PDA

View Full Version : Preki and the Media

Pookie
03-26-2010, 05:56 AM
It looks as though Preki is endearing himself to the Toronto media... at least the few folks that follow the team.

He was the subject of a story today by Gareth Wheeler "Cheer on this, Preki" (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/25/13362231.html).

He was quoted as saying: “It’s just a very negative setup around the city in terms of the press, the media and at some point I’m going to have to cut it off because my job is to defend these guys (and if it doesn’t improve) we’ll lose that relationship, all of us.”

Of course, that kind of threat didn't sit well with Wheeler who offered:

"The media is supposed to be an extension of the fan-base, asking and answering the questions the fans cannot ask. Like it or not, Preki, it’s in the job description. And so is accountability from the team, and the head coach is the front man. Threatening to shun the media is essentially eliminating access to the team for the fans. And that is unacceptable, even if the motive is protecting his players...

... There is nothing wrong with the media calling a spade a spade. If you want half-truths or cute stories, go to the team’s website or television channel."

My question is, whose side are you on?

Is Wheeler right in that the press has a job to make people accountable? That without a spotlight on them, we'll be fed PR drivel with no real substance? That the press is always fair and objective, positive or negative depending on what the issue warrants?

Or is that simply a smoke screen used by the press in order to push an agenda of negativity, because barbs sell better than flowers? That in a 2-1 Cup victory, the press would likely highlight the weakness that led to the lone opposition goal? Over time, this culture of negativity will create the "Toronto pessimism" around this team much like that exists with the Leafs, Raptors and Jays? Anything they do is wrong, will be wrong and that's just the way it is?

Shakes McQueen
03-26-2010, 06:30 AM
I mean, I think both sides have a point. I think Wheeler's pontificating about the noble intentions of the press is pretty nauseating, as the Toronto sports media are some of the most vapid schmucks on the planet - Wheeler included.

It's one thing to present an article of valid criticisms of the direction the team is heading - it's another thing to write some of the snarky, haughty bullshit guys like Wheeler and Cathal Kelly write on a weekly basis about the club. Guys like J-Mo seem to write respectful articles that can be critical, without being douchey. As does Nigel Reed.

But man - nothing gets the media's back up, more than when the subjects of their scorn stand up to them. That's when they pull out the high-minded nonsense about their mission to speak for those that can't speak themselves, when all guys like Kelly and Wheeler seem to like to hear is themselves most of the time.

All of that said, I think Preki has an obligation to give the press access to himself and the team, regardless of his personal feelings of the coverage. That doesn't mean he necessarily has to make himself available to any reporter who asks a question, as he wouldn't be the first coach in the world who refuses to take questions from certain people. If he thinks the press are being unfair, he has every right to take them to task about it. But the access should still be there.

To be honest, I think it's refreshing to have another coach for a Toronto sports team, who considers the media to be adversaries. I got tired of the big love-in with the media, between Carver and Cummins. I think having a coach who isn't afraid to tell an overzealous press to fuck off now and again, actually helps the athletes deal with the pressure of playing in a market like Toronto.

- Scott

nascarguy
03-26-2010, 06:35 AM
I do not know anything about Preki he was a nice guy to talk to at the CCC but he whould dumd not to be nice to the teams supporter's

Shakes McQueen
03-26-2010, 06:35 AM
My favourite quote from the Wheeler article:

Believe it or not, the media, just like the rest of the city, desperately wants this team to win. Not because we have vested interested. Telling stories of success and triumph are much more enjoyable than talking controversy and defeat.

You hear that guys? The press don't enjoy writing articles about controversy and defeat.

Funny that, because from some of the Cathal Kelly articles I've read, I could almost close my eyes and see him typing with one hand, while jerking off in self-satisfaction with the other.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
03-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Oh crap. What we don't need is another coach who can't handle the pointed questions or criticisms brought forward by the press here in Toronto.

Look, most of the people who make up Toronto's sporting press probably don't have any sort of axe to grind or any ulterior motive when it comes to reporting on Toronto FC. Their job is fairly straightforward, in fact. They just want to report on the goings-on at the club and ask the sort of questions they think most fans want answers to. Yes, there are a few exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, it's pretty cut and dry.

