PDA

View Full Version : No More Friendlies!!!!!!!

bgnewf
03-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Today the Philly Union announced they will be playing Valencia in a mid season friendly later in the summer. And of course TFC will have at least one or more friendlies later this season as well I would guess.

I for one think this practice needs to stop. Friendlies in the North American context DO NOT WORK!

Pre season friendlies in Europe are used to tune up the club for the season ahead, just like the Carolina Challenge Cup. No self respecting European club would ever schedule a friendly in the middle of a competitive season would they? They know fans would not stand for it and would consider it nothing but a cash grab. It also has an impact on the competitive standing of the club with the risk of injuries being high in a meaningless match.

Remember the tail skid we went on after Ronnie O'Brien (arguably our best player at the time) went down against Aston Villa?

Since we operate on a different schedule than Europe this practice needs to end. Period.

Thoughts anyone?

flambe
03-22-2010, 10:52 AM
No self respecting European club would ever schedule a friendly in the middle of a competitive season would they?

Nope, but unfortunately this ain't Europe, and $ talks.

Yohan
03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I think Mo would get fired first before TFC stops with midseason friendlies

torontocelt
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by bgnewf http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=941354#post941354)
No self respecting European club would ever schedule a friendly in the middle of a competitive season would they?

Nope, but unfortunately this ain't Europe, and $ talks.

Yep they do, normally they are testimonials for players who have served for 10 years or so.

Yeoman
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
didn't manu last season fly to dubai to have a friendly out there in janurary? could of sworn they have done it before.
though i do agree with the principle of the message.

boban
03-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Disagree.
Friendlies please.
At least a break and we get to see some degree of quality.
Plus, the game don't grow without them.

canadian_bhoy
03-22-2010, 10:58 AM
MLS is a tier two league.

Just like the Leafs playing an exhibition game in Sweden would be good for hockey over there, strong teams playing here are good for MLS, it brings more credibility to the league and is good exposure for TFC (to help attract players)

In reality, if we want to be a championship team, we should have the depth and skill to be able to play one of these games and still be successful. Playing Barcelona didn't keep Seattle out of the playoffs.

I like the friendlies, maybe it will lead to a partnership, a loan deal or maybe our players will just learn a little more about how the game is played at a higher level.

Besides, the way our roster is shaping up, playing a friendly may be the only bright spot of the season for us.

Footnote - It's not like MLS is the only league that does this. I remember a few years back there was a charity match in madrid (I think) featuring Zidane and a host of top players at the time. It's part of promoting the game.

kodiakTFC
03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
For competitive reasons it sucks but for every reason its completely worth it.

1. exposure
2. money
3. recognition
etc

wzhxvy
03-22-2010, 11:00 AM
nothing to add other than fire MO !

deltox
03-22-2010, 11:02 AM
does every friggin thread that to include a "fire me" in some way.

we get it....you are pissed about him.

but lets not hijack every fucking thread

bgnewf
03-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I like the debate. Thanks all. But to me the competitive issue is key. In my eyes all else should become secondary to having the best product on the pitch competing for every league and cup game we are in. The risk of injury for nothing is too great to justify the cash grab and/or the exposure.

Pookie
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
While I agree with the sentiment, there are a couple of benefits for friendlies:

- the players have an opportunity to compete against a top flight club. Gala's goal against Real Madrid will be something he will remember forever

- on a selfish note, it gives me as a soccer coach an opportunity to bring my team to a game. While not the same atmosphere, getting group tickets for a regular season MLS game is hard to do.

- depending on the team involved in the friendly, it does give supporters living abroad a chance to see "their" club (eg. Chelsea, Real Madrid, etc)

James17930
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
didn't manu last season fly to dubai to have a friendly out there in janurary? could of sworn they have done it before.

Are you thinking of the Club World Cup?

Some might argue those are friendlies . . .

Stouffville_RPB
03-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I for one think this practice needs to stop. Friendlies in the North American context DO NOT WORK!

How much money was made off of the Real Madrid friendly? Ya I think that worked for MLSE.

Barrett scores a bunch in friendlies so they work for him.

Gala scored againist Madrid. So I guess they work for him.

Friendlies are really the only time Edwards sees the field.

Realistically since the reserve league stopped reserves really never have the oppurtunity to play. See Edwards, Gala etc. They need to get some actual game time.

