PDA

View Full Version : Manchester United to Toronto?

mastermixer
03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Looks like it may be happening this summer! :flare:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/03/report-manchester-united-set-for-north-american-summer-tour-including-mls-allstar-game.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SoccerByIves+%28Soccer+By+Ive s%29

billyfly
03-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Not the first time this has been speculated

[NBF]
03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
If it become official, I hope thats good enough, publicity to attract the attention of a quality Centre back to want to play for at least half the season.

I can't imagine Garcia versus Rooney, I wouldn't want the team to be know for having ended Rooney's or Berbatov's career, please God no more nightmares, :hulk:

MUFC_Niagara
03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
From what I am hearing and reading, it's unlikely they will play at BMO. Rogers Centre against another top European team is more likely.

Whoop
03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Even if United is coming to Toronto I doubt you'll see guys like Rooney on the pitch. Maybe some of the younger guys and the non-WC guys.

MUFC_Niagara
03-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Even if United is coming to Toronto I doubt you'll see guys like Rooney on the pitch. Maybe some of the younger guys and the non-WC guys.

Well, i'm not so sure about that. As I said in the United thread, in 2004 they brought a full squad and that was after Euro 2004. I am pretty sure in the WC/Euro years the EPL starts a week or two later.

Oldtimer
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
It would be nice to yell at that "Englishman," Hargreaves.

Whoop
03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm sure that SAF would want to give those guys a rest after the WC...

But I guess it depends on the timing of the tour. If it's just before the EPL season, then SAF might use the games to get the guys acclimatized to any new signings.

Also depends how deep into the WC some of the players go.

werewolf
03-29-2010, 02:47 PM
might be in the contract that the top players have to play a half, barring injury.

MUFC_Niagara
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
might be in the contract that the top players have to play a half, barring injury.

I am almost positive the tour will start July 25 or even July 27 with the All-Star game. That would be two weeks after the WC Final, and that barring injury, the entire squad will be here. The same thing happened in 2004. Euro 2004 ended July 4, NA tour began July 24. United brought a full squad that time.

ilikemusic
03-29-2010, 03:00 PM
MLSE has caught on. If they bring in the big names, they charge pracitcally whatever they want.

MUFC_Niagara
03-29-2010, 03:01 PM
MLSE has caught on. If they bring in the big names, they charge pracitcally whatever they want.

Yup, and for United 2 rows from the corner flag, i'll pay it!!!

cmonyoureds
03-29-2010, 08:31 PM
if this happens, i'll remortgage the house to get in.

emmm, maybe i'd better edit that, MLSE might directly quote that when they release ticket prices.......

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-29-2010, 08:39 PM
im sure the game will be apart of our SEASON TICKETS!!!.CARLSBERG CUP TICKET!!

:drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking: :drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking: :drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
including allstar game..fooook me?

Houston??

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Playing in TO..very possible..but against TFC??? I believe it when i see it!

drewski
03-29-2010, 08:52 PM
as I said in the United thread, last year RM was played on an off-weekend, which they don't have this year, so there's a better chance it won't be versus TFC.

and if its 2 big clubs, I see them playing at Skydome.

drewski
03-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Yup, and for United 2 rows from the corner flag, i'll pay it!!!

^^^^
What he said.

you don't wanna know what I'd do for'em

Darlofletch
03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
as I said in the United thread, last year RM was played on an off-weekend, which they don't have this year, so there's a better chance it won't be versus TFC.

they didn't have an off weekend last year either, they had to move the red bulls game.

I hope it's at the skydome against another big team, bmo full of man u fans for a tfc game would be awful.

drewski
03-29-2010, 09:02 PM
they didn't have an off weekend last year either, they had to move the red bulls game.

I hope it's at the skydome against another big team, bmo full of man u fans for a tfc game would be awful.

oh ya, forgot about the game move.

MUFC_Niagara
03-29-2010, 09:02 PM

I agree, BMO doesn't do them justice.

TFCUNITED
03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
I really hope they come. If they do come, I have to pay attention for when tickets go on sale so I don't get stuck paying twice the price to get it from someone.

akoto
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM

We do have August 12th until the 20th (inclusive) off. I'm not sure when the EPL season starts though.

Redpunkfiddle
03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I might be hallucinating, but I could have swore I just saw a news headline on the MLS website that said 'Man Utd to play All-Star game'. Its gone now though... but with all the tek problems they are having...

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/report-manchester-united-play-mls-all-star-game

It just says they might be the team.

CretanBull
03-29-2010, 09:48 PM
I wonder how much a ticket within battery throwing distance will cost?

MUFC_Niagara
03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I wonder how much a ticket within battery throwing distance will cost?

LOL.....i'm sure koryo will be with you!

Mak
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
5 years ago i went to Chicago to see MUFC play Bayern Munich. Bayern showed up with their whole first team...I mean everyone...Ballack etc. MUFC showed up with their reserve team. I drove 8hrs to see that garbage. Adidas was even kind enough to hand out FREE Bayern jerseys...YES FREE to everyone who attended...I probably took 10 and gave them to friends and family. MUFC was in breach of their contract, so they flew in 6 1st team members for their next game in Boston or NYC 2 days later because the hosts threatened to sue MUFC. Don't forget, it's a WC year, so. most of the stars will not show up...

Detroit_TFC
03-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Nothing is signed yet and these things have a way of falling through, so says MLS/SUM.

