PDA

View Full Version : The most depressing off season

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2010, 01:56 PM
in the history of TFC
without a doubt, never have i been filled with so much doubt and sadness
im usually a pretty positive optimistic guy and i have no reason to be this season, none at all
i think i may stop coming here for a bit, all this insider info does nothing to help it

Red Rat
03-21-2010, 01:58 PM
no worries, the season will start soon and they will lose a few to cheer you up.

rr

TFC07
03-21-2010, 01:59 PM
I feel like to start a riot!

i kid. lol

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeah...that's not going to work. :(

icecoldbeer
03-21-2010, 02:05 PM
I feel like this kid...

http://buyingabeerfor.draftmag.com/files/2009/02/picture-1.png

Is this real life?

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2010, 02:07 PM
im usually very patient but this club has been brutally mismanaged and its pretty obvious now. Im still all for letting Preki have go but Mo absolutely has to go and i hope its obvious to MLSE. Im not swallowing this ML$E garbage, lets not get into it. We should absolutely channel all our energy into seeing him leave unless something insanely drastic changes. It wont for the record.

Yohan
03-21-2010, 02:13 PM
bill archer is having a laugh

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2010, 02:16 PM
fuck that dude, he can go to hell (spose he already lives there tho doesnt he)

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 02:18 PM
bill archer is having a laugh

If I were him, I'd be laughing at us too.

This is fucking pathetic. First season that I actually have zero hope to start...that's grand. I don't know if I even want to bother turning my TV to GOL next week.

TFCtoMUFC
03-21-2010, 02:25 PM
If we are as bad as it looks like we will be lets seriously think about staging a protest to fire Mo.

Ontario Arab
03-21-2010, 02:29 PM
John Carver is having a laugh more like.....

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
^ Probably.

TorCanSoc
03-21-2010, 02:37 PM
April 15th against a new franchise is going to speak volumes. This season is so up in the air its not funny. No one is expecting much.... and that's when a team could surprise.

ginkster88
03-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Surprise us with what? A scoring chance?

Waggy
03-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Got a funny protest idea, dunno how practical it'd be. But first night game: Pitchforks and torches! If THAT doesn't get some press, nothing will. Besides, do we KNOW Mo isn't undead or some sort of unspeakably evil entity sent here to destroy us? Thats what I thought!

http://myiq2xu.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/angrymobfunrun.jpg

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Surprise us with what? A scoring chance?

Or an actual pass that doesn't go somewhere else?

flatpicker
03-21-2010, 03:34 PM
what's it take to start a USL team?

Yeoman
03-21-2010, 03:46 PM
275,000 us or something like that?

TFC07
03-21-2010, 03:47 PM
what's it take to start a USL team?

Wouldn't it be better if we start a team in new NASL instead?

flatpicker
03-21-2010, 03:53 PM
^ whatever makes sense.

I just want a local club that gives a shit!

TFC07
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
^ whatever makes sense.

There's no Canadian clubs in USL now. They play in NASL (Vancouver for a year, but Edmonton coming to the league soon tho...of course Montreal is in NASL).

flatpicker
03-21-2010, 04:06 PM
^ Not really sure what your point is.

Technically it's an amalgamation consisting of USL1 and NASL under the umbrella of the USSF.

So, it's 6 or one half dozen of the other...

Regardless... you're are turning my sarcastic comment into a whole other topic!

AL-MO
03-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Well its pretty much over.

Now onto the most depressing season ever.

:D :lol:

Limani_Ole
03-21-2010, 04:44 PM
cant wait for the "MO MUST GO" chants..

ensco
03-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Could expectations be any lower? Is there any place worse for us to play the opener than at Columbus?

I figured it out. They've got us where they want us. They can only do better than we expect. They can't do worse.

jazzy
03-21-2010, 04:51 PM
in the history of TFC
without a doubt, never have i been filled with so much doubt and sadness
im usually a pretty positive optimistic guy and i have no reason to be this season, none at all
i think i may stop coming here for a bit, all this insider info does nothing to help it

What's saved me is Al-mo's great work in setting up winter kickabouts, although I am presently limping, I'd forgotton how great a game it really is, and can be with the right personel,ya it's a write off but with the right friends and chatter, soccer will live in this city if only because of the positive mass called the RPB's. Hey any chance of summer kickabouts to keep us drugged till Mo's gone

flatpicker
03-21-2010, 04:54 PM
I figured it out. They've got us where they want us. They can only do better than we expect. They can't do worse.

Those sneaky bastards!

The throw shit at us time and time again,
But just as we are all about to give up and walk away,
they clean a bit of the shit off... perhaps they let us wash our hair,
But the rest of the shit stays.
But it feels so nice to have the shit out of our hair that we fall in love with them again,
And we thank them for the small act of kindness.

Red Rat
03-21-2010, 05:00 PM

What!! are you telling that we are going to have cheerleaders?

rr

Shakes McQueen
03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm trying to stay away from the TFC sections of the board until the season starts, precisely because I'm aware of how dismal our roster situation is, and the behind the scenes information is just making me feel worse.

