PDA

View Full Version : Given our current squad depth.....

jloome
03-22-2010, 02:53 PM
....and general reviews of his play as a professional (google him and you'll find lotsa info), I found this painful and ironic:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/62777/dagostino-michael/default/2009/leistungsdaten.html

What, not even a trial?

Nuvinho
03-22-2010, 02:56 PM
We have to pay his parking ticket fine...that was the deal breaker.....$30.

ManUtd4ever
03-22-2010, 02:58 PM
We have to pay his parking ticket fine...that was the deal breaker.....$30.

LOL!

Shaughno
03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Man... I've been pondering this for ages! I've seen him play once or twice and he was fairly solid, at the very least, better than any winger we currently have... oh wait, do we have a winger? :rolleyes:

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2010, 03:03 PM
All jokes aside, he would have been a nice trial. BUT, there are a couple things to consider here:

1. Does he even want to come here? He's only 22, I'd probably wants to try and make it in Europe (especially if he's worth 450k Euros!!!).

2. With the convoluted rule set, it's possible that someone else in MLS managed to get a discovery claim in on him first, and has his rights. I doubt they'd let him trial for us without first making a trade.

Always things to consider when it comes to freely available canadians. The fact that he hasn't gotten a sniff (from what I can tell) over there (released in December) would suggest he'd be a great trialist for us, at least to keep his fitness up. The fact that he hasn't would suggest that one of the two above aren't fitting in (or, Mo is a retard).

rocker
03-22-2010, 03:05 PM
What, not even a trial?

the assumption of such a question is that he wasn't offered a trial.

Shaughno
03-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Buddy of mine used to play with him before he went to the States and said he's a fairly smart player, nothing too flashy but gets the job done.

Wooster. Worst case scenario, you ask the guy for a trial and he says no. Best case, we get a solid Canadian pickup.

rocker
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Nick Dasovic would know better than we would... he coached D'Agostino.

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Buddy of mine used to play with him before he went to the States and said he's a fairly smart player, nothing too flashy but gets the job done.

Wooster. Worst case scenario, you ask the guy for a trial and he says no. Best case, we get a solid Canadian pickup.

As stated above, you assume he wasn't offered one. Plus that only works for #1 I posted, #2 you can't even talk to him.

TFC barely communicates what trialists are present with the team, let alone everyone they've offered a trial to. If they talked about the trialists that haven't come, that would be silly in my mind, because it pulls away from the players that are actually here and fighting for the team and can become a hugely unnecessary distraction.

flambe
03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
not sure we need another $1M midfielder.

DangerRed
03-22-2010, 03:26 PM
....and general reviews of his play as a professional (google him and you'll find lotsa info), I found this painful and ironic:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/62777/dagostino-michael/default/2009/leistungsdaten.html

What, not even a trial?

You're aware that there are salary caps in the MLS, right?

menefreghista
03-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Its pretty obvious TFC doesn't need players.

We are going to show the world 16 is enough.

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Its pretty obvious TFC doesn't need players.

We are going to show the world 16 is enough.

16 != 19

Shaughno
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
You guys realize that's his TRANSFER value right? Like as in, $1M in transfer fees... if he was signed to a club. Which, he's not.

Maybe he was offered a trial. Given our situation and Mo's player selections... I'd warrant a guess that they didn't offer him a trial.

Why wouldn't he accept the trial, even if it was just to keep up the training and raise his name up in the footy community. Like how other players have been using us to secure deals in Europe. See Kiki, Dickov, etc. etc. etc.

menefreghista
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
16 != 19

Thanks for the math lesson.

19 isn't enough either. Particularly when injuries, players who are AWOL and sending guys home for 'lack of performance' means that if the season started today we wouldn't even have a full bench. I'm sorry, but that is not acceptable.

But its obvious you are content.

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2010, 04:01 PM
We have 2 open international spots, and 3 canadians. What do you want to do with those? Sure, let's sign Edgar, D'Agostino and Jamie Peters all at once. Realistically there's not much we can do.

While I would like to have Hemming, Pozniak, Harmse, or Rosenlund filling out those 3 Canadian spots, do they really rank as starters? Decent bench guys and fringe players are all they are. We have to be realistic.

