PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Mar.18

denime
03-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Mornin'

Ten Man Reds Lose To D.C. (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100317&content_id=8824914&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

TFC falls at Carolina Challenge (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/03/17/tfc_united_carolina/)

Toronto FC continue to flounder in preseason (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/james-on-soccer/toronto-fc-continue-to-flounder-in-preseason/article1504072/)

Grill Room: TFC 2010 season preview (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/03/17/13267241.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

sidvan
03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Mornin'. Other than the team fighting each other nothing to get excited about.

scooter
03-18-2010, 06:59 AM
mornin d

Eastend
03-18-2010, 07:11 AM
I watched the first half and I thought our defensive play showed promise yesterday...keeping possesion was another story. After Sanyang went out we did play the chasing game though.

As for the alleged dust up, I can see tensions rising....new coach, new strategy, maybe some things not working or going as each side would like....plus a looming strike that would ruin this league.....

Section 117
03-18-2010, 07:51 AM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/ex-newcastle-defender-bernard-training-toronto-fc-708741

Found a story stating ex Newcastle defender Olivier Bernard is training with TFC on trial

Shaughno
03-18-2010, 07:53 AM
^^ Weird, I thought that was a rumor last year??

I_AM_CANADIAN
03-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Something is rotten in the state of South Carolina.

Shaughno
03-18-2010, 08:09 AM
I heard Saric was out with a knock, hence not being on the bench but might be fit for Saturday... who knows though.

jabbronies
03-18-2010, 08:44 AM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/ex-newcastle-defender-bernard-training-toronto-fc-708741

Found a story stating ex Newcastle defender Olivier Bernard is training with TFC on trial

This is on his wiki:
He trained with Toronto FC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_FC) to keep his fitness up in June 2008, mainly because he is friends with former Toronto midfielder Laurent Robert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurent_Robert).[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Bernard#cite_note-5)

CretanBull
03-18-2010, 09:44 AM
MLS Profits in Light of Ownerships’ Claims

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/mls-profits-in-light-of-ownerships-claims-portlands-filing/8424

Roogsy
03-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Interesting:

Regardless, things look much better for MLS clubs if you consider these fees. With them and the SUM number, the potentially profitable clubs expands to include Colorado and Kansas City – 11 of the 15 clubs that played last season.
This is also within the context of an economic downturn, the premise of Dave’s column. If you buy into that premise, the 2009 numbers could be considered near the bottom of the range of outcomes for an otherwise growing league.

Like I said...the owners are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel...so should the players.

At the end of the day, each side is going to twist the numbers in their favour. So I would refrain from being completely sympathetic to one side over the other.

Whoop
03-18-2010, 10:25 AM
I just want to hear what the players demands are.

In the PR game you figured if they announced what their demands were they would get more public support. As it is all you're hearing is from the owners and of course they're going to say "we're losing money!"

I figure the player demands are reasonable... yet why not get public opinion on your side?

Whoop
03-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Peter Wilt's proposal...

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/03/17/peter-wilts-proposed-solution-to-mls-labor-strife/

zamperina
03-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Here is the CBC Broadcast Schedule for TFC...

2010 MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER ON CBC BROADCAST SCHEDULE

(Schedule subject to change)

All games available live and on-demand on CBCSports.ca

CBC TELEVISION (All events are live)
Sun. Apr. 25 2 p.m. ET Seattle Sounders FC @ Toronto FC

Sat. May 8 3:30 p.m. ET Chicago Fire @ Toronto FC

Sat. May 22 3:30 p.m. ET New England Revolution @ Toronto FC

Sat. June 5 3:30 p.m. ET Kansas City Wizards @ Toronto FC

Sat. July 10 12 p.m. ET Popsicle Soccer Day in Canada:
Colorado Rapids @ Toronto FC

