PDA

View Full Version : 2010 - Toronto's Summer of Soccer

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 09:12 AM
so I was thinking about this last night, and the idea got stuck in my head.
This is going to be the biggest summer for the sport this city has ever seen!

2010 - Toronto's Summer of Soccer™

so... here's a list of things that will be Freakin' Awesome about this summer:
(in no particular order - and feel free to add more, or your opinion on anything)

►Grass at BMO
This has always been the biggest complain anyone has ever had about
our stadium. The playing surface is shit, the bounce is shit, the injuries
are unavoidably shit. Well that's all done. We have grass (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=21223), and it's good.

►North End Stands
There's going to be (I forget the actual number, but I think it's... 1500?)
lots of new people getting into BMO field for the first time. This will make
the place louder and help the home field advantage. Plus having more
seats available for walkups will cut down on scalping - that's good!

►JDG as our DP
The guy's got talent, and that's undeniable. I really think that once the
team gets a few more games (and a thousand more hours of practice)
under their belts, it will show on the field. Sure he's not that important
overall for the 'Summer of Soccer™' but he will help the squad.
We've got star power, and when the team starts winning, these guys
will become local heroes for sure. You too DeRo, we don't forget about you.

►MLS Cup in Toronto
This is a good thing for the team, the league, the city and for Canada.
Plus, on a strictly selfish note - the team has a target (make playoffs)
and it's become very clear that someone's job hangs in the balance.
Without getting into that situation, Hosting the Cup will be a big event
and I'm sensing it will be done right.

►Monster Friendlies
Everyone's heard the rumours (hell, if you read this board, you have more
info than some sports journalists in this city) - about a massive club (or 2)
coming into town this summer. Even if you don't give a red devil about the
team coming to play, filling the Skydome with soccer is a great thing.
Also great - TFC didn't change their schedule to accommodate them;
Lessons were learned from the downside of the RM game last year.

what else was there....?

►2010 South Africa WORLD CUP
Oh yeah, the entire city (and world) is going to be soccer mad again.
Soccer will be in the news, on the TV, playing over the patios,
parading up and down the streets... it's going to be madness if
a team with a local connection wins it, and let's face it...
EVERY team has a local connection.

►International Sport Competitions
People are still buzzing off their Olympic sugar rush. Well maybe it's dying
down a little bit, but the overall vibe of the country is very pro-sports,
and with the Pan-Am games on the horizon (2015) we're going to see the
start of a lot of local planning and development. Hamilton too. Lucky them.

what else is good....

►Relocation was a BIG success
There was a poll on here a while back that asked 'Are you happy with your
TFC ticket relocation'. The vast majority was happy, and I know why....
Lots of people got to move their seats into 112, 111, 110 and the South End.
I don't know the exact number, but I can think of plenty of people who've moved
into the SW Corner (Hi techno, Hola Nasgar!). The Fortress is going to ROCK!

►The Schedule Works
this one is debatable... but I've very happy with the schedule (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=20059) this year.
Yeah it's not the best for Travelling Support, but we still have a few BIG
destinations that are going to work out really well. BOSTON (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=21010)
Yeah everyone has different tastes, but I think the schedule works great.

►The Mayor is A Hoolie Ghoulie
hahaa... remmeber that term? Hoolie Ghoulies. that was fun.
Whatever you think of the guy's politics, there is no doubt that he's a true
soccer guy who is leaving a huge legacy with the local soccer community.
When you think that the construction of the NSS, the introduction of TFC,
The U-20 WC, grass at BMO (he was instrument in this one) AND the MLS CUP
are all going to happen on his watch..... the proof is right there.
Our Mayor is a soccer supporter.

so yeah...... that's about enough to burn off my first coffee of the day.
what do you think?

Ageroo
03-31-2010, 09:19 AM
It certainly willbe a good summer for soccer in this city......:)

mastermixer
03-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Finally, a thread that puts a smile on my face. Thank you.

Ageroo
03-31-2010, 09:21 AM

You mean there are negative threads and posts on this board? ;)

Waggy
03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
One big I agree with you: I HATE mayor miller (I go to York U, commute on the TTC ). But it's hard to hate the guy when he's legit excited about TFC, giving Mo and Anselmi the gears about what TFC needs to do to improve all while wearing a Danny D scarf. That slimy bastard almost wormed his way into my heart. Till I remembered the many many many times he's bent me over and stuck it in.

Also don't forget Champions League. I dunno why, maybe cause it's a World Cup year, but it feels like more people are paying attention this year. My friends who barely are aware of soccer are all following Champs League to some level, despite 'their' teams getting knocked out.

