PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Mar.24

denime
03-24-2010, 05:28 AM
Mornin'

Toronto to host 2010 MLS Cup___:scarf::party::scarf: (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/toronto-to-host-2010-mls-cup/article1510006/)

TFC lacks depth as start of season nears (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/23/sp-soccer-tfc-depth.html)

Preki: Trialist And Injury Update (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100323&content_id=8884300&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

MLS Eastern Conference preview (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/23/13334746.html)

Unwanted Gerba remains part of TFC on paper (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/23/13334726.html)

MLS Announces CBA Details (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100323&content_id=8883214&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Designated Player rule changing: Commish (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/23/13334721.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

denime
03-24-2010, 05:35 AM
MLS Eastern Conference preview (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/23/13334746.html)

Toronto FC
Predicted finish: 8th East
:facepalm:

Who care we will host MLS Finals! :hide:

CretanBull
03-24-2010, 05:42 AM
Mornin' D

Yohan
03-24-2010, 06:03 AM

some ballsy predictions though. philly at 3rd? though after chicago and columbus, it really is a bit of toss up (except TFC which finishes last lol)

Fort York Redcoat
03-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Yep. Another distraction from poor play is on the way with hosting the MLS cup!

Wagner
03-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Awesome news about the MLS cup.

Does anyone know what the pricing was last year? I think I'm going to have to save up for this one. Last years game was pretty awesome.

I find it a little odd that torontofc.ca, mlsnet.com, and other sites aren't mentioning it?
I did a quick google news search...and the globe article is the only one...is it a scoop? or was the author a little pre-mature?

FluSH
03-24-2010, 06:52 AM
wow... tons of news

need some time to read and sink my teeth...

FluSH
03-24-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm excited about the MLS Cup coming here in 2010, with that said...we better make it far in the post-season... otherwise it will be an embarrassement yet again...

DP rule... we need more... but I can't see for the life of me how other clubs around the league will make that sort of investment if they aren't making a profit?! Will only big ticket names attract sales in the U.S. and if so... how big do these names have to be and at what price?

SSG... great bod =)

Steve
03-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Yep. Another distraction from poor play is on the way with hosting the MLS cup!

Well, to be fair, do you really think MLSE is thinking "let's try not to win, but then give them things to distract them from us not winning!". Frankly, I'd rather have an FO who does things to placate their fans (like grass) while we aren't winning, than one who doesn't win and doesn't care about their fans at all. Obviously MLSE wants TFC to win, if they do, they get more games, more revenue, sell more merch, etc. The problem isn't that they don't want us to win, the problem is there is no road from here to there. It's not that they're cheap (with a salary cap it's impossible to be cheap) it's that right now, we've spent our money in all the wrong places.

Mark in Ottawa
03-24-2010, 07:15 AM
MLS Cup... Outside in Toronto in late November.
This could be interesting.

Pigfynn
03-24-2010, 07:19 AM
RE: DP issue

^ This is exactly where this league needs to make it's concessions regarding parity. Since it's non cap money the league is not paying and shouldn't care about who can and who can't afford it. Every owner in this league should be able to pay one or two players a normal baseball, basketball, football wage. If they really can't, they shouldn't have a team at all.

scooter
mornin d

my thoughts exactly nov 21 st in toronto could be dammed cold

Steve
I'm excited about the MLS Cup coming here in 2010, with that said...we better make it far in the post-season... otherwise it will be an embarrassement yet again...

DP rule... we need more... but I can't see for the life of me how other clubs around the league will make that sort of investment if they aren't making a profit?! Will only big ticket names attract sales in the U.S. and if so... how big do these names have to be and at what price?

SSG... great bod =)

I'd imagine the changes to the DP rule will involve two things:

1) A team's DP now only counts as a 200k cap hit towards your roster (this enables teams who can afford a DP, but can't afford the cap hit, to sign a DP player, even if he's only making 500-600k)

2) Team's get another DP.

And will other teams be able to do it? Probably not, and that's the point. MLS is seeing new teams coming in and making a profit right away, but then you have teams like Toronto finishing last. They know they need to keep those fans excited if they want to usher in a new era into MLS (with sell out teams and people treating it like a sport). That means helping their big market/profitable teams a little bit (without throwing parity out) by allowing them to sign another good player.

