PDA

View Full Version : All is not lost

Ossington Mental Youth
03-28-2010, 08:21 AM
im starting this thread in opposition to the post columbus game, i dont know why but i feel that we did alot better than that thread would suggest. Obviously we had our moments but we did see alot of great promise, also i do feel that we got cheated on that second goal. Im definitely feeling the shots that OBW popped off and i look forward to seeing more fro the boys

justin
03-28-2010, 08:26 AM
i tend to agree, we weren't ripped apart as badly as expected, we maintained decent shape, and OBW was unlucky not to score on at least one of his attempts. i just hope that preki doesn't take too long to realize how horrible garcia is, and in boston we see a backline of gargan...nana...harden...brennan

Luanda
03-28-2010, 08:33 AM
I though TFC was actually competitive. Not enough for a win, but certainly also not indicative of a 2-0 loss.
Look forward to a much improved performance in 2 weeks.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2010, 08:38 AM
I thought we looked a shambles in the first half, but I also thought we looked better in the second.

Nick Garcia can not keep getting minutes with this team, however. And I still don't think we will be a truly good team, until we get our striker and central defender situations finally sorted - and that apparently won't happen, until Mo is gone.

But I'm still hoping for the best from the guys currently in that locker room, and I'm still hopeful that Preki can squeeze more out of this lopsided roster.

We didn't get thrashed by Columbus, positionally. Almost every opportunity they were given on our net, was a direct result of someone on our team making a grievous mistake, that handed them the ball in a dangerous spot.

My optimism hasn't been completely drained away yet. In retrospect, taking our incomplete, revolving door lineup on the road to play one of the best teams in the league, probably wasn't the best way to start the season - especially given the amount of apprehension we already had for our shoddy defenders, and our lack of true scoring threats.

Hopefully Preki has identified all of the same problems we saw, and hopefully he can iron some of that stuff out of our game in the next two weeks. I also have my fingers crossed that, with Gargan coming in, Garcia will be relegated to the bench. Of course, we have no defensive depth, so Garcia would be right back in there the minute someone gets tired, or injured.

- Scott

hodgkiss
03-28-2010, 08:47 AM
i agree, it seemed to "feel better" overall. but we still need time... to get some better players, get plaers fit, learn the system, who teammates are etc...

if i was coach, here are a few key things i would change:

garcia (obvious) out this guy would have a hard time getting minutes in a semipro league.

gala should play more than 50 mins especially when he was creating the most chances in teh first half. but he needs to play on the left side.

drop dero back behind white but keep him ln teh left too. becaue we don't have a great right wing, we need to launch balls down the left wing once in a while. columbus was dangerous when they did this a few times.

play one up front - obw

julian closer to net and cronin further back or on the bench. cronin was not very good at all yesterday. and julian was much better making short feeds and less comfortable controling the midfield closer to the back.

sanyang looked to bring a something more to the team when he came on the pitch.

i would try a formation like this:

--------------------------frei----------------------------

nana---------gargan-----------harden--------brennan

-------------------------saric----------------------------

sanyang---------deguzman------------------------gala

--------------------------------------derosario----------
-------------------white---------------------------------

Mark in Ottawa
03-28-2010, 08:49 AM
The number of corners in the game (10-1 favoring Columbus) does give some indication of the play. Getting 2 shots on net does not bode well for many wins.

Yes the defence did look tighter over all but some obvious "interesting" decision making by various defenders and our goalkeeper means we must be able to score to stay in games.

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Gargan isn't a central defender, hodgkiss.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
03-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Maybe it's wrong to think this way, but I wasn't expecting a win given the state of the squad at the moment. The roster we're working with is only a few days old, most definitely not enough time for the players to start adapting to each other's pace and technique on the pitch, let alone become properly acquainted with each other off it.

Sure, it's disappointing to endure any loss and in all honesty, I doubt we'll do all that much better against New England - but we're currently a Work-in-Progress team and I'm expecting to see Work-in-Progress results because of that in the immediate future.

I'm confident that things will have settled down significantly in time for the Home Opener.

djking2
03-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Preki showed me enough in yesterdays game to deserve some patience. DeGuz linking up with DeRo and White for instance, It ain't his fault that he's rebuilding in a CBA year, just shit luck. With Cann in the works possibly and who knows what else I'm not sure "that apparently won't happen, until Mo is gone" is a little overly dramatic Scott.