Sat. July 17 3:30 p.m. ET Toronto FC @ Philadelphia Union

Sat. July 24 4 p.m. ET FC Dallas @ Toronto FC

Sat. Aug. 7 3:30 p.m. ET Chivas USA @ Toronto FC

Sat. Aug. 21 1 p.m. ET New York Red Bulls @ Toronto FC

Sat. Sept. 11 3:30 p.m. ET DC United @ Toronto FC

Sat. Sept. 25 3:30 p.m. ET San Jose Earthquakes @ Toronto FC

Sat. Oct. 2 3:30 p.m. ET Toronto FC @ Seattle Sounders

Sat. Oct. 16 3:30 p.m. ET Columbus Crew @ Toronto FC

bold (All events are live)
Sun. Apr. 25 2 p.m. ET Seattle Sounders FC @ Toronto FC

olegunnar
03-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Interesting:

Like I said...the owners are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel...so should the players.

At the end of the day, each side is going to twist the numbers in their favour. So I would refrain from being completely sympathetic to one side over the other.

I don't think SUM and expansion fees are relevant to the profitability discussion as it relates to the CBA.

First off, one time payments, like expansion fees, are just that...a one time payment. So you can cook the books...team losing money...gets a windfall...then suddenly it's making money...what then about the next year when that windfall isn't there? Are the owners going to have to start relying on expansion fees to make money?

Also with SUM, that has nothing to do with the day to day operations of the team, it's an unrelated business entity. Just because MLS is making money by promoting and producing Gold Cup games and World Cup qualifiers etc., doesn't mean you can translate that money to the operations side (mls league) of things. The players are on the day to day side of things, not the side investments. If Honda wins an F1 title, I don't think the sales staff at your local dealership is going to be expecting a pay raise. Or if Canoe restaurant has a banner year I don't think the peeps at Auberge de Pommier will expect a pay raise. Same company, different businesses.

Boondaddy
03-18-2010, 10:34 AM
LOL Popsicle Soccer Day in Canada....still a childs game in this country!

Roogsy
03-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't think SUM and expansion fees are relevant to the profitability discussion as it relates to the CBA.

First off, one time payments, like expansion fees, are just that...a one time payment. So you can cook the books...team losing money...gets a windfall...then suddenly it's making money...what then about the next year when that windfall isn't there? Are the owners going to have to start relying on expansion fees to make money?

I disagree. These one-time payments are not windfalls that should be ignored since they are a product of the league's expansion and are a result of the product put on the pitch, meaning the players. Owners are crying poor but are getting 2mill here and 2mill there and it shouldn't be considered in negotiations with the players? On what basis, that the money only comes one time? even that isn't true...since the money comes in each time a new team is created. Meaning it's happened several times, not to mention the increased value of each team already in the league as a result of the higher franchise fee. For example, if MLSE were to sell TFC, despite having only had to pay a $10mill franchise fee, they'd now get a minimum of $40mill. That's profit. That should be considered in contract negotiations.

Also with SUM, that has nothing to do with the day to day operations of the team, it's an unrelated business entity. Just because MLS is making money by promoting and producing Gold Cup games and World Cup qualifiers etc., doesn't mean you can translate that money to the operations side (mls league) of things. The players are on the day to day side of things, not the side investments. If Honda wins an F1 title, I don't think the sales staff at your local dealership is going to be expecting a pay raise. Or if Canoe restaurant has a banner year I don't think the peeps at Auberge de Pommier will expect a pay raise. Same company, different businesses.

It's a separate (I completely disagree with calling it an "unrelated business entity") because that is how the owners have structured it for tax reasons. Period. Are they marketing a different sport? Different athletes? A completely different business line? Is someone other than the franchise owners getting that money? No. Therefore it is related and should be considered in contract negotiations.

Whoop
03-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong...

But couldn't you argue that a team's profitability could be measured by the worth of the franchise - how much the team would sell for?

I know that's a very simplistic view of the situation.

Whoop
03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
How many more times will MLS expand and get expansion fees? At some point, expansion fee money - despite the owners' best wishes a la NHL - will dry up.

