PDA

View Full Version : I miss Dichio and season 1.

Eastend
03-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Now, I'm a grown ass man but I have to say this.....

I just finished watching the video for My Town - Toronto FC version, (awesome by the way.....Parky?) and I have to say that I miss Danny Dichio and I miss all the excitement and possibilities that season 1 brought.

The posibility of a strike, the state of our FO, the way our 'Legends' have been treated, it just makes me long for Season 1 when things just looked so fresh and promising.

Maybe it's the beer, maybe it's this never ending off season but I just had to put this out.

Here's hoping everyone does the right thing and we have a season in 6 days.

Thanks and good night.

Dom. :scarf:

Super
03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I agree. As good as those days felt, these current days feel terrible. I think we'll be in a better place when the season finally begins. We had a horrible end to last season, and a less than encouraging off-season, so now we desperately need some real games to hopefully wipe away the negativity. Here's hoping!

Lucky Strike
03-19-2010, 09:11 PM
I was thinking about this just yesterday. Season 1 was so great, not a single open seat, streamers flying everywhere, everyone passionate finding out what it's like to support TFC all together and it didn't matter that the team wasn't very good at all. It'll always be the sweetest season in my mind.

rocker
03-19-2010, 09:13 PM
season 1 had it's problems too that I remember all too well... "all we are sayying.. is give us a goal.." remember the first game against chivas on the road? ugh. then the goalless streak that went on forever...
Dichio and O'Brien getting hurt.... hating to hear Dobson covering road games (worst games ever).

Pachuco
03-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Gee Rocker, way to run a reflection thread :)

I will never forget the feeling when Dichio scored that goal. To this day, I have not felt that emotion again. I have to say, to this day, every time I go to a game I'm hoping the atmosphere and the feeling of Season 1 came back. It's not the same. I don't know what it is, it just isn't. I almost wish I was still an uninformed supporter the way I was when Season 1 began. We constantly lost, dind't score goals, but I was happy enough to have a team and didn't really get into the politics of why the team sucked so bad.

Eastend
03-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah Rocker, thanks a lot....lol.

We all remember those things, they're not easy to forget....but in season 1, we were just happy to have a home team...now we want results.

Anyway, here's hoping we have a season, that it's a good one, and that we make new memories to long for again 4 years down the road....see you all in a month.

night all....

Super
03-19-2010, 09:59 PM
The honeymoon is over. Now it's about results, and ONLY about results - no different than the supporters of any established club in the MLS or around the world. However, we'll always have the memories.

Roogsy
03-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Year 1 was one of the most memorable years of my life. I remember almost every single game. I remember the first game, I remember the last game of the year. Sadly, I don't remember Dichio's goal as I was in England at the time. But pretty much every other moment of the year I was at BMO Field to enjoy...and I remember my first ever away trip...good times.

Year 1 can never be taken away from us.

But we can't live in the past.

ensco
03-19-2010, 10:21 PM
*sniff*

Pigfynn
03-19-2010, 10:26 PM
The real question is...who now will make us believe? that's what Dichio did for this club and it's supporters, he gave us hope.

Where will it come from now?

Super
03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
The real question is...who now will make us believe? that's what Dichio did for this club and it's supporters, he gave us hope.

Where will it come from now?

That's very true. He really helped us form an identity, and even when all looked hopeless he had a way to lift us out of the rut. Not sure where to look now. I guess the team itself - rather than individuals.

Pigfynn
03-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I feel like when we had Dichio in our team even when we lost there was a dignity...we were new to the scene but we had fight and courage.

Dignity is not the word I would use to describe anything I've seen lately. I'm sad for us. I know that I was was once so caught up in the electricity of the future of this club and now...well I'm glad I don't have to write a song let's put it that way.

Super
03-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Dichio was our man, and he wanted to be in Toronto. Not sure I get the same vibe from most players on our team right now. If they all loved Toronto, wanted to play for us more than anything, and gave everything they had in them every single game - Dichio-style - then I'd feel differently. But now, to be honest, it seems like most of our players really don't want to be here.

jloome
03-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Dichio was our man, and he wanted to be in Toronto. Not sure I get the same vibe from most players on our team right now. If they all loved Toronto, wanted to play for us more than anything, and gave everything they had in them every single game - Dichio-style - then I'd feel differently. But now, to be honest, it seems like most of our players really don't want to be here.

It's deeper still: we haven't really had much in the way of offensive players who had his skill moving off the ball and linking up play, and it really shows. Maybe he was just too immobile, but why he was pushed to retire early still makes me wonder what the hell.

Super
03-20-2010, 01:34 AM
It's deeper still: we haven't really had much in the way of offensive players who had his skill moving off the ball and linking up play, and it really shows. Maybe he was just too immobile, but why he was pushed to retire early still makes me wonder what the hell.

It's a shame he was pushed to retire early, but I am happy that he did get a chance to end his career on a high note - instead of ending his career in the 5-0 game against NYRB (although he would've definitely scored 6 to give us the win, heh). I mean, really, who gets to have such a perfect end to their career? He played for many, many years, and yet his years with TFC was without a doubt his best - and where he truly found a home. It pleases me to no end to think back to the days of Dichio, how he became a local hero, and the wonderful moments he gave to us and our history as a club. I will continue to sing his praise at 23:13 for as long as I have a voice to give at BMO. No doubt!

ensco
03-20-2010, 07:55 AM
^What "high note"? Dichio's "retirement" had no high note.

His last appearance, he got put in for the final few minutes of a road game we were losing. He was forced on that road trip practically at gunpoint (by us), and he didn't look right out there. It was terrible.

His last appearance at BMO (none of us knew it at the time) was weeks earlier against the Islanders - he came on late and almost put a diving header off a DeRo ball past the PR GK. I wonder how different things could have been if that had gone in.

canadian_bhoy
03-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Fast forward to 6:18 of this vid. Good times.

Man, I miss this show. Even though they were making fun of MLS, it is still the most entertaining MLS show I've ever seen.

AFSg___gZds