PDA

View Full Version : New TFC website

mlsintoronto
03-31-2010, 01:52 PM
OK so here we go: our new site is close to ready. As many of you are aware...the roll out has been a bit choppy. Some core functionality to the overall MLS web presence has been faulty and the people behind the scenes have been working hard to fix the problems.

Our site is close to being ready. If you like, we'd love your feedback on our beta site. While we're open to comments on the look...frankly we're looking for your comments on functionality first. Also, the types of content will grow over time...what we have here is the core site.

So: we're looking for feedback on functionality. (Other comments are welcome)

Click HERE (http://staging.torontofc.ca/)

Phil
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
We should probably re-write our RPB little bit.... and the link in the wording goes to a different website, not the RPB board.

Nuvinho
03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
- "TFC TV" opens up in the current browser, can it be a pop-up?

- Current week's opponent. One thing I liked about the old site was that they had the next game and the list of a few games after, along with the standings.

Looks great tho!!

Detroit_TFC
03-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Make getting to the Account Manager easy, put a button on the home page or something.

BFin
03-31-2010, 02:05 PM
The drop down menu should stay open when you select an option Paul.

For example: When you click supporters, it goes to the main "Supporters" micro site. At that time, the drop down menu disappears and you have to scroll through the options to pick your area within supporters. There should be a main page for each of these micro sites, and then have the drop down menu stay open to allow people to further explore through a specific section.

Not sure if that makes sense, but it would make the functionality much better and from a consumer/supporter experience would make it much simpler for them to navigate. Keep it stupidly simple as they say in the E-Comm world. Or, keep it simple, stupid....as Michael Scott would say.

Schedule part is great.

Standings, I don't like how you have to go to the MLS website and it navigates you away from the toronto FC page. Might have some people upset that they are not still on the page they originally planned to go to, and do not have a one click option to go to it. Can't TFC keep their own standings?

Club; again, can't this be done internally instead of re-directing it to the MLS website? Seems sort of half-assed. (Don't take that as a slam, just an honest opinion on functionality). Again, the drop down menu at the top should stay open when you click to the main page to provide the links of "roster" "team staff" etc....it would provide a better click through rate on those pages.

News: Looks good. Has a real TFC feel with the colouring etc.

Community, BMO Field, Academy, all get the same comments from me as "supporters".
Leave the drop down menus there for easier navigation.

Great job Paul, thanks for the update.

Snowy
03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
I agree with the pop up comment. I went to the standings and that took me to the MLS website, so only way back to TFC was to hit the back button. Naturally I closed the window (thinking it was a pop up) and had to go back in through your link.

Love the new look and seems very easy to navigate. I had no trouble finding the news and other important info.

Like the link showing the Supporters group info.... with RPB at the top of the list... :D

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 02:24 PM
very nice looking site.

now a mobile friendly version (like m.goal.com or m.espn.go.com ) would be amazing!

mlsintoronto
03-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Mobile is promised...but lets get the main one functional first!

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 02:27 PM
I like to hear that. mobile is great for us 'on the go' types.

who am I kidding... I never go anywhere

Suds
03-31-2010, 02:27 PM
I've also noticed the standings page has us in 7th place ... must be a developer error :rolleyes:
-----

As noted above, I'm guessing the standings should load "in" the TFC site and not be pushed to the MLS site.

Menu drop down
- noted above it does not stay open for some people. It does for me on Firefox.

Schedule page
- when expanding individual game the layout if off using Firefox

Local Weather - find it helpful to have weather info for game days so either a feed or a link to a weather info site would be cool. Maybe this can be added to the Schedule page.

That's if for now. Really like the new look. Much clearer and easier to navigate.

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 02:28 PM
not really an important thing to you.... but big to us...

http://torontofc.ca/supporters-clubs

the link to our 'popular message board' is still isted as torfc.ca and that's not valid anymore

Damien
03-31-2010, 02:30 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca and http://torontofc.ca go to different locations...

tlear
03-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Perhaps a light/worksafe version?