The problem for us is, if those changes were made, we wouldn't be getting a world class striker (which, to be fair, is exactly what we need) in. Instead we'd probably give the second DP to DeRo. Sure, it would save 200k in cap space, but DeRo, at his age, just isn't worth a DP spot (he has no other options, no one in MLS will give him a DP slot, and he's too old to make the transition to other leagues).

canadian_bhoy
03-24-2010, 07:20 AM
MLS Cup! Well done PB and all TFC FO for winning the bid.

This is great for the league, TFC and the city.

Will be great to have the supporters summit and talk with Don Garber.

Is this the time/year to push the organization of the new Supporters Shield (Flat's design???) A vote at the supporters summit and a new trophy in time for the 2011 season.

flatpicker
03-24-2010, 07:22 AM
MLS Cup... Outside in Toronto in late November.
This could be interesting.

People watch outdoor sports in the cold and snow all the time.
If the Brits can go to soccer games in blizzards, then so can we.
NFL fans bundle up all the time to watch their teams play in winter weather.

We'll be alright.

McBrace
03-24-2010, 07:24 AM
How will tickets be sold for the MLS cup? Any insight?

FluSH
03-24-2010, 07:28 AM
I'd imagine the changes to the DP rule will involve two things:

1) A team's DP now only counts as a 200k cap hit towards your roster (this enables teams who can afford a DP, but can't afford the cap hit, to sign a DP player, even if he's only making 500-600k)

2) Team's get another DP.

And will other teams be able to do it? Probably not, and that's the point. MLS is seeing new teams coming in and making a profit right away, but then you have teams like Toronto finishing last. They know they need to keep those fans excited if they want to usher in a new era into MLS (with sell out teams and people treating it like a sport). That means helping their big market/profitable teams a little bit (without throwing parity out) by allowing them to sign another good player.

The problem for us is, if those changes were made, we wouldn't be getting a world class striker (which, to be fair, is exactly what we need) in. Instead we'd probably give the second DP to DeRo. Sure, it would save 200k in cap space, but DeRo, at his age, just isn't worth a DP spot (he has no other options, no one in MLS will give him a DP slot, and he's too old to make the transition to other leagues).

I still find it unreal that only two teams made a profit last year... that is disturbing... How long will this league be sold as a welfare league? No wonder we are not gaining any ground in the U.S. TV markets... Only 2 out of 16 teams made a profit and one of those teams is outside of the U.S. WTF!

Mark in Ottawa
03-24-2010, 07:29 AM
People watch outdoor sports in the cold and snow all the time.
If the Brits can go to soccer games in blizzards, then so can we.
NFL fans bundle up all the time to watch their teams play in winter weather.

We'll be alright.
I'm not so worried about the fans.
They should be able to prepare and adapt.

The players? Well I'm sure many have played in inclement conditions before so I guess they will just have to adapt as well.

I am old enough to remember those Grey Cup games when players wore broomball shoes or shot industrial staples thru the soles of their shoes for traction on a frozen surface. But of course those were them old days... I'm sure modern fields are better engineered.

Steve
03-24-2010, 07:36 AM
I'm not so worried about the fans.
They should be able to prepare and adapt.

The players? Well I'm sure many have played in inclement conditions before so I guess they will just have to adapt as well.

I am old enough to remember those Grey Cup games when players wore broomball shoes or shot industrial staples thru the soles of their shoes for traction on a frozen surface. But of course those were them old days... I'm sure modern fields are better engineered.

Pfft, the Canadian national team played a game in a blizzard in (Latvia? Estonia? I can't remember...) a year or two ago. The players should be fine, it will just separate the euro players from the latin players. If a team with a lot of mexican/south american players makes the final, they may have a rough time. Luckily, none of our players are from south america, so we're pretty much a lock on the MLS cup....

