PDA

View Full Version : Gerba sent home

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nodoubtguy
03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
So we are hearing he was released and sources tell me he was not at the practice today.

London
03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
who is your source???

the guy downstairs from you???

Pinkie
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
tsk tsk sal don't post while drunk

but really.

what?

SilverSamurai
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Need a source...
Would be stupid though. Not like anyone else is left to play striker...
don't even get me started on Barrett...

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2010, 03:29 PM
If this news is accurate, I would have been upset a year ago. Now, not so much. I'd rather have the 200K in cap space...

canadian_bhoy
03-15-2010, 03:30 PM
C-pGzCre7Po

Nodoubtguy
who is your source???

Pat!! How's your trip??? and bring me Pizza Bites!!!

tsk tsk sal don't post while drunk

but really.

what?

yeah, we just heard from a source.....and he wasn't at practice....but thats all we know

Redpunkfiddle
who is your source???

Sources? Why aren't you AT the practices? You think you are on some MoJo Brazillian lark down there?

Interesting. I felt that Gerba's nonchalent attitude might not endear him to the new taskmaster.

Shaughno
03-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I bet this was Preki's decision if true. Too much money for the production he was providing and I have a feeling Preki wants to cut loose any dead weight he can (pun intended).

That frees up some serioux cap space for new signings.

canadian_bhoy
03-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Mo cleaning cap space?

Here comes our next Laurent Robert!

London
03-15-2010, 03:34 PM
^^^^ because i like ladies more than practice.

practice, were talking about practice, here.

We have heard that he was released and was absent from practice, WE are asking you if you heard anything!!!!

SAL, pizza bites are ready

Shaughno
03-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Mo brought him in, no? This would be Preki clearing his space.

Nodoubtguy
03-15-2010, 03:36 PM

We have heard that he was released and was absent from practice, WE are asking you if you heard anything!!!!

nom nom nom

yeah, we did practice last year....beach walk was easily better

Section 117
03-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I read somewhere that MLS rules allow you to release one player without it counting against the cap when all the stuff was going down with Robinson

"THE PAGE"
03-15-2010, 03:38 PM
who is your source???

the groundkeepers wifes boy friend!

Shaughno
03-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Given that this is preseason... would it not make a difference? Or was Gerba on a guaranteed?

dantdot
03-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Well, it's a good thing we have plenty of strikers!

Section 117
03-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Fat bastard aka Ali Gerba is on a guaranteed contract at if i remeber correctky $250 or $275k

Section 117
03-15-2010, 03:41 PM
I am going to try and convince Dichio to come out of retirement for one more year.....

Redpunkfiddle
03-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Curiously, there have been no official announcements. I am sure Mo is setting up the mics as we speak for a revealing presser.

Section 117
03-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Curiously, there have been no official announcements. I am sure Mo is setting up the mics as we speak for a revealing presser.

Waht you meant is they will officailly let us know on Friday after everyone knows

Shaughno
03-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah I remembered it being in the region of $225-250. I forgot about the guaranteed bullshit.

So how the fuck would that work?

ManUtd4ever
Perhaps Preki is intent on using White as a lone striker until Barrett is healthy? Maybe DeRo will move up? Either way, Gerba was clearly not in game shape after we all assumed that he would work hard in the offseason to make an impression this year. Perhaps Gerba wasn't utilized often enough in a two striker formation but I would have to say that Gerba was the biggest bust of a signing to date...

canadian_bhoy
Wow. It's really surprising that a guy who got dumped by League One MK Dons would end up being a total flop. :S

We should have never signed this sandbag.

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah I remembered it being in the region of $225-250. I forgot about the guaranteed bullshit.

So how the fuck would that work?

I sincerely hope his salary is the equivalent of the cap space TFC would gain...

Beach_Red
03-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Mo brought him in, no? This would be Preki clearing his space.

If that's true (and it most likely is) we can now consider it Preki's team and think of Mo as just another of the MLSE suits.

Rudi
03-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Fat bastard aka Ali Gerba is on a guaranteed contract at if i remeber correctky $250 or $275k

Yeah I remembered it being in the region of $225-250.
I'm glad we don't have to rely on your guys' memories for anything important. :D

$177k guaranteed compensation.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/september_15_2009_salary_information__by_club.pdf

Roogsy
03-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Perhaps Preki is intent on using White as a lone striker until Barrett is healthy? Maybe DeRo will move up? Either way, Gerba was clearly not in game shape after we all assumed that he would work hard in the offseason to make an impression this year. Perhaps Gerba wasn't utilized often enough in a two striker formation but I would have to say that Gerba was the biggest bust of a signing to date...

Whether you wanted to see him with the team or not, I would have to say that anyone that hasn't seen Gerba lately couldn't possibly make this statement. The man probably lost 15 lbs and looked game-ready last I saw him a couple of weeks ago.

