PDA

View Full Version : TFC Broadcast schedule

mlsintoronto
03-18-2010, 10:30 AM
March 18, 2010
TORONTO FC ANNOUNCES 2010 BROADCAST SCHEDULE

Toronto FC announced Thursday that for the fourth straight season, all 30 of the team’s regular season games will be broadcast on television across Canada. As an added bonus, all games will also be broadcast in High Definition for the first time ever.

GOLTV Canada will lead off this season’s coverage by showing the first four games of the regular season – including the home opener Thursday, April 15 against the expansion Philadelphia Union. Six of the seven GOLTV games broadcast will be away matches including the team’s final game of the regular season on October 23 against D.C. United. GOLTV is also working with its distributors to maximize the number of Toronto FC games in HD that their HD customers will receive, at no additional charge. Customers will be able to find information on this on the GOLTV and Toronto FC websites.

Returning for their fourth season with Toronto FC is Canada’s national public broadcaster, CBC who leads the way with a 13 game schedule. Their first game will be Sunday, April 25 when Toronto FC hosts the Seattle Sounders FC. Broadcasting the majority of the team’s home games their schedule is highlighted by their annual “Popsicle Soccer Day in Canada” which will happen Saturday, July 10 when the Colorado Rapids visit BMO Field. CBC will also air the team’s first ever visit to Philadelphia on Saturday, July 17.

Rogers Sportsnet will air 10 games this season, seven of which will be on the road. The first match will be Saturday, May 1 when the team travels to Salt Lake City to take on the reigning MLS Cup Champions. The schedule also includes a trip to L.A. when Toronto FC visit the L.A. Galaxy on May 15, as well as the Saturday, September 18 matchup when Toronto FC visits Houston.

“We’re excited to welcome back CBC, Rogers Sportsnet and GOLTV for Toronto FC’s 2010 season,” said Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. “Our soccer broadcasts and broadcast partners play an important role in supporting the growth of Major League Soccer in Canada and fueling the insatiable appetite for our sport across the country.” Anselmi added that broadcasting Toronto FC games in High-Definition will take the soccer viewing experience to a whole new level for fans across the country.

"We're excited to present our fourth season of Major League Soccer on CBC," said Scott Moore, executive director, CBC Sports and general manager, CBC Media Sales & Marketing. "CBC is the home of the world's game, and MLS on CBC is an important part of our strong commitment to bring the best in soccer to Canadians. We're looking forward to a great season ahead."

"Our partnership with Toronto FC is fuelled by our commitment to promoting the sport of soccer in Canada,” said Dave Akande, vice-president of content, Rogers Sportsnet. “We look forward to bringing our audience all of the team's best moments this season."

The complete 2010 broadcast schedule is below; times listed are broadcast start times.

Game Day Date Time (ET) Home Away TV
1 Saturday 3/27/2010 400pm Columbus Toronto FC GOLTV
2 Saturday 10-Apr 730PM New England Toronto FC GOLTV
3 Thursday 15-Apr 700PM Toronto FC Philadelphia GOLTV
4 Sunday 18-Apr 500PM Colorado Toronto FC GOLTV
5 Sunday 25-Apr 200PM Toronto FC Seattle CBC
6 Saturday 1-May 900PM Real Salt Lake Toronto FC RSN
7 Saturday 8-May 400PM Toronto FC Chicago CBC
8 Saturday 15-May 1030PM LA Galaxy Toronto FC RSN
9 Saturday 22-May 400PM Toronto FC New England CBC
10 Saturday 29-May 1030PM San Jose Toronto FC RSN
11 Saturday 5-Jun 400PM Toronto FC Kansas City CBC
12 Saturday 26-Jun 730PM Toronto FC LA Galaxy RSN
13 Thursday 1-Jul 700PM Toronto FC Houston RSN
14 Saturday 10-Jul 1200PM Toronto FC Colorado CBC
15 Saturday 17-Jul 330PM Philadelphia Toronto FC CBC
16 Saturday 24-Jul 400PM Toronto FC Dallas CBC
17 Saturday 31-Jul 830PM Kansas City Toronto FC RSN
18 Saturday 7-Aug 400PM Toronto FC Chivas CBC
19 Wednesday 11-Aug 730PM New York Toronto FC GOLTV
20 Saturday 21-Aug 100PM Toronto FC New York CBC
21 Saturday 28-Aug 700PM Toronto FC Real Salt Lake RSN
22 Saturday 4-Sep 830PM Dallas Toronto FC RSN
23 Wednesday 8-Sep 830PM Chicago Toronto FC RSN
24 Saturday 11-Sep 400PM Toronto FC DC CBC
25 Saturday 18-Sep 830PM Houston Toronto FC RSN
26 Saturday 25-Sep 400PM Toronto FC San Jose CBC
27 Saturday 2-Oct 330PM Seattle Toronto FC CBC
28 Saturday 9-Oct 1030PM Chivas Toronto FC GOLTV
29 Saturday 16-Oct 400PM Toronto FC Columbus CBC
30 Saturday 23-Oct 730PM DC Toronto FC GOLTV