I'm holding out a glimmer of hope that more signings will come once the CBA is settled. That's pretty much all I have left to hold on to.

The thing I don't get, is when did this team go from competing for a playoff spot, to trying to lower everyone's expectations, and not being able to fill out a roster?

Things are not going to get better, until Mo is fired. If this team comes out and starts the season flat and listless again, all of the supporters groups need to be devoted full-time to pushing Mo's firing. It needs to be our one objective for the season, until it happens.

- Scott

swan
03-21-2010, 05:06 PM
well the poll on the TFC site says 59% think we are making the playoffs.lol

jazzy
03-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Those sneaky bastards!

The throw shit at us time and time again,
But just as we are all about to give up and walk away,
they clean a bit of the shit off... perhaps they let us wash our hair,
But the rest of the shit stays.
But it feels so nice to have the shit out of our hair that we fall in love with them again,
And we thank them for the small act of kindness.

Loke I've said before, sound familiar, Leafs by chance, anyway love the Shwarma reference , What I wish for is the real deal that I used to get by U of T on college:...Lamb Swarmas..crisy and B-Bqued with hot tomatoes sauce...to die for, oh ya TFC...who's that, oh ya food good;...... MO bad

Cas87
03-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Am I the only one that has the mentality of maybe we sucked because the players (up until yesturday) had already packed it in because of the strike.

And don't get me wrong Mo should go, but only after we lose a couple this year b/c his hands were tied since he also didn't know if a strike was going to happen or not.

Give him until the 2nd game (or home openner) to see what (if anything) he brings in and if it helps

swan
03-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Am I the only one that has the mentality of maybe we sucked because the players (up until yesturday) had already packed it in because of the strike.

And don't get me wrong Mo should go, but only after we lose a couple this year b/c his hands were tied since he also didn't know if a strike was going to happen or not.

Give him until the 2nd game (or home openner) to see what (if anything) he brings in and if it helps

that didn't stop other teams...

Yohan
03-21-2010, 05:46 PM

other teams seemed to not have trouble signing players...

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 06:55 PM

+1!

Everyone lifted off the hoardings, and we've still got pieces...I fear for us.

Zeke_Jones
03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
The player problem is like what happened with the leafs.

Nik Antropov on the leafs = first line
Nik Antropov on any other team = bench.

Just think of where some of the guys on tfc would be if they didnt play here.

Shakes McQueen
03-21-2010, 10:14 PM

Interesting analogy. Is this the same Nik Antropov that is leading the Atlanta Thrashers in points, a team currently one point out of a playoff spot?

- Scott

Beach_Red
03-21-2010, 10:38 PM

Other teams have different owners. As someone on here said, remember how prepared the Leafs were comig out of the strike....

Whoop
03-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Just listening to the year end press conference again.

Mo signed a 2 1/2 year contract extension in the summer.

Would MLSE eat his contract?

trane
03-21-2010, 10:57 PM
^ whatever makes sense.

Agreed. 100% A club run like a spanish team would be perfect. The guys in Milton have done something like that but I would like to see something at a hire level. How could be needed 10 Million? That is possible to raise, from supporters, the issue is how to put a proper managment group together.

Shakes McQueen
03-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Just listening to the year end press conference again.

Mo signed a 2 1/2 year contract extension in the summer.

Would MLSE eat his contract?

I'm sure they would. They've canned all kinds of Leafs and Raptors coaches over the years, that still had contracts. I'm sure they see continuing franchise mediocrity and fan apathy to be far greater financial threats to their young investment, than having to eat a few dollars they promised to MoJo.

I don't really understand the people that are trying to put our roster/cap situation on MLSE here. They just cut the checks. You can rag on them for keeping Mo Johnston around, but not for the intricacies of our roster, and Mo's ridiculous handling of it.

- Scott

Redpunkfiddle
03-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Agreed. 100% A club run like a spanish team would be perfect. The guys in Milton have done something like that but I would like to see something at a hire level. How could be needed 10 Million? That is possible to raise, from supporters, the issue is how to put a proper managment group together.

$10 million to buy MLSE out of TFC? That's like when this guy tried to blackmail the world for 7 figures:

Roogsy
03-21-2010, 11:39 PM
MLSE won't look at anything under 50mill that's for sure...

Whoop
03-21-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't think they'd sell...

Shakes McQueen
03-21-2010, 11:46 PM
MLSE would never sell TFC for such small amounts of money. They are looking long, long term at the prospects of MLS in North America.

- Scott

Keystone FC
03-22-2010, 05:21 AM
fuck that dude, he can go to hell (spose he already lives there tho doesnt he)
Yeah, Northern Ohio.:hump:

flatpicker
03-22-2010, 07:04 AM
$10 million to buy MLSE out of TFC? That's like when this guy tried to blackmail the world for 7 figures:

$10 mil to start our own USL1/NASL/USSF club with modest stadium (with roof).
We wouldn't be top tier... but we could still beat Toronto in the NCC.

