PDA

View Full Version : Henry reported in talks with NYRB

Yohan
03-25-2010, 09:03 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/7511796/Barcelona-striker-Thierry-Henry-close-to-New-York-Red-Bulls-move.html

Slightly more reputatable paper reporting this... Article however is wrong in one party. NYRB has a 2nd DP spot (one vacant after Reyna retired)

kodiakTFC
03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/7511796/Barcelona-striker-Thierry-Henry-close-to-New-York-Red-Bulls-move.html

Slightly more reputatable paper reporting this... Article however is wrong in one party. NYRB has a 2nd DP spot (one vacant after Reyna retired)

I'm probably wrong but I don't think you retain a 2nd DP spot after they leave.

deltox
03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
the new DP rule will prolly allow teams to have 2.

and LA could have...... 5 maybe

JonO
03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Someone please remind me how they have that 2nd DP spot anyway...

Yohan
03-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm probably wrong but I don't think you retain a 2nd DP spot after they leave.
no. DP spots acquired from trade lasts as long as the trade stipulations indicates. i don't know how long NY will have Chiva's DP spot, but I think it's for at least this season before going back to Chivas (i could be wrong on this)

Billy the kid
03-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow, JPA and Henry on forward. How would any defense in the MLS deal with that.

Billy the kid
03-25-2010, 09:38 AM
The disparity between money spent on attacking and defending players in this league is crazy.

Yohan
03-25-2010, 09:40 AM
by cutting off feed to them...

I'm not sure if JPA intends to retire soon (and I think he's got 1, maybe 2 seasons left) but it is risky trying to build a squad around 2 DPs

JonO
03-25-2010, 09:40 AM
no. DP spots acquired from trade lasts as long as the trade stipulations indicates. i don't know how long NY will have Chiva's DP spot, but I think it's for at least this season before going back to Chivas (i could be wrong on this)
Ahhh - thanks. Did some digging around and I think you may be right. I couldn't find much, but what little I could find indicated that the DP spot goes back to Chivas after this year...

When is Angel's contract up?

Yohan
03-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Ahhh - thanks. Did some digging around and I think you may be right. I couldn't find much, but what little I could find indicated that the DP spot goes back to Chivas after this year...

When is Angel's contract up?
soon? lol. JPA is 34. just how much more abuse is his body able to take in a physical MLS season?

mastermixer
03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
If he does come after the world cup (which I highly doubt) we would get to see him against TFC on Aug 21. Sounds good to me.

ensco
03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Someone please remind me how they have that 2nd DP spot anyway...

Here's a hint: They acquired Chivas' DP slot for 5 years before the 2007 season in return for......

tfcfanboy420
03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Henry is my fav player, growing up watching him in Arsenal and playing with France @ the World Cup years ago! Henry was one of the reasons I started to "Follow Footy" instead of just watching it!

This is great news for MLS but i wish we could get him!

SELL EVERYTHING FOR HENRY PLZZZZZZZ

#12 on TFC Red would look Sexy!

ManUtd4ever
03-25-2010, 11:06 AM
This would be a huge step in the right direction for MLS as far as global brand recognition. Henry is still in his prime...

drewski
03-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Henry is my fav player, growing up watching him in Arsenal and playing with France @ the World Cup years ago! Henry was one of the reasons I started to "Follow Footy" instead of just watching it!

This is great news for MLS but i wish we could get him!

SELL EVERYTHING FOR HENRY PLZZZZZZZ

#12 on TFC Red would look Sexy!

after this pre-season, our offense could definitely use a helping hand :D

Section 117
03-25-2010, 11:09 AM
I heard from sources that it is already a done deal. Henry will be putting on a Shite Bulls jersey after the world cup

jloome
03-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Here's a hint: They acquired Chivas' DP slot for 5 years before the 2007 season in return for......

TO the tune of "volare."

A-Mado!

Gue-vara!

Parkdale
03-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I heard from sources that it is already a done deal. Henry will be putting on a Shite Bulls jersey after the world cup

:cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin:

Robbo, Sutton, Boyens.... and Henry.

:cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin::cryin:

Shakes McQueen
03-25-2010, 11:19 AM
This would be a huge step in the right direction for MLS as far as global brand recognition. Henry is still in his prime...

I love Thierry Henry, but I can also definitively state that the guy is not in his prime.

- Scott

TFC USA
03-25-2010, 11:21 AM
I hear the Knicks need a really good point guard. Henry handles the ball better than anyone else on that team.

tfcfanboy420
03-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah watch out for the "Hand of God" MLS Officials lol! Is there instant replay in MLS hahha! Poor Henry, that hand just shipped his ass to the bottom of the barrel, NYC RBs! lol

from Barca to Redbull WOW WHAT HAPPEN HERNY!

Parkdale
03-25-2010, 11:28 AM
I love Thierry Henry, but I can also definitively state that the guy is not in his prime.

- Scott

average players worry about their 'prime years'.
Henry is one of the most naturally talented players on the planet,
and I bet that even two decades after his 'prime', he would still be
better than almost anyone in this league - Certainly smarter!

Oblio2
03-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Garcia coul deal with both of them, singleanded:rolleyes:

The K-Man!
03-25-2010, 11:31 AM
I hear he's negotiating to switch positions to keeper....

brad
03-25-2010, 11:48 AM
by cutting off feed to them...

