PDA

View Full Version : Mo Johnson Career Coach / Management Record

Batman
03-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Rather than look at individual player moves or single games, I thought I'd quickly review Mo Johnsons total body of work as an MLS Head coach or Director of Soccer. Essentially, what have been the actual results of his teams, based upon his decisions leading NYRB and TFC. I won't worry about friendlies or pre-season matches, just regular season and playoffs.

The following is Mo Johnson's CAREER record in managing MLS teams

NY

2005 3 W 1 L 1 D ...promoted to head coach late in season.. made the playoffs. Lost in first round.
2006 2 W 3 L 7 D ...then fired. Team, did not make playoffs. (although he was only in charge for first 1/3 of season)

TFC

2007 6 W 17 L 7 D
2008 9 W 13 L 8 D
2009 10 W 11 L 9 D

0 playoff appearances.

2010 0 W 1 L 0 D

Playoff appearance TBD

Totals

30 W 46 L 32 D
1 playoff appearance, Loss

His teams have collectively won 30 out of 108 matches in the regular season. Just a fraction over 1 win every 4 matches.

His teams have collectively made the playoffs 1 time in the 5 years he's had an opportunity so far. They lost in the first round.

This is the man, MSLE chooses to lead us to the promised land.

Do you think he will?

Is a 5 year losing streak just on the verge of changing?

Out of curiousity, would your company be this patient if a CEO or VP of Sales performed at this level?

Cashcleaner
03-28-2010, 10:42 AM
5 Year Plan!!!

At least that's the excuse I seem to hear the most. The guy overstayed his welcome last year as far as I'm concerned, but as I've mentioned before, it seems TFC is keeping him on because they really can't think of anyone else to put in charge.

And that depressed the fuck outta me.

koryo
03-28-2010, 11:18 AM
If MLSE is so short-sighted that they don't think Johnston should be removed, then frankly I think their competence as owners should be put in serious doubt.

It's in their best business interests to put a good team on the pitch.

CretanBull
03-28-2010, 11:30 AM
If MLSE is so short-sighted that they don't think Johnston should be removed, then frankly I think their competence as owners should be put in serious doubt.

Logic would dictate that, but how much more money could they make over what they are making now? Every game is a sell out, merchandise sells really well, $14 beers sell etc. The only thing that they could gain from winning is play-off home games, but that's going to cost money to get there (whether its in player salaries, a second DP, investment in scouting etc.) and none of that guarantees a play-offs spot.

So, status quo they make a shit load of money. They suppliment the lack of play-off income by raising ticket prices and selling a white kit.

OR

They spend money to improve the team and hope that there's a return on their investment in the form of home play-off games.

Right now, its a risk that they don't have to take.

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Now this occurs to you?!?! Now!?!?! ;)

What's really in their best interest is keeping he discussion away form winning championships and on the daily soap opera - perfected over years and years with the Leafs, developed a little further with the Raptors (sometimes a great sopa opera) and now we're playing into it as well.

But look at it from MLSE's point of view - they got a soccer team on the cheap, offered a crappy, short-term contract to a GM-Coach, very little support staff and they probably set some "performance goals" the way any corporate structure would. Those performance goals would not have included something like an MLS Cup (any more than Burke's contract requites a Stanley Cup), but more incremental progress - more points than the previous season, more wins, selling a player for a few million bucks, and so on.

As far as MLSE is concerned, this team hit all the points on the performance review so extensions were given incrementally. This place is being run like any giant, bureauocratic, faceless corporation.

And we're playing our part, blaming individuals but not the system at all.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
The lack of success in year three is what did it for me. He had so much cap space, and was able to bring in so many players, yet still couldn't get a guy who could reliably score goals, or a central defender who could reliably defend.

Years one and two I was fine with - the team got better in year two, and the record reflected that. Year three is when we stagnated, despite completely ideal circumstances.

I think likening his performance in contrast to a CEO or VP of Sales, though, is flawed reasoning, because it presupposes that managing a sports franchise to success is an exact science. Particularly in a salary capped league, this is not the case. I understand the point you are trying to make, however - three years of failure should be enough to get anyone fired. And I couldn't agree more.

I'm actually optimistic that he will be fired this season, unless the team - against all odds - comes together and pulls out a better record than last year. Right now this seems unlikely.

