03-20-2010, 05:51 PM
First!

ArmenJBX
03-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Second!

flambe
03-20-2010, 05:59 PM
shit game AGAIN, nice work boys.

RSL's first shut out of the competition, even the Battery have a better attacking presence.

TFCAlbertaGirl
third????

twistedchinaman
I think I've lost faith.

Someone show me something that will make me want to be proud of this team again.

justin
first to post something useful...

weak display again, we can't generate any offense whatsoever

twistedchinaman
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
^ Well, that's a given...

Oldtimer
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Big difference between RSL's defense and ours.

RSL gains possession, and keeps it, with short passes down the field.

TFC gets possession, tries to pass it and loses it immediately.

Huyton
03-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Looks like I'll be able to get full seasons tickets virtually anywhere I want next year.

There's going to be a lot less people wanting to renew if this is the standard of play we'll be watching this year.

ag futbol
03-20-2010, 06:02 PM
We just lack firepower up top or attacking in general. Gabe Gala is ok, Saric is ok, White is ok, Dero is good. There needs to be something else pushing up there, because otherwise it`s just crap.

ps. somehow rbny is up 1-0 on santos.

tfc2008
we are not ready for this new competition

Pachuco
You know what's sad? we actually played our starting 11. There is no excuses for this one. The players on the field today are the same players you will see on the field next week. And that's IF we are lucky and we can sign Said and Saric before next saturday.

mmmikey
i would rather buy seasons to a trophymanager game at this rate...

ag futbol
03-20-2010, 06:03 PM
You know what's sad? we actually played our starting 11. There is no excuses for this one. The players on the field today are the same players you will see on the field next week. And that's IF we are lucky and we can sign Said and Saric before next saturday.
And Saric was nothing more than average plus we couldn`t even play Said in position.

What has Mo Johnston done to improve the team exactly

MG42
03-20-2010, 06:03 PM
we just might not win a game all year.

Bars92
03-20-2010, 06:04 PM
so now that cba is resolved we're gonna sign a striker or some sort of attacking mid/winger right???

flambe
03-20-2010, 06:04 PM

yup, that's my biggest concern at the moment, I'm actually looking forward to Chudley's quick return.

tfc2008
03-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Problem is we never gone have a good soccer team Nobody cares in the office look Leafs and Raptors every year same shit

flambe
03-20-2010, 06:05 PM
.......plus we couldn`t even play Said in position.

King Tut, what are your thoughts on the reasoning behind this, any scoop?

Beach_Red
03-20-2010, 06:07 PM
And Saric was nothing more than average plus we couldn`t even play Said in position.

What has Mo Johnston done to improve the team exactly

Remember when we thought handing the team over to Preki with plenty of off-season to work with was going to make a difference?

TFCAlbertaGirl
The truth hurts, really badly

Vecchia Guardia
initial tactic

------------------1-------------------

------------2---3----4-----5----------

----------6-----7------8----9-------

----------------10------11------------

final tactic

------------------1-------------------

------------2---3----4-----5----------

------------------------------------

----------------10------11------------

midfield have a lot of problems ,defensive phase = zero,order = zero,construction = zero...this what i ' ve seen today...i hope that something ll chenge

MUFC_Niagara
03-20-2010, 06:08 PM
red bull arena is sexy

Pachuco
03-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Remember when we thought handing the team over to Preki with plenty of off-season to work with was going to make a difference?

It's isn't his fault, he's got nothing to work with. Oh wait hold on, he fired all our players, it probably is atleast half his fault.

How much of a difference would Serioux, Robbo and Guevara make right about now? HUGE DIFFERENCE if you ask me.

Detroit_TFC
03-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Preki's top secret turnaround plan appears to remain top secret. I hope it's not still top secret in October.

Unless the plan is to suck bad, in which case it has been implemented in full.

TFCAlbertaGirl
03-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Robbo would make a huge difference!!! IMHO

cochrdoc
03-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Can we get Dichio in shape for next week.How many shoots on net did we generate in preseason

ag futbol
03-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Robbo would make a huge difference!!! IMHO
Defensive mid play was fine. The issue is that we have zero money attackers and our defenders move so slow they are practically statues. We are going to get abused by every team with speed up top.

Brooker
03-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Problem is we never gone have a good soccer team Nobody cares in the office look Leafs and Raptors every year same shit

so you think the General Managers don't care about job security? You think they'd rather just sit around and do absolutely nothing for 4 or 5 years and then be unemployed? Obviously they somewhat like being GM's... and if they are shit at it, nobody else will hire them.

TFC Cityboy
03-20-2010, 06:14 PM
I just don't know what to say that hasn't been said before....

cochrdoc
03-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Our defence was a problem last year,and what did we do.Bring Mo`s drinking buddy phylon Garcia in.

jazzy
03-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Big difference between RSL's defense and ours.

RSL gains possession, and keeps it, with short passes down the field.

TFC gets possession, tries to pass it and loses it immediately.

You know it hurts when a fan as myself sees the same aboration since this team has started, and wonders why we simply can't make a few passes hold the ball and make a concentrated effort to build an attack. It is and always has been get the ball, kick it as far as you can and see who gets it , usually the opposition, Except when Dichio was playing he stopped the ball, dropped it, then made a short soft pass to a member of the SAME team. Isn't this OLD style made possible by Beckham, and only properly done by Beckham.
It is hard to believe after 4 years it's as noted earlier.....All we are saying is give us a goal..........SAD

MFG1
03-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh Rick Titus where are you????????

Huyton
03-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Was it just me, or did Mo look incredibly nervous discussing the CBA?

It looked like he was thinking "Oh fuck...I never expected this...I'm not ready".

ag futbol
03-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Was it just me, or did Mo look incredibly nervous discussing the CBA?

It looked like he was thinking "Oh fuck...I never expected this...I'm not ready".
ahaha ya i thought the same thing.

Calls Barry McLean ``give me all you got!``

Yohan
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
chad barrett where are thou? lol

cochrdoc
03-20-2010, 06:26 PM
At least Chad will get a shot

WHITEY
03-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Missed the match, did we get any red cards today?

Yohan
03-20-2010, 06:28 PM
lol no. though Harden came very, very close

WHITEY
03-20-2010, 06:30 PM
lol no. though Harden came very, very close

Jesus fuck you mean we finished the match with all 11 players? I guess that could be a bright side LOL!

MFG1
03-20-2010, 06:30 PM

Any shots on net???:D

Huyton
03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
A red card might indicate that someone actually cared enough to put some passion in their game.

No...we finished with 11 players, same as we started with. Only one appeared to be playing in their correct position: Stefan Frei.

Crazy Canuck
03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Another crappy game, nothing has changed pre-season is still garbage.
I just lost 90 mins+ that I won't get back. I do have to say Robo looks good with New york playing in the new stadium against Santos from Brazil. New york is winning 3 - 0 at the half. Toronto should take notes.