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm glad we don't have to rely on your guys' memories for anything important. :D

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/september_15_2009_salary_information__by_club.pdf

Hey, I was pretty close! :D

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Whether you wanted to see him with the team or not, I would have to say that anyone that hasn't seen Gerba lately couldn't possibly make this statement. The man probably lost 15 lbs and looked game-ready last I saw him a couple of weeks ago.

Based on Saturday's game which I watched online, he still seemed to be labouring on the pitch. Then again, he wasn't exactly fleet a foot to begin with...

flatpicker
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
This is probably good news for Gerba.
The way things go for ex-Toronto players, he'll likely get picked up by KC and score 15 goals for them.

Shaughno
03-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Fuck off... it's Monday! :lol:

To be fair, I should know that given that I've read that damn PDF over about 50 times now. :o

Guajiro
03-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Why is it that most striker signings are "busts" (Robert, Vitti & Gerba to name a few)? Could it be more the players feeding them the ball that are the problem? Gerba had no trouble scoring goals for the CMNT, or MK Dons for that matter. I have this sickening feeling that players only "bust" when they come to Toronto, and that goes for Leafs and Raptors too. Maybe it's the MLSE curse!

Shaughno
03-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Given that 2 of the 3 players you named aren't strikers... that might be part of the problem why you would consider them a bust as strikers LOL

trane
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM
^ While I agree with your observation, sometimes I wonder why so many players are busts here. Certainly some just do not have it, but some are puzzling. I know that Gerba is not popular. BUT he seemed to know how to score goals, just not here. Anyway who knows if he has been released.

olegunnar
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Do you know of a place where 2010 salaries are posted?

i think that information would be more pertinent.

Maybe he's making less this year? Maybe he's making more? Sorry, was going to make.

Rudi
03-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Do you know of a place where 2010 salaries are posted?

i think that information would be more pertinent.

Maybe he's making less this year? Maybe he's making more? Sorry, was going to make.
They don't get posted until (generally) mid-April.

Guajiro
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Given that 2 of the 3 players you named aren't strikers... that might be part of the problem why you would consider them a bust as strikers LOL

Picky picky. Fine, fowards then. I know Vitti didn't really play as a striker most of last season, but I seem to remember Mo bringing him in to be a striker. The common element being that they were intended to score goals.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2010, 04:08 PM
im still not convinced that gerba has been given a fair shake, hes not been utilized properly, as well as was out of shape and arrived injured last season. id be a bit disappointed especially as id be willing to bet that we dont have anyone to replace him at this time.

Nuvinho
03-15-2010, 04:13 PM

I will play striker, I will miss the net as many times as Gerba, I weight less than Gerba, and will take half of what you are paying Gerba.....haha!!!

This would be a weird move to do (just up TFC's alley), unless we have someone coming in (cough....Dickov in the summer).

trane
03-15-2010, 04:14 PM
^ Gerba was not one to miss the net. That is not his issue. He can finish, he just was not in a position to finish most of the time with TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2010, 04:17 PM
^ Gerba was not one to miss the net. That is not his issue. He can finish, he just was not in a position to finish most of the time with TFC.

yep agreed, id like to see more of him from this season before hes released.
man i can remember people begging mo for him to come and going nuts when he did and now they turn on him. so very tiresome

rocker
03-15-2010, 04:19 PM
ya I remember players lofting balls over Gerba's head, down field, last year and expecting him to run on to them... and I kept thinking how dumb a strategy that is with him. Nobody would expect Dichio to do that either. Gerba seems best when he's in close, battling, and someone crosses it in to him. He did fine against all kinds of competition in this way for Canada.

trane
03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
^ That is exaclty what I thought, and expected. I tought he would be used up high playing physical against the CBs, creating a bit of space a turning to shot. You got to play to the quality of the player. Somehow we never seem to be able to to that here.

Suds
ya I remember players lofting balls over Gerba's head, down field, last year and expecting him to run on to them... and I kept thinking how dumb a strategy that is with him. Nobody would expect Dichio to do that either. Gerba seems best when he's in close, battling, and someone crosses it in to him. He did fine against all kinds of competition in this way for Canada.

I agree with that. I've always seen Gerba more as a poacher type striker. Players like that need to be a on a team that can get the ball into the box effectively so he can distrupt a defender and pop the loose ball into the net.

Nuvinho

that comment was more of a joke on my part. The revolving door that Mo has implemented at TFC is making this team a joke!!! a joke of MLS!!!

ArmenJBX
My FIFA 10 Manager Mode - Real Life Machine (tm) is working perfectly!

Expect to see the signing of Dejan Jakovic, Will Johnson, and Cam Weaver in the next 2 weeks.

Blizzard
03-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Need a source...
Would be stupid though. Not like anyone else is left to play striker...
don't even get me started on Barrett...

DeRo and OB would be a good place to start.

Redpunkfiddle
03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
I'd like to remind everyone that aquiring Gerba's rights from SJ involved us taking on a certain Jeffrey (Edit: Nicolas) Garcia.

