PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,March.30

denime
03-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV Episode 1 (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp):thumbsup:

New grass for Toronto FC pays quick dividends (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/787289--new-grass-for-toronto-fc-pays-quick-dividends)

Grass already greener for TFC (http://www.kelowna.com/2010/03/30/grass-already-greener-for-tfc/)

Grass Installation Begins at BMO (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100329&content_id=8985018&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Toronto FC needs improvement (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jasondevos/2010/03/toronto-fc-needs-improvement.html)

Man Utd vs. TFC? (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/03/29/man_u_bmo_/)

MLS Cup game coming to Toronto (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/29/sp-mls-cup-toronto.html)

Academy Win Big In Dallas (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100329&content_id=8980962&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280) :)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

London
03-30-2010, 05:29 AM
TFC will try anything to try and make people happy (man U) but how bout making us happy with the team we have.

who wants to buy my united tix LOL

Carts
03-30-2010, 05:50 AM
Man Utd vs. TFC? (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/03/29/man_u_bmo_/)

Every year I never know what to buy my father for his birthday - this would make my life VERY EASY as it would be a slam dunk better present than my sisters get him... :D

IF it happens, I hope they keep the game at BMO, like the RM game, and don't head to the dome...

Carts...

mlsintoronto
03-30-2010, 06:13 AM
TFC isnt playing Man U. we have a game the only day they wanted to come. They'll likely do their own thing down the road.

DOMIN8R
03-30-2010, 06:14 AM
That clears that up.

I'm glad that this has been snuffed out before gaining too much momentum. It had the potential to grow into a leviathan.

Carts
03-30-2010, 06:15 AM
TFC isnt playing Man U. we have a game the only day they wanted to come. They'll likely do their own thing down the road.

Paul, now what the hell am I gonna buy my old man for his birthday...??? :facepalm:

Carts... :D

ensco
03-30-2010, 06:53 AM

Check it out. TFC decided not to move a scheduled game to accomodate a massive friendly.

FluSH
03-30-2010, 07:14 AM
It might just be me, but I thoroughly enjoyed that Grass Piece... how it was cut, the lenght, and thinkness... pretty cool.

canadian_bhoy
03-30-2010, 07:15 AM
The Don is going to be in Toronto today.

That's a nice a doughnut

http://www.i-italy.org/files/imagecache/545x/files/still_photos/Don_homer_1217347452.jpg

Broadview
03-30-2010, 07:18 AM

Could their own thing be at BMO?

mastermixer
03-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Do you mean they will be playing down the road at the Skydome?

Fort York Redcoat
03-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Thank the gods no Man United TFC friendly. Now whatever team they choose I won't feel conflicted at skipping it.

CretanBull
03-30-2010, 07:37 AM

You're learning! Thank you :D

scooter
03-30-2010, 07:44 AM
mornin d

Oldtimer
03-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Do you mean they will be playing down the road at the Skydome?

Of course, you could easily sell out the dome for Manchester United.

ManUtd4ever
03-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Toronto FC needs improvement (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jasondevos/2010/03/toronto-fc-needs-improvement.html)

Excellent article. Insightful and objective analysis of the current state of affairs. Jason de Vos is quietly becoming one of the best football journalists in Toronto...

mlsintoronto
03-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Check it out. TFC decided not to move a scheduled game to accomodate a massive friendly.

never say never Ensco. there were other contributing factors to this one that I can share in a few months...but not now.

drewski
03-30-2010, 07:52 AM

they'll LIKELY do their thing down the road?

i draw 2 things from that,

-either it was just a cautionary comment cause nothing is for sure

-or, there is a chance they could play at BMO which means the game would be on July 17th.

mlsintoronto
03-30-2010, 07:54 AM

-or, there is a chance they could play at BMO which means the game would be on July 17th.

funny you should bring that date up. Toronto FC is in Philly that day. And the Indy takes over Ex Place for that weekend.

drewski
03-30-2010, 07:56 AM
funny you should bring that date up. Toronto FC is in Philly that day. And the Indy takes over Ex Place for that weekend.

oh ya, forgot about indy.

keeping the weekend of the 24th open now

CretanBull
03-30-2010, 08:06 AM
never say never Ensco. there were other contributing factors to this one that I can share in a few months...but not now.