Up till now our roster decisions have kind of looked like sticking a finger in the dike. Preki's don't!

thisisinternetclash
03-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Largely agreed. I watched the match at a pub with no commentary, so I'd like to rewatch it to see if my opinion changes, but I wasn't terribly disappointed. This was, after all, an away match to one of the best teams in the league, who - remember - have already played two competitive fixtures this season in continental competition. This Toronto team has a lot of problems, but I'd say it's reasonable to suggest that, considering the makeup of the roster and the present injuries, this is probably as poor as we're going to be. Outside of an unforgiveable error from Garcia (yes, it was poor keeping as well, but Frei wasn't so poor as to concede a goal through his own fault - that was entirely down to Garcia's clearance) we only lost 1-0. It could have been a lot worse.

Still Kicking
03-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree that all is not lost. The second half was slightly better than the first. Two weeks until the next game is a blessing.
I thought Harden looked ok, it all depends on who he is marking. Lenhart is his kind of striker.
There is a lack of cohesion in the midfield and JDG suffers because the other team gets away with swarming around him. I say add a striker to create a threat and space for DeRo, JDG and OBW. Add a central defender who can run the back and give the midfield time to mend.
Just how long have we been crying for a striker and a defender?

TFC blogger since game one
http://torontofcfan-mistakebythelake.blogspot.com/

Shakes McQueen
03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Preki showed me enough in yesterdays game to deserve some patience. DeGuz linking up with DeRo and White for instance, It ain't his fault that he's rebuilding in a CBA year, just shit luck. With Cann in the works possibly and who knows what else I'm not sure "that apparently won't happen, until Mo is gone" is a little overly dramatic Scott.

Up till now our roster decisions have kind of looked like sticking a finger in the dike. Preki's don't!

Overly dramatic? Our roster decisions this season, have looked every bit as frantic, poorly planned, and erratic as the last three years. I blame this on Mo, not on Preki. Mo is the one who signs the players.

I have no doubt Preki has input on personnel matters, but I also have no doubt that signing a bunch of trialists at the last possible second, not having a proven striker, and not having a proven defensive core, is Mo Johnston's modus operandi.

- Scott

OneLoveOneEric
03-28-2010, 09:17 AM
I largely agree with this thread. There was no reason to expect a win yesterday, and we weren't killed.
Say whatever about coaching, but IMO Preki/Carver/anyone else has little they can do with this team. The pieces on the field just aren't good enough.

scooterTFC
03-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Maybe it's wrong to think this way, but I wasn't expecting a win given the state of the squad at the moment. The roster we're working with is only a few days old, most definitely not enough time for the players to start adapting to each other's pace and technique on the pitch, let alone become properly acquainted with each other off it.

Sure, it's disappointing to endure any loss and in all honesty, I doubt we'll do all that much better against New England - but we're currently a Work-in-Progress team and I'm expecting to see Work-in-Progress results because of that in the immediate future.

I'm confident that things will have settled down significantly in time for the Home Opener.
I agree with your opinion… we were going to need a lot of luck to get a win yesterday. It was the first game of the year, for a re-building team, on the road against one of the best teams in the league, who’ve already played some champions league games this year. I think people need to be realitics in their expectations. I watched the game hoping and cheering for TFC to win but in the end the result was fair.

I understand and agree with the hostility towards Mo that it rampant on this board… he is ultimately responsible for the players on the roster. But this year is a little different then previous years - we have a new coach that is implementing a system of play that requires major roster changes. The collective bargaining agreement got in the way of the off season roster moves, so now the club has to rebuild the roster during the season… unfortunate but I’m not going to blame club management for circumstances beyond their control.

For what its worth I believe in the direction Preki is taking this club. This is a league with a salary cap and domestic player quota. Preki’s system seems to better suit the talent and skills of players available to clubs in this league. Its easier to find ‘solider type’ fit, fast physical players that fit the salary structure and domestic player rules of MLS. I would love see a roster full of ‘midfield artists’ that can play a beautiful possession game, but with the cap and available domestic talent that’s probably not a realistic.

Cashcleaner
03-28-2010, 09:53 AM
^ Exactly. And the big thing is the fact that so many have been saying that the roster needed dismantling and started over from scratch - and thats exactly what's happened. We have to get used to the fact that this is going to be a rebuilding year for TFC. I know we don't like to acknowledge it, but it's the reality we're faced with. And the fact that we're rebuilding in our 4th year of existence kinda proves that the team wasn't built all that well to begin with.