Rudi
03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I'd like to remind everyone that aquiring Gerba's rights from SJ involved us taking on a certain Jeffrey Garcia.
Jeff Garcia did pretty well the last time he was in Canada. :wink:

Blizzard
03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I'd like to remind everyone that aquiring Gerba's rights from SJ involved us taking on a certain Jeffrey Garcia.

Ya but boy can he throw a pass! Great back up for Flutie in Calgary too.

:facepalm:

Pachuco
03-15-2010, 04:44 PM

OH GOD, you're right. I wish you didn't say that. Classic move Mo. If he's been released, then based on how he played last year and based on how Garcia played last year this could very well be Mo's dumbest move of all time.

Redpunkfiddle
03-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Jeff Garcia did pretty well the last time he was in Canada. :wink:

Damn you and your FACTs.

I knew that first name didn't sound quite right. Nicolas.

rocker
03-15-2010, 04:50 PM
i wonder if this rumour is as accurate as that rumour of the banning of alcohol in the seats at BMO field....

DangerRed
03-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Good riddance. Everyone who said Gerba's not unfit, he's just really "built," maybe you can help him pack up his shit.

johnmolinaro
03-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Just talked to Mo. He confirmed that the team sent Gerba home because he broke teams rules and wans't up to scratch in pre-season. Stated that he's not been released and will remain with the team.

story to follow

John Molinaro
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

canadian_bhoy
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Just talked to Mo. He confirmed that the team sent Gerba home for disciplinary reasons. Stated that he's not been released and will remain with the team.

story to follow

John Molinaro

Is he "still with the team" in the same way that "dichio is too old to travel" or Robbo was "released"?

NNfWC4Sgkcs

Pachuco
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Just talked to Mo. He confirmed that the team sent Gerba home for disciplinary reasons. Stated that he's not been released and will remain with the team.

story to follow

John Molinaro

WOW, don't even know what to say. Over paid lazy ass striker now with disciplinary problems. I hope to god it's permanent.

Redpunkfiddle
03-15-2010, 05:02 PM

story to follow

John Molinaro

And the interwebs continue to work their magic.

I presume John you picked up this story from seeing the post on the board? Or had you heard of it otherwise.

CoachGT
03-15-2010, 05:03 PM
He looked in shape at the game on Saturday,at least more so than I remember from last year.

Redpunkfiddle
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Good riddance. Everyone who said Gerba's not unfit, he's just really "built," maybe you can help him pack up his shit.

He looked in shape at the game on Saturday,at least more so than I remember from last year.

Thanks Coach for providing an opinion based on first hand evidence, and being someone who knows what they are talking about.

billyfly
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
^So there u go.

JDG
03-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I talked with a friend at MLSE about this today, and he commented that Gerba is not out of shape at all. The word he used to describe Gerba's physique was "Cut".

wzhxvy
03-15-2010, 05:07 PM
I was going to say that I agree with someone earlier....Gerba looked like he had lost some weight and I was looking forward to see him play. I think they should have given him at least a chance to play a few games early in the season.

Now with the news of discplinary action...you get the feeling this team is going to turn into a soap opera very very soon...

TFCtoMUFC
03-15-2010, 05:10 PM
http://www.hsdoors.com/assets/images/Revolving_Door.jpg

johnmolinaro
03-15-2010, 05:12 PM
And the interwebs continue to work their magic.

I presume John you picked up this story from seeing the post on the board? Or had you heard of it otherwise.

nope. heard it from another source entirely. to be clear, Mo said Gerba was sent home because he wasn't up to scratch in pre-season.

john

cy43

That's a sweet door!

And accurate, this is becoming a joke really, not so much the revolving door that is the franchise but the lack of information about what's going on is pretty concerning.

BC101
LOL TFCToPark that was actually amusing.

dantdot
03-15-2010, 05:13 PM
nope. heard it from another source entirely. to be clear, Mo said Gerba was sent him because he broke team rules and because he wasn't up to scratch in pre-season.

john

What purpose does this serve? Unless they plan to move him?

Suds
03-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I was going to say that I agree with someone earlier....Gerba looked like he had lost some weight and I was looking forward to see him play. I think they should have given him at least a chance to play a few games early in the season.

Now with the news of discplinary action...you get the feeling this team is going to turn into a soap opera very very soon...

That can be a pretty broad statment when used in the sense of sports teams. I'm hoping it's not something to upset the dressing room itself.

Players can be disciplined for all kinds of things. Missing curfew, attitude towards a coaching staff member, etc. So, obviously he broke some rule that has led to action being taken. I look forward to seeing John M's follow-up post with more details.

Suds
03-15-2010, 05:17 PM
What purpose does this serve? Unless they plan to move him?

standard practice on any sports team ... all teams have a set of rules and if a player breaks one there are various actions taken

Obviously in this case it has been decided it's best for Gerba to be away form the team temporarily ... sometimes this is just to let cooler heads prevail. Sometimes it's because the player is disrupting the dressing room. All this is just speculation until John M gets his story out.