If this team steps backward, as many are expecting, I fully expect Mo to be canned - it's just a matter of whether it happens mid-season, or if MLSE let him "play out the string" and can him at the end. Last season MLSE and Mo could at least point to us almost making the post-season, and a small increase in wins, as some mark of "success" - though most of us didn't see it that way. :D

I think MLSE are sensitive to the fact that wallowing in mediocrity can be toxic to a fledgling fanbase, and I'm sure they are also sensitive to the good thing they have right now, compared to other MLS markets. They don't want to throw that away, by instilling fanbase apathy a mere four years into the project.

I think the hiring of Colangelo and Burke signalled some hard lessons learned for MLSE, about what can happen to your bottom line when your fans stop caring. I think if we don't look post-season bound, Mo is gone.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
03-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I think MLSE are sensitive to the fact that wallowing in mediocrity can be toxic to a fledgling fanbase, and I'm sure they are also sensitive to the good thing they have right now, compared to other MLS markets. They don't want to throw that away, by instilling fanbase apathy a mere four years into the project.
- Scott

I'm not sure if MLSE does acknowledge that fact, but it in itself is so true. Myself and many others have always maintained from Day 1 that TFC needs to come out of the gates at full stride if this team is to succeed in Toronto. Obviously, its apparent that with constantly sold-out crowds and the second-highest merchandise sales in the league that people here do want to support the team, but the real question is whether or not all that will continue if the team is still struggling mid-way through this season and next.

Now, to be fair, MLSE has shown that they are committed to the club in some respects. We now have the grass we've desperately needed, a seating expansion in the North End, etc. It's just that from the point of view from a fan, a winning roster is the most important factor here.

But as I've said before, I think there is a method behind Preki's madness and I am confident that things are improving even as we sit here and discuss things.

Chevy
03-28-2010, 11:52 AM
+1. Last year was the perfect storm (in a good way). Tons of allocation dollars, Dero back in town. The club should have been rolling along nicely and adding a DP at the end of the season would have been the final piece of the puzzle.

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 11:54 AM
I think the hiring of Colangelo and Burke signalled some hard lessons learned for MLSE, about what can happen to your bottom line when your fans stop caring. I think if we don't look post-season bound, Mo is gone.

- Scott

So, who are the Colangelo and Burke of MLS they could hire? If people protested for that enough it might happen. Of course, it's a little tougher with soccer because they don't actually have to come from MLS the way Colangelo and Burke had to come from the NBA and NHL. Hey, maybe MLSE will put together a search committe, they're very good at that kind of thing....

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 11:56 AM
+1. Last year was the perfect storm (in a good way). Tons of allocation dollars, Dero back in town. The club should have been rolling along nicely and adding a DP at the end of the season would have been the final piece of the puzzle.

How big a difference would it have made last year if there had been a different coach? The decision not to bring in an experienced MLS coach last year might be the biggest mistake of all. So, they would have had to pay one more salary, big deal.

nascarguy
03-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Mlse does not know how to run winning teams.

CretanBull
03-28-2010, 11:57 AM
If we're to believe that this is Preki's team and that he's calling the shots now then we don't need to hire anyone to replace Mo. We fire him, and change Preki's job description to 'manager'.

Cashcleaner
03-28-2010, 11:58 AM
^ Can't fire Mo though, he's locked in with that contract extension.

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 12:04 PM
If we're to believe that this is Preki's team and that he's calling the shots now then we don't need to hire anyone to replace Mo. We fire him, and change Preki's job description to 'manager'.

But that would have some effect, too. Then Preki would have to deal with the suits at MLSE. It wouldn't be a completely benign change.

koryo
03-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Now this occurs to you?!?! Now!?!?! ;)

What's really in their best interest is keeping he discussion away form winning championships and on the daily soap opera - perfected over years and years with the Leafs, developed a little further with the Raptors (sometimes a great sopa opera) and now we're playing into it as well.

But look at it from MLSE's point of view - they got a soccer team on the cheap, offered a crappy, short-term contract to a GM-Coach, very little support staff and they probably set some "performance goals" the way any corporate structure would. Those performance goals would not have included something like an MLS Cup (any more than Burke's contract requites a Stanley Cup), but more incremental progress - more points than the previous season, more wins, selling a player for a few million bucks, and so on.

As far as MLSE is concerned, this team hit all the points on the performance review so extensions were given incrementally. This place is being run like any giant, bureauocratic, faceless corporation.

And we're playing our part, blaming individuals but not the system at all.

