PDA

View Full Version : MLS players being released

ArmenJBX
03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
MLS teams are dumping their players, so I thought we could see who becomes free, and perhaps find good players for TFC.

Players that have been released:

-Alex Grendi, Columbus Crew
-Cory Elenio, Columbus Crew
-Bright Dike, Columbus Crew
-Jon Busch, Chicago Fire
-Greg Dalby, Colorado Rapids
-Pat Noonan, Colorado Rapids
-Carey Talley, Chivas USA
-Danny Szetela, DC United
-Christian Gomez, DC United
-John DiRaimondo, DC United
-Dave van den Burgh, FC Dallas
-Steve Purdy, FC Dallas
-Erik Ustruck, Houston Dynamo
-Wade Barrett, (Retired)
-Michael Kraus, Kansas City Wizards
-Gabriel Badilla, New England Revolution
-Raphael Cox, Real Salt Lake
-Antonio Ribeiro, San Jose Earthquakes
-Mike Graczyk, San Jose Earthquakes
-Simon Elliott, San Jose Earthquakes
-Chris Eylander, Seattle Sounders
-Brian Edwards, Toronto FC

This, obviously, is in direct response with the whole guaranteed contract issue which was addressed in the new CBA. Do you guys think TFC will dump any players (Do we even have the numbers to do so?) or will we pick up any of these players? I don't know about you guys, but those three released players would fit in with TFC. Busch is a solid keeper, Kraus is an alright striker, though not what we need, and Pat Noonan is a SOLID midfielder.

Discuss here, and updates will be provided as other teams release players.

Yohan
03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Pat Noonan, on form, would be awesome. About 1 goal every 3 games goal ratio in MLS.
Problem is, after coming back from his stint from Europe, he never got his groove back. I think he also had a huge injury which took him off his game. Plus a 175k salary

Though considering lack of choices lately, I'd give Pat Noonan a shot but not at guaranteed contract...

jloome
03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
MLS teams are dumping their players, so I thought we could see who becomes free, and perhaps find good players for TFC.

Players that have been released:

-Jon Busch, Chicago Fire
-Michael Kraus, Kansas City Wizards
-Pat Noonan, Colorado Rapids

This, obviously, is in direct response with the whole guaranteed contract issue which was addressed in the new CBA. Do you guys think TFC will dump any players (Do we even have the numbers to do so?) or will we pick up any of these players? I don't know about you guys, but those three released players would fit in with TFC. Busch is a solid keeper, Kraus is an alright striker, though not what we need, and Pat Noonan is a SOLID midfielder.

Discuss here, and updates will be provided as other teams release players.

Unless they've switched his role since he got back from Europe, Pat Noonan is a forward, not a midfielder, and not a very good one.

Yohan
03-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Unless they've switched his role since he got back from Europe, Pat Noonan is a forward, not a midfielder, and not a very good one.
oh c'mon man. 169 MLS games, 45 goals as AM/2nd striker. not worth a look?

TFCRegina
03-23-2010, 10:51 PM
I think we should go after some CSLers at this point...at the very least we can't say we'd be surprised if they failed...

Auzzy
03-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Just read the news release about Michael Kraus. "Kansas City Wizards roster now at 24-player limit required by MLS."

:jaw:

Yohan
03-24-2010, 12:20 AM
interesting blog about Danny Szetela who got waived by DC (ignore the fact that it's by one idiot Crew supporter. lol)

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=6650

torfchamilton
03-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Carey Talley waived by Chivas!!! He played CB and one of Preki's players

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/03/24/1846759/noonan-talley-waived-in-further-mls-cuts

drewski
03-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Carey Talley waived by Chivas!!! He played CB and one of Preki's players

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/03/24/1846759/noonan-talley-waived-in-further-mls-cuts

"lack of pace"...sounds like a perfect fit with Garcia

MG42
03-24-2010, 08:35 AM

funny, I remember him as an AM...but you're the pro so I'll take your word for it.

Shaughno
03-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Pretty sure he was always a forward, but from what I remember, he likes to play out wide and hold the ball up for his teammates more than actually going for goal himself.