He's trying to give you credit for not screwing things up, don't let "other contributing factors" share in the glory ;)

Technorgasm
03-30-2010, 08:32 AM
I cringe everytime I see "Toronto FC WAs one of only 2 teams to turn a profit. . . "

Because that means that ALL the Key stakeholders are getting their needs met. . . all Except the largest group of all. . . .US. . the SUpporters.

Why is it that the Fans in professional sport are constantly marginalized? Sure we can argue that without the support there would not be a team blah, blah. . but if the wheels of this organization are being greased as well as the media and the league higher-ups keep saying, there has got to be a point when RESULTS equal the emotional and financial output of this city and the supporters.

We all know it is going to be a tough year, but being a bankable success year in, year out, can only make things easier. . .There are a lot of us that post here, that I am sure share this feeling.l Sure we gripe and bitch. . constantly but we wil still be going to games, home and away and strive to set the mark high for rival clubs and supporters groups.

case in point: Hosting the MLS CUp. . . just after hosting the All Star Game.

We MUST retain the "media darling" status here. . it can only help pressure the powers that be to use their influence to help us win games, get points, feature in post season play, anf maybe. . .just maybe. . . take to the pitch for an MLS Cup Championship game. . . one day.

Jimmy B - I'm behind ya buddy.

Auzzy
03-30-2010, 09:06 AM
oh ya, forgot about indy.

keeping the weekend of the 24th open now

The Indy is taking over the Ex Place on the 17th ("contributing factors"), not Rogers Centre. I.e., if you want to see ManU, leave your schedule open for the weekend of the 17th in the Rogers Centre. BTW the Jays are playing away that weekend. Just a hunch though...

EDIT: BTW Argos are playing at home on the evening of the 14th. How much time did they need last time to put down the temporary grass?

billyfly
03-30-2010, 09:12 AM

This ties into what Paul said in the TorontoFC website:

"We are not going to pack this summer full of friendly matches because we want to take a conservative approach with the grass and make sure that when we are playing league matches it is up to par."

drewski
03-30-2010, 09:18 AM
The Indy is taking over the Ex Place on the 17th ("contributing factors"), not Rogers Centre. I.e., if you want to see ManU, leave your schedule open for the weekend of the 17th in the Rogers Centre. BTW the Jays are playing away that weekend. Just a hunch though...

EDIT: BTW Argos are playing at home on the evening of the 14th. How much time did they need last time to put down the temporary grass?

true. I wrongly assumed since the day they wanted to play TFC on a day TFC had another game booked that it was on a day TFC was booked to play at home.

looking at the SKyDome sched, it has to be the 17th or 24th cause the Jays play at home every other TFC gameday. Probably the 17th cause there is an argo's game on the 23rd so no time to lay grass (and I doubt they'd be happy with CFL tearing it up the day before)

greatwhitenorf
03-30-2010, 09:26 AM
If there's concern about a CFL conflict, just move the Argo game to Ivor Wynne. More fans would show up to heckle them than cheer at Skydome.

Beach_Red
03-30-2010, 09:34 AM
If there's concern about a CFL conflict, just move the Argo game to Ivor Wynne. More fans would show up to heckle them than cheer at Skydome.

it's funny, the big CFL success story, Montreal playing in Molson Stadium reviving football in Quebec and all that happened beause U2 were playing the Big O and the Als game had to be moved.

If there was anywhere else in Toronto the Argos could play it would probably be a huge success. Maybe they could play two games in Moncton this summer...

boban
03-30-2010, 09:40 AM

I take it as they have a chance of coming here, but at SkyDome.

drewski
03-30-2010, 09:50 AM
If there was anywhere else in Toronto the Argos could play it would probably be a huge success. Maybe they could play two games in Moncton this summer...

i can think of one place, but we dont' wanna go there

JDG
03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2mpxt8l.jpg

Detroit_TFC
03-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Oh, the dream scenario of Utd v City is getting closer and closer...

Whoop
03-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Isn't that the NER logo?

ManUtd4ever
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Isn't that the NER logo?

DOH!

Beach_Red
03-30-2010, 10:13 AM
i can think of one place, but we dont' wanna go there

I hope you're thinking of Lamport or Varsity....