Technorgasm
03-24-2010, 07:38 AM
HE VERDICT: Make no mistake, the Crew were upset in the first round of last year’s playoffs, but that is in no way a sign of decline. The nucleus of a team that finished first overall is still intact. The Crew does not have a top-end striker, but with Argentine vet and 2008 MLS MVP Guillermo Barros Schelotto coming back for another season and with Chad Marshall, the best defender in the league, anchoring the back line, there’s no reason to think the Crew will slide anytime soon.

*sigh*
CAN we pot one at crew stadium?
COME ON OWN GOAL !

Menelaos
03-24-2010, 07:40 AM
I think the teams will make the investment in order to attract more people. Just as Beckham helped in LAX and Blanco did in Chicago, I am sure Henry and/or Raul would help too.

You have to spend $ to make $.

canadian_bhoy
03-24-2010, 07:41 AM

I'm pretty sure that Seattle included it in the season ticket package. Maybe that's why TFC is waiting to send out our ticket packs - they are going to give them to us for free as part of the season ticket pack.
(stop laughing!)

Auzzy
03-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Congrats on hosting the final! Probably MLSE hopes that the host city gets a bye to the final... ;)

I just wish it was in a year where I felt there was a remote chance of our team taking part. Oh well.

Steve
03-24-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that Seattle included it in the season ticket package. Maybe that's why TFC is waiting to send out our ticket packs - they are going to give them to us for free as part of the season ticket pack.
(stop laughing!)

That will be more difficult for TFC obviously. The problem is, We have 17000 season tickets and 22000, that leaves only 5000 free. How many need to be saved for MLS officials, sponsors, fans of other teams, etc. There is probably a rule on that, we just don't know what it is. Seattle had the obvious advantage of being able to just open up more of their stadium, so all of their season seat holders could get in.

Essentially, MLS wants this to be an event where fans from all teams can attend if they want to, with Toronto making up the remainder. I just don't know if 5000 is enough to satisfy all of those demands. If not, you might not even get the option to buy your seat (though season seat holders would get first dibs on seats in general).

Nuvinho
03-24-2010, 07:51 AM

guaranteed seats first, sponsors, fan base for teams in the finals, other teams allocation, then TFC season ticketholders.

ManUtd4ever
03-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Lots of interesting news today. I'm excited about the MLS cup in Toronto although it could be terrible timing if TFC shits the bed this season. I'm encouraged by the pending announcement regarding the DP rule. I foresee 2 DP slots per team which will provide a slight edge to the most profitable teams in the league, as it should be. I am not content with the roster update for TFC. It appears that Saric and Cann will be the only trialists signed which would still leave gaping holes on the roster. Preki must be banking on the belief that Barrett and Peterson will come back off of injury in top form. I was hoping for an unexpected signing prior to the 5pm deadline today in light of the additional cap space allowed under the new CBA...

canadian_bhoy
03-24-2010, 07:54 AM
That will be more difficult for TFC obviously. The problem is, We have 17000 season tickets and 22000, that leaves only 5000 free. How many need to be saved for MLS officials, sponsors, fans of other teams, etc. There is probably a rule on that, we just don't know what it is. Seattle had the obvious advantage of being able to just open up more of their stadium, so all of their season seat holders could get in.

Essentially, MLS wants this to be an event where fans from all teams can attend if they want to, with Toronto making up the remainder. I just don't know if 5000 is enough to satisfy all of those demands. If not, you might not even get the option to buy your seat (though season seat holders would get first dibs on seats in general).

I was half joking. I don't really expect TFC to include it in the season package. My real hope is that they would do something similar to what they did for the All Star game (if I remember correctly we got the option to get all star tix with our season pack or opt out).

My prediction is that the game will be completely outside the season ticket package. Tix will go on sale with the STH's given the opportunity to buy their seat.

I'd like to see this match. I may sit in another section though. Maybe on the west or east side to get a better view of the game.

Nuvinho
03-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Lots of interesting news today. I'm excited about the MLS cup in Toronto although it could be terrible timing if TFC shits the bed this season. I'm encouraged by the pending announcement regarding the DP rule. I foresee 2 DP slots per team which will provide a slight edge to the most profitable teams in the league, as it should be. I am not content with the roster update for TFC. It appears that Saric and Cann will be the only trialists signed which would still leave gaping holes on the roster. Preki must be banking on the belief that Barrett and Peterson will come back off of injury in top form. I was hoping for an unexpected signing prior to the 5pm deadline today in light of the additional cap space alloted under the new CBA...