Who are we going to put in those 2 international spots? Sure I'd love Said, but apparently he was looking for a 350k cap hit, which is WAY too much to pay for a centre back in my opinion. Maybe the reason he was played out of position so much was that Preki wanted to see if he could do something that was worth that 350k. Turns out he couldn't. All of the striker trialists that came out were apparently inept. Kayizzi would have been an awesome signing, but who's to say he wasn't asking for DP level money? If Kiki Musampa was asking for 2 million a year when he was trialing, I'd assume Kayizzi would be at least looking for a quarter of that.

We have to come to terms with the reality that Mo/Carver/Cummins have screwed us into a terrible cap situation, and that injuries and malcontents are going to be an issue this year. The players we are looking to sign have to be in the 100-200k range, in order to fill out our roster.

I'm not holding my breath for any Canadian signings outside of maybe Cann.

The other thing to ask is whether we would prefer Preki to keep the malcontents and have them cause problems, while trying to utilize them in support roles, or just get rid of them. I'm a fan of getting rid of them, even if it means a short bench. Preki will build his team how he wants it, and I'm sure there will be signings in the next couple of weeks.

Yohan
03-22-2010, 04:04 PM
speaking of Harmse, he's available to be claimed off waivers...

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2010, 04:08 PM

If the reports of why he left are true, his girlfriend would never let him come back...

ginkster88
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
16 != 19

16 players, two goalies, Emmanuel Gomez's status is unclear.

Chevy
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM

My lord, it has come to this??

If Harmse, Velez and Lombardo came back to the squad tomorrow I would honestly have to say that would be a positive development. :facepalm:

menefreghista
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
We have 2 open international spots, and 3 canadians.

Don't forget that one spot is being taken by Gerba.

So you think its fine that we start the season with 25% of our roster unfilled?

Why should be play catch up the first few weeks of the season?

Is it to much to ask to have a relatively set roster going into the season?

rocker
03-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe he was offered a trial. Given our situation and Mo's player selections... I'd warrant a guess that they didn't offer him a trial.

I'd guess since the guy who coached him on the U-23s is on our coaching staff, he is 1) on he radar, 2) offered a trial, OR 3) Dasovic doesn't think he's worth a trial.

I think that covers every possibility ;)

Anyhow, the dude's age and hobo resume make me wonder what's wrong with him.

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2010, 04:31 PM
You guys realize that's his TRANSFER value right? Like as in, $1M in transfer fees... if he was signed to a club. Which, he's not.

Why wouldn't he accept the trial, even if it was just to keep up the training and raise his name up in the footy community. Like how other players have been using us to secure deals in Europe. See Kiki, Dickov, etc. etc. etc.

What I meant by that comment was that anyone who's supposed to be worth a market value of 1 million is not going to come anywhere near MLS, especially at 22.

As I stated above, I'd be perplexed as to why he wouldn't accept it, which to me gives it a 50/50 chance as to whether it was actually offered.

rocker
03-22-2010, 04:37 PM
What I meant by that comment was that anyone who's supposed to be worth a market value of 1 million is not going to come anywhere near MLS, especially at 22.

how is that value determined?

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Don't forget that one spot is being taken by Gerba.

So you think its fine that we start the season with 25% of our roster unfilled?

Why should be play catch up the first few weeks of the season?

Is it to much to ask to have a relatively set roster going into the season?

We're stuck with the one spot that is occupied by Gerba (he's listed as part of the 19 but hey, maybe he'll get out of his contract, freeing us up some space :)), same as were stuck with Barrett and Peterson's (who both won't be available come the start of the season). While I agree that we should fill those spots, I don't know how we would.

I would love to have had our roster set at the start of pre season, rather than be scrambling now. But, this is Preki's team now, if the comments and interviews that have been coming out of TFC camp are any indication, and he's going to build it up as he sees fit. At the same time, he's going to give players who are currently under contract a fair shake, which I would argue he has.

It is definitely not too much to ask to have a full roster going into the start of the season. At the same time, would I prefer a full roster with the likes of Braz, Reda, Canizalez, Melo, Lombardo, Pozniak, Harmse, Rosenlund, and Hemming filling out the roster, or would I prefer TFC to target players that they actually want (and actually want to be there). I'll take the second option any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

I have full confidence that the 2 international spots, and likely 1 of the canadian spots will be filled before Saturday.

Wooster_TFC
03-22-2010, 04:39 PM
how is that value determined?

No clue, basing it entirely off of the link provided in the OP, which is what this discussion is based on.

ag futbol
03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
This is the type of move i'm in favor of.

Dejan Jaković was in a similar spot when he left Europe (ie totally out of favor with his club). You just need to convince these guys that it's better to come to MLS get some actual burn than sit on the bench in europe.

