PDA

View Full Version : Robbo on his move

Oldtimer
03-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Let me just say this, I knew back in November that I would be moving and no-one knows the real reasons except me - when I decide I will reveal the reasons and it might just shock a few people.

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/86706/big-move-to-the-big-apple.aspx

Sab0tage
03-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing what happened.

Chevy
03-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Two words why he moved to NY. Rachael Uchitel. ;)

Parkdale
03-30-2010, 02:58 PM
shock us how? How could we possibly see it in a worse light than we already do?

ps. Robbo. I still want that jersey!

GhostKiller
03-30-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm not a fan when people say they have a secret to tell but they aren't going to say. If he is prepaired to say that it will shock people then he should come out and say it. Other wise its showmanship ala Ricketts style. I like Robbo and hope he will just come out and say what he has to say.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-30-2010, 03:09 PM
shock us how? How could we possibly see it in a worse light than we already do?

ps. Robbo. I still want that jersey!

i could see him opening the can of worms if we were to meet each other in ..LETS SAY A PLAYOFF GAME down the road...!:rolleyes:

dantdot
03-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Shock people? Doubtful. Even if it's not what we think, we've seen it all.

Pinkie
03-30-2010, 04:09 PM
There is a long-term plan and I’m so happy to be part of it. The squad has been together for a while and there is a stability here, which all teams need to be successful.

i feel that statement is quite meaningfull...non?

Darlofletch
03-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Shock people? Doubtful. Even if it's not what we think, we've seen it all.

maybe Mo was all class and did everything in his power to make robbo feel wanted and to persuade him to stay. I think that would be a bit of a shock.

jloome
03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Maybe one of the players who gets huge cred on here didn't like him.

dantdot
03-30-2010, 04:28 PM
maybe Mo was all class and did everything in his power to make robbo feel wanted and to persuade him to stay. I think that would be a bit of a shock.

I'll eat my hat if this is the case.

ensco
03-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Maybe one of the players who gets huge cred on here didn't like him.

Oooh I would like to hear more about this theory.

Luanda
03-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Not everything is always what it seems to be at first glance.

jloome
03-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Oooh I would like to hear more about this theory.

Yeahhh, interesting story there. Maybe someday!

jloome
03-30-2010, 05:32 PM
....but I'd say it's more likely that some interesting things happened last November.

Nov. 2, a week after the 5-0 drubbing: Anselmi backs Johnston

Nov. 17 Preki is hired. We now know he only favours two-way midfielders.

Nov. 25: Ali Gerba, Amado Guevara and Carl Robinson are all left unprotected.

Probably not that hard to figure out.

ensco
03-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Probably not that hard to figure out.

Go on. Help me connect the dots.

Bloor West FC
03-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I wonder if his thoughts on the TFC fans have changed to negative. I hope not.

rocker
03-30-2010, 05:51 PM
maybe Robinson was shocked at getting stared at in the shower by Brian Edwards... those eyes are piercing (see my avatar at left)..

jloome
03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Go on. Help me connect the dots.

You're connecting two things that are probably unconnected. My tip is that Robbo and another player didn't get a long, but I'm not sure it had anything to do with this decision.

1) They give Mo a vote of confidence. I'd say it's a safe assumption, based on the discussion of locker room unrest a month prior, that this was not popular.

2) Two weeks later, they hire a coach guaranteed to fire Guevara, who is one of Robinson's best friends on the team. Seems likely he would've spoken up on that, too. That new coach has since indicated he wants all his midfielders to play both ways, whereas Robbo and Guevara are a traditional offensive/defensive tandem.

3) A week after that, Robbo and Guevara are left unprotected.