Oh, I know. Believe me, I know.

CretanBull
03-28-2010, 12:05 PM

He can still be fired, they just have to pay him what he's owed. Frankly, I think it might be better to pay him to stay at home and away from the team.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2010, 12:06 PM

He's as "locked in" as any other coach, manager, or player with a contract - which is to say, not much at all. And compared to what MLSE have paid some of the coaches and GM's they canned in the past to sit at home, my guess is Mo's contract is peanuts by comparison.

- Scott

koryo
03-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I would like Paul B. to try to justify why Johnston is still in the organization.

I'd try not to laugh.

CoachGT
03-28-2010, 12:07 PM

You can fire anyone you want if you are willing to eat the financial consequences.

Stryker
03-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Its typical MSLE. How many times have they given a new GM/coach an extension prematurely only to realize that he was garbage and they had to fire him the next season.
Ferguson Jr. springs to mind.

azzuri4stars
03-28-2010, 12:12 PM
THIS THREAD IS HILARIOUS!!!!!

So peole are finally seeing the light.
Mo should have been gone after year 1 in T.O. but people kept on backing him up.
We wasted another 2 seasons (year 2 and 3) with him leading this organization. It appears it will be more of the same this year. It's depressing but I have to laugh because I knew he wasn't qualified yet people were so blind. He must have PICTURES on the Senior Brass at MLSE becasue there is just no other way to expalin how he hasn't been fired yet.

CretanBull
03-28-2010, 12:14 PM
But that would have some effect, too. Then Preki would have to deal with the suits at MLSE. It wouldn't be a completely benign change.

I'm not supporting MLSE as owners, but there's NO chance of that changing any time soon so we're forced to settle for figuring out a way to work within their frame work. Certain things will never change, the motive will always be profit above all else etc. but someone can pursue those goals and put a better product on the pitch. I'll never be convinced that Mo Johnston has any sort of special skills that allows TFC to make money...he's been given credit for things he didn't do IMO. The team made money while he was in charge, but not as a direct result of anything that he's done.

I have no doubt that someone can do the same job of generating income while also putting a better product on the pitch. He's been given a respectable level of resources to work with, but he's completely mismanaged them. Some one else could do more with the same.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Its typical MSLE. How many times have they given a new GM/coach an extension prematurely only to realize that he was garbage and they had to fire him the next season.

It's typical of virtually any owner - these days, it actually seems exceedingly rare for coaches or general managers to just run out their contracts in any sport, unless the owner isn't wealthy enough to pay them to sit at home, or unless you're a legendary talent like Sir Alex, or Scotty Bowman.

- Scott

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 12:16 PM

Mo should have been gone after year 1 in T.O. but people kept on backing him up.
We wasted another 2 seasons (year 2 and 3) with him leading this organization. It appears it will be more of the same this year. It's depressing but I have to laugh because I knew he wasn't qualified yet people were so blind. He must have PICTURES on the Senior Brass at MLSE becasue there is just no other way to expalin how he hasn't been fired yet.

Maybe he just knows their names - it's more than we do.

I'd like to hear Paul B's explanation for why any senior management still has a job at MLSE.

Yohan
03-28-2010, 12:19 PM
I think Mo is secretly a Crew supporter. it's the only way all this makes sense

CretanBull
03-28-2010, 12:20 PM

I have no problem giving him credit for what he did in the past. Season 2 was spent collecting 1st round picks and allocation money - that's a good strategy. In season 3 he went all out, he spent everything that we had he just made bad decisions with the money and now we're paying the price for it. He tried something (good!), he failed (bad!) and now is the time to hold him accountable.

It would have been absurd to fire him after season 1 (a write-off year) or season 2 (clearly positioning himself for season 3), but in season 3 he played all his cards and lost. He should have been fired the 5 mins after the 5-0 loss to NY.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I have no problem giving him credit for what he did in the past. Season 2 was spent collecting 1st round picks and allocation money - that's a good strategy. In season 3 he went all out, he spent everything that we had he just made bad decisions with the money and now we're paying the price for it. He tried something (good!), he failed (bad!) and now is the time to hold him accountable.

It would have been absurd to fire him after season 1 (a write-off year) or season 2 (clearly positioning himself for season 3), but in season 3 he played all his cards and lost. He should have been fired the 5 mins after the 5-0 loss to NY.

I agree 100%. I thought he played year 1 and 2 reasonably well, but year three should have been the payoff, and instead he fumbled the ball badly.

