PDA

View Full Version : When you feel depressed...

Oldtimer
03-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Here's an email that I received before the start of season 1 from a hockey fan (names have been removed):

XXXX and I were at the one of kind craft show in T.O. and noticed that
they've put up a new soccer stadium on the exhibition grounds. It'll be
interesting to see if the support lasts. Traditionally in our area it does
not. This is the fourth attempt that I recall since my teen years. Who
knows, I guess time will tell but someone had a lot of free cash to blow
that's for sure. It's kind of funny how it takes the road crews 6 months to
fill the potholes from winter yet they can put up an entire stadium in 3
months. Go figure.
I know it's old, but I am still thankful there is a team to care about (even if I'm not crazy about how it's being run on the field).

tfc2007
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Amen!

MartinUtd
03-16-2010, 12:46 PM
haha.. too true.

Thanks for the positive spin because honestly, I've been burying my head in the sand this off season.

Yohan
03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
when i get depressed about TFC, i just rewatch the 6-1 smacking of Montreal

bgnewf
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I think to the first home game against KC in season one. I am sitting up in the nosebleeds of section 223 and in the 80th minute I hear the entire west side start singing....

"...ALL WE ARE SAYING...... IS GIVE US A GOAL....."

At that time I knew that this TFC thing was real. Damn that was a great memory.

Technorgasm
03-16-2010, 12:53 PM
WAs reminising with the lads yesterday at the pub about when I used to get VHS tapes of games from Englang, a week late just to watch footy. .. .

and feel blessed we have a team to support at all.

thefre seems to be less excitement this year what with the strike concerns and all but. .

If I can celebrate a goal at BMO at 75% of the home games it will be an ok season. . .but

DAMN IT, I want to see that cup at BMO !!!

Technorgasm
03-16-2010, 01:05 PM
when i get depressed about TFC, i just rewatch the 6-1 smacking of Montreal
http://mls.theoffside.com/major-league-soccer/montreal-1-6-toronto-fc-highlights.html

is there a YouTube version of this?

Frick
03-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I think to the first home game against KC in season one. I am sitting up in the nosebleeds of section 223 and in the 80th minute I hear the entire west side start singing....

"...ALL WE ARE SAYING...... IS GIVE US A GOAL....."

At that time I knew that this TFC thing was real. Damn that was a great memory.

I was sitting in 127. The Holiday Toque deal. Anyway, the English guys behind me and my dad were going on and on about how crappy the game was and that it wouldn't last. A huge point for them was that we had a guy from Preston North End. They kept laughing at that one. I was impressed with the guy they were mocking and do recall mlsintoronto saying he was going to get a #9 on his jersey the Monday after the game.

Yohan
03-16-2010, 01:13 PM
http://mls.theoffside.com/major-league-soccer/montreal-1-6-toronto-fc-highlights.html

is there a YouTube version of this?
i feel better watching that again :)

Whoop
03-16-2010, 01:23 PM
The lustre of the 6-1 win over Montreal has already worn out.

"I remember 1967..."

If all you do is celebrate past victories, soon that's all you'll have.

I was there, it was fun, it was great. But that's old news now...

trane
03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
THere are enought threads already of self congratulations over achiving nothing in 3 years. This thread shuold be closed.

We have enought, at least we have a clud bullshit. IF this continues, we will not have a club.

flatpicker
03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I hope the person that sent you that email bought a painting from me at the One of a Kind Show!

Whoop
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Oldtimer... we're not out of the woods yet.

Yes, it's been a good start... but these are up ahead still.

http://www.seethrugraphics.com/images/Storm%20Clouds%20with%20Lighting.jpg

Oldtimer
03-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I hope the person that sent you that email bought a painting from me at the One of a Kind Show!

I wonder... he has bought few over the years...

Brooker
03-16-2010, 01:33 PM
THere are enought threads already of self congratulations over achiving nothing in 3 years. This thread shuold be closed.

right after you add to the list of the many "MO MUST GO" threads.

ahh the hypocrisy is delicious. :D

trane
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
^ What hypcrasy, when did you see the last Mo must go thread?

