PDA

View Full Version : Seattle fans in trouble again

Brooker
03-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Was this already posted? Sorry if it was.

Portland Timbers fan who became involved in what he thought was "friendly rivalry banter" with three Sounders FC fans after Seattle lost to Portland (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2011323319_sounders12.html) last Thursday ended up being choked and dragged him around by his Timbers scarf, according to a police report released Wednesday morning.

According to the report, the 28-year-old Timbers fan was near the intersection of Second Avenue and Yesler Way on his way to catch a bus to his hotel when he got into some trash talk with three men who were wearing Sounders scarves. The victim told police the three Sounders fans followed him until they caught up to him in the 200 block of Yesler Way.

The Sounders fans -- who were now covering their faces with their scarves -- grabbed the Portland fan's scarf and tried to pull it off of him, police said. They also punched the victim in the face, police said.

The three Seattle fans then choked the victim with his scarf and dragged around the sidewalk, according to police.

According to police, the victim was not seriously injured. But police couldn't find the assailants because there were dozens of men in the street with Sounders' scarves.

if they catch them, which i doubt they will, they should be banned for life from MLS games. too harsh? i don't think so.

Pachuco
03-20-2010, 06:12 PM
NICE. I'm actually going to the opener on thursday night in Seattle. Maybe I'll rethink wearing my TFC jersey and scarf. Nah fuck it.

dupont
03-20-2010, 07:07 PM
if they catch them, which i doubt they will, they should be banned for life from MLS games. too harsh? i don't think so.

I agree. They have to show a no tolerance policy for this stuff.

This could happen by jackasses in any city though so this wouldn't change my opinion of most Seattle fans.

Parkdale
03-20-2010, 07:26 PM
does this kind of stuff happen with american football, hockey and baseball? If it does, then deal with it in exactly the same way. And I'm not defending the seattle people, but if you win on the road, you should keep yourself in line. Maybe the guy was asking for trouble? There's a lot the story doesn't cover.

Yeoman
03-20-2010, 08:59 PM
this has happend before with their fans while in the MLS?
i know it has perviously, just not during seattles time in the mls is all

CretanBull
03-20-2010, 09:12 PM
does this kind of stuff happen with american football, hockey and baseball? If it does, then deal with it in exactly the same way. And I'm not defending the seattle people, but if you win on the road, you should keep yourself in line. Maybe the guy was asking for trouble? There's a lot the story doesn't cover.

I agree with you 100% - if you win on the road, show some class. If you lose on the road, take the ribbing that you're going to get with a sense of humour.

Having said that, you can't go around choking and punching people. If they find them, they should be charged with assault and banned from entering any MLS stadium.

werewolf
03-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Maybe the MLS will investigate, and issue another press release regarding the usage of streamers.

Yeoman
03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Maybe the MLS will investigate, and issue another press release regarding the usage of streamers.

lawl
i wonder how many players i assaulted with streamers
quite a few i'm sure

Stryker
03-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Looking forward to wearing my scarf in Seattle in october. Bring it on punks.

SoccMan
03-21-2010, 12:48 AM
Well done Sounders fans, show themmwho is the boss!

TFCRegina
03-21-2010, 01:21 AM
For a second, I thought this was another chest bump video.

TorCanSoc
03-21-2010, 06:57 AM
It will happen in Toronto soon enough. If it does, it will be with Montreal fans after a CCL game.

Oldtimer
03-21-2010, 07:08 AM
At least they didn't take a leak across the street from a church like real hooligans do...:rolleyes:

Mark in Ottawa
03-21-2010, 12:08 PM
This is not news. Drunken fans are often problematic at a lot of major sporting events.
This is a simple case of assault.

Here's hoping the cops can catch those involved and that they get appropriately punished.

Parkdale
03-21-2010, 12:10 PM
At least they didn't take a leak across the street from a church like real hooligans do...:rolleyes:

across the street? I thought it was directly into the holy water?

JonO
03-21-2010, 12:28 PM
It wasn't holy until we were done with it...

MartinUtd
03-21-2010, 12:32 PM
No excuse for this kind of behaviour no matter what was said.

lazlo_80
03-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Went to the TFC game in Seattle last year. All the Sounders fans were great. Most of them just wanted to know my perspective on who was worth watching on TFC and a little more about the team.

