PDA

View Full Version : Address from the Commish 2pm. CBA related

kodiakTFC
03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
2pm Garber is doing a live press conference, which will be on the website, and he'll discuss the new CBA as well as the season opener.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-23-2010, 09:35 AM
cant imagine theres alot more to what we already know

drewski
03-23-2010, 10:07 AM
early april fools! there's no CBA, enjoy the extended offseason! hahahaha

Lucky Strike
03-23-2010, 12:04 PM
early april fools! there's no CBA, enjoy the extended offseason! hahahaha

Insert "Price is Right" losing tune.

tfc2007
03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
which website will this be on?

Alonso
03-23-2010, 12:15 PM
2pm Garber is doing a live press conference, which will be on the website, and he'll discuss the new CBA as well as the season opener.

There's nothing on the TFC website about this and its 45 min to 2pm?

MG42
03-23-2010, 12:16 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/index.jsp

Boondaddy
03-23-2010, 12:27 PM
MLS (http://twitter.com/MLS)

CBA details being released shortly incl 10.15% increase of the salary budget. Tune in to the Commissioner's call at 2 pm ET on MLSnet.com.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm hoping there's some details about the reserve and academy leagues that were speculated on early in the week.

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
sportsnetsoccer (http://twitter.com/sportsnetsoccer)

Details of MLS CBA announced. Minimum salary goes from 34K last yr to 40K this yr

SoccerInsider (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider)

#MLS (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS) labor deal: guaranteed contracts for all players at least 24 years old and with 3 years service in league.

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
SoccerInsider (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider)

As reported here Saturday, salary cap goes up about $200,000 this season. It will increase 5 percent per year thereafter #mls (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23mls)

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 12:55 PM
from Ives:

MLS announces details of CBA

Major League Soccer announced the key details of the Collective Bargaining Agreement it signed with the MLS Player's Union on Saturday.
Here are some of the key elements:

The MLS salary cap will increase from $2.315 million to $2.55 million and will increase by %5 each season thereafter.
MLS will establish a Re-Entry Draft. Players eligible for the draft include those whose options were not exercised, those whose contracts were terminated and those whose contracts expired.
Player Contracts will now have a limit on the number of option years they can have. The limit is two option years for players who are at least 25 and have four years of MLS service. All other contracts can have up to three option years.

Players whose annual compensation is less than $125,000, the minimum base salary increase will be %10 for players who play in at least 66 percent of his club's games and 12.5 percent for players who play in at least 75 percent of club's games.
Increases in 401K contributions by the league, appearance fees, per diem and relocation expense reimbursement. Among the addtional player benefits in the CBA are full health care benefits for every player and his family at no cost, 401K contributions and expanded insurance benefits.
Bonuses for wins and exhibitions. The CBA includes a package of bonuses for wins in MLS games and international tournaments, as well as appearance fees for international exhibitions.
The sides reached an agreement on an extension of the Group License that will run through 2015.
The sides will establish a joint committee to study the re-launch of a Reserve Division. In the event the rosters are expanded, the salary for those players will be a minimum of $31,250, with additional annual increases.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
? After 2pm now and nothing seems to be happening on the MLS site. Now there's some classical music.

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
we are on hold.....the don is late!!

MG42
03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
click on the story header...there's no video, it's a conference call over the phone that we get to listen in on....ughhhhh

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 01:05 PM
The Don speaks!!

rocker
starting now

MG42
the Don is on!

nascarguy
Garber is like mo full of shit

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 01:07 PM
thanks to Obama MLS players get healthcare as well.....hahaha!!!

Parkdale
03-23-2010, 01:08 PM

I see your trip to Carolina mellowed out your anger. :D

rocker
03-23-2010, 01:08 PM

you're just so loveable nascarguy

Super
03-23-2010, 01:10 PM
So is Garber also going to announce his new $3 million salary as well?

DreFuss
03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
The feed sounds like he's out in space.

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
what happens to the players that are released out of contracts this year? I don't think the re-entry draft will happen for 2010 season...so are those players shit out of luck?