From Houston Chronicle:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6935114.html

The article notes that Man City is a possible alternative, as they are expected to be touring in the US as well.

If Man City plays Utd as one of those four games... oh I have to sit down and catch my breath just thinking of it.

CretanBull
03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
^ If that's the team that you support, who cares who they send? Of course I understand wanting to see Rooney etc. but if I were in your place I'd be happy to see..I dunno Darren Gibson or whoever...I wouldn't call that "garbage".

And hey, at least you got to see Bayern play!

KezmanCCCC
03-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I hope Man united comes to toronto but not to play TFC... they should play another european power house club... it would be amazing...

Alonso
03-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Manchester United vs. MLS allstars... ok, Manchester United vs. other EPL team... hell yeah!, Manchester Untied vs. TFC... hell NO!

I just don't see the point of bringing in teams to embarrass TFC with a lopsided win with out them even really trying. It just is bad bad karma, plus people cheer for the opposition at these matches. I went to the Real Madrid game, wasn't going to go but my girlfriend surprised me with the tickets for my birthday. It made me sick to my stomach hearing the fans in my section cheering for Madrid and going on about how bad we (TFC) suck. I turned around and had a yelling match with a girl who wouldn't shut up about TFC being shiite.

Why? Just why?

KezmanCCCC
03-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Manchester United vs. MLS allstars... ok, Manchester United vs. other EPL team... hell yeah!, Manchester Untied vs. TFC... hell NO!

I just don't see the point of bringing in teams to embarrass TFC with a lopsided win with out them even really trying. It just is bad bad karma, plus people cheer for the opposition at these matches. I went to the Real Madrid game, wasn't going to go but my girlfriend surprised me with the tickets for my birthday. It made me sick to my stomach hearing the fans in my section cheering for Madrid and going on about how bad we (TFC) suck. I turned around and had a yelling match with a girl who wouldn't shut up about TFC being shiite.

Why? Just why?

yea the problem with that game is there were people just going to see real madrid.. people that never watched a TFC game in their entier life... disgraceful... i fully agree with you....

CretanBull
03-29-2010, 10:31 PM

Why? Just why?

Man U? I'm not worried...Leeds beat them, TFC can too :D

DOMIN8R
03-30-2010, 06:20 AM
We can put this to rest. PB has indicated that MU will not be coming this year.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=953952#post953952

brad
03-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Why? Just why?

$$$$

brad
03-30-2010, 07:34 AM
We can put this to rest. PB has indicated that MU will not be coming this year.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=953952#post953952

He confirmed that they are not going to play TFC, not that they aren't coming to TO.

brad
03-30-2010, 07:37 AM
5 years ago i went to Chicago to see MUFC play Bayern Munich. Bayern showed up with their whole first team...I mean everyone...Ballack etc. MUFC showed up with their reserve team. I drove 8hrs to see that garbage. Adidas was even kind enough to hand out FREE Bayern jerseys...YES FREE to everyone who attended...I probably took 10 and gave them to friends and family. MUFC was in breach of their contract, so they flew in 6 1st team members for their next game in Boston or NYC 2 days later because the hosts threatened to sue MUFC. Don't forget, it's a WC year, so. most of the stars will not show up...

And, as mentioned numerous times, Fergie admitted that this was a PR gaffe and had a number of first teamers on the plane for the next game. I highly doubt that they will book a PR tour and leave the most marketable faces at home. That sort of defeats the purpose.

When I saw them play Celtic in Seattle the full first team was out, it was a fantastic night out.

Fort York Redcoat
03-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Let's skip ahead to the conjecture please. Who's United going to play????

I say Aberdeen and SAF will manage both sides...no, switch at the half.

It'll happen, right?

STB
03-30-2010, 07:42 AM
;953352']
I can't imagine Garcia versus Rooney, I wouldn't want the team to be know for having ended Rooney's or Berbatov's career, please God no more nightmares, :hulk:
Have i ever mentioned how much i love Garcia LOL <3

brad
03-30-2010, 07:43 AM

Tottenham, Manchester City and Valencia are all going to be over here this summer.

Manchester Derby in Toronto anyone?

spark
03-30-2010, 08:29 AM

Juventus

drewski
03-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Tottenham, Manchester City and Valencia are all going to be over here this summer.

I prefer Valencia. David Villa's new team versus his old team :D:D:D

(a man can dream can't he?)

greatwhitenorf
03-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Spurs. Proper tune up for their CL qualifier.

MUFC_Niagara
03-30-2010, 09:26 AM

Any of those teams would do me just fine....

Whoop
03-30-2010, 09:35 AM
If it doesn't conflict with a TFC match, I would be interested in seeing two quality teams play against each other and go as a neutral.

Depending on the cost of course.

drewski
03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
If it doesn't conflict with a TFC match, I would be interested in seeing two quality teams play against each other and go as a neutral.

Depending on the cost of course.

paul said it was the same day as a TFC game up the road. probably the away game on the 17th cause the jays play most other days TFC plays except the 24th, but the argo's are at the dome the day before so that makes it less likley.

