PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday,Mar.20

denime
03-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Mornin'

Here we go MLSE has something to say too.

Peddie says MLS union asking for too much (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/782653--peddie-says-mls-union-asking-for-too-much)_:facepalm:

and if that is not enough for Saturday morning here is another good one:

Watch Nick Garcia interview on TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1682)_:thumbsup:__:hide:

No more excuses (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/03/19/dobson_mls/)

TFC fans want to know who said no news is good news (http://www.examiner.com/x-38691-Toronto-FC-Examiner%7Ey2010m3d19-TFC-fans-want-to-know-who-said-no-news-is-good-news)

Canadian soccer style should be somewhere in between (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/james-on-soccer/canadian-soccer-style-should-be-somewhere-in-between/article1505690/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Cashcleaner
03-20-2010, 05:50 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/782653--peddie-says-mls-union-asking-for-too-much

Wow. Richard Peddie has absolutely no clue. MLS has a lot of clubs with profitability issues at the moment, but little of that is the players fault. And I don't think that throwing a few scraps their way is of anyone's benefit either.

scooter
03-20-2010, 06:25 AM
mornin d

ag futbol
03-20-2010, 07:59 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/article/782653--peddie-says-mls-union-asking-for-too-much

Wow. Richard Peddie has absolutely no clue. MLS has a lot of clubs with profitability issues at the moment, but little of that is the players fault. And I don't think that throwing a few scraps their way is of anyone's benefit either.
Yeah FYI Richard Peddie profits and what you put on the field are related not just in terms of expenses but revenues as well! Does MLS have a clue how many nay-sayers they could win over if they actually started to meaningfully inch up the quality over time? The attitude of "I'll give you the product you want, once I make money" where else in business has that worked?

Either you give the consumer what they want, or they don't buy it. Some MLS teams do not have an operation that will ever be profitable (or grow) because their business model is all wrong. Is it the players fault teams like Colorado have rode "family day at the park" all the way into oblivion?

Increasing product quality (through payroll and related benefits) will help MLS tap into the marginal consumer they aren't getting right now. That will mean more money for everyone.

ag futbol
03-20-2010, 08:02 AM
TFC fans want to know who said no news is good news (http://www.examiner.com/x-38691-Toronto-FC-Examiner%7Ey2010m3d19-TFC-fans-want-to-know-who-said-no-news-is-good-news)
[/B][/I]
This is a great article. I particularly liked this part:

It can be argued team management is forced to take a wait and see approach to new signings with labor unrest looming over the season opener. But then most other teams around MLS have been announcing new signings on a “business-as-usual” basis.

mastermixer
03-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Peddie is an a-hole. He's big wig in charge of all three of Toronto's teams and look what shape they all are in.

ag futbol
03-20-2010, 08:18 AM
^ I think the funniest part is that when the raptors were in the tubes, the NBA pretty much forced them to hire a consultant. One of his conclusions (it's rumored) was that the players though Richard Peddie was such a douche bag: not only was he making them unhappy he was hurting thee club's reputation. End result: Peddie no longer allowed in the locker room.

He should go back to P&G to sell soap.

Eastend
03-20-2010, 08:34 AM
The end result of all the articles, everyday, is that MO MUST GO!

rocker
03-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Does MLS have a clue how many nay-sayers they could win over if they actually started to meaningfully inch up the quality over time?

From what Mark Abbott of MLS said (the only details I have on the league's position), they have offered to meaningfully inch up the quality over time through raising the cap every year of the deal.

The interesting thing is, the players say they haven't been focused on the money much. I suspect this is because the players don't want the cap or the quality to increase too much, or else many of them would be out of a job. The relatively low cap and domestic quotas (and this desire for more guaranteed deals) protect jobs for many guys who wouldn't have them if MLS put more money into salaries. In other words, if MLS raised the cap to $5million overnight, I would suspect half our players would be turfed out of the league for better players.

