PDA

View Full Version : If you're curious to who the other MLS teams added to their squad so far...

Yohan
03-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Chicago
-Collins John: Former Fulham and Holland international striker. Age 24
-Kryzstof Krol: Former Real Madrid youth squad left back. Age 23. on loan

Chivas USA
-Michael Umana: Costa Rican international defender. age 27
-Osael Romero: on loan El Salvador international midfielder. age 23

Colorado
-Ian Joyce: former Southend United GK, age 24

Columbus
-Sergio Herrera: Former Deportivo Cali and Columbian international striker. Age 28

Kansas City
-Jimmy Nielsen: Former Aalborg GK. Age 32
-Pablo Escobar: Former Deportivo Cali and Boca Juniors youth squad defender. Age 22
-Stephane Aubray: Former Vannes and Nimes Olympique midfielder. Age 28
-Craig Rocastle: former Chelsea reserves, Sheffield Wednesday midfielder, age 28

Los Angeles
-Alex: Sao Paolo left back on loan. Age 21
-Leonardo: Sao Paolo defender on loan. Age 22
-Juninho: Sao Paolo midfielder on loan. Age 21

New York
-Joel Linpere: former Tromso midfielder and Estonian international Age 28
-Roy Miller: former Rosenborg defender and Costa Rican international. Age 25

Philadephia
-Roger Torres: 18 yr old America de Cali midfielder on loan

Real Salt Lake
-Alvaro Saborio: former Saprissa, FC Sion and Costa Rican international striker. Age 27

San Jose
-Eduardo: former Toulouse and Base striker/midfielder. Age 30

Seattle
-Blaise Nkufo: former Twente and Swiss international striker. Age 34
So, despite lack of CBA and possible striker, some GMs have gone out and got some players...

Yohan
03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Columbia might be the gold mine as this Herrera dude has some decent strike rate and Pablo Escobar kid might be the next Hurtado

Oh, I think the most significant thing about these signings are that most of them are not washed up, old geezers looking for final cheque. Most are young or in their prime looking for something to prove I think.

Red Rat
03-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Colombia
Colombian.....

werewolf
03-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Barry MacLean really needs to get scouting!

Red Rat
03-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Chicago
-Kryzstof Krol: Former Real Madrid youth squad left back. Age 23

Columbuus
-Sergio Herrera: Former Deportivo Cali and Columbian international striker. Age 28

Kansas City
-Pablo Escobar: Former Deportivo Cali and Boca Juniors youth squad defender. Age 22

Los Angeles

New York

San Jose

Seattle
So, despite lack of CBA and possible striker, some GMs have gone out and got some players...

TFC
a water boy playing midfield
a towel boy playing striker

rr

rocker
03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
What about the 8 other teams?

Yohan
03-16-2010, 08:15 PM
What about the 8 other teams?
i only counted worth noting international signings. there were some transfers with couple of decent players switching teams but eh

this also does not count any trialists

Damien
03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Pablo Escobar is officially my fave non-tfc mls player... we must make sign for him when he plays in Toronto.

Parkdale
03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Pablo Escobar is officially my fave non-tfc mls player... we must make sign for him when he plays in Toronto.

"Please come pick up your hippos"
http://www.facebook.com/profile/pic.php?oid=AAAAAQAQukBklatXs00DaGno_giSugAAAAoBV-iy6U9oNZ2GhYT_F0Zc

Yohan
03-16-2010, 09:47 PM
added Alvaro Saborio and Craig Rocastle, Ian Joyce, Roger Torres, Michael Umana

Yohan
03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
hmmm... wonder if Juan Manuel Pena is still on trial with DC. experienced CB who has played for La Liga teams Valladolid, Villareal and Celta Vigo

wzhxvy
03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Well this is a depressing thread...thanks Yohan ! lol

Yohan
03-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Well this is a depressing thread...thanks Yohan ! lol
sorry for being that guy lol

reggie
03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Barry MacLean really needs to get scouting!
i think barry is living in latvia these days...

rocker
03-16-2010, 11:24 PM
sorry for being that guy lol

it's depressing if they turn out to be Freddy Montero-like.
it's not depressing if they turn out to be more like Franco Niell!

Derko
03-17-2010, 03:50 AM
NEWSFLASH.... Derek Saxton has just put pen to paper for Canadian outfit Toronto F.C.

