PDA

View Full Version : Garcia makes Big Apple soccer's list of over-rated players

Oldtimer
03-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Nick Garcia (Toronto FC) - Garcia makes a hefty salary by MLS standards but has gotten a step slower with each passing year. In addition, his ability to tackle cleanly has eroded and his talents going forward were always minimal. Garcia should be grateful that there is a limit on international players in MLS. Otherwise, he would be unemployed.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/columns/mytwocents.php?article_id=22976

GabrielHurl
03-22-2010, 01:26 PM
telling us nothing we didn't know already

P-NUTZ
03-22-2010, 01:28 PM
hilarious. i was in a garcia bashing moment and googled images under his name. after several pages it is shocking how many images of him have him elbowing, tripping, falling, poor tackling, blindsiding, closing his eyes etc...pictures are worth a thousand words and this speaks volumes of his worth.

Brooker
03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
http://redstarkc.com/uploads/nick_garcia.jpg

He still couldn't keep up. Look at him, so intimidated.

Stouffville_RPB
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Garcia should be grateful that there is a limit on international players in MLS. Otherwise, he would be unemployed.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/columns/mytwocents.php?article_id=22976

Or on the only roster where he is still considered an international.

mastermixer
03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Or on the only roster where he is still considered an international.

Doh! :facepalm:

Pookie
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
This must be an honour for Mo. In the first season, 2 of his decisions made it into ESPN's Top 5 Overpaid list (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=524551&cc=5901 ).

The legacy continues.

Top 5 Overpaid
Carl Robinson, Toronto, $330,000
Dema Kovalenko, RSL, $207,618
Ramiro Corrales, San Jose, $202,500
Colin Samuel, Toronto, $193,000
Conor Casey, Colorado, $190,008

Yohan
03-22-2010, 02:02 PM
This must be an honour for Mo. In the first season, 2 of his decisions made it into ESPN's Top 5 Overpaid list (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=524551&cc=5901 ).

The legacy continues.

Top 5 Overpaid
urm. that list is from 2008. I don't think Conor Casey is overpaid, if last year is any indication

rocker
03-22-2010, 02:04 PM

The legacy continues.

Top 5 Overpaid

The author includes:

Daniele Dichio (165,625)

rocker
03-22-2010, 02:08 PM
urm. that list is from 2008. I don't think Conor Casey is overpaid, if last year is any indication

Ya, 27 league goals in two years is pretty darn good and probably good enough that you wouldn't worry about the cost. Casey is making up for costing a lot in 2007 tho... I guess that's what the author is looking at.

But now he's a bargain at 190K compared to Juan Pablo Angel, for example, who makes close to 2 million I believe. Over 2008 and 2009 seasons Casey had 27 goals while Angel had 26.

P-NUTZ
03-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Houston's Ching on Garcia: "They (San Jose) got a dummy in the centre of their defence, and that just gives us motivation to score goals on them...they (San Jose) have an idiot on their team. The guy is probably one of the dirtiest players in the league...I wanted to blow them out."

Result: HOU 3 - SJ 1

CretanBull
03-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Who's over-rating Garcia? We all think that he's shit!

menefreghista
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM

Maybe people don't think he's shit enough, LOL.

drewski
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM

The legacy continues.

Top 5 Overpaid

you forgot Danny aka Daniele Dichio (165,625)

MartinUtd
03-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Mo Johnston

cochrdoc
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Boys the shit is going to start on Saturday and probably all season.I wonder how many times he screws up before he doesn`t.WE had an international in camp last week and we don`t even play him in his position for the tournament.I don`t know why we had him here.Mo should bring in John Terry in to solve our goalscoring problems and play him forward.Mo must like shit.Garcia you are shit.

Yohan
03-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Yohan's List of Most Overrated MLS players (that is still in MLS this season)

The players on this list aren't necessarily bad. They are just overrated IMO. So take it for what it's worth.

Criteria
-Overall performance in goals & assists, as well how much impact the player has on team
-Salary
-Position
-Hype factor

Forward
*Clint Mathis
*Fredy Montero
*Macouma Kandji
*Sebastien Le Toux
*Pat Noonan
*Brian Ching
*Josh Wolff
*Edson Buddle
*Clint Mathis
*Jaime Moreno

Midfield
*Javier Morales
*Arturo Alvarez
*Bobby Convey
*Ramiro Corrales
*Freddie Ljungberg
*Dane Richards
*Fred
*Sasha Klejstan
*Emmanuel Ekpo
*Davy Arnaud
*Ante Razov
*Carl Robinson
*Jamie Smith
*Peter Vagenas

Defender
*Jim Brennan
*Nick Garcia
*Marvell Wynne
*Gregg Berhalter

Goalkeeper
*Joe Cannon

Section 117
03-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Yohan IMO I would take Ching and Montero off your list. Besides that bang on

Redcoe15
03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
http://redstarkc.com/uploads/nick_garcia.jpg

He still couldn't keep up. Look at him, so intimidated.