Phil
03-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I like the debate. Thanks all. But to me the competitive issue is key. In my eyes all else should become secondary to having the best product on the pitch competing for every league and cup game we are in. The risk of injury for nothing is too great to justify the cash grab and/or the exposure.

These are the reasons that I am not a big fan of the friendlies. I want to see the team do well in games that matter and friendlies offer the risk of injury.

However I also see friendlies as a way to promote the sport in our country and it also brings in other clubs that we can form relationships with.

I am fine with friendlies, just dont put the league games at risk, make sure they are played as a friendly (lots of subs, no nasty challenges) and hopefully we are able to have a reserve team that can play these types of games.

canadian_bhoy
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Like I said before. If the squad is properly put together, it should be good enough to endure setbacks that occur during friendlies, poor referreeing, travel miles etc.

Also, I think the friendlies help (in a roundabout way) to make us more competitive. They create new relationships, new partnerships, new contacts that can (and should) lead to loans, signings, tactics, training techniques etc.

I'm not saying the injuries aren't a big concern, they have certainly hurt us before. But for the long term success of the club, the friendlies should be good for us.

And at the end of the day, It entertains the fans which should be top priority.

Another thing to note is that the player always rave about these matches. You never hear them complain about them. If there was anyone who's concern over these matches would be valid, it would be theirs. But they all seem thrilled with playing big opponents.

Section 117
03-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Actually, teams have friendlies in the middle of the seaon either during international breaks or during the christmas break.

I prefer them as we actually get to see quality players even if they are not 100%.

It is what it is

menefreghista
03-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Teams play friendlies during the season all the time, which has been mentioned above.

I hope our friendly this year is during that big break in June. Maybe a Saturday night game?

Beach_Red
03-22-2010, 11:15 AM
does every friggin thread that to include a "fire me" in some way.

we get it....you are pissed about him.

but lets not hijack every fucking thread

What's interesting for me is that in a thread about how the marketing department and the drive for profits actually run the team, we're still obsessed with middle-management.

MLSE have a lot of problems, but we never seem to care or want any substansive change - we're happy to rearrange the deck chairs as the ship goes down...

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 11:16 AM
how about this....

get TWO teams to play friendlies at the same time (neither one being TFC)

Imagine watching (just using teams that have been here in the past) Villa v. WestHam or RiverPlate v. Benfica.

olegunnar
03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
If the want to have a cash game, bring in two teams to play each other.

For example this year Valencia is playing Philly...why not bring Valnecia up here to play someone...like say Rangers or something.

2 International teams is a friendly I can live with. It also satisfies all growing the game stuff.

Having a real team come here in their pre-season and beat us is counter productive

Section 117
how about this....

Imagine watching (just using teams that have been here in the past) Villa v. WestHam or RiverPlate v. Benfica.

Great idea, but the problem is then you have to pay for both teams, which means the tickets would be through the roof

Pookie
^ I like that idea.

From a business standpoint though, it means a lower cut for our club.

That might be a dirty thing to say... profit... but I'm curious. Isn't it a good thing that the club is profitable (at reasonable ticket prices)?

If it were a money losing investment, we wouldn't have grass. Frankly, we wouldn't have a team.

Don Julio
03-22-2010, 11:21 AM
City played in Abu Dhabi in November, and played Barca (and won!) in a friendly a couple weeks into the season.

(And don't bother any jabs about 'self-respecting', thank you very much.)

I'm mixed about the mid-season friendlies. I enjoy them, but see the risk. When you look at the shit we're going to be watching all season, though, it's going to be supporters that need a break, not the players.

Nomad
I would have no issues with MLSE lining up two teams to compete at BMO to make money and promote the game...as long as TFC is not involved.

I don't see having a big club playing against TFC as promoting the club or sport. In fact i think it does a disservice as it reinforces the notion that TFC (and MLS by extention) is a minor league not worthy of attention. I personally have never met anyone who became a fan of the club because of atending a friendly match but i have heard people disparage the club because of it. It's just a simple cash grab for euro snobs, tourists who want to see a big name and TFC "supporters" who don't understand the meaning of the word (yes, i said it).