2 DP slots just means that DeRo gets his wish. I don't think we will bring in another DP, this will really make DeRo unhappy.

Menelaos
03-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Wouldn't make DeRo that unhappy if we brought in someone else to help us win ;)
The $ can come later. He is smart enough to realize that giving him the DP wouldn't help this team.

Redcoe15
03-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Toronto to host 2010 MLS Cup___:scarf::party::scarf: (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/toronto-to-host-2010-mls-cup/article1510006/)

:prrr:

The way things are going right now, Toronto would miss the playoffs - AGAIN!!! - and Columbus would be using TFC's dressing room at BMO Field in November.

:prrr: :prrr: :prrr:

ManUtd4ever
03-24-2010, 08:05 AM
2 DP slots just means that DeRo gets his wish. I don't think we will bring in another DP, this will really make DeRo unhappy.

In the short term yes but long term this development should help clubs like TFC, Seattle, LA, NY, etc...

Nuvinho
03-24-2010, 08:19 AM
from goff:

*MLS issued a clarification on the new roster and salary guidelines: Each club may have between 18 and 20 players on the senior roster, each of whom will count toward the $2.55 million salary cap. Clubs may have up to four players that do not count against the cap (Generation adidas players or those earning the $40,000 minimum). In the event MLS expands rosters for the purpose of a reserve division, additional players will be known as "apprentices" and earn $31,250. Also, as I understand it, homegrown players (signed from a club's academy) are exempt from roster and salary rules.

DangerRed
03-24-2010, 08:31 AM
“As a group, right now, we're not very easy to play against,” explained the Toronto coach. “We don’t give too many things away; the teams that we played against, they found it really hard to [score against us].

I guess he forgot the Red Bulls match a few weeks ago.

ua-kozak_TFC
03-24-2010, 08:38 AM

well because then mo can claim that he actually fullfilled his plan of 5 years ... we will have an MLS cup kinda...:picard:

SoccMan
03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
I don't know what to make of the coment by Garber about only two teams made a profit last year. If you were to look at the other North American sport leagues or even other soccer leagues throughout the world you would be surprised to learn how many teams do not make a profit. Moreover, even the MLS teams that are not making money, how much money can they be possibly losing, probably not much if you compare it to say how much money teams like the Phoenix Cayotes, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators or even the Portsmouths of the world are loosing, it's peanuts compared to some of these organizations.

spark
03-24-2010, 09:07 AM
No major gossip, but Robbo shares his thoughts on the move to NYRB, the situation there and time with TFC.

CARL ROBINSON INTERVIEW (http://www.rednationonline.ca/podcast.shtml#carl)

JuliquE
03-24-2010, 09:08 AM
I couldn't be more elated that the MLS Cup is coming here.

Sure.. there's the potential embarrassment of us not making the post-season, but this may also act as a lift -- a point of encouragement to put it all out there on the pitch, every match day.

Here's hoping that this will not only affect the drive of our players, but that the entire organization will do everything it can to bolster our chances (new signings; i.e. another DP, etc.).

Tschuess.

flatpicker
03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
^ Pretty good point actually.

Lord knows, Toronto needs something to pull these guys together!
Perhaps having the Cup Final at home might inspire them.

drewski
03-24-2010, 09:24 AM
No major gossip, but Robbo shares his thoughts on the move to NYRB, the situation there and time with TFC.

CARL ROBINSON INTERVIEW (http://www.rednationonline.ca/podcast.shtml#carl)

he said he would have been willing to fill in at CB if asked but neither Mo nor Preki ever asked. So instead of keeping some depth with a great team player we're paying part of his salary to play with NYRB :rolleyes:

Shaughno
03-24-2010, 09:26 AM
No offense, but I'd rather spend $350k on Said playing at CB than $300k on Robbo at CB.

menefreghista
03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
We should have tried to host the MLS Cup in 2011, when we might actually have a shot at making it.