Mark in Ottawa
03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
So we get a chance to see Man Utd's 2nd or 3rd squad as they travel around North America and let their first team rest up after the world cup... great :rolleyes:

I wonder what kind of reception Owen Hargreaves will get?

drewski
03-30-2010, 11:10 AM
So we get a chance to see Man Utd's 2nd or 3rd squad as they travel around North America and let their first team rest up after the world cup... great :rolleyes:

I wonder what kind of reception Owen Hargreaves will get?

lot of first teamers who aren't playing in the world cup

VDS, Berba, Evans, Giggs, Neville (maybe),Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Valencia, Obertan.

depending how things go, we migth see some WC'ers too ie. if Serbia & Korea don't get out of their groups we could see Park & Vidic.

Hell, if England have to face Germany in the round of 16 on June 26/27, that would leave 3-4 weeks between their last game & the game here, making fore a tiny chance for Rooney et al.

nascarguy
03-30-2010, 10:34 PM
I do not think mlse has anything to do with this game reports are that it will be played in the rogers centre.

Detroit_TFC
03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
If in fact the FO declined a friendly with MUFC in order to maintain the integrity of our league schedule, that is a huge leap. I imagine there were other considerations that went into the decision but still, that is extraordinary.

I wonder if the money details weren't to MLSE's liking, that would explain it too (ie MUFC gets truckloads of money, MLSE gets the pocket change).

Oldtimer
03-31-2010, 09:58 AM
If in fact the FO declined a friendly with MUFC in order to maintain the integrity of our league schedule, that is a huge leap. I imagine there were other considerations that went into the decision but still, that is extraordinary.

I wonder if the money details weren't to MLSE's liking, that would explain it too (ie MUFC gets truckloads of money, MLSE gets the pocket change).

There is also the auto race scheduled at the Ex for the same weekend.

brad
03-31-2010, 10:03 AM

Is integrity of the league schedule the reason? All I heard was that MLSE declined it. Paul said we'd have to wait a couple of months for the reason.

If that is not confirmed, there could be plenty of reasons (ie - demands by United TFC can't/won't meet, already committed to another friendly on that date)

drewski
03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
There is also the auto race scheduled at the Ex for the same weekend.

in theory they still coulda moved it to SkyDome, though it might not be as big of a draw as 2 big euro teams, so I assume it was something else that made them decide to say no (thankfully)

zeelaw
03-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Hmm, interesting decision by TFC

boban
03-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Hmm, interesting decision by TFC
Why?
ManU want a bigger venue. MLSE doesn't want it no where but the NSS where they know they can rape the fan.
Impasse is inevitable.

Toronto_Bhoy
03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Tom Anselmi said this morning on the FAN that there had been discussions with United but TFC had issues with the date(s) ManU had offered.

But he didn't rule out the Red Devils playing in Toronto.

Boris
03-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Why?
ManU want a bigger venue. MLSE doesn't want it no where but the NSS where they know they can rape the fan.
Impasse is inevitable.

MLSE wants the games to be at BMO because of the investment they have put into it. Whats the point in pouring so much money into the stadium if it wont be used.

just makes logical sense

Ladies Love Julius James
03-31-2010, 10:54 AM
I got the date, venue and everything else.

First of all shameless plug www.juliusjames.blogspot.com (http://www.juliusjames.blogspot.com)

secondly the game is July 17th, Rogers Centre and it's Manchester United vs Celtic.

drewski
03-31-2010, 11:04 AM

First of all shameless plug www.juliusjames.blogspot.com (http://www.juliusjames.blogspot.com)

secondly the game is July 17th, Rogers Centre and it's Manchester United vs Celtic.

+100000

heard the exact same thing, including Celtic

Whoop
03-31-2010, 11:10 AM
I guess I'll be skipping this one.

TFC Cityboy
03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Yup I'll pass too- would be very bad for my blood pressure to be around that lot.

mastermixer
03-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Yup, hope they hire some extra security for that one.

flatpicker
03-31-2010, 11:31 AM
MU and Celtic?
I might check that out.
Don't know who I would cheer for though.

stugautz
03-31-2010, 11:35 AM

I'll be skipping that. Philly road trip is where I'll be!

Whoop
03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Good point.

Philly baby!

flatpicker
03-31-2010, 11:37 AM
oh shit... Philly... forgot about that.... don't think I will be seeing MU v Celtic after all

boban
03-31-2010, 12:08 PM
MLSE wants the games to be at BMO because of the investment they have put into it. Whats the point in pouring so much money into the stadium if it wont be used.

just makes logical sense
Please stop making nonsense comments like this.

TFCUNITED
03-31-2010, 12:15 PM

I'd ask the same thing from you.

boban
03-31-2010, 12:18 PM
I'd ask the same thing from you.
Where??

Shaughno
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Would it be wrong if I said everywhere? :lol:

boban
03-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Would it be wrong if I said everywhere? :lol:
Guess you don't have the IQ to comprehend then. :lol:

Shaughno
03-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Right... since you know, Boris' comment didn't make any sense... oh wait, you just didn't understand it yourself.

TFCUNITED
03-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Guess you don't have the IQ to comprehend then. :lol:

Oh the irony.

boban
03-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Right... since you know, Boris' comment didn't make any sense... oh wait, you just didn't understand it yourself.
I understand it completely, hence the comment.