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Perhaps a light/worksafe version?

worksafe? there's something NSFW on it?

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 03:00 PM
is the picture of 'cranky joe' still on the site?

http://web.mlsnet.com/t280/imgs/stadium/2008/pic_prohibited.jpg

phonzo
03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
looks good - not a fan of some of the font choices but that's me being picky (just feel to large at times)

I like the subtle background TFC logo but - a bit less subtle it blends in way to much at the moment. I hardly noticed it at first - then again could be the look the designer wants and I'm no designer =)

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
looks good - not a fan of some of the font choices but that's me being picky (just feel to large at times)

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/038/981/original/Hipster-Kitty-this-text-should-be-in-helvetica.jpg?1265596026

snicker.

Eastend
03-31-2010, 03:30 PM
how about a BOSS button so when your boss is coming around you click it and it brings up a newspaper site....say your official sponsor paper....???

BFin
03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Or just tell him you're checking the TFC standings?

phonzo
03-31-2010, 03:37 PM
get your cat related image out of here Parkdale.

No the font itself is ok but size wise it's just to big. Reading an article your eye keeps catching the massive font in the TFC News Feed thinger and it's distracting. But I'm weird and have a tiny attention span.

boban
03-31-2010, 03:46 PM
how about a BOSS button so when your boss is coming around you click it and it brings up a newspaper site....say your official sponsor paper....???
You mean like the Sunshine Girl? ;)

Cashcleaner
03-31-2010, 03:59 PM
A few things:

1) When I click on STANDINGS and CLUB on the top menu, it takes me to pages on www.mlsnet.com (http://www.mlsnet.com). I'm not sure if that's just a temporary thing or not, but its kinda annoying that I was sent off the site.

2) I think it might be better to do some moving of text on the drop-down menu and make it a bit smaller so it doesn't block text underneath. I'll show you what I mean below.

Current Menu Bar:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/MenuBar1.png

Recommended Menu Bar:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/MenuBar2.png

3) I agree that TFC TV should come up as a pop-up window. Its really just a bit more convenient that way.

Aside from those 3 points, this new website is REALLY good. I mean that, Paul. It looks slick, has the right amount of content, and is pretty easy to navigate around. You're web designers deserve a pat on the backs, because this site works for me and it works well.

rocker
03-31-2010, 04:13 PM
OK so here we go: our new site is close to ready. As many of you are aware...the roll out has been a bit choppy. Some core functionality to the overall MLS web presence has been faulty and the people behind the scenes have been working hard to fix the problems.

Our site is close to being ready. If you like, we'd love your feedback on our beta site. While we're open to comments on the look...frankly we're looking for your comments on functionality first. Also, the types of content will grow over time...what we have here is the core site.

where's the grass cam!?

Cashcleaner
03-31-2010, 04:14 PM
^ Check out the new video up on TFC TV. Cool time lapse of the grass install!

bones
03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Mobile is promised...but lets get the main one functional first!

Can anyone say $5 beer ???

ensco
03-31-2010, 04:36 PM
One think that I think would work better would be if more of the content didn't require my to scroll down. Probably only 40% of the site is showing when it first displays.

(btw if this is meaningful I use a MacBook Air with a 13 inch screen and have relatively standard display settings, 1280 x800 I think)

kitchener-TFC
03-31-2010, 04:44 PM
I'd just recommend updating the Roster section, along with the BMO Field section.

boban
03-31-2010, 04:51 PM
While we are at it, the schedule needs more detail, like what channel the game is on, radio, and attendance.
Also, whats with the deep grey strip across the top for?
And too many times the site jumps to the main MLS site.
You should be able to stay on the TFC club page to access the information.

Cashcleaner
03-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Oh, and I noticed something odd as well. When you view the home page the page itself is all in the right proportions and looks good, but I've noticed that when you click on any other page, you get this blank dark grey bar at the very top of the page. Is a sponsor banner going in there or should it not be there at all?

boban
03-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh, and I noticed something odd as well. When you view the home page the page itself is all in the right proportions and looks good, but I've noticed that when you click on any other page, you get this blank dark grey bar at the very top of the page. Is a sponsor banner going in there or should it not be there at all?
You noticed that too eh?
I mentioned that in my post as well.