Also don't forget this friendly against Argentina, that while I'm sure we'll get MOKED in, will be BIG in terms of getting our Nats some awareness. Plus hopefully they'll be fielding a more competitive side now that they've got some stability and decent leadership running them.

And the biggie: NO-ONE has big expectations for TFC this year= no-one disappointed. Any success TFC has is a welcome bonus, and if they suck we already know they were going to. Remember that 11 game win streak the Jays went on 2 years ago to end the season? Everyone knew it wasn't going anywhere but the city just lit up for those few weeks. No expectations in this city is probably a good thing.

*Edit to whichever mod took out the line, thanks!

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
(I go to York U, commute on the TTC .......).

:confused:

edited, because if there was some joke, no one got it.

bgnewf
03-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Parkie, that is an excellent post.

Sometimes it's too easy to get down when you live and die with the daily news and ups and downs of your club.

Thanks for the dose of perspective.

Globetrotter
03-31-2010, 09:35 AM
You said that they didn't change the schedule to accommodate a friendly. You should change it to "they haven't changed it.... yet". They didn't change until mid point last season, lest ye forget!

Bloor West FC
03-31-2010, 09:42 AM

say what?

I'm waiting for his answer as well. His sentence should be removed ASAP!!

Thanks for the post Parky!!

Waggy
03-31-2010, 09:45 AM

say what?

Lmao. Last summer at York there were protests by them near the main entrance to the school in conjunction with the protests downtown. Anything that goes on ANYWHERE in this city that involves any group ends up taking place in a smaller scale at York. Which is why York is AWESOME! Especially if you're a moderate or centrist. But that was a poor attempt at humor. I'm kinda hungover from yesterday and not quite all here. A well earned Yellow card there. My bad to everyone, absolutely ZERO offense in any way shape or form intended

Either way, point still

Miller on soccer good!
Canada playing Argentina good!
TFC hosting MLS cup good!
MLSE showing World Cup games on screen at Maple Leafs square REALLY good
Champs League Good
Grass/new stands good!

Wooooooooo!

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 09:46 AM
You said that they didn't change the schedule to accommodate a friendly. You should change it to "they haven't changed it.... yet". They didn't change until mid point last season, lest ye forget!

and there's..... debbie downer.

:)

http://mobile.thestar.com/mobile/sports/article/787931

Man U would play other games against still-to-be-determined opponents. TFC would not be the opponent in Toronto.

Paul Beirne, senior director of business operations with Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment, which owns TFC, said the English club was looking to play in Toronto on dates when the Reds already have league games scheduled. They also want to play in a stadium that's larger than 21,700-seat BMO Field.

"So, those two things combined sort of had us ruled out," Beirne said in an interview.
Sources say the Rogers Centre is the likely venue for the game on or around July 17. TFC is scheduled to play that day in Philadelphia against the expansion Union.

Broadview
03-31-2010, 09:48 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that MLSE will be playing World Cup games on a big screen in something called Maple Leaf Square. I'm imagining something like those "fan zones" you see at big events like WC's and the Olympics in Vancouver. It actually sounds like it could be fun.

Anybody have any info on this? What time of the day is it here when the games are on in SA, anyway?

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 09:49 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that MLSE will be playing World Cup games on a big screen in something called Maple Leaf Square. I'm imagining something like those "fan zones" you see at big events like WC's and the Olympics in Vancouver. It actually sounds like it could be fun.

Anybody have any info on this? What time of the day is it here when the games are on in SA, anyway?

I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense.

there's a GIANT screen on the west side of the ACC, and they are looking at making it into a 'sport square' thing for big events. the only problem with playing the games there is.... time difference.

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 09:50 AM
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs424.snc3/24505_10150160258695361_684990360_11591677_4158830 _n.jpg

^ photo - might work

tfcleeds
03-31-2010, 09:58 AM

This would be an absolutely awesome idea if they could pull it off. Of course, most people will be content to watch their teams in their local community pubs/patios, but I have often imagined the day when big screens would be set up in Nathan Phillips Square (Maple Leaf Square works, heck, any major public area) showing World Cup soccer. They do it in every major city in Europe, and I think it would be unique to North America.

Kickoff times for this World Cup are generally 7 am, 10 am, and 2 pm EST. Not saying they should do every game of course, but even if they did big games, like from the quarter-finals on, it would be awesome.

Pookie
03-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Great perspective on the good things happening within the sport.