This on top of the risk of injury (and let's face it, it happens quite often) and the loss of focus for the task at hand (namely making the playoffs) have me opting out on these matches and i'll voice that opinion loud and proud until MLSE finally see the light.

olegunnar
how about this....

I agree...but I think the problem is...MLSE would have to pay 2 appearance fees.
If we use "our" team as the Washington Generals...it's "free".

edit: Man I type slow!

drewski
03-22-2010, 11:22 AM

sure they do.

real madrid played on in January

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/en/1202736707569/1202810158337/noticia/Cronica/Kaka_and_Benzema_ignite_Tirana.htm

Barca played one in december

http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/futbol/temporada_09-10/arxiu_partits/amistosos/kazma_fcb/partit.html

rocker
03-22-2010, 11:24 AM
i'm torn on these too.. hopefully someday as MLS expands we'll have more league games... and if the national championship expands, we'll have more of those games too. then we just won't have any room at all for friendlies.

i'm not concerned with the injury thing tho... just because a guy gets injured in a friendly isn't a criticism of friendlies. he could have got injured in the shower the next day... or in a regular league game... or on international duty... or in practice against some CSL punks. You can't say "no friendlies" just for risk reduction.

Alonso
03-22-2010, 11:24 AM
how about this....

^^^^ Yes, yes and YES.

Best of both worlds, everyone is happy.

drewski
03-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Like I said before. If the squad is properly put together, it should be good enough to endure setbacks that occur during friendlies, poor referreeing, travel miles etc.

Also, I think the friendlies help (in a roundabout way) to make us more competitive. They create new relationships, new partnerships, new contacts that can (and should) lead to loans, signings, tactics, training techniques etc.

I'm not saying the injuries aren't a big concern, they have certainly hurt us before. But for the long term success of the club, the friendlies should be good for us.

And at the end of the day, It entertains the fans which should be top priority.

Another thing to note is that the player always rave about these matches. You never hear them complain about them. If there was anyone who's concern over these matches would be valid, it would be theirs. But they all seem thrilled with playing big opponents.

I agree. they might not be ideal for the short term (ie. injuries), but long-term they are by far worth it.

canadian_bhoy
03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
how about this....

But I don't want to see those teams play each other. I want to see Toronto play.

Celtic played Benfica in the summer, tickets were $50 and the place wasn't very full at all.

People want to see their club play.

And I must say, it's nice to see so much common sense posting about friendlies - Braca playing in Dec...hmm interesting.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Great idea, but the problem is then you have to pay for both teams, which means the tickets would be through the roof

but people would pay (and it wouldn't be the $300 a season south end people buying it). Offer them first dibs, as that's only fair, and if they choose to pass on the tickets, sell them to someone else.

let's take a look over at our 'pals' in Montreal....

Bordeaux played a friendly with the Impact for the impact SSH, and then played the Trophée des Champions in montreal!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Troph%C3%A9e_des_Champions)

now that's something BIG! Imagine if we could host something like that at BMO!!!!

Alonso
03-22-2010, 11:31 AM
If the want to have a cash game, bring in two teams to play each other.

For example this year Valencia is playing Philly...why not bring Valnecia up here to play someone...like say Rangers or something.

2 International teams is a friendly I can live with. It also satisfies all growing the game stuff.

Having a real team come here in their pre-season and beat us is counter productive

Yes, as a TFC fan, the Real Madrid thrashing was embarassing. If Madrid actually tried for the whole game they could easily have doubled the goal total. I don't really want to see my team have their asses handed to them, how good can that be for team morale, even if it is just a friendly?

drewski
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes, as a TFC fan, the Real Madrid thrashing was embarassing. If Madrid actually tried for the whole game they could easily have doubled the goal total. I don't really want to see my team have their asses handed to them, how good can that be for team morale, even if it is just a friendly?

I really don't think its a huge impact to get your ass handed to you by the best players in thee world.

if you were on a non-pro soccer team and got to play and get BEATEN by TFC, would you be demoralized by getting beat by people you know are better or happy you got to play them? Personally, it would be the latter.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't really want to see my team have their asses handed to them, how good can that be for team morale, even if it is just a friendly?

and to be in cheered against while playing in your home field! That would add insult to injury.

and the Impact-Bordeax-Coup think I posted was to show that there's a compromise.
have TFC play someone in a friendly when time allows (like near the WC break)
and then have the friendly opponent play something meaningful.