Cashcleaner
03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
^ Yeah. I mean, maybe it's because it's blank at the moment and skews my perception, but it does take up quite a bit of space.

FluSH
03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
The site is all buggy for me... too much to mention but I will at some point... however I do have an older version of IE... You know when you go to Youtube and Youtube tells you it's time to change your browser because there is at least 50 newer browsers that I can use... well that's me.

rocker
03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
^ Check out the new video up on TFC TV. Cool time lapse of the grass install!

i saw that..cool. but I'm looking for a LIVE CAM so I can watch grass grow and get green! ;)

Daveisonfire
03-31-2010, 06:59 PM
you mean websuts right?

prizby
03-31-2010, 07:10 PM
will the streaming of rochester-tfc on apr 3 be on the new tfc website?

acorn34
03-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Very pleased there will be specific content for kids this year. Thanks Paul. Looks great

KezmanCCCC
03-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Over all the new site looks good... nice and fresh... there are bugs though as everyone can tell... in the club schedule in paticular... also i dont like how when i click on roster and standings it prompts me to the MLS site... that should be independent to the TFC site (because its annoying to always have to click back)... also a pop up window for TFC TV would be great as everyone is saying.. overall i like it... when will be the official launch of the final version???

ArmenJBX
03-31-2010, 08:17 PM
A couple of requests Paul :D

Add more to the store, and also, if possible, can we get some new wallpapers? :)

Other then that, the new site is awesome!

JuliquE
04-01-2010, 01:25 AM
2) I think it might be better to do some moving of text on the drop-down menu and make it a bit smaller so it doesn't block text underneath. I'll show you what I mean below.

Current Menu Bar:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/MenuBar1.png

Recommended Menu Bar:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/MenuBar2.png
I would echo much of what's already been mentioned, but CC makes a very loud point.

The simplistic font keeps with the crisp & clean/sleek design of the site, but it stands out as an eyesore with all that empty space (off to the right of the two-column list) -- takes up too much space, as well. I think what's been suggested, here, would suffice; a great quick fix.

If there's any way to incorporate it, without looking too forced, I think our illustrious skyline would be a fine addition. Could have a quasi-silhouette feel about it, to be less distracting (the 3D badge would mesh well with the new design, come to think of it.. but might not have the same authentic feel of the original):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/JuliquE/dbgTFC.png

Wallpapers would be a treat and perhaps you can work the skyline there, instead (if it's too imposing on what you guys have envisioned for the site, from a designer's standpoint).

Tschuess

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Looks good to me- a lot 'cleaner' than the old layout and easy enough to navigate. Thumbs up.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-01-2010, 05:45 AM
The site is all buggy for me... too much to mention but I will at some point... however I do have an older version of IE... You know when you go to Youtube and Youtube tells you it's time to change your browser because there is at least 50 newer browsers that I can use... well that's me.
You could just use Firefox... ;) lol

JuliquE
04-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I use the latest version of Opera and the "Tweets" appear to be misaligned.

I forgot to say "great job," in my above post; so yeah.. awesome rad!

::EdiT::

"Tweets" are fine now; I hadn't checked back, since posting last night.

tim90
04-02-2010, 12:22 PM
whrere the mediaguide

Gixmo
04-02-2010, 12:49 PM
whrere the mediaguide

It's on the tickets page. Right at the bottom, You can download up to '9' copies

Roca
04-02-2010, 01:41 PM
I agree with a previous poster -- we should have the next game and eastern conf. standings on the home page.

tim90
04-02-2010, 02:11 PM
i do not see it

Gixmo
04-02-2010, 02:14 PM
i do not see it

Hmm, You may need to be wearing a pair of 3D goggles from Famous Players, It's an enhanced website.
I'd keep refreshing the page until it appears.

menefreghista
04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
This was posted in another thread by Azerban, but people might want to read this long blog post about what an epic disaster the re-launched MLS website has been.

http://www.fakesigi.com/2010/04/mls-web-site-disaster.html

It relates to TFC because all the team sites are down in-house now.

druid
04-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Great job.