I guess a supporting striker/second forward is a better description.

torfchamilton
03-24-2010, 10:05 AM
"lack of pace"...sounds like a perfect fit with Garcia

Sounds Great!! We took the Gerba and Garcia package at over $400k. I wouldn't be surprised if the price is right if he played under Preki in the past. I guess we will see what happnes by Saturday

jloome
03-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Pretty sure he was always a forward, but from what I remember, he likes to play out wide and hold the ball up for his teammates more than actually going for goal himself.

I guess a supporting striker/second forward is a better description.

That seems to be it, at least since he got back from Europe. Before he left, Yohan's right, he looked like one of the most dangerous young players in the league.

Peaked early, I guess. Hasn't looked much since being back.

jloome
03-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Carey Talley is a dangerous pickup. He's got a good rep for his defensive skills, but has been in the league a long time. Players from the early years of MLS were excelling at a generally lower overall standard of football than teams are demanding now. Same with Garcia.

rocker
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
interesting blog about Danny Szetela who got waived by DC (ignore the fact that it's by one idiot Crew supporter. lol)

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=6650

interesting paragraph in that blog entry.... looks like Preki comes from the Sigi school of roster management:

In this case, Sigi didn't just clean house, he blew the damn thing up. And it wasn't because they were all lousy or that he just wanted his own guys instead. Rather, his goal was to obliterate the previous team culture and the quickest and easiest way to do that was to ship everybody out. It was bloodletting on a massive scale. When he got done there were only four guys on the roster who had been there the previous season (and one of them was a surgery case who didn't get back on the field for two years).

rocker
03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Houston lets Wade barrett go

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6928593.html

ArmenJBX
03-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Holy crap, Wade Barrett!?

Would be an excellent signing!

Yohan
03-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Holy crap, Wade Barrett!?

Would be an excellent signing!
for a year, maybe 2. he's 33

you can add jon conway to your list btw

DigzTFC!
03-24-2010, 07:27 PM
D.C. UNITED-Waived MF John DiRaimondo

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5ipW8LQ-WKI7EzFvP65lGjSlNvmPA

DigzTFC!
03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Defender Gabriel Badilla has been waived by the Revolution

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/blog/

Ossington Mental Youth
03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Badilla any good? worth picking up?

ArmenJBX
03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I signed him in FIFA 10 and he was pretty good, if that's any indication.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-24-2010, 08:15 PM
HAHA not really i wonder if we'd have to trade for him or whatever

ArmenJBX
03-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Right now, anything is better then Garcia, so Badilla sounds alright :D

Nuvinho
03-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I saw a few others who are over 30 and make over $100K that maybe released Ugo Ihelemu (sp?) the defender from Dallas maybe? If you go through the MLS salaries pdf file you can see all the players who may get released over the next day or so.

Yohan
03-24-2010, 08:38 PM
jimmy, you forgot 3 from SJ btw

also Chris Eylander (SEA), Eric Ustruck (HOU)

Yohan
03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Badilla any good? worth picking up?
Costa Rican international defender who got 8 games in 2 yrs under Nicol. You be the judge. (And MLS played a hefty transfer fee for him too)

Now NE is bringing back Khano Smith. Sounds like Mo Johnston-esque move by NE lol

Phil
03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
I signed him in FIFA 10 and he was pretty good, if that's any indication.

Garcia is my best defender in fifa 10....

so no. :D

Jeffro
03-24-2010, 09:18 PM

lol yeah and Gerba leads my league in scoring hahaha

TFCRegina
03-24-2010, 09:28 PM

Please note that doesn't mean he's any good ;)

If your defenders were: Velez, Braz, Garcia and James, it'd be entirely possible that Garcia is the least crappy of them all. Note I said possible, not "is"

gkhs
03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Waived

Alex Grendi MF Columbus
Cory Elenio MF Columbus
Jon Busch GK Chicago
Greg Dalby MF Colorado
Pat Noonan FM Colorado
Carey Talley DM Chivas
Danny Szetela MF DC
John DiRaimondo MF DC
Erik Ustruck MF Houston
Wade Barrett DF Houston (NB Barrett retired to join the coaching staff)
Michael Kraus FW Kansas City
Gabriel Badilla DF New England
Antonio Ribeiro MF San Jose
Mike Graczyk GK San Jose
Simon Elliott MF San Jose
Raphael Cox DM Salt Lake
Chris Eylander GK Seattle