I too believe in Preki's direction for the club. I believe he's making all the changes that we've needed to be made for some time now. It hurts to watch and doesn't look sexy at all, but it's necessary and we'll be a stronger team once the cutting and molding is finished.

drewski
03-28-2010, 10:54 AM

I agree with your opinion… we were going to need a lot of luck to get a win yesterday. It was the first game of the year, for a re-building team, on the road against one of the best teams in the league, who’ve already played some champions league games this year. I think people need to be realitics in their expectations. I watched the game hoping and cheering for TFC to win but in the end the result was fair.

I understand and agree with the hostility towards Mo that it rampant on this board… he is ultimately responsible for the players on the roster. But this year is a little different then previous years - we have a new coach that is implementing a system of play that requires major roster changes. The collective bargaining agreement got in the way of the off season roster moves, so now the club has to rebuild the roster during the season… unfortunate but I’m not going to blame club management for circumstances beyond their control.

For what its worth I believe in the direction Preki is taking this club. This is a league with a salary cap and domestic player quota. Preki’s system seems to better suit the talent and skills of players available to clubs in this league. Its easier to find ‘solider type’ fit, fast physical players that fit the salary structure and domestic player rules of MLS. I would love see a roster full of ‘midfield artists’ that can play a beautiful possession game, but with the cap and available domestic talent that’s probably not a realistic.

^ Exactly. And the big thing is the fact that so many have been saying that the roster needed dismantling and started over from scratch - and thats exactly what's happened. We have to get used to the fact that this is going to be a rebuilding year for TFC. I know we don't like to acknowledge it, but it's the reality we're faced with. And the fact that we're rebuilding in our 4th year of existence kinda proves that the team wasn't built all that well to begin with.

I too believe in Preki's direction for the club. I believe he's making all the changes that we've needed to be made for some time now. It hurts to watch and doesn't look sexy at all, but it's necessary and we'll be a stronger team once the cutting and molding is finished.

thanks guys!

you just saved me a lot of typing!

just to add re: Mo, i'm still want to see his ass kicked to the curb, not necessarily for his moves this winter but the way he handled some of those moves.

scooter
03-28-2010, 11:13 AM
i just posted in the other thread so i do not want to repeat myself

but yesterdays game gives me a lot of hope that preki can make this team a winner

azzuri4stars
03-28-2010, 12:16 PM
im starting this thread in opposition to the post columbus game, i dont know why but i feel that we did alot better than that thread would suggest. Obviously we had our moments but we did see alot of great promise, also i do feel that we got cheated on that second goal. Im definitely feeling the shots that OBW popped off and i look forward to seeing more fro the boys

Problem last season was that we couldn't score. Problem this year is that wecan't score. Mo has doing absolutely nothing to address this problem. Actually he has done absolutely nothing this offseason to address any of the teams weaknesses. All he has done is get rid of players. Some I agree should have been released but others ????? Who have we picked up that will help this team? Is this team better than last years team????
I don't think so.

twistedchinaman
03-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Sure we weren't killed -- but there was quite an under-construction feel to the side which I am sure a lot of us (myself included) are extremely angry -- and livid enough to keep up our calls for Mo Johnston's head.

We held up and didn't melt, and the anticipated thrashing didn't come. Lots of elementary mistakes and some of the shots should have connected, but overall I still maintain a glimmer of hope.

But seriously.

FIRE JOHNSTON | AXE GARCIA

This Axis of Idiots have to be eliminated; both of them are like Beavis and Butthead...oh wait, that'd be an insult to Beavis and Butthead. My bad.

TFC USA
03-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Of course all is not lost.

If we keep losing then Mo and Garcia can both go!

ensco
03-28-2010, 03:36 PM
All is not lost...but this is not likely to be enjoyable in the short run.

I am going to watch the whole Barca-RM game on April 10, and just skip the TFC-NE later the same day.

I'll bet there are a lot of diehard TFC supporters who do the same thing.

Brooker
03-28-2010, 03:56 PM
wait a minute... a thread where people aren't acting as if Toronto FC management has raped and murdered their only child?

impossible!

Pigfynn
03-28-2010, 04:10 PM
^^lol

Ossington Mental Youth
03-28-2010, 04:27 PM
I appreciate that people have a hate on for Mo/MLSE.
There are plenty of other threads in which you can express those sentiments.
I too hate Mo but this is about the game and the hope we have in our team and Preki.