Months ago, and yet there is another off season when we have no team to get going, and people will try to try to stop reality with this crap. We are a shite team, in a shite league, and if we do nothing it will stay that way.

KING DAVE IS MY HERO

Rudi
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
right after you add to the list of the many "MO MUST GO" threads.

ahh the hypocrisy is delicious. :D
I think that was the point.

He seems pissed that Oldtimer closed his negative thread, so he came here to attack OT's positive one. At least that's how it seems

Brooker
03-16-2010, 01:38 PM
oOoOo more drama than meets the eye? silly me. :)

Oldtimer
03-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I think that was the point.

He seems pissed that Oldtimer closed his negative thread, so he came here to attack OT's positive one. At least that's how it seems

I can take a little piss in my soup, Rudi.

Besides, about 90% of us agree with trane that Mo should go (see my tagline). It's just that we don't need trane to start so many threads.

trane
03-16-2010, 01:40 PM
^ I start threads, because you close them because you assume it will be negative, and even if it is so what?

Whoop
03-16-2010, 01:42 PM
A friend of mine, who was a Toronto Rock season ticket holder, once asked me "what will happen if TFC keeps losing?" when I was telling him that TFC would be more successful than the Toronto Rock.

And yet, there is a similar trajectory with TFC and the Rock, except the Rock did have a dynasty in the early 2000s.

I have a number of friends who were season ticket holders. Ownership got rid of good management and brought in crap management. Crap management started losing - after they had won all those titles - people stopped going to games. Attendance suffered.

Brought back good management but the damage has been done.

At some point attendance will suffer, TFC won't be the "it" thing to do and unless MLSE does something, it will just be another sport in the landscape of Toronto.

I just hope it's not the case.

P.S. Yes, yes lacrosse doesn't have the same cache worldwide as football but lacrosse is hugely popular sport in southern Ontario.

Rudi
03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
I think trane started St. Paddy's Day a little early. :D

(I have no problem with that, BTW)

Oldtimer
03-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Trane's going to have to take a break.

Stouffville_RPB
03-16-2010, 01:57 PM
A friend of mine, who was a Toronto Rock season ticket holder, once asked me "what will happen if TFC keeps losing?" when I was telling him that TFC would be more successful than the Toronto Rock.

And yet, there is a similar trajectory with TFC and the Rock, except the Rock did have a dynasty in the early 2000s.

I have a number of friends who were season ticket holders. Ownership got rid of good management and brought in crap management. Crap management started losing - after they had won all those titles - people stopped going to games. Attendance suffered.

Brought back good management but the damage has been done.

At some point attendance will suffer, TFC won't be the "it" thing to do and unless MLSE does something, it will just be another sport in the landscape of Toronto.

I just hope it's not the case.

P.S. Yes, yes lacrosse doesn't have the same cache worldwide as football but lacrosse is hugely popular sport in southern Ontario.

As one of the 16,000 on a waiting list I wouldn't mind it if some of the casuals dropped off just for me :D

I agree with what you're saying though.

rocker
03-16-2010, 02:05 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/graph.jpg

Stouffville_RPB
03-16-2010, 02:07 PM
^ you'd think it was the other way with all the talk around here.

Roogsy
03-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Really Adrian? Would you like to put down a friendly wager as to whether TFC has more or less point in 2010 than they did in 2009?

I don't mean to do it in a positive thread from Oldtimer...but reality is reality and referring to all the "talk around here", I would say there is good reason for people being upset and it has everything to do with the state of the team.

That is all I will say in this thread to keep it from going offside...PM me if you'd like to take me up on my bet.

rocker
03-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Really Adrian? Would you like to put down a friendly wager as to whether TFC has more or less point in 2010 than they did in 2009?

I don't mean to do it in a positive thread from Oldtimer...but reality is reality and referring to all the "talk around here", I would say there is good reason for people being upset and it has everything to do with the state of the team.

