PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,Mar.26

denime
03-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Mornin'

Preki Prepares Reds For First Kick (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100325&content_id=8935622&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Preki calling the shots (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/james-on-soccer/preki-calling-the-shots/article1512617/)

In a perfect TFC world ... (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/25/13362246.html)

Cheer on this, Preki (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/25/13362231.html)

TFC deals for midfielder LaBrocca (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/25/13356511.html)

Toronto FC Acquires Nick LaBrocca (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100325&content_id=8935436&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC trades Wynne to Colorado (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/25/sp-wynne.html)

TFC deals Wynne to Rapids for LaBrocca, 2011 pick (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/785590--tfc-deals-wynne-to-rapids-for-labrocca-2011-pick)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)__:yum:

sarsippius
03-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Good opinion from Gareth and a little objectivity about Mo, although I disagree with the "people won't pay attention" bit.

anto7
03-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Great article by Wheeler.
SSG looks real dirty in pictures 19 & 20 !!!

Carter
03-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Mornin D'

cochrdoc
03-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Good article by Wheeler.Preki must have forgotten that Toronto has the best fan base since the team started.When the team has struggled they have been there.When the team goes into their 4 th season after a poor preseason and the team has lost some quality players and only have reserve players in return,no wonder we are negative.#rd round draft choices don`t usually make it and stock pile them is not going to help us down the road.The next few weeks will be interesting and how they perform against Montreal and Vancouver.Good luck Preki you have some work to do.

scooter
03-26-2010, 06:58 AM
mornin d

u to carts

FluSH
03-26-2010, 07:17 AM
So I began reading the Wheeler article first because of the great reviews here... I stopped after the 6th paragraph... Wheeler, Preki is not your regular Joe...

I'll give you the same advice I've told my 4yr old (and will remind him again someday)

"Son, one day you will grow up to be a man... you will grow from a young cub to a lion... however one day you are going to meet a Tiger... as much as you won't want to... this is the day you will need to walk away"

Wheeler, Preki is a Tiger... I can feel it... If he wasn't a Futbol coach he would probably be a Hitman... and if he could... he would probably kick your ass... anything you say won't matter and will just piss him off even more...

I suggest everyone just chill with Preki...give him some leeway and let him do his thing... We don't want to piss off our 4th coach now before the season even starts... especially not Preki.

koryo
03-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Wheeler's being a bit arrogant by suggesting that the media is the only outlet to the team though :)

koryo
03-26-2010, 07:26 AM
So I began reading the Wheeler article first because of the great reviews here... I stopped after the 6th paragraph... Wheeler, Preki is not your regular Joe...

I'll give you the same advice I've told my 4yr old (and will remind him again someday)

"Son, one day you will grow up to be a man... you will grow from a young cub to a lion... however one day you are going to meet a Tiger... as much as you won't want to... this is the day you will need to walk away"

Wheeler, Preki is a Tiger... I can feel it... If he wasn't a Futbol coach he would probably be a Hitman... and if he could... he would probably kick your ass... anything you say won't matter and will just piss him off even more...

I suggest everyone just chill with Preki...give him some leeway and let him do his thing... We don't want to piss off our 4th coach now before the season even starts... especially not Preki.

Counter-argument though: if he's a tiger then he's big enough to meet the criticism of his team in the media.

One key point the media has missed - and if I were Preki I'd be pissed about this too - is that Johnston is the man who made this mess. Now he's suddenly stepped back to let Preki sort it out and deal with the brunt of the criticism that should, quite rightly, be fired directly at Johnston.

We can only start in on Preki once he's built his own team.

FluSH
03-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Counter-argument though: if he's a tiger then he's big enough to meet the criticism of his team in the media.

uh no... he's big enough to strike back... :D

ensco
03-26-2010, 07:31 AM

Sorry but there's no way that Preki saying what he said can be construed as anything other than lame.

Since the last season ended, we have dumped 4 marquee players, which is not a problem, at least for me, without a single replacement, which is a HUGE problem.

Assuming Labrocca gets here, we have 12 healthy players Saturday. That is a joke. For TFC, for for Mo Johnston, and for Preki. We are not ready to start the season. It's a joke. Full stop.

pekduck
03-26-2010, 07:31 AM

i was going to say the same...

some meet the criticism with stoic expression and calmness

a tiger will shred you into pieces and end the criticism from the source :D

pekduck
03-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Sorry but there's no way that Preki saying what he said can be construed as anything other than lame.

Since the last season ended, we have dumped 4 marquee players, which is not a problem, at least for me, without a single replacement, which is a HUGE problem.

Assuming Labrocca gets here, we have 12 healthy players Saturday. That is a joke. For TFC, for for Mo Johnston, and for Preki. We are not ready to start the season. It's a joke. Full stop.

did Preki say the team is ready to date or did he just tell the media to lay off

had he said we have everything we need, yeah, then it would be a joke, but that's not the case

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Good quote from the Star IMO

Brennan said he has "no worries" that Nana Attakora can step into Wynne's right back spot.
Attakora, who turns 21 on Saturday, played in 20 games last season, scoring twice and adding four assists. He gained confidence as the season progressed.
"I'll be prepared," said Attakora, who made his debut with the Canadian national team earlier this year. "I have a lot to learn there, to be fair to myself, but I think, with the help of the coaches, I can get used to it."

Basically what I expected to happen, push Nana out to the right side and have Cann/Harden/Gomez/Garcia manning the middle spots.

pekduck
03-26-2010, 07:38 AM
why is it every time i see the name Garcia, i cringe....

but if preki has his system running and players are disciplined to support each other, it can mitigate their individual defending deficiencies...

FluSH
03-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Listen,

I'm not talking about Preki's skills as a coach... I'm talking about his character... only a fool would treat every person the same way... and if we think we can treat every coach that comes to Toronto the say way we are delusional...

McBrace
03-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Good quote from the Star IMO

Basically what I expected to happen, push Nana out to the right side and have Cann/Harden/Gomez/Garcia manning the middle spots.

And with that I expect Garcia to shit the bed, Preki have no choice but to sit his ass in the stands... I don't understand why Gerba was sent home and Garcia wasn't....They both has guaranteed contracts right?

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 07:45 AM
why is it every time i see the name Garcia, i cringe....

but if preki has his system running and players are disciplined to support each other, it can mitigate their individual defending deficiencies...

There's obviously something in Garcia that Preki sees. Plus he played with Preki at KC, so he knows that he's got the football IQ, it's just applying it properly on the pitch. It could be like a Tyrone Marshall situation where he goes from being shit to solid simply because of the partnership and system being played.

Who knows, but if he plays like last year... I don't want to see him on the pitch.

McBrace
03-26-2010, 07:48 AM
There's obviously something in Garcia that Preki sees. Plus he played with Preki at KC, so he knows that he's got the football IQ, it's just applying it properly on the pitch. It could be like a Tyrone Marshall situation where he goes from being shit to solid simply because of the partnership and system being played.

Who knows, but if he plays like last year... I don't want to see him on the pitch.

I hope your right... Watching seattle last night, I thought wow are they ever going to shred our D with the way they move the ball... Or maybe Philly is that bad..

koryo
03-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Or something Preki's been told... my instincts are still telling me that Johnston holds his chain. His outburst against the media this morning would fit that theory.

ManUtd4ever
03-26-2010, 07:52 AM
As a former teammate, Preki will unfortunately give Garcia the benefit of the doubt to start the season. My feeling is Garcia will have to play his way off the roster by showing the same form as last year if he is to be replaced in the starting lineup...

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Or something Preki's been told... my instincts are still telling me that Johnston holds his chain. His outburst against the media this morning would fit that theory.

I guess the starting lineup will show who's boss if that's the case. If Garcia starts... Mo's still holding that chain, if he doesn't, Preki's taken the reigns.

Nuvinho
03-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Mo said on This is Football....that Preki likes Garcia.

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 07:58 AM
No offense.. but I don't trust a word he says these days... LOL

koryo
03-26-2010, 07:59 AM
I guess the starting lineup will show who's boss if that's the case. If Garcia starts... Mo's still holding that chain, if he doesn't, Preki's taken the reigns.

And of course, I've no proof that this is the case at all. Just a hunch. Perhaps Preki has found a way to make Garcia useful?

We'll find out tomorrow.

I'll say this: if it's business as usual with Garcia, then as far as I'm concerned Preki is a yes man and part of the problem.

pekduck
03-26-2010, 08:04 AM
And of course, I've no proof that this is the case at all. Just a hunch. Perhaps Preki has found a way to make Garcia useful?

We'll find out tomorrow.

I'll say this: if it's business as usual with Garcia, then as far as I'm concerned Preki is a yes man and part of the problem.

i'd refine to say if Garcia is still being exposed, then that may be an issue

if Garcia is fitting okay in Preki's system (assuming the D line is playing his system with discipline) then i will feel otherwise

Nuvinho
03-26-2010, 08:05 AM
2nd DP?

According to commissioner Don Garber, who spoke to reporters at halftime of Thursday’s Sounders-Union match, the league will be making a decision “shortly” on whether to expand the Designated Player rule to two slots per team

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/garber-second-dp-decision-coming-shortly

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 08:06 AM
On a brighter note, everything I've heard puts our back line as the most solid piece of the puzzle so far.

Stouffville_RPB
03-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Preki really likes Garcia plain and simple. Even on the soccer show last night when asked if the team is going to get a solid CB he just went off and started pumping up Garcia saying it is unfair that people are giving him a hard time and he has won championships before.

No way Garcia gets cut or dropped from the lineup anytime soon.

boban
03-26-2010, 08:10 AM
SSG looks real dirty in pictures 19 & 20 !!!
Eh .. she's a slut.

pekduck
03-26-2010, 08:11 AM
On a brighter note, everything I've heard puts our back line as the most solid piece of the puzzle so far.

comparing to our non-existent offense... yes.. that statement would be true...

denime
03-26-2010, 08:40 AM

I think you post is joke,full stop ;)

WTF Preki has to do with 12 healthy players,did he injured the other 6?

4 marquee players that all together are over 130 years old ,for promising young players hungry to show up their skill,I think he is on right track,

As far G.W.goes,well he can go F... himself as afar I'm concern,but again that's just me. ;)

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM
comparing to our non-existent offense... yes.. that statement would be true...

Also comparing to our fairly talented midfield. :rolleyes:

maninb
03-26-2010, 08:44 AM

I wish i had your optimism about Garcia...but IMO he's worth at LEAST 1 goal against per game, he's that terrible...I'm sticking with my 2-0 loss vs Clownbus tomorrow...mainly because Garcia will be starting...

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 08:47 AM
I wish i had your optimism about Garcia...but IMO he's worth at LEAST 1 goal against per game, he's that terrible...I'm sticking with my 2-0 loss vs Clownbus tomorrow...mainly because Garcia will be starting...

I'm not expecting miracles, just proposing theoretical situations.

...but seriously look at how people on this board tore Marshall a new one at times, myself included, then he went on to be a part of one of the tightest defenses in the MLS the following year.

Beach_Red
03-26-2010, 08:47 AM

For Preki and Mo it may have come as a surprise that the owners wouldn't sign anyone with the threat of a strike or lockout - but we've been through this in Toronto before, so we should have known better. I suppose they should have done some research too, how easy would it have been to have seen that the Leafs were the least prepared team coming out of NHL labour strife?

Redcoe15
03-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Mo said on This is Football....that Preki likes Garcia.
:facepalm: :banghead:

maninb
03-26-2010, 08:56 AM

...but seriously look at how people on this board tore Marshall a new one at times, myself included, then he went on to be a part of one of the tightest defenses in the MLS the following year.

personally I never thought Marshal was that bad...considering he played beside Velez a good portion of the time what could one expect...it just seems to me that Garcia is a ticking time bomb all the time, overly aggressive/reckless, and he's BY FAR the slowest player on the pitch, which makes him a HUGE liability when trying to keep a team honest by playing the offside trap...Do you remember during the last home game last year when Serioux was leading the team out and had 2 or 3 players caught offside, he turned around and Garcia was BACKPEDALLING TOWARDS HIS OWN GOAL!!! I thought Serioux's head was gonna explode!

Shaughno
03-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Hence why I said, "if he continues to perform like last season".

Problem being last season, there was no cohesion in the back line. Zip, zero, zilch. So when you have 4 defenders, all on different pages... it really fucks you up. You aren't covering for each other, you aren't positioned properly and it's usually just a sad scene (as witnessed many times last year).

Everything I've heard from preseason and training has been about how disciplined and solid our backline has been.

Whoop
03-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Preki really likes Garcia plain and simple. Even on the soccer show last night when asked if the team is going to get a solid CB he just went off and started pumping up Garcia saying it is unfair that people are giving him a hard time and he has won championships before.

No way Garcia gets cut or dropped from the lineup anytime soon.

That was the only distressing part of the interview yesterday, but Preki did acknowledge that Garcia is just part of his system he wants to implement. Preki believes in his system but he needs the guys to buy in, help each other out.

I think he believes Garcia's deficiencies can be masked/limited if everyone works together.

But we'll see...

While I agree with Preki's mentality of protecting his players and wanting to support his players, I've seen first hand that shutting the media out is one of the worst things you can do. It just makes the negativity/situation worse.

Though it may be tough at times, if you face the music day in and day out, it is best for everyone involved. I've always hated the "secrecy" that emanates out of the FO, especially in regards to the players.

And I agree with koryo about how this is really Mo's mess and Preki is the "face" of the team now. And while Wheeler might like Mo, I wouldn't say he's accessible. There have been many times when answers were needed and Mo was nowhere to be found.

Pigfynn
03-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Garcia will play better under Preki. The only problem is he will never be a very good defender. The discipline of Preki's defensive system will make our average players look better. To some extent, I believe he will make our below average guys look average to above average.

Whoop
03-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Hence why I said, "if he continues to perform like last season".

Problem being last season, there was no cohesion in the back line. Zip, zero, zilch. So when you have 4 defenders, all on different pages... it really fucks you up. You aren't covering for each other, you aren't positioned properly and it's usually just a sad scene (as witnessed many times last year).

Everything I've heard from preseason and training has been about how disciplined and solid our backline has been.

I think this is what Preki seems to be trying to fix up first.

Problem is we can't score, so that's putting more pressure on the back. So even if the team has been defending well, the lack of scoring exacerbates the problem.

Roogsy
03-26-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd like to see what Preki does with Garcia, maybe he can use him or get something out of him that Chris could not?

It's not secret that players do better under systems that suit them. Garcia may not be the player he used to be but perhaps Cummins' system was the worst for him and highlighted his deficiencies whereas Preki's system it might not be as big a problem?

Just sayin'...

Whoop
03-26-2010, 09:30 AM
^^
LOL... I think you missed a word in that last sentence.

I'm hoping it might NOT be as big a problem...LOL

Oldtimer
03-26-2010, 09:38 AM
I hope your right... Watching seattle last night, I thought wow are they ever going to shred our D with the way they move the ball... Or maybe Philly is that bad..

Philly is that bad.

Luanda
03-26-2010, 09:41 AM
OK, the AM is almost done. Where is the rest of that player movement that is supposed to be happening?

Roogsy
03-26-2010, 09:43 AM
^^
LOL... I think you missed a word in that last sentence.

I'm hoping it might NOT be as big a problem...LOL

Crap...fixed...thanks.

ensco
03-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Listen,

I'm not talking about Preki's skills as a coach... I'm talking about his character... only a fool would treat every person the same way... and if we think we can treat every coach that comes to Toronto the say way we are delusional...

Preki threatening to cut off the media because they are making legitimate criticisms is no endorsement of his "character".

pekduck
03-26-2010, 09:46 AM
^
how legitimate is the assumption of legitimate criticisms?

billyfly
03-26-2010, 09:47 AM
OK, the AM is almost done. Where is the rest of that player movement that is supposed to be happening?

That's what I am wondering.

Roogsy
03-26-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't think it matters whether it is legitimate or not. That's pretty ridiculous and every coach that has gone down that route in any sport has not endeared himself to anyone.

reggie
03-26-2010, 09:52 AM
lets see what happends if we start 0 and 2...
if you would of told me at the end of last season that garcia would be our starting cb i would of shit in my pants...so i guess im going to buy some diapers today..

Dub Narcotic
03-26-2010, 09:55 AM
I'd like to congratulate MLS for making me unable to find video highlights of last night's game anywhere. Did your web guys go on strike too?

Beach_Red
03-26-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't think it matters whether it is legitimate or not. That's pretty ridiculous and every coach that has gone down that route in any sport has not endeared himself to anyone.

Some have endeared themselves to players. Usually that's the intent - to get the media talking about the coach, taking all the attention away from the players so that, hopefully, they can spend all their time preparing for the games.

There may be legitmate distractions created by the organizaion that the fans and media want to discuss, but the coach has no control over all that -- all he can do is prepare his team. If he has to cut off the media to do that, so be it.

Nuvinho
I don't think any more moves will be made until next week. We have a bye week.

maninb
lets see what happends if we start 0 and 2...
if you would of told me at the end of last season that garcia would be our starting cb i would of shit in my pants...so i guess im going to buy some diapers today..

I'll split the cost with ya! :) Preki better have a monster of a DM (no idea who that could be) playing in front of our CMs or we are F*CKED!!!

reggie
03-26-2010, 10:03 AM
i hope im wrong,but i dont see anything better then a 3 nil loss tomorrow..

billyfly
03-26-2010, 10:10 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/SOS.PNG

gtaguy
03-26-2010, 10:16 AM
I just hope tomorrows game is not a Huge embarrasement .
Will be interesting to see what comments come out of Preki's mouth if we lose.
Garcia better not make him look bad.

Roogsy
03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Some have endeared themselves to players. Usually that's the intent

Believe me, there is no danger of that with Preki...

MG42
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/SOS.PNG

Make the banner cover the south end billy! :lol:

Pigfynn
03-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I just hope tomorrows game is not a Huge embarrasement .
Will be interesting to see what comments come out of Preki's mouth if we lose.
Garcia better not make him look bad.

Wow....just wow :facepalm:

Beach_Red
03-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Believe me, there is no danger of that with Preki...

:D:D:D

Seriously, though, a lot of athletes actually like hard-ass coaches - if they win. Probably Preki the player appreciated that kind of coach so that's what he's looking for in players.

Whoop
03-26-2010, 10:38 AM
It's funny there are some guys who would kill for coaches like Mike Keenan, Bobby Knight, etc... while other guys want to kill them.

As Casey Stengel put it, "The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided."

Even coaches who are "player's coaches" have guys who hate them... why? They don't play them, give them recognition, etc. The coaches' job is to be a parent, not to be a friend. That's what assistant's are for.

Like BR says... win and everyone loves you. Except the guys who don't play. LOL

olegunnar
03-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Mo said ......

Everytime I see or read that now I think....

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

lintberg
03-26-2010, 10:39 AM
According to Paul B's twitter today....Seasons Tickets should start arriving in our hands mid-next week!

Woohoo!!

Lucky Strike
03-26-2010, 10:40 AM
New boys Philadelphia already making friends:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundersfcblog/2011445736_union_coach_peter_nowak_blasts.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2011445633_kelley26.html

It's refreshing to have some call out Ljungberg for diving and/or embellishing as well as whining.

johnmolinaro
03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
my TFC season preview:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/26/sp-tfc-season-preview.html

sorry if someone already posted it here.

John Molinaro
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

ManUtd4ever
03-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Good point. I would love nothing more than for Garcia to prove all of his critics wrong this season. I just hope that if it turns out to be the status quo that Preki will not allow his loyalty to Garcia to cloud his judgement. If Robbo, Serioux, and Wynne couldn't cut it than Garcia should be on a very short leash to say the least!

Oldtimer
03-26-2010, 11:08 AM
my TFC season preview:

John Molinaro

Can't disagree with anything you said.

v00d00daddy
03-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I like the way Preki is handling things. At the very least he seems to have a plan. Whether or not that plan works out remains to be seen but he's definitely not a guy who is just winging it.

I don't care how he treats the media or what his opinion is of Nick Garcia...if we look organized on the field and it (eventually) leads to results...I'll be happy.

All the other shit (media/fans/support) is all window dressing for the product on the field. If he gets that straight he can go tell everybody (including me) to fuck themselves and I'll still support him.

"To be honest with you......" I think TFC will be okay this season. :D

Beach_Red
03-26-2010, 11:21 AM
my TFC season preview:

John Molinaro

"Can the club improve on its fifth-place showing from a year ago and make a push for the post-season? Don't bet on it, not with the current roster of players, anyway."

Is that called hedging your bet? ;)

The only sure bet with this team is that it won't finish the season with the same roster it started with.

Darlofletch
03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
personally I never thought Marshal was that bad...considering he played beside Velez a good portion of the time what could one expect...it just seems to me that Garcia is a ticking time bomb all the time, overly aggressive/reckless, and he's BY FAR the slowest player on the pitch, which makes him a HUGE liability when trying to keep a team honest by playing the offside trap...Do you remember during the last home game last year when Serioux was leading the team out and had 2 or 3 players caught offside, he turned around and Garcia was BACKPEDALLING TOWARDS HIS OWN GOAL!!! I thought Serioux's head was gonna explode!

i didn't catch much of preseason, but I saw that happen at least once. If we're trying to keep a high line, there'll be a lot of space behind the defence, Garcia obviously doesn't trust himself to win a foot race over 20 yards or so, so tries to cheat and drop back a couple of yards to give himself a head start. If that continues get ready for a lot of what looks like terrible offside decisions, but actually aren't, and opposition wingers in a lot of space behind the full back. An organised defence/offside trap will fall apart pretty quickly if the back four don't trust themselves and each other.

Having said that, if he can avoid that, if we've got an organised defence, and no More Marvell Wynne to have to cover for, Garcia could be ok. certainly not worth his high salary, but not a complete liability any more.

I still think this saturday could be a bit of a shitshow, but with (hopefully) more players brought in, and more time to practice, two weeks from now and for the rest of the season we'll be at the last tough to beat, won't score much, but tough to beat at least.

olegunnar
03-26-2010, 12:18 PM
i didn't catch much of preseason, but I saw that happen at least once. If we're trying to keep a high line, there'll be a lot of space behind the defence, Garcia obviously doesn't trust himself to win a foot race over 20 yards or so, so tries to cheat and drop back a couple of yards to give himself a head start. If that continues get ready for a lot of what looks like terrible offside decisions, but actually aren't, and opposition wingers in a lot of space behind the full back.

I'm in complete agreeance and have seen this first hand.
I caught a few games last year from the upper deck. Great view of the game. One thing that stood out though is what you talked about....Garcia hedges to protect his lack of pace...and by doing that he screws up the line.

What should be a straight line ends up looking like a checkmark or the big dipper, and Garcia is playing people onside all the time

sulfur
03-26-2010, 12:26 PM
According to Molinaro's twitter (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/11100136261):

Just spoke to Brian Edwards. he confirmed he's been let go by the club and that Conway will backup Frei in Columbus. more to follow

MG42
03-26-2010, 12:30 PM
According to Molinaro's twitter (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/11100136261):

Is conway the MLS pool GK? I thought he was under contract with Chivas? Help. Bring back the Gilstrap!!!

sulfur
03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Is conway the MLS pool GK? I thought he was under contract with Chivas? Help.
He was released by Chivas last Friday morning. Not a pool GK at the moment, and was on trial with TFC Wed and Thurs this week. He may now be a pool GK, as might Eddy.

The MLS doesn't release details of the GK pool players until 3-4 weeks into the season typically.

Molinaro's story: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/26/sp-edwards.html

MG42
03-26-2010, 12:35 PM
He was released by Chivas last Friday morning. Not a pool GK at the moment, and was on trial with TFC Wed and Thurs this week. He may now be a pool GK, as might Eddy.

The MLS doesn't release details of the GK pool players until 3-4 weeks into the season typically.

Molinaro's story: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/26/sp-edwards.html

OK that makes sense, thanks.

pekduck
03-26-2010, 12:47 PM
not sure if this is news

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/wynne-may-make-rapids-debut-friday-la

“I knew nothing about this,” Wynne said from the team’s hotel late Thursday night. “I have just bought a place in Toronto and was not planning to move. It came out of nowhere.”

Detroit_TFC
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
In the Iditarod you get a red lantern for being last. What the fuck will we get for being last, other than laughed at?

Clearly Preki sees the need to rebuild this squad but I am somewhat concerned that we have now have a string of players throughout the league who are leaving Toronto very pissed off.

When are we going to get some good news?

:(

drewski
03-26-2010, 01:38 PM
In the Iditarod you get a red lantern for being last. What the fuck will we get for being last, other than laughed at?

http://mls.theoffside.com/files/2010/02/wooden-spoon.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Wooden_Spoon

drewski
03-26-2010, 01:56 PM
two contributors on goal.com predict Preki will win coach of the year and guide TFC to the playoffs.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/03/26/1850812/mls-opening-weekend-special-mls-season-predictions?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BuSaPuNk
03-26-2010, 02:00 PM
http://mls.theoffside.com/files/2010/02/wooden-spoon.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Wooden_Spoon

So we finish last we throw wooden spoons on the pitch?
Big banner of a wooden spoon?:rolleyes:

maninb
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
i didn't catch much of preseason, but I saw that happen at least once. If we're trying to keep a high line, there'll be a lot of space behind the defence, Garcia obviously doesn't trust himself to win a foot race over 20 yards or so, so tries to cheat and drop back a couple of yards to give himself a head start. If that continues get ready for a lot of what looks like terrible offside decisions, but actually aren't, and opposition wingers in a lot of space behind the full back. An organised defence/offside trap will fall apart pretty quickly if the back four don't trust themselves and each other.

Having said that, if he can avoid that, if we've got an organised defence, and no More Marvell Wynne to have to cover for, Garcia could be ok. certainly not worth his high salary, but not a complete liability any more.

I still think this saturday could be a bit of a shitshow, but with (hopefully) more players brought in, and more time to practice, two weeks from now and for the rest of the season we'll be at the last tough to beat, won't score much, but tough to beat at least.

Well said...Perfect example from last year...Serioux tries to lead the team out to catch opposition offside, looks back to see Garcia BACKPEDALLING towards his own goal, playing oppositon ONSIDE which leads to confusion and a goal....

James17930
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Preki's right -- the media is too negative most of the time.

Also -- the Sunshine girl is an absolute ten. Gorgeous.

Roogsy
03-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Preki's right -- the media is too negative most of the time.

Because in Toronto, they have so much to be positive about? :D

P-NUTZ
03-26-2010, 02:51 PM
i would put basically any young kid with half a soccer soul and some solid fitness in place of that complete retard garcia. he is an idiot - almost dillusionally poor a player. like hockey, you put a young kid on D, cringe at times but let him blossom.

Roogsy
03-26-2010, 02:53 PM
SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)__:yum:

Dear lord! :eek:

trane
03-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Because in Toronto, they have so much to be positive about? :D

We are undefeated, and have not conceded a goal. On the negative we have not scored a goal yet.

ag futbol
03-26-2010, 05:39 PM
It's refreshing to have some call out Ljungberg for diving and/or embellishing as well as whining.
While I would hardly call him a saint, did you watch the game? To call Phily a bunch of talentless thugs would have been generous, they're lucky they didn't end the game with 8 guys.

And to echo ensco way back on page one. Fielding the number of guys we are right now is a total disgrace, full stop. The time to do a lot of this was months ago. Other teams (as usual) got their house in order well in advance of the season.

Preki needs to balance the need to bring in new players, with good old fashioned practicality. Because he's making the players (who are left on this team) job extremely difficult. This team doesn't have enough players to practice, doesn't have enough guys to have a functional roster on game day.

That's why, whille i'd love to anti-up and drink more cool-aid, I'm overwhelmed with negativity. We're writing off games at the start of the season again (for the third time in four years). How is this acceptable?

rocker
03-26-2010, 06:16 PM
the swede does complain a lot tho. i find it annoying.