Ageroo
03-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Everyone please settle it down.......

drewski
03-31-2010, 01:24 PM

spending ~10% of the original cost of the stadium on things like grass, north stand, is pouring money in IMO. and when that 8k more seats come in, most of its probably gonna be MLSE money too.

boban
03-31-2010, 01:33 PM
spending ~10% of the original cost of the stadium on things like grass, north stand, is pouring money in IMO. and when that 8k more seats come in, most of its probably gonna be MLSE money too.
:picard:

Most of the grass was paid by the Edu transfer.
And in my mind, as with most people, pouring money means paying something expensive for something, or something more than minimal. Peddie said himself in 2007 the stadium was built on the cheap .. 'bare bones' were his exact words. This north stand being built is nothing to upgrade the stadium. It is only an expansion. There is no bar raised on the design nor on the finishes of the stadium relative to what exists now in other parts. In other words, its still on the cheap. There is no 'pouring' of money going on here. Just minimal what is is needed. (Never mind the double the price of tickets for this section).

drewski
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
:picard:

Most of the grass was paid by the Edu transfer.
And in my mind, as with most people, pouring money means paying something expensive for something, or something more than minimal. Peddie said himself in 2007 the stadium was built on the cheap .. 'bare bones' were his exact words. This north stand being built is nothing to upgrade the stadium. It is only an expansion. There is no bar raised on the design nor on the finishes of the stadium relative to what exists now in other parts. In other words, its still on the cheap. There is no 'pouring' of money going on here. Just minimal what is is needed. (Never mind the double the price of tickets for this section).

where MLSE gots the money for the changes is irrelevant. the fact is they chose to spend it on BMO instead of any other number of options.

By all accounts, the grass system being put in is anything but bare-bones or cheap which would fall under your definition of "pouring money in".

While the north stand construction isn't top quality admittedly, they are still putting more money into the stadium instead keeping it for the shareholders or who knows what else.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-31-2010, 01:44 PM
United Celtic july 17th....is this for real?

MUFC_Niagara
03-31-2010, 01:48 PM
I'll be singing the Park song all game long....

TFC Cityboy
03-31-2010, 02:02 PM
that is a great song.

drewski
03-31-2010, 02:04 PM
I'll be singing the Park song all game long....

i don't care if he's playin or even there, gotta get some white pele going to.

MrHawk
03-31-2010, 02:04 PM
We sang the Park song at the RPB Indoor League in Burlington.

boban
03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
where MLSE gots the money for the changes is irrelevant. the fact is they chose to spend it on BMO instead of any other number of options.

By all accounts, the grass system being put in is anything but bare-bones or cheap which would fall under your definition of "pouring money in".

While the north stand construction isn't top quality admittedly, they are still putting more money into the stadium instead keeping it for the shareholders or who knows what else.
Give me a blank cheque to spend on anything I want I'll go balls out also.
But I not getting in a tit for tat about the field. a field is just that a field. The stadium is something else entirely. And the actual stadium is bares bones. Bare bones like before but higher prices.

Shaughno
03-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Adding seats to the stadium doesn't make players want to come to Toronto any more than they already would. Adding proper grass to a stadium so they aren't playing on shitty ass overused FieldTurf... it at least gives us a credible surface to try and entice players with.

Besides, who else do you think the grass was for? Us?

boban
03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Oh I agree with most of what your are saying.
I just meant that the field is a separate component.
It's the stands that make a stadium.

Shaughno
03-31-2010, 03:40 PM
So they should have spent the money on the stands instead? Giving us a north end and MORE seating?

I'm not sure what else you're looking for... baby steps. No point expanding to 30k off the bat.

boban
03-31-2010, 03:44 PM
So they should have spent the money on the stands instead? Giving us a north end and MORE seating?

I'm not sure what else you're looking for... baby steps. No point expanding to 30k off the bat.
Not saying that. Why do guys on this board always equate things to either this or that? Why can't it be AND?
All I am saying is they should increase the budget - that's all.
More seating yes, but also an upgrade in the facility. There is no upgrade from the stands of 2007 to the stands currently going up.

Dougrd
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
any word on the opposition?

Ladies Love Julius James
03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Celtic....

deeznutz
03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Tickets going on sale???? wheeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn................

Redpunkfiddle
03-31-2010, 08:44 PM
I'll be skipping that. Philly road trip is where I'll be!

As the kids say-

'This'

TFC Bhoy
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
i spent the money last year to watch Celtic's under 18 team pretty much. If the first team or even reserves come this year I just can't ever turn down a chance to watch the hoops play!

denime
04-01-2010, 05:27 AM
Expect shirts, not stars (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/31/13430536.html)

That rumoured “Manchester United” vs. “Celtic” friendly likely won’t include top players.

There has yet to be an official announcement, but supporters of both Manchester United and Scottish giant Celtic are gearing up for a friendly between the two teams at Rogers Centre on either July 16 or 17.

OneLoveOneEric
04-01-2010, 06:31 AM
That's ok. Like Seinfeld says -- I cheer for the laundry.

Shaughno
04-01-2010, 07:15 AM
No worries there, as long as they don't charge out the ass like the players will be there.

I'm quite content seeing the bench players and possibly Giggs/Scholes/Neville again.

drewski
04-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Tickets going on sale???? wheeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn................

i'm gonna guess they'll say that sometime after they actually sign the deal and announce it.

denime
04-01-2010, 07:31 AM
So you guys will not go to Philly on July 17th to support your beloved TFC?:facepalm::hide:

OneLoveOneEric
04-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Nope. Sorry.

Davenport
04-01-2010, 07:38 AM
United Celtic july 17th....is this for real?
Hope not.

MrHawk
04-01-2010, 07:39 AM
No worries there, as long as they don't charge out the ass like the players will be there.

