PDA

View Full Version : Major League Soccer - Does it not suck as much as it used to?

Cashcleaner
03-31-2010, 09:28 AM
You know, watching the interviews and press conference clips up on TFC TV with Don Garber talking about the upcoming season, the MLS Cup, and further Canadian expansion had me thinking about how far the league seems to have come since 2007. I know I was a big critic of how the league handles a lot of things, but let's consider a few things:

1) The strike/lockout was averted and a CBA has been settled on for another 5 years. The threat of a labour dispute disrupting a season is more or less over for the foreseeable future.

2) Expansion into Seattle and Philadelphia is taking hold well. With the exception of San Jose, the league's popularity in new markets has been growing in leaps and bounds since 2007.

3) Admissions of past failures and mistakes. To me, this is big. Garber has stated publically that MLS officiating needs addressed. He's mentioned how wrong it may have been to allow clubs play out of facilities far away from their city's core areas. MLS brass have also conceded that a new strategy will be necessary to better accommodate international games.

Could it be that the league is really starting to take the wishes of the fans and players seriously? In my opinion, many signs point to exactly that. I think there are still a multitude of new policies that need to be enacted to further advance the popularity of the organization and the sport, but it certainly seems that we're on the right track.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2010, 09:40 AM
id say its a slow steady crawl but yes its definitely better than it used to be, hell its better than last season and will hopefully continue to get better

TFCRegina
03-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Let's just say MLS does things better than the NHL.

Cashcleaner
03-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Let's just say MLS does things better than the NHL.

Well, we still have games that can end in a draw, so I gotta agree with you on that. :D

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 10:03 AM
He's mentioned how wrong it may have been to allow clubs play out of facilities far away from their city's core areas.

at the presser yesterday, he kept saying how important it was that toronto has a down-town stadium. he kept stressing the point but saying 'down-town'. he also said 'shining beacon of light', so I think that means he like the CN Tower.

Oldtimer
03-31-2010, 10:06 AM
New York is also doing very well in their new stadium, and looks like it will transition into an MLS 2.0 club (Toronto and Seattle being 2.0 clubs). I've listened to some interviews and people talk about their stadium feeling very Euro, with a great atmosphere (they've had close to sell-outs since moving). The roof magnifies the sound of their supporters greatly. Plus, they now have a good GM ;) and coach.

TFCRegina
03-31-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, we still have games that can end in a draw, so I gotta agree with you on that. :D

If you ask me, if you're going to take out the draws in hockey, they should punish the losing team by deducting points for Over Time Losses...you're wasting everyone's time, so you should be punished.

It'd encourage the coaches to play more aggressive hockey in the first 60 minutes.

The current rule is assbackwards and encourages coaches to play for the OTL...

drewski
03-31-2010, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't say Philadelphia has taken hold YET (they haven't played a home game yet, stadium isn't downtown and Philly fans are notoriously fickle), but ya, in general MLS has definitely been getting better.

[NBF]
03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Yes, Its gotten better, when you compare the MLS game to games in the A-league, they don't look that far apart. Still got a long ways to go though, but alot of people are talking about finishing their careers in MLS which has to mean that the league is getting some popularity worldwide thanx to Mr. CockHangingOutTheTrousers.

ManUtd4ever
03-31-2010, 10:22 AM
I have definitely noticed a difference in the quality of play since the inception of the league. The presentation of the product on television has been enhanced dramatically as well with the infusion of soccer specific stadiums in the majority of MLS markets and the adoption of mainstream jerseys. The overall comparison of the current product versus the original product is like night and day without question...

Beach_Red
03-31-2010, 10:25 AM
New York is also doing very well in their new stadium, and looks like it will transition into an MLS 2.0 club (Toronto and Seattle being 2.0 clubs). I've listened to some interviews and people talk about their stadium feeling very Euro, with a great atmosphere (they've had close to sell-outs since moving). The roof magnifies the sound of their supporters greatly. Plus, they now have a good GM ;) and coach.

Do you think the new owners have anything to do with this transition into a "2.0" club ;)?

flatpicker
03-31-2010, 10:27 AM
I didn't watch MLS before Toronto joined, so I really can't compare.
But I have seen improvements in the organization and forward thinking of the league in the last few years.
I'm glad they aren't rushing to change, but change is definitely happening.
Slow and steady wins the race.

I also like to think that Toronto and it's fans have a lot to do with the increasing popularity of the league.
We really showed other club supporters a thing or two... but now we have been outdone on several occasions.
That kind of fan competitiveness is really healthy for the sport.