By the way, anyone who thinks this is being included in your season ticket package is living in a dream world.

It will be sold separately. Sure, you will get first dibs on your seats.

Parkdale
03-24-2010, 09:33 AM
...but this may also act as a lift -- a point of encouragement to put it all out there on the pitch, every match day..

that would be nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk4sdzm9LEQ

^ go watch this video of THE WHITE JERSEY (go watch it on Youtube because it's HD)

qk4sdzm9LEQ

drewski
03-24-2010, 09:48 AM
No offense, but I'd rather spend $350k on Said playing at CB than $300k on Robbo at CB.

none taken. :) though IMO, given our current depth, I'd rather pay Robbo $300k to play anywhere for us than pay $100k+ to play for NYRB

woolly
03-24-2010, 09:49 AM

That would have been nice, but apparently we get neither.

Nick Garcia FTW???

:cries::facepalm:

Parkdale
03-24-2010, 09:51 AM

what's the expression... A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

ua-kozak_TFC
03-24-2010, 10:04 AM
that would be nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk4sdzm9LEQ

^ go watch this video of THE WHITE JERSEY (go watch it on Youtube because it's HD)

qk4sdzm9LEQ
WOW who does TFC have as a jersey designer?? Someone who is colour blind? No colour coordination what's so ever... a black collar looks so OFF on a white shirt... I was really looking forward to this white jersey. Gotta say I am disapointed YET again... I gotta say that every season thus far the jerseys have disapointed... Some have been decent. But nothing really great... I think this white one is probably the worst one.:facepalm:

FluSH
03-24-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't know what to make of the coment by Garber about only two teams made a profit last year. If you were to look at the other North American sport leagues or even other soccer leagues throughout the world you would be surprised to learn how many teams do not make a profit. Moreover, even the MLS teams that are not making money, how much money can they be possibly losing, probably not much if you compare it to say how much money teams like the Phoenix Cayotes, Florida Panthers, Nashville Predators or even the Portsmouths of the world are loosing, it's peanuts compared to some of these organizations.

The differance between the other leagues in the world is that they have a captive audiance... Footy is #1 there (whereever you are from)... We aren't even playing second, third or fourth fiddle...

flatpicker
03-24-2010, 10:13 AM
WOW who does TFC have as a jersey designer?? Someone who is colour blind? No colour coordination what's so ever... a black collar looks so OFF on a white shirt... I was really looking forward to this white jersey. Gotta say I am disapointed YET again... I gotta say that every season thus far the jerseys have disapointed... Some have been decent. But nothing really great... I think this white one is probably the worst one.:facepalm:

Did you even read the "white jersey" thread?

It was said numerous times... the collar is grey! ... as in TFC dark grey.

jloome
03-24-2010, 10:15 AM

I really like it. To each their own, I guess.

Parkdale
03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
WOW who does TFC have as a jersey designer??

ummm.... some company called Adidas. Not really sure who they are, or what they've done. Probably somebody's nephew running a company out of his garage.

flatpicker
03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
ummm.... some company called Adidas. Not really sure who they are, or what they've done. Probably somebody's nephew running a company out of his garage.

Wait... aren't Adidas those guys selling shirts from the back of their van just north of the GO Station by BMO?

ua-kozak_TFC
03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Did you even read the "white jersey" thread?

It was said numerous times... the collar is grey! ... as in TFC dark grey.
It looks black though... It really makes no difference... it still looks odd. Dark grey or black it's just as ugly...

flatpicker
03-24-2010, 10:17 AM
^ to each their own... I dig it.

menefreghista
03-24-2010, 10:18 AM
In all likelihood this is a cookie-cutter Adidas jersey.

flatpicker
03-24-2010, 10:19 AM
In all likelihood this is a cookie-cutter Adidas jersey.

Well, I would be surprised if Adidas said, "Hey, that Toronto team needs something completely unique from the rest of the world. Get our design team working on something just for them!".