If anyone in the TFC organization is going to get their backs up over reporters just doing their jobs, then we are in for troubling times indeed.

Shakes McQueen
03-26-2010, 06:39 AM
I'd also point out that managers like Wenger and Sir Alex will often say controversial things like this strategically, in order to take heat and pressure off their players. Such may also be the case with Preki.

I'm sure he'd much rather take a beating in the press about stuff like this going into the weekend, than have Gareth Wheeler writing more stuff about how shitty his team is.

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
03-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Yeah I'm hoping this is Preki scheming and not already sensitive to the exposure (read: scrutiny) that TFC gets.

The author has done little to ingratiate himself with both those he interviews and his target readership. I have little sympathy for him and don't consider him "my voice" to the team.

Cashcleaner
03-26-2010, 07:00 AM
I'd also point out that managers like Wenger and Sir Alex will often say controversial things like this strategically, in order to take heat and pressure off their players. Such may also be the case with Preki.

I'm sure he'd much rather take a beating in the press about stuff like this going into the weekend, than have Gareth Wheeler writing more stuff about how shitty his team is.

- Scott

Its a possibility for sure, but I would doubt it. Preki doesn't have the sort of rep you need to pull that off. Not yet at least.

Fuck. If its true its ballsy.

Shakes McQueen
03-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Its a possibility for sure, but I would doubt it. Preki doesn't have the sort of rep you need to pull that off. Not yet at least.

Sports media are pretty easy to make into willing patsy's. They are always chasing a compelling narrative. All Preki has to do is give that to them, and suddenly he's the topic of conversation - not his team.

- Scott

Gixmo
03-26-2010, 07:13 AM
SAF yes Arsene typically ' Did not see the incident ' :)

There is merit in both sides to the story. Let the ball roll on first kick and then we'll see what happens. We should beat Philly easily ;p

FluSH
03-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Pookie,

Great thread but your are going to get it form the poll patrol... (not enough choices)

I will keep this short for now... I fully support Preki. There is something about him that I haven't seen in this orginization... and we need it.

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Pookie,

Great thread but your are going to get it form the poll patrol... (not enough choices)

I will keep this short for now... I fully support Preki. There is something about him that I haven't seen in this orginization... and we need it.

One word. Discipline.

Oldtimer
03-26-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm in the middle here. Preki needs to give reasonable access to the media, even if they ask hard questions. However, he doesn't need to stand there for a slagfest.

One thing is sure, Preki is not used to the type of scrutiny that Toronto teams get. In KC or with Chivas, you just don't get that type of exposure.

FluSH
03-26-2010, 07:30 AM

I might as well link what I'm thinking so far about Preki:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=948362&posted=1#post948362

koryo
03-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Pookie,

Spot on Flush. That thing we haven't seen before is a spine.

And about bloody time n'all.

As for Wheeler and his holier-than-though shot at Preki this morning: pot...kettle...black.

The media doesn't represent me to the club. No fucking way will I let someone so bloody daft speak for me.

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Spot on Flush. That thing we haven't seen before is a spine.

And about bloody time n'all.

As for Wheeler and his holier-than-though shot at Preki this morning: pot...kettle...black.

The media doesn't represent me to the club. No fucking way will I let someone so bloody daft speak for me.

Agreed.

Preki didn't need to say what he said, but let's be fair. He never got the same amount of attention in the past, that he has since he arrived in Toronto. Cut the guy some slack, he's never liked the media and I like that he stood up to them and basically said, "piss off all you want to talk about is the negative aspects".

We have plenty other outlets to get information Wheeler, and usually, our sources are better than some all-around sports guy with a limited football IQ.

bgnewf
03-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Here is my take on this.

http://www.tfcpics.com/blog/archives/30.html

ManUtd4ever
03-26-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm in the middle here. Preki needs to give reasonable access to the media, even if they ask hard questions. However, he doesn't need to stand there for a slagfest.

One thing is sure, Preki is not used to the type of scrutiny that Toronto teams get. In KC or with Chivas, you just don't get that type of exposure.

Yup. I agree that Preki must defend his players. On the other hand denying access to the media outright is unacceptable. The suggestion reminds me of the Ballard years with the Leafs when the media was banned from the Leaf dressing room, lol. Welcome to the jungle, Preki...

koryo
03-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Agreed.

Preki didn't need to say what he said, but let's be fair. He never got the same amount of attention in the past, that he has since he arrived in Toronto. Cut the guy some slack, he's never liked the media and I like that he stood up to them and basically said, "piss off all you want to talk about is the negative aspects".

We have plenty other outlets to get information Wheeler, and usually, our sources are better than some all-around sports guy with a limited football IQ.

But quotient means that you're not trying to divide by 0, doesn't it?

And you're right: he didn't need to threaten to cut off the media. If you combine a bullish attitude and no experience dealing with the media in a town like this, then I suppose it's a recipe for...

As in every story there are two sides. Preki won't take shit from anyone, that's a quality that will serve the team well. On the other hand, it can also manifest in throwing your toys out of the pram.

Still, I have no sympathy for the media in this case. It's laughable that Wheeler postures as the victim. That lot will write what they bloody well want, access or no.

nascarguy
03-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Pat 3 Preki 0......lol

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 07:49 AM
But quotient means that you're not trying to divide by 0, doesn't it?

And you're right: he didn't need to threaten to cut off the media. If you combine a bullish attitude and no experience dealing with the media in a town like this, then I suppose it's a recipe for...

As in every story there are two sides. Preki won't take shit from anyone, that's a quality that will serve the team well. On the other hand, it can also manifest in throwing your toys out of the pram.

Still, I have no sympathy for the media in this case. It's laughable that Wheeler postures as the victim. That lot will write what they bloody well want, access or no.

For sure, that's what I've liked about Preki. Everything is about the team. Problem being, now the media is going to be on him like white on rice trying to get him more riled up. Welcome to Toronto Preki... our media is a whole different kind of animal.

and definitely agreed.

jabbronies
03-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Preki should be familiar with a tough media crowd. He played in Everton and Portsmouth. I'm sure they were just as bad as the Toronto media is.

Oh well, at least it'll keep him on his toes.

rocker
03-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Preki's probably just tired of all the dumb questions he gets. Have you watched those TFC TV scrums with journalists? There's rarely a good question in them. "Are you excited about the season, Preki?" I'd probably say "Of course I'm excited. Who wouldn't be excited? Next question."

bangersandmash
03-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Dear Gareth,

Please return your toys to the pram.

Auzzy
03-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Preki spoke about this on Fan 590 last night. He said he mostly wants to protect the players, even if there's a mistake now & then, because they're working very hard.

BTW I don't think it's the job of the media to "rally" around the team, so I would disagree with Preki on that. But I think it's their job to report fairly, which means (in most cases) there should be some negatives & some positives in their reports. Even if it's just a commentary piece, there should be some balance, especially over time.

Often I think we see too much negativity. And like all other topics, parts of the media tend to jump on whatever the current bandwagon of a topic is, avoid researching much, and will skip any nuances that go against that trend. Right now the bandwagon is "OMG TOTAL CHAOS TFC SUCKS DEFINITELY NOT MAKING THE PLAYOFFS" etc etc (slightly exaggerated).

So I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Anyway, perhaps Preki really thinks, by extension, the fans should rally around the team, when he's talking about the media. Maybe Asif told him though, how well it goes down when they try to tell fans how they should be reacting ;)

Daveisonfire
03-26-2010, 08:33 AM
The media can call a spade a spade and that's fine.

As long as they aren't being negative for the sake of being negative a la Cathal Kelly.

Guys like Molinaro, Paul James & Ben Rycroft should be the litmus test of solid Toronto footy journalism

Redcoe15
03-26-2010, 08:35 AM
It wouldn't suprise me if Preki ended up behaving like Urban Meyer did recently.

xgqQshESm8s

Parkdale
03-26-2010, 08:38 AM
this line:

... There is nothing wrong with the media calling a spade a spade. If you want half-truths or cute stories, go to the team’s website or television channel.

wow.... all the 'zings' and 'oh snaps' on the internet aren't enough to describe just how sharp that is.

Whoop
03-26-2010, 09:16 AM

- Scott

QFT

What are we talking about the day before the game?

How shit the team is or about the fact that Preki is threatening to cut off the press?

Whoop
03-26-2010, 09:17 AM
this line:

wow.... all the 'zings' and 'oh snaps' on the internet aren't enough to describe just how sharp that is.

Well... he is right.

Unless your name is Asif...

ensco
03-26-2010, 09:59 AM
We all want a coach who stands up for his men. But whining about the media? It's lame.

We've already seen this movie with Carver and the refs. Getting caught up in freaking nonsense.

Just tell people they're wrong, and explain why. That's what every great coach does. It's pretty easy.

jabbronies
03-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Well his comments are having the effect that he wanted it to have, which was take the spotlight/pressure off the players.

IMO - pepper him with everything you got Toronto media, lets see what he's made of. It'll definitely make for some entertaining interviews! There is no way in hell MLSE will let him blackout the media. (see leafs and raptors).

Beach_Red
03-26-2010, 10:10 AM
We all want a coach who stands up for his men. But whining about the media? It's lame.

We've already seen this movie with Carver and the refs. Getting caught up in freaking nonsense.

Just tell people they're wrong, and explain why. That's what every great coach does. It's pretty easy.

I guess we've never had any great coaches in Toronto then - in any sport ;).

It's also a two-way street (or as Dave Winfield said, a symbiotic relationship). A great coach needs a great media. And as we've said here, the media represents the fans so I guess you'd need great fans, too. Maybe we have all that and now we just need the great coach. Maybe Preki will discover how great we all are and then he'll deal with it differently.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-26-2010, 10:14 AM
i dont like that this is a poll
I do think hes gotten more attention from the media than he ever had at Chivas and Mo has definitely fucked it up for him, i also think it was a bit of a bad move on his part to cry about the negative press TFC had been receiving.

I do support him wholeheartedly and think that the press does need to think about what hes working with as a coach (i have seen more bits and pieces about that as of late).

DangerRed
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
How many times do you read one of the "articles" produced by some Toronto sports journalist only to find it obvious, contrived and (sometimes) filled with errors?

I rely on the press for fact-based reporting. I prefer guys like the dude who runs 24thminute or Ives or even sometimes J-Mo for opinion and insight. The rest is largely garbage.

Also, maybe we ought to have this conversation tomorrow at around 7 pm when the dust has settled from our first kick.

If we win against Shitlumbus, I guarantee you this will cease to be a "compelling narrative." To anyone.

king dave
03-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Y6yq5O8GXUo
KJ.

gtaguy
03-26-2010, 10:58 AM
I agree with any coach that wants to protect his players, thats a give me any day .

What i find the problem is what Preki said about the Negative setup..
If hes referring to the media and all of us supporters and fans that are upset, disgruntled, frustrated about how some players DON'T step up their game.
Players Making huge mistakes that cost the club points. Bad judgement in part of some of the players. Some have no desire or drive to play great soccer.
Or what about the Front office failure to sign quality players.
We are frustrated with this club and are outspoken becuase we have endured already 4 years of BS and are tired of futility.. Good for you Preki for defending your guys but sometimes its best to learn alittle of the history before you open your mouth up and piss off everyone.

jloome
03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Well, I've been a writer for a long time and I criticize the team every eight seconds, so I can say this without hint of bias: the dude's right, he just explains himself poorly.

It's one thing to climb all over Mo, for putting us in this travesty position. It's another to extend that sentiment of incompetence to every other player, particularly when they haven't kicked a ball for a point yet.

Having said that, I also suspect he brought this up in part becuase Garcia is having a good preseason and he likes him, yet his name is mud to TFC fans. That's probably what that tension is really about.

Certain players have struggled in the past; we have that history within the team with them, he doesn't. So he doesn't want their confidence in the dumper -- and yes, quite evidently they do read what we write -- right before the season starts.

Beach_Red
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
^ That sounds right. Plus, Preki himself was brought in last November, but likely the ownership didn't allow him to sign anyone until the CBA was signed and as soon as it was he went to work.

Pookie
03-26-2010, 11:35 AM
There is no way in hell MLSE will let him blackout the media. (see leafs and raptors).

Well, that's an interesting example. The Leafs have attempted to control access by giving pre and post game preference to Leafs TV. They have denied access to those who are over the top (in their view) when it comes to negativity, as evidenced by their ban on Bill Watters.

In essence, they are trying to exert some control about what is said about their brand. Of course, the saying that any press is good press carries mileage too.

It's a bit of a song and dance. MLSE needs the media. And the media need access to players and coaches.

Negative stories pay the bills for media outlets. Negative stories hurt the brand over the long run.

Shutting off access helps portray the brand in the way you wish but results in less media coverage.

Hard to win really.

Beach_Red
03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
^ MLSE have been winning this game for years. There's always drama with their teams, always a soap opera, it's always directed at the players and managers - they get changed and new drama begins.

Maybe in the long run basketball and soccer and will suffer, but as long as they are popular in the rest of North America, Torontonians will be more afriad of not being invited to the party than of not winning.

dow117
03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I mean, I think both sides have a point. I think Wheeler's pontificating about the noble intentions of the press is pretty nauseating, as the Toronto sports media are some of the most vapid schmucks on the planet - Wheeler included.

It's one thing to present an article of valid criticisms of the direction the team is heading - it's another thing to write some of the snarky, haughty bullshit guys like Wheeler and Cathal Kelly write on a weekly basis about the club. Guys like J-Mo seem to write respectful articles that can be critical, without being douchey. As does Nigel Reed.

But man - nothing gets the media's back up, more than when the subjects of their scorn stand up to them. That's when they pull out the high-minded nonsense about their mission to speak for those that can't speak themselves, when all guys like Kelly and Wheeler seem to like to hear is themselves most of the time.

All of that said, I think Preki has an obligation to give the press access to himself and the team, regardless of his personal feelings of the coverage. That doesn't mean he necessarily has to make himself available to any reporter who asks a question, as he wouldn't be the first coach in the world who refuses to take questions from certain people. If he thinks the press are being unfair, he has every right to take them to task about it. But the access should still be there.

To be honest, I think it's refreshing to have another coach for a Toronto sports team, who considers the media to be adversaries. I got tired of the big love-in with the media, between Carver and Cummins. I think having a coach who isn't afraid to tell an overzealous press to fuck off now and again, actually helps the athletes deal with the pressure of playing in a market like Toronto.

- Scott

Beatifully said !!! want a job at the Toronto Telegram when it comes back ??? . Total agreement mate !

ag futbol
03-26-2010, 05:54 PM
I guess we've never had any great coaches in Toronto then - in any sport ;).

(erm ... edit for tact.. shouldn't type when angry). I wouldn't call what TFC experiences comparable to the other teams in this town.

Have you seen the pressers TFC does? The questions are about as threatening as fuzzy kittens! 90 percent of these guys don't know anything about soccer and they're being pretty nice about the whole thing. The 10% like Wheeler and Molinaro bring up points that in a leaf / raptor context would be about 2/10 on a threatening scale and our media-phobia goes into high gear!

This kind of self-destruction by the front office isn't surprising considering they can't manage a soccer team either. Tell them to suck it up, this team actually has people covering it unlike Chivas... something he's going to have to adjust to.

ag futbol
03-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Negative stories pay the bills for media outlets. Negative stories hurt the brand over the long run.
Cause and effect. You put a crap product out there, people will call it crap, your brand will be damaged. That's not the media's fault.

They can certainly perpetuate something that is already going downhill but if you're doing your job properly in the sports business, the media isn't going to knock you off the rails.

DichioTFC
03-26-2010, 06:13 PM
feeling bad for toronto sports media is like like letting a drunk driver getting away with saying its the car's fault.

i have no sympathy for toronto's sports writers. they suck, they're overly opinionated (sports REPORTERS, not sports editorial writers), they sensationalize at the drop of a dime, and for all the bullshit they cause they dont really do a good job of getting to the bottom of problems (hell, if the toronto sports media were so insightful, i wouldnt have to go to deadspin.com and blogs for better opinions).

toronto sports reporters are redundant, they need to all shut up and stick to bitching about the leafs and jays.

dupont
03-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I hate the sports media as well. They don't really do anything important in my eyes. I just want to watch the game. I don't care about the players fielding questions about who is a bad apple in the locker room or any other bullshit that just distracts them.

Yohan
03-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Having said that, I also suspect he brought this up in part becuase Garcia is having a good preseason and he likes him, yet his name is mud to TFC fans. That's probably what that tension is really about.

Certain players have struggled in the past; we have that history within the team with them, he doesn't. So he doesn't want their confidence in the dumper -- and yes, quite evidently they do read what we write -- right before the season starts.
having seen Garcia in action what, 4-5 preseason games, I've yet to see anything that says Garcia's troubles of last season is gone.

But, I don't see Garcia at practice, and Preki is the manager, not I.

Prove me wrong, Garcia. Prove me wrong. (and vindicate all the times I stuck up for you last season lol)

DichioTFC
03-26-2010, 09:01 PM
having seen Garcia in action what, 4-5 preseason games, I've yet to see anything that says Garcia's troubles of last season is gone.

But, I don't see Garcia at practice, and Preki is the manager, not I.

Prove me wrong, Garcia. Prove me wrong. (and vindicate all the times I stuck up for you last season lol)

i admit, i'm starting to drink the Garcia kool-aid because Preki has faith in him working well in his system. If theres a good system around Garcia and Garcia holds up his end (he seems to be accountable to Preki) then I think a whole bunch of people might be proven wrong.

jazzy
03-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Preki's probably just tired of all the dumb questions he gets. Have you watched those TFC TV scrums with journalists? There's rarely a good question in them. "Are you excited about the season, Preki?" I'd probably say "Of course I'm excited. Who wouldn't be excited? Next question."

But Preki was very good on the soccer show with Nigel....and basically stated his philosophy eloquently, If I was playing for him I'd want to go all the way for the team. I now believe in him fully and if he can get a few more additions this can be a team. Thats his concept ALL for the team. AND he doesn't play for ties wins only. He's definetly a footballers man. Unfortunately if does well, Moe stays..that's MLSE. Brilliant by Moe.

Hustle
03-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Considering that this is where the reporters and bloggers spend most of their time getting ideas for stories, I am not going to put much merit into the results of this poll.

There is an over saturation of focus on this team who all ask the same stupid questions over and over again. Preki should cut the media exposure in half if for no other reason than to give these guys twice as much time to come up with some more interesting questions. When it comes to media exposure on the team, give me quality over quantity any day.

scooter
03-27-2010, 10:52 AM
gareth wheeler article just proves yet again he is negative and a toe rag

preki i think very innocently said the media should get behind the team and support them instead of being so negative or he would ignore them -- good call in my book

preki is nieve he doesnt YET realize what yarns these rag merchants will fabricate to sell papers in this town

the best way to shut them up is put a winning team on the pitch --i think he will

rocker
03-27-2010, 11:43 AM
But Preki was very good on the soccer show with Nigel....and basically stated his philosophy eloquently, If I was playing for him I'd want to go all the way for the team. I now believe in him fully and if he can get a few more additions this can be a team. Thats his concept ALL for the team. AND he doesn't play for ties wins only. He's definetly a footballers man. Unfortunately if does well, Moe stays..that's MLSE. Brilliant by Moe.

The interview with Fan590 was interesting.. cuz Nigel was falling all over himself to ask good questions (not dumb obvious questions). Although at one point Nigel seemed to catch himself asking a dumb question and he ended up prolonging his wording to clarify before letting Preki answer.

Iarusci also seemed to be very polite to set up a good environment for the interview. This is exactly what Preki wants.