Beach_Red
03-20-2010, 06:36 PM
so you think the General Managers don't care about job security? You think they'd rather just sit around and do absolutely nothing for 4 or 5 years and then be unemployed? Obviously they somewhat like being GM's... and if they are shit at it, nobody else will hire them.

It seems we're having this discussion in every thread now. Of course the GMs want tokeep their job. The problem is, we think they should keep it by winning championships and the ownership measures progress incrementally - so every year that TFC gets more points than the year before is a success. But sometimes the decisions that make those incremental improvements aren;t the same as te ones that win championships three year later. TFC has no vision. For years the Raptors and Leafs had no vision. Well, MLSE has no vision - it's a perfect fit.

jloome
03-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Any shots on net???:D

NO, I don't think so.

FootieChick
03-20-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm with Charlie... that was probably one of the worse games I've seen... mind you, I don't remember the last NYRB game last year which was pretty horrible - apparently.

As I sat in Shoeless I could feel the utter dissapointment as a TFC fan... and people always ask me why I'm not a Leafs fan!? I need some freakin' sanity!

Either way, this team needs a change, a big one and a positive one. How, I'm not sure. Mo needs to go that's for sure. We need someone with a new vision that could make a difference, and until then, we are going to continue to follow the trait of every other Toronto team and be a bunch of losers.

It's sad, we have the best supporters and a horrible team. I guess I am naive by not understanding why we are not making the proper investments to be able to complete in the MLS!? Is it me, or does someone have an answer?

jloome
03-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Our positioning was truly awful in the second half, bush league stuff.

Yohan
03-20-2010, 07:30 PM
NO, I don't think so.
JDG had a weak shot in first half. I think that's the only shot on net that i can recall...

Darlofletch
03-20-2010, 08:05 PM
there were a couple of free kicks in dangerous postions. both times the ball never got off the ground and rolled slowly towards their goalie. technically shots on goal.

sulfur
03-20-2010, 08:15 PM
We had two shots that forced saves. Neither were difficult stops, but it was two more than we'd had in the four games coming into this one.

cochrdoc
03-20-2010, 08:34 PM
We had enough offence last year to make the play-offs.What did we do but release some of those players and keep 2 defenders in Garcia and Brennan who couldn`t stop anyone.It`s amazing how other teams can turn it around in 1 year and we look like we belong in a house league.

canadian_bhoy
03-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Geez. Another game without a goal.

Fushida
03-20-2010, 08:51 PM
I know the team was shit again etc etc..

But does anyone have a stat on how many attacks ended with OBW? Just curious. He tried running against defenders today, I'd say it was mostly a fail. He still makes idiotic passes and gets muscled off the ball. Still can count the number of shots he's made in these three games on my two hands (while it might reflect the way our team can't get the ball to him, also reflects his crappy positioning)... and sadly he's still our #1 striker without Barrett.

Pookie
03-20-2010, 08:54 PM
On the plus side, we had a decent pre-season last year and ended up missing the playoffs.

Maybe this is the time to switch it up.

wzhxvy
03-20-2010, 08:55 PM
What is truly scary is there is no rumour of someone else coming in...other signings...this is it....I just cant believe how poorly managed this team is...its so bad now that I am starting to wonder if MO actually wants to get fired. I would not be surprised...if he quits, he doesnt get paid...if he is fired at least he gets a pay out....

Yeoman
03-20-2010, 08:56 PM
mojo is shit
this team is a joke
i'm not holding my breath on how good preki was either in the past
i gave up at the half.
did we string any more then four passes consitantly? I doubt it.
after our third pass, we'd just huck it in the air.
not very many teams can pull that kind of shit off and win you know?
we need more players, players that can put balls in the back of the net now

canadian_bhoy
03-20-2010, 09:02 PM
On the plus side, we had a decent pre-season last year and ended up missing the playoffs.

Maybe this is the time to switch it up.

From what I remember of last season. We didn't play very well against the USL teams and then got completely outclassed by RSL.

So far, the only difference between this year and last season has been the expectations of the fans.

Pookie
03-20-2010, 09:08 PM
^ 2-1 record in Carolina

RSL beat them 2-1 for the loss

Outside of Carolina, the boys were 4-2-0... scoring 10 and giving up 3 in those 6 games

Alixir
03-20-2010, 09:10 PM
we just might not win a game all year.

We might just not score a goal all year!:facepalm:

Oldtimer
03-20-2010, 09:15 PM
As unbelievable as it seems, the team is even worse than it was under CC.

We had Guevara then, now thanks to Preki's coming he's gone.

LesH
03-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Looking back to all of the games from this pre-season:

I really can not explain this, how a team which still fielded a lots of players who taken individually should make things happen a lot more in the front of the adverse goal and for sure at least in the last 3rd of the opponents... how can generate such quasi non-existent offense all along the trial matches...???
And I can not explain the quality of the team play per total either... Maybe this team is cursed???

I do not care that we trialled a lots of players (others teams did the same!) and I do not care that many players played out of position. All these players are professionals, and have a background at a certain level in their "trade" which is playing football.

I have seen a lots of football in my life, In different countries, different levels.... I mean live games too... tons of them, because it's a bit different than watching on a screen...
I'm almost 46... Hungarian born in Romania, I played a relatively short period of time in the Romanian 3rd division in the mid 80's (which back then, in communist times was 100% amateur player status, you did not have to go to work at the companies you worked with "on paper", all teams being company teams, and all companies being state owned, but you got paid the same salary like you were working normally).

But here is what I can honestly say: the overall quality of our team's play shoved in these preseason games is equal with the quality of a bottom third (12-16 place) team from the Romanian 3rd division team from the 80's...
Just think about this: in those years in Romania was a first division (18 teams), a second division with 3 groups each of 18 teams, and a third division of 12 groups, each of 16 teams.

How in the world can this happen, when the individual quality of players overall equals ones of the average 2nd division Romanian teams' players from that same period? :facepalm:

MFG1
03-20-2010, 09:48 PM
^ thats what I was thinking! :)

Torontotonto
03-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Your view is well stated.
Kind of good comparison of the level of our club right now, however it's pre-season and we will impove under Preki and Danny, I hope.

KRO
03-20-2010, 11:13 PM
We have to solve the problem of scoring goals but the defense looks reasonably good, even with the Nick "the devil" Garcia playing 90 minutes tonight.

The defense looks well organised. Harden had a good game today and despite other comments I think Garcia did very little wrong. I know he made some big mistakes in the run in last year that may have cost us the play-offs, however, he seems to be in favour and will probably be part of the team at the start of the season. We have to accept that. Preki sees these players train and play every day and is better placed to make the decisions about who plays and who doesn't.

Every player that puts on a TFC shirt, walks out on the pitch and does the best that they can should be supported by the fans. Some of the comments that are being made about Garcia should be reserved for players wearing shirts of a different colour. He is not the enemy.

Reserve your venom for Angel, Landycakes and Schelotto

WHITEY
03-20-2010, 11:17 PM
We have to solve the problem of scoring goals but the defense looks reasonably good, even with the Nick "the devil" Garcia playing 90 minutes tonight.