Pigfynn
03-20-2010, 09:04 AM
From what Mark Abbott of MLS said (the only details I have on the league's position), they have offered to meaningfully inch up the quality over time through raising the cap every year of the deal.

The interesting thing is, the players say they haven't been focused on the money much. I suspect this is because the players don't want the cap or the quality to increase too much, or else many of them would be out of a job. The relatively low cap and domestic quotas (and this desire for more guaranteed deals) protect jobs for many guys who wouldn't have them if MLS put more money into salaries. In other words, if MLS raised the cap to $5million overnight, I would suspect half our players would be turfed out of the league for better players.

They certainly would. What use is someone like Ty Harden with a 5 million cap?

Redcoe15
03-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Peddie :prrr:

And that SSG screams scary. :yikes:

rocker
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM
oh i hope this is true!!!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/soccer/6922397.html

Jitter
03-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Duane Rollins just retweeted from a USA Today writer that MLS is going to have a media teleconference at 1pm today presumably about the potential strike:

Jitter
03-20-2010, 09:23 AM
then this: Duane Rollins- "Yeah...just read the press release. It's over. We're gonna have a season folks!"

sully
03-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Sounds promising

menefreghista
03-20-2010, 09:27 AM
This is great news if true.

So, what are the chances we sign 6-8 players in the next 6 days? :facepalm:

Jitter
03-20-2010, 09:35 AM
JohnMolinaro (http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)
MLS strike averted!

Pigfynn
03-20-2010, 09:37 AM
^Does he KNOW this?

Boondaddy
03-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Looks like strike not happening...5 yr deal !!

Nuvinho
03-20-2010, 09:39 AM
This is great news if true.

So, what are the chances we sign 6-8 players in the next 6 days? :facepalm:

Mo's blackberry has been charging for over 2 months...he is ready to go.....hahaha!!!

Jitter
03-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Maybe he'll come on these boards and confirm...

menefreghista
03-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Mo's blackberry has been charging for over 2 months...he is ready to go.....hahaha!!!

LOL.

Well, at least it might make it easier to sign guys like Said and that Italian. I'm sure if there was a strike they would have been gone.

Beach_Red
03-20-2010, 10:09 AM
The end result of all the articles, everyday, is that MO MUST GO!

Wow, I was going to say finally, finally we're looking higher up the chain. Why not Peddie must go? Why not MLSE must go?

Three teams, all very poorly run. Yeah, yeah, Burke and Colangelo are going to turn things around, sure they are, their five year plans will be great.

MLSE please sell all your teams. Balsillie will buy the Leafs and throw in TFC, too.

MFG1
03-20-2010, 10:49 AM
"We're really investing in the team and not taking the fans for granted," Peddie said

Is he serious? really. there is no other way to describe it other than taking us for granted. you cant put perfume on a pig.

15 years is a long enough time for a league to be stable. Perhaps its the methods of how they go about managing their business and promoting it properly ie. CBA's like this one and the latter , marketing....

rocker
03-20-2010, 10:52 AM
"We're really investing in the team and not taking the fans for granted," Peddie said

Is he serious? really. there is no other way to describe it other than taking us for granted. you cant put perfume on a pig. ...

I don't like the Peddie and hate to defend him...

but TFC is not investing? they bought GolTV... grass... new stand... DP.... hmmm????

the business side of the operation is clearly investing in the team. The results on the field, are different.

boban
03-20-2010, 11:02 AM

Is he serious? really. there is no other way to describe it other than taking us for granted. you cant put perfume on a pig.
I was thkning the same thing.
Not taking them for granted but then scaling a section by more than doubling the price of tickets for a section, almost doubling the price of the new stand than the south stand, constantly passing double digit increases in tickets year over year while not making the playoffs and unattractive product, minimal investment in infrastructure while amongst the highest ticket prices .. no not taking advantage of the fans at all. :rolleyes:

drewski
03-20-2010, 11:06 AM

but TFC is not investing? they bought GolTV... grass... new stand... DP.... hmmm????

the business side of the operation is clearly investing in the team. The results on the field, are different.