The former central defender from Alton United although on the verge of turning 50, has impressed the TFC coaching staff on a video conference from his hometown of Alton, Ontario. Look for him to control the front of the BMO beer stands below section 110 in the 2010 season.
As per club rules the details of his contract will not be discussed.

Alarius
03-17-2010, 07:45 AM
KC looks like they are close to signing Indian international striker Sunil Chhetri:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Dempo-release-Chettri-for-Kansas-City-Wizards-stint/articleshow/5691247.cms

Globetrotter
03-17-2010, 08:04 AM
^we've all heard from Russell Peters how Indians play soccer. Very similar to Barrett's shot accuracy (hard to kick in curly pointy shoes), but only 1/1000th of the work rate. :)

bgnewf
03-17-2010, 08:31 AM
In a salary cap league like MLS (or the NHL as well for example) there are only a few avenues to improve your club outside of the actual dollars you spend on the players you sign. Amenities like training facilities and support staff help. So does a rabid fan base. But one of the best ways to do this is through a strong scouting department. And two MLSE properties (the Maple Leafs and Toronto FC) have in my opinion been sorely lacking in the scouting department. There is no salary cap on a scouting staff. There is no reason why there can't be TFC scouts scouring the South American leagues looking for quality young players that we can sign for reasonable wages under the MLS restrictions. Freddy Montero is not on DP wages. LA Galaxy are signing young Brazilians on loan as squad players and depth... and doing it on the cheap I might add!

Due respect to him, but a 37 year old Paul Dickov is going to cost us a chunk of change if and when we sign him. There are hundreds of players plying their trade south of the Panama Canal that would potentially be cheaper to sign and as likely productive as a Dickov that could allow us to fill a lot of holes. Barry Maclean can't be our head scout forever.

Brian Burke to his credit appears to be getting this message. He is rebuilding his scouting staff which has seen the Leafs arguably not draft a sure fire NHL star through the draft since Wendel Clark. If only Anselmi would force this policy onto TFC.

Chevy
03-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Brian Burke to his credit appears to be getting this message. He is rebuilding his scouting staff which has seen the Leafs arguably not draft a sure fire NHL star through the draft since Wendel Clark. If only Anselmi would force this policy onto TFC.

Dude, WTF are you talking about?? How could you forget Scott Pearson, Drake Berehowsky and Brandon Convery?

....oh wait. Never mind. :facepalm:

fetajr
03-17-2010, 08:53 AM
defender of the net and coca
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Escobar

fetajr
03-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Toronto FC
- randomly picks someone from the crowd to play central defender every game

Beach_Red
03-17-2010, 09:18 AM

It's pretty shocking that the richest team in the NHL needed to have its scouting staff "rebuilt" in 2009. I wonder if scouting budget was a negotiating point in Burke's contract?

Any idea what TFC's scouting budget is?

bgnewf
03-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Dudes, I am no fan of Mo... far from it actually...

But the coke innuendo needs to stop on these boards. It's not only slanderous but it is not necessary. It cheapens the discourse and takes away from a lot of the legitimate concerns people are expressing about him.

Criticize him on the merits of how he does his job, and not on rumours about his personal life. His personal life is his business.

MartinUtd
03-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Chicago
-Kryzstof Krol: Former Real Madrid youth squad left back. Age 23

Chivas USA
-Michael Umana: Costa Rican international defender. age 27

Colorado
-Ian Joyce: former Southend United GK, age 24

Columbus

Kansas City
-Craig Rocastle: former Chelsea reserves, Sheffield Wednesday midfielder, age 28

Los Angeles

New York
-Carl Robinson: former Toronto FC midfielder and Welsh international, Age 33.

Philadephia
-Roger Torres: 18 yr old America de Cali midfielder on loan

Real Salt Lake
-Alvaro Saborio: former Saprissa, FC Sion and Costa Rican international striker. Age 27

San Jose

Seattle

Fixed

reggie
03-17-2010, 09:33 AM

But the coke innuendo needs to stop on these boards. It's not only slanderous but it is not necessary. It cheapens the discourse and takes away from a lot of the legitimate concerns people are expressing about him.

Criticize him on the merits of how he does his job, and not on rumours about his personal life. His personal life is his business.
i agree with you..im just fucking around.
i dont know mo and i dont care what he does off the field..
saying that...MO MUST GO...