Redpunkfiddle
03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
That can be a pretty broad statment when used in the sense of sports teams. I'm hoping it's not something to upset the dressing room itself.

Players can be disciplined for all kinds of things. Missing curfew, attitude towards a coaching staff member, etc. So, obviously he broke some rule that has led to action being taken. I look forward to seeing John M's follow-up post with more details.

Banging the gaffer's wife, etc. But John said it was discipline and performance related. I'll wait to hear the story.

johnmolinaro
03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Mo said he wasn sent home becaue he wasnt up to scratch in pre-season. Said that the club has not released Gerba.
john

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Up and until this point, I wasn't really paying much attention to the doom and gloom talk, but it's looking spot on.

If TFC does release Gerba, I sure hope they've got someone lined up. Kristian Jack makes it sounds like Gerba being released is still a possibility.

CoachGT
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Looking like you are in shape and playing effectively are two completely different things. He didn't seem to be crashing and banging on Saturday as he had in the past.

Redpunkfiddle
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
UltraSuperMegaMo[/SIZE];931646]Up and until this point, I wasn't really paying much attention to the doom and gloom talk, but it's looking spot on.

If TFC does release Gerba, I sure hope they've got someone lined up.

Et tu, UltraSuperMegaMo?

Pachuco
03-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Banging the gaffer's wife, etc. But John said it was discipline and performance related. I'll wait to hear the story.

That would be one retarted move. The guy isn't performing up to par so instead of making him practice extra hard we're going to send him home and let him get worse.

What's interesting is every analysis of the game I've read basically said Gerba was horrendous on Saturday. Admittedly I didn't watch the game. Now I'm hearing that he's fit. I would've assumed if he had that bad of a game then it was because his fitness wasn't there yet.

CoachGT
And if not playing well on Saturday is enough, then about half the team should be sent home.....

UltraSuperMegaMo
Looking like you are in shape and playing effectively are two completely different things. He didn't seem to be crashing and banging on Saturday as he had in the past.

But by that standard the rest of the team should be sent home too.

You just beat me to it.

rocker
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
although it's interesting that one of the common threads throughout his career is having falling outs with coaches.

trane
nope. heard it from another source entirely. to be clear, Mo said Gerba was sent home because he wasn't up to scratch in pre-season.

john

Who was up to stracth exaclty. Attakora, JDG, Cronin. Who else? Send them all home.

jloome
Translation service:

Preki: He's useless, get rid of him.

Mo: I canna, he's on a guaranteed contract.

Preki: Don't care, he's as useless as a lump of fudge in the middle of a hot oven. Move him.

Mo: Och, trade time. Meanwhile, I'll send him home so his useless, lazy performances stop pissing off others on the team.

He's on guaranteed money, so mo's not going to just cut him without trying to move him first. Good luck on that one. I think he'd have an easier time with the lump of fudge.

Pachuco
03-15-2010, 05:27 PM
And if not playing well on Saturday is enough, then about half the team should be sent home.....

Well, let's be fair here. Saturday isn't Gerba's first game with TFC. And when you say "not playing well on Saturday is enough" are you referring to him possibly being released? because if that's the case, last season, plus all the other preseason games plus all the practices they've had sure is enough for someone to make a decision on a player.

billyfly
03-15-2010, 05:27 PM
MMMMMM....Fudge....

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/Images/drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

trane
03-15-2010, 05:28 PM
^ Alright, but who is acctualy usefull on out team? Particullarly Saturday.

The team is shite and useless, and the one way revolving door has to stop at some point.

CoachGT
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Well, let's be fair here. Saturday isn't Gerba's first game with TFC. And when you say "not playing well on Saturday is enough" are you referring to him possibly being released? because if that's the case, last season, plus all the other preseason games plus all the practices they've had sure is enough for someone to make a decision on a player.

Just a statement - I don't realistically believe that he was sent home because of one pre-season game. Nothing to do with being released.

trane

He hardhly played last year. I mean it may be a good move, but we have no proven strikers. We have no real strikers.

wzhxvy
So here is my issue with this constant BS...why do we keep moving players out when we dont have a freaking replacement...Serioux, Robinson and if true Gerba...where are the guys coming in ? How is it acceptable that we are two weeks away from starting the season and this team is a total freaking circus...and then we will get the excuse its going to take the team time to gel a few games...well FFS dont build a team on the fly and then give us that BS excuse year after year...

trane
03-15-2010, 05:32 PM
^ agreed. this is so fucking fly by night.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
What's this "TFC can release one player without an affect on the cap" KJ has on his twitter mean?

Suds
03-15-2010, 05:35 PM
So here is my issue with this constant BS...why do we keep moving players out when we dont have a freaking replacement...Serioux, Robinson and if true Gerba...where are the guys coming in ? How is it acceptable that we are two weeks away from starting the season and this team is a total freaking circus...and then we will get the excuse its going to take the team time to gel a few games...well FFS dont build a team on the fly and then give us that BS excuse year after year...