Kaz
03-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Is that a mock up or a real image? because I didn't think even MLSE was dumb enough to use New England's logo... or is that a sign the MLS is like the WWE and the outcome is already pre determined this year?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2mpxt8l.jpg

TFC Cityboy
03-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Oh, the dream scenario of Utd v City is getting closer and closer...
wouldn't be shocked if that happened on this continent this summer with City planning on pre season in the US.
Nothing beats the arse-clenching tension of dark streets in Moss Side for a derby tho!!

JDG
03-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Isn't that the NER logo?

Is that a mock up or a real image? because I didn't think even MLSE was dumb enough to use New England's logo... or is that a sign the MLS is like the WWE and the outcome is already pre determined this year?

Paul shared the photo so I'm pretty sure he took the shot himself.
I'm going to guess that the NER logo was there when he snapped the picture, but the logos are rotating through the entire list of teams in the MLS.
Better timing might have gotten an image with the TFC logo, but this is all we have for now.

drewski
03-30-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm guessing/hoping the logo's cycle through and paul was too lazy to wait for TFC's logo to come around

TFCREDNWHITE
03-30-2010, 10:23 AM
the logos probably cycle through all the teams logos....when paul took the snap shot it just happened to be on New Englands.......

drewski
03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I hope you're thinking of Lamport or Varsity....

got no problem going there...so no.

drewski
03-30-2010, 10:31 AM
That video board is cycling through all teams, silly people!

next faux-crisis please :D

Whoop
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
We just like to complain.

Speaking of academies... I know the FC Dallas academy will be going to AEGON Future Cup being hosted by AFC Ajax Amsterdam next weekend. They'll be joined by Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Anderlecht, Liverpool, and China U17 team.

It would be cool to see the TFC Academy participate in such tournaments.

drewski
03-30-2010, 10:46 AM
We just like to complain.

true. and we do it so well :lol:

Mark in Ottawa
03-30-2010, 10:51 AM
So we get a chance to see Man Utd's 2nd or 3rd squad as they travel around North America and let their first team rest up after the world cup... great :rolleyes:

I wonder what kind of reception Owen Hargreaves will get?

rocker
03-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Excellent article. Insightful and objective analysis of the current state of affairs. Jason de Vos is quietly becoming one of the best football journalists in Toronto...

ya, FINALLY a journalist covering the team actually talks about the way the team plays in depth, rather than the controversies or personalities or side issues. his analysis is great.

v00d00daddy
03-30-2010, 12:05 PM
ya, FINALLY a journalist covering the team actually talks about the way the team plays in depth, rather than the controversies or personalities or side issues. his analysis is great.

I liked the article too but I don't really agree with DeVos' view on the game.

During the Columbus game he actually said that TFC were playing too many short passes in the middle of the park. I couldn't believe it.

It's one thing to say that the team is not stringing together enough passes in the midfield...and totally another to suggest that they're doing it too much.

Also...it's as if they heard him say it because they promptly went on to aimlessly hoof the ball up the field for the majority of the game.

DeVos is still stuck in his playing days when it comes to his view on how the game should be played.

Again...I like the way he covers the team (actually talking about the team on the field).

moralis
03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Question for Paul Beirne:

Do you know if TFC season ticket holders will get first crack at MLS Cup tickets? How will it work out?

billyfly
03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I want MLSE to get rid of that stupid looking (and rusty) "artwork" in front of the ACC.

Nuvinho
03-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Question for Paul Beirne:

Do you know if TFC season ticket holders will get first crack at MLS Cup tickets? How will it work out?

from the official press release:

Information regarding ticket sales for MLS Cup 2010 will be announced at a later date, but Toronto FC season ticket holders will have priority.

jenkinsm
03-30-2010, 01:15 PM
from the official press release:

It only makes sense that the supporters would get first crack. They represent the best possible reception for this type of event bringing the emotion and energy they need to make it a success.

gtaguy
03-30-2010, 01:36 PM
It only makes sense that the supporters would get first crack. They represent the best possible reception for this type of event bringing the emotion and energy they need to make it a success.