Super
The thought of all this parity is making me yawnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Give us 3 DP's slots. Shake things up!

rocker
anyone have the official press release Garber just referenced?

rocker
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
The thought of all this parity is making me yawnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Give us 3 DP's slots. Shake things up!

you want us to have even less of a chance this year? ;)

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 01:16 PM
anyone have the official press release Garber just referenced?

its not on the website yet.

rocker
03-23-2010, 01:16 PM
answered my own question:

PRESS RELEASE
NEW YORK (Tuesday, March 23, 2010) – Following Saturday’s announcement of a new collective bargaining agreement between Major League Soccer (MLS) and the MLS Players Union (Players Union), the League today announced key elements of the five-year agreement.
Under the new collective bargaining agreement, player salaries are guaranteed to increase each year league-wide, and the individual minimum player salaries also will continue to grow. The new agreement also includes improvements to players’ quality of life such as meals, hotel accommodations, reimbursement for relocation costs and player appearances.
The agreement is subject to the approval of the MLS Board of Governors and the membership of the Players Union.
The following are the key points agreed to by MLS and the Players Union in their new five-year collective bargaining agreement:

TERM: 2010 – 2014.

GUARANTEED CONTRACTS: The CBA provides for guaranteed contracts for all players who are at least 24 years old with three years of MLS service. The majority of the players in the League will have guaranteed contracts each season.

· SALARY BUDGET: An increase of the salary budget from $2.315 million per club in 2009 to $2.55 million in 2010 (10.15%) and an increase of 5% per year thereafter.
· An increase of the minimum salary for senior roster players from $34,000 in 2009 to $40,000 in 2010 (17.64%) and an increase of 5% per year thereafter.

PLAYER MOVEMENT: While there will be no bidding by MLS clubs against each other for out-of-contract players, the League will establish a “re-entry draft” for players who are out of contract. Although the specific parameters of that draft are being finalized, it will address players in each of the following categories:

Option Not Exercised

A player who is at least 23 years old with three years of MLS service and whose option is not exercised will be placed in a re-entry draft and made available to all clubs at his option salary.

Contract Terminated

A player who is at least 22 years old with one year of MLS service and who is asked to take a pay cut after contract termination will be placed in a re-entry draft and made available to all clubs at his current salary.

Contract Expires

A player who is at least 30 years old with eight years of MLS service and whose contract has expired will be placed in a re-entry draft unless his team makes him a qualified offer that must be at least 105% of his last salary. If placed in the re-entry draft, the player will be made available to all clubs at a salary equal to 105% of his last salary.
A player who is at least 25 years of age with at least four years of MLS service whose contract has expired will be placed in a re-entry draft unless his team offers him a base salary of at least as much as the base salary paid to him in the last year of his contract. If placed in the re-entry draft, the player will be made available to all clubs at a salary equal to the salary in the final year of his contract.

OPTIONS IN PLAYER CONTRACTS: A limit on the number of options in player contracts to two for players who are at least 25 years old with four years of MLS service. Contracts for all other players may have up to three options.

For players whose annual compensation is less than $125,000, the minimum increase in base salary will be 10% for players who play in at least 66% of his club’s games and 12.5% for players who play in at least 75% of his club’s games.

· PLAYER BENEFITS: The CBA includes a package of benefits that include increases in 401K contributions by the League, appearance fees, per diem when travelling and relocation expense reimbursement. Among the additional player benefits in the CBA are full health care benefits for every player and his family at no cost, 401(k) contributions and expanded insurance benefits.
· BONUSES FOR WINS AND EXHIBITIONS: The CBA includes a package of bonuses for wins in MLS games and international tournaments as well as appearance fees for international exhibitions.

GROUP LICENSE: The League and Players Union reached agreement on an extension of the Group License that will run through 2015 (a year longer than the CBA).

RESERVE DIVISION: MLS and the Players Union will establish a joint committee to study the re-launch of a Reserve Division. In the event the rosters are expanded, the salary for those players will be a minimum of $31,250 with additional annual increases.

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
from the score (the press release):

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2010/03/23/cba-details-press-release/

Super
03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
you want us to have even less of a chance this year? ;)

Hey, maybe we won't have a chance, but at least the league will be worth watching.

rocker
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Hey, maybe we won't have a chance, but at least the league will be worth watching.

why would I want to watch other teams if my team isn't as good because they can buy inequality?

Yohan
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
what the hell is group license?

bgnewf
03-23-2010, 01:28 PM
what the hell is group license?

Image rights I guess. The league and union need to have an arrangement to use the images of the players in marketing and advertising.

Super
03-23-2010, 01:30 PM
why would I want to watch other teams if my team isn't as good because they can buy inequality?

Do you eat the same food every day? Do you enjoy the same vacation spot every time? I like variety. Also, I take it you're not a fan of football outside of the parity-ville that is the MLS? To each their own. When the MLS is watched and followed by the world we'll have it right. Till then we should perhaps try and learn from others on how to build an exciting league.

Super
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Garber: "It's possible we might increase the number of designated players" ... "More than one per team".