Getting to be disappoint isn't it. If the season kicks of as scheduled and this team ends up being a shit-show it's not going to be pretty.

trane
03-15-2010, 05:36 PM
^ So we have cap room to sign Dickov.

reggie
03-15-2010, 05:37 PM
wtf is the point of sending him home without releasing him.

Broadview
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Who was that older euro guy who was recently let go from Chivas? He was a Preki guy, I wonder if this is making room for him.

Suds
03-15-2010, 05:40 PM
wtf is the point of sending him home without releasing him.

If the player being there creates an issue on the team they send him home but keep his rights to trade/sell ... or to send a message to get his ass in gear and perform better.

As noted in earlier posts, his contract is guaranteed so it would be crazy to release him without trying to get something in return first.

UltraSuperMegaMo

If Dickov is the answer, what is the question?

Maybe signing Dickov wouldn't be so bad, but he's not even available until the end of the League One season. This is getting mental, I'm seriously considering taking up stamp collecting instead internet-obcessing over TFC.

JDG

Do we?
Someone needs to do a tally of the salaries of the players we still have.
I'll bet we're still really close to the cap. As I understand it, we spent well over the cap last year thanks to allocation money. The likelyhood that we still have a lot of allocation money to play with is pretty low.

Yohan
03-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Do we?
Someone needs to do a tally of the salaries of the players we still have.
I'll bet we're still really close to the cap. As I understand it, we spent well over the cap last year thanks to allocation money. The likelyhood that we still have a lot of allocation money to play with is pretty low.
well, maybe not a lot but missing playoff means decent amount of allocation money, right?

flambe
03-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Not sure if this is posted so apologies if it has:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/03/15/sp-soccer-gerba.html

bgnewf
03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Never thought I would be excited to be looking forward to the return of Chad Barrett. God knows we apparently need him.

mastermixer
03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
It might not be on-field performance. Maybe the guy showed up to practice hungover from drinking the night before and Preki ain't having it.
He does look like he has a little beer gut.

Roogsy
03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I don't get this team. They're not releasing him but they're sending him back to Toronto so...what? He can sit at home and watch movies?

And if they don't release him they want to...what? Trade him? That isn't a way to get his trade value up, saying he is "not up to scratch".

Unreal...Mo is becoming a bigger joke by the day.

Pachuco
03-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Not sure if this is posted so apologies if it has:

This story from Mo makes absolutely no sense. We aren't over the last three lies and this fucker is coming up with another one right in front of our face. There is no way in hell you send a player home because he's not playing well without trading him or releasing him. He's on a guaranteed contract so you could atleast use him as a pilon in practice worst comes to worst.

I can't take the stupidity of this management any longer. Tommorrow they'll trade Dero for a bag of pucks and extend Nick Garcia's contract.

TFCRegina
03-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Not released, sent home. He's on a Guaranteed contract, so they won't release him *facepalm*

Darlofletch
03-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Very strange. Isn't the point of pre-season to practise enough so that your game becomes up to scratch? how is sending him home going to help him settle into the team? Once again, something at TFC doesn't quite smell right.

I'm disappointed in how the whole gerba thing's worked out so far. I had really high hopes when we signed him, and I still think that in the right team, he'd be really good at this level, but we obviously don't seem to be the right team for him. He looked shit on saturday in the half a game that I watched, but then so did a lot of the team.

flatpicker
03-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm starting to wish Toronto had a USL First Division team!

MUFC_Niagara
03-15-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't get this team. They're not releasing him but they're sending him back to Toronto so...what? He can sit at home and watch movies?

And if they don't release him they want to...what? Trade him? That isn't a way to get his trade value up, saying he is "not up to scratch".

Unreal...Mo is becoming a bigger joke by the day.

Agreed Roogsy, I have no idea what he is trying to say in that article. :facepalm:

Redpunkfiddle
03-15-2010, 06:03 PM
John M. must have tried to pierce this fog - maybe he can give another first hand account.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-15-2010, 06:06 PM
How players do this leave us with? No Gerba, no Herold. Like 16 or 17?

bgnewf
03-15-2010, 06:07 PM
...They're not releasing him but they're sending him back to Toronto so...what? He can sit at home and watch movies?...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Sending him home because he was "not up to snuff" for anything other than discipline issues makes absolutely no sense. If his performance is not there then run him into the bloody ground on the training pitch until he either gets with the program or leaves of his own volition.

If it's his attitude rather than effort, then sending him home only makes trading his rights and trying to get something back in return for him all the less likely. If he is traded I guarantee we will get nothing more than the MLS proverbial bag of soccer balls, the 2011 4th round MLS Superdraft draft pick. At the rate we are going I think we will have at least 10 picks in the 4th round next season.

olegunnar
03-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Nah
Mo will probably just screw over someone like Jimmy B (I'd bet he's next on the list to screw over), so Mo can get some cap room....but we'll be told the captain asked to leave/career ending injury/wife didn't like the city/too old to fly/wants to quit soccer to follow life long dream of working at starbucks. Something like that.

mastermixer
03-15-2010, 06:10 PM
People, I hate to speculate and blow things out of proportion but I think if there was an easy explanation for all things that have been happening the last few weeks (maybe even months) then they would have been letting us know. Unfortunately I think something really shitty is going on inside this organization and eventually the bubble will have to burst and it will all make sense.

johnmolinaro
03-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Full apologies for posting on this board (and for Tweets) that said Gerba was sent home for disciplinary reasons. There was a slight mis-communication between me and Mo.