pekduck
03-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks

Carter
03-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks Paul.

(Y)

boban
03-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Great to hear Rogers Sportsnet and CBC are committed (GOLTV is a given) for another season.
Bit of a shame the home opener can't be broadcast on a more accessible channel but them the cards that are dealt.
Here's hoping for a great season.

Redpunkfiddle
03-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Grand. Looking forward to seeing us away in HD and that grass LIVE.

SQUIRREL
03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
HD.... that's awesome.

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 10:40 AM
It should be noted that the April 25th game will be live on Bold.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/18/sp-toronto-fc.html

Edit: the wording is actually confusing. I believe it will be live on both CBC and Bold. I'm assuming Bold is a back up if the NHL playoffs conflict.

As always, every Saturday game on CBC runs the risk of being partially pre-empted due to the NHL playoffs while they are still on.

And the conflict with the Champions League final has also not changed.

Pachuco
03-18-2010, 10:50 AM
This makes no sense to me. The first paragraph says all games will be broadcast in HD.

Then it goes on to say "GOLTV is also working with its distributors to maximize the number of Toronto FC games in HD that their HD customers will receive". What the heck does this mean?

Mark in Ottawa
03-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Bit of a shame the home opener can't be broadcast on a more accessible channel but them the cards that are dealt.

GOL TV is easily accessible. $2. a month on rogers TV.
But yeah... if you have basic cable or no cable at all... well as you said "them the cards that are dealt".

I wonder if TFC will be on the radio? Fan590 via the Internet maybe?
Paul... any word on that?

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 10:55 AM
This makes no sense to me. The first paragraph says all games will be broadcast in HD.

Then it goes on to say "GOLTV is also working with its distributors to maximize the number of Toronto FC games in HD that their HD customers will receive". What the heck does this mean?

Probably trying to work out something similar to Leafs TV? Where its only in HD during live games, and then the channel is essentially shut off.

johnmolinaro
03-18-2010, 10:57 AM
To be clear: All 13 games are live on the main CBC network and streamed live (and on-demand) on CBCSports.ca.

The April 25 game will air live on Bold IN ADDITION to airing live on CBC main network and CBCSports.ca.

I just spoke to someone in TV. We will try to air as many games in HD as we can, but we are limited by the availability of HD trucks with so many sports going on. If there's an HD truck available, our game will be done in HD.

John

It should be noted that the April 25th game will be live on Bold.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/18/sp-toronto-fc.html

Edit: the wording is actually confusing. I believe it will be live on both CBC and Bold. I'm assuming Bold is a back up if the NHL playoffs conflict.

As always, every Saturday game on CBC runs the risk of being partially pre-empted due to the NHL playoffs while they are still on.

And the conflict with the Champions League final has also not changed.

Eastend
03-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Great to hear Rogers Sportsnet and CBC are committed (GOLTV is a given) for another season.
Here's hoping for a great season.

All channels are accessible. GOLTV is only $2.79/month. I understand you have to take that extra step and order it but I would not say it is not accessible.

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
All channels are accessible. GOLTV is only $2.79/month. I understand you have to take that extra step and order it but I would not say it is not accessible.

Agreed. People may want to bitch about it (not saying you are bitching boban), but the days of sport on over-the-air broadcast TV is coming to an end, with the exception of the real big major events.

Glory_Hunter
03-18-2010, 11:01 AM
GolTV had the friendly against Real Madrid last year in HD as a one off.

Pachuco
03-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Oh lord are you kidding me John? I'm going into my 7th year with an HD television and you guys still can't work this crap out?

So Paul, what do you mean when you say " As an added bonus, all games will also be broadcast in High Definition for the first time ever." if CBC is saying they aren't planning on broadcasting any game in HD?