Stouffville_RPB
03-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm looking at the release of the television schedule as a bright spot. Hopefully this means that things are moving along.

I don't care what either side wants as long as I get what I want. A season where the only stoppage is because of a little tournament in Africa.

CretanBull
03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
SUM is kind of complicated because they do things that fall outside of the MLS as well - like putting on friendlies for the Mexican National Team in America.

olegunnar
03-18-2010, 10:43 AM
It's a separate (I completely disagree with calling it an "unrelated business entity") because that is how the owners have structured it for tax reasons. Period. Are they marketing a different sport? Different athletes? A completely different business line? Is someone other than the franchise owners getting that money? No. Therefore it is related and should be considered in contract negotiations.

If you and your dept have a good year...would that mean that branch tellers could argue for a raise/cut of the revenue you brought in?

To me I think that the players can argue for a cut of the moneys they bring in. To me that's the day to day OPs and merch sales. It's not relevant or right in my opinion for them to try and get a cut of the money the league brings in due to it's own business savy.

In my opinion. The only reason there is a MLS today is because of that business savy. I sincerely doubt that the soccer league side has made any annual profits ever. By that I mean the league as a whole. From Tampa Bay Mutiny to columbus crew to Toronto FC over that past 15 years.

Roogsy
03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
How many more times will MLS expand and get expansion fees? At some point, expansion fee money - despite the owners' best wishes a la NHL - will dry up.

Absolutely. That's not the argument. The argument here is that it shouldn't count.

Why not?

The owners here are crying poor. That they have endured losses over the years. But then we aren't supposed to apply incoming fees from new franchises as a way to offset those losses? Why not?

Like I mentioned a company like MLSE paid 10mill for a franchise which is now worth well over 40mill. How is it going to cry poor?

Even a franchise like Dallas that doesn't make money and likely loses money. If they have sustained (I don't know figures, I am just making stuff up) 20mill in losses over the years but get 6mill back in franchise fees, not to mention the increased value of the franchise goes from whatever they paid initially (lets say 5mill) to the now quoted 40mill franchise fee...as an operation they are actually IN THE BLACK as opposed to having taken losses.

The only way you will convince me that the owners truly are in the poor house is if someone can show me that despite the higher franchise value, the franchise fee money coming in and the SUM money, owners are still taking losses in the tens of millions.

You ask players why they don't state their case to get the public on their side...why don't the owners come out with accurate numbers for all operations and show us the kind of losses they are supposedly taking and REALLY prove their case of being "poor"?

Roogsy
03-18-2010, 10:49 AM
If you and your dept have a good year...would that mean that branch tellers could argue for a raise/cut of the revenue you brought in?

To me I think that the players can argue for a cut of the moneys they bring in. To me that's the day to day OPs and merch sales. It's not relevant or right in my opinion for them to try and get a cut of the money the league brings in due to it's own business savy.

In my opinion. The only reason there is a MLS is because of that business savy. I sincerely doubt that the soccer league side has made any annual profits ever. By that I mean the league as a whole. From Tampa Bay Mutiny to columbus crew to Toronto FC over that past 15 years.

There is no way that can ever fly beacuse all owners would have to do is divvy up the operations into divisions where they say "this doesn't apply" to the total revenue generated. You claim day to day ops and merch sales only would apply. Why should it be only what you determine to be applicable revenue? Why not more? Why not less? Does SUM not use MLS players in their marketing? Does this happen outside of what players do? Unless you can prove that SUM does not use players in their operations and that SUM is completely unrelated to the goals and operations of MLS, there is no way you can make a case that SUM money does not apply in these negotiations. If just one single MLS player works on behalf or makes any sort of appearance on SUM promotional material, your case is tanked. If the money is distributed exclusively to MLS franchise owners and not a much wider unrelated group or on the flip-sdie only a small exclusive group within the MLS franchise owners that operate separately than the other owners, then your case is tanked.

