PDA

View Full Version : why i miss carver

__wowza
03-28-2010, 02:25 PM
im just watching the preki press conference right now.. does anyone hear what this man is saying?

"i think we should've got a penalty shot for the hand ball, second goal should've been called foul.. but we didn't get it, that's the way it goes".

our tying goal, and their second goal = that's the way it goes

i understand that if a ref doesn't call it then it's not a foul, and by NO MEANS am i suggesting that the officiating was the reason we lost yesterday.. but come on! a columbus player gets called on a foul and boots the ball off of the field. one goes down and then clings the ball to his chest when it's our free kick.

i'd LOVE to see some passion from preki about this.
something more than "that's the way it goes".

fucking ridiculous.

azzuri4stars
03-28-2010, 02:40 PM
im just watching the preki press conference right now.. does anyone hear what this man is saying?

"i think we should've got a penalty shot for the hand ball, second goal should've been called foul.. but we didn't get it, that's the way it goes".

i understand that if a ref doesn't call it then it's not a foul, and by NO MEANS am i suggesting that the officiating was the reason we lost yesterday.. but come on! a columbus player gets called on a foul and boots the ball off of the field. one goes down and then clings the ball to his chest when it's our free kick.

fucking ridiculous.

I don't care if Carver was the last and only coach left on this planet, I STILL WOULDN"T WANT HIM AS COACH.

He was a loser who always blamed and ridiculed his palyers in the media. He should have been looking at himself in the mirror for all the poor decisons he made. Now we have one loser left to get rid of and that is Mo.

Preki may not yell like Carver did but he is without a doubt a 100 time s better caoch than Carver. But then again that isn't saying much given that you can't get worse than Carver.

Dirk Diggler
03-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Is this thread a joke? You are complaining because our new coach is not a moaner like Carver? You have to be fucking with us.

dantdot
03-28-2010, 02:46 PM
There's politics involved, it's better to keep your mouth shut when it comes to refs.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I wish we had a coach that whined and made excuses for the outcomes of our games, so the players never had to take responsibility.

Preki is right that we got hosed by the refs, but he's also right when he says THAT'S THE WAY IT GOES sometimes.

- Scott

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
He didn't seem any to cheesed off about losing. Nor did the team as a whole. Super early yet, but I don't think it's an encouraging sign. I still think TFC is a few changes away on the player personnel and management level from being a serious team this year.

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I've never liked emotional coaches. Maybe because I grew up in Montreal watching Scotty Bowman easily outcoach Don Cherry in every playoff series for years.

Or maybe because I remember calm, collected Cito Gaston outmanaging Bobby Cox in the World Series.

It's just a stylistic choice, I guess, but these aren't high school players or college, they're pros. They shouldn't need to be fired up, they should need a proper scouting of the opposition and an effective game plan to implement.

When they lose they should analyse why and use that to help them in the next game.

ilikemusic
03-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Preki is ten times the coach Carver ever was. Carver behaved like a child. He was downright amateur in his approach to the game.

MrHawk
03-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I wish we had a coach that whined and made excuses for the outcomes of our games, so the players never had to take responsibility.

Preki is right that we got hosed by the refs, but he's also right when he says THAT'S THE WAY IT GOES sometimes.

- Scott

That's the 100% truth.............if you are basing your loss on the ref, then you probably didn't deserve to win in the first place.

__wowza
03-28-2010, 05:31 PM
oh don't get me wrong, preki is 100 times the coach carver was. people often mistake emotion with passion, but i think we can all agree that the ref situation in the MLS is a joke. everyone's admitted that. to say something like "that's the way it goes" speaks less than cummins' "did the ref call it? then it's not a foul".

it was his wording and overall attitude that made it seem like calls such as this were permissable. as much as carver bitched and whined, he made himself very clear of how dire the officiating in this league is.

Whoop
03-28-2010, 05:34 PM
The refs are a joke in every league in every sport... according to the fans of every league of every sport. Name me one league or one sport where NO ONE complains about officiating.

If you resort to blaming the refs for your problems... like everyone else said... you've got bigger issues.

ensco
03-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I miss those Carver press conferences too. They were unbelievable.

Who could ever forget the endless tirades against the refs, or him saying he would go back to England if Schellotto didn't stop diving, or him calling out the poor guy who'd been loaned to us by the Whitecaps as the reason we lost the game (this was the Ricky Titus game in 2008 when we were down to something like 6 regulars)...

Redpunkfiddle
03-28-2010, 06:06 PM
I am disappointed in this thread subject for two reasons. One, because as many have said ranting against the refs is useless and will probably bite you in the ass.

Secondly, it gave this guy another chance to return to what must have been his golden age of bitching, the early 2009 season:

I don't care if Carver was the last and only coach left on this planet, I STILL WOULDN"T WANT HIM AS COACH.

He was a loser who always blamed and ridiculed his palyers in the media. He should have been looking at himself in the mirror for all the poor decisons he made. Now we have one loser left to get rid of and that is Mo.