I think the shocking part of this is going to be an assumption on Robbo's part that defending Guevara got him turfed, but that he might be wrong, based on Preki's stated preferences, that's all.

ensco
03-30-2010, 06:59 PM
^ahhhh, thanks. The part I didn't know is that Guevara and Robbo were friends. I always thought Guevara went his own way, and that Dichio/Robinson/Brennan, the ex EPL guys, were the closest knit (in terms of the veterans).

olegunnar
03-30-2010, 07:25 PM
You're connecting two things that are probably unconnected. My tip is that Robbo and another player didn't get a long, but I'm not sure it had anything to do with this decision.

1) They give Mo a vote of confidence. I'd say it's a safe assumption, based on the discussion of locker room unrest a month prior, that this was not popular.

2) Two weeks later, they hire a coach guaranteed to fire Guevara, who is one of Robinson's best friends on the team. Seems likely he would've spoken up on that, too. That new coach has since indicated he wants all his midfielders to play both ways, whereas Robbo and Guevara are a traditional offensive/defensive tandem.

3) A week after that, Robbo and Guevara are left unprotected.

I think the shocking part of this is going to be an assumption on Robbo's part that defending Guevara got him turfed, but that he might be wrong, based on Preki's stated preferences, that's all.

Theories like that might hold water in an environment with "normal" people, but we're talking about Mo here.

Lets go crazy here and off the deep end a bit because we're dealing with a certain type of character in Mo.

What if Robbo was shipped out not because of anything he'd done, but because he knew things that were going on that made it safer to have him out of here.

Not related to Robbo, but I've heard from different people I trust some very compelling but at the same time worrying info about Mo, Preki and TFCs relationship with firstwave sports
http://www.firstwavesports.com/firstwave/home

surf around on that site a bit...check out who they represent (players and coaches). Check out their brand new sports marketing arm....check out what events they've put on.

See a pattern??

If a player signs with them they get a % of the contract...what do they do with that money? Keep it? Share it? Do "people" get "finders fees?" What IF Robbo was told...switch your representation to First Wave, under the sham of "renegotiating"...and you can stay at TFC?? Maybe if Gerba had switched...they'd let him stay. Maybe they sent him home to consider it?

If what I've heard from people is the same story that Robbo knows and is talking about sharing at some point...then yes it would be shocking.

rocker
03-30-2010, 07:30 PM
but First Wave represents players on almost every MLS team, and only a portion of TFC's current roster is represented by them, so I'm not sure there's evidence of Mo favouring First Wave Sports. Indeed, Edwards was dumped despite being a First Wave Client.

Signing players isn't a democracy where all agents are equal and teams don't play favourites.

olegunnar
03-30-2010, 07:39 PM
but First Wave represents players on almost every MLS team, and only a portion of TFC's current roster is represented by them, so I'm not sure there's evidence of Mo favouring First Wave Sports. Indeed, Edwards was dumped despite being a First Wave Client.

Signing players isn't a democracy where all agents are equal and teams don't play favourites.

That's right...there are about 4-5 main agencies that deal with MLS. It's a competitive environment where each company are "fighting" for numbers. So I think you can see the advantage of getting people to switch. They advance your size/numbers/revenue at the expense of the others.

With regard to your point about Edwards....his replacement Conway is a represented by Firstwave as well.

I dunno, I'm just putting it out there for Jloome and Ensco to consider, since I repsect their critical thinking abilities.

When I first heard the stories I scoffed at them too...but then I heard then again from someone else...and I started to wonder.

I was going to keep it to myself until I saw that in this thread people were posting theories...then i thought I'd throw the ones I've heard out there for critical review

Beach_Red
03-30-2010, 08:10 PM
^ It wouldn't surprise me at all for MLSE to want to be involved with a company that does its own scouting and supplies most of the players - a much cheaper way to run a team than doing it themslves.

jloome
03-30-2010, 08:18 PM
That's right...there are about 4-5 main agencies that deal with MLS. It's a competitive environment where each company are "fighting" for numbers. So I think you can see the advantage of getting people to switch. They advance your size/numbers/revenue at the expense of the others.

