PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Apr.01

denime
04-01-2010, 05:24 AM
Mornin'

Toronto FC executive Tom Anselmi, please take a bow (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/james-on-soccer/toronto-fc-executive-tom-anselmi-please-take-a-bow/article1519614/)

Watch Grass Grow (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1733)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/):)

CretanBull
04-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Mornin' D

SSG....:drool5:<3

zamperina
04-01-2010, 06:46 AM
SSG is hotter than today's weather!

Eastend
04-01-2010, 06:50 AM
SSG needs to eat.

CretanBull
04-01-2010, 06:53 AM
SSG needs to eat.

I've got something that I'd like to feed her.

Beach_Red
04-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Ha, that's a funny article. At first I thought it was real:

Tom Anselmi, the Toronto FC executive vice-president, aside from courteous acknowledgments regarding the successful bid to host the MLS Open Cup also did an excellent job of holding the technical side of TFC accountable for the goal of making this year’s MLS playoff’s. This leadership decision and forthright approach in tackling what was on everyone’s mind was needed and was smart.

Then I realized it's the April Fools article.

"Leadership... forthrite approach," ha ha, that's funny, good one.

Happy April Fools.

Manutd27
04-01-2010, 07:18 AM
I've got something that I'd like to feed her.

A chipbutty right......lol!

111_DrummerBoy
04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
I like pic 16! Good ol' Calgary girl.

CretanBull
04-01-2010, 08:03 AM
I like pic 16! Good ol' Calgary girl.

Proof that no one is perfect :smilielol5:

drewski
04-01-2010, 08:12 AM
awesome morning guys!

we're getting a striker and a roof over the south stands!

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/04/historic-signing-for-tfc-imminent.html

Paulbeirne (http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne)
Finalizing plans and approvals for roof structure for south seats. Finally!

:lol:

CretanBull
04-01-2010, 08:16 AM
We could use Marta. No joke.

boban
04-01-2010, 08:31 AM
SSG needs to eat.
:confused:

But I do have some Croatian kobasa for her if you insist. :lol:

drewski
04-01-2010, 08:49 AM
We could use Marta. No joke.

I think Metallica said it best

xCF19cBWb0I

CoachGT
04-01-2010, 09:31 AM
The more I look at the MLS Cup stuff, the more I like seeing the mayor wearing the Dichio Scarf!

keem-o-sabi
04-01-2010, 09:33 AM
not posting coed girls as today's SSG is smoking hot.

Roogsy
04-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Today's SSG.... :eek:

Oh my god. She might be the one of the best they've ever had.

Mojo
04-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Shes one of the best I've ever had.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

James17930
04-01-2010, 09:53 AM
SSG needs to eat.

You're joking, right?

April Fool's, right?

Technorgasm
04-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Calgary Flames = FAil

I went by BMO. . . the grass is one of the sexiest things I have ever seen

Waggy
04-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Not to derail this thread on the sunshine girl (my 2 cents; great bod, but face is ok. not that I'd complain), but

FAN590

MLS is tweeting they wil have some"big' news around 11am et regarding Designating Players..
18 minutes ago via web

Heres the mls tweet (www.twitter.com/mls)

Around 11am ET today, www.mlssoccer.com will have some big news about Designated Players...
37 minutes ago via Seesmic

drewski
04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
nothing yet. and given the day, I don't believe anything till after noon.

Waggy
04-01-2010, 10:19 AM
This is killing me. I'm trying to work on a paper but I can't concentrate while I keep refreshing twitter and the mls site. Hurry uuuuuuuppp. After some of the comments at the cup news conference, a new DP slot coming in would have me fairly optimistic MLSE would go balls out to try and get TFC in the Cup. Then again it's TFC, I probably shouldn't get my hopes up too much

MUFC_Niagara
04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Is the roof for real or is that a joke as well.

drewski
04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
a friend of mine told me she was at a bar last weekend and a short drunk scottish guy in a kilt started chatting up her table and said he was here doing engineering, but originally was a "pro" in scotland and had been offered a contract from TFC but turned it down cause he had a bum ankle that he didnt' want to further hurt cause he didn't want to it to ruin his engineering career.