The defense looks well organised. Harden had a good game today and despite other comments I think Garcia did very little wrong. I know he made some big mistakes in the run in last year that may have cost us the play-offs, however, he seems to be in favour and will probably be part of the team at the start of the season. We have to accept that. Preki sees these players train and play every day and is better placed to make the decisions about who plays and who doesn't.

Every player that puts on a TFC shirt, walks out on the pitch and does the best that they can should be supported by the fans. Some of the comments that are being made about Garcia should be reserved for players wearing shirts of a different colour. He is not the enemy.

HAHA ya but Garcia is shit! And as far as I'm concerned he is the enemy!

Yohan
03-20-2010, 11:18 PM

evidence is clear on game time. really, you can be good at training ground but if you can't perform on actual games, you suck. garcia sucks

so what? stick our heads in the sand and ignore the fact that garcia is worse than velez?

KRO
03-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Did I say that Garcia was a good player? Maybe he was at one time but he is definitely past his best. He is however going to be playing for our team this season.

He is going to be wearing that red shirt with the TFC badge on it, just as you probably are at the home opener against Philly. Instead of thinking that he is "shit" or "worse than Velez" you should be giving him your support and helping him to play above himself.

That's what supporting your team is all about. We are TFC not Real Madrid.

WHITEY
03-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Did I say that Garcia was a good player? Maybe he was at one time but he is definitely past his best. He is however going to be playing for our team this season.

He is going to be wearing that red shirt with the TFC badge on it, just as you probably are at the home opener against Philly. Instead of thinking that he is "shit" or "worse than Velez" you should be giving him your support and helping him to play above himself.

Ummmmm, ya, not happening...and he's still shit.

Yohan
03-21-2010, 12:12 AM

game time, he gets my support. anytime after that and he's had another shitty game, he gets stick from me

i kinda don't tolerate crapulence, esp from my own dudes

Pookie
03-21-2010, 07:23 AM
I guess it is comforting to some to have a whipping boy for the season. An outlet to direct any pent up frustration, to blame on each and every loss.

A player to focus on each and highlight every mistake. I guess it gives one the fantasy that the release of said player will ultimately free this club from its mediocre shackles and turn it into a dynasty worthy of playing in top flight leagues around the world.

Fortunately, since these guys are all MLS players, there are 11 worthy candidates each and every season. I'm confident you will find a new one once Garcia moves on.

LesH
03-21-2010, 08:29 AM

One of the basic problems with this team is that the majority of the players seems to give a sh--it about that red shirt with the TFC badge on it.
Maybe they don't, but this is the impression for one watching from the stands, the majority of time.
Pride, giving all it for your club, etc? Tell me about is... Something painfully lacking here at TFC... :facepalm:

Too bad the championship is not played between the supporter groups, because RPB would have a lot to teach these players about what means playing for a club, you feel it's your own.

canadian_bhoy
03-21-2010, 08:50 AM
As unbelievable as it seems, the team is even worse than it was under CC.

We had Guevara then, now thanks to Preki's coming he's gone.

I really think Guevara was one of the most underrated players we've ever had. He came in with all this doom and gloom about being a bad apple etc. But he never gave us one issue, never complained and he always seemed to be genuinely happy to be playing here.

As much as I loved Robbo's influence on our team, I honestly think that Guevara may have been our biggest loss (I get the whole Dero argument to this, but I think there was room for both).

Redpunkfiddle
03-21-2010, 09:05 AM
With DeRo playing striker (even if a bit recessed), we are losing his playmaking abilities in the build up. Sadly, we have no real option up front at this point until Barrett is back.

Yohan
03-21-2010, 09:13 AM
I really think Guevara was one of the most underrated players we've ever had. He came in with all this doom and gloom about being a bad apple etc. But he never gave us one issue, never complained and he always seemed to be genuinely happy to be playing here.

As much as I loved Robbo's influence on our team, I honestly think that Guevara may have been our biggest loss (I get the whole Dero argument to this, but I think there was room for both).
i'm not going to miss guevara's inconsistency and his rather lack of interest after WCQ and concentration on playing at WC this year...

koryo
03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Yesterday was our best game of the preseason in that we had two shots on target and no one was sent off.

It's going to be a long and ugly season. But you have to admit, that's a better outlook than this time yesterday :)

Silver lining: each loss takes us closer to getting rid of Johnston.

Pookie
03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Silver Lining #2: This is a place for debate and with the results we can have many.

For example, are those that are rating Garcia's talents as shite and wanting to run him out of town the same ones that rated Cunningham's future ability to score as shite and ran him out of town (... all the way to a golden boot award)?

koryo
03-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Silver Lining #2: This is a place for debate and with the results we can have many.

For example, are those that are rating Garcia's talents as shite and wanting to run him out of town the same ones that rated Cunningham's future ability to score as shite and ran him out of town (... all the way to a golden boot award)?

You can look at Garcia two ways. The first way is general consensus around here. The second is: he'd be more of an asset to us if he had better players around him.

Ultimately, if the best we can say about Garcia is that he might be good somewhere else but not with us, that pretty much settles the debate doesn't it?

TFC Cityboy
03-21-2010, 10:05 AM
You can look at Garcia two ways. The first way is general consensus around here. The second is: he'd be more of an asset to us if he had better players around him.

Ultimately, if the best we can say about Garcia is that he might be good somewhere else but not with us, that pretty much settles the debate doesn't it?
can't run. can't head, can't tackle.
Apart from that he's an excellent centre back

jazzy
03-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Looking back to all of the games from this pre-season:

I really can not explain this, how a team which still fielded a lots of players who taken individually should make things happen a lot more in the front of the adverse goal and for sure at least in the last 3rd of the opponents... how can generate such quasi non-existent offense all along the trial matches...???
And I can not explain the quality of the team play per total either... Maybe this team is cursed???

I do not care that we trialled a lots of players (others teams did the same!) and I do not care that many players played out of position. All these players are professionals, and have a background at a certain level in their "trade" which is playing football.

I have seen a lots of football in my life, In different countries, different levels.... I mean live games too... tons of them, because it's a bit different than watching on a screen...
I'm almost 46... Hungarian born in Romania, I played a relatively short period of time in the Romanian 3rd division in the mid 80's (which back then, in communist times was 100% amateur player status, you did not have to go to work at the companies you worked with "on paper", all teams being company teams, and all companies being state owned, but you got paid the same salary like you were working normally).

But here is what I can honestly say: the overall quality of our team's play shoved in these preseason games is equal with the quality of a bottom third (12-16 place) team from the Romanian 3rd division team from the 80's...
Just think about this: in those years in Romania was a first division (18 teams), a second division with 3 groups each of 18 teams, and a third division of 12 groups, each of 16 teams.