- Scott

CretanBull
03-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Maybe he just knows their names - it's more than we do.

I'd like to hear Paul B's explanation for why any senior management still has a job at MLSE.

I'm not Paul B, but I'll offer a safe explanation - they generate shit loads of profit. Wins-losses don't matter, money matters, and they keep making more and more money every year.

mclaren
03-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I called for Mo to go long ago based on his TFC record and overall management record...and got shouted down. Good to see an overall agreement forming on the need to get rid of him.

ManUtd4ever
03-28-2010, 12:24 PM
At this point it has become obvious to even the casual observer of TFC that MoJo has had a shortsighted approach to his managerial duties with the franchise since day one. In an effort to expedite the competitive stature of the club, Mo has mismanaged the roster within the financial constraints of the salary cap. I also believe that some of his acquisitions were initiated by supporter demands to both the benefit and deteriment of the club. On one hand he could be lauded for his efforts to appease the loyal fanbase of this city but in reality a prudent GM would never resort to such measures in trying to build a competitive football club.

I am curious to see how MoJo's tenure will play out in this pivotal season. I believe the hiring of Preki was an astute decision that will benefit the club as the season progresses. The roster overhaul should eventually have a positive effect on TFC's ability to compete within the perameters of Preki's disciplined system. I assume that the recent player acquisitions are in fact Preki's decisions.

I suspect that as opposed to previous seasons, this club will grow stronger throughout the season and make the playoffs. If that is in fact the case, MLSE will be faced with a dilemna in trying to justify the dismissal of MoJo. Ironically, I think Preki will actually save MoJo's job by guiding TFC to overachieve this season despite the absolute mess he inherited. I would like to see Preki take over the managerial responsibilties at some point but I wouldn't bet on it if the Reds enjoy a successful season on the pitch...

koryo
03-28-2010, 12:26 PM
^^ that's not funny. Not funny in the least :D

jabbronies
03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
MLSE seem to have come into this MLS team without any real knowledge of the North American game. They brought in a guy who has a storied playing career both overseas and in NA figuring he'd be able to translate that success into a managerial career.

Problem is he's faltered numerous times and, like most corporations would do, instead getting rid of him, they've given him the chances to make things right. And the only reason I can see MLSE being so lenient with the lack of success is due to a number of what I call, excuses

Year 1 - In numerous interviews i remember Mo saying that a first year team would have the types of woes that TFC went through, but they had keys assets to building for the future (Edu, Wynne) and a strong core to build with (Dichio, Brennan, Robbo)

Year 2 - new coach, new style. Needs to rebuild. Improved from year 1 and brought in more assets to building a stronger team (Guevera, Edwards), but blamed all the international call ups is what fucked us. Sold Edu which was a key point to year two IMO. Brought in a lot of cash for the team.

Year 3 - Brought in more key assets (Cronin, Frei, White, Sangyang, Attikora, Dero, DeGuz) Blame the mid season coaching change as the problem. Too much inconsistency in coaching style.

Year 4 - new coach, new style. Needs to rebuild yet again. IMO this excuses has been used 1 too many times.
Another excuses I keep hearing is the Salary Capped league is preventing us from bring in good players, keeping players here, signing players.. blah blah blah...

There is a serious lack of inconsistency here. In the coaching styles, the players on the field and the direction. I think now that Preki is here, they should consider this a fresh start.

Mo has too much power on this team and he seems to be abusing it. He also doesn't seem to be good with numbers. This isn't a school of soccer business where people can come in here and learn how to run a footy club. They should know how to handle a salary cap and build a competitive team within that structure and Mo clearly doesn't know how to do that.

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 12:31 PM
I suspect that as opposed to previous seasons, this club will grow stronger throughout the season and make the playoffs. If that is in fact the case, MLSE will be faced with a dilemna in trying to justify the dismissal of MoJo. Ironically, I think Preki will actually save MoJo's job by guiding TFC to overachieve this season despite the absolute mess he inherited. I would like to see Preki take over the managerial responsibilties at some point but I wouldn't bet on it if the Reds enjoy a succesful season on the pitch...

You're probably right. Mo will get kicked upstairs - the way most bureauocratic corps treat management - and become an MLSE suit that we don't care about and Preki will run the team.