Preki may not yell like Carver did but he is without a doubt a 100 time s better caoch than Carver. But then again that isn't saying much given that you can't get worse than Carver.

MUFC_Niagara
03-28-2010, 06:15 PM
The refs are a joke in every league in every sport... according to the fans of every league of every sport. Name me one league or one sport where NO ONE complains about officiating.

If you resort to blaming the refs for your problems... like everyone else said... you've got bigger issues.

Yes and No, Whoopee. The overall standard is better in other leagues and I think thats the issue. The MLS refs make gross errors all the time. That said, if you leave yourself in a position where the ref can decide the game with one call (like we do), then you are asking for trouble.

Pachuco
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I freeking hate these "what if's" people constantly put up as excuses. WHAT IF COLUMBUS SCORED ANY OF THEIR OTHER BREAKAWAYS????? Then it would've finished 3-0. What if's in this sport make absolutely no sense. This game was as close to being a blowout as it was to being 1-1. So why bother? we lost 2-0 cause we didn't deserve to win. Simple as that.

Raging Reggie
03-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Bottom line is Carver comes from a place where football/soccer is king and shit that goes on in the MLS wouldnt go over where he came so no wonder he was so vocal about stuff. Its why he was so vocal. Preki been here a while, he knows the game and how fucked up and garbage the refs are so what is he going to say? There was a super obvious hand ball in the crew box from a TFC player and the ref didnt call fuck all and let it go on. Refs in this league are a joke. If preki went the carver route he would be ostracized and have packed his bags carver style

torontocelt
03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I will never forget the players during the Carver/ Cummins era playing long ball against the powerful, swirling winds at BMO. Those are days I would hate to see continue this season. For that reason I cannot miss Carver or Cummins.

Chevy
03-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
Vince Lombardi (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/vincelomba151245.html)

In my books, Carver will never be missed.

druid
03-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Being passionate about it didn't really work out all that well for Carver, if memory serves.

TFCRegina
03-28-2010, 09:33 PM

fucking ridiculous.

And whining would have done what?

The reffing is shite. Complaining will get him fines, and do nothing for the club. Complaining will not put the ball in the net, or take back the 2nd goal.

fetajr
03-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Carver is ass

sashavukelich
03-29-2010, 03:36 PM
augh. Carver? No thanks. He was fined repeatedly for inappropriately criticizing the referee's and he gave the team an image of moaners and 'hard men', i think it's for this reason we get fewer calls in our favour than other teams.

This has to be undone pronto, so that the guys are more objectively called.

Shaughno
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
I much prefer the Preki mentality to Carver's.

The thing that gets me with Preki, is that he's not caught up about why we sucked so bad... like Carver was. He got caught up in emotion too often.

Preki's right. Shit happens. That's the way she goes boys. Difference being, Preki realizes there's no point focusing on aspects you can't change.

Shakes McQueen
03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
On a related note - can we stop with the rose tinted glasses every time we ship a dud out of town?

Carver wasn't a great coach. Tyrone Marshall, Marco Velez, and Marvell Wynne weren't good defenders. Gerba didn't do the job.

It seems every time the club finally cuts ties with one of it's many boat anchors, several people come out of the woodwork to express their incredulity that we would send away such a "great/misunderstood/poorly utilized" player. And within six months, people are looking back fondly on what a "great job" they did.

The lamenting of the Wynne trade is the latest knee slapper. People coming together to celebrate how fast he ran, and forgetting all about how that was all he could do.

- Scott

TFCRegina
03-29-2010, 06:52 PM
On a related note - can we stop with the rose tinted glasses every time we ship a dud out of town?

Carver wasn't a great coach. Tyrone Marshall, Marco Velez, and Marvell Wynne weren't good defenders. Gerba didn't do the job.

It seems every time the club finally cuts ties with one of it's many boat anchors, several people come out of the woodwork to express their incredulity that we would send away such a "great/misunderstood/poorly utilized" player. And within six months, people are looking back fondly on what a "great job" they did.

The lamenting of the Wynne trade is the latest knee slapper. People coming together to celebrate how fast he ran, and forgetting all about how that was all he could do.

- Scott

The bullshitfighters have responded to the bullshit alarm...down the bullshitpole my friends!

Absolutely 100% correct. Wynne was fucking SHITE...being able to run really fast does not make a good soccer payer. I don't care if you're Usain Bolt, if you lack the knowledge of when to go forward and when to stay back, and can't cross worth shit, have poor first touch...etc, you shouldn't stay on the team.

ensco
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM

Is it OK to say that we may seriously be missing Guevara's flair out there?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Is it OK to say that we may seriously be missing Guevara's flair out there?

meh, he definitely brought something to the table and was one of my favorite players but i dont know that we are seriously missing him.

T_Mizz
03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
http://images.sympatico.ca/images/Feeds/Photogallery/photo_gallery_trailerpark_cast/ray.jpg
Preki: That's the fuckin way she goes.

Gazza
03-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Carver constantly lied to the guy in the chair...he lied to the guy in the chair...