How in the world can this happen, when the individual quality of players overall equals ones of the average 2nd division Romanian teams' players from that same period? :facepalm:

Aren't you overrating us?

tfc2008
03-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes nobody cares solong we go there every week buy drinks foods and tickets and the money come in is for them ok
How come we have again a team that sucks and looked around you Leafs Raptors its one pies of shit

jazzy
03-21-2010, 10:17 AM
game time, he gets my support. anytime after that and he's had another shitty game, he gets stick from me

i kinda don't tolerate crapulence, esp from my own dudes

+1, so we are supposed to end up like leaf fans I guess, and the winner is MLSE, cause the fans will put up with anything?....Better still give mo an extension, and like the leafs we'll only win when the games mean shit at the end of the dismal season........:banghead:

Pookie
03-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Well, that may be true but that line of thinking assumes that we are going to not have "better players" at any point in the near future. If that is indeed the case then the frustration should not be with Garcia but with the guy who built the team.

I'm not a Nick guy but get frustrated with the "Flavour of the Month Club" that pins all of our woes on a single player. Marshall is shit. Cunningham is shit. Samuel is shit. And if we get rid of the shit we are on our way to glory. Except, the shit seems to go on to make solid contributions elsewhere.

Garcia, with over 200 MLS games under his belt, may in fact be shit and every manager that dressed him over his 10 year career was shit too. I tend to think that for a guy to make a career like that, he must have some talent.

I would add that we've brought in:

- a defensive minded coach
- we have Nana in his second season
- we have a full season with our DP who plays more of a defensive mid style
- we have new players such as Harden that we've only got to see play a few games

Maybe we have improvements as to the players that surround Garcia and just have to wait until they actually play a few games in the season before we run the manager and player up the flagpole.

jazzy
03-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Absolutely; He showed me the highest level of skills, chased down balls when he lost them and better still got thoroughly pissed off when he got lost the ball or was taken down....that's called I want to win..........to this day who can free kick like him, ya every day he wasn't perfect, but hey where was Gerrard this year?

Yohan
03-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Well, that may be true but that line of thinking assumes that we are going to not have "better players" at any point in the near future.

I'm not a Nick guy but get frustrated with the "Flavour of the Month Club" that pins all of our woes on a single player. Marshall is shit. Cunningham is shit. Samuel is shit. And if we get rid of the shit we are on our way to glory. Except, the shit seems to go on to make solid contributions elsewhere.

Garcia, with over 200 MLS games under his belt, may in fact be shit and every manager that dressed him over his 10 year career was shit too.

I'm more inclined to wonder about your question, if he were surrounded by better/different players. If that is indeed the case then the frustration should not be with Garcia but with the guy who built the team.

But as a caution I would add that we've brought in:

- we have new players such as Harden that we've only got to see play a few games

Maybe we have improvements as to the players that surround Garcia and just have to wait until they actually play a few games in the season before we run the manager and player up the flagpole.
keep in mind that i was in give garcia another chance camp till about a week go

garcia has shown nothing that he's done anything to try to fix his short comings from last season. maybe he'd play better if his defensive partners are better, but honestly, his individual flaws are just too big to overcome a faster, and stronger attackers that most MLS teams are starting to field.

garcia is more of a defensive liability than wynne and that's saying something. at least wynne doesn't get beaten in a foot race against every attacker he faces

Pookie
03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
garcia has shown nothing that he's done anything to try to fix his short comings from last season. maybe he'd play better if his defensive partners are better, but honestly, his individual flaws are just too big to overcome a faster, and stronger attackers that most MLS teams are starting to field.

garcia is more of a defensive liability than wynne and that's saying something. at least wynne doesn't get beaten in a foot race against every attacker he faces

I don't disagree with that. I highlighted his games played but that in itself is a liability too considering his age. At some point, a guy like that can't go for a full 90. His speed and endurance will be exposed over a long game vs a short block of time.

Is it possible though that like Brennan, he may come off the bench for spot duty as the season progresses and the younger players begin to show?

ag futbol
03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Garcia is simply too slow these days. He was crap in SJ before we traded for him, he was crap last year, he was crap every game where he was counted on to make a big play. Last night he wasn't tested, therefor didn't suck. That's no vote of confidence.

You can't teach speed. If we play a team that looks to counter attack and is testing the speed of our backline he will be toast.

Yohan
03-21-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't disagree with that. I highlighted his games played but that in itself is a liability too considering his age. At some point, a guy like that can't go for a full 90. His speed and endurance will be exposed over a long game vs a short block of time.

Is it possible though that like Brennan, he may come off the bench for spot duty as the season progresses and the younger players begin to show?
Garcia is only 31. ok. that's old, but not that old. it's just amazing how garcia dropped off in quality over just a season.

garcia is too expensive to come off the bench.

the worst thing is, garcia's strong point is defensive organizer and leader, but would you listen to garcia when he makes the most terrible defensive blunders?

Garcia is simply too slow these days. He was crap in SJ before we traded for him, he was crap last year, he was crap every game where he was counted on to make a big play. Last night he wasn't tested, therefor didn't suck. That's no vote of confidence.

You can't teach speed. If we play a team that looks to counter attack and is testing the speed of our backline he will be toast.
he wasn't crap for longest time. he was one of better MLS defenders. but MLS got faster, and garcia's weakness got exposed, combined with age

koryo
03-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Well, that may be true but that line of thinking assumes that we are going to not have "better players" at any point in the near future. If that is indeed the case then the frustration should not be with Garcia but with the guy who built the team.

Garcia, with over 200 MLS games under his belt, may in fact be shit and every manager that dressed him over his 10 year career was shit too. I tend to think that for a guy to make a career like that, he must have some talent.

As far as I'm concerned, Johnston is and always has been the root of this team's problems. Garcia merely a symptom. And can you really blame me for assuming that we won't be drafting in better players in the near future? We've been in need of two decent centre-backs since day 1 in 2007. Hasn't happened in just over three years, why start believing it will now? :)

Garcia might be useful in a reduced role. That, of course, means re-visiting his contract and bringing his wage more in-line with his abilities.

Beach_Red
03-21-2010, 10:45 AM

It's the Toronto way. It's the ideal situation for the ownership. We're obsessed with little things that can be changed at no extra cost to the owners. They give us what we want and we keep coming back. They play us like children.

Imagine if we demanded that TFC reinvest its profits to make for the best scouting system in MLS? The best development system?

But no, all our problems are the fault of one or two guys - replace them with guys at exactly the same salary and we'll be champions.

I get the feeling the board room is laughing at us every day. What's the expression, "All the way to the bank."

jloome
03-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Specious logic. Garcia is shit because he's lost two steps and the league has improved. He was also shit in San Jose. And, after six solid years, he was shit for his last year in KC as well.

In fact, everyone in San Jose was ecstatic.

But, I get it. We're all irrational. Players that play badly (whether it's because they're bad or just inconsistent doesn't make a whole lot of difference) should get our support, because they're not the problem, we're the problem.

Enough devil's advocate for this woeful point in time, OK? You like him, the rest of us think he's shit. Makes sense at that point to agree to disagree.