I'm quite content seeing the bench players and possibly Giggs/Scholes/Neville again.

These matches (unless UEFA/FIFA Sanctioned) seldomly include top stars.

When Italy/Serbia came to Roger's Centre, none of their starting team showed up.

Dinamo/Rangers = Same thing.

How did Benfica/Celtic turn out?

drewski
04-01-2010, 07:42 AM
So you guys will not go to Philly on July 17th to support your beloved TFC?:facepalm::hide:

let me think about that

no

MrHawk
04-01-2010, 07:48 AM

So a question for you (just out of curiosity)

Say Crvena Zvezda came to Toronto (And they haven't been around here in a LONG time) to play let's say...............Olympiakos or Spartak Moskva etc and it was on a day TFC was playing on an away trip..........what would you do? I fully imagine your response would be "See TFC", but just be honest :)

drewski
04-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Hope not.

unless things fall through, it is Celtic

Joe Kool
04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
"The CFL’s Argos play host to Calgary July 14, so there would be no time to change the surface."

Sounds like they will have CFL lines on the pitch for this game too. That kinda sucks.

TFCtoMUFC
04-01-2010, 08:03 AM
"The CFL’s Argos play host to Calgary July 14, so there would be no time to change the surface."

Sounds like they will have CFL lines on the pitch for this game too. That kinda sucks.

If the game is on the 17th they will have 2 full days. I also wouldn't doubt people higher up in management asking the CFL to change the schedule for this game to fit in. CFL doesn't sell out, Manchester United will.

TFCtoMUFC
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't expect SK to go far in the World Cup so Park better play. I don't expect Rooney, Ferdinand, Vidic, or Evra though.

Shaughno
04-01-2010, 08:08 AM

When Italy/Serbia came to Roger's Centre, none of their starting team showed up.

I saw Celtic/Roma at the Rogers center and they had that cunt Totti in the starting lineup, actually that game wasn't bad in terms of starting players. I'd say nearly half the lineups were regulars.

On the plus side, the last time Fergie didn't bring his big names, he got shit on and brought them half way through the tour. I wouldn't be surprised to see any new signings, along with the players who didn't go to the WC.

MrHawk
04-01-2010, 08:09 AM
I saw Celtic/Roma at the Rogers center and they had that cunt Totti in the starting lineup, actually that game wasn't bad in terms of starting players. I'd say nearly half the lineups were regulars.

On the plus side, the last time Fergie didn't bring his big names, he got shit on and brought them half way through the tour. I wouldn't be surprised to see any new signings, along with the players who didn't go to the WC.

Celtic/Roma..........was that not the Champions World Series?

That if I'm not mistake was a sanctioned event where stars had to show up.

Shaughno
04-01-2010, 08:10 AM

I want to hit up Philly, funds won't allow me to do so this year anyway. So for me, easy. United. Fuck, even if I did have the funds, I'd probably just catch any United game I could that was anywhere near here (NY, etc.)

Shaughno
04-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Celtic/Roma..........was that not the Champions World Series?

That if I'm not mistake was a sanctioned event where stars had to show up.

You could very well be right actually.

drewski
04-01-2010, 08:37 AM
last year's World Football Challenge that was organized by CAA had the big names so I'm holdin out hope for a few non-WC'ers getting a few minutes

boban
04-01-2010, 08:38 AM

That's not true.
RM came and their stars played last year.
Also, what stars did Dinamo have at that time??
I can only think of Prso on Rangers, but then he was suffering from injury anyway.

boban
04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
So a question for you (just out of curiosity)

Say Crvena Zvezda came to Toronto (And they haven't been around here in a LONG time) to play let's say...............Olympiakos or Spartak Moskva etc and it was on a day TFC was playing on an away trip..........what would you do? I fully imagine your response would be "See TFC", but just be honest :)
But he's a Bosanac. Kaj ga briga sa Zvezda??

brad
04-01-2010, 08:45 AM
last year's World Football Challenge that was organized by CAA had the big names so I'm holdin out hope for a few non-WC'ers getting a few minutes

All the non-WC players, and the ones that exit early will come.

With the exception of that one game a few years back, Fergie always takes the first team along, and plays a mix of the first team players, and prospects.

This isn't just a showboat PR tour, it's their pre-season.

I have a feeling that they will be pretty up front about who will and won't be coming, as far as big names come.

drewski
04-01-2010, 08:48 AM
All the non-WC players, and the ones that exit early will come.

With the exception of that one game a few years back, Fergie always takes the first team along, and plays a mix of the first team players, and prospects.

This isn't just a showboat PR tour, it's their pre-season.

I have a feeling that they will be pretty up front about who will and won't be coming, as far as big names come.

yup so there's a chance, Park & Vidic migth show. hell, if England face Germany in the Round of 16 at the end of June, there's a chance Rooney, Rio, et al might be there

MrHawk
04-01-2010, 08:49 AM
That's not true.
RM came and their stars played last year.
Also, what stars did Dinamo have at that time??
I can only think of Prso on Rangers, but then he was suffering from injury anyway.

Yes that was part of the contract for RM to come here (Also the grass, the north end etc) entirely different story.

I was just simply stating that they usually don't come (Hence seldomly). ESP with the World Cup this year. You'll get the b-team and maybe one or 2 stars.

But he's a Bosanac. Kaj ga briga sa Zvezda??