(thank God I didn't print that in my story!)

Anyway, to be clear, the story is this: Gerba was sent home because the team felt he hasn't been up to scratch in pre-season thus far. Mo also stressed that Gerba has not been released by the club.

To read the full story with quotes from Mo, go here:

Cheers,
John Molinaro

reggie
03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
i hear that jimmy b does not want to play on grass,i think he is next...

jloome
03-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Full apologies for posting on this board (and for Tweets) that said Gerba was sent home for disciplinary reasons. There was a slight mis-communication between me and Mo.

Anyway, to be clear, the story is this: Gerba was sent home because the team felt he hasn't been up to scratch in pre-season thus far. Mo also stressed that Gerba has not been released by the club.

Cheers,
John Molinaro

I'm sure someone asked him why -- what possible purpose could this serve, other than sending the message that he's not good enough for the team. Hardly a smart move if you're trying to unload a guaranteed salary.

Won't make him a sharper player.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-15-2010, 06:15 PM
“He’s worked hard but his play was not up to scratch,” Johnston said.

What a strange thing to say. Why wouldn't they just keep him in camp then if wasn't an issue of work ethic? TFC should just sign Dave Simpson and Slevin Lammie.

Super
03-15-2010, 06:17 PM
It could be that Gerba showed zero motivation and this is Mo's way of pushing him to perform better.

Redpunkfiddle
03-15-2010, 06:20 PM
It could be that Gerba showed zero motivation and this is Mo's way of pushing him to perform better.

But he worked hard said Mo.

This makes no sence at all.

bgnewf
03-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Sending him home does not exactly increase the proverbial trade value of yet another TFC player on a guaranteed contract now does it?

:picard:

Grinding him into mush on the training pitch make a lot more sense to me.

Super
03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Sending him home does not exactly increase the proverbial trade value of yet another TFC player on a guaranteed contract now does it?

:picard:

Grinding him into mush on the training pitch make a lot more sense to me.

I'll have to agree with you completely. There's no scenario where it makes sense to send home a guaranteed player unless he was seriously slacking off, mouthing off, etc..

MFG1
03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm starting to wish Toronto had a USL First Division team!

They do have one, its your current squad !!!hahahahahaha111!!1111

flambe
03-15-2010, 06:26 PM
this reeks of another bad decision by Mo. as has been mentioned, don't send him home as punishment and therefore reduce his trade value.

something don't smell right to me....

Detroit_TFC
03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
The only thing that would make sense for doing this is a severe after-hours disciplinary infraction. But, if there was, or if there was a major bust-up, it probably would have hit the grapevine by now.

To me, it just shows disarray.

Roogsy
03-15-2010, 06:30 PM
People, I hate to speculate and blow things out of proportion but I think if there was an easy explanation for all things that have been happening the last few weeks (maybe even months) then they would have been letting us know. Unfortunately I think something really shitty is going on inside this organization and eventually the bubble will have to burst and it will all make sense.

Oh dear gawd...I hope you're not on to something.

anto7
03-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Wow, there is more god damn drama within this organisation than on Desperate Housewives !
They should make a reality TV show about us but nobody would ever believe that any of it is true.

Rudi
03-15-2010, 06:33 PM
this reeks of another bad decision by Mo.
Actually, this has Preki written all over it.

Parkdale
03-15-2010, 06:36 PM

get off the internet~~~!!!!!

rocker
03-15-2010, 06:38 PM

yup.. go back to 2007, Chivas USA, and Preki VS. Amado Guevara to see something similar.

AL-MO
03-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Nah
Mo will probably just screw over someone like Jimmy B (I'd bet he's next on the list to screw over), so Mo can get some cap room....but we'll be told the captain asked to leave/career ending injury/wife didn't like the city/too old to fly/wants to quit soccer to follow life long dream of working at starbucks. Something like that.

I don't think Mo is going to screw over one of his 'boys'. If that were the case Gracia would already be gone (like he should be).

Yohan
yup.. go back to 2007, Chivas USA, and Preki VS. Amado Guevara to see something similar.
well, at least preki has a backbone to slap down primadonnas

anto7

Cheers,
John Molinaro
John, did you not ask Mo what exactly was the purpose of sending him home?
If so, what was the answer?

AL-MO
03-15-2010, 06:44 PM
This is just WEIRD.....