King Tut
03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
King Tut, what are your thoughts on the reasoning behind this, any scoop?

Not sure to be honest.

Either Preki's an idiot or he already knows Said's good defensive abilities and is testing him in other positions (which would be a character test as many have mentioned before as well).

No bias or anything, but if Ibrahim Said is not signed, then it'll confirm most people's beliefs that this team is run by a bunch of idiots.

I fear what faces us next Saturday. I have a feeling we'll get spanked by the KKKrew. We have what 16-18 players??? :facepalm:

Beach_Red
03-21-2010, 11:15 AM
But, I get it. We're all irrational. Players that play badly (whether it's because they're bad or just inconsistent doesn't make a whole lot of difference) should get our support, because they're not the problem, we're the problem.

No, we're not irrational and we're not the problem, but we're not much of a solution either. We never look very deeply into the situation, we pick the most obvious thing and concentrate on that.

We're Leafs' fans.

Oh, we said we wouldn't be, we swore it would be different. But it isn't.

This team needs to reinvest its profits and have the league's biggest scouting system, this team needs to spend more money in every department that isn't capped by the league.

But all we ask is that they replace one guy with another at the same salary, leave the infrastructure alone and we expect different results.

We're getting exactly what we ask for. Bread and fucking circuses because we love the soap opera.

King Tut
03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Word I'm, getting is that the deal fell through because of a fucking weak ass offer and Ibrahim Said could be joining another MLS side in the coming hours/days. Hahahaha. We basically kept it hush hush all along, only for other MLS teams to step in and snatch him last minute, when we're a shit team that desperately needs his services along with the other trialists.

Another word out is that Gomez is getting MoJo'd real soon. Maybe that's to clear some more cap space and a desperate attempt to revive the Ibrahim Said deal? Not too sure, but this team is going to get fucked all season long. NYRB have nothing on us. By the looks of thigs, we're the real SHITE team right now!

Yeoman
03-21-2010, 11:23 AM
wow
what a fucking joke
seriously; fire up the fire mo shit at the home opener

Yohan
03-21-2010, 11:28 AM
if we lose said to another MLS team, i am... ugh. words cant describe it

Yeoman
03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
sure you do it's three words;
fire fucking mo

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Word I'm, getting is that the deal fell through because of a fucking weak ass offer and Ibrahim Said could be joining another MLS side in the coming hours/days. Hahahaha. We basically kept it hush hush all along, only for other MLS teams to step in and snatch him last minute, when we're a shit team that desperately needs his services along with the other trialists.

Another word out is that Gomez is getting MoJo'd real soon. Maybe that's to clear some more cap space and a desperate attempt to revive the Ibrahim Said deal? Not too sure, but this team is going to get fucked all season long. NYRB have nothing on us. By the looks of thigs, we're the real SHITE team right now!

:eek: ...

:picard:

King Tut
03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Put the entire management on a flight and crash them into the fucking Atlantic, those fucking cunts!!

Beach_Red
03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
if we lose said to another MLS team, i am... ugh. words cant describe it

Are we surprised? Don't we remember when the Leafs almost signed Scotty Bowman but he went to Detroit? And then they almost signed Gretzsky and he went to St. Louis?

This is nothing new for Toronto.

This team needs a new fucking owner now!!!

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 11:33 AM
sure you do it's three words;
fire fucking mo

Or some variations of that.

Gawd 4300th post...so far another milestone used to bitch out someone. :picard:

King Tut
WTF? Like seriously? Whats t he point of keeping the whole trial secret, not mentioning a word on it on the TFC website? Whats up with the CIA bullshit, if opposition will end up snapping him up at the end?!??

Oh man we're going to stink this year. This is going to be worse than year 1. Stay tuned for the comedy!! :rolleyes:

twistedchinaman
Put the entire management on a flight and crash them into the fucking Atlantic, those fucking cunts!!

Or we can string them up like hams in a curing rack and then beat them like pinatas?

King Tut
03-21-2010, 11:35 AM
wow
what a fucking joke
seriously; fire up the fire mo shit at the home opener

Oh it'll happen. Some might even want to pay the team a visit at the hotel and give the fucking ginger a mouthful over there too!

Yeoman
03-21-2010, 11:35 AM
lol chinaman hates mo more then i do
i put mine in the smallest font on puropse
flush; that banner idea i had? fire that fucker up! lol

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 11:36 AM
WTF? Like seriously? Whats t he point of keeping the whole trial secret, not mentioning a word on it on the TFC website? Whats up with the CIA bullshit, if opposition will end up snapping him up at the end?!??

Oh man we're going to stink this year. This is going to be worse than year 1. Stay tuned for the comedy!! :rolleyes:

By the end of the year, I think we're all going to need paper bags over our heads. Get 'em ready, 'cause at this rate we're going to be the laughingstock of a laughingstock league.

http://i38.tinypic.com/11gop34.png

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 11:38 AM
lol chinaman hates mo more then i do
i put mine in the smallest font on puropse
flush; that banner idea i had? fire that fucker up! lol

If you hate him like me, just cut and copy the siggy. No shame in showin' righteous disgust.

big7707
03-21-2010, 11:41 AM
i heard mo made a very low offer to zamperini as well. one to SAID, one to ZAMPERINI, probably one to SERIC and we still have no players. Robbo will start every game with RBNY but could not play for us???????we have no midfield. SANDRO GRANDE would have been much better than the ones we have(except JDG).....what the hell is mo doing????? PREKI doesn't seem like the sharpest either!!!!!!!!!

TFC will be the earthquakes of last year and not even come close to montreal and vancouver in the nutrilite!!!!!! mo has to go

King Tut
03-21-2010, 11:41 AM
By the end of the year, I think we're all going to need paper bags over our heads. Get 'em ready, 'cause at this rate we're going to be the laughingstock of a laughingstock league.

http://i38.tinypic.com/11gop34.png

We already have been the laughingstock of this league since Day 1. Nevermind the atmosphere talk and all that none sense. The team itself has been a joke from Day 1 and we've always been the real "shite" team.

Mo's going to get harassed at every game. Ripping apart Mo Johnston for all 90 mins on Saturday would be a great start.

Oldtimer
03-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Oh it'll happen. Some might even want to pay the team a visit at the hotel and give the fucking ginger a mouthful over there too!

Is KD available? :lol:

King Tut
03-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Is KD available? :lol:

Yep he is. He's on my van. Where's the ginger staying? :flare:

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
I've always thought that I could be proud of this team -- being from out West I hadn't really felt the incompetence of MLSE as a success generator, since I've never been a Leaf fan. How naive I am...

This team no longer enjoys my full confidence -- the level of management and the players is appalling. At the end of the day, we can talk about locker room cancers all we want, but the real tumour that needs to be excised is Mo Johnston.

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Yep he is. He's on my van. Where's the ginger staying? :flare:

Yes, only KD could get a point like that across...

Whoop
03-21-2010, 11:47 AM
If you hate him like me, just cut and copy the siggy. No shame in showin' righteous disgust.