I can't say how happy it makes me to see the home team listed first in the schedule. It's the small things, I guess.

mmmikey
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
While we are at it, the schedule needs more detail, like what channel the game is on, radio, and attendance.
Also, whats with the deep grey strip across the top for?
And too many times the site jumps to the main MLS site.
You should be able to stay on the TFC club page to access the information.

^ agree with both of these posts.

the content should be consumed (assume its available via web services?) and shown inline on the tfc site. it's a general rule not to have a link that jumps to a different site unless it is obvious. surprises are bad for the user experience.

mmmikey
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I agree with a previous poster -- we should have the next game and eastern conf. standings on the home page.

yes!

Cashcleaner
04-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Okay, I'm not sure if Paul is still paying attention to this thread and/or if he still cares about the subject matter, but this is what I'm talking about about the large drop-down menus and top banner.

Here is the drop down menu for TFC News. Here you've basically got a situation where over half of the view's screen is taken up by everything but the content itself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/TFCPage.png

^ I mean, from top to bottom; you've got the blank dark grey area at the top, followed by the MLS navigation bar, followed by the TFC logo with background, followed by the menu bar, followed by the drop-down menu, AND THEN you get a little sliver of content underneath all that. Because of everything on top, the viewer is left with about 1/4th of the space on the page with which to see the actual content.

Here's the solution:

Unless its for a sponsor's banner and you absolutely need to keep it there, you really need to get rid of that dark grey area at the top. As for the drop-down menu, all you really need to do is shift the buttons and text to optimize the space.

Instead of this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/TFCPage2.png

You can save some space and have this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/TFCPage3.png

twistedchinaman
04-02-2010, 04:51 PM
who am I kidding... I never go anywhere

:smilielol5:

Agreed on the mobile...being out West plus not always in front of the TV means I need to constantly refresh my Blackberry.

Shway
04-03-2010, 08:18 AM
09-01-2009, 05:09 PM

This is something really small, however i have grown irritant of the cookie-cutter TFC website.
I think its about time we get a new, personal, custom website. If DC, Seattle, Philadelphia, Colorado, New England have it
Toronto FC should to, your the man to make it happen.
:scarf:

09-01-2009, 05:15 PM

I agree their websites are better, but I don't think they are that much better. But they feel better because they are freakin' different. We get that too. We're more concerned today with getting our resources and content right. The reason we're content to sit on the current format is that the league is working on a more concise and over-arching approach to new media. Once they firm up what their approach will be, that will have a big impact on how we move forward. So any investment right now (beyond what you see) could be throwing money out the window (something our friends in DC, New England seem to be ok with !)

but I hear you - its just boring. need to switch up even the layout from time to time just so it feels fresh. Its coming - and soon I hope - but I'm unable to give you a timeline.

03-31-2010, 02:52 PM

.........And at the end of the day, "ITS STILL MLS COOKIE CUTTER" and it seems SSFC, Rapids, and the Union didnt throw away money in being different.

alex andrew
04-03-2010, 09:22 AM
i do not like the red grass, what is that ?
makes me think of all the horror movies out there !

BeachFC
04-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Feedback points: (using Google Chrome)