With regard to your point about Edwards....his replacement Conway is a represented by Firstwave as well.

I dunno, I'm just putting it out there for Jloome and Ensco to consider, since I repsect their critical thinking abilities.

When I first heard the stories I scoffed at them too...but then I heard then again from someone else...and I started to wonder.

I was going to keep it to myself until I saw that in this thread people were posting theories...then i thought I'd throw the ones I've heard out there for critical review

It's unfair to suggest there's any kind of backroom payment going on, because there's nothing to remotely suggest it's true.

Much more likely than that is that people in pro sports look out for one another. The ties you're talking about may well exist, but likely just for mutual self-preservation as anything. The biz world is cuththroat, after all.

One thing I'd heardis that the team's so-called African "scout" is a regional player agent, not an independent TFC-compensated scout. Might play into the "it's just cheaper" theory.

scooter
03-30-2010, 08:20 PM
there is stability here

Hustle
03-30-2010, 08:25 PM
He said he wants to Thank everyone who supported him in Toronto. I have the man's name on my jersey, so I would appreciate that if he has anything to say about his departure that will help us supporters in the long term (i.e making Mo look bad) I would prefer it came out now rather than later. I was taught you rip the band aid off quick. If he has something to say he needs to say it now.

olegunnar
03-30-2010, 08:49 PM
^ It wouldn't surprise me at all for MLSE to want to be involved with a company that does its own scouting and supplies most of the players - a much cheaper way to run a team than doing it themslves.

Then instead of Mo must go I'd argue we should be saying First Wave must go. I'd prefer http://www.proactivesportsusa.com/Clients/index_E.html

They have a much better stable of players.

Will never happen though since Mo and Preki and Daso and Winsper and Toshak are all represented by First Wave (kind of a conflict of interest no?)

They won't fire themselves or burn that bridge.

I'm waiting to see if First Wave does our friendlies again, and the MLS cup as well.

mastermixer
03-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Insert obligatory Garcia comment here...

I have a feeling Garcia had something to do with this.

olegunnar
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM

You'll like this for your MLSE jones.

Firstwave ran the open tryouts.
Mojo and his staff will be there assisting in grading and cutting the players. Additionally, as pointed out by Dean McNulty in his article for the Toronto Sun (http://torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2006/12/18/2858680-sun.html), agent Barry MacLean will be there to oversee. McNulty tellingly uses the following phrase:
"Barry MacLean, the sports agent who is running the show for the team"
http://www.torontosoccerfans.com/news/open_trials_started/

1000 kids $120 a head.

$120K, easy money for a couple of days. Wonder how it was split.

DOMIN8R
03-30-2010, 09:02 PM

Are you kidding me? Ensco? Really? That uneducated, unemployable good for nothing.....? You do realize he lives in his parents basement and hasn't held down a job since he was fired from his paper route last year?

Oh wait....

wrong Ensco.

Never mind.

ensco
03-30-2010, 09:08 PM
^domin8r was right the first time - I haven't had a normal job in decades.

Hey dom, btw, how goes the elasticity test 01 thing?

http://www.domin8r.com/

TorCanSoc
03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Oh man Flash messes me up. I'm just finishing up at Seneca's WebMaster program. Impressive Flash stuff. Back then it must've blown people's minds.

RedsYNWA
03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
WOW you suck Domin8r

DOMIN8R
03-30-2010, 09:47 PM
^domin8r was right the first time - I haven't had a normal job in decades.

Hey dom, btw, how goes the elasticity test 01 thing?

http://www.domin8r.com/

Nice find, Euge.

I'll call you tomorrow for lunch.

DOMIN8R
03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
WOW you suck Domin8r

Yeah, I know that's what everybody tells me.

Beach_Red
03-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Then instead of Mo must go I'd argue we should be saying First Wave must go. I'd prefer http://www.proactivesportsusa.com/Clients/index_E.html

They have a much better stable of players.