Luanda
03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
In hiriing Preki, MOJO was certainly also ensuring his own succession! Preki will be at the top soon within 1-2 years.

azzuri4stars
03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
I called for Mo to go long ago based on his TFC record and overall management record...and got shouted down. Good to see an overall agreement forming on the need to get rid of him.

I'm with you on this.

koryo
03-28-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm not supporting MLSE as owners, but there's NO chance of that changing any time soon so we're forced to settle for figuring out a way to work within their frame work. Certain things will never change, the motive will always be profit above all else etc. but someone can pursue those goals and put a better product on the pitch. I'll never be convinced that Mo Johnston has any sort of special skills that allows TFC to make money...he's been given credit for things he didn't do IMO. The team made money while he was in charge, but not as a direct result of anything that he's done.

I have no doubt that someone can do the same job of generating income while also putting a better product on the pitch. He's been given a respectable level of resources to work with, but he's completely mismanaged them. Some one else could do more with the same.

Very well said. Spot on.

ManUtd4ever
03-28-2010, 12:35 PM
You're probably right. Mo will get kicked upstairs - the way most bureauocratic corps treat management - and become an MLSE suit that we don't care about and Preki will run the team.

I would be fine with that!

jabbronies
03-28-2010, 12:36 PM

Gotta agree with this as well. Last year was the climax of the first 2 years, unfortunately it failed and everyone saw it coming - No striker - No CB. That's Mo's fault.

Now that we are rebuilding - which is seems like we are, not from the ground up, but still rebuilding. We should start fresh. It's going to take a year to get ourselves out of the current financial mess we are in before we can start really bringing in players that'll make a difference. And then another year as a setup year (similar to year 2) before we can even consider ourselves contenders again.

Potentially 6 years of failure is not a good way to start off a franchise.

nascarguy
03-28-2010, 12:39 PM
yeah just look at the leafs and how bad they play. I'm not wear any tfc red the only tfc gear I'm wear this season is the black tfc t-shirt.

ManUtd4ever
03-28-2010, 12:40 PM
^^ that's not funny. Not funny in the least :D

No, it's not! :D

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Sure, but if you're the guy who fires him, how do you keep your job? Is it based on winning or just on making a profit? Where exactly is line between your job being based on winning and profit? Don't you think after the whole Carver thing options were looked at by whoever looks at these things at MLSE and whatever would be considered a 'successful' season was decided at that point? And by promoting the assistant and not spending any more money on a new, experienced coach the bar for successful was set pretty low. Oh, they probably said 'make the playoffs' but then accepted that they came close enough and would have if they'd spent the money on a new coach.

Let's face it, they buy the excuses because they use them themselves all the way up to... well, to where exactly? That's the problem.

koryo
03-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Mediocrity
Losing
Shit
Excuses

CretanBull
03-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Sure, but if you're the guy who fires him, how do you keep your job? Is it based on winning or just on making a profit? Where exactly is line between your job being based on winning and profit? Don't you think after the whole Carver thing options were looked at by whoever looks at these things at MLSE and whatever would be considered a 'successful' season was decided at that point? And by promoting the assistant and not spending any more money on a new, experienced coach the bar for successful was set pretty low. Oh, they probably said 'make the playoffs' but then accepted that they came close enough and would have if they'd spent the money on a new coach.

Let's face it, they buy the excuses because they use them themselves all the way up to... well, to where exactly? That's the problem.

I'm not arguing with you or lobbying on behalf of MLSE upper management, I just think that level of accountability that you want is never going to happen, so we're forced to settle for a level of accountability that might be possible.

My impression - based on things said and printed - is that Mo was brought in to be the 'soccer guy' at MLSE. He was hired and left to his own devices. The team became a much bigger success than they ever imagined it would, they made more money than they thought they would so that gave them reason to not tinker with anything. They put him in charge of things, and he made them a ton of money. In their eyes, its probably as simple as that.

But we don't look at things from their perspective. They want to make money, and nothing else. We want to win, and nothing else. If TFC finish dead last but make $20 million, they're OK with that. If TFC win finish first and win the Cup, we don't care if they lose $20 million doing it.

CretanBull
03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Mediocrity
Losing
Shit
Excuses

Forward this to the banner team :D

CretanBull
03-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Gotta agree with this as well. Last year was the climax of the first 2 years, unfortunately it failed and everyone saw it coming - No striker - No CB. That's Mo's fault.