That is all I will say in this thread to keep it from going offside...PM me if you'd like to take me up on my bet.

If TFC has fewer points in 2010, then go ahead and complain vehemently like the sky is falling. I would definitely say that going down in points is a massive problem. But it hasn't happened yet.

It's fine to have a concern, but he's correct -- based on points increase year to year, there doesn't seem to be a justification for the sky is falling talk -- yet.

Whoop
03-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, first we have to see if there is a season...

And then I guess we should all genuflect to Mo for the great team he has assembled, and of course to MLSE for giving us a team in the first place.

My energy has been misplaced...

Technorgasm
03-16-2010, 02:30 PM
it would be MUCH easier if we were a promoted USL team ect. . . .

starting from scratch blows. . . .

Beach_Red
03-16-2010, 02:45 PM
If TFC has fewer points in 2010, then go ahead and complain vehemently like the sky is falling. I would definitely say that going down in points is a massive problem. But it hasn't happened yet.

It's fine to have a concern, but he's correct -- based on points increase year to year, there doesn't seem to be a justification for the sky is falling talk -- yet.

This is the core of the problem, though. I'm going to say it again - the corporate mentality of MLSE has acted in a very predictable way. Remember when they used to call it TQM - Total Quality Management?

Like any company they set benchmarks for their people to reach. Probably when Mo was hired he was given a list of objectives (as whoever took the job would have been) - and increasing the point total was one of them. And making a profit and probably a bunch of others - none of which would be the things that people here are complaining about.

So, in order to keep his job, Mo hit the benchmarks, had a performance review and was told he did what had been asked (that Edu sale was probably a biggie). He got an extension.

Now he's going to move up to become more a part of MLSE than TFC and the running of the team is handed off to someone else. So, again, we're getting what we've asked for, sort of.

The problem may be the benchmarks the upper management set - but what should they have aked for? Would it ever have occurred to anyone at MLSE to say, "Oh, and make sure you give the fans lots of information and make sure all the players are treated really, really well."

The worst part, of course, is that the ownership has used the fans' enthusiasm as a marketing tool, and they do think they're being as responsive as they can.

Oh, so when I get depressed I remember - there are no surprises here. Things are moving along exactly as expected.

Parkdale
03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
it would be MUCH easier if we were a promoted USL team ect. . . .

starting from scratch blows. . . .

except for.... Seattle (47 points in 2009)
And Philly (which isn't really 'from scratch' but kinda)

Roogsy
03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Let's not take away from Oldtimer's thread guys. I know I am one to talk considering my post...but let's not turn what he intends to be a positive thread into another MLSE bitch session.

mlsintoronto
03-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Wooooaaahhhh....a wise man told me you NEVER bet against your own team.

Roogsy
03-16-2010, 03:10 PM

LOL! :lol:

Some of us know where the safe money is....that's why people entrust us with their life savings. :D

Whoop
03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Ba zing... LOL

gtaguy
03-16-2010, 06:29 PM

A Wise man told me to never cry, and believe that success can happen overnight. 4 years is something to cry about.

This is no better then "Reality Makeover".. Even though your ugly the makeover makes you not much more attractive then before.

Oldtimer
03-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Wow... I start a thread to cheer us up when we feel depressed... and end up feeling depressed. :(

gtaguy
03-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Wow... I start a thread to cheer us up when we feel depressed... and end up feeling depressed. :(

sorry oldtimer.. I couldn't resist mlsintoronto comments..

although in some small way i have hope and faith this team get r done this year.. :)

Bars92
03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm more depressed about this whole MLS situation than I am about TFC specifically. As a wise man once said: we have tons of gravy, but no boats to speak of.

rocker
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
4 years is something to cry about.

Get in line behind the Red Bull fans!!!

at least they can cry about 14 seasons of winning nothing in their fancy new stadium...!

gtaguy
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Get in line behind the Red Bull fans!!!

at least they can cry about 14 seasons of winning nothing in their fancy new stadium...!

Thats what im hoping to avoid. 10 more seasons of futility is not bearable..