I'm not sure if JPA intends to retire soon (and I think he's got 1, maybe 2 seasons left) but it is risky trying to build a squad around 2 DPs

Easier said than done - Henry will drop deep to get the ball and kill you from there.

brad
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
average players worry about their 'prime years'.
Henry is one of the most naturally talented players on the planet,
and I bet that even two decades after his 'prime', he would still be
better than almost anyone in this league - Certainly smarter!

Look how effective Blanco has been - well past his prime.

Yohan
03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Easier said than done - Henry will drop deep to get the ball and kill you from there.
yeah, but at least then you can concentrate more on Henry and not have to worry that much about rest of the team

or, could turn out that NY would have crazy goal scoring offence, but can't defend for shit (see LAG 08)

Yohan
03-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Look how effective Blanco has been - well past his prime.
Blanco also had a good supporting cast. NY is still rebuilding and remains to be seen whether all their off season moves will workout or not

Parkdale
03-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Blanco also had a good supporting cast. NY is still rebuilding and remains to be seen whether all their off season moves will workout or not

they seem to be further along in the 'construction of a new team' than we are.

Pachuco
03-25-2010, 12:23 PM
As much as I hate that lazy fucker I'd love to see him in the MLS. I never thought I would be supporting a team where the opposing player was Henry. Man am I ever going to have fun seeing him at BMO field.

If this is true, we could potentially see him at BMO.
08/21 -Saturday New York 1:00 p.m.

Billy the kid
03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
He'll be at Bmo as often as Beckham comes to BMO.

flatpicker
03-25-2010, 12:47 PM

The truth about Polkaroo has been revealed!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/polkaroobecks.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/?action=view&current=polkaroobecks.jpg)

brad
03-25-2010, 01:58 PM

With grass, I don't think that will be a factor.

Parkdale
03-25-2010, 02:00 PM
The truth about Polkaroo has been revealed!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/polkaroobecks.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/?action=view&current=polkaroobecks.jpg)

step away from the photoshop

stugautz
03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Should we do a Tifo with everybody holding up over sized hands? Just to show him we care.

Daveisonfire
03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
He'll be disappointed when he shows up in Jersey

flatpicker
03-25-2010, 02:32 PM
step away from the photoshop

hahaha.... yeah, well that was an old PS image I made... back in year one I think.
So it's only recycled.

flambe
03-25-2010, 02:43 PM

- Scott

Agreed, but will still light up defenses across the MLS and be the top goal scorer, 25+ easy.

rocker
03-25-2010, 03:43 PM
i dunno about 25+.. MLS isn't that easy!

he'll be a target for the opposition and eventually get hacked and manhandled.. his teammates will have to pick up the slack. he'll also have to travel distances he's never travelled regularly and play in the summer heat. Certainly he would lead the league in goals though.

TFCtoMUFC
03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
He's got good hands, should play for the Rangers/Islanders/Devils not NYRB.

Shakes McQueen
03-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Agreed, but will still light up defenses across the MLS and be the top goal scorer, 25+ easy.

I'm not so sure. Good strikers still rely on good passing, and I have no doubt a guy like Henry would be heavily marked.

People expected Ljungberg to set the league on fire as well, and while he was certainly one of the league's better players, he definitely didn't tear a single team apart. And Seattle were one of the better passing teams in the league.

Henry is better than Ljungberg, and would still no doubt score a bunch of goals. But I think 25+ is hugely overstating it.

- Scott

DichioTFC
03-25-2010, 04:07 PM
henry in la liga cant create on the ball as he once could. he'll probably have success with mls defenders, but wont be able to because of the league's physicality.

still, he's better than beckham and refs will definitely give him benefit of the doubt more often than not.

Joe Kool
03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
NY would make sense. I saw a TV interview a couple of years ago when Beckham-mania was on and they were asking if he ever considered playing in MLS. He said it was in his plan to play in NY because he owns some business that is based out of NY and that's where he plans to retire. He said he also has alot of close friends living there. Sounds like a Brian McBride kind of thing where he will come over but only wants to go to a specific team. Anyone know who is top of allocation order right now? Maybe they can trade for a Chad Barrett like we did.

P-NUTZ
03-25-2010, 04:25 PM
henry will draw lots of penalty kicks in the oppsing box. dangerous team brewing there.

Yohan
03-25-2010, 04:44 PM
NY would make sense. I saw a TV interview a couple of years ago when Beckham-mania was on and they were asking if he ever considered playing in MLS. He said it was in his plan to play in NY because he owns some business that is based out of NY and that's where he plans to retire. He said he also has alot of close friends living there. Sounds like a Brian McBride kind of thing where he will come over but only wants to go to a specific team. Anyone know who is top of allocation order right now? Maybe they can trade for a Chad Barrett like we did.
henry will not be subjected to the allocation lottery thingy

drewski
03-25-2010, 07:23 PM
henry in la liga cant create on the ball as he once could. he'll probably have success with mls defenders, but wont be able to because of the league's physicality.

i think his experience in the EPL will help with the physical side.

jloome
03-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Henry's goal productivity will solely be up to Henry. Against MLS defences, moved back inside, where's he's most comfortable? Get off the drugs, son. He could score 30, if Roy Lassiter could score 27 (relative strengths of the league then and now notwithstanding.)

It's Thierry Henry. He can create his own goals, he doesn't rely on a constant supply line, even at his current age. In MLS, that kind of guy's goals are only limited to how often he gets a touch within 40 yards and a little bit of fate.

K1nG
03-26-2010, 01:25 AM
He has no honour. Dove countless time and won goal affecting decisions during the last WC. Now look at what he's done to Ireland. I personally would rather see him back to France, regardless of what he can do for this league.