+1

MLSE's job is to hire a management team to run the soccer side of things and give them they money and infrastructure to succeed. They've done all that. The onfield performance is Mo's responsibility and he's failed.

The only way I will blame MLSE in this is if by the end at the season we haven't improved significantly (a marginal improvement is more than canceled out by Mo's lack of class), and they don't respond by getting rid of Mo

Beach_Red
03-20-2010, 11:13 AM
+1

MLSE's job is to hire a management team to run the soccer side of things and give them they money and infrastructure to succeed. They've done all that. The onfield performance is Mo's responsibility and he's failed.

The only way I will blame MLSE in this is if by the end at the season we haven't improved significantly (a marginal improvement is more than canceled out by Mo's lack of class), and they don't respond by getting rid of Mo

That may be a start, but you should also be concened about who they bring in and what kind of a deal they give him. And how much they meddle. Leafs GMs never complained about it directly, but they gave big contracts to players that were uncharacteristic of the way they'd run other teams.

And really, how can divisions of a single corporation have different personalities? The way of doing business seeps into everything in this kind of bureauocratic organization.

As long as the same mentality is at play here, why should the results be any different?

boban
03-20-2010, 11:18 AM
And really, how can divisions of a single corporation have different personalities? The way of doing business seeps into everything in this kind of bureauocratic organization.

As long as the same mentality is at play here, why should the results be any different?
Nuff Said right here.
Bang Fuckin ON!!!!

Oldtimer
03-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Actually, the mentality IS different on the soccer side of things. It's because the upper management think they know something about hockey and all like to play armchair GM, but they all realize they know beans all about soccer.

So they leave all the decisions... to someone familiar with MLS... Mo.

So the fault is Mo, and I agree with the sentiment that MLSE (Anselmi, actually) are at fault only if the team tanks again and they fail to get rid of Mo.

Mark in Ottawa
03-20-2010, 11:59 AM
And that SSG screams scary. :yikes:
What?? She looks great.
Looks like a women with a good sense of humour who doesn't take life too seriously.

shutupkid
03-20-2010, 12:18 PM
It's Official! There will be a season. Columbus Sucks. WooHoo!

Roogsy
03-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah FYI Richard Peddie profits and what you put on the field are related not just in terms of expenses but revenues as well! Does MLS have a clue how many nay-sayers they could win over if they actually started to meaningfully inch up the quality over time? The attitude of "I'll give you the product you want, once I make money" where else in business has that worked?

I am glad you said it. Lots of people are not getting this point.

MLS teams that aren't making money, are they really blaming it on the players? Players are your PRODUCT! You have to spend good money on your product to ensure continued loyalty and interest in your brand. If you want a lesson on how quickly things turn once people get a whiff of lack of quality, just look at Toyota. They've had the reputation for top quality for more than a decade and all it took was a short period of time where their quality was questioned and now they are experiencing serious worries.

Whatever teams have to do on the road to profitability, the one thing they can't sacrifice is the product and have to continue to improve it. If the MLS owners are demanding that they turn a profit before they improve on the product, they're the dumbest business men on the planet and MLS is doomed anyways, and it won't be the players fault.

ALL businesses have to invest in the quality of their product before they start to benefit from profits. I am seriously wondering what the heck Peddie did to win the lottery and luck himself into a plum job at MLSE where it seems like making money is almost the easiest thing in the world and it's hard to really credit them with being "smart businessmen" at all. It's like anyone short of a dead corpse could run that business and make money. They don't impress me at all.

Beach_Red
03-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Actually, the mentality IS different on the soccer side of things. It's because the upper management think they know something about hockey and all like to play armchair GM, but they all realize they know beans all about soccer.

So the fault is Mo, and I agree with the sentiment that MLSE (Anselmi, actually) are at fault only if the team tanks again and they fail to get rid of Mo.

Okay, so from MLSE's point of view, what do you mean, "Tanks again?" If they've really handed over complete control of the team then they've also set some goals - and those goals have been completely met so far - and been rewarded with another short-term contract.

That's the bureauocratic mentality I'm talking about. They don't think the team has tanked yet - every season has been more successful than the last in terms of points, since the Edu sale the team has been making tons of money. Do you think they care about how players are treated or how much the team is scrambling week to week? No, because they've handed over control. So, do you wnat them to care about the details and get involved, or had them over and only look at the results?

MLSE have never made any of their executives' jobs reliant on winning a championship in any sport. It was Mo himself wo said if the team doesn't make the playoffs this year he'd quit - no one at MLSE said it.

Maybe, maybe when things are extremely desperate in TFC land they'll be pushed into a deep enough hole to actually give a GM a long-term contract and really hand over the team as they have apparently done with Brian Burke - but as you said, they think they know hockey so maybe they haven't.

Sorry, there's really no way to look at this that let's ownership off the hook. Any other change is merely cosmetic.

MFG1
03-20-2010, 01:05 PM
^^^ yeah thats what I am basically saying, if peddie and MLSE fail to realise the right people arent doing their job consistently now for 3 years and it blatently shows at the quality of the product on the field then they are responsible. I appreciate the extra seats and grass and etc. but what fills and pays for those new things is horrible

koryo
03-20-2010, 01:14 PM
We have a season! I'm quite relieved to be honest.

Now, can we focus on running Johnston out of town please?

Pigfynn
03-20-2010, 01:23 PM
^^I wonder if the poor soul knows what's coming?

If things go badly the stands will quickly fill with anti Mo sentiment

koryo
03-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Mo's not dumb, just poor at what he does. I'm sure his kids have read these boards and told him everything.

Roogsy
03-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Maybe the City of Toronto should take note of "kick a ginger day" and ban all gingers from the city permanently?

I know there might be some collateral damage...but isn't it worth it? At least it will guarantee results. :D

koryo
03-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Maybe the City of Toronto should take note of "kick a ginger day" and ban all gingers from the city permanently?

I know there might be some collateral damage...but isn't it worth it? At least it will guarantee results. :D

You know, the thought of putting the boot in on that bastard is a very pleasant one. Be sure to read this comment too kids.

barca99
03-20-2010, 01:36 PM

This is the big point. We're all choked at how this club is run, in all sorts of areas, but if TFC come out of the gates winning, all will be well again. I think it'll be worked out by the home opener.

koryo
03-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Things will go badly, I don't think there's any danger of results unfolding otherwise.

Mo Johnston is the Russell Oliver of the MLS:

"Hellooooooooo, I'm Mo Johnston. I'll buy your used and unwanted players for cash. Don't delay... your old, unwanted players for my cash!"

http://www.oliverjewellery.ca/RussellOliver.jpg

Beach_Red
03-20-2010, 01:54 PM

And what are these results that would be guaranteed? I hope those aren't the kind of guaranteed results you give your clients ;).

koryo
03-20-2010, 01:55 PM
And what are these results that would be guaranteed? I hope those aren't the kind of guaranteed results you give your clients ;).

The guaranteed results would an ass kicking :)

Nuvinho
03-20-2010, 02:00 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1683

Mo is working already ;)

boban
03-20-2010, 03:32 PM
... since the Edu sale the team has been making tons of money....
Actually they havebeen making tons of money straight out the gate.

MLSE have never made any of their executives' jobs reliant on winning a championship in any sport. ...

Maybe, maybe when things are extremely desperate in TFC land they'll be pushed into a deep enough hole to actually give a GM a long-term contract and really hand over the team as they have apparently done with Brian Burke - but as you said, they think they know hockey so maybe they haven't.

Sorry, there's really no way to look at this that let's ownership off the hook. Any other change is merely cosmetic.
Exactly.
I think the way we get rid of them is in the Leafs truly tank and the return is no longer there for them forcing them to sell. We need new ownership.

Roogsy
03-20-2010, 03:37 PM

LOL! I haven't been successful promising results to clients....I have been successful by showing what results I have actually produced. What clients infer at that point is up to them...that's how a good professional does it, in any industry. And a con artist does it the other way around. Most people with sense can understand that, unforunately, there are few people with sense these days and wind up going with con artists more and more, in all parts of life. People who promise results but never produce a track record. TFC bought that hook line and sinker from Mo...and I think at this point it's pride that is stopping them from making any changes, because it will prove they screwed up to begin with by bringing Mo in.

ag futbol
03-20-2010, 03:38 PM

Well ... to be to be fair, and paraphaze Vpjr from an earlier quote.

Yes, they leave the soccer side to Mo (admitting they know next to nothing) but who do they check with to ensure Mo isn't just pulling the wool over their eyes: Noooobooody!

So yeah, I'd still hold them at least partially responsible. Them extending his deal last year half way through the season was boneheaded.

Roogsy
03-20-2010, 03:44 PM
So yeah, I'd still hold them at least partially responsible. Them extending his deal last year half way through the season was boneheaded.

That "partial" responsibility isn't insignificant either.

By extending his deal, it only confirmed what people fear most from MLSE. It made it clear to everyone involved that they were more interested in the profits that are created than in successful records. Mo's cash-cow in selling young players like Mo Edu were rewarded by MLSE, they could care less whether he put a winning product on the pitch. They essentially sent a message of "well done" to someone who hadn't done anything successful soccerwise, but rather just made a good business decision.

Beach_Red
03-20-2010, 03:46 PM
LOL! I haven't been successful promising results to clients....I have been successful by showing what results I have actually produced. What clients infer at that point is up to them...that's how a good professional does it, in any industry. And a con artist does it the other way around. Most people with sense can understand that, unforunately, there are few people with sense these days and wind up going with con artists more and more, in all parts of life. People who promise results but never produce a track record. TFC bought that hook line and sinker from Mo...and I think at this point it's pride that is stopping them from making any changes, because it will prove they screwed up to begin with by bringing Mo in.

But what if you were MLSE and you'd never produced any results in any sport? How can they expect to attract "good professionals?"

Look at it this way, MLSE got a franchise cheap and asked the league what managers were available - Seattle paid a lot more for a franchise and hired the reigning championship coach and just paid the fine for tampering.

Which company would you invest in? And how deep into the company would you look before investing?

Roogsy
03-20-2010, 03:56 PM
But what if you were MLSE and you'd never produced any results in any sport? How can they expect to attract "good professionals?"

MLSE don't need to prove anything to anyone. They are the ones doing the "hiring". The ones doing the hiring are the ones that need to research the track record of the ones that are being hired.

Look at it this way, MLSE got a franchise cheap and asked the league what managers were available - Seattle paid a lot more for a franchise and hired the reigning championship coach and just paid the fine for tampering.It's not like the only two options are a) hire a bad or unproven manager or b) cross legal and ethical lines to hire one that has a successful track record. There are other options...MLSE simply took the easy way out, that's all.

Which company would you invest in? And how deep into the company would you look before investing?Ah and there is the rub as they say. Research and investigation are important and necessary for ANY venture and investment. How much research could MLSE have done with Mo? He had a very limited track record and it wasn't exactly ringing with success at the Metrostars. Of course, nobody knew what a failure he would actually be at building a team. But MLSE can't feed us any lines about making an effort to bring a "winner" either. They went cheap and easy and got exactly what can be expected from that, mediocrity.

I tell you this much...Mo better find another major score like Edu he can sell off or even MLSE won't wait around for him. In the meantime, we've all been screwed for 4 seasons.

Beach_Red
03-20-2010, 04:00 PM
MLSE don't need to prove anything to anyone. They are the ones doing the "hiring". The ones doing the hiring are the ones that need to research the track record of the ones that are being hired.

They may be the only game in this town, they aren't the only ones doing the hiring. Do you think Sigi Schmidt would have accepted a one year contact and moved to Toronto to start up an expansion team from scratch for the money MLSE offered? Do you think even Frank Yallop would have accepted the job under the circumstances offered?