the sad thing is, I wouldn't have put it past Mo to actually offer this guy a deal :(

Nuvinho
04-01-2010, 10:26 AM
damn tease:

MLS_Insider (http://twitter.com/MLS_Insider)

Hold on tight: big announcement coming and it has nothing to do with the date on your calendars.

drewski
04-01-2010, 10:27 AM

it was a joke.

here's his follow up tweet

For all you non believers, here's what the roof over the south seats looks like. http://yfrog.com/5ypqqcj

Waggy
04-01-2010, 10:27 AM

It was a joke. Kinda. He was talking about the players dugout

http://img214.yfrog.com/i/pqqc.jpg/

When I saw the 2nd tweet, I gotta admit I fell for it until I clicked the picture. Good one Paul. Good one.

Edit: Ahhhh Drewski, you beat me to it. Either way, if this MLS thing turns out to be an April Fools joke, I'm going to be SUPER pissed. Some things you don't joke about

Nuvinho
04-01-2010, 10:30 AM
MLS_Insider (http://twitter.com/MLS_Insider)

BREAKING: MLS adds 2nd DP slot, team option to "purchase" a 3rd. No fooling. http://bit.ly/a235zg (http://bit.ly/a235zg)

Nuvinho
04-01-2010, 10:30 AM
NEW YORK — Fans who dream of watching the likes of Thierry Henry, Raul and Ronaldinho on an MLS field at the same time can wake up. That dream is a reality.
MLSsoccer.com has learned that the league is set to update the Designated Player rule to allow every MLS club to sign two DPs. Teams will also have the option to purchase a third DP slot.
The league is expected to make an announcement this morning.
In a mechanism that works similar to a luxury tax in other professional sports, an MLS team seeking a third DP slot would be required to pay $250,000 that would be evenly shared as allocation money with all the other MLS clubs that do not have three DPs.
The Designated Player rule, popularly referred to as the “Beckham” rule, was first introduced in 2007. It allowed MLS teams to pay a “designated” player above the club’s league designated salary budget.
Each DP player signing will now count as $335,000 toward a team’s salary budget and $167,500 if the DP is signed mid-season. According to the league, the $335,000 figure represents approximately 13 percent of a team’s salary budget. Previously, teams were charged $415,000 against the salary budget per DP. A team can also use its allocation money to bring that salary budget hit down to just $185,000.
MLS confirmed that these new rules will be effective immediately. Also, unlike the previous DP rule, which expired at the end of the 2009 season, these new DP rules carry no expiration date.
It is worth noting that DP slots cannot be traded between teams, nor can a team acquire a 4th slot or more.
Also, DP slots can be used to sign existing MLS players. And in one more twist, if a Designated Player is transferred to a club in another country, the MLS team will recoup the money spent on the DP before the league transfer split kicks in.
According to the league, the Galaxy’s Landon Donovan will count as a DP while New York will be compensated with $70,000 of allocation money for the second DP slot the club acquired two years ago.
It all seems like a mathematical and administrative nightmare at this point, but it should make a few dreams come true for fans.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-01-2010, 10:32 AM
SSG needs to eat.
Inclined to agree.

Chevy
04-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Let the speculation begin in 3...2...1......

Nuvinho
04-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Does that make DeRo our 2nd DP automatically? He was making $357K base, $426K guaranteed

Waggy
MLS_Insider
BREAKING: MLS adds 2nd DP slot, team option to "purchase" a 3rd. No fooling. http://bit.ly/a235zg
4 minutes ago via web
Retweeted by MLS and 6 others

I just almost got thrown out of the library THREE DP SLOTS?! WHAT?! (must. refrain. from obvious. joke.) BUT THREE DP SLOTS?! YAAAAAAAAA

Sooooo, mlsintoronto, any plans?

boban
Does that make DeRo our 2nd DP automatically? He was making $357K base, $426K guaranteed
I hope not. Would be a waste.

Boondaddy
04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
It was a joke. Kinda. He was talking about the players dugout

http://img214.yfrog.com/i/pqqc.jpg/

When I saw the 2nd tweet, I gotta admit I fell for it until I clicked the picture. Good one Paul. Good one.