-Bring back the team icons on the top banner of the page. Much like Epl and Nhl websites fans will want to navigate away from team page to learn more about opponents.
-don't navigate away from TFC site for Rosters and Standings
-add the box score banner that is on the MLS site that gives you scores, post game recap, and previews of future games. Links in that banner would be acceptable to link to MLS site.
-On the Schedule page. Remove the plus/minus feature at the end of each game. Line up icons properly (currently away team lines up under the date), and add the score of games played, and the tv and radio information of future games.
-Add league standings on main page.
-instead of having a drop down grey box that covers your text, keep a dedicated single strip of grey under your headers and condense the drop down info to fit in this space, for instance: when hovering over CLUB, a single line of text appears condensed and divided by /'s like this: Roster/Team Staff/MLSE/Ownership/History/Jobs. Until I hover over another header. examples of this can be found on the Trophymanager site or the EPL site.
-get accurate content. On the Rosters page only Chad Barrett has a previous MLS team listed. At a minimum the previous MLS team should be listed for everyone or for no one. (you have a better roster page for the academy players, and you host it on your own site) Fans will abandon the site and look for information elsewhere, the goal should be to give the fans all the info they need on your site, so that they have no need to look elsewhere. (Thus you control the information, get more traffic, and attract more advertisement opportunities)
-I would love to see the addition of player Bios, players could write their own. Maybe include their stats.
-reduce font size under photos (example: Keep 2010 Broadcast Schedule font the same, but reduce First Four Matches on GOL TV Canada in HD) like MLS site and many other team sites. Same with Font in TFC News section, thus allowing you to link more news.
-I like the News section, found link under TFC news box that says "see more club news" link gives better news clipping style links. Then realized that News link at top of main page is not just the photos in the drop down menu. When hovering over news at the top of the main page, the drop down options should be "club news", "league news" and "photos". Clicking on "News" itself should bring you to a page of Club News, League News and Photos in three seperate sections.
-maybe add a search option beside the Youtube link.

I think the Beta is a step back at the moment. But there is definite potential to make a better product.

jabbronies
04-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Nav Colour
The colour of the nav items could be one shade of grey lighter. It doesn't stand out enough IMO.

Blurry Images
Some of the images in the main info box are blurry. If you are going this route where images are the main focal point of your content, you may want to consider making sure that the images are big, beautiful and sharp.

Wasted Real Estate
There's a alot of it. The Big images are nice, but you also have huge bits of copy as well. It feels like a website made for preschoolers and old people. BIG buttons for the not so coordinated and BIG copy for the near sighted. The design is sleek, but the content isn't. My screen resolution is higher than the average user, WAY higher, and this content is still flowing over the fold. Was this designed on a mac by a print designer by chance?

Content Priorities
There doesn't seem to be a hierarchy of content priority here. It just seems that content is stuck wherever it can fit.
The Items in the flash piece seem to be the latest news pieces, but then you have a strip of items below that that could be potentially the same info - I see Don Garber news on both levels. Then there is TFC news below that which is also the latest news? and then the twitter feed...which should also be the latest news.
I don't see anything about the on the field activity on the homepage - standings, box scores, player stats etc. Which I would think is one reason why people go to this site.

I think the overall site is a good start, but the flow of content doesn't seem to be streamlined yet.

koryo
04-03-2010, 11:24 AM
The grass growing video would have been better with the Benny Hill theme instead.

On a serious note: I assume the empty dark grey at the top is being reserved for leaderboard advertising?

Other than that, some basics:

1. open links to other sites in new windows
2. not enough of your pages have content showing above the fold (1280 x 800 resolution)
- no section titles need to be that large. Is that 60 pt height?

3. sub-navigation: obscures too much (and too much real-estate within left unused)

4. main navigation priorities: membership, tickets and shop ought to be the first three items (left to right) in the main nav. that is unless, the site isn't seen to be a revenue stream.

5. schedule:
- you'd do better to have the default state of that page having all months contracted, then the user doesn't have to scroll to see later on in the season.
- what is the point in having each fixture expand to reveal club crests? Unless more info is going on in there (like who's showing it on the telly), then it's a waste.

6. news:
- some basic search functionality is required here
- any plans to archive news by previous year / month?

7. type: seriously consider finding more suitable fonts for the screen
- overall, it degrades very poorly across Firefox/Chrome
- the headline type in IE 7 looks horrendous

flatpicker
04-03-2010, 11:30 AM
^ I vote for Benny Hill as well.