Roogsy
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM

We've made this issue quite clear on this board. This is not acceptable. I am going back and deleting any references to this joke. Any further jokes of this type will be met with a vacation from the board.

And for pete's sakes people! It's COLOMBIA not COLUMBIA!

spark
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Didn't Chivas sign an El Salvador(ian?!) international?

TFC Tifoso
03-17-2010, 09:36 AM

newf, Its all in jokes, man.....I don't know or care what Mo does, but hey, at least it is an excuse for his poor performance!

Yohan
03-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Didn't Chivas sign an El Salvador(ian?!) international?
yes. Osael Romero

Beach_Red
03-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Sorry to bring this up again, but I really do find it shocking.

I can't imagine Anselmi forcing anything on TFC that would cost money - I can only picture him saying, "no," to spending any extra. Apparently MLSE also let the Maple Leafs scouting dpartment collapse (I'm just guessing that there was a point at which the departmet was the biggest in the league as would befit the richest team).

The worst part of this is that TFC have done a pretty good job of scouting NCAA (maybe not fantastic, but not terrible) and have drafted at least respectably, so there's a posibility that if they were given the resources,TFC could do a decent job scouting.

I hate this ownership.

Yohan
03-17-2010, 09:53 AM
dunno if this kid is still in FC Dallas camp, but another Canadian kid overlooked by Mo? Edson Edward, CB/RB

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20100226&content_id=8186848&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

edit: as of 13 Mar, still in FC Dallas camp

MisterMacphisto
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
http://www.layoutlocator.com/graphics/dldimg/6f5b6852fdc223d5b679ad70bbcb4b3e_monkey-drinking-coke.jpg

rocker
03-17-2010, 10:13 AM
dunno if this kid is still in FC Dallas camp, but another Canadian kid overlooked by Mo? Edson Edward, CB/RB

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20100226&content_id=8186848&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

edit: as of 13 Mar, still in FC Dallas camp

i can't find any info on this guy... other than that article. he went to a university called Graceland.. Is that run by the Elvis estate!?

Yohan
03-17-2010, 10:17 AM
i can't find any info on this guy... other than that article. he went to a university called Graceland.. Is that run by the Elvis estate!?
point is, cheap canadian kid gets overlooked... again. he may be good enough to be another utility defender and still young enough to develop some more. this kid lasted 3-4 weeks in FC Dallas camp so far, surely he's got some quality?

bgnewf
03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
point is, cheap canadian kid gets overlooked... again. he may be good enough to be another utility defender and still young enough to develop some more. this kid lasted 3-4 weeks in FC Dallas camp so far, surely he's got some quality?

Again, I come back to my point about scouting. The Canadian players we have had at our club we have tended to overpay for considering their salaries have been higher than the league median.

With Vancouver and potentially Montreal on the MLS horizon the price of available Canadian talent is likely to increase with the increased demand. Letting "value priced" Canadians that can contribute fall through our clutches is inexcuseable.

Add the poor scouting this club has done up to now to the long list of Mo grievances.

Whoop
03-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Scouting is the backbone of any sporting franchise. :D

Yohan
03-17-2010, 10:34 AM
i'm almost tempted to suggest another open tryout, except for canadian players only. just to see who comes out of the woodwork. probably better than Mo's method of scouting lol

Beach_Red
03-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Again, I come back to my point about scouting. The Canadian players we have had at our club we have tended to overpay for considering their salaries have been higher than the league median.

With Vancouver and potentially Montreal on the MLS horizon the price of available Canadian talent is likely to increase with the increased demand. Letting "value priced" Canadians that can contribute fall through our clutches is inexcuseable.

Add the poor scouting this club has done up to now to the long list of Mo grievances.

It's on the list of grievances, all right. It's also no surprise the Canadian players are overaid - if the league requires a certain number of them on the team it gives a good advantage to their agents.

Let's hope whoever gets the job next gets the Brian Burke deal and not whatever deal let the scouting department fall to the point it needed to be rebuilt.

Will they give that deal to Preki?

ag futbol
03-17-2010, 05:29 PM
It's on the list of grievances, all right. It's also no surprise the Canadian players are overaid - if the league requires a certain number of them on the team it gives a good advantage to their agent.

Let's hope whoever gets the job next gets the Brian Burke deal and not whatever deal let the scouting department fall to the point it needed to be rebuilt.

Will they give that deal to Preki?
Fixed your post, you're assuming we use more than one agent. Barry's bargain basement has all your needs covered.

But quite seriously we've been criminally stupid about rounding out our roster. Let's face it, while nobody will ever claim guys like Tyler Roselund and Hemming were world beaters, they could do a subs job if we needed them on the field. They perfectly fit the prototype of guys in the last spots on the team.

Problem is, Mo Johnston routinely likes to cut those guys (not because they can't play) but to clear cap space for his latest overpaid bust. You can understand why the union has such a grievance against this type of thing.

Yohan
03-22-2010, 05:13 PM
From the young to the old, United also seems set to sign 37-year-old central defender Juan Manuel Peņa. The Bolivian, who played 14 years in Spain for Valladolid, Villarreal and Celta Vigo, impressed the coaching staff at training camp. Coach Curt Onalfo declined to discuss negotiations but said that Peņa "is very technical and has provided leadership" on a backline that will probably include Rodney Wallace, 21, Dejan Jakovic, 24, and Devon McTavish, 25, in the lineup.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/03/dc_united_news_notes_22.html#more

MFG1
03-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Toronto FC
- randomly picks someone from the crowd to play central defender every game

we should change their name to Timbits FC, everyone gets to play and you get to play at every position. Then we go to Mcdonalds if you score.

MFG1
03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
do you not think MLSE would have had to do their "due diligence" when purchasing a franchise that would have had to have "x" number of canadians on it? That being said MOjumbo Johnston should have known his expectations before he took the job. I dont buy the excuse whatsoever that his lineup was difficult to fill when you have a number of canadians. My biggest beef with him is that he sits on his ass during the offseason, and doesnt start looking for players till late april or may when the euro season is over, and ours is 5 games into it.

jloome
03-22-2010, 08:34 PM
i'm almost tempted to suggest another open tryout, except for canadian players only. just to see who comes out of the woodwork. probably better than Mo's method of scouting lol

It's funny. I was just using some databases online and cross-referencing them with notes on players I've taken over the years, and there are actually a few players out there available who could help us.

TFCtoMUFC
03-22-2010, 08:37 PM
we should change their name to Timbits FC, everyone gets to play and you get to play at every position. Then we go to Mcdonalds if you score.

There better be some damn Baskin and Robbins 31 Flavours happenin if I score.

jazzy
03-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Question what do we do, when the new Canadian teams join MLS......How can we fairly compete with US teams when we will be under constricting rules to employ a certain # of Canadians?

Technorgasm
03-23-2010, 03:30 PM
I might have to get a Union Jersey, just so I can have an MLS jersey with TORRES on it hahaha

Yohan
03-23-2010, 03:33 PM
CB Jeff Parke on trial with Sounders after coming back from European trials.

Probably going to sign with Seattle, and replace Marshall sooner or later (i'm going to guess sooner)

Yohan
03-24-2010, 12:24 AM
New England to sign former FC Basel and Serbian U21 attacking midfielder Marko Perovic

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/blog/2010/03/revolution_pero.html

Yohan
03-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Kansas City signs Indian international striker Suni Chhetri

http://goal.com/en-india/news/222/transfer-zone/2010/03/24/1846749/official-sunil-chhetri-to-join-kansas-city-wizards

Super
03-24-2010, 01:32 AM
Question what do we do, when the new Canadian teams join MLS......How can we fairly compete with US teams when we will be under constricting rules to employ a certain # of Canadians?

No doubt there would be a change in the rules at that time. The league will simply lower the amount of Canadians we need to employ on our team, period. Or at least, I'm hoping that's the case.

Yohan
03-24-2010, 04:12 AM
NYRB signs striker Ibrahim Salou

http://worldsoccerreader.com/2010/03/new-york-red-bulls-sign-ibrahim-salou/

6'4", 205lb... he's a big boy. decent resume. looked good against Santos

samhaydenjr
03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
A rumour on an Irish forum has striker Terry Dixon going on loan from West Ham to Colorado. He was a 16-year-old wonderkid at Spurs, who was drafted into the Irish squad before a serious knee injury seemed to have ruined his career and he was let go by Spurs. However, he worked to get fit and was signed by the Hammers last year. He has already played for the reserves a number of times and scored a few goals already but apparently needs match practice, which is the rationale behind the rumour. If it's not happening, it may be worth TFC's while making enquiries.