Edit: Ahhhh Drewski, you beat me to it. Either way, if this MLS thing turns out to be an April Fools joke, I'm going to be SUPER pissed. Some things you don't joke about

very clever....

boban
04-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Well throughout the latest CBA I have been hearing that Toronto is one of only 3 profitable clubs and would welcome a much higher salary cap than what is currently in place.
With the addition of 2 more DP slots lets see how long we will have to wait to see them get filled. Better not be the 2/12 years we waited for the 1st slot to be filled.

Auzzy
04-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Hmm, new CB and new striker, 3 spots & done. Would be hard to keep DeRo happy though, w/o giving giving him something out of this...

Auzzy
04-01-2010, 10:40 AM
DP discussion continuing at http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21338

boban
04-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Hmm, new CB and new striker, 3 spots & done. Would be hard to keep DeRo happy though, w/o giving giving him something out of this...
Fuck'em.
And you get 2 forward thinking DP's.
We have one defensive Dp already.

drewski
04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
we don't get 3 spots automatically, its a max of 3. we get 2 and can trade for another one.

do we even have cap room to add a second DP?

Nuvinho
04-01-2010, 10:44 AM
I hope not. Would be a waste.

DeRo would complain, don't you think if we brought in someone else as a DP. This whole thing from last year wanting more money and complaining he wasn't a DP, etc.

Boondaddy
04-01-2010, 10:45 AM
we don't get 3 spots automatically, its a max of 3. we get 2 and can trade for another one.

can't trade for a DP slot. You gotta buy it from the league outright.

flambe
04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I gotta be honest, I don't think DeRo is worth DP money. It's tricky cause he's right on the lip, salary wise.

And the 3rd slot costs cold hard cash, that get's distributed among the teams that don't have the 3rd spot.

This is very exciting news, not only adding one spot but two shows good forward thinking from MLS IMO.

boban
04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
DeRo would complain, don't you think if we brought in someone else as a DP. This whole thing from last year wanting more money and complaining he wasn't a DP, etc.
Like I said fuck'em
And if he shit disturbs in the dressing room trade him.

Waggy
04-01-2010, 10:48 AM

Maybe thats why Robbo and Gerba went for nothing? Maybe Mo actually did have a plan after all?! Come on Mo! Prove me wrong! I'll gladly change my sig, like Nike says: Just do it!

edit: if we use one of the new DP slots on Dero I will be so so so disappointed. Go out there and make a splash. We deserve our Ljungberg.

ManUtd4ever
04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
NEW YORK — Fans who dream of watching the likes of Thierry Henry, Raul and Ronaldinho on an MLS field at the same time can wake up. That dream is a reality.
MLSsoccer.com has learned that the league is set to update the Designated Player rule to allow every MLS club to sign two DPs. Teams will also have the option to purchase a third DP slot.
The league is expected to make an announcement this morning.
In a mechanism that works similar to a luxury tax in other professional sports, an MLS team seeking a third DP slot would be required to pay $250,000 that would be evenly shared as allocation money with all the other MLS clubs that do not have three DPs.
The Designated Player rule, popularly referred to as the “Beckham” rule, was first introduced in 2007. It allowed MLS teams to pay a “designated” player above the club’s league designated salary budget.
Each DP player signing will now count as $335,000 toward a team’s salary budget and $167,500 if the DP is signed mid-season. According to the league, the $335,000 figure represents approximately 13 percent of a team’s salary budget. Previously, teams were charged $415,000 against the salary budget per DP. A team can also use its allocation money to bring that salary budget hit down to just $185,000.
MLS confirmed that these new rules will be effective immediately. Also, unlike the previous DP rule, which expired at the end of the 2009 season, these new DP rules carry no expiration date.
It is worth noting that DP slots cannot be traded between teams, nor can a team acquire a 4th slot or more.
Also, DP slots can be used to sign existing MLS players. And in one more twist, if a Designated Player is transferred to a club in another country, the MLS team will recoup the money spent on the DP before the league transfer split kicks in.
According to the league, the Galaxy’s Landon Donovan will count as a DP while New York will be compensated with $70,000 of allocation money for the second DP slot the club acquired two years ago.
It all seems like a mathematical and administrative nightmare at this point, but it should make a few dreams come true for fans.