BeachFC
04-03-2010, 12:56 PM
just checked out all the other teams sites. DCU does a good job of using the new MLS cookie cutter template. There is a search bar in the top left (although it's misaligned in Google Chrome). Their is a link to the next match slightly below that. And I love the bottom right corner widget that displays players that are injured or disciplined. And when clicking on a players name a action photo appears, with stats for last game, this season, and career, as well as bio information. All the player info is there for TFC in the same layout on the MLS site, but it's not up to date and it's not on the site.

Another good idea to steal from DCU is the Login and register links that appear next to the Network drop down menu.

Hope this helps Paul. Come on now make it so.

Shway
04-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Feedback points:
-(you have a better roster page for the academy players, and you host it on your own site) Fans will abandon the site and look for information elsewhere, the goal should be to give the fans all the info they need on your site, so that they have no need to look elsewhere. (Thus you control the information, get more traffic, and attract more advertisement opportunities)
-I would love to see the addition of player Bios, players could write their own. Maybe include their stats.

I think the Beta is a step back at the moment. But there is definite potential to make a better product.

AGREED

I would like to see stats on academy players, pictures , something

Cashcleaner
04-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Another big issue I've just realized - There's no Canadian Championship games listed on the TFC Schedule. Paul, you guys need to put in the dates for those matches against Montreal and Vancouver.

tim90
04-03-2010, 08:56 PM
whrere the toronto fc mediaguide i do not see up

Super
04-03-2010, 11:51 PM
whrere the toronto fc mediaguide i do not see up

Some day you will get your media guide, Tim. We're all rooting for you!

http://www.reclusland.com/compass/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/zunal.com/myaccount/uploads/holy_grail_660.jpg

Alixir
04-04-2010, 12:22 PM
don't fix something that is not broke....the old site was easier to navigate and had a better layout.

Nuvinho
04-04-2010, 12:27 PM
the blue jays website has the same type of drop down menu.

flatpicker
04-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Why is Toronto FC playing Toronto FC on April 29th?
And is that a premium price game?
I sure hope not!

http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule

ensco
04-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Why is Toronto FC playing Toronto FC on April 29th?
And is that a premium price game?
I sure hope not!

http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule

Exciting news. We'll get a result for sure!

sidvan
04-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Exciting news. We'll get a result for sure!

Yes two OG by Garcia for a 1-1 result

Daveisonfire
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I wish there was still an area on the home page dedicated to TFC TV, I just like how it was there and you could just click on it right away without going through menus.

Small thing I know

alex andrew
04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
toronto vs toronto may end in a toronto win.

maybe.

but bloody grass ? grass soaked in blood ? chainsaw etc ? nahhh...

dracula would love us !

mlsintoronto
04-06-2010, 07:46 AM
- sigh -

the schedule page is one of those pages that is fully integrated with the league site. they told us to go ahead and add our NCC games. and April 28 vs Montreal came out as April 29 vs Toronto.

now we can't fix it. Our web guys are standing very close to the edge right now!

flatpicker
04-06-2010, 07:47 AM
^ Tell them to take a deep breath and relax.

They may have actually done us a favour by having us play against ourselves.

boban
04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
- sigh -

the schedule page is one of those pages that is fully integrated with the league site. they told us to go ahead and add our NCC games. and April 28 vs Montreal came out as April 29 vs Toronto.

now we can't fix it. Our web guys are standing very close to the edge right now!
Is not the schedule going to list the telecast channels and attendance anymore?

nfitz
04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
What about the Roster on the TFC site? It says we have 2 keepers, and one is Edwards (though oddly Gerba has vanished, even though that was a more recent change).

The loss of the ability to sort (by age, position - especially for the entire league) is disappointing.

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 11:09 AM
At home I use Firefox, at work I use an older verion of IE (really old, I dunno why...not my call.)

Anyways, I have not tried the website at home but I clicked on it today to look for some info on the team and I could barely stay on it for 5 minutes before wanting to throw my PC out the window.

Awful. Sorry Paul...MLS screwed the pooch on this one. I will probably use the website a heck of a lot less this year than in previous years. It truly is a mess. I liked the old one in terms of functionality if anything.

JonO
04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
I have real trouble accessing it from work. At first I thought it was because we're on IE6, so I downloaded Chrome and still no luck...