Not to bring the thread down but hopefully, the CSA/OSA can use the momentum from these events to fuel REAL changes within their ranks. Youth development in this province is a disgrace. Despite some well meaning volunteers and some administrators, youth soccer programs are essentially hockey's poorer, less attractive sister.

We establish a low bar when it comes to all aspects of development and the results and programs we run are reflective of that.

I would love to see the above translate into real pressure that falls on local clubs to get off their non-profit, low expectation teets and actually serve the communities and children they exploit.

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 10:47 AM
^ good points. Raising the status of the sport will only force the OSA/CSA to grow (or die)

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Sometimes it's too easy to get down when you live and die with the daily news and ups and downs of your club.

you know it newf!

there are so many ups and downs that it's easy to 'not see the forest for the trees', as they say.

Technorgasm
03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
WE SIMPLY MUST ORGANIZE SOME RPB WORLD CUP WATCHING!!!
\
I suggest the street fest on College street. . . haha

ensco
03-31-2010, 11:06 AM
As Preki once said, in his earlier life....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Beach_Red
03-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Great perspective on the good things happening within the sport.

Not to bring the thread down but hopefully, the CSA/OSA can use the momentum from these events to fuel REAL changes within their ranks. Youth development in this province is a disgrace. Despite some well meaning volunteers and some administrators, youth soccer programs are essentially hockey's poorer, less attractive sister.

We establish a low bar when it comes to all aspects of development and the results and programs we run are reflective of that.

I would love to see the above translate into real pressure that falls on local clubs to get off their non-profit, low expectation teets and actually serve the communities and children they exploit.

This is really another thread, but as usual in Canada we're stuck between two models - the European version of 'club' teams (or city/district as they became hee) and the US version of athletics being handled by the schools. I have no idea which is the better system, but I'm surprised it isn't discussed more.

There's a big difference in ths city between the way minor hockey and basketball are treated.

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 11:08 AM
\

I will bring my baguettes, my striped shirt and my box o'wiiine

T-Bird
03-31-2010, 11:19 AM
\

Breakfast at the Dip....4 hours before the game starts? Because that is super fun...SUPER!

Suds
03-31-2010, 11:28 AM

I've also heard rumours similar to that. My understanding is the Real Sports Bar will be just across from that large screen at Maple Leaf Square and will have a large rooftop patio (similar to the Jack Astors by Dundas Square).

Has anyone been by that development recently to know if there is any merit to what I heard?

Pinkie
03-31-2010, 11:33 AM
I will bring my baguettes, my striped shirt and my box o'wiiine

they even have little juice boxes of wine.

those rule

i am so pumped for this amazingly soccer filled summer!

untill france gets slaughtered in the group stages

then the bitterness will set in

but untill then WOOOHOOO

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 11:38 AM
untill france gets slaughtered in the group stages
then the bitterness will set in

Je pense qu'on a une bonne chance c'est fois.

oh my, I can't believe that I could actually write in French at a passable level at one point in my life. clearly... J'oublie tout! I don't even know how to make acents on here? where's my 'little hat'?

lintberg
03-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Well said Parky!
It will be indeed a great soccer summer in Toronto.

JonO
03-31-2010, 11:46 AM
where's my 'little hat'?
Whatever happened to the out of context thread? :D

Pinkie
03-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Je pense qu'on a une bonne chance c'est fois.

oh my, I can't believe that I could actually write in French at a passable level at one point in my life. clearly... J'oublie tout! I don't even know how to make acents on here? where's my 'little hat'?

oh your chapeau chinois as we called it in elementary school. which i now realise is fully racist.

you gotta befriend the alt key for all those accents

mais bravo parky! tu peux encore écrire en français!

TFCUNITED
03-31-2010, 11:49 AM

You should check out the hot chicks thread. ;)

Mikey
03-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Man U would play other games against still-to-be-determined opponents. TFC would not be the opponent in Toronto.

Paul Beirne, senior director of business operations with Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment, which owns TFC, said the English club was looking to play in Toronto on dates when the Reds already have league games scheduled. They also want to play in a stadium that's larger than 21,700-seat BMO Field.

"So, those two things combined sort of had us ruled out," Beirne said in an interview.
Sources say the Rogers Centre is the likely venue for the game on or around July 17. TFC is scheduled to play that day in Philadelphia against the expansion Union.

Perfect! I'll be in Philli with the other TFC supporters! :scarf::scarf:

Globetrotter
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
and there's..... debbie downer.

I prefer factual franky. just cleanin things up! :drum: