PDA

View Full Version : Who do we believe? Carver or Yallop

olegunnar
06-18-2008, 09:00 AM
JC says the transfer window is now open:

Carver is determined to add to his squad over the next few weeks. "The window is now open, and we will be busy. In preseason I asked the fans to be patient. I said we would get players in here to improve the squad, and we did. Now I'm saying the same thing again; just see what happens in the next few weeks, be patient, we will improve the squad."

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080617&content_id=166376&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Yallop in an article from June 15th says it opens July 15th

"Hopefully, come July 15 (when the transfer window opens) there are some new players to add to our team and that will give us a bit more consistency," Yallop said. "We're looking at some experienced players to help us. The young guys gave everything they had tonight, and that's important."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080615&content_id=165817&vkey=news_sje&fext=.jsp&team=t110

The MLS website says it's open June 15th to August 15th.

(B) TRANSFERS AND LOANS
An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League. The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player are as follows:
January 15 - April 15 (Primary Window)
June 15 - August 15 (Secondary Window)

http://ww2.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

flatpicker
06-18-2008, 09:01 AM
I'll go with the majority.

DigzTFC!
06-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Okay,

I think I can explain this:

June 15 is when the window for MLS opens (MLS website and quotes)

July 15 is when other leagues window opens (McBride)

because MLS teams don't buy players with transfer fees, waiting until other leagues window open is more likely what MLS teams wait for. So Yallop has someone in mind that has a contract. If someone is out of contract, TFC can pick them up before the July 15th international window

Northern Soul
06-18-2008, 09:05 AM
The transfer window for other leagues is open. It opens when the previous season ends.

olegunnar
06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Okay,

I think I can explain this:

June 15 is when the window for MLS opens (MLS website and quotes)

July 15 is when other leagues window opens (McBride)

because MLS teams don't buy players with transfer fees, waiting until other leagues window open is more likely what MLS teams wait for. So Yallop has someone in mind that has a contract. If someone is out of contract, TFC can pick them up before the July 15th international window

But then how do you explain this from the MLS website
"the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player are as follows:"
Wouldn't the Mcbride situation be requesting the transfer certificate of an international player?

DigzTFC!
06-18-2008, 09:18 AM
International contracts expire July 1st from what I understand. Does anyone want to go back and find out why Beckham arrived so late last year?

Edit:

Real Madrid confirmed Beckham's departure in a statement, saying: "Both parties have agreed that Beckham will not extend his current contract, which ends on 30 June 2007."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6248835.stm

Beckham new contract didn't come into effect until July 11th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Beckham

Maybe the international certificate transfer takes a couple weeks.

Shaughno
06-18-2008, 09:25 AM
International contracts expire July 1st from what I understand. Does anyone want to go back and find out why Beckham arrived so late last year?

:google:

As for the Transfer stuff...

(B) TRANSFERS AND LOANS
An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League. The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player are as follows: January 15 - April 15 (Primary Window)

^^ For Int'l players.

(D.) TRADES
Players, rights to sign players, SuperDraft picks, allocation money, Designated Player slots and International Player slots may all be acquired and exchanged in trades approved by the MLS League Office provided all of the necessary rules regarding roster and salary budget compliance are met and the trade is consummated during the valid trading period. The trade window opened on November 19, 2007 and will close at the 2008 trade deadline of September 15, 2008 (in conjunction with the discovery claim and roster freeze deadline).

^^ For domestic players/players already in the MLS.

Seems pretty clear to me. Anyone saying July 15th obviously hasn't read MLS's own rules site.

James Oliphant
06-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Problem is, Shaughno, that Ivan Gazidis seems to think it's July 15th. You may have heard that name before...he's the Deputy Commissioner of MLS.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/qa-with-ivan-gazidis-about-the-jozy-altidore-transfer/

Our summer transfer window opens on July 15 and the Red Bulls have a month to prepare.

Shaughno
06-18-2008, 09:33 AM
And it can't be a typo? He also says...

Well, since this is outside the transfer window, he will be available for them from the beginning of the window, which is July 1.

Which throws for a whole nother loop.

werewolf
06-18-2008, 09:33 AM
^ maybe Ives made a typo...or has he typed it more then once...that would be sad if the deputy commissioner didn't know the transfer window.

