sure his stock is still high in the MLS...

Teams know his weakness, and that is send it into the box in the air. There's a better than 50/50 chance he'll attack a ball that he shouldn't, and then things happen...

I'd take an opposing player on a breakaway, 1-v-1 situation on Frei, over a ball that is falling about 12-yards from the goalline... Frei gets out and gets big better than anyone in the MLS 1-v-1, but his decision making on balls in the air needs to improve...

That being said, with a solid backline, that Frei is confident in - I bet the bad decisions go down 80%. Right now I think he feels he needs to go out and clear the ball, or capture the ball, b/c if he doesn't Garcia will pass it to an attacker...

Carts...

Globetrotter
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM

That's what I was thinking too, just something by buddies were talking about a couple days ago.

You heard somewhere (making it sound somewhat possibly legit), then very next post you come out and say "your buddies" said it. Oh the internet. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Ossington Mental Youth
04-02-2010, 10:47 AM
The Latvian and Russian are close to signing.

any more info on the russian?

Shaughno
04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I wanna know what's up with that Latvian's knees...

ArmenJBX
04-02-2010, 11:14 AM
You heard somewhere (making it sound somewhat possibly legit), then very next post you come out and say "your buddies" said it. Oh the internet. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Same guys told me that LaBrocca was being talked about a week before that happened, so I dunno...

Pookie
04-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Right now I think he feels he needs to go out and clear the ball, or capture the ball, b/c if he doesn't Garcia will pass it to an attacker...

Carts...

... well at least he doesn't have to worry about Guevara's back passes to no one

Dirk Diggler
04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Hopefully we won't have to regret cutting Edwards in the near future ... seems like another case of Mo making moves without thinking them through.

Blizzard
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Hopefully we won't have to regret cutting Edwards in the near future ... seems like another case of Mo making moves without thinking them through.

Why? Edwards was replaced with a decent keeper in Conway and now we are looking at a strong Kosic again.

If Frei were to depart and we were left with a tandem of Kosic and Conway, we'd be in very good shape.

tfc2007
04-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Why? Edwards was replaced with a decent keeper in Conway and now we are looking at a strong Kosic again.

If Frei were to depart and we were left with a tandem of Kosic and Conway, we'd be in very good shape.

But is the time invested in looking at goalkeepers really needed? Their was nothing wrong with Edwards and Frei working together. Okay we replaced Edwards, do we really need to look at replacing Frei? How about a CB or striker?

J .
04-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Frei is coming off his GA contract soon I believe and the same with Edwards...I believe...