Maybe they'll merge, then the league really will be a single-entity.

Seriously, though, it does kind of mak a mockery of the Mo Must Go stuff - MLSE may very well fire him to make a bunch of fans happy, but they'll just replace him with someone else from the same agency stable and nothing will really change.

Auzzy
03-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Maybe Robbo just didn't like the amount of speculation that goes on amongst TFC fans & media, and decided it was time for a move because of that... ;)

Kevvv
03-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Re-read the quote:

Let me just say this, I knew back in November that I would be moving and no-one knows the real reasons except me - when I decide I will reveal the reasons and it might just shock a few people.

Everyone is reading into the statement. But it actually says

no-one knows the real reasons except me

Could it be that no-one includes Mo and anyone else involved with the team? Is it possible that there's nothing nefarious or underhanded going on here? I dunno...he could just as easily have said:

I knew back in November that I would be moving and when I decide I will reveal the reasons and it might just shock a few people.

And yet he didn't say it that way.

Oldtimer
03-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Could it be that no-one includes Mo and anyone else involved with the team? Is it possible that there's nothing nefarious or underhanded going on here?

Look at the other things MO has done, starting with DD.

My "MO-meter" tells me that there is almost certainly something nefarious going on, and that it involves MO in some way.

The truth will probably come out only after MoJo is fired as GM of TFC.

brad
03-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Probably too much speculation here.

That's a column that Robbo writes for folks in Wales. I doubt that most of them know the first thing about the workings of TFC, Mo, MLSE, ect. I'd wager that most of them know little beyond what Robbo has written in past columns.

Taking that into account, and considering that his past columns have been glowing about TFC, the fans, ect, I bet his target audience would be suprised by any number of things about that are common knowledge to us.

Shaughno
03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
I think that's a good point Brad. If it's what I've heard bandied about from a few different people, then to me, it's not so shocking, but to someone who doesn't live on these boards... it may very well be.

Beach_Red
03-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Look at the other things MO has done, starting with DD.

My "MO-meter" tells me that there is almost certainly something nefarious going on, and that it involves MO in some way.

The truth will probably come out only after MoJo is fired as GM of TFC.

I don't want to start this over again, but as far as DD went he landed on his feet and that should count for something. Three years earlier the guy's career was over, he was standing in Chicago without a work permit and had nothing - TFC swooped in, gave him a good contract and then encouraged him to get a coaching certificate and then gave him a job when he retired.

Sure, people would have likd to see the guy play a few more games, but far more important to him is that he has a young family to support. TFC did very well by DD.

This team has its problems, but easing a player into a good retirement job when so many athletes screw up that transition isn't one of them.

MG42
04-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Is Robinson injured? He wasn't a sub for last nights game against Seatle.

Kevvv
04-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Knee injury

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2010/04/high-five-red-bulls-set-seattle

Pigfynn
04-04-2010, 09:14 AM
^ and another reason it's ok that he's gone...he's bound to be more and more injury prone nowadays.

I would like to reiterate that Robinson needs to move past the past and stop talking about TFC. If he doesn't he will (at least for me) sour any chance of a decent reception when he comes here to play.

Roogsy
04-04-2010, 09:59 AM
^ and another reason it's ok that he's gone...he's bound to be more and more injury prone nowadays.

I would like to reiterate that Robinson needs to move past the past and stop talking about TFC. If he doesn't he will (at least for me) sour any chance of a decent reception when he comes here to play.

As far as I know this is his first column back home since he was moved so it would be surprising and probably strange if he didn't mention the change at all. He hasn't exactly been babbling non-stop about TFC over there in NY although I am sure the questions are non-stop.

drewski
04-04-2010, 10:49 AM
As far as I know this is his first column back home since he was moved so it would be surprising and probably strange if he didn't mention the change at all. He hasn't exactly been babbling non-stop about TFC over there in TFC although I am sure the questions are non-stop.

yup. the only other times i've heard him talk about TFC is if somebody asks him about it.