Seems like a case of a few losers painting a bad picture for a class group of fans.

TorCanSoc
03-21-2010, 02:47 PM
These one off thing are obvious. Didn't the L.A. Riot squad get into a real fight with other fans? A precidence will be set one day. First it will be happenstance, a group of fans taunting a departing group of visiting fans.... powderkeg.... match... welcome to a slugfest.

I don't think we have the North American culture to seek out (or worst schedule) rival supporters groups to fight. Ya know if fights do happen, they'll be pointing at the SGs first and foremost.

Oldtimer
03-21-2010, 03:00 PM
These one off thing are obvious. Didn't the L.A. Riot squad get into a real fight with other fans?

Don't remember that, but I remember the KKKrew's "Hudson Street Holligans" getting into a fight with all things, West Ham fans.

TorCanSoc
03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
I think it was the West Ham fans getting into fights with...well anyone really. It was the stadium officials that let that one hit the fan. I remember some footage of West Ham fans wandering into the Nordecke I think they call it. The stadium officials were morons, not one of them said maybe this could be a bad idea? Crazy.

I'm talking about the possibility of an out of stadium, 1 hour after game time, supporter group v. supporter group. Could happen, no?

Villa TFC
03-21-2010, 09:06 PM
I think it was the West Ham fans getting into fights with...well anyone really. It was the stadium officials that let that one hit the fan. I remember some footage of West Ham fans wandering into the Nordecke I think they call it. The stadium officials were morons, not one of them said maybe this could be a bad idea? Crazy.

I seem to recall that it was Crew supporter(s) taunting West Ham supporters near the concessions and then when the West Ham supporters took offence and reacted, the Crew supporter(s) ran away to their own section...to which they were followed. Remember that there was a much larger contingent of West Ham supporters here for the All Star game than Columbus had and I don't recall any problems with TFC fans or anyone else here, so I'm not sure I'd agree that West Ham fans were getting into fights with just anyone.

Keystone FC
03-22-2010, 05:42 AM

While a baby was being christened.

TorCanSoc
03-22-2010, 01:19 PM
I seem to recall that it was Crew supporter(s) taunting West Ham supporters near the concessions and then when the West Ham supporters took offence and reacted, the Crew supporter(s) ran away to their own section...to which they were followed. Remember that there was a much larger contingent of West Ham supporters here for the All Star game than Columbus had and I don't recall any problems with TFC fans or anyone else here, so I'm not sure I'd agree that West Ham fans were getting into fights with just anyone.

My bad! Falling victim to stereotyping. If there is a soccer fight and Brits are invovled... they must have started it right? ;)

Villa TFC
03-22-2010, 06:00 PM
My bad! Falling victim to stereotyping. If there is a soccer fight and Brits are invovled... they must have started it right? ;)

Apology accepted. Now where are my 24-lace Doc Martins and my sharpened 50-pence pieces. :smilewinkgrin:

Vancity RED
03-22-2010, 06:21 PM
This makes me feel bad for all the Sounders rational fans who will now get painted with this brush. Was down for the TFC match last year and all the Seattle fans we interacted with seemed like good folk.

Having said all that, it is a different story when it comes to a Seattle fan's take on Portland. There is some serious hate there. Add to this the phrase "what he thought was 'friendly rivalry banter' " and all bets are off.

Regardless, getting physical is never cool and cannot be tolerated. Umm, getting physical in a violent way, of course.

olegunnar
03-22-2010, 06:32 PM
This is a story?

Try wearing a hawks jersey at joe louis
How about a ravens jersey in cleveland?
I know...why don't you go hang out in columbus in a michigan jersey and see what happens.

not saying it's right...I just don't see how this is news

AL-MO
03-22-2010, 06:45 PM

Yep. If you are on the road and acting like a fool, you should expect shit like this to happen.

This is a story?

Try wearing a hawks jersey at joe louis
How about a ravens jersey in cleveland?
I know...why don't you go hang out in columbus in a michigan jersey and see what happens.

not saying it's right...I just don't see how this is news

Agreed. Its not really news at all.

Mikey
03-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Agreed. Its not really news at all.

Right up there with "Hudson Street Hooligan chokes other Hudson Street Hooligan with cock"....