SUM applies. It applies in all other sports leagues. It applies here. The NHL tried this tactic and it didn't work, people saw right through it.

Whoop
03-18-2010, 10:50 AM
You ask players why they don't state their case to get the public on their side...why don't the owners come out with accurate numbers for all operations and show us the kind of losses they are supposedly taking and REALLY prove their case of being "poor"?

LOL I'm not on any side.

In the PR game, the owner's are smart not to do that. Not many people ask and technically they don't have to open their books.

And in any sports related labour dispute, the majority of the public sides with the owners. You would figure these athletes would be smart enough to flip it around.

And to add... I wonder how much relocation would be worth? i.e. You could argue that the Dallas franchise has an XXX value... if you were able to move to, say Montreal.

Phil
03-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Well some great comments about the realities from more owners in the MLS here:

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/03/18/the-sweeper-mls-the-replacements/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PitchInvasion+%28Pitch+Invasi on%29

replacement players being speculated now.

olegunnar
03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
And to add... I wonder how much relocation would be worth? i.e. You could argue that the Dallas franchise has an XXX value... if you were able to move to, say Montreal.

Dallas is a great example of the point I'm trying to make. They won't move.

They make money. Pizza Hut Park is a great revenue generator. Concerts, High School sports, Office space leased out to tennants, 17 year round fields for camps, associations, coportate events. etc. etc. The stadium hosts 640,000 people a year. The fields outside host 750,000 people a year.

http://www.pizzahutpark.com/Home/AboutPizzaHutPark/Sponsorships/tabid/75/Default.aspx

If you were to just look at P&Ls for FC Dallas though...they'd be tanking. 10,000 paid spectators a game won't pay all the bills.

Roogsy
03-18-2010, 11:11 AM

In accounting, the value of an asset is usually (not always) quoted by the last known trade value in a similar transaction. The trade value of a franchise is the franchise fee. Therefore, the value of a franchise in MLS is now 40mill. They themselves have set that value when demanding it from new owners wanting to enter the league and so long as there is someone willing to pay it and does pay it, that is the value. The league will not allow someone to come in and purchase Dallas for 15mill because that undermines their franchise fee demands. Therefore, even the crappiest of teams in the MLS are now worth 40mill at least. Teams like New York are therefore valued much, much higher because of the assets like Red Bull Arena.

Whoop
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
That's what I figured.

So in essence, from $10 million to $40 million in the course of the last 3-4 years, that's a big jump.

But couldn't you argue that the reason why people bought in, or want to buy in, is because of the current economic MLS model? If that were to change, couldn't it affect franchise values? Or are the proposed changes negligible?

Roogsy
03-18-2010, 11:26 AM
I would say negligible.

After all, the free agency issue isn't going to raise the salary cap. It seems there is already a figure that is still under 3mill per team that will be used for next year.

This issue is solely about the league maintaining it's single-entity status which it itself knows is in peril already let alone if the players manage to squeeze free agency from them. Which is why I am pretty convinced the league will never budge on this and I hope the players know it. Which is why this is a perfect opportunity to squeeze everything else out of the league except for free agency.

That's how I would play this. If the players go to war over free agency, they will lose.

Mark in Ottawa
03-18-2010, 11:29 AM
They can't be seriously considering this? :facepalm:

JonO
03-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Which is why this is a perfect opportunity to squeeze everything else out of the league except for free agency.

That's how I would play this. If the players go to war over free agency, they will lose.
I agree - this is a perfect opportunity for the union to do a lot of saber rattling to squeeze as much out of the owners as possible and (hopefully) avoid a strike...

Whoop
03-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Well, given Rooney's post of the link, the owners might have some plans in place in case there is war.

And I agree, I figure the changes would negligible to the owner's bottom line.

Has there been any mention of teams being able to buy out guaranteed contracts?

Oldtimer
03-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Finally, to add to our depression:

Nothing but good news for Montreal Impact

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jasondevos/2010/03/nothing-but-good-news-for-montreal-impact.html

Seriously, now, it is good news for soccer in Canada.

Dunkers
03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
In accounting, the value of an asset is usually (not always) quoted by the last known trade value in a similar transaction. The trade value of a franchise is the franchise fee. Therefore, the value of a franchise in MLS is now 40mill. They themselves have set that value when demanding it from new owners wanting to enter the league and so long as there is someone willing to pay it and does pay it, that is the value. The league will not allow someone to come in and purchase Dallas for 15mill because that undermines their franchise fee demands. Therefore, even the crappiest of teams in the MLS are now worth 40mill at least. Teams like New York are therefore valued much, much higher because of the assets like Red Bull Arena.

In calucualting the value of a company/stock, expected future income generated by that asset is the measuring stick for determining price. Exisiting teams are NOT valued at 40 mil. Exisitng teams value is erroded by numerous circumstance. 1 major factor is teams are less likely to make money without a SS Stadium, so teams that are already in the leauge and cannot secure a deal for a SSS (DC United/NER), are less likely to make money and therefore are not valued at 40 mil. You would be better off to pay 40 mil and start a franchise in a city where you could build a SSS then pay 40 mil and take DCU or NER where you cannot (or will have difficulty) building a SSS.

Chevy
03-18-2010, 12:03 PM

I think he trained with us some time ago - he is a friend of Laurent Robert.

Roogsy
I should have qualified that statement by indicating the franchise value for entering the league. Of course the overal net value of the company takes more into account than just the franchise fee.

Phil
I think he trained with us some time ago - he is a friend of Laurent Robert.

June of 2008 I think...

Boondaddy
03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
sportsnetsoccer (http://twitter.com/sportsnetsoccer)

Contrary to reports, no bust up between TFC coaches and players after last night's game. Nothing happened. Source is solid.

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 12:51 PM
sportsnetsoccer (http://twitter.com/sportsnetsoccer)

Contrary to reports, no bust up between TFC coaches and players after last night's game. Nothing happened. Source is solid.

LOL. I love how its 'contrary to reports' as if it was in a paper or on TV.

It was a blog column comment and forum chatter.

Just goes to show you where the media goes to find out about the team...

Boondaddy
03-18-2010, 01:06 PM
LOL. I love how its 'contrary to reports' as if it was in a paper or on TV.

It was a blog column comment and forum chatter.

Just goes to show you where the media goes to find out about the team...

guaranteed this tweet was precipitated by this mornings now closed thread on the subject...

rocker
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
funny tho, cuz the media had to come *here* to find that since it wasn't true in the first place. it's not like they got scooped by the board.

Boondaddy
03-18-2010, 01:21 PM
JohnMolinaro (http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro)

Ali Gerba tells Radio Canada (French version of CBC) he's working with lawyer to negotiate his release from his contract. Story to follow...

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH THIS TEAM!!!!

Section 117
03-18-2010, 01:23 PM
I wonder if Gerba will give back the money he was paid cause he basically stole it from TFC

Red Patch CA
03-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Please...no accounting discussions! I come on here to get away from what I do all day.

Pigfynn
03-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Ali Gerba tells Radio Canada (French version of CBC) he's working with lawyer to negotiate his release from his contract. Story to follow...

LOL! OMG

I'm sooo tired of this garbage.

:picard:

Pigfynn
03-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Steven Goff lays out what's happening...not much

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

Phil
03-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Robbo happy to be in NY

http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100318&content_id=8828930&vkey=news_rbn&fext=.jsp&team=t107

Pigfynn
03-18-2010, 02:01 PM
ofcourse he is!!!!

I'm sure half our guys would be

Boondaddy
03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
what ever happened to professionalism??? What a fuckin joke this club is right now.

koryo
03-18-2010, 02:19 PM
We are, without question, the laughing stock of the league.

This is Johnston's doing.

canadian_bhoy
03-18-2010, 02:22 PM
ofcourse he is!!!!

I'm sure half our guys would be

Half our guys are!