Now that we are rebuilding - which is seems like we are, not from the ground up, but still rebuilding. We should start fresh. It's going to take a year to get ourselves out of the current financial mess we are in before we can start really bringing in players that'll make a difference. And then another year as a setup year (similar to year 2) before we can even consider ourselves contenders again.

Potentially 6 years of failure is not a good way to start off a franchise.

The sad reality is that we'd be better off this season if we an expansion team. We're not building on our past, we're hamstrung by it.

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not arguing with you or lobbying on behalf of MLSE upper management, I just think that level of accountability that you want is never going to happen, so we're forced to settle for a level of accountability that might be possible.

My impression - based on things said and printed - is that Mo was brought in to be the 'soccer guy' at MLSE. He was hired and left to his own devices. The team became a much bigger success than they ever imagined it would, they made more money than they thought they would so that gave them reason to not tinker with anything. They put him in charge of things, and he made them a ton of money. In their eyes, its probably as simple as that.

But we don't look at things from their perspective. They want to make money, and nothing else. We want to win, and nothing else. If TFC finish dead last but make $20 million, they're OK with that. If TFC win finish first and win the Cup, we don't care if they lose $20 million doing it.

Yes, it's true, we don't care ho much money we lose to win. And judging by the huge debts of some championship teams, in some leagues that's the only way to do it.

I agree with everything you say exept, "He was left to his own devices." No company operates that way and we know this one doesn't. Sure, maybe they think they "know" hockey more than they know soccer, what they really know are Toronto fans. And tey know the financial health of MLS and from that they make decisions on how muh of an onvestment to make in TFC.

And we really don't know what their investment in infrastructure was compared to Seattle or San Jose or even Philadelphia, but they know we don't care, so it doesn't even have to be as much. We don't know what resources the team was given and what the expectations were and we don't care. So, by playing into the "Fire Mo," as the only solution to the team's problems, we give them an easy out, a cheap way to satisfy fans and not have to spend any more money.

Cashcleaner
03-28-2010, 01:12 PM
He can still be fired, they just have to pay him what he's owed. Frankly, I think it might be better to pay him to stay at home and away from the team.

Oh yeah, that's true. They could buy him out, I suppose.

Davenport
03-28-2010, 02:09 PM
After 4 years we should be seeing some real progress.

There's been none.

NONE.

Get rid of the tosser.

ensco
03-28-2010, 02:22 PM
The sad fact is, MLSE will value the fact that Mo sold Edu for $5 million ($3 million to MLSE) more highly than any analysis of wins or losses or drafting or trading.

The sad fact is, the team' operations were severely hampered by the turf, which is resulting in Mo getting a free pass for errors that we all know were avoidable.

The sad fact is, TFC is a happy blip on the MLSE radar. They don't see any problem, at all, with the fact that a few hundred hardcores are bent, as long as the dough rolls in (which it does).

Beach_Red
03-28-2010, 02:26 PM
The sad fact is, MLSE will value the fact that Mo sold Edu for $5 million ($3 million to MLSE) more highly than any analysis of wins or losses or drafting or trading.

That's probaby not entirely true, but they certainly value the fact that the total points the team got increased in each of the first three seasons a lot more than we do. They don't look at the team quite as closely as we do, just the results, so from where they sit they aren't too bad.

Cashcleaner
03-28-2010, 02:31 PM

This post deserves to be fucking framed, because 'Bull has hit the nail dead-on.

We can't heap any good amount of criticism on Mo for the inaugural year. I think we did as much as could be expected for the first season by the first Canadian team in the league. And I'm willing to let the second season slide as well for pretty much the same reasons. We were still young, we were still working out the kinks, but there did seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Season 3, however, was our turn to really break-out and aside from the Voyageurs Cup victory, there was little else to cheer about. Yes, you can argue that we just narrowly missed the playoffs, but the fact remains that we lost a lot of games we should have at least tied, and tied a lot of games that we should have won.

Before I was a supporter of Mo. Then I became a critic. Now, I want nothing more than for him to GTFO.

Ontario Arab
03-28-2010, 02:48 PM
I will tell you this......Motherwell manager Craig Brown, is 69 years young. ex National team manager, will not be back next season for Well........this is the type of guy we need, not saying this guy to be exact but someone of his stature as GM.......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Brown_(footballer)

twistedchinaman
03-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Mediocrity
Losing
Shit
Excuses

Or on a two stick, a bank machine that says:

Anyone
But
Mo Johnston

TFC Via Buffalo
03-28-2010, 03:21 PM