All his posts, lead me to believe he's a Zvezda fan..........if not then replace Zvezda with (Insert his team other than TFC)

brad
04-01-2010, 09:03 AM
yup so there's a chance, Park & Vidic migth show. hell, if England face Germany in the Round of 16 at the end of June, there's a chance Rooney, Rio, et al might be there

My take - if all people care about is seeing Rooney, they will probably be disappointed.

But the simple fact is United minus the players in the World Cup is still a quality side.

drewski
04-01-2010, 09:06 AM
My take - if all people care about is seeing Rooney, they will probably be disappointed.

But the simple fact is United minus the players in the World Cup is still a quality side.

can't speak for anybody else, i'm happy to see united, period. rooney is just the icing on the cake :D

brad
04-01-2010, 09:09 AM
can't speak for anybody else, i'm happy to see united, period. rooney is just the icing on the cake :D

I'll be there even if it is the kids.

flatpicker
04-01-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm disappointed that this will be the weekend of the Philly game.
It will really cut down on the amount of traveling support for Toronto.
I'm hoping to make it to Philly.... I have no particular love for either Celtic or MU.

Also, I doubt the ticket for the Celtic/MU game would be very cheap.
You could probably go to Philly for just a few bucks more!

brad
04-01-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm hoping to make it to Philly.... I have no particular love for either Celtic or MU.

What kind of number are we expecting for available tickets in Philly? Last I heard, Philly were doing a reciprocal thing based on the number of tickets available to their traveling supporters. If that's true, we'd only be looking at 200 or so tickets available to all TFC fans.

MrHawk
04-01-2010, 09:31 AM

The thing is, the main ones who would be going from here would be:

1) Manchester United fans
2) Celtic Fans

Throw in the odd person here and here, so you're looking at what? 50 people at most?

Not too mention, reading what I've read about Chester, PA............it does not appear to be the safest place to travel.

tfcleeds
04-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Well, depending on how well the Union does attendance-wise in their first season, there may not be that many tickets allocated to visiting supporters in the first place. Hard to tell at this point. We will be one of the first teams to play them at their new stadium, with the novelty factor and all, it may be close to being sold out during those early games. Having said that, I plan on going to Philly.

flatpicker
04-01-2010, 09:33 AM
^ yeah, I've heard the number of available tickets would be low, so maybe it won't make a difference anyway.

But I hope I can go... I have never been to Philly... it's the most historic city in the USA.
And I want to see their new stadium.

Did you know that Philly was once the second largest city in the British Empire?
Neat-o!

Pookie
04-01-2010, 09:42 AM

I don't think the game itself will impact traveling support. I think that the 8-9 hour drive from Toronto is the bigger factor.

We've done well to get 300 folks out to NE considering the travel time and there is no game to compete against.

Folks who were planning to go to Philadelphia, by and large, are committed. They wouldn't let an exhibition game stand in their way. Those who go to the exhibition game probably weren't going to make the driving/hotel weekend commitment anyways.

Davenport
04-01-2010, 10:22 AM
unless things fall through, it is Celtic

So it'll be a Premier League team reserve squad against an even worse Irish team, in a friendly.
Anyone who pays money for that is mad.

Shaughno
04-01-2010, 10:28 AM
So it'll be a Premier League team reserve squad against an even worse Irish team, in a friendly.

Would you pay to see Chelsea's reserves play? They're still MILES above what we see at BMO on a regular basis.

Davenport
04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Would you pay to see Chelsea's reserves play? They're still MILES above what we see at BMO on a regular basis.
I'd never pay any money to watch a meaningless kick-about.
Never did in England...never will here.

Shaughno
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I'd never pay any money to watch a meaningless kick-about.
Never did in England...never will here.

Fair enough. Personally for me, it's a chance to see my team (reserves/kids doesn't matter) in my own Country. I've been to Old Trafford, but I'll always consider a chance to see United play. Friendly, meaningless, doesn't matter.

Ladies Love Julius James
04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
No disrespect to those that support TFC and this will be a biased opinion but Philly is a big piece of shit shitty.

On the flip side this is not a biased opinion but Chester, PA (where the Union play) is even a bigger piece of shit place.

http://chesterpa.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

If United tickets are more than $75 I'm taking my chances and grabbing a scalper.

jaahuuu
04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I've only seen a handful of teams outside of MLS. If the game isn't rediculously priced and it's on the 16th I'll be there. As far as not seeing first team players, I went to my first MLB game 20 years ago. It was the Indians and the Yankees, off the top of my head I can't remember a single player from either team.

I've got other plans on the 17th, which is also why I can't go to Philly.

v00d00daddy
04-01-2010, 02:48 PM
not that I care...but how is this still in the TFCMLS News thread?

Davenport
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I went to my first MLB game 20 years ago. It was the Indians and the Yankees, off the top of my head I can't remember a single player from either team.

Enough said.....

Shaughno
04-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I went to my first MLB game 20 years ago. It was the Indians and the Yankees, off the top of my head I can't remember a single player from either team.

Enough said.....

Not sure your point? That in 20 years we won't remember who played?

I bet 10 years from now I can still tell you half the roster that played in the United reserves match that I went to see.

cmonyoureds
04-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't think the game itself will impact traveling support. I think that the 8-9 hour drive from Toronto is the bigger factor.

We've done well to get 300 folks out to NE considering the travel time and there is no game to compete against.