James Oliphant
06-18-2008, 09:36 AM
And it can't be a typo? He also says...

Which throws for a whole nother loop.

That's for a player leaving the league...MLS is terminating his contract at the end of June 30th, 2008, making him available to Villareal the next day.

Shaughno
06-18-2008, 09:41 AM
James, that is incorrect according to the rules.

(III.) METHODS OF RELEASING PLAYERS
(A) WAIVERS
Teams may waive players based on performance at any time during the MLS season. Players on guaranteed contracts waived on or after July 1 of any year, however, will continue to have their salary budget count against the team's salary budget and the team waiving the player will not receive a replacement except under the normal player acquisition mechanisms. Players may not be waived while they are injured, unless the League reaches a settlement with the injured player for his release. In such a scenario, the settlement amount will be charged to the team's salary budget. Upon return to fitness, however, a player may be waived normally.
(B) TRANSFERS AND LOANS
An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League. The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player are as follows:
January 15 - April 15 (Primary Window)
(C) CONTRACT EXPIRATION
When a player's contract expires, the player does not count against the roster or budget of the team in question. A team retains the rights to the player indefinitely following the expiration of a contract only if attempts were made to re-sign the player. NOTE: No changes may be made to a team's active full roster during the period beginning September 15, 2007 (Roster Freeze Date) through the day after MLS Cup. Nevertheless, a team may obtain a goalkeeper in accordance with the extreme hardship rules and procedures to replace a goalkeeper who is injured or otherwise legitimately unavailable after the Roster Freeze Date. Any other replacements after the Roster Freeze Date may only be made in exceptional circumstances in the League's sole and absolute discretion.

Lucky Strike
It's June 15, plain and simple, always has been while TFC's been in the league. This is just further proof that MLS is overly complicated. So much so that its prominent figures don't even understand everything. We are lucky to have Mo who seems to know this maze inside and out.

Fort York Redcoat
The fact its even a discussion sounds so bush league, MLS. But since McBride was released the international date shouldn't be a concern just the MLS date. He's out of his team can he get into MLS as of now?

Shaughno
06-18-2008, 09:45 AM
The fact its even a discussion sounds so bush league, MLS. But since McBride was released the international date shouldn't be a concern just the MLS date. He's out of his team can he get into MLS as of now?

That's my understanding. Mo's just dragging it out. ;)

Oldtimer
06-18-2008, 09:48 AM
The new FIFA regs stipulate that each National Association shall nominate two transfer periods or windows for all transfer activity to take place. In effect, no player can make an international transfer in to a country outside of the times set by that National Association. A player can transfer out of a country at any time, it is the country of destination that must comply with its transfer window.http://www.southernfed.co.nz/NZStransferwindows.htm

It's simple, each league sets their own windows. The rules are for transfers IN.

EPL's dates:

The transfer window opens at midnight on the final day of the 2007/08 season, and closes on Monday 1st September 2008 since the 31st August is not a working day. It reopens on 1st January 2009, and will close on Monday 2nd February 2009 since the 31st January is not a working day.http://www.hullcity-mad.co.uk/news/loadroll.asp?cid=EDZ1&id=394911

Go by the MLS published rules to decide when the window is. Everyone else is confused.

James Oliphant
06-18-2008, 09:49 AM
James, that is incorrect according to the rules.

[/i]

Is June 30th not "any time"? Villareal has no competitions right now, so it seems to me like the agreed-upon date for Jozy's contract with MLS ending was then, allowing New York ample time to find someone to replace him or at least decide on the use for their compensation package from MLS.

Shaughno
06-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah good call, realized after I misread what was posted. :lol:

olegunnar
06-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Looks like Morgan Campbell is going to have to call the league offices again. :hump:

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Something is more than a little messed up here. Probably not a huge issue for TFC since they tend to be linked with out of contract players whose statuses I don’t believe are effected by this transfer window confusion.

CoachGT
06-18-2008, 09:00 PM
It seems to me that I read that European players contracts expire on July 15th and they are not ligible to play in the MLS until after that date. I'm sure that I read that in one of the McBride threads I read today , the one written by the Chicago paper that said that they didn't think that Mo was dealing fairly.

Here's the thread link: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2108