There's a bit of hope right there.

Parkdale
03-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Garber: "It's possible we might increase the number of designated players" ... "More than one per team".

Dero and Co. are happy about that.

Yohan
03-23-2010, 01:38 PM

cap not big enough to support 2 DPs per team IMO

Super
03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Dero and Co. are happy about that.

It would definitely be good for the league to have more high profile players come over here to play. Again, not just thinking about this in terms of what is good for TFC - because we'd probably screw it up even if we were the only team allowed 10 DP players - but what is good for the league as a whole, and how to make us seem less like a joke internationally. This would be a proper step in the right direction.

Super
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
cap not big enough to support 2 DPs per team IMO

Yes, which is why they would have to not go towards the cap. I know this has been discussed quite a bit here and there, and I'm sure Garber is on board with this as well should they increase the number of DP's per team.

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
dobson is on.

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Toronto is a good prospect for MLS Cup

Yohan
03-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes, which is why they would have to not go towards the cap. I know this has been discussed quite a bit here and there, and I'm sure Garber is on board with this as well should they increase the number of DP's per team.
cheap ass owners are going to shut up DPs not counting towards the cap

2 DPs per team without counting towards salary cap has potential to severely ruin parity

although if this goes through, it'd open up a lot of cap room for other signings

rocker
03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
wow garber just laid a beat down on DC politicians.....

Shway
03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
quiet frankly i dont want to host it this year!
escpecially if its looking like we dont have a chance of making the plays offs

give it to RBA

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Garber interrupted for another phone call, "Tell him I'm on a media conference call".

Super
03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
cheap ass owners are going to shut up DPs not counting towards the cap

2 DPs per team without counting towards salary cap has potential to severely ruin parity

although if this goes through, it'd open up a lot of cap room for other signings

And severely slice off the Mickey Mouse ears of this league.

Pigfynn
03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
I LOVE the idea of 2 DPs not counting against the cap. Give the other spot to Dero (as previously promised) and use the new cap space to get 2-3 players and take our chances. I cool with that...can we do that Don?

Yohan
03-23-2010, 01:58 PM
And severely slice off the Mickey Mouse ears of this league.
perhaps. but it's merely wishful thinking on your part

the entire CBA drama has proven that cheap ass owners are willing to fight tooth and nail for parity

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 01:58 PM
We love soccer as per Garber.......no wonder he is the commish!!

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Still need to resolve roster size? WTF?

Nuvinho
03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
they may have a roster less than 24.....shouldn't this stuff be already known.....

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-23-2010, 02:02 PM
That and they need to clear up what they mean with this Homegrown player rule. League starts play in two days and they don't have their roster rules finalized yet?

ACSertL
03-23-2010, 02:03 PM
The one thing I saw on the press release that I really am in favour of is a return of a reserve division, or at least the potential for it to return.

rocker
03-23-2010, 02:10 PM
wait, Garber just said the 2 homegrown players are included in the 24, not beyond the 24 on the roster.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-23-2010, 02:14 PM
^ sounds 20 regular spots +2 GA + 2 Homegrown. He contradicted himself several times when talking about the roster size in relation to the last four spots.

Lucky Strike
03-23-2010, 02:26 PM
So studying the possibility of re-establishing the reserve league means it won't be in for 2010 surely.

rocker
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
^ sounds 20 regular spots +2 GA + 2 Homegrown. He contradicted himself several times when talking about the roster size in relation to the last four spots.

yeah I guess we wait and see when the details emerge...

somebody on big soccer said the "lowest 4 salaries don't count against the cap" which makes no sense based on what he said about all 24 players counting against the cap... unless he means that roster spots 21, 22, 23, 24 are ONLY for GA and homegrown players... We know GAs don't count against the cap already... But if true, it means teams cannot sign 24 senior players in the old sense... 20 max, and then up to 4 more of these other kinds. IN the end though, nobody can make less than 40K, even those last 4 dudes.

I remember when those DEV guys could earn as low as 12000 or so.. those dudes just saw a 333% increase in pay.

Nuvinho
03-24-2010, 08:18 AM
from goff:

*MLS issued a clarification on the new roster and salary guidelines: Each club may have between 18 and 20 players on the senior roster, each of whom will count toward the $2.55 million salary cap. Clubs may have up to four players that do not count against the cap (Generation adidas players or those earning the $40,000 minimum). In the event MLS expands rosters for the purpose of a reserve division, additional players will be known as "apprentices" and earn $31,250. Also, as I understand it, homegrown players (signed from a club's academy) are exempt from roster and salary rules.