Roogsy
04-04-2010, 10:54 AM
True. Considering he pretty much got screwed (he wasn't planning on making another family move at this point and he passed on UK opportunities to stick with TFC) he hasn't been vindictive or unprofessional at all, quite the opposite in fact. He's been extremely professional.

Of course this article reminds me of Rohan and his claim to divulge info when the time is right and we never heard anything at all. :lol:

rocker
04-04-2010, 11:00 AM
True. Considering he pretty much got screwed (he wasn't planning on making another family move at this point and he passed on UK opportunities to stick with TFC) he hasn't been vindictive or unprofessional at all, quite the opposite in fact. He's been extremely professional.

Of course this article reminds me of Rohan and his claim to divulge info when the time is right and we never heard anything at all. :lol:

I don't consider Robbo "screwed."

He got 3 years in Canada with TFC at a good wage. He signed with MLS knowing MLS owns the contracts and players can be traded (he even commented on this quirk one time long ago). Then he got full notice in November about a potential move. And now he's in a great stadium with a good coach, making as much money as ever.

yeah, that's "screwed." ;)

Beach_Red
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM

We don't need to hear - we've already made up our minds who got "screwed," who was the good guy and who was the bad guy everytime with the evidence we have.

Roogsy
04-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't consider Robbo "screwed."

He got 3 years in Canada with TFC at a good wage. He signed with MLS knowing MLS owns the contracts and players can be traded (he even commented on this quirk one time long ago). Then he got full notice in November about a potential move. And now he's in a great stadium with a good coach, making as much money as ever.

yeah, that's "screwed." ;)

To be honest, this sounds a little green with envy.

Yeah, professional athletes make more money than most people. Let's all get over that fact shall we?

The point is that Robbo made a move with a commitment to Toronto and despite that commitment, he was cast aside. Given what has happened, he probably would not have have committed to another contract in Toronto and simply gone back to the UK if he knew all this was going to happen.

So yeah, he knew the possibilities and still signed the contract. Hence he will have to honour the contract and he will go to NY and play for them. My guess is that once the contract is up, he may consider retirement or hopefully an offer from the UK.

Once we get over the fact that these guys are "lucky to play the game they love" and that we would all gladly play for half of their salary and simply look at the facts, it remains true that these guys aren't getting paid nearly what other professional athletes in major sports are getting paid to risk uprooting their families and move from city to city every couple of years. If you're making millions of dollars a year, it's worth it. When you're making just a couple of hundred thousand, believe me that amount begins to look really really small.

Fushida
04-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I don't see how he got "screwed" at all... I think the loyalty aspect of it where we can keep a player taking up a huge chunk (now near DP-level) of our salary is a bit naive... perhaps it's okay without a salary cap, but the point is he wasn't bringing enough to the table to justify that massive salary.... regardless of whether he made a "commitment" or not to Toronto. It would be interesting if we're suggesting that we keep his contract just for the sake of his commitment even though he won't be getting much time in Preki's system.

Pookie
04-04-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't see him being screwed at all. Yes, he had to uproot his family but he had 4 months notice that he wasn't in TFC's plan.

Let's set aside the 4 months notice (vs the weeks that the rest of us are entitled to by law) and focus on the question of moving one's family around.

We all make choices in life. My dad went through University with help from the Military. When he graduated he needed to put time in. During that time, he had to move wherever they wanted him too. I've lived in Germany, BC, Manitoba and Ontario as a kid.

He finally decided he had enough of being told where to live so he opted to retire from the military and pursued a career in the "civilian world." As a result, he's lived in the same community since 1977.

If Robinson's main goal is providing a stable home life for his family, he's in the wrong career as a professional athlete. He chooses to play sport to earn his income. Trades, releases and even road travel are all part of the equation.