It's as simple as that.

Hitcho
03-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Whoopee - your sig would make a very pertinent banner later in the season if we're not looking like making the post season. I think that would get the point across better than any banner we could come up with.

flambe
03-21-2010, 11:52 AM

If we lose Said after all this then I really see no future for Mo at TFC. Surely MLSE must see this too?

Right.......?

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
It's as simple as that.

One hopes he's gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before that.

Whoop
03-21-2010, 11:56 AM
One hopes he's gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before that.

Well he should have been gone last year... but failing that it's the one thing I'm looking forward to this season.

reggie
03-21-2010, 11:56 AM
the fucker sold out our future so that he could get a new contract.
MOSTAKE BY THE LAKE MUST GO NOW................

jloome
03-21-2010, 11:57 AM
These guys are just idiots. Said is entirely capable of commanding our back line and yet he hasn't even played there during his trial.

I'm just fuming. I'm not sure what else to say anymore.

Redpunkfiddle
03-21-2010, 11:57 AM
If we lose Said after all this then I really see no future for Mo at TFC. Surely MLSE must see this too?

Right.......?

Maybe. I'd like Said here too but he may have wanted too much.

Should he sign for another MLS team I'll look forward to seeing his salary number when it comes out.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Yesterday was our best game of the preseason in that we had two shots on target and no one was sent off.

It's going to be a long and ugly season. But you have to admit, that's a better outlook than this time yesterday :)

Silver lining: each loss takes us closer to getting rid of Johnston.

i sadly didnt see the goal but i have to admit i didnt think yesterdays game was all that bad, we seemed to be attacking for a good party of the first half and sorta languished the second half which im sure will be addressed, without a doubt we need strikers, at least one and i wanna see people pop off shots more often

Yeoman
when did it ever turn into a five year plan?!?
i've always know it as a three
fucking fire the retard

TFC Cityboy
I'd suggest we hang fire on the crusade against Mo til we've seen a few MLS matches. I'm as anti-Mo as most on here, but many times I have seen a club stink pre-season, and do ok once the season starts.

I think we all know we'll get off to a stinker, but an anti- Mo campaign would have more credibility a few games in than it would right off the top. We'd run the risk of looking like we were looking for any excuse and without a run of games in the season.

We need to get behind the lads and if we get what we expect, it'll be time to get militant by early May.

Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked if I'm hurling abuse towards towards ginger bollocks in the West stand by the second half of the Philly game...
:0

Waggy
03-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I've been on the Mo should be given a chance bandwagon until about December. But it's increasingly clear that not only is he the cause of the majority of the problems, but that he doesn't even have the capabilities to put the team in a position to get LUCKY once in a while. Simply atrocious. I think I'll let KD vocalize my thoughts for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qww7bRbuf8E

Yohan
03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
I'd suggest we hang fire on the crusade against Mo til we've seen a few MLS matches. I'm as anti-Mo as most on here, but many times I have seen a club stink pre-season, and do ok once the season starts.

I think we all know we'll get off to a stinker, but an anti- Mo campaign would have more credibility a few games in than it would right off the top. We'd run the risk of looking like we were looking for any excuse and without a run of games in the season.

We need to get behind the lads and if we get what we expect, it'll be time to get militant by early May.

Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked if I'm hurling abuse towards towards ginger bollocks in the West stand by the second half of the Philly game...
srsly we can't even name a full subs bench right now i'd bet

few injuries and with no depth... ugh. words fail me

Fushida
03-21-2010, 12:09 PM
srsly we can't even name a full subs bench right now i'd bet

few injuries and with no depth... ugh. words fail me

3 years and we barely have a full team.

If we manage to lose all these CB trialists (who are all better than Garcia no doubt) to OTHER MLS TEAMS after doing all the hard work...............................

flambe
03-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Maybe. I'd like Said here too but he may have wanted too much.

Should he sign for another MLS team I'll look forward to seeing his salary number when it comes out.

Based on the videos circulating I kinda just assumed this was a done deal. The fact that he has packed up his life and family (or alleged to) gave me the distinct impression that the majority of the transfer work had already been discussed, including renumeration.

Alixir
03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
why wait....we already know the awesomeness of Mo's GM abilities...shit sack his ass now before he leaves us with only 8 players to work with.
He has had 3 years...we have shown little improvement but thats it. Time for a change.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-21-2010, 12:21 PM
fuck fuck fuck fuck
just read about Said, thats just fucking brutal fuck
mo has got to be fired

Pookie
03-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Specious logic. Garcia is shit because he's lost two steps and the league has improved. He was also shit in San Jose. And, after six solid years, he was shit for his last year in KC as well.

In fact, everyone in San Jose was ecstatic.

Enough devil's advocate for this woeful point in time, OK? You like him, the rest of us think he's shit. Makes sense at that point to agree to disagree.

I'm not defending the guy as a great player who will lead us to the Cup but I do think there is merit to your sarcastic point about "we're the problem."

I'd agree with that somewhat.

By putting all your negative energy on Garcia (or Cunningham or Samuel or Marshall or Barrett or ...) you accomplish a few things:

a) you take pressure off the guy who traded for him
b) you create a hostile HOME environment which is good for the opposition
c) you make everyone on the back line play with fear, which is a great way to play vs say, playing with confidence
d) you lower his potential value on the trading market as a player that "wants out" puts you in a position of weakness from which to deal
e) you end up with a false sense of belief thinking that we'll be good once we get rid of Garcia (or Cunningham or Samuel or Marshall or Barrett or...)

The above is especially true if all this negativity comes out during a home game.

Now, having a reasonable debate about his talents vs the talents of other players on the roster or available is perfectly reasonable. That said, I haven't seen much commentary as to who Garcia should be replaced with.

Is Gomez ready? Harden? Gala? Sanyang? Wynne?

If any of the above are better than Garcia then they should absolutely play over him. Are there any options out there on the market that are an improvement (recognizing of course than MLS players by nature are inconsistent)?

I think that we can agree that a public crusade to release/trade a guy without a replacement is short sighted. Equally short sighted is the "Toronto Thing" to boo a player until releasing him below value is the only option available and then happily renew your tickets thinking that the world has changed.

Often, those players go on to have great successes once they leave... like Cunningham, Samuel, Marshall, etc... indicating that "talent" may not have been in decline after all.

Yohan
03-21-2010, 12:39 PM
fuck fuck fuck fuck
just read about Said, thats just fucking brutal fuck
mo has got to be fired
Said was about the only real positive move this off season and Mo's about to screw that up too

just how much does Said want in wages?

King Tut
03-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Right.......?

Nope. ML$E doesn't give two shits about the performance/results on the pitch. As long as the money's flowing in, they don't give a fuck.

King Tut
03-21-2010, 12:45 PM

I know I'll be hurling abuse towards the ginger cunt next Saturday from 116 from KKKrew Stadium! :)

Mo should've been gone last season or the one before. The rufus cunt doesn't deserve any more chances.