Yes, MLSE have lots to prove to potential hires because those people can go somewhere else. Managers aren't drafted like players, managers have free agency.

How many GMs do you think turned down the Leafs job? The Raptors job?

Roogsy
03-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Having worked with many execs, my feeling is that it would not have been much of an issue. Alpha types love to be the big dog and given projects to make their own. Throw enough money and the right contract at someone like Sigi and he would have come. And it's not like MLSE doesn't have an impressive resume of their own, at least with regards to money and size. I don't see many coaches turning down MLSE. Shoot...even someone with the status of Scotty Bowman would've worked with MLSE (they just screwed up by not accepting his terms), I wouldn't be worried about an MLS manager turning them down.

If anything, this shows that MLSE does bring in whoever they choose...it's just that the method they use to choose those they bring in is flawed. They aren't looking for winners, because winners have demands, they want to run things themselves, and they want compensation. Somewhere in there is something MLSE does not like, either the cost or the lack of control.

ecospice
03-20-2010, 04:12 PM

What happened to the old Fire Peddie website? Maybe it is time to fire it up again...

MFG1
03-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Hey Im a ging!

MLSE shouldnt be worried anymore about the "pride" of knowing they hire the wrong guy they have been doing that since the day Ballard died. It's moot.

Beach_Red
03-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Having worked with many execs, my feeling is that it would not have been much of an issue. Alpha types love to be the big dog and given projects to make their own. Throw enough money and the right contract at someone like Sigi and he would have come. And it's not like MLSE doesn't have an impressive resume of their own, at least with regards to money and size. I don't see many coaches turning down MLSE. Shoot...even someone with the status of Scotty Bowman would've worked with MLSE (they just screwed up by not accepting his terms), I wouldn't be worried about an MLS manager turning them down.

Do these two statements seem inconsistent to you? If anything it show that MLSE couldn't even come to terms with the winningest coach in NHL history - and Detroit had no trouble accepting his terms and entirely turning their franchise around.

Really, what do you think MLSE's reputation is? The NBA had to step in to help the Raptors (who sure had some coaching soap operas of their own), the Leafs can't make the playoffs and TFC is a mess. Don't you think this shows the problems are at the top?

Cashcleaner
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Fair point, but GolTV is pretty much guaranteed to make them money no matter what. The grass was something the fans had to fight tooth and nail for; the new stand is, again, purely a matter of dollars and cents; and the DP is something we should have had when it first became available for us.

MLSE is investing in TFC, there's no doubt about that, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. I still think a lot more could be done to properly support the club from a corporate aspect of things. Ideally, I'd like the overall status of the club to be elevated up alongside that of the Raptors and Leafs. Possibly a pipe dream for the moment, but I strongly believe in creating and maintaining an attitude that will we become THE GREATEST FOOTBALL CLUB IN THE WORLD.

Dirk Diggler
03-20-2010, 06:25 PM
To be honest, I don't think Mo gives a shit about his job. As long as he is getting paid, he would be fine if he gets the boot. He managed to save his job for such a long time by giving that ridiculous "5 year plan" bull shit and securing that contract extension last year. He will consider his stint in Toronto a success. It seems that only in Toronto clowns like JP Riccardi and Mo Johnston manage to hold on to their jobs for so long.

ua-kozak_TFC
03-21-2010, 03:35 AM
To be honest, I don't think Mo gives a shit about his job. As long as he is getting paid, he would be fine if he gets the boot. He managed to save his job for such a long time by giving that ridiculous "5 year plan" bull shit and securing that contract extension last year. He will consider his stint in Toronto a success. It seems that only in Toronto clowns like JP Riccardi and Mo Johnston manage to hold on to their jobs for so long.
DING DING DING!!! we have a winner!!!!
This exactly how I feel, This dude has no morals, no heart or disency... He;ll do anything to save his ass. If he was atleast little bit talented at what he does... People who still suport him keep pointing out to the same stupid shit " he's got a great eye for talent.. and drafting...":picard: my ass he has no idea what he is doing... he just looks to impress people with players that "HAVE BEEN" ex arsenal or new castle...played with messi.. Just to impress the fans and shut them for a little while... Its a revolving cycle. then he pushes everyone else under the train but him...
anyway. i think that the day this douche bag gets fired it will be the biggest progress of the franchise...:scarf:

Oldtimer
03-21-2010, 07:03 AM
In all fairness to the suits at MLSE, no-one knew that an MLS team could be much of a success until TFC.