The one thing about the MTL thing that bugs me, is now theres' a whole bunch of Girondins de Bordeaux support in Montreal, which makes me dislike them even more!!!

flatpicker
03-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I've always been in favour of the non TFC set-up.
I see Toronto play all year, and if foreign clubs are gonna visit, I'd rather they not play TFC.
Give Toronto a rest, and let the spectacle involve two other clubs.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I think the criteria for a 'successful friendly' are as follows:

a) no TFC injuries (even if it means not playing)
b) teams people actually care about
c) a high quality of play involving the team's A-squad
d) no schedule rearrangements that force TFC to play tired.

if those 4 items can be met, then I'm cool with a friendly.

Redcoe15
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
How much money did the game with Real Madrid make for MLSE?

If there's money to be made in staging friendlies, they'll be staged. I'll betcha the majority of fans that showed up just to see RM are soccer fans who wouldn't even bother giving TFC and MLS the time of day (season ticket holders don't count, you understand).

menefreghista
03-22-2010, 11:48 AM
How much money did the game with Real Madrid make for MLSE?

I think it made enough money that we will see a similar friendly this year.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I'll betcha the majority of fans that showed up just to see RM are soccer fans who wouldn't even bother giving TFC and MLS the time of day.

maybe of them were just 'Ronaldo Fans' or fans of the Portuguese National Team.
People can attend for whatever reason they like, and it's not fair for us to judge their motivations,
but you are right - most didn't leave the game with a desire to watch TFC play MLS games.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 11:51 AM
and I'm just going to point out.....

It's very easy to be against friendlies until YOUR team shows up.

Bloor West FC
03-22-2010, 11:55 AM
I like friendlies, I like to see the best teams face our own. We kept Benfica to a 0-0 tie, maybe they didn;t have there best guys out but it was still a good game.

It was only the RM that I regret it was nice to see them but horrible to see us. You would have thought that our GM (by the way he sucks and should get fired) would know where the changes would need to be made after watching this game. Well we suck vs other teams too. I think he's blind.

I like friendlies but also do wish they would be our off season games. Especially when our players have a chance to get injured.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I definitely agree id rather have the friendlies before or after the season but sadly

this ain't Europe, and $ talks.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
I definitely agree id rather have the friendlies before or after the season but sadly

after the season = December
before the season = March

both of which have a very high chance of... normal Canadian weather.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44307000/jpg/_44307014_ali_snow.jpg

Oldtimer
03-22-2010, 12:28 PM
It's always good if your team gets to play the best competition possible.

It's especially good when they play other CONCACAF teams. Those are the teams they will have to beat when they eventually get into the CCL again. At least some of our players are good enough that some of them will eventually be around, even if this year is a washout.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 12:32 PM
It's especially good when they play other CONCACAF teams. Those are the teams they will have to beat when they eventually get into the CCL again. At least some of our players are good enough that some of them will eventually be around, even if this year is a washout.

how about this..... if the team makes it into the group stages of concacaf, we'll have all types of extra games to play!!

I don't see Joe Public as a quality 'friendly' opponent.

fetajr
03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
I would rather have free beer vouchers instead of friendly tickets

Oldtimer
03-22-2010, 12:37 PM
how about this..... if the team makes it into the group stages of concacaf, we'll have all types of extra games to play!!

I don't see Joe Public as a quality 'friendly' opponent.

No one said it would be Joe Public (I sure hope it wouldn't be). A decent Central American side would do.

Oldtimer
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
I would rather have free beer vouchers instead of friendly tickets

Good side, you won't be worrying about how the team is playing! :drinking:

Mikey
03-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Today the Philly Union announced they will be playing Valencia in a mid season friendly later in the summer. And of course TFC will have at least one or more friendlies later this season as well I would guess.

Pre season friendlies in Europe are used to tune up the club for the season ahead, just like the Carolina Challenge Cup. No self respecting European club would ever schedule a friendly in the middle of a competitive season would they? They know fans would not stand for it and would consider it nothing but a cash grab. It also has an impact on the competitive standing of the club with the risk of injuries being high in a meaningless match.

Remember the tail skid we went on after Ronnie O'Brien (arguably our best player at the time) went down against Aston Villa?