:smilielol5::hurray:

ManUtd4ever
03-22-2010, 03:36 PM
What kills me the most about this dead weight otherwise known as Garcia is that we're hamstrung with him on the roster because of his ridiculous salary being thrown into the deal with SJ in order to acquire the rights to Gerba, who is now in limbo. In essence, MoJo gave up a draft pick for absolutely nothing. At the very least, given the circumstances, Preki has to bury Garcia on the bench until his contract expires and allow Gerba to try and play his way into form...

Yohan
03-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Yohan IMO I would take Ching and Montero off your list. Besides that bang on
Brian Ching IMO is a product of good coaching system. Without Kinnear, Ching I dont think would be as effective. Being surrounded by good teammates, he benefits from good supply.
He's a good player, but not a great player IMO. Most target man rarely are, but it just feels like Ching isn't a game changer by himself.

Montero had awesome first half, but terrible 2nd half. I think he scored what, 2 goals all 2nd half and him and Freddie's ineffectiveness is why Seattle tanked early in the playoffs

Yohan
03-22-2010, 03:39 PM
What kills me the most about this dead weight otherwise known as Garcia is that we're hamstrung with him on the roster because of his ridiculous salary being thrown into the deal with SJ in order to acquire the rights to Gerba, who is now in limbo. In essence, MoJo gave up a first round pick for absolutely nothing. At the very least, given the circumstances, Preki has to bury Garcia on the bench until his contract expires and allow Gerba to try and play his way into form...
uhm. no first round pick was involved in garcia trade

ManUtd4ever
03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
uhm. no first round pick was involved in garcia trade

My bad, it was a 3rd round pick...

rocker
03-22-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree that Ching is overrated. at nearly $250K he makes a lot of money for someone who is inconsistent as a striker. He's great in that system of course... but you can't guarantee ten goals from him each year yet he gets national team looks all the time.

Montero is overrated according to the hype he received at the start of last season.
I predicted 8-10 goals... but most were predicting 18-20 (somebody I remember said even more than that last year!). But he scored 12 in the end. That's solid, and good for the salary price, but it's not world beating... it's a lower strike rate than in Colombia. Some said MLS was actually an easier league and he would increase that rate. Well he didn't, mainly because he seemed unable to deal with the power and strength of MLS players after teams realized they could scare him with physicality.

ag futbol
03-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Yohan's List of Most Overrated MLS players (that is still in MLS this season)

The players on this list aren't necessarily bad. They are just overrated IMO. So take it for what it's worth.

Criteria
-Overall performance in goals & assists, as well how much impact the player has on team
-Salary
-Position
-Hype factor

Forward
*Clint Mathis
*Fredy Montero
*Macouma Kandji
*Sebastien Le Toux
*Pat Noonan
*Brian Ching
*Josh Wolff
*Edson Buddle
*Clint Mathis
*Jaime Moreno

Midfield
*Javier Morales
*Arturo Alvarez
*Bobby Convey
*Ramiro Corrales
*Freddie Ljungberg
*Dane Richards
*Fred
*Sasha Klejstan
*Emmanuel Ekpo
*Davy Arnaud
*Ante Razov
*Carl Robinson
*Jamie Smith
*Peter Vagenas

Defender
*Jim Brennan
*Nick Garcia
*Marvell Wynne
*Gregg Berhalter

Goalkeeper
*Joe Cannon
I dunno. I'll admit what's "overrated" is subjective but i'm generally not buying into this.

There's a lot of guys on that list, who nobody actually rates. I mean there aren't too many LAG fans who'd actually call Gregg Berhalter, Buddle, or Peter Vagenas great players. Same with guys like Noonan and Wolf. That's why i'd call the premise that Garica is overrated kind of dumb. Who in MLS has actually rated Garcia? He was shit prior to coming to Toronto ... it's not like anyone is surprised.

I don't know if you'd say a lot of these guys are overrated, but rather slumping. Put Klesjian, Montero's 2nd half of the season, Fred (with injury issues), Richards etc.. in that camp.

There are a few names there that definitely need to be dropped. Jamie Moreno is not over rated. Everyone knows he's past it and moves at a snails pace, but he's still good for a few goals. People rate him, because in his day he was prolific, without a doubt. I would take Arnaud and probably Morales off there as well.

Yohan
03-22-2010, 06:33 PM
I dunno. I'll admit what's "overrated" is subjective but i'm generally not buying into this.

There's a lot of guys on that list, who nobody actually rates. I mean there aren't too many LAG fans who'd actually call Gregg Berhalter, Buddle, or Peter Vagenas great players. Same with guys like Noonan and Wolf. That's why i'd call the premise that Garica is overrated kind of dumb. Who in MLS has actually rated Garcia? He was shit prior to coming to Toronto ... it's not like anyone is surprised.

I don't know if you'd say a lot of these guys are overrated, but rather slumping. Put Klesjian, Montero's 2nd half of the season, Fred (with injury issues), Richards etc.. in that camp.

There are a few names there that definitely need to be dropped. Jamie Moreno is not over rated. Everyone knows he's past it and moves at a snails pace, but he's still good for a few goals. People rate him, because in his day he was prolific, without a doubt. I would take Arnaud and probably Morales off there as well.
if i have another few hours to kill, I'll give a reasoning why each player I think is overrated (salary and role given in the team has big factor in my criteria)