Sab0tage
03-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Just think of where some of the guys on tfc would be if they didnt play here. Uhh, what?

canadian_bhoy
03-22-2010, 08:14 AM
The way things are looking, we're in big trouble.

But...

Today is the first business day since the CBA was sealed. Hopefully that means that deals that were contingent on a deal will be kicked into high gear/signed this week or next. If not, then we're in really really big trouble.

BTW - How the hell does Chicago sign Collins John and we can't sign anyone?

Shaughno
03-22-2010, 08:17 AM

Those are the people who aren't on the messageboards and haven't figured out that we've lost Vitti, Serioux, Guevara, Fellinga, etc. etc. etc.

:rofl:

Ossington Mental Youth
03-22-2010, 08:37 AM
im just amazed that riding of those guys isnt reflected in our cap space....

Shaughno
03-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Well we had a ton of allocation money last year I believe, plus only half of Gerba & JDG's salaries, right? That's a big jump, including DeRo's who had a large chunk paid in allocations as well.

olegunnar
03-22-2010, 08:55 AM
This is the worst off season so far IMO

The build up to 2008 was pretty pathetic as well, but at that point in time we were still naive as we hadn't yet seen behind the curtain.

Still this off season is similar to 2008. We have a tiny roster, no real hope for improvement. We then lost on opening day to Columbus with a make shift roster (Dichio being benched didn't help). Then we had to wait a few games for Robert to be brought in, then a few more for Guevara, Ricketts and Harmse, then we finally had a full roster in Late april/ Early May.

2 years later all of them are gone and we're repeating the process.

Not saying I want them back...just that it's a continuous revolving door, with rosters being finalized in April/May rather than the pre-season. No improvement in the situation, just an annual repetition of the process.

Mark in Ottawa
03-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Did they specify in which season they expect to make the playoffs? :rolleyes:

olegunnar
03-22-2010, 09:08 AM

It's worse than that, if the poll is legitimate :rolleyes:

Just looked now
58% say playoffs
17% say top two in the East!

So that's 75% that think we'll make the playoffs.

reggie
03-22-2010, 09:14 AM
yes.....but we have grass.
according to mo babcock the players will be coming by the plane load.

Auzzy
03-22-2010, 09:18 AM

They surely don't block the MLSE corporate domain from voting, and probably don't check for multiple votes either.

Mo must have been doing SOMETHING on his Blackberry in the past few weeks. He certainly wasn't signing players.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 09:21 AM
I try not to let things that are out of my control effect my mood.

There will be rainy days, and there will be sunshine (yes, metaphorically)
but if you tie your emotional state to things you can't control, or even influence,
you're going to be having a lot of bad days.

I don't think this off season has been as bad, mostly because of the grass.
That's something that can be controlled, and the club is doing it right.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm sure they would. They've canned all kinds of Leafs and Raptors coaches over the years, that still had contracts.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/marty_burns/05/10/coaching.openings/p1.mitchell.jpg

^
2007 - NBA Coach of the Year.
2008 - Fired from the Raptors

People often compare us to the Leafs/Raps, but not when they talk about turnover.

olegunnar
03-22-2010, 09:52 AM
I try not to let things that are out of my control effect my mood.

By that line of thinking though, you shouldn't be happy (a positive effect on your mood) the franchise lobbied for and got permission to install grass. :)
It was out of your control

Don Julio
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM

Just think of where some of the guys on tfc would be if they didnt play here.

This is the most insane comment I have ever read on here. Your first sentence is absolutely correct, but the rest couldn't be more innacurate.

Yes, the Leafs and TFC seem to suffer the same issue a lot, but that issue is that good players look utterly average when they're here, then suddenly they leave and set the score sheet on fire.

In both cases I think it has to do with leadership on the ice/pitch and losing mentality throughout the team, and in both cases the near-wholesale changes (both teams only retain a single player from 2 years ago) have been made which could address this. Problem is, neither team will really compete for a couple years.

In fact the bigger problem is: Where is either team going to miraculously find start players?

The similarities are actually a bit frightening, and really not dissimilar to the Raptors either.

God bless Toronto.

Parkdale
03-22-2010, 10:30 AM
By that line of thinking though, you shouldn't be happy (a positive effect on your mood) the franchise lobbied for and got permission to install grass. :)
It was out of your control

nope, it has a positive effect on my mood because I choose to let it.

see, it's all in the application!

Mark in Ottawa
03-22-2010, 11:08 AM
see, it's all in the application!
True.
Lets see if I can get this to work for me...

I can look forward to my few trips to BMO this summer, a chance to see the other RPB's and tailgaters, get together with some of the other 75 Mile Bastards... O... and watch TFC live... come what may... :scarf:

OR

I can sit home, watch the games on TV and miss out on some of the wacky times to be had as a "supporter on-site". :o

Hell yeah Parky... I think it is working.
It's more than just the team... it is the experience!
But yeah... a good team wouldn't hurt... would it :rolleyes:

DreFuss
03-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Our team defined by the word of the day:

Word of the Day for Tuesday, March 23, 2010

exiguous \ig-ZIG-yoo-us\, adjective:
Extremely scanty; meager.