:D

keem-o-sabi
03-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Coed girls 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/03/23/miss-coed-christine-mendoza/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/03/12/alice-eves-maxim-covershoot-is-todays-daily-snapshot/)

[NBF]
03-24-2010, 10:27 AM

WTF, is this like a copy of the Manchester United 1998 jersey? Also, the fabric is garbage, it seems like they used fabric from a bunch of failed running shirts no one bought.

The reason I say it looks like a 1998 style is because this thing just looks like its suppose to fit like an oversized shirt. it does not look like its something custom fitted and of quality.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zBCW4_T3hVQ/SFTVAy-dAjI/AAAAAAAABBk/XnbwdzGosPo/s320/DSC00496.JPG

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-24-2010, 10:31 AM
wonder what the prices will be for the MLS CUP?

James17930
03-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah -- the white doesn't look so hot.

and is that a felt crest again?

Don Julio
03-24-2010, 10:44 AM
But Garber said he was assured by MLSEL executive VP Tom Anselmi that the weather should be decent.

I don't know which part of that sentence I should laugh at first.

Eastend
03-24-2010, 10:49 AM
There's plenty to learn from Gerba situation:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/james-on-soccer/theres-plenty-to-learn-from-gerba-situation/article1510506/

James17930
03-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Us getting MLS Cup was a fait acompli.

Now if only TFC can use that as motivation to actually get to the game . . .

drewski
03-24-2010, 11:06 AM
;944937']WTF, is this like a copy of the Manchester United 1998 jersey?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zBCW4_T3hVQ/SFTVAy-dAjI/AAAAAAAABBk/XnbwdzGosPo/s320/DSC00496.JPG

EXCELLENT POINT!

maybe its not so bad afterall :D

olegunnar
03-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't know which part of that sentence I should laugh at first.

I guess he has short term memory loss.
Nov 21 2008...the high was -3.6 ....the high.

scut farkus
03-24-2010, 11:13 AM
MLS Cup in Toronto confirmed?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/toronto-to-host-2010-mls-cup/article1510006/
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/784488--signs-point-to-mls-cup-game-in-toronto

Darlofletch
03-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Really, MLS’ major concern continues to be the weather. A late November evening off the shores of Lake Ontario will present challenges. But Garber said he was assured by MLSEL executive VP Tom Anselmi that the weather should be decent.

Other people beat me to it, damn work, but yep, this amused me greatly. Mlse controls the weather now?

Brooker
03-24-2010, 11:43 AM
predicting a club that has never played a competitive game to finish 3rd in the East is insanity.... but I suppose you have to put them in somewhere if you're going to do a prediction list that nobody will remember or revisit.

romburgundy
03-24-2010, 11:54 AM
After being sent home from the preseason training camp in Charleston, striker Ali Gerba was not training with the team in Oakville. "He's not in our plans and hopefully he can make a decision and we can both move in the right direction. We evaluated it as a staff after five weeks of preseason and feel that we want a different kind of player."

One who runs and stuff..

Yohan
03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
predicting a club that has never played a competitive game to finish 3rd in the East is insanity.... but I suppose you have to put them in somewhere if you're going to do a prediction list that nobody will remember or revisit.
still holes in Philly squad, but we'll have to wait and see... Nowak is putting together a decent squad, and Nowak is a pretty decent manager

Darlofletch
03-24-2010, 12:12 PM
This is a good example of something that got complained about before, but why was the mls cup thread that oblio started shut down in favour of this, which is a mish mash of mls cup, new kit, season predictions and everything.

This is too busy of a news day to be trying to focus things in this one place, surely the mls cup announcement is big enough to warrant it's own thread. no?

edit: nevermind, there is another thread out there specifically for that. Me so lazy.

drewski
03-24-2010, 12:22 PM

kinda like how Seattle finished 3rd in the West last year? only 2 pts outta top spot in the league? and 1 win away from most wins?

spark
03-24-2010, 12:23 PM
still holes in Philly squad, but we'll have to wait and see... Nowak is putting together a decent squad, and Nowak is a pretty decent manager

Yeah I also agree - 3rd is a massive stretch considering the IMO DC and KC have upgraded their squads quite a bit and look to be more balanced. If Twellman plays this year then NE is in there too. I think they will be battling the bottom half of the division, mostly at the bottom.

rocker
03-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Philly has a weird schedule though.. not sure what to think of having all those road games to start the season (demoralizing if they lose a lot???) and then a massive number of home games in the second half... is that good or bad??? one thing's for sure, it'll be hard to measure them during the season based on standings alone... they could be totally out of it thanks to all those road games and then come back at the end with all the home games.