Folks who were planning to go to Philadelphia, by and large, are committed. They wouldn't let an exhibition game stand in their way. Those who go to the exhibition game probably weren't going to make the driving/hotel weekend commitment anyways.

i've been away several times, going to Boston and was committed to going to Philly. This exhibition game will most certainly change my travel plans should it happen. Along with the 3 others I travel with.
The people who travel are quite likely the ones committed enough to have an interest is paying to see quality football in Toronto.

tfc2008
04-02-2010, 01:10 PM
They dont play TFC

There has yet to be an official announcement, but supporters of both Manchester United and Scottish giant Celtic are gearing up for a friendly between the two teams at Rogers Centre on either July 16 or 17.
And even though United likely will be forced to leave many of its stars at home — including Wayne Rooney, the Premiership’s best striker at the moment — the head of Canada’s official Man U. supporters’ group says it won’t matter.
The date of the rumoured Celtic-Man U. game is just a week after the World Cup. So, there is a good chance that players who went to South Africa wouldn’t be recalled to the club right away, especially, if the EPL title chase goes down to the wire as expected and United also ends up playing in the Champions League final. That would mean a lot of star players won’t have any kind of off-season until after the World Cup.
Rooney will star for England, as will centre-back Rio Ferdinand. Ji-Sung Park will play every minute of every game for his native South Korea. And Nemanja Vidic will be the rock of the Serbian defence. Serbia is a real darkhorse in this tournament, after fashioning one of the best campaigns in qualifying, so don’t expect the Serbs to go home early.
As well, Celtic striker Georgios Samaras is a key part of Greece’s World Cup plans.
There should not be an issue with the new turf at Rogers Centre. In previous North American tours Manchester United has not objected to playing on FieldTurf, as it played on fake grass at Giants Stadium and at Qwest Field in Seattle. The CFL’s Argos play host to Calgary July 14, so there would be no time to change the surface.
But, a game without the World Cup stars is still worth the ticket price, said Michael Singer, the chairman of the Manchester United Supporters Club of Canada.
“We know there are players going to be rested, but lots of good players will play. I am sure it will be packed. If we get 2,000 tickets (as a club), I am sure we’ll sell all of them.”
While so many United stars would likely miss a date a week after the World Cup wraps, veteran stars like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes would likely be available, as will Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov. United would also likely make some summer signings before a North American tour.
But the recent history of friendlies in Toronto has been mixed. Real Madrid’s win over Toronto FC last season was massive because the Merengues guaranteed they would give the superstars significant playing time, so Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka would be on hand to entertain the fans.
But that same season also saw the Reds host a lamentable game against Argentina’s River Plate, where the Buenos Aires club started a bunch of reserve players and teenagers, slapping their hosts and supporters in the face. The only thing memorable about that match were the fans of River rivals Boca Juniors who tried to place a team banner in the south stand of BMO Field.
Last year, the CNE promoted a match between Benfica and Celtic, even though their European seasons had already started and World Cup qualifiers were happening at the same time. Yes, Celtic fans flocked to the game and partied as if they were watching the team’s legendary 1967 European Cup winners, but the club brought just one regular over for the trip.
In its first season, TFC hosted a Benfica team that had just finished its season the week before. And, other than a victory lap for Portuguese legend Rui Costa, the game was played at a walking pace.
Too many teams are simply taking the money hoping their names are enough to sell these exhibitions.
Other than the Madrid game, Toronto has had success when clubs that are using the tours for their training camps — with jobs on the line — come to town. The 2008 MLS all-star game against West Ham was a great spectacle, as was a 2007 friendly against Aston Villa. Those clubs had players who had something to prove on the field.
United won’t have anything to prove so soon after a World Cup. Neither will Celtic. If the game happens, it will be a heck of a party — but don’t expect it to have the star power of Madrid’s 2009 visit.

MUFC_Niagara
04-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Owen, Berbatov, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Evans, Valencia, Van der Sar, etc.

Man, what shit players United are bringing. :rolleyes:

Carts
04-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Anytime a worldwide power comes to North America its good for the game...

And, its good for the team involved also... I'm not saying its a one-way street...

ManU is one of the world's most popular teams. Giving their fans in Toronto a chance to see them play is good for them, and good for the game here... Celtic is very popular throughout the world, giving their fans a chance to see them play against a world power like ManU is a great thing as well (both here and abroad)...

I wish that ManU was playing TFC - because seeing a world class club play our squad only increases our standing in the world, and from a selfish level I'd love to watch them in person (like Real Madrid last year)...

I know I'm in the minority in that standing, but thats my feeling. Any time a storied franchise can come over here to play on our soil, I see as an honour. From Real Madrid, to ManU, to Liverpool, to Barcelona, to any world power - I never thought I'd see the day those teams would show up to play "Toronto"...

Carts...

Macksam
04-02-2010, 08:57 PM
i don't care if he's playin or even there, gotta get some white pele going to.
Whoa, hold on there. Zico might be playing?

Macksam
04-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I may not go to Philly, but I'll definately watch TFC on TV over United at the Skydome.

Do TFC fans fail that much?

MUFC_Niagara
04-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Anytime a worldwide power comes to North America its good for the game...

And, its good for the team involved also... I'm not saying its a one-way street...

ManU is one of the world's most popular teams. Giving their fans in Toronto a chance to see them play is good for them, and good for the game here... Celtic is very popular throughout the world, giving their fans a chance to see them play against a world power like ManU is a great thing as well (both here and abroad)...