Robbo
Sutton
Boyens
Goldy

Next thing you know, they'll sign Andy Welsh and Lombardo!

Oldtimer
03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
what ever happened to professionalism??? What a fuckin joke this club is right now.

It disappeared the day they inked the guy who once said he would only play for one club, then inked a deal with their hated arch-rival. His "me first" attitude means bad news for everyone else.

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Well some great comments about the realities from more owners in the MLS here:

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/03/18/the-sweeper-mls-the-replacements/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PitchInvasion+%28Pitch+Invasi on%29

Excellent article. Given the owners reluctance to budge on the issue of free agency, there is a realistic chance that the season will start with scabs. If the players union is intent on breaking the single entity structure of MLS, I foresee a strike that will last for 2-3 months before the union capitulates. The owners have the resources to wait for the players to start crossing picket lines. In the interim, the negative impact from a financial perspective will be negligible from the owners standpoint.

I just hope that TFC can field a competitive scab roster so that by the time the real players return we will be near the top of the league, LOL!

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Excellent article. Given the owners reluctance to budge on the issue of free agency, there is a realistic chance that the season will start with scabs.

I hope MLS and TFC are prepared to give me my money back if they use scabs.

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I hope MLS and TFC are prepared to give me my money back if they use scabs.

I believe MLS clubs would likely refund the cost of tickets to fans that didn't attend the matches with scab players.

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2010, 02:33 PM
If the strike comes to pass, I will not boycott TFC because of it. I will use my seasons tickets in 119 and give it a shot. If the drop off in quality is too much to bare than I will reconsider...

Shaughno
03-18-2010, 02:34 PM
I believe MLS clubs would likely refund the cost of tickets to fans that didn't attend the matches with scab players.

Really? I bet you they would still host the match, and them claim "well it was out of our control and the match(es) still took place, so we can't help out in that aspect"

Or some other randomly generated line from the TFC FO media machine.

Whoop
03-18-2010, 02:34 PM
If they used scabs, I doubt they would give you your money back.

Redcoe15
03-18-2010, 02:36 PM

Another day in TFC land. :facepalm:

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2010, 02:45 PM
The interesting thing is, most MLS fans are casual fans and wouldn't know the difference if the names on the jerseys were different of if there was a slight drop off in the level of play. I think the owners are well aware of this and are prepared to use it to their advantage if push comes to shove...

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Where are they going to get the scabs from?

The players in USL1 and 2 are under contract and can't just up and leave.

We're going to end up with players from the CSL level.

Plus its not like they can put a team together overnight. It will probably take them about a month to put the teams together.

Mo Johnston already sucks at obtaining players. How would he handle this?

mastermixer
03-18-2010, 02:51 PM
I really can't remember this much drama and uncertainty with any pro sports team that I've followed and I follow a lot of sports. Can you imagine if the Leafs got rid of players with no explanation, fights after the whistle, players taking legal action to get out of contracts. Unreal is all I can say.

Stouffville_RPB
03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Mo Johnston signed me as a scab player already. As soon as I left my house though I got a call and Mo said that I was already traded to New York.

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Mo Johnston signed me as a scab player already. As soon as I left my house though I got a call and Mo said that I was already traded to New York.

But TFC will continue to pay 2/3rds your scab salary!

They just wanted to get rid of you that badly.

Shaughno
03-18-2010, 02:56 PM
But TFC will continue to pay 2/3rds your scab salary!

They just wanted to get rid of you that badly.

Word on the street is that they were clearing Cap Space to make room for the one and only Shaughno! :drum::flare::scarf:

Whoop
03-18-2010, 02:58 PM
We'll know something is up when TFC signs guys with the names like Cricket and Gino. LOL

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Where are they going to get the scabs from?

The players in USL1 and 2 are under contract and can't just up and leave.

We're going to end up with players from the CSL level.

Plus its not like they can put a team together overnight. It will probably take them about a month to put the teams together.

Mo Johnston already sucks at obtaining players. How would he handle this?