It's also an interesting season now that we have a balanced schedule. I always wondered in a tight league how fair it was that you played extra games against different teams than the ones you were fighting with for a playoff spot (east vs west).

Nuvinho
03-24-2010, 01:18 PM
GOL TV Canada will be showing #MLS (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS) season opener: Seattle v. Philadelphia on Thursday night. Sched http://bit.ly/bJ4TMz (http://bit.ly/bJ4TMz)

James17930
03-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't think Sandor quite knows what he's on about in that preview.

Nuvinho
03-24-2010, 03:09 PM
hmmm........a trade? a signing?

The Houston Dynamo will make a major player announcement at a press conference following their training session on Thursday, March 25

Yohan
03-24-2010, 03:22 PM
hmmm........a trade? a signing?
either the stadium deal thing, or one of their many decent, but expendable defenders getting moved...

Pachuco
03-24-2010, 03:24 PM
either the stadium deal thing, or one of their many decent, but expendable defenders getting moved...

It says "player announcement". Maybe a DP?

Pachuco
03-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Breaking News:

The Houston Dynamo have managed to trade Adrian Serioux back to Toronto. The Dynamo will receive a 1st round pick and allocation money.

Nuvinho
03-24-2010, 03:27 PM
It says "player announcement". Maybe a DP?

Isn't Landin their DP.

Pachuco
03-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Isn't Landin their DP.

They can always make moves for a second one. major player announcement really sound like DP stuff to me.

EDIT: Also the DP rule apparantly changed. Maybe they are taking advantage of the rule right away. I don't even know "how" the rule changed.

Yohan
03-24-2010, 03:30 PM
They can always make moves for a second one. major player announcement really sound like DP stuff to me.
that'll be most well kept secret signing of MLS ever lol

TERSIGNI
03-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Can anyone confirm this; I thought a dp cap hit counted 400-thousand, not 200-thousand as stated earlier. Also; i though de-ro was making 400-thousand or something like 360-thousand. If my numbers are correct, a second dp would be huge for toronto...

Yohan
03-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Can anyone confirm this; I thought a dp cap hit counted 400-thousand, not 200-thousand as stated earlier. Also; i though de-ro was making 400-thousand or something like 360-thousand. If my numbers are correct, a second dp would be huge for toronto...
it's 415k for first DP and 335k for 2nd one

DeRo is making 357k based salary

TERSIGNI
03-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Then a second dp as rumoured today would be positive for toronto as it would remove 415-thousand of DeGuzmans salary off the books. That would allow toronto to sign a better than average player

S_D
03-24-2010, 06:32 PM

Was Said signed? I have lost a few days since last weekend lol.

The only trialists still with the team are Argentine midfielder Martin Saric and Canadian defender Adrian Cann. After training, TFC coach Preki talked about his hopes of signing the duo:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100323&content_id=8884300&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

rocker
03-24-2010, 06:32 PM

if you sign a DP at midseason it's half price, so 200K.

ArmenJBX
03-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Houston just released Wade Barrett as well...

David Trezeguet maybe?

Detroit_TFC
03-24-2010, 08:37 PM
The white away kit - I like it, but the felt badge again... WTF, adidas? It's mindboggling to have it, get rid of it, then to bring it back again.

Brooker
03-25-2010, 07:48 PM
kinda like how Seattle finished 3rd in the West last year? only 2 pts outta top spot in the league? and 1 win away from most wins?

Nobody saw that coming. Do you honestly think The Union stand a good chance at finishing 3rd? and Philadelphia started from scratch.... I don't see the connection?

Batman
03-25-2010, 07:56 PM
The white away kit - I like it, but the felt badge again... WTF, adidas? It's mindboggling to have it, get rid of it, then to bring it back again.

ya, I thought it looked like the cheeseball felt one. ugh.