PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Reed Chat today at 2pm

johnmolinaro
03-19-2010, 10:20 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifaworldcup/news/story/2010/03/15/sp-nigel-chat.html

Got a question about Toronto FC? Stop by the chat room at 2pm and ask away! I'll be moderating for the hour-long chat so I'll try to get to as many questions as I can.

Cheers,
John

Parkdale
03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
thanks for the heads up!

arbogast
03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Excellent. Lots of juicy TFC happenings to discuss. Hopefully you guys can shed some insight on Gerba-Gate.

mastermixer
03-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks John, I'll be looking in.
I have tons of questions, but I doubt anyone has any answers lol.

bgnewf
03-19-2010, 10:37 AM
johnmolinaro (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/member.php?u=653) - you need to start posting this stuff over on www.usector.com (http://www.usector.com) as well as on here.

Cheers

Parkdale
03-19-2010, 10:50 AM
^ why? you guys all come over here anyway :D

bgnewf
03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
^ why? you guys all come over here anyway :D

Some....... but not all mon ami.

Parkdale
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
I know, I know. Just busting your chops!

spring is in the air and I'm in a chop busting mood.
Hmmm... maybe this webchat can help me get some of this chop-busting energy out of my system.

Super
03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I wish we knew what was going on with the damn CBA. But I guess that's anyone's guess at this moment.

bgnewf
03-19-2010, 11:24 AM
I know, I know. Just busting your chops!

spring is in the air and I'm in a chop busting mood.
Hmmm... maybe this webchat can help me get some of this chop-busting energy out of my system.

I want to ask Nigel a simple question....... It'll be in either/or format.

"So... Nigel... Does Mo Johnston have his head up his arse or does Mo Johnston have his head up his arse?"

FluSH
03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifaworldcup/news/story/2010/03/15/sp-nigel-chat.html

Got a question about Toronto FC? Stop by the chat room at 2pm and ask away! I'll be moderating for the hour-long chat so I'll try to get to as many questions as I can.

Cheers,
John

Got questions about TFC???? Do we ever... Personally, this has to be the worst anticipation of a season by a sports team that I have ever experienced...

I'm not sure who said this here before... but the only good thing to look forward to right now is that we have a team in Toronto.

Parkdale
03-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure who said this here before... but the only good thing to look forward to right now is that we have a team in Toronto.

and grass!

maybe if all those blade of grass became sentient and could direct the ball into the opposing team's net....

Super
03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Got questions about TFC???? Do we ever... Personally, this has to be the worst anticipation of a season by a sports team that I have ever experienced...

You said it. I'm a little bit in a state of shock over the current situation. I honestly thought we'd be going into a new season, improved, and ready to finally chase the play-offs. Now we're lucky to not finish last. Lucky to not get utterly humiliated in the league. I'm beyond worried. The fact that Mo still has a job is incredible to me - and worries me even more. Cleaning up this mess could take years, and until Mo is fired we can't start the re-building phase which is likely to take 2-3 seasons.

CoachGT
03-19-2010, 11:37 AM
I may not have access during the session, but I'm interested in the size of roster. Our roster is very small right now compared to others, and I think it is safe to assume that some of the trialists will not be around. We're already experiencing issues with injuries in preseason. It is completely unrealistic to expect no injuries throughout the season. So where are players going to come from and are we expecting them to stay, or will this be another revolving door year?

CoachGT
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
And the questions about season readiness are right there as well. Where are we going to get offense from? And are we anticipating a strike and trying to save money by not signing players?

We all know how well prepared TML were coming out of the last NHL strike.

P-NUTZ
03-19-2010, 11:44 AM
They wont strike. i completely believe they will sort it out at the last second and be on schedule.
P

CoachGT
03-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Then where are the players?

Super
03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
They wont strike. i completely believe they will sort it out at the last second and be on schedule.
P

What makes you so sure? Unless the players go all the way and actually strike then they will never get their way with free agency. Why would they? Now is the best time they've ever had to make demands. They're not likely to let an opportunity like this pass them by - and I think they'll strike unless they get a new CBA this weekend. If not then it's all been a waste.

To me the only way to end this is if the league gives in on the union demands. And I'm just not confident enough that they'll do that.

Beach_Red
03-19-2010, 11:54 AM
And the questions about season readiness are right there as well. Where are we going to get offense from? And are we anticipating a strike and trying to save money by not signing players?

We all know how well prepared TML were coming out of the last NHL strike.

Yes.

reggie
03-19-2010, 12:00 PM
do you think that mo will ever do a chat with the fans.lol

FluSH
03-19-2010, 12:05 PM
This is how bad it's gotten:

In the past I have always been pumped by the start of the season... I would go on and on about TFC and how great the new season will be... encouraging everyone who's never seen a game to see a game...

Now, the question that I dread the most by my colleagues and non-tfc friends is:

When is the season starting? and how are things with TFC?

P-NUTZ
03-19-2010, 12:05 PM
i believe there are some basic factors that will keep them working:

1. players will get decent min wage raises.
2. players will get an added guarenteed contract
3. players will get a higher cap making more room for more jobs
4. players will get an expanded roster size meaning more jobs
5. players will not push their luck as they are generally lucky to have a place to play
6. players will be flexible on other issues like FA as a result of the above
7. players may even "allow" continued negotiations to allow the season to start
8. i hope i'm right with these generalizations

Super
03-19-2010, 12:10 PM
i believe there are some basic factors that will keep them working:

1. players will get decent min wage raises.
2. players will get an added guarenteed contract
3. players will get a higher cap making more room for more jobs
4. players will get an expanded roster size meaning more jobs
5. players will not push their luck as they are generally lucky to have a place to play
6. players will be flexible on other issues like FA as a result of the above
7. players may even "allow" continued negotiations to allow the season to start
8. i hope i'm right with these generalizations

I think that is what they're talking about right now - a compromise. The good news is that neither party have broken off talks, so there's going to be hope till the very last minute. Monday is the deadline. Going to be a long weekend waiting for the news.