PDA

View Full Version : G20 Summit TFC Galaxy Game

Glenchen29
03-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Has this come up yet?

TFC are playing LA at 7:30pm on Saturday June 26th, meanwhile the G20 Summit is happening at the same time, June 26 and 27th. Now what does this have to do with BMO?

Currently I am working at Union Station and I have been told not to bother comming into work the week before, my wife works for a major bank downtown and they are being told numerous stories and all the banks are freaking out.

Bottom line Union Station may be shut down on that weekend, how are east enders and people travelling through Union Station going to get to the game?

brad
03-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Has this come up yet?

TFC are playing LA at 7:30pm on Saturday June 26th, meanwhile the G20 Summit is happening at the same time, June 26 and 27th. Now what does this have to do with BMO?

Currently I am working at Union Station and I have been told not to bother comming into work the week before, my wife works for a major bank downtown and they are being told numerous stories and all the banks are freaking out.

Bottom line Union Station may be shut down on that weekend, how are east enders and people travelling through Union Station going to get to the game?

Bloor-Danforth line to Dufferin, catch the bus straight down to BMO.

Yeoman
03-31-2010, 06:08 PM
i've got alot of friends that'll be dealing with this (heck I was almost in it myself)
they'll be passing along info once they know what's going down for sure.
two weeks out, then you can start sweating out the info
because nothing will be in concrete till at least two or three weeks out.

Jay P
03-31-2010, 06:12 PM
nothing will be in concrete till at least two or three weeks out.

nothing will be set in stone until about mid june. Life still needs to go on so expect delays. That is about the only certain thing. (oh and the need to carry proper ID everywhere)

Yeoman
03-31-2010, 06:14 PM
i'm just putting the army way on it
nobody'll know anything for 100% sure until two or three weeks out before the g20, since after all, the army will be on the ground in a supporting role

Yohan
03-31-2010, 06:21 PM
will there be a lot of shooting of dirty hippies?

Yeoman
03-31-2010, 06:23 PM
one could dream
one could dream
i just wish i would be allowed to use my riot training for this one

prizby
03-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Im tenatively going to be working in that area and during those days (damn i miss LA), from what I have heard, Front Street from East Side Mario's to Blue Jays Way will most definetely be shut down and you will need security clearance just to get into the area...apparently the cost of security is close to the same as the cost of security for the 2010 Olympics

what would be fun(ny) is a TFC march maybe from the ACC or something like that...large crowd coming together could get some people very nervous...then again, there will likely be large protests

Suds
03-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Im tenatively going to be working in that area and during those days (damn i miss LA), from what I have heard, Front Street from East Side Mario's to Blue Jays Way will most definetely be shut down and you will need security clearance just to get into the area...apparently the cost of security is close to the same as the cost of security for the 2010 Olympics

what would be fun(ny) is a TFC march maybe from the ACC or something like that...large crowd coming together could get some people very nervous...then again, there will likely be large protests

Pretty much. My fiancee works right in the area and they have been told they will be getting security passes of some sort so they can get through the security that will be set up.

I'm sure the TTC will have a plan to move people around the area and bypass the security around the summit.

CDNSoccerFan
03-31-2010, 06:40 PM
I work in an office building attached to the Convention Centre and were all being moved to a Mississauga location for that week.

Pissed of as I live out East and am basically f'ed

might have to take that week off most likely

Suds
03-31-2010, 06:47 PM
Has this come up yet?

To answer his question - take the Go Train to Exhibition. It normally stops at Union but if that's an issue I'm sure they can just go through to Exhibition.

Glenchen29
04-02-2010, 09:22 AM
I sent 2 requests for information to GO Transit via their website, they got back to me on my first concern but have yet to answer me on the G20 question. GO has great customer service reps and they deal quickly with Q&A but they may not know the answer to the question yet till June.

Carts
04-02-2010, 09:30 AM
In the end, it all comes down to 2-words...

LEAVE EARLY...

Maybe even 3-words...

LEAVE VERY EARLY...

Come to the pub, have a few, and have no fear you'll be there in time...

These summitts are a pain in the ass wherever they're held. They should have them on an aircraft carrier in the middle of the ocean! LOL

But be serious about this. This isn't some small protest that'll slow you down a bit. Or a small security force that you can talk your way through - this is serious sh*t so plan accordingly...

The post about carrying proper ID when in the city is very good advice...

Carts...

Boris
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Agreed with carts.
On wednesday phil and I met with vince from BMO Feld and we were given the heads up that this day
And the April 25th game versus the Sounders are two games that people should plan for there tpo be delays. For the G20, the media hub will be that area so expect even more delays.

Whoop
04-02-2010, 09:49 AM
What's going on the 25th?

Redpunkfiddle
04-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Agreed with carts.
On wednesday phil and I met with vince from BMO Feld and we were given the heads up that this day
And the April 25th game versus the Sounders are two games that people should plan for there tpo be delays. For the G20, the media hub will be that area so expect even more delays.

What's happening on April 25th?

dupont
04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I think there won't be a problem as long as you avoid the very downtown part of the core. I'm just gonna leave really early and take the Ossington or Dufferin bus.

Now the people going to watch the Blue Jays game that day are truly fucked since the convention centre is right next door to the Rogers Centre.

prizby
04-02-2010, 10:11 AM
you would have liked to think that the MLS would have thought about these things before scheduling a home game

not only will it be a pain for fans, but it will be a pain for LA when they are going through the airport because I suspect that there will be some extra security precautions

Wagner
04-02-2010, 10:33 AM
is this what Boris is referring to for April 25?
the Green Living show??
http://www.greenlivingonline.com/torontoshow/

I guess Parking will be tight.
Probably lots of hippies.
Lots of Granola.
Lots of armpit hair.

Carts
04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
is this what Boris is referring to for April 25?
the Green Living show??
http://www.greenlivingonline.com/torontoshow/

I guess Parking will be tight.
Probably lots of hippies.
Lots of Granola.
Lots of armpit hair.

Gardeners are hardcore! :D

Carts...

Bloor West FC
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I work on the Go Train's and and have to get any info. I can't imagine that we would be shut down even for an hour.

BS1327
04-08-2010, 02:15 PM
I heard they planned the LA game then because Beckham/Donavon or NO Beckham/Donavon, they knew BMO would be sold out...
Guess MLS could add the G20 summit to the list too :p

rocker
04-08-2010, 02:33 PM
you would have liked to think that the MLS would have thought about these things before scheduling a home game

MLB scheduled baseball games on those days too. And Skydome is right next to where they are meeting. BMO Field won't be in the perimeter.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Leave earlier... get a ride from a buddy... walk... take a cab. You can get there :)

And for people coming from the west or north west, they won't even notice there's a summit on.

Pinkie
04-08-2010, 04:03 PM
they've had to change some jays games because of the G20, no?

we should just count ourselves lucky that the ex wasn't chosen as the location for it.

prizby
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
they've had to change some jays games because of the G20, no?

we should just count ourselves lucky that the ex wasn't chosen as the location for it.

don't believe it has been in Toronto before (at least not the G20, maybe G8?)

nevertheless, will be interesting

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
i want some crazy hippies to protest Beckham being the problem with globalization
:D

nfitz
04-08-2010, 06:19 PM
they've had to change some jays games because of the G20, no?.No. Nothing has been rescheduled.

Cowboy905
04-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Skydome will be 50,000 sold out too that weekend as Roy Halladay and the Phillies are coming to town to play the Jays.

i went to the last philly series here and the dome was packed with Phils fans....add the Doc to that mix and you'll have a ton of fans come out.

they're saying it's going to be a mess down there.