PDA

View Full Version : Switch up the backline tout suite?

jloome
03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
....other than just Garcia. Harden's ball skills were seriously overtaxed and you have to feel Nana is being a bit wasted. Should we see a diff't backline in two weeks?

I'd have to say the suggestion Preki seemed to be making the day prior to the game, that a "system" would minimize shortcomings, may well be be true. But I also kind of wonder if Garcia's shortcomings are age related and therefore going to creep up more oftenm not less

Personally, despite being out of position once during preseason, I'd like to see Gargan move into right back and have Nana take over from Garcia.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Know_Your_Limitations_mar_29_10_column.shtml

THere were a few people impressed by O'Brien White, but I'm not exactly sure how whistling a shot wide, then going short side to your strong foot and hitting the side netting, qualifies as impressive.

Davenport
03-29-2010, 11:06 AM
The only player at the back I would keep is Attakora.
He's not a sweeper though.
Gargan has got to improve a lot if he's going to make an impression.
The other 3 are not good enough, neither is White.

sashavukelich
03-29-2010, 03:29 PM
I wonder if it'd be wise to swap Attakora and Garcia. Although i'm not a Garcia fan, he can certainly screw 'less up' from the Wings than from the center i imagine. Obviously he'd not be a overlapping fullback, that'd be hilarious

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2010, 03:35 PM
id like to see the same suggested back line given a go, just makes sense especially as we've signed gargan who excels in the rb/rw position.

Also Davenport i think its far too soon for that to be said about OBW remember hes inexperienced, was injured a majority of last season, give it time

Shaughno
03-29-2010, 03:36 PM
I still think once Gargan is up to speed with the club you'll see Nana return to CB.

Yohan
03-29-2010, 03:38 PM
I still think once Gargan is up to speed with the club you'll see Nana return to CB.
Well, he's got 2 weeks

honestly. one more game with Garcia at CB and i'm going to flip my lid.

Shaughno
03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
LOL let's hope nobody gets injured in training LOL :rofl: This board may just implode...

Beach_Red
03-29-2010, 04:16 PM
....other than just Garcia. Harden's ball skills were seriously overtaxed and you have to feel Nana is being a bit wasted. Should we see a diff't backline in two weeks?

I'd have to say the suggestion Preki seemed to be making the day prior to the game, that a "system" would minimize shortcomings, may well be be true. But I also kind of wonder if Garcia's shortcomings are age related and therefore going to creep up more oftenm not less

It sure looks like the problems are age related - he's not going to get any faster in the next week is he?

But, yeah, a lot of the other problems do seem like they're things that can be worked on. Everyone here wanted a stable line-up in place weeks ago for a reason. That "system" will take a little while to implement. Hell, they played a guy who got off a plane a couple hours before the game started.

Also, one of the snnouncers, I forget which one, made the point that Columbus is about the toughest level of attack we're likely to see this season. Not sure if that's true, but it is likely that NE won't be as dangerous. So, with a little more time to work on the "system" and a weaker team, it could make for a better result.

alex andrew
03-29-2010, 04:52 PM
wanted to say after the game,

the first goal was preki's !!!

there is a golden rule in football, never ever ever allow your number 9 in the box.

all the stupid fouls that translate into penalty kicks, all the headers etc are because people that have no idea how to defend are in the box.

i've seen tons, litterally tons of unhappy endings to a game, because forwards came to 'help' the defence.

it is wrong, number 9 should always stay in the midfield circle, and the other forwards somewhere around 30 yards or so, not closer.

they cannot defend !

what did obw do in the box ? how did the cbs let him be there ? why did preki ?

and to add insult to injury, the announcers kept saying aaaah, obw go chase your guy, ooohh...obw shoulda coulda musta !

why ?

so why talk about garcia and nana when the mistake was somewhere else ?

( ok, both garcia and nana should have known better, if not told otherwise , which is scary )

ballerz
03-29-2010, 05:34 PM
I wonder if it'd be wise to swap Attakora and Garcia. Although i'm not a Garcia fan, he can certainly screw 'less up' from the Wings than from the center i imagine. Obviously he'd not be a overlapping fullback, that'd be hilarious

You can't play RB without speed. Brennan gets burned regularly by faster wingers, what do you think will happen to the pylon? The USL is where he can screw up less.

alex andrew
03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
no matter how funny it sounds, garcia knows more football than any defenceman past or present ( tfc ).

unfortunately, his bones and muscles and height and fellow defenders !!!are letting him down.

deeznutz
03-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Well, he's got 2 weeks

honestly. one more HALF with Garcia at CB and i'm going to flip my lid.

fixed! ;)

T_Mizz
03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
What's the latest wth Gomez? I don't even know how severe the injury is

akoto
03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
no matter how funny it sounds, garcia knows more football than any defenceman past or present ( tfc ).

unfortunately, his bones and muscles and height and fellow defenders !!!are letting him down.

So what you are saying is he's a smart guy, but physically handicapped? New name for Garcia... Stephen Hawkings.

Blizzard
03-29-2010, 09:38 PM

I totally agree on both counts.

Gazza
03-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Is Sol Campbell available? Does anyone have his number?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2010, 10:07 PM
arguably playing for arsenal

Gazza
03-29-2010, 10:13 PM
arsenal has a soccer team?

we should get Jason De Vos drunk and talk him into to signing a contract.

he's probably fat and slow, but he'd be ten times the defender Garcia is...and might actually win a few balls in the air.