Since we operate on a different schedule than Europe this practice needs to end. Period.

Thoughts anyone?

I dont think ML$E are ouuting on friendlies for TFC fans. It seems to be about finding 20,000 new mugs for a one off game at a bajillion dollars a ticket, while only having to pay a single team fee. We have grass for TFC matches now, because that's simpler than putting it in for a friendly each time, so there are some minor positive knock on effects for TFC.

Whether or not it's a good thing for TFC doesn't come into it. It's a good thing for ML$E.

P-NUTZ
03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
we also used to get this included in our season pack, but they gouged us on the RM game. So they have options to throw us a crap friendly for free against a junk team, and charge us up the arse for a proper team. either way friendlies are are awesome to watch, and good tonic for the local club. I just dont want to pre-pay for any more crap, and would like a better "season ticket holder" price for a quality opponent.

cuecas_red
03-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Think Dubai does have a tournament every year or they did a few years back with 4 teams and the winner got something like $1 million

Think some of the teams that have gone in the past were Milan, Benfica, Hamburg, Marseillle

Don Julio
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Like it or not, the Real Madrid friendly was the biggest PR event for TFC to date, getting most of the GTA talking about the team for a few days. You can't buy that kind of publicity - never mind the fact the club profited from it.

There will be friendlies.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Like it or not, the Real Madrid friendly was the biggest PR event for TFC to date, getting most of the GTA talking about the team for a few days. You can't buy that kind of publicity - never mind the fact the club profited from it.

um... yes they did. That's exactly what they did.

but yes, I agree it was a lot of positive press for the club, and I know it's important for the club to get good press (because it's not like their are many articles on them winning games)

drewski
03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
um... yes they did. That's exactly what they did.

but yes, I agree it was a lot of positive press for the club, and I know it's important for the club to get good press (because it's not like their are many articles on them winning games)

infact, i think the only TorontoFC news to gather anywhere near the same attention was the incident in Columbus, and it was anything but positive

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 01:50 PM
infact, i think the only TorontoFC news to gather anywhere near the same attention was the incident in Columbus, and it was anything but positive

we got a fair bit of new when we won the Voyagers Cup last year, if only because it was a national story and a 6-1 score is pretty uncommon.

olegunnar
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM

That's right.

However there's a massive difference between a friendly against RM, United or Barca...and a friendly against Pachuco or Villa.

I'm not sure it's a fair argument to say...RM was a success therefore friendlies are a success. The RM game coupled with the GolTV launch was a once in a blue moon event.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 02:08 PM
The RM game coupled with the GolTV launch was a once in a blue moon event.

so once every 19 months? (on average, and yes, I'm just breaking your chops)

KezmanCCCC
03-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Thoughts anyone?

i fully agree. these friendlies are just a waste of time and focus for our players, and they are not worth the risk of player injuries. sure they can be exciting when real madrid come to town... but its really not necessary.. i would rather see european clubs come here and play other european clubs in friendlies... just like back in 2004 when i went to see roma vs celtic... also liverpool and porto played each other.. as did other clubs came here to play... i fully agree they need to stop

Don Julio
03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
My point was they didn't have to BUY that kind of publicity - they made a shitload of money off it instead. Nobody cares about the GolTV launch outside hardcore soccer fans, my Mom asked me about the Real Madrid game.

My mom couldn't tell the difference between a soccer ball and a volleyball.

And I disagree that getting teams like RM in here is once in a blue moon event. All the big European clubs will be touring N. America trying to build their global fan base in the next decade in the new global economy. Isn't Manchester United supposed to be coming this year? Taste aside, they are certainly famous.

azzuri4stars
03-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I've always been in favour of the non TFC set-up.
I see Toronto play all year, and if foreign clubs are gonna visit, I'd rather they not play TFC.
Give Toronto a rest, and let the spectacle involve two other clubs.

I'm also in favour of the Non TFC setup.

How about if we get the University of BC play Cocordia University live at BMO field on Real grass. Would that work????????:flare:

Whoop
03-25-2010, 09:55 PM
I have no issue with two non-TFC teams playing a friendly at BMO.

I had a great time at the Benfica-Celtic match in September. Got a chance to see some quality players like Angel Di Maria, Javier Saviola, David Luiz, etc. and a team that is having a good run domestically and in the Europa League.