Roogsy
04-06-2010, 11:16 AM
don't fix something that is not broke....the old site was easier to navigate and had a better layout.

You should read this thread. Very interesting opinion on what happened at MLS with regards to rolling the league's new websites.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21357

Parkdale
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
- sigh -

that answers my question.

grizzle
04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Not sure how much control you have of the links that are on mlsscoccer.com, but there are some major css problems. For example, look at the Dero page... his history section is just a jumbled mess (http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/dwayne-de-rosario)

Also, several things on the site are outdated like in the pictures section with past players. And there was a link with injuries that I can't find that hadn't been updated since last season.

Other than that, looks great and I also think there should be an easier link to account manager somewhere.

tim90
04-07-2010, 01:17 PM
whrere can i get 2010 toronto fc mediaguide

The Professor
04-07-2010, 01:40 PM
^Tick, tock, tick, tock.
Someone's 15 minutes is almost up.

FluSH
04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Hello,

I am a dying breed... I have IE 6... This new site is balls for me... they are trying to push us out like every other site out there... trying to terminate us one by one... by I won't give up my IE 6 without a fight...

Roogsy
04-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Hello,

I am a dying breed... I have IE 6... This new site is balls for me... they are trying to push us out like every other site out there... trying to terminate us one by one... by I won't give up my IE 6 without a fight...

I am feeling your pain bro.

My firm hasn't upgraded their IE6 either so all the content looks like crap.

I wonder what the issue is with upgrading internet browser software. Must be a security thing. :noidea:

menefreghista
04-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I can't believe they still haven't fixed the schedule.

Suds
04-07-2010, 03:41 PM

I wonder what the issue is with upgrading internet browser software. Must be a security thing. :noidea:

Not sure if this applies to your company but one of the reasons for this sad state of affairs is that when Microsoft built IE6 they dominated the browser market. They added in a number of proprietary extensions that they encouraged appbuilders to exploit. At the time most appbuilders didn't worry about supporting other browsers, so they embraced these IE specific extensions.

As other browsers started gaining market share they did not support these proprietary extensions. Interestingly enough Microsoft also dropped support for these extensions in IE7 and IE8.

So... companies that drank Microsoft's kool-aid years ago and built web apps that relied on these extensions are now stuck. They aren't just slow... they can't get rid of IE6 until they replace their web apps (some purchased from companies that are no longer around), and replacing server apps is a big job.

FluSH
04-07-2010, 05:48 PM

hmmm if you work at a Financial Institution it comes down to = COSTS

lol

koryo
04-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Hello,

Why? IE6 is a terrible browser. Microsoft doesn't even support it anymore.

Give your head a shake :)

tim90
04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
who toronto fc web guy

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
who toronto fc web guy

classy, as always.

FluSH
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Why? IE6 is a terrible browser. Microsoft doesn't even support it anymore.

Give your head a shake :)

Who do you work for? You work for youtube don't you? Chinese Spy? tell me the TRUTH!!!

DichioTFC
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Comments sections. We need comments sections.

I have Mozilla and the new site almost made my browser crash, not sure what caused it though...

Data doesn't seem to have been transferred over adequately (i.e. roster details).

The top bar with the links (schedule, standings, etc.) seem pretty difficult to read for viewers with poor eyesight (poor color schematic, font too small), like seniors (my grandfather always has beef with websites about that). Even if seniors aren't a major demographic, it would be nice to be user-friendly for all users.

Schedule side is not polished: April 29 is TFC v. TFC for the NCC at midnight, there aren't any other NCC games listed, clicking on the plus of the past games leaves a link called "Preview" (Recap would be better), team names are not clickable, stadium names are not clickable (it would be best to cross promote BMO Field with any home game), text is very small, most team names aren't spelled out entirely

Clicking on Standings / Club leads to the MLS website (if necessary to go to MLS website, it should open in a new tab as per other websites, so people can continue to surf on the TFC website), TFC TV should open in a new tab as well

Dead space above MLS Network bar on all pages except home page

Club link is lacking information about the players (i.e. Barrett is the only player to have experience with another team).