Based on places like KC and Columbus, MLSE predicted 12-14k attendance. If that was indeed the attendance, they would have lost money for years while getting the team established, hopefully to make a small profit off of their sideline in soccer down the road. Under those circumstances, they went real cheap, hiring a bargain basement manager to be both coach and GM. That was a sensible decision. It was only once they saw that TFC was a hugely profitable success from the get-go that they saw it worthwhile to invest more. In all fairness, that's what they've done (DP, more stands, grass).

Oldtimer
03-21-2010, 07:05 AM
stupid shit " he's got a great eye for talent.. and drafting...":picard: my ass he has no idea what he is doing... he just looks to impress people with players that "HAVE BEEN" ex arsenal or new castle...played with messi..

I think Mo has to go, but I still think he's one of the best drafters in the league. However, that's like 5% of his job, and unlike in gridiron, you can't build a team solely from the draft.

Vecchia Guardia
03-21-2010, 07:31 AM
I have no idea about who is this Peddie, but when he said :"We're years away from profitability.",i have understood that he s an incompetent,mr Peddie i suggest you to study how the udinese works

Beach_Red
03-21-2010, 09:38 AM
In all fairness to the suits at MLSE, no-one knew that an MLS team could be much of a success until TFC.

Based on places like KC and Columbus, MLSE predicted 12-14k attendance. If that was indeed the attendance, they would have lost money for years while getting the team established, hopefully to make a small profit off of their sideline in soccer down the road. Under those circumstances, they went real cheap, hiring a bargain basement manager to be both coach and GM. That was a sensible decision. It was only once they saw that TFC was a hugely profitable success from the get-go that they saw it worthwhile to invest more. In all fairness, that's what they've done (DP, more stands, grass).

Yes, we must always compare ourselves to KC and Columbus, never to Seattle or DC.

All those things MLSE have done have been because the fans demanded them. They dragged their feet on a DP for years, they dragged their feet on grass and only finally gave in when the demand was too loud to ignore.

So now, we need to keep it up. But let's not let them off easy - let's not let them replace one bargain basement GM with another.

Let's demand a full-time, South American-based director of South American scouting. Let's demand a full-time Director of African scouting. Let's demand a proper PR department. Let's demand proper infrastructure.

This is an organization that spent so little on scouting for the richest hockey team in the world that its scouting department needs to be completely rebuilt. Do we really think they'll get a new GM for their soccer team and give him a proper budget unless the fans demand it?

In this city, we have to be careful what we wish for because we do get it.

Beach_Red
03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I think Mo has to go, but I still think he's one of the best drafters in the league. However, that's like 5% of his job, and unlike in gridiron, you can't build a team solely from the draft.

It's also the cheapest scouting the team can do. So maybe if they invested as much in other scouting they'd be just as good at it.

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-21-2010, 09:46 AM
I have no idea about who is this Peddie, but when he said :"We're years away from profitability.",i have understood that he s an incompetent,mr Peddie i suggest you to study how the udinese works
Yeah, the thing is though, unlike Udinese Toronto can't just sell players to balance their budget... Udinese generally buy very low, or for free, and then sell their players for many times more than what they paid for them. Udinese rule, may I add. ;)

Daveisonfire
03-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Good point, never really thought of it that way

tfc2008
03-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Mo hired allone old friends that he know from 50years ago and bringh them to Toronto but dont looked around for players that we needed