Without the supporters where would this club be today .. In a way i think it was awarded to Toronto becuase they know we can Finish the season with a HUGE BANG. Showcasing not only Toronto as a serious soccer city but huge in Knowledgeable fans and support. :scarf::flare::scarf:

ag futbol
03-30-2010, 01:36 PM
I always find it funny the "only two teams made a profit" statement. If FCD claimed to be profitable previously (with no fans and based off other revenue), as did the LA galaxy. I assume LA's spending has put them in the red.

If a team like RSL can't be profitable drawing 16k per game in their own stadium, the economic model of this league is flawed to it's core. Because you'd be saying you need basically a packed house of 20k per game and higher ticket prices. There is no way the league is operating under those kinds of conditions with a 2.5 M dollar payroll.

ag futbol
03-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Oh I wanted to say it's good to see the academy doing well. Hopefully some of these kids make it to TFC one day and MLS starts to see the benefits of a bulked up youth system.

Strange fact: the Sueño MLS winner from last season snubbed the league then signed with River Plate. He started in the derby match against Boca a couple weeks ago.

oops!

CretanBull
03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
I liked the article too but I don't really agree with DeVos' view on the game.

During the Columbus game he actually said that TFC were playing too many short passes in the middle of the park. I couldn't believe it.

It's one thing to say that the team is not stringing together enough passes in the midfield...and totally another to suggest that they're doing it too much.

Also...it's as if they heard him say it because they promptly went on to aimlessly hoof the ball up the field for the majority of the game.

DeVos is still stuck in his playing days when it comes to his view on how the game should be played.

Again...I like the way he covers the team (actually talking about the team on the field).

We'd all like the team to play like Barcalona, but we're missing a Xavi or two (or 11) :D

ag futbol
03-30-2010, 04:38 PM
What were actually missing is wingers (still).

Appologies to Labrocca, Saric, Gala and Cronin (who's not a winger anyways). But the roster doesn't have any fast players out wide.

RBNY has been a textbook case of good wide play opening day and against Santos. You have fast players out wide, it helps the counter attack, keeps the other team honest and opens up the field.

Opposing teams have been stuffing TFC in the middle for about 2 years now. No width!

ensco
03-30-2010, 05:12 PM

You want to turn us into the Washington Generals, you got to pay.

I'm all about the ancillary benefits. We got grass because of the RM friendly.

So my suggestion is, any midseason friendly where you move a game, MLSE owes the fans something useful: a DP striker, a million dollars for the academy, 4 new full time scouts, stuff like that....deal?

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-30-2010, 05:13 PM
^ Wingers, strikers, center backs, we're more than a few pieces shy of the puzzle. The positive news about the MLS Cups and the grass instillation has taken the focus off the team's systemic player personnel problems.

mlsintoronto
03-30-2010, 07:01 PM
You want to turn us into the Washington Generals, you got to pay.

I'm all about the ancillary benefits. We got grass because of the RM friendly.

So my suggestion is, any midseason friendly where you move a game, MLSE owes the fans something useful: a DP striker, a million dollars for the academy, 4 new full time scouts, stuff like that....deal?

only if you give us a bye for the current dp, the academy, 3 scouts, and 3 byes for the grass. deal?

CretanBull
03-30-2010, 07:12 PM
only if you give us a bye for the current dp, the academy, 3 scouts, and 3 byes for the grass. deal?

Can we give MO one "bye"? :seeya:

TFCUNITED
03-30-2010, 08:48 PM
^ :rofl:

MFG1
03-30-2010, 09:50 PM
I want MLSE to get rid of that stupid looking (and rusty) "artwork" in front of the ACC.

hahaha if you knew what they paid for the commission of those rusty star tubes you would crap your self. It was a friend of mine's stepfather that designed those.

billyfly
03-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Tell him I hate it....lol

Is there an agreement to keep them there for a x amount of time?

Oldtimer
03-31-2010, 07:25 AM
Can we give MO one "bye"? :seeya:

:lol:

Chevy
03-31-2010, 08:04 AM
hahaha if you knew what they paid for the commission of those rusty star tubes you would crap your self. It was a friend of mine's stepfather that designed those.

I think he also designed the work outside the McMichael gallery in Klienburg that caused a real fuss.

That said - i like the rusty star tubes!