Darlofletch
03-21-2010, 12:49 PM
So we get rid of robbo, but because we're unable to get rid of all of his salary, we also have to get rid of gerba, but we still can't afford to sign Said.

unless he's asking for way too much (and interview's suggested money wasn't as importnat as a new start to his career) then this is just absolutely horrible management.

Fact is we've got a lot of players still to sign, so that's probably why they have to lowball him.

Absolutely fucking horrible.

Pookie
03-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Nope. ML$E doesn't give two shits about the performance/results on the pitch. As long as the money's flowing in, they don't give a fuck.

The money doesn't flow in if you miss playoff dates (MLS or CCL)...

Nuvinho
03-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Don't worry guys.....the CSL players will fill in for the season....its all good!!! Best part, is that Mo will look like a genius......getting all these CSL players under the cap.

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Okay, so the major obstacle is over $50,000 that any team Said joins has to pay for Ismaily (Egyptian team). Said was fined $150,000 for terminating his contract with Ismaily. When Said joined Ahly Tripoli, they agreed to pay $100,000 to Ismaily, with $50,000 remaining and to be paid by the next team that picks him up.

TFC agreed on his salary but wanted Said to pay the $50,000 out of his own pocket, which he refused. Should Said sign for any of the 2 other MLS teams that are after him, they will have to pay the $50,000 fine. But salary wise, everything was agreed and the $50,000 fine is what killed the deal.

That's the inside scoop in a nutshell.

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:02 PM

I'd like to think you're right. MO MUST GO, NOW!

CretanBull
03-21-2010, 01:03 PM
^They make millions off of us and won't fork out $50k for a player who make actually make us better?

jloome
03-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Okay, so the major obstacle is over $50,000 that any team Said joins has to pay for Ismaily (Egyptian team). Said was fined $150,000 for terminating his contract with Ismaily. When Said joined Ahly Tripoli, they agreed to pay $100,000 to Ismaily, with $50,000 remaining and to be paid by the next team that picks him up.

TFC agreed on his salary but wanted Said to pay the $50,000 out of his own pocket, which he refused. Should Said sign for any of the 2 other MLS teams that are after him, they will have to pay the $50,000 fine. But salary wise, everything was agreed and the $50,000 fine is what killed the deal.

MLS probably wouldn't allow that.

MG42
03-21-2010, 01:04 PM

What a bunch of cheap ass cunts, WTF is 50k to MLSE?

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:05 PM
ML$E can't pay $50,000 to make this deal work, especially when we're desperate for players and we have a short roster. Did they not know about the details of this potential move when they first approached him? Is $50,000 too much for a corporation like ML$E?

Yeoman
03-21-2010, 01:05 PM

don't worry as it's always been say. when you bring teams like real in, you make up all those losses :)
oh you mean 'affording' to field a real team................oh look grass!

CretanBull
03-21-2010, 01:07 PM

They'd allow it if we put up a stink about it...we're not talking about a million dollar transfer fee that might unbalance things...$50k, chump change.

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:07 PM

Yeah they would. It's not a transfer fee.

Any MLS team that signs him will have to pay that $50,000. It's a fine imposed on him by the Egyptian FA, when he terminated his contract with Ismaily.

If MLS wont allow that, then we've done all we can. But if MLS allows it and ML$E is being cheap on $50k, then that's a whole other story, especially with the money they've been stealing from people's pockets sine 2007, with nothing to show in return.

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
What a bunch of cheap ass cunts, WTF is 50k to MLSE?

My exact thoughts. Fucking ML$E cunts!

Yohan
03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
They'd allow it if we put up a stink about it...we're not talking about a million dollar transfer fee that might unbalance things...$50k, chump change.
or have TFC pay out of allocation money

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:12 PM
By the way, Preki really likes the guy and wanted him signed too. Everything was going smooth with the player and his agent, until the "hefty" $50k broke the camel's back. :rolleyes:

Here's hoping some miracle happens and the deal is revived and finalized. But by the looks of things, it's as good as dead and the player and his agent are already shopping him around to two other MLS teams. He's staying in USA until end of March.

Yohan
03-21-2010, 01:12 PM
My exact thoughts. Fucking ML$E cunts!
you dont know whether there is some obscure MLS rules preventing TFC from paying the fine

LesH
03-21-2010, 01:13 PM

My friend, you beat me to it, I wanted to post exactly the same.

And the saddest thing is that money will not flow in just when attendance numbers at BMO field will drop dramatically, like to around 12,000 average paid per game. Until that happens, too much water will flow down lake Ontario. :(

Waggy
03-21-2010, 01:15 PM
you dont know whether there is some obscure MLS rules preventing TFC from paying the fine

If there was an MLS rule preventing it, then why would his agent shop him to other MLS teams?

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:22 PM
That's true. But I've seen enough from ML$E as it is.

This pre-season saga is just the icing on the cake. I didn't need to wait until 4th season, to figure out my feelings towards this fucking corporation.

And If another MLS team signs him (which would mean they paid the $50k), then it will definitely be another epic fail added to the list of epic fails this management has already been a part of.

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
I have a feeling the two teams interested are two of: DC United, RSL or NYRB.

Teams are adding players even though their rosters are decent sized, and we're dropping valuable players and we already have an anorexic roster as it is.

Pookie
03-21-2010, 01:23 PM

And the saddest thing is that money will not flow in just when attendance numbers at BMO field will drop dramatically, like to around 12,000 average paid per game. Until that happens, too much water will flow down lake Ontario. :(

But the idea of them ONLY being concerned about money flowing in and therefore don't care about the product is illogical.

I agree, they are only concerned about money flowing in. It is because of that they they are absolutely concerned about the product.

We all know they are a VERY profitable business.

They have a few calculators laying around the office.

Profit is a function of what you bring in vs what you spend. If your costs are fixed (ie. salaries, operating costs) your spends are going to be the same whether you win or lose.

The only way to bring in more profit is to raise your top line (your revenue). You do that by booking more dates and selling tickets (ie MLS playoffs or CCL playoffs).

Winning is more profitable than losing.

MLSE's issue has always been that they are willing to chase a short term term profit first and harm the organization over the long run. You saw that with the Leafs trading draft picks for veteran players (ie. Owen Nolan) before the cap.

I don't think they have an idea as to what it takes to win in MLS yet and Mo therefore has more of a leash than they might give someone once they've figured out the inner workings of the cap/draft/transfer systems.

But make no mistake, they know that every playoff game missed is a dollar that they aren't getting.

flatpicker
03-21-2010, 01:24 PM
And if MLS teams weren't allowed to pay the fine, then Said would never have been here in the first place.

Somehow I doubt he would have showed up if they only way to get signed was to pay $50,000 out of his own pocket.

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:25 PM

I can't wait for the day BMO Field attendance drops to 10,000 and ML$E lose the cash cow.

I honestly can't. :)

canadian_bhoy
03-21-2010, 01:27 PM
I wonder if the extra 50k would have applied to our cap space (or lack of).

