PDA

View Full Version : Striker idea

bones
03-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Since we're lacking a few quality strikers on this team and now that there is a completely new mentality how far of a stretch would it be to ask the man to come out of retirement for 1 year to fill an "off the bench" striker role? Danny was a very hard working forward and I think Preki would love to have his grit up front to help in the last 1/3 or 1/4 of a game from time to time. We have grass now so with limited play and the use of a quality pitch, it isn't that far fetched is it?

Bones...

woolly
03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Hellz, yeah. DAnny coming off the bench would be the single greatest moment since the first goal.

Chevy
03-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Great idea.....but too much of an embarrassment to the FO for it to happen.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2010, 08:52 AM
I love DD but he is old, rickety and slow at this point. He wouldnt be terribly effective for long on the field. We need to address this with a young fast striker.

bones
03-31-2010, 08:58 AM
I love DD but he is old, rickety and slow at this point. He wouldnt be terribly effective for long on the field. We need to address this with a young fast striker.

I agree with the young fast striker long term part. But this is just for coming off the bench. 15 to 20 minutes tops to get the needed goal when other teams defence are tired. Or, to play 1 forward and move back to protect a lead.

Bones...

brad
03-31-2010, 09:06 AM
I agree with the young fast striker long term part. But this is just for coming off the bench. 15 to 20 minutes tops to get the needed goal when other teams defence are tired. Or, to play 1 forward and move back to protect a lead.

Bones...

If the rumors of Dickov are true, he would give us something similar. Based on the fact that Dickov is active, and Dichio is not - Dickov would be a better option. Full Disclaimer - I don't want us to sign Dickov.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-31-2010, 09:12 AM
i really dont want us to sign Dickov

trane
03-31-2010, 09:14 AM
^ Dickov is older, and smaller then Dichio they are hardnly the same option. Danny is not comming back, but if I were to have to chose between Danny and Dickov give me Danny. Dickov is DONE. Please do not bring him here.

jloome
03-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Dickov isn't just "smaller", he's about 5'5 and a fox-in-the-box, not a target man.

Plus, he hasn't a good goalscoring record in about seven years. Plus, he's older than Danny.

Fuck me. Paul Dickov. What the fuck is Mo thinking?

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
has Danny continued training like a pro athlete?
I'm sure he's in better shape than any of us (any of us who are old enough to drink beer)
but would he be able to actually play at a level that he would be happy with?

I wouldn't want Danny brought out like some Vegas Crooner that's too broke to retire and too young to die. that would be sad.

Waggy
03-31-2010, 09:17 AM
In a best case scenario, this would put a temporary band-aid on a very serious problem, distract us the fans from flipping out on Mo and possibly not end in embarrassment for anyone.

Potential worse cases:
- Serious injury to Danny (remember his history of head injuries. Plus he's not exactly match fit. Plus he wasn't exactly quick on his feet before retirement)
- Potential liability should the opposing team score and even the game, or take a lead (it's not like hes getting back on D at his age. His experience at CB in training camp notwithstanding)
- An embarrassing end to a great career (do you REALLY want your last memory of Danny D on the pitch to be as some washed up oldtimer taking minutes from young guys who need them to improve?)
- As already mentioned delaying the development of our young strikers

Danny can best help us by mentoring White and Barrett, and acting as some form of sounding board for guys like Dero and Deguzman. Taking a roster spot and a salary would not help TFC very much this year, and certainly not in the long run. I love Danny D too but it's time to move on...

trane
03-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Dickov isn't just "smaller", he's about 5'5 and a fox-in-the-box, not a target man.

Plus, he hasn't a good goalscoring record in about seven years. Plus, he's older than Danny.

Fuck me. Paul Dickov. What the fuck is Mo thinking?

I cannot understand why his name keeps on comming up. It would seem to me, althought I have not seen him play much, that a smaller striker would have relied if not on speed then quickness, I would imagine at his age and what I understand is an extensive injury record, much of that is gone.

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 09:22 AM
It would seem to me, althought I have not seen him play much, that a smaller striker would have relied if not on speed then quickness,...

or smarts. Danny was good because he played smart, and maybe Dickov can too? Speed without skill isn't worth much as a striker.

flatpicker
03-31-2010, 09:24 AM
Speed without skill isn't worth much as a striker.

or a defender

;)

bones
03-31-2010, 09:51 AM
In a best case scenario, this would put a temporary band-aid on a very serious problem, distract us the fans from flipping out on Mo and possibly not end in embarrassment for anyone.

Potential worse cases:
- Serious injury to Danny (remember his history of head injuries. Plus he's not exactly match fit. Plus he wasn't exactly quick on his feet before retirement)
- Potential liability should the opposing team score and even the game, or take a lead (it's not like hes getting back on D at his age. His experience at CB in training camp notwithstanding)
- An embarrassing end to a great career (do you REALLY want your last memory of Danny D on the pitch to be as some washed up oldtimer taking minutes from young guys who need them to improve?)
- As already mentioned delaying the development of our young strikers

Danny can best help us by mentoring White and Barrett, and acting as some form of sounding board for guys like Dero and Deguzman. Taking a roster spot and a salary would not help TFC very much this year, and certainly not in the long run. I love Danny D too but it's time to move on...

In a best case he helps us win the F'ing CUP... what kind of a best case is that??? Now back to reality.

I know what you're saying though. I was thinking only as a bandade because right now the wound is exposed. We have dressed TFC staff for a game before and we won the damn game. We were SO close to the playoffs last year. A decision in our favour early on in the season could have made the difference but no, we left it to the last game. I don't want to leave it to the last game. I don't want to let games slip right from the start. We needed a striker (among other things yes I get it) in Cowlumbus. I think it's not a totally crazy idea to have DD as an emergency striker off the bench.

Until Mo is gone (or brings in a quality striker, aka, cows flying, hell getting chilly etc. etc.) we're exposed.

Bones...

Parkdale
03-31-2010, 09:55 AM
In a best case he helps us win the F'ing CUP... what kind of a best case is that??? Now back to reality.

Bones...

hahaha. You have a solid grasp of reality, that I wish more people had.

Super
03-31-2010, 09:56 AM
I don't think Danny would ever consider a comeback, however small it may be. He had a perfect end to his career - and will always be remembered as a local hero to all of us. However, a comeback could taint this reputation. I honestly don't think he would want to do that, and nor do I.

bones
03-31-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't think Danny would ever consider a comeback, however small it may be. He had a perfect end to his career - and will always be remembered as a local hero to all of us. However, a comeback could taint this reputation. I honestly don't think he would want to do that, and nor do I.

Perfect end? Perhaps the TIFO was perfect, but did you see the man at his "welcome to TFC coaching" media event. My god he looked defeated. We all know something just wasn't right with the way he was shuffled off the pitch.

Bones...

bones
03-31-2010, 10:11 AM
hahaha. You have a solid grasp of reality, that I wish more people had.

If some people's idea of best case is a glass half full, then I feel sorry for that thirsty person.

Bones...

trane
03-31-2010, 10:28 AM
or smarts. Danny was good because he played smart, and maybe Dickov can too? Speed without skill isn't worth much as a striker.

Agreed. I just do not know enough about Dickov to know if he is a smart player or not. But clearly Danny did alot with smarts.