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 11:02 AM
GolTV had the friendly against Real Madrid last year in HD as a one off.

Yes. And they put it on the channel that shows Leaf TV games.

deltox
03-18-2010, 11:03 AM
so all games are in HD.

but CBC will not show them in HD?

WHITEY
03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Oh lord are you kidding me John? I'm going into my 7th year with an HD television and you guys still can't work this crap out?

So Paul, what do you mean when you say " As an added bonus, all games will also be broadcast in High Definition for the first time ever." if CBC is saying they aren't planning on broadcasting any game in HD?

so all games are in HD.

but CBC will not show them in HD?

HAHAHA! This should be good; can hardly wait for the answer!

boban
03-18-2010, 11:09 AM
But yeah... if you have basic cable or no cable at all... well as you said "them the cards that are dealt".

I wonder if TFC will be on the radio? Fan590 via the Internet maybe?
Paul... any word on that?
Viewership is bigger on Sportsnet, and to kick off the season it would be great to have a bigger target tv audience.
Putting it on GOLTV is like preaching to the choir.
But like I said, that how it is then that how it is.

boban
03-18-2010, 11:11 AM
The tv audience is bigger on Sportsnet, ergo more accessible.

James17930
03-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Where's the asterisk? As in:

*Providing there is actually a season.

Eastend
03-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Boban, I agree that Sportsnet does reach a wider range of people and it would make sense to put the majority of games on Sportsnet and CBC to reach a new audience...I was commenting, as Mark was, that all channels are accessible now, some just take more work then others.

jabbronies
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Rogers customers:

Does anyone know if I have to be part of the VIP package to buy this channel?

I've tried to buy single channels in the past and those cocksuckers told me I have to be a VIP customer to do so.

Eastend
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't think so, I was just on their site and it was allowing me to select the single channel....however, I was not logged in when I was doing this and I am a VIP client.

disclaimer: I think VIP means they know I will pay so they charge me more for everything....not that I am an important client.

Glory_Hunter
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
The April 25th game against Seattle (http://www.soundersfc.com/Matchday/Schedule.aspx)may be on King TV, so if you have time shifting you can watch it in HD there.

Pachuco
03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
ESPN is going to broadcast the world cup in 3D. That's even before 99% of the people have 3D capable televisions in their homes.

CBC at the same time will be broadcasting TFC in 4:3 with a resolution that only fits on a TV I've had for 10 years.

Unbelievable!

Oh, still waiting for some clarity on that press release.

johnmolinaro
03-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Just been told all games will be 16:9.

John

ESPN is going to broadcast the world cup in 3D. That's even before 99% of the people have 3D capable televisions in their homes.

CBC at the same time will be broadcasting TFC in 4:3 with a resolution that only fits on a TV I've had for 10 years.

Unbelievable!

Oh, still waiting for some clarity on that press release.

mastermixer
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I definately agree that putting games on GoalTV stunts the growth of TFC fanbase.

I look at it this way... I know I wouldnt order a specialty channel just to watch a couple of Toronto Rock games or even Blue Jays games, but if it was on one of my existing channels I might flip it on to see what's going on.

My guess is that this move puts a little more profit in the MLSE pockets by making TFC fans fork over a little more dough. I wonder if they had no choice but to put them on GoalTV (no other networks available) or they looked at it from a business angle and saw some more dollars. Either way it sucks for the casual fan who wants to see more TFC.

Redpunkfiddle
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Sportsnet's 10 games will be in HD:

http://twitter.com/sportsnetsoccer

zooko62000
03-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Anyone know how much GolTV is throung Shaw/Star Choice?

Glory_Hunter
03-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Anyone know how much GolTV is throung Shaw/Star Choice?
It's $2.49, or you can get two digital channels for $2.99 total.

Mark in Ottawa
03-18-2010, 11:33 AM
The tv audience is bigger on Sportsnet, ergo more accessible.
But if the game is on Sportsnet then ML$E doesn't get any of the $2. or so that people will pay to see that home opener on Gol-TV which they own... right?

Pachuco
03-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Just been told all games will be 16:9.

John

Sooo is that 16:9 720P/1080i? or are we talking about 16:9 480P (No-HD)?

BrianW
03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
According to Sportsnet's website their games will be on the Ontario and Pacific channels only. Obviously those of us in the West region are supposed to watch the poker that they'll inevitably show instead.

Pachuco
03-18-2010, 11:41 AM
According to Sportsnet's website their games will be on the Ontario and Pacific channels only. Obviously those of us in the West region are supposed to watch the poker that they'll inevitably show instead.

I get Sportsnet W and P as well. I've never requested them I just seem to get them. Is that not the same for you over there?

johnmolinaro
03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Sooo is that 16:9 720P/1080i? or are we talking about 16:9 480P (No-HD)?

Sorry I'm not a TV guy so I'm not sure what you mean. All these numbers are confusing me!! :)

All I can say is what I mentioned earlier: we're doing all 13 games in 16:9 and when we can, we will do games in HD.

John

boban
03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Boban, I agree that Sportsnet does reach a wider range of people and it would make sense to put the majority of games on Sportsnet and CBC to reach a new audience...I was commenting, as Mark was, that all channels are accessible now, some just take more work then others.
No. Some take more money than others.

moralis
03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Question for Paul Beirne,

Do you know if the Fan 590 will air Toronto FC games like last season?

Thanks

swan
03-18-2010, 01:25 PM

maybe if you are with rogers but with bell i have to get some damn package with a bunch of dumb ass channels and pay more..

as goes for sports net since rogers owns that channel it's part of their basic package but with bell i have to buy some other package and pay more money for it.. bell sucks...

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 01:39 PM
maybe if you are with rogers but with bell i have to get some damn package with a bunch of dumb ass channels and pay more..

as goes for sports net since rogers owns that channel it's part of their basic package but with bell i have to buy some other package and pay more money for it.. bell sucks...

Nothing beats Robbers Cable, where you need to pay an additional $30/month (for the VIP package) to have access to the Score or TSN2.

Last time I was pricing out Bell Express Vu, it was possible to buy Gol TV as a separate channel at a reasonable price.

Pachuco
03-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Sorry I'm not a TV guy so I'm not sure what you mean. All these numbers are confusing me!! :)

All I can say is what I mentioned earlier: we're doing all 13 games in 16:9 and when we can, we will do games in HD.

John

Basically I was asking if they would be broadcasted in HD. 16:9 as you now know doesn't necessarily mean HD. So therefore, you aren't planning on doing all games in HD. Paul still said all 30 games will be in HD. Looks like TFC isn't talking to CBC when they send out press releases.

johnmolinaro
03-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Basically I was asking if they would be broadcasted in HD. 16:9 as you now know doesn't necessarily mean HD. So therefore, you aren't planning on doing all games in HD. Paul still said all 30 games will be in HD. Looks like TFC isn't talking to CBC when they send out press releases.

Gotcha.

All I know is this: all games will be 16:9. We will TRY to do games in HD when we can. When we can't do games in HD, they will still be in 16:9

As far as the press release goes, I don't know anything about that so I can't answer any questions. Sorry.

John

Pigfynn
03-18-2010, 01:52 PM
You can't go by press releases with this lot! They have absolutely NO FUCKING IDEA what they're doing anymore

sully
03-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Saturday 22-May 400PM Toronto FC New England CBC

is this the day of the Champions League Final?

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Saturday 22-May 400PM Toronto FC New England CBC

is this the day of the Champions League Final?

Yes it is.

jaahuuu
03-18-2010, 01:58 PM
:( Not to me.

Even if I bought every channel my cable company offers, the only channel that I can get that carries TFC games is CBC (non-HD), I'll only get to see 2 road games.

Oldtimer
03-18-2010, 02:04 PM
:( Not to me.

Even if I bought every channel my cable company offers, the only channel that I can get that carries TFC games is CBC (non-HD), I'll only get to see 2 road games.

Try the mlsnet offer to see them online, or since you are in the U.S., go with Direct Kick. :)

Mikey
03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm happy there's no games on the Score this season. Drives me NUTS when they zoom a live game down into a small window every 15 minutes, so they can "update me" on something else.....:facepalm: when if I cared about the something else, I would be watching that instead!

rdroze
03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Rogers customers:

Does anyone know if I have to be part of the VIP package to buy this channel?

I've tried to buy single channels in the past and those cocksuckers told me I have to be a VIP customer to do so.
You do not have to be a VIP customer to get GOLTV. Last year I called up Rogers and asked to add just that one channel, and there was no problem. I'm not VIP.

mmmikey
03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
wow. a lot of negativity about the CBC HD thing...

all TFC can do is ensure the games are shot in HD, it's up to the networks to follow through and actually show them in HD. i think the complaints need to be sent CBC's way and not necessarily directly to John, since he is already there representing the soccer community.

what's the alternative? demand that TFC not sell games to stations unless they guarantee HD coverage? that will hurt the games exposure more than anything since CBC has the greatest national exposure out of GolTV, Sportsnet and CBC. if we want to keep the game growing, they need to have games shown on CBC. best action would be to pressure CBC before, and after every SD game they show this season. if they see a demand increase, it might make them prioritize it more.

they haven't said that none will be in HD, just not all. i for one am ok with watching the odd standard def game on my big screen if it means its good for the sport.. setanta is always standard def, and while it's not ideal, i will take what i can get. if the CBC drops below something like half the games in HD... now that's getting ridiculous.

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Just guessing, but CBC's TFC games won't be in HD until the NHL playoffs are over.

mlsintoronto
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Question for Paul Beirne,

Do you know if the Fan 590 will air Toronto FC games like last season?

Thanks

Yes - Fan again for 2010!

moralis
03-18-2010, 03:11 PM
That's awesome news. I hope Dan Dunleavy and Bob Iarusschi continue doing the commentary.

Thanks Paul. Your doing a great job at TFC.

boban
03-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Yes that is awesome news.
Do you know if the FAN has any ideas on extending the post game show?

mlsintoronto
03-18-2010, 03:16 PM
not sure boban. will try to find out...

Broadview
03-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Better be in HD!!!

Mail me Q-Tips!

swan
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Nothing beats Robbers Cable, where you need to pay an additional $30/month (for the VIP package) to have access to the Score or TSN2.

Last time I was pricing out Bell Express Vu, it was possible to buy Gol TV as a separate channel at a reasonable price.

i asked today if i can just get Gol TV and she told me i have to get a package and the price all depended on how may themes i have..

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 03:39 PM
i asked today if i can just get Gol TV and she told me i have to get a package and the price all depended on how may themes i have..

Hmm. That sucks.

Maybe I didn't mind because it came with other channels I wanted.

Edit: Wow, Bell might be more retarded than Rogers. Gol TV is only available in a package with a bunch of fishing channels. How stupid.

JonO
03-18-2010, 03:45 PM
wow. a lot of negativity about the CBC HD thing...

all TFC can do is ensure the games are shot in HD, it's up to the networks to follow through and actually show them in HD. i think the complaints need to be sent CBC's way and not necessarily directly to John, since he is already there representing the soccer community.

Huh? TFC does not "shoot" the games the network does. If CBC doesn't shoot the game in HD, then it cannot broadcast it in HD. What I believe John is saying that they may not have the HD truck for all games, so all games may not be shot in HD.

It doesn't jive with the press release, which is what Pachuco is pointing out...

mmmikey
03-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Huh? TFC does not "shoot" the games the network does. If CBC doesn't shoot the game in HD, then it cannot broadcast it in HD. What I believe John is saying that they may not have the HD truck for all games, so all games may not be shot in HD.

It doesn't jive with the press release, which is what Pachuco is pointing out...

sry your right, i was typing fast and didnt review it and totally messed up what i was sayin.... i meant they can only pick out ppl who have the tech to do it (should have read "capable of being shot in HD" or soemthing). beyond that unless it is written in a contract they can't force them to actually do it in HD. that was more my point, that it is better not to force CBC to guarantee HD because it has the widest distribution.

the other posters are right, if there is hockey or something, that's probably where we will lose out.

edit: can anyone think of any other events (i assume the gta area is our main concern here) that would possibly require an HD truck this summer??

Ajaxjambo
03-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Loving the foresight of the League and TFC here. The CL Final Kickoff is likely 3pm. cant wait to see the ratings for the TFC game as well as the empty seats. Manutd vs Barca or TFC scabs vs NEng scabs?

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Loving the foresight of the League and TFC here. The CL Final Kickoff is likely 3pm. cant wait to see the ratings for the TFC game as well as the empty seats. Manutd vs Barca or TFC scabs vs NEng scabs?

2:45pm to be exact.

sully
03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Mlsintoronto/PB: I've never asked you a question before but I feel compelled now...let me frame this: what in the name God, of all that makes even the most remoteness of a bit of sense in this world..why, why and why would the powers that be, put our game on May 22 up against the Champions League Final?? The only games I've missed before have been because of the strong will of my wife, including my wedding and honeymoon...and now TFC/CBC are doing this! Please tell me what is being done to rectify this situation?

TFC USA
03-18-2010, 06:26 PM
As long as none of that stupid Footie Fan Poll shit is on CBC this is great.

mmmikey
03-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Agreed!!!!!

mmmikey
03-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Mlsintoronto/PB: I've never asked you a question before but I feel compelled now...let me frame this: what in the name God, of all that makes even the most remoteness of a bit of sense in this world..why, why and why would the powers that be, put our game on May 22 up against the Champions League Final?? The only games I've missed before have been because of the strong will of my wife, including my wedding and honeymoon...and now TFC/CBC are doing this! Please tell me what is being done to rectify this situation?

this came up before.. He said at the time they didn't think of it since this is the first year it has been on a weekend.. They tried to change it at that point but couldn't because of broadcaster commitments (if I recall correctly)

johnmolinaro
03-18-2010, 06:43 PM

We stopped doing that midway through last season.

John

Nuvinho
03-18-2010, 07:30 PM
so I take it, they aren't going to change the time for the May 22nd game.

I was hoping they change the time to earlier....so I can catch the CL final, then also be able to get to a wedding reception by 7pm....hahaha!!!

jazzy
03-19-2010, 01:19 AM
I definately agree that putting games on GoalTV stunts the growth of TFC fanbase.

I look at it this way... I know I wouldnt order a specialty channel just to watch a couple of Toronto Rock games or even Blue Jays games, but if it was on one of my existing channels I might flip it on to see what's going on.

My guess is that this move puts a little more profit in the MLSE pockets by making TFC fans fork over a little more dough. I wonder if they had no choice but to put them on GoalTV (no other networks available) or they looked at it from a business angle and saw some more dollars. Either way it sucks for the casual fan who wants to see more TFC.

GOLTV is worth the money, compared to say Santana which isn't in HD here and a rip-off. Only $3.00......and they have very good soccer reports, which by the way give good insight to MLS.....Actually if TFC makes $ from TV I would be happy, the league would attract attention from bigger wealthier owners....cheap at $3.00, someone has to pay....soccer isn't worth $3.00/mth....(that's what a bag of chips).yeashhh

Gixmo
03-19-2010, 07:20 AM
GOL is available A la Carte with Bell.. I picked it up solely for the final last year @ NYRB and well, I didn't get my monies worth so I continue to pay for it :) I didn't see this post before I twittered PB about GOLTV and HD. I heavily weigh up the extra cost as I really only watch it for the match, and maybe the TFC TV show once before it goes on loop. If GOLTV were to introduce HD on an ongoing basis, I would be far more inclined to take the wife's insistent whining and keep Gol attached to my account. It's a nominal cost and the return is pretty good... and the LeafsTV girl is a smoking hot babe! Time to update the RPB calendar!

GBV
03-19-2010, 07:23 AM

and, if you don't have a box, you gotta deal with a) going to get one and b) paying for it. i think!?

fine for me, but for guys like my pops -- a huge soccer fan, born in europe, who will watch MLS "sure, when it's on" -- don't think him and his ilk are going to go out seeking a digital box etc.

Wagner
03-19-2010, 07:28 AM
:(
my building is wired with old school expressvu/bell TV...and for some reason, GolTV isn't an option.
sucks.

I guess I'll have to scoot to Joe's or find it on the internets.

boban
03-19-2010, 07:31 AM
and, if you don't have a box, you gotta deal with a) going to get one and b) paying for it. i think!?

fine for me, but for guys like my pops -- a huge soccer fan, born in europe, who will watch MLS "sure, when it's on" -- don't think him and his ilk are going to go out seeking a digital box etc.
Exactly.
But these arguments of 'just go pay for it' have nothing to do with it.
Fact is Sportsnet draws way more than GOLTV, and as a season opener it would have made sense to have the game shown to a wider audience.

Gixmo
03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm in the process of completing a 2010 Schedule for Google Calendars, Outlook etc. I will post a link when it is finished later on this afternoon for you all.

swan
03-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Hmm. That sucks.

Maybe I didn't mind because it came with other channels I wanted.

Edit: Wow, Bell might be more retarded than Rogers. Gol TV is only available in a package with a bunch of fishing channels. How stupid.

because anyone who wants a soccer channel clearly wants to watch fishing...

we should be able to pick our own channels for packages .. say you get 8 channels per pack you can pick 8 of whatever you want and they can make the good onews cost 2 but at least i can get what i want instaed of haveing 30 channels i don't.. i'm rambling like you work for bell sorry..

menefreghista
03-19-2010, 08:16 AM
because anyone who wants a soccer channel clearly wants to watch fishing...

we should be able to pick our own channels for packages .. say you get 8 channels per pack you can pick 8 of whatever you want and they can make the good onews cost 2 but at least i can get what i want instaed of haveing 30 channels i don't.. i'm rambling like you work for bell sorry..

I blame the CRTC for this bullshit. Rogers and Bell both suck!

Gixmo
03-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Menefreghista : I have GOL TV a la carte? You should be able to as well, hit the online chat and FIGHT!

jabbronies
03-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Gotcha.

All I know is this: all games will be 16:9. We will TRY to do games in HD when we can. When we can't do games in HD, they will still be in 16:9

As far as the press release goes, I don't know anything about that so I can't answer any questions. Sorry.

John

16:9 doesn't necessarily mean HD, it just means widescreen.

menefreghista
03-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Menefreghista : I have GOL TV a la carte? You should be able to as well, hit the online chat and FIGHT!

I do as well.

Swan was complaining that Bell doesn't offer it that way.

I'm a cheap bastard. I have Rogers Basic cable plus Gol TV and FSWC. :D

Gixmo
03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
^^^ My apologies, I misread your reply!

menefreghista
03-19-2010, 08:53 AM
^^^ My apologies, I misread your reply!

No worries.

Bars92
03-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Gol was real easy and cheap to get on Cogeco.

TFC USA
03-19-2010, 10:04 AM
God dammit you guys get GolTV for $2?

That's cheaper than several digital channels on many American cable companies.

Enough is enough. Time to invade you, too. :D

LittleOzzy
03-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Can you buy just one channel on Cogeco?

I didn't think you could...

JonO
03-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Well if they watch TV, then they have about a year and a half left until the will have to go out seeking a digital box...

Jitter
03-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Anybody know whether Gol TV will continue to show some of the non-TFC MLS matches like the Seattle/Philly match next Thursday?

I know I'd be watching...

menefreghista
03-19-2010, 04:03 PM
From what I've read from Paul Beirne's posts, it appears it will be as haphazard and chaotic as last season.

Jitter
03-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Ugh..
Too bad

GBV
03-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Well if they watch TV, then they have about a year and a half left until the will have to go out seeking a digital box...

which has nothing to do with the 2010 toronto fc season . . .

JonO
03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
which has nothing to do with the 2010 toronto fc season . . .
No it doesn't but it's not that far into the future...

Super
03-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Paul, is there a way to maybe show the CL-final on the big screen at BMO? That way a lot of us can still do both.

JonO
03-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Not sure if mlsintoronto, or anyone else, would know the answer to this, but GolTV are proudly splashing the fact that tomorrow's game will be in HD. But they don't have an HD channel. I believe they were working with the TV service distributers (Rogers/Bell/etc) to broadcast the game on an HD channel.

So - the questions is: Does anyone know which channels the game will be broadcast on in HD?

mastermixer
03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
If you are on Rogers I know it will be on channel 501.

JonO
03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Haha - GolTV just updated their website... Rogers 501 and Cogeco 734. Nothing listed for Bell yet.

Glory_Hunter
03-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I got an email from GolTV:

GOLTV Canada HD Toronto FC Broadcast:
Rogers 501
Cogeco 734
**Shaw Cable 318 (for most viewers)/299 (for others)
**Shaw Direct 267

**Shaw Cable & Shaw Direct will not be carrying the first 2 games (March 27th & April 10th) in HD.
Note that not all TV service providers who offer the SD version of the channel have opted to offer the HD game broadcasts.

Goalie20
03-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Figures. I just added GolTV. Channel 501 is free on my Rogers package.

Pigfynn
03-27-2010, 07:50 AM
No Bell Hd Channel For The Game ????

Nuvinho
03-27-2010, 08:37 AM
No Bell Hd Channel For The Game ????

Bell REFUSES to have GolTV in HD, I just called. But we need everyone who has Bell to call and complain.

Pigfynn
03-27-2010, 08:46 AM
^Well they had the TFC vs Real Madrid game in HD

pras
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Bell REFUSES to have GolTV in HD, I just called. But we need everyone who has Bell to call and complain.

Looks like they're adding GOLTVHD to their lineup. It's slotted at channel #1404, but just not active yet.