These guys were cut (were not under contract)
Bright Dike FW Columbus (Most absurd name in history; hope we sign him just so I can buy the jersey)
Steve Purdy DF Dallas

Section225
03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Dave van den Bergh has also been waived by FC Dallas

...depending on how much he's going for, could be a great addition, but then again with the current state of TFC anyone would be!

Saturday 4 pm ->:drinking::drinking::drinking:

gkhs
03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
FWIW, my list above only includes players waived in the last week or so.

If it were expanded beyond that, it would have players released weeks ago (like Kevin Harmse) or months ago (like Van den Bergh).

Yohan
03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
how is this for random thought?

Christian Gomez. Got released by DC and still free agent. yeah, he's old as hell, but good for 1 season at reduced contract? gotta find someone to replace Guevara...

Section225
03-25-2010, 09:57 AM
FWIW, my list above only includes players waived in the last week or so.

If it were expanded beyond that, it would have players released weeks ago (like Kevin Harmse) or months ago (like Van den Bergh).

Van Den Bergh was released months ago by Dallas? Link please?

gkhs
03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Van Den Bergh was released months ago by Dallas? Link please?

Tiny bit inaccurate, on my part, his option was declined months ago, he has been in limbo since.

ESPN (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=760003&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901)

In November, FC Dallas decided not to exercise its unilateral option on van den Bergh, who had commanded a well-above-average salary but also came second in the league in assists, was vital in his team's last-ditch run on the postseason and played in every game. Yet it made him no offer. It was well within its rights to do so. Van den Bergh hadn't meshed well with coach Schellas Hyndman, who had also announced his intention to build a younger team, seemingly dooming the 33-year-old van den Bergh.

So van den Bergh, one of the league's most recognizable players, won't be saved even by the re-entry draft as it is allegedly retroactive only to players dropped since Feb. 1, 2010. Van den Bergh's option was dropped in November. He's stuck.

"He is the last guy hung out to dry out there and it's unfortunate," Conrad said of van den Bergh. "We tried to solve all the problems."

gkhs
03-25-2010, 12:51 PM
FWIW, I posted to my blog about some of the waived players (http://socceruntothedogs.blogspot.com/2010/03/say-hello-waived-goodbye.html), and whether they might fit with TFC.

Pachuco
03-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I think Van den bergh would be a great addition. He'd give us the width we need. He'd be an automatic starter on this team.

Whoop
03-25-2010, 01:11 PM
DVB would cost $$$ which we don't have.

Pachuco
03-25-2010, 01:14 PM
DVB would cost $$$ which we don't have.

Maybe not if he's having trouble finding a team no? If we don't have $ to sign VDB then how in the world is the team going to get any better from the state it's at now?

jloome
03-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Maybe not if he's having trouble finding a team no? If we don't have $ to sign VDB then how in the world is the team going to get any better from the state it's at now?

If we're at that point, we might as well re-sign Ronnie O'Brien as well, since he's been out of a contract for two years and would probably come cheap.

People are going to have to accept that thanks to Mo's poor cap management, we'll have to shed more than we gain to increase competency on the pitch.

ag futbol
03-25-2010, 04:19 PM
how is this for random thought?

Christian Gomez. Got released by DC and still free agent. yeah, he's old as hell, but good for 1 season at reduced contract? gotta find someone to replace Guevara...
All depends on the price but i wouldn't be opposed to this. Great player when he's playing well. Much rather have him than Saric.

Too bad Wade Barrett is hanging them up. He`d still be a great player in this league imo.

gkhs
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Unfortunately, he is absolutely not having trouble finding a team. Several teams want him, FCD hasn't found a deal they are happy with.

Nuvinho
03-25-2010, 04:30 PM
DCU probably going to sign Talley.

polak9pete
03-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Christian Gomez signed with Miami FC today.