I think that argument gets better every year.

Yohan
03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
This is the type of move i'm in favor of.

Dejan Jaković was in a similar spot when he left Europe (ie totally out of favor with his club). You just need to convince these guys that it's better to come to MLS get some actual burn than sit on the bench in europe.

I think that argument gets better every year.
but that means Mo has to pay attention to Canadian players. can't have that.

I think guys like Reda, Braz and Canizalez really turned off Mo about Canadian players and Mo is filling out Cdn roster spots out of necessity, not really because he values Cdn players

rocker
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
but that means Mo has to pay attention to Canadian players. can't have that.

So you're saying he ignores the knowledge of his own Canadian staff members?

What about Adrian Cann?

Yohan
03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
So you're saying he ignores the knowledge of his own Canadian staff members?

What about Adrian Cann?
he's not ignoring the obvious ones with European ones but the Cdn players who are fringe, or lesser known seems to get missed

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-22-2010, 05:44 PM
For those interested here'sthe other Canadian players on listed on transfermarkt.de as "unemployed"

Rob Giacomi, Keeper, Cameron McKay, Keeper, Diaz Kambere, Defence,
Takura Mtandari, Defence, David Fronimadis, Defence, Alex Surprenant
Defence, Stephen Lumley, Defence, Marco Reda Defence, Kevin Harmse
Defence, Jamie Dodds, Midfield, Kennedy Owusu-Ansah, Midfield, Félix Brillant Jr., Midfield, Rhian Dodds, Midfield, Michael D'Agostino, Midfield, 23
David Simpson Knight, Forward, Sita-Taty Matondo, Forward, and Dylan Hughes, Forward.

Couple names on there that might be worth a spot, particularly if there's still dev. spots on the roster (conflicting info. about that floating around). I'd like to see Kennedy Owusu-Ansah land with TFC, intrigued by Takura Mtandari, a former Spurs reserve player, and always though Alex Surprenant looked the business in the CSL.

ag futbol
03-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I'd be interested to see what happened to KOA. Last i saw him he was at least better than Gala...

I was a little suprised Alex Surprenant got let go back the impact. Maybe there's a future for him at TFC if we have a reserve division.... but unlikely on the regular roster.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Kennedy Owusu-Ansah trailed with the Finnish team Monslave is on, but it doesn't look like he got offered a spot. He really needs a team, he's going to from bright young thing to dud pretty soon if doesn't land somewhere.

deschamp86
03-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Shaun Saiko should be offered a trial as well. He was with Houston but I don't think anything came of that.

felipe
03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Rhian Dodds is getting a little older - from what I know of him, I imagine he'd be a little like Paul Daglish was with Houston...certainly capable, maybe a little slow, and of course, Dalglish was a striker wasn't he? And Dodds is more of an attacking midfielder (central)...

Interesting Giacomi is without a squad - he was with Rangers for quite awhile..but we already got 2 solid keepers and another still on trial

And D'Agostini you would think would be worth a look at the least...

I'd love to get Harmse back...just to watch him cleave opponents down...

But really, are any of these guys stars or starters? We already have a bunch of bench guys - its the starters we need to find

Viruk42
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Interesting Giacomi is without a squad - he was with Rangers for quite awhile..but we already got 2 solid keepers and another still on trial

It'd be smartest of TFC to have at least 1 Canadian keeper. There's not much point in wasting an international spot on a guy who never plays, unless there's an injury or too many games close together. If they can decide between Frei and Edwards, they should find a decent Canadian backup, then trade whoever they don't want starting. It may not save much money, but slots are equally important.

James17930
03-23-2010, 08:31 PM
De Guz sounds right pissed about 'the numbers' in his newest TFC:TV interview. He mentions it about five times.

Seems like this is going to be the latest 'big problem' not only for Mo but for the players too.

flambe
03-23-2010, 09:46 PM
De Guz sounds right pissed about 'the numbers' in his newest TFC:TV interview. He mentions it about five times.

Seems like this is going to be the latest 'big problem' not only for Mo but for the players too.

Agreed, Mo's shortcomings are obvious even to the players.

Notice DeRo didn't mention it once, unlike him not to vocal about things like this.

Preki made mention of how disciplined we were defensively.
Aside from the red cards, eh Preki?

Yohan
03-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Preki made mention of how disciplined we were defensively.
Aside from the red cards, eh Preki?
as long as the lads get it out of their system now, and not get red carded during reg games...