This is a substantial development for the MLS as a whole and will benefit the large market clubs to some extent as well. I assume that TFC would be among the upper echelon of clubs willing to invest in the 3rd DP option once the cap space is available. It is now concievable that our roster might include 3 world class players in the near future!

onemanbarmyarmy
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM

DeRo couldn't complain if we got the right DP. Would he figure that he deserves the money over say Raul?

Boondaddy
04-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Following up on our previous post (http://www.bit.ly/a235zg), MLS Insider can now reveal further details pertaining to changes in the structure of Major League Soccer’s Designated Player program. Under the new rules, a club’s salary budget will be charged $335,000 for its first Designated Player under contract, $335,000 for its second Designated Player under contract and $335,000 if it signs a third Designated Player. If a Designated Player joins a club’s roster in the middle of the season, that club’s salary budget for the year will be charged $167,500.

The previous budget charge for a club’s first Designated Player was $415,000.
Additionally, clubs will have the option of using allocation funds to “buy down” the budget charge of a designated player. The reduced charge may not be less than $150,000.

These changes to the Designated Player rule are effective immediately.

drewski
04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
NYRB will like this, now they can get Henry AND Raul. haha

Waggy
04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Well there are rumors that Torres is getting transfered so Pool can pay its debts, a guy can dream right? Ok, maybe too many :drinking: haha. This ruined my essay. Ruined it. I'm so excited I can hardly see straight. I'm trying to explain on MSN to my non MLS fan friends how huge this is for TFC, and potentially Seattle and LA. There now can actually be a big 3 or 4 in this league!!

Shaughno
04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
So... that free's up almost a $100k from JDG's salary... but puts DeRo in DP2 status, does it not?

Boondaddy
04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Maybe thats why Robbo and Gerba went for nothing? Maybe Mo actually did have a plan after all?! Come on Mo! Prove me wrong! I'll gladly change my sig, like Nike says: Just do it!

edit: if we use one of the new DP slots on Dero I will be so so so disappointed. Go out there and make a splash. We deserve our Ljungberg.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....maybe.

Waggy
04-01-2010, 11:02 AM
So... that free's up almost a $100k from JDG's salary... but puts DeRo in DP2 status, does it not?

Why does it? Wouldn't that require a renegotiation of his contract first? Just because the cap hit a DP causes is 350 now doesn't mean every salary over that amount becomes a DP contract right? Unless I don't understand, which is very possible, potentially probable. I hate this stupid complicated cap stuff.

gtaguy
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
news is out .. sorry if already posted

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-expands-designated-player-rule

Shaughno
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Why does it? Wouldn't that require a renegotiation of his contract first? Just because the cap hit a DP causes is 350 now doesn't mean every salary over that amount becomes a DP contract right? Unless I don't understand, which is very possible, potentially probable. I hate this stupid complicated cap stuff.

No idea.. I'm pretty sure he makes more than that amount though, does he not?

Waggy
04-01-2010, 11:09 AM
No idea.. I'm pretty sure he makes more than that amount though, does he not?

Ya I think he was making 425 or 450 as I recall. This would all be a lot easier if MLS would just have a current list of players and salary info. I hope he doesnt get grandfathered in as a DP. Otherwise, Dero I love ya but I'm sure Vancouver could use you. We have players to sign! haha

Oldtimer
04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Actually, if they made DeRo a second DP, the cap hit would be less!

devioustrevor
04-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Why would it require a renegotiation of his contract. The money he's making is still the same, he just now counts less against the Cap.

Waggy
04-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Why would it require a renegotiation of his contract. The money he's making is still the same, he just now counts less against the Cap.

The cap hit a DP causes a team is 350 000/year, that doesnt mean every contract above that becomes a DP contract. IF he were to sign a DP deal he would count less against the cap, but I'd rather have Dero making 100k more and an actual DP than have an extra 100k to sign a player

Dunkers
04-01-2010, 04:51 PM
i thought dero signed for the league max, which was 450,000. It doesnt sound like there has been a change to the league max, so i dont see why dero would be counted as a DP. Not to mention dero renegotiated back when we had all that allocation money sitting around, so i wouldnt be suprised if we used some of that to lower his cap hit