If family is indeed the number one importance, he's made the wrong career choice. If it isn't the main factor then he needs to move on and play for the badge he now wears. That is after all, his job.

In fairness, Robinson didn't mention it in his article at all and I would think there is no reason for us to consider it a factor as well.

Roogsy
04-04-2010, 12:09 PM
We're forgetting that players in Europe have much more power over their contracts and where they play than players here. And while someone may have told and reminded Robbo of this fact, I suspect that at the end of the day he was still operating under the assumption and custom that he would have a say of where and when he goes.

As for career choice, while an athlete does take on certain risks, if Robbo wanted to keep that element of instability in his life, I assume he would have stayed in the UK. As it is, he came here under the understanding of a "long term contract" assuming this was going to be his final stop and there will be no more moves. He was trying to do what he could to provide that stability. All you have to do is chat with him for a few minutes to know this. So while we may sit here and coldly declare "that's what you get for being an athlete", it doesn't change the fact that this is the opposite of what he was trying to do.

I also find it a little disappointing to hear these comments myself since I have always appreciated the concept of a player wanting to stay with a team but here we so easily say "since you're an overpaid athlete we're ok with you leaving". And then we wonder and are dismayed when athletes take that attitude to the natural progression of then simply becoming mercenaries that go from team to team with no loyalty? If we want loyalty from our athletes, we have to give them some as well. You can't demand one without giving the other.

Robbo's comments yesterday on Sportsnet:

"Toronto has a great atmosphere there, they have superb fans there. And what they deserve is winning football."My guess is Robbo feels the same way as I do.

Stryker
04-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm not gonna cry over this cause I wanted Robbo gone as his level of play wasen't nearly as high as his level of salary.
Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing was somehow a result of some other snakey issue with Mo.

Beach_Red
04-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I also find it a little disappointing to hear these comments myself since I have always appreciated the concept of a player wanting to stay with a team but here we so easily say "since you're an overpaid athlete we're ok with you leaving". And then we wonder and are dismayed when athletes take that attitude to the natural progression of then simply becoming mercenaries that go from team to team with no loyalty? If we want loyalty from our athletes, we have to give them some as well. You can't demand one without giving the other.

We can't 'demand' anything.

And really, in Toronto we pick favourites - and we're fickle, very fickle. No one complained that Ricketts got "screwed" - even though they dumped him, what, days before his contract would have been guaranteed?

Right now Garcia could be the most loyal guy in the world, no one would care because we don't like him.

This isn't about loyalty or doing what's "right" it's about rewarding our friends, rewarding people we like.

Roogsy
04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
True.

I guess my problem with this scenario is that if this team and this industry is that cold and calculating....why does Mo still have a job??? :noidea:

Pigfynn
04-04-2010, 01:51 PM
As far as I know this is his first column back home since he was moved so it would be surprising and probably strange if he didn't mention the change at all. He hasn't exactly been babbling non-stop about TFC over there in NY although I am sure the questions are non-stop.

He also tweeted some smart ass remark about Marvell being an amazing CB and how it was "ironic" blah, blah, blah... I've heard enough from him honestly. Just focus on playing for the Shite Bulls now. Thank you for your service, we'll be fine.

Roogsy
04-04-2010, 01:58 PM
He also tweeted some smart ass remark about Marvell being an amazing CB and how it was "ironic" blah, blah, blah... I've heard enough from him honestly. Just focus on playing for the Shite Bulls now. Thank you for your service, we'll be fine.

So in the 4 weeks he's been gone we've seen 1 article in his blog in the UK and 1 tweet giving support to a former teammate and neither of which he says anything much at all. Beyond that, everything else TFC related has been thanks to fans sending him messages of support. And to you that is too much? Maybe he should be disallowed to ever refer to Toronto or TFC in any way shape or form?

Brooker
04-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Nobody forced him to uproot his family and come here. Nobody told him he could play forever here no matter how slow or injured he got. Are we supposed to keep somebody around who takes up 300k and isn't worth it just because it's inconvenient for him to move his family?

give your head a shake Roogsy! This is sport.