MUFC_Niagara
03-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Bring on United! If Mo brings Manchester United to BMO this summer he can keep his job.....until the end of the season that is!

twistedchinaman
03-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Yes more friendlies please.

I think the point is exposure and for the $ -- still, it reverberated out west that the Reds played Real Madrid. OUT WEST. That's a big effin' deal.

Get a big team from Europe, you're going to get your name out there not only across the country but around the world.

Dirk Diggler
03-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Bring on United! If Mo brings Manchester United to BMO this summer he can keep his job.....until the end of the season that is!

I don't think Mo is in charge of arranging friendlies ... at least I hope not.

MUFC_Niagara
03-26-2010, 12:26 AM
I don't think Mo is in charge of arranging friendlies ... at least I hope not.

Ok, come on Paul....bring on United!!!

Cashcleaner
03-26-2010, 03:58 AM
The thing is, we have more than just the MLS regular season to work around with regards to scheduling. The Nutrilite Canadian Championship throws 4 more matches into the mix as well. I know MLSE really REALLY wants to get as much use out of BMO Field as it can (a perfectly reasonable position), but perhaps the best solution would to play any major friendlies in the off-season at Rogers Centre instead.

By playing friendlies mid-season we're taking quite a risk with the health of the roster, but with the weather in the mid-spring and late-fall as it is, there are obvious disadvantages with playing any exhibition matches at those times as well. Perhaps the best thing to do is bite the bullet, play the friendlies in the off-season, maybe a week after the MLS Cup, and do it at Rogers Centre. If we're lucky, it will be warm enough to play with the roof open; but if not, we won't have to call anything off - just close that sucker up.

Davenport
03-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Friendlies mid-season are a joke.
Anyone who pays good money to watch one needs their head looking at.

prizby
03-26-2010, 07:37 AM
im pretty sure half the german teams were playing in turkey and places in January this year

Fort York Redcoat
03-26-2010, 07:44 AM
We can all agree that it's about money. The teams that can do it, will. Smaller teams abroad don't and will say it's not good for the squad to have mid season friendlies. I agree with this. It's why I don't attend them.

Davenport
03-26-2010, 08:22 AM
im pretty sure half the german teams were playing in turkey and places in January this year

The Bundesliga has a mid-winter break.
That's a little different to playing friendlies when you're in the middle of your season.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-26-2010, 09:37 AM

this makes sense as they have a 2/3 week break at xmas we dont have any breaks when our friendlies pop up, fuck its usually the busiest time fo the season then

menefreghista
03-26-2010, 10:00 AM
We have a World Cup break that would be perfect for friendlies this season.

Davenport
03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
We have a World Cup break that would be perfect for friendlies this season.

I'll be watching the World Cup then.

Not meaningless friendlies.

Don Julio
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
It's pretty obvious that the league forces teams to host friendlies, so there's no real point in discussing it with respect to TFC. With such a young league that gets very little respect outside it's core fan base it's a great way to get publicity and build the MLS brand as a whole, as well as the individual clubs.

It doesn't really hurt our competitiveness since all MLS clubs face the same adversity, and realistically, having your starters play 45 mins of a scrimmage really isn't any more dangerous than your average training session.

Last year was unfortunate with respect to scheduling, but I can understand how concessions would be made to get a team like Real Madrid in. Having TFC be the first (one of the first?) club to face them with Kaka and Ronaldo in the line up is pretty special, and Gala's goal is something I won't forget for a long time.

Fort York Redcoat
03-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Meaningless midseason friendlies have got more exposure and money for the club but at the price of demeaning the overall reputation IMO. I would love to someday see them command a sold out crowd preseason.

H Bomb
03-26-2010, 11:19 AM
I like friendlies because some fool will pay me the full totally over valued ticket price and therefor my season tickets cost less. I see too much football to care about any non competative match.

Section225
03-26-2010, 11:42 AM
I like friendlies because some fool will pay me the full totally over valued ticket price and therefor my season tickets cost less. I see too much football to care about any non competative match.

100%

menefreghista
03-26-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll be watching the World Cup then.

Not meaningless friendlies.

So if the Carlsberg Cup game is at night during the World Cup you won't attend?

Is that too much soccer for you in one day?