JuliquE
04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Apologies if it's been mentioned already; I've read much of the thread, but haven't always kept up with it.

Right.. so one thing I thought was neat is that you're able to expand/collapse each game in the schedule, effectively revealing/hiding additional match information (broadcaster, etc.) and images (team crests). I noticed that there's only the one NCC game listed there, likely due to having not yet sorted the errant "TFC v TFC" listing; at least, with this neat functionality, expanding that game reveals our opponent as L'Impact.

That said, I think it would be especially great if the upcoming match were already expanded; this makes it easier to find.

As an aside, I noticed the match results from New England haven't been updated. I know it's tough, but you should get that 4-1 up there; lest we forget. :( heh

Tschuess

menefreghista
04-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Can anyone recommend a good site for MLS stats, standings, line ups, etc?

Shaughno
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
The new website is terrible... why launch a website if it has so many dead links and unfound pages? Unprofessional that you can't check stats or rosters on many of the teams and even the main MLS page.

Parkdale
04-13-2010, 12:22 PM
The new website is terrible... why launch a website if it has so many dead links and unfound pages? Unprofessional that you can't check stats or rosters on many of the teams and even the main MLS page.

yep. It looks pretty, but lost almost all the functionality.

look at this page - http://www.torontofc.ca/season-seat-renewal

completely fucked up. Layout is fucked, spacing is fucked.
there's no seating chart and if you click the 'click to enlarge'
button where it should be, you get a pop up of the main page.

http://www.torontofc.ca/t280/imgs/tickets/ssh/bmo_field_map_2010_lg.jpg

^ look at that code? Shouldn't that be the field map 2010 large .jpg ???

normally I'm pretty forgiving, but this site is SO BAD it shouldn't be live.
Whoever made it should be staffing people around the clock to fix it
or they should be refunding some money. Did someone's kid build and code it?

Maybe this is CV2's new job?

oh, and it's good to see the NCC games are finally there... http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule
So toronto is playing toronto? How many goals will Garcia get?

Stouffville_RPB
04-13-2010, 01:25 PM
yep. It looks pretty, but lost almost all the functionality.

So toronto is playing toronto? How many goals will Garcia get?

Looks good. In general too much just doesn't work.

Garcia will have 1 goal and 3 assists (see costly defensive lapses).

flatpicker
04-13-2010, 01:27 PM

It definitely doesn't encourage people to visit a second time.

They should just put the old one back up... it was much better.

alex andrew
04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Next Match

Wednesday,Dec 31
7:00PM @ BMO Field

Alixir
04-13-2010, 06:15 PM
the old site was way better...everything you need right on the front page...this new site is garbo.

Parkdale
04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
http://staging.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/mobile.jpg

^ that IS my phone!

http://m.mlssoccer.com

^ looks like the mobile website is up and running for the league.
This is EXACTLY what I want to see for Toronto FC.

simple layout, quick links to schedule, scores and the league table,
a few basic news headlines and RAW DATA about the previous results.

This mobile MLS site will probably be in my top 5 viewed sites (on my phone)
and if Toronto can get their site running like this one, it will be in the top 3.

flatpicker
05-10-2010, 08:01 AM
I don't know if this was already mentioned,
But when I try using the TFC website on my gf's MacBook it always crashes the web browser and I have to relaunch.

jloome
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
I still get missing letters. They need to imbed that text or it gets substituted or dropped, because it's not websafe.

Parkdale
05-10-2010, 10:35 AM
update - I'm still loving the mobile site for MLS. I check it all the time.

rocker
05-10-2010, 10:45 AM
wish I could get home/away splits on the standings.

tim90
05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
where can i find 2010 toronto fc mediaguide on torontofc.ca

sully
05-10-2010, 09:45 PM
update - I'm still loving the mobile site for MLS. I check it all the time.

I like the layout but I wish they were better at updating it. E.g Stats show us with 6 points and Jimmy B as a player...