Beach_Red
04-04-2010, 02:40 PM
True.

I guess my problem with this scenario is that if this team and this industry is that cold and calculating....why does Mo still have a job??? :noidea:

For the same reason his boss still has a job....

Roogsy
04-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Nobody forced him to uproot his family and come here. Nobody told him he could play forever here no matter how slow or injured he got. Are we supposed to keep somebody around who takes up 300k and isn't worth it just because it's inconvenient for him to move his family?

give your head a shake Roogsy! This is sport.

Give yours one first BR...I am not advocating keeping him around. Find me where I said that. I was very vocal about the fact that Robbo had a bad year last year and it's plainly obvious we are loaded up with players in the middle. With his expensive contract, this was bound to happen.

My problem is with how TFC are managing player personnel both from a professional point of view as well as from a cap point of view. Both are of considerable importance when managing a "sport" franchise.

Brooker
04-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Give yours one first BR...I am not advocating keeping him around. Find me where I said that.

????

Roogsy
04-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Loyalty to a player does not mean keeping him around even when it doesn't make sense. It could also mean demanding the team deal with him respectfully and honestly, which they did not do with Robbo. That's a nice leap of assumption you made there...

v00d00daddy
04-04-2010, 04:25 PM
How did the club treat Robbo poorly? I still don't see it.

He was told last November that he wasn't in the clubs future plans.

That's it. Nothing more or less was needed.

He left the UK because TFC offered him 3 years of 300k+ per season. He got that. What more is he owed? He didn't leave because he loves Toronto or any other heartwarming reason. He left for the money and security associated with it. Now...3 years later (since day one for me)...he doesn't warrant the money and the club decided that it was time to part ways. No ticker tape parade needed or deserved.

I have no problem with him talking about Toronto and TFC...my problem is that we're still talking about him.

Who gives a shit...really.

He's with the RedBulls now and they're next to find out exactly what he brings to the table.

I hope he does well but I'm glad he's not our problem anymore. (on the field)

Pigfynn
04-04-2010, 07:37 PM
So in the 4 weeks he's been gone we've seen 1 article in his blog in the UK and 1 tweet giving support to a former teammate and neither of which he says anything much at all. Beyond that, everything else TFC related has been thanks to fans sending him messages of support. And to you that is too much? Maybe he should be disallowed to ever refer to Toronto or TFC in any way shape or form?

Roogsy man,

You honestly don't think he's bitter and that it has been articulated? He is bitter, whether or not its justified is another matter. This is how it is now Carl...taking little shots at your old organization through twitter is cheap and not something I thought a respected pro like Robbo would do, it's sad.

All I was saying was let's all move on, Carl especially...live in the now right? We have more pressing matters, for sure!!!

Roogsy
04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
It seems he has. Most other people, athletes included, would definitely have taken more potshots and spoken out more. The fact that he hasn't in my eyes shows his professionalism. Lacking professionalism is the last thing we can accuse Carl of.

There is a difference between being bitter and being upset. I don't think he's bitter and his statement about the fans in Toronto prove that.

jazzy
04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
exactly, my impression from yesterdays sportsnet was just that, he stated we are the best fans, and deserve a far better team or mgmt that we have ...(my words)

Stryker
04-04-2010, 11:20 PM
If Robbo was getting static from another player I'd bet money it was DeRo. DeRo's attitude towards winning is good for us as fans, but for people he plays with... well I'm sure he's stepped on a few toes and ruffled some feathers.

Pookie
04-05-2010, 07:25 AM
exactly, my impression from yesterdays sportsnet was just that, he stated we are the best fans, and deserve a far better team or mgmt that we have ...(my words)

Pretty unique isn't it? A player complimenting the fans as the "best ever" ;)

He plays for the NYRB now. All sides need to move on.