I wish that ManU was playing TFC - because seeing a world class club play our squad only increases our standing in the world, and from a selfish level I'd love to watch them in person (like Real Madrid last year)...

I know I'm in the minority in that standing, but thats my feeling. Any time a storied franchise can come over here to play on our soil, I see as an honour. From Real Madrid, to ManU, to Liverpool, to Barcelona, to any world power - I never thought I'd see the day those teams would show up to play "Toronto"...

Carts...

Well said, Carts.

MUFC_Niagara
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
As for United > TFC. Sorry guys, but United will always be no.1 for me. The chance to see United in my own backyard over a team I can see anytime is a no brainer imo. I've missed TFC games to watch United on the TV when it's big a match that is important in the title race.

Brooker
04-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I don't see why people would get mad if somebody put Manchester United above their love for Toronto FC.

Personally, I'm all for it. If it means less Manchester United fans at BMO Field, I think that's a step in the right direction. Arsenal and Chelsea fans the same goes for you aswell. Feel free!

jk!

Speaking of the right direction: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9370

Torontotonto
04-03-2010, 01:02 AM
RedNation,

I think you had too many beers, what the hell, have a few more and keep dreaming.

im sure the game will be apart of our SEASON TICKETS!!!.CARLSBERG CUP TICKET!!

:drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking: :drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking: :drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking::drinking:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-03-2010, 03:22 AM
RedNation,

I think you had too many beers, what the hell, have a few more and keep dreaming.

Do you really think...I ment what i was saying...... lol

Cant wait......UNITED in TORONTO!!

Macksam
04-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't see why people would get mad if somebody put Manchester United above their love for Toronto FC.

Personally, I'm all for it. If it means less Manchester United fans at BMO Field, I think that's a step in the right direction. Arsenal and Chelsea fans the same goes for you aswell. Feel free!

jk!

Speaking of the right direction: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9370
I'll drink to that.:drinking:

As for today's match:

United failed...:facepalm:
HZYfi_Ex_gM

Torontotonto
04-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Of course not, just joking around...

:scarf::flare::drum::flare::scarf:

Do you really think...I ment what i was saying...... lol

Cant wait......UNITED in TORONTO!!

Super Cereal
04-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Hey guys, question.

I'm a big TFC fan, but I live near Ottawa and I've never been to a TFC game. Me and my good friend (who is a DC United fan, but he follows TFC) are planning on going to Toronto this summer to see either a Jays game or a Toronto FC game (or both!). Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get tickets for a Toronto FC game. Would getting tickets to the Man U-Cletic friendly be easier? And, more importantly, would it be a good alternative soccer/fan wise?

In a perfect world, we'd get tickets to the TFC-Rapids game July 10th, and the Jays game July 9th, but it's difficult to get TFC tickets. Any suggestions/opinions? Thanks.

drewski
04-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Hey guys, question.

I'm a big TFC fan, but I live near Ottawa and I've never been to a TFC game. Me and my good friend (who is a DC United fan, but he follows TFC) are planning on going to Toronto this summer to see either a Jays game or a Toronto FC game (or both!). Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get tickets for a Toronto FC game. Would getting tickets to the Man U-Cletic friendly be easier? And, more importantly, would it be a good alternative soccer/fan wise?

In a perfect world, we'd get tickets to the TFC-Rapids game July 10th, and the Jays game July 9th, but it's difficult to get TFC tickets. Any suggestions/opinions? Thanks.

I don't know about the man-celtic game I hope its not too hard), but i've had a fair bit of luck via the ticket trader here.

another option, if you're available, to see TFC is come to Montreal on May 12 for the NCC game.

Macksam
04-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Hey guys, question.

Have you tried ticketmaster? There should still be tickets for the TFC-Rapids game.

devioustrevor
04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm a big TFC fan, but I live near Ottawa and I've never been to a TFC game.

The first, and so far only, TFC game I've ever been to was in Montreal last June. A quick check by me found out a train from Ottawa to Montreal is $65 round trip. Add a game ticket and a cheap hotel room and you could conceivably do it all for under $200.

The 2nd TFC game I will be going to is this year's game in Montreal. Ticket is ordered, train ticket bought, and the hotel reservation made. I'm travelling from London though and staying 3 nights, so my trip will probably cost me $1000 by the time I drop some money at the ballet populaire and other locales in the city that appeal to single men with some disposable cash.

kodiakTFC
04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey guys, question.

It is not that hard to get tickets. Check the ticket trader for the TFC-Rapids game come a couple days before and you'll get some. I've gotten games on game day multiple times. If you really want tickets earlier, msg me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Derko
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Aren't Celtic from Glasgow, that would be Scotland!!

Azerban
04-03-2010, 10:42 PM

doesn't really matter, any stories of football being played outside of england in the united kingdom are mostly legends and myth

MUFC_Niagara
04-03-2010, 11:46 PM

LMAO.....that Ryan Giggs is one hell of a reserve team player....he's won 11 league titles! As is that Van der Sar. Oh, Scholes is ok too.

Super Cereal
04-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks a lot for the help guys, it's much appreciated.

Unfortunately, May is out of the question with school and work, so I'll likely pay close attention to the ticket trader forum.

Cheers.

drewski
04-04-2010, 10:51 AM

there's an old saying form my part of the world...same shit, different pile :p

Bars92
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Great, my two most hated teams are playing here.