It's easy to say that 50k isn't a big deal, but to look at it another way, it's a third of what they paid for him - that's a big increase to what they initially agreed to pay.

now that the labour agreement is in place, there should be a lot more movement by Mo and at the end of the day, if TFC is willing to shell out 150k on a defender, they should be able to find a quality player for that price.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks that we're losing out on Said, but at the same time, I think it's smart of TFC not to overpay on a player when the cap is so tight.

CretanBull
03-21-2010, 01:32 PM
^I considered that the $50k might count against the cap, and it is possible...but ultimately who's fault is it for us being so close to the cap, and shouldn't a phone call to the league head office have been made to find out these types of details before we made a guy fly all the way from Egypt and devoted pre-season playing time to him?

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:34 PM
I wonder if the extra 50k would have applied to our cap space (or lack of).

It's easy to say that 50k isn't a big deal, but to look at it another way, it's a third of what they paid for him - that's a big increase to what they initially agreed to pay.

now that the labour agreement is in place, there should be a lot more movement by Mo and at the end of the day, if TFC is willing to shell out 150k on a defender, they should be able to find a quality player for that price.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks that we're losing out on Said, but at the same time, I think it's smart of TFC not to overpay on a player when the cap is so tight.

Yeah and who put us in that situation, huh? :rolleyes:

It's really smart to have signed shit players on guaranteed contracts, dropped good players, kept shit ones, overpaid the shit ones, waited last minute to sign players, etc, etc. :picard:

How many players do we have in our roster? :D

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
^I considered that the $50k might count against the cap, and it is possible...but ultimately who's fault is it for us being so close to the cap, and shouldn't a phone call to the league head office have been made to find out these types of details before we made a guy fly all the way from Egypt and devoted pre-season playing time to him?

Thank You. :)

canadian_bhoy
03-21-2010, 01:37 PM

I agree with that. You'd think from the get-go that TFC should/would have known about the 50k before committing to bringing a player for pre-season.

At the same time, it wouldn't be the first time that a potential signging (or their agent) kept those details from a club in an attempt to secure the deal.

100% agree on our lack of cap space. Mo pushed hard last season in the hope of a new contract/a place in the playoffs and a hope that the cap would significantly increase. Looks like he only went 1 for 3 and we're the ones who have to pay the price. :(

Said would have been a great signing. This really is a shame.

canadian_bhoy
03-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah and who put us in that situation, huh? :rolleyes:

It's really smart to have signed shit players on guaranteed contracts, dropped good players, kept shit ones, overpaid the shit ones, waited last minute to sign players, etc, etc. :picard:

How many players do we have in our roster? :D

Not disputing any of that. But shouldn't those past mistakes be a reason not to overpay 50k on a new player?

Waggy
03-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Not disputing any of that. But shouldn't those past mistakes be a reason not to overpay 50k on a new player?

Depends what plan b is. History tells us plan B is Mo with his BB and a bottle of glenfiddich.

King Tut
Best part about this is the fact that he could very well end up at one of our direct competitors, suit up against us and holding our shit attack at bay. :D

Another awesome part is the fact that we're 6 days away from season opener, mad short of players and have no clue what the fuck we're doing.

I think this might be the biggest joke of an off-season by any shit team in any shit league.

It's one thing to lose a player and he leaves the league altogether and another thing to lose a player with strong potential one week before the season to MLS competition. That move really burns!!

King Tut

No. This player is actually worth the $50k hassle. The others weren't!

King Tut
03-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Depends what plan b is. History tells us plan B is Mo with his BB and a bottle of glenfiddich.

Don't forget a line of Colombia's finest and dark shades to cover up the eyes at training the next morning!

canadian_bhoy
03-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Best part about this is the fact that he could very well end up at one of our direct competitors, suit up against us and holding our shit attack at bay. :D

Another awesome part is the fact that we're 6 days away from season opener, mad short of players and have no clue what the fuck we're doing.

I think this might be the biggest joke of an off-season by any shit team in any shit league.

It's one thing to lose a player and he leaves the league altogether and another thing to lose a player with strong potential one week before the season to MLS competition. That move really burns!!

We're definitely on our way towards another season where we limp out of the gate before Mo signs a player with a name (which often can't back-up the hype i.e. Robert) or makes some trades. But at this point, we don't have enough players to trade, we need to boost the roster.

The way things are going, this could be Mo's final season. (feel free to take out the c in the bolded could and change it to sh).

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 01:49 PM
All of this is just :picard:

ensco
03-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Hard to see this as being in the same bucket as the lying, or the whole Dichio situation. It's not absolute evidence of ineptitude.

It's possible to believe that Mo must go, that the situation this team is in is ridiculous....and that maybe letting Said go isn't the end of the world.

I mean I just don't know. He could anchor the backline for years, or he could be useless, or anything in between.

Let's face it, plenty of guys with similar stories have come into MLS and flamed out.

Darlofletch
03-21-2010, 02:14 PM
50k. a one time 50k payment, that presumably wouldn't count towards the salary cap even in the one year that we have to pay it. If MLS would let us pay that, and it's just mlse being cheap then that's absolutely ridiculous. just one extra game, say a ccl quaalifier against puerto rico, would cover that investment many times over.

and to have him go to a competitor? absolutely stunning.

ginkster88
03-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Wow, that's a copy/paste if I ever saw one.

It doesn't change the fact that this club has only 16 players (plus 2 goaltenders), 6 of whom are Gala, Garcia, Herold, Brennan, Wynne and Fuad Ibrahim. Gomez is one of the 16, and he may no longer be with the team. If he is in fact gone, that leaves us with NINE players of even marginal quality to take the pitch, two pylons and for all purposes, an empty bench. That's roster mismanagement if I've ever seen it. It is impossible to argue that losing out on Said was an okay move by Mo, because at this point the team needs every player of above-average quality it can find.

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 02:21 PM
^ :facepalm: When it rains...it pours.

torfchamilton
03-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Where did Gomez go?

Nuvinho
03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Where did Gomez go?

He is hurt.

jazzy
03-21-2010, 05:47 PM

Look it seems you are trying to rational in all this, OK appreciated but how the F&%k do we even compete with 4 subs, (maybe less, with who knows Mo insulted lately)...remember even the starters are not really familar with each other or what position they'll be playin...lord help us if we get 1 injury.

twistedchinaman
03-21-2010, 05:52 PM
He has a grand total of one game (two at most, three if a miracle happens). The pitchforks and the machetes are being polished and some are even being rattled already...they're coming, and he's got a short time before the wave becomes a tsunami.

koryo
03-22-2010, 07:43 AM
If we turn on/up the MO MUST GO stuff in the stands at the first game, then we just look like we're throwing our toys out of the pram - making any future such endeavour a joke in the eyes of anyone who isn't... well, us.

I agree with the position that we plan it for five games into the season otherwise we don't be doing anyone any good at all.

When we've tanked early, then we do it. Any sooner and it's wasted.