PDA

View Full Version : Three Questions: Plague Me from Our Win against Colorado

DOMIN8R
06-17-2008, 02:23 PM
First, what was that incident between Edwards, Clark and Ref. Marrufo. I don’t mean when Wynne took Clark out. But what happened after that confused me. Edwards tried to have Maruffo stop the play because Clark was rolling around like the diver he was. The ref whistled Edwards to continue the play – essentially choosing to leave Clark off on the side of the pitch wincing in theatrical pain.

Eventually, Marrufo stopped the play and sauntered over but not until Cunningham almost scored. He let it go on for nearly 50 seconds. My initial take was that the Ref. didn’t think it was serious and didn’t want to give it anymore attention than it deserved. After all, he was right. Clarke was fine 1-2 minutes later. But Edwards looked like he was going to draw a yellow to stand up for Clark. WTF? Is that what happened?

Second, did JC have a good look at the penalty/shot and goal against Edwards? Gomez made a great shot, to his credit. Our team did not get scored against because of laziness, sloppiness and complacency as JCs post game interview remarks. It was a fricken great penalty shot. Period. Am I wrong?

Finally, is Cunningham out for next game? He got yellowed for “trickery” so he’s at his limit right? So he won’t be playing on Saturday…..right? Anyone? Bueller?

Steve
06-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Second, did JC have a good look at the penalty/shot and goal against Edwards? Gomez made a great shot, to his credit. Our team did not get scored against because of laziness, sloppiness and complacency as JCs post game interview remarks. It was a fricken great penalty shot. Period. Am I wrong?

(it wasn't a penalty shot, it was a free kick)

Carver was pissed because 1) We gave up the foul, 2) Our defence wasn't tight enough (if it was we wouldn't have had to give up the foul) and 3) (possibly) because the wall wasn't set up well at all.

Finally, is Cunningham out for next game? He got yellowed for “trickery” so he’s at his limit right? So he won’t be playing on Saturday…..right? Anyone? Bueller?

No, Cunningham is on 3 cards, you don't miss a game until 5.

ExiledRed
06-17-2008, 02:35 PM
This is how it looked from 112

The guy rolled around like a fairy, thrashing his legs in the air like a three year old having a temper tantrum and the ref ignored him. His hands were covering his face and he looked like he was about to go into fucking shock.

Another rapid came over, told him he was a fairy and then dragged him back onto the pitch to force a stoppage (which I'm sure is against the rules) and then walked away in disgust.

The whole time we were giving our loudest rendition of "Dig a hole and bury him!" ever, and eventually the guy gets up, shakes it off and runs back onto the pitch, without much treatment at all.

I'm not sure what was said, but it was fucking entertaining.

DOMIN8R
06-17-2008, 02:39 PM

I stand corrected.

And on Cunningham's 3 cards, Thanks, I thought he was at his limit.

Roogsy
06-17-2008, 02:39 PM
What I want to know is why Cunny gets a card for simulation, but Colorado doesn't? Not on this particular play, but man...they were flying out there like they were on trampolines.

ilikemusic
06-17-2008, 02:40 PM
From the other side of the pitch in 120 it actually looked like he may have seriously fucked up his wrist the way he was writhing around. From my angle it looked like it could have been something really bad. Maybe Edwards thought the same thing.

Turns out he was just being a nancy though and the getting pulled back into the field bullshit should have been a yellow card, no questions asked.

Also from my angle, the card Cunny got for diving looked like absolute horseshit. I didnt think he dove one bit (but I havent seen highlights or tv clips so I dunno).

mike
06-17-2008, 02:40 PM
from what i saw on the freekick replay, edwards was cheating a bit and was leaning behind the wall expecting the shot to go over it--leaving room for a lashed shot into the far corner

Jack
06-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Honestly, that display by Clarke was absolutely disgusting.

What a wank. He's now been promoted to one level below Landycakes on my douchebag scale.

Cambridge_Red
06-17-2008, 02:41 PM
If by penalty shot you mean "piss poor wall" or lack of wall then yes it was essentially a penalty shot via free kick. From what I saw over in the NEE secton Robert followed the trailing Rapids player across the back of the wall which left a huge hole to shoot through. We need more practice on defending these set plays Sutton was burned by a similar free kick.

H Bomb
06-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Clark should have been yellow carded for returning to the field of play. The ref allowed it to continue because the Physio should have ran around the track to deal with their player. it was no less than conscious cheating.

DOMIN8R
06-17-2008, 02:47 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thought that Gomez's goal was quality. I didn't notice the wall was that weak.

DOMIN8R
06-17-2008, 02:48 PM
The Clarke incident was very funny though.

pat416
06-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Honestly, that display by Clarke was absolutely disgusting.

What a wank. He's now been promoted to one level below Landycakes on my douchebag scale.

Yeah that was bad, take it like a man and pull up your socks sonny.:canada:

Toronto_Bhoy
06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Clark should have been yellow carded for returning to the field of play. The ref allowed it to continue because the Physio should have ran around the track to deal with their player. it was no less than conscious cheating.

Another case of poor officiating…

ThunderBaby
06-17-2008, 03:09 PM

The guy rolled around like a fairy, thrashing his legs in the air like a three year old having a temper tantrum and the ref ignored him. His hands were covering his face and he looked like he was about to go into fucking shock.

Another rapid came over, told him he was a fairy and then dragged him back onto the pitch to force a stoppage (which I'm sure is against the rules) and then walked away in disgust.

The whole time we were giving our loudest rendition of "Dig a hole and bury him!" ever, and eventually the guy gets up, shakes it off and runs back onto the pitch, without much treatment at all.

Yup! That's what it looked like from the north end to me. (and on tele, when I watched it again later) That was the biggest cry-baby session I've seen in ages.

Hooligan69
06-17-2008, 03:10 PM

It might as well have been a penalty because the defensive wall was horrendous.

The Kingpin
06-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Can anyone explain what "trickery" means? I've been watching football for a long time and I don't have a clue... Did he dive? Was it deception?

Cambridge_Red
06-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Can anyone explain what "trickery" means? I've been watching football for a long time and I don't have a clue... Did he dive? Was it deception?

Heres an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsytHDp2o

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 03:19 PM

Same from 111.
Funny yet pathetic at the same time.

Niall
06-17-2008, 03:21 PM
The ref allowed play to go on because Clark was off the pitch and the ball was in play.
He got dragged back onto the pitch after the ref had acknowledged him to be off in injury. Therefore negating the injured player on the pitch whistle blow. Ref did well to not call the play. He did look real hurt though, and that barrier was well away from it's normal position. But ya it could of been an oscar performance or just a real hurt Jordan fan.

Pachuco
06-17-2008, 03:23 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thought that Gomez's goal was quality. I didn't notice the wall was that weak.

Why I'm I the only one that thinks Edwards was positioned incorrectly?

he got beat on his side because he was behind the wall. Since when does the goalie sit behind the wall? you have to believe your wall will take care of their side and the goalie needs to cover his side. The wall didn't get beat, Edwards got beat. The wall cannot cover the entire net!!!

It is also nearly impossible (MLS standards) to get the ball over the wall from that close and to put it under the bar. Again, Edwards should've been covering his corner in my opinion.

jloome
06-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Why I'm I the only one that thinks Edwards was positioned incorrectly?

he got beat on his side because he was behind the wall. Since when does the goalie sit behind the wall? you have to believe your wall will take care of their side and the goalie needs to cover his side. The wall didn't get beat, Edwards got beat. The wall cannot cover the entire net!!!

It is also nearly impossible (MLS standards) to get the ball over the wall from that close and to put it under the bar. Again, Edwards should've been covering his corner in my opinion.

The book on the guy taking it was probably that he curls it around the side and low, so Edwards cheated to that side. Only thing that makes sense. Ditto with the one Sutton got beat on against New York by Dave Van Denbergh although he was actually cheating to the side the kick went.

Pinkie
06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
yeah the question i had that never got answered was how legal was it for clark to get dragged BACK on the pitch by a teammate when he got injured in order to stop the play.....seems like its a big no-no...

rocker
06-17-2008, 05:47 PM
if you watch Clarke again, it's actually quite funny. He kicked his legs up and down like a little kid and writhes in agony. somebody should make an animated gif of it.

regarding the Gomez goal -- I thought the big problem was that the TFC players moved too much (I thought it was Dunivant).. I guess they thought by opening up Edwards would have a good view and would have that part covered!?!?

MFG1
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
not that I am sticking up for clark but did anyone see when he lifted up his shirt and his hip and waist were totally road rashed? That had to have hurt a bit, come on. from the view from 110, that was an incredible dump none the less. maybe he was rolling around cuz of his hurt pride?

colman1860
06-17-2008, 06:23 PM
The way you defensively set up for a free kick is that the keeper covers one side of the net and the wall covers the other side. Edwards covered the right side of the net, which was already covered by the wall. Gomez shot it straight to the left corner. Carver was rightly ticked at Edwards.

greatwhitenorf
06-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Clarke acted like a proper fruit fly. He went in hard with Wynne, playing the body ahead of the ball. In the immortal words of Jennifer Lopez, after clubbing some skwaking bitchboy into submission in Elmore Leonard's classic Out of Sight: "You wanted to tussle. We tussled."