Canadian Blue
Hopefully he is gone

sully

good question..this doesn't add up...does it? To what end does sending him home serve? Is this like "you go to your room and think about what you did young man!".. this is really odd.

andyc
03-15-2010, 06:49 PM

John

How can there possibly be a miscommunication with Mo?? He speaks so clearly... :D

So did he change his lies half way through the conversation or did he call you back to lie again??? :(

Blizzard
I'll have to agree with you completely. There's no scenario where it makes sense to send home a guaranteed player unless he was seriously slacking off, mouthing off, etc..

That's what I'm thinking. There is much more here than meets the eye. I wonder if this is going to be another buy out scenario. It wouldn't be the worst thing to do if it frees up some additional salary cap space. We surely need it.

Derko
I don't know about Ali Gerba, he is supposed to be a goal poacher, pick up the scraps and score, yes he is slow, but I didn't realize until Saturday's game how lazy and disinterested he looked, at least when Barrett is on the pitch he is hustling to try and make things happen.

Yohan
03-15-2010, 06:52 PM
my god! a miracle! people talking positively about barrett! ;)

Blizzard
03-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I don't know about Ali Gerba, he is supposed to be a goal poacher, pick up the scraps and score, yes he is slow, but I didn't realize until Saturday's game how lazy and disinterested he looked, at least when Barrett is on the pitch he is hustling to try and make things happen.

Very good point. If you could combine Chad's work rate/ethic with Ali's finish, we'd have one helluva player.

It really does seem like the club has given up on Ali. Time will tell I guess.

jloome
03-15-2010, 06:59 PM

This seems likely. I wonder if he had to give Mo an ultimatum, for Johnson to send a guy home even though they're paying him.

It's obvious that Ali can't cut it at this level now. There was much enthusiasm before he came because he's a junker, and we seemed at the time to have a lot of junk (read, Chad Barrett shots) to clean up.

But he's got nothing else to offer, and without a creative strike partner or a big target man to lay it off to him, he's useless. I imagine Preki has told Mo that if it's really going to be his team, he has to get rid of whomever he has to get rid of.

Serb_Star
03-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Are you guys sure about this? He could have just missed practice because he lost track of time while eating at McDonald's.

johnmolinaro
03-15-2010, 07:02 PM

I asked him directly why Gerba was being sent home.

He said because the coaching staff felt even though Gerba has worked hardk, he hasn't been "up to scratch" in terms of his performances in pre-season thus far.

john

Stryker
03-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Thank gawd we got Garcia in the deal eh Mo?
Eh Mo?

Mikey
03-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Maybe we can loan him to AC Milan now that beckham is injured.....?

Get on the Phone MO!!!:drinking::drinking::drinking:

Beach_Red
03-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Very good point. If you could combine Chad's work rate/ethic with Ali's finish, we'd have one helluva player.

Well, we wouldn't have him then, would we, he'd be gone to some better league.

Last year it seemed there were people on here who really wanted Gerba signed - is this a case of be careful what you wish for? (because it's quite typical of MLSE to do that kind of thing)

MUFC_Niagara
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM

He said because the coaching staff felt even though Gerba has worked hardk, he hasn't been "up to scratch" in terms of his performances in pre-season thus far.

john

This is the most rediculous comment I think I have ever heard. We've played 3 or 4 pre-season games! How does it make sense to send a player home for not playing well for a spell? There is definitely something else going on. That comment makes no sense whatsoever.

Zeke_Jones
03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Gerba isnt good enough to start for us, if we had a dream team behind him to create chances that he could capitalize on then he would be fantastic.

But TFC needs someone who can make something out of nothing, not a van nistelrooy poacher

Yohan
03-15-2010, 07:19 PM
But TFC needs someone who can make something out of nothing, not a van nistelrooy poacher
MLS isn't quite blessed with those kind of strikers. they tend to play in better league

I'd be happy with a consistent 12 goal striker. am i asking too much? lol

Blizzard
03-15-2010, 07:21 PM

Ya agreed Rudi, it really does read like all Preki. As someone else mentioned, it's like Amado at Chivas. Amado was a fine citizen here. I'm starting to believe that Amado was never the problem down in L.A. Maybe it was all Preki?

SilverSamurai
03-15-2010, 07:36 PM
This is weird...
I don't think Gerba was ever really given much of a chance though.

No watch him get called up against Argentina and bag 2 goals...

Makes no sense at all though...

bgnewf
03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
This is one of the more head scratching things this club has ever done. If this is a Preki move (and not really a discipline thing) then it makes little sense to not keep working him hard in camp. He can't be released.

If the plan is to trade him then sending him home makes him worth a 4th round pick in next season's draft at most, plus we'll likely have to eat some more salary to get rid of him. We already have enough 4th round picks don't we???

Roogsy
03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
And why not give him a try and see what he can do? I mean how long have been giving Barrett all the time in the world to "come along" and Gerba gets to start in 5 games? Junk minutes that he got in the rest of the games don't count in my opinion. I want to see what he can do with 60 minutes.

What kind of sacred cow is Barrett??? Everyone else is untouchable except the anti-Rooney?