LOL!

menefreghista
03-18-2010, 03:03 PM
We'd probably just end up using TFC Academy from the CSL.

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
I played as a goalkeeper in the Richmond Hill Soccer League for a few years. If TFC needs me, I'm in! As long as you guys don't throw shit at me...

Shaughno
03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
We'll know something is up when TFC signs guys with the names like Cricket and Gino. LOL

:rofl: Oh fuck.... I'm dying!

boban
03-18-2010, 03:12 PM

Come on now, you can;t be surprised at this and expect the guy to sit aty home and do nothing.
This is the next move in the game.
Shits got to be cleared up at some point.

flambe
03-18-2010, 03:18 PM
If they go ahead and field a team of scabs, they better bloody give me my money back.

Do we really think they wouldn't?

Beach_Red
03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I really can't remember this much drama and uncertainty with any pro sports team that I've followed and I follow a lot of sports. Can you imagine if the Leafs got rid of players with no explanation, fights after the whistle, players taking legal action to get out of contracts. Unreal is all I can say.

Come on, really? You're going to use the Leafs as an example? Don't you wish the Leafs had broken up the "Muskoka Five" before they'd run the team into the ground?

And you don't remember any drama with the Raptors?

Yes, TFC is a mess, but it shouldn't surprise anyone in Toronto.

Boondaddy
03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Come on now, you can;t be surprised at this and expect the guy to sit aty home and do nothing.
This is the next move in the game.
Shits got to be cleared up at some point.

it's not that....it's the lack of professionalism that's doing my head in. The he said/she said bullshit....and again, the handling of the situation by Mo.

This is supposed to be a MAJOR LEAGUE club....not some local garage band comprised of 15 year olds who just kicked out the bass player for fucking up a song.

mastermixer
03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Come on, really? You're going to use the Leafs as an example? Don't you wish the Leafs had broken up the "Muskoka Five" before they'd run the team into the ground?

And you don't remember any drama with the Raptors?

Yes, TFC is a mess, but it shouldn't surprise anyone in Toronto.

I know... your right. I guess I don't remember so much drama and uncertainty all at once.

Roogsy
03-18-2010, 04:11 PM
This is supposed to be a MAJOR LEAGUE club....not some local garage band comprised of 15 year olds who just kicked out the bass player for fucking up a song.

LOL! This reminds me of a rock band started up by kids in my high school. Their band name?

Shit stains and cocaine. It was a mixed band of white and black dudes.

Because their band name was not PC, they changed it to Skidmark and Snowflake. :lol: I will forever remember those names.

Shaughno
03-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Speaking of shit stains... Roogs, go check the north stand thread. :rofl:

Boondaddy
03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
LOL! This reminds me of a rock band started up by kids in my high school. Their band name?

Shit stains and cocaine. It was a mixed band of white and black dudes.

Because their band name was not PC, they changed it to Skidmark and Snowflake. :lol: I will forever remember those names.

LOVE the original band name! Quality! Better trademark that puppy right away.

boban
03-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Exactly why were they called the Muskoka Five?
Just looking for a quick answer, don't mean to side rail the thread.

boban
03-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Can you imagine if the Leafs got rid of players with no explanation, fights after the whistle, players taking legal action to get out of contracts. Unreal is all I can say.
I guess you don't remember the Leafs of Pat Quinn era.
Trust me, TFC is taking on the same characteristics as the other MLSE sports holdings. At least there is consistency there.

Redpunkfiddle
03-18-2010, 05:28 PM
So when there is a strike Gerba, Lombardo and Welsh are brought back as replacements.

Pigfynn
03-18-2010, 08:42 PM
sorry I posted this yesterday's news by mistake:

Glimmer of hope? from Steven Goff's twitter:

MLS labor meetings still going on. Dinner break and then back to work. Good sign? #mls (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23mls) 8 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/10695656566)via web

That's been a long day eh? doubt they still be at it if there was stone walling going on