TFCtoMUFC
03-15-2010, 07:51 PM
And why not give him a try and see what he can do? I mean how long have been giving Barrett all the time in the world to "come along" and Gerba gets to start in 5 games? Junk minutes that he got in the rest of the games don't count in my opinion. I want to see what he can do with 60 minutes.

What kind of sacred cow is Barrett??? Everyone else is untouchable except the anti-Rooney?

http://l.yimg.com/l/tv/us/img/site/57/70/0000035770_20061115182918.jpg

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2010, 07:53 PM

yep, pretty much what im saying too

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
especially when theres noone being lined up to replace him

torontocelt
03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
From what I have seen of him playing for TFC so far he doesn't appear to be anywhere near a decent player. He is slow, looks over weight, doesn't appear to be very mobile, doesn't have a great touch, isn't great at holding up play and looked pretty damn disinterested most of the time. If he turned up for the preseason in anywhere near the state he was in last season despite being heavily criticized for his work rate, fitness and weight issues then there is a problem with that player. Commitment to improving yourself is very important in sport and if he hasn't shown that he is willing to improve then Preki / Mo must be pretty pissed and it is no wonder he was sent home. In saying that TFC cannot just dump him even if they wished they could and his wages are a big drain on the club plus we are short on players. All in all this is a sh*t situation for all parties.

Perhaps training just now is mostly ball work and tactics seeing as how we are quite close to the end of the pre season. Maybe he has been sent home to work exclusively with a fitness trainer, that would be more use to him if indeed he is behind the others in fitness yet again.

ensco
03-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm not happy with Mo but I'm not sure this is really about Mo BS.

Question: what are you supposed to do with a guy on a guarantee who is stiniking up the joint and is un-trade-able ?

Answer: you embarrass him. Hope that he realizes that he'll never work again if he doesn't get it together. Then you bring him back for a last shot a redemption.

mastermixer
03-15-2010, 08:00 PM
From what I have seen of him playing for TFC so far he doesn't appear to be anywhere near a decent player. He is slow, looks over weight, doesn't appear to be very mobile, doesn't have a great touch, isn't great at holding up play and looked pretty damn disinterested most of the time. If he turned up for the preseason in anywhere near the state he was in last season despite being heavily criticized for his work rate, fitness and weight issues then there is a problem with that player. Commitment to improving yourself is very important in sport and if he hasn't shown that he is willing to improve then Preki / Mo must be pretty pissed and it is no wonder he was sent home. In saying that TFC cannot just dump him even if they wished they could and his wages are a big drain on the club plus we are short on players. All in all this is a sh*t situation for all parties.

Perhaps training just now is mostly ball work and tactics seeing as how we are quite close to the end of the season. Maybe he has been sent home to work exclusively with a fitness trainer, that would be more use to him if indeed he is behind the others in fitness yet again.

If this was true it would have been an easy explanation to give rather than leaving it so open. Why can't this organization communicate with its fans?!! Mo gave such an open ended statement doesnt he know the negative effects it can have??

TFC07
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Forget about 24, TFC has more twists and turns in their story. I wonder what is the next twist will be in TFC land.

Heathen
03-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Based on Saturday's game which I watched online, he still seemed to be labouring on the pitch. Then again, he wasn't exactly fleet a foot to begin with...

you sure you don't mean he was in labour on the pitch, he does look in the right condition for it

menefreghista
I'm predicting Gerba will score the goal that knocks us out of the Voyaguers Cup and puts Montreal into the Concacaf Champions League. :(

TFC Cityboy
Forget about 24, TFC has more twists and turns in their story. I wonder what is the next twist will be in TFC land.

Stefan Frei, JDG and DeRo will all be shipped out, and the FO will tell us it emerged they were aliens in human lifeform. They will be traded to an intergalactic league in exchange for three 4th round draft picks in the MLS Superdraft.

Chevy
03-15-2010, 08:14 PM

http://www.yankeetag.com/images/bauerbag.jpg

What's in the bag Mo? Contracts!! One for Lionel Messi and another for Fabio Cannavarro!!

denime
03-15-2010, 08:18 PM
No big deal players strike is coming anyway, I think Gerba just started strike few weeks before others.

Apparently miss-communication between TFC FO and Gerba.:noidea:

Blizzard
03-15-2010, 08:19 PM
http://www.yankeetag.com/images/bauerbag.jpg

What's in the bag Mo? Contracts!! One for Lionel Messi and another for Fabio Cannavarro!!

Nah, it's more like "who you going to chop next Preki? You're pissed off at DeRo are you?"

Nuvinho
03-15-2010, 08:24 PM
No big deal players strike is coming anyway, I think Gerba just started strike few weeks before others.

Apparently miss-communication between TFC FO and Gerba.:noidea:

TFC started their strike during the NYRB game last year, and still haven't shown up yet.

Super
03-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Sigh. I don't know what to think anymore. I used to think that we needed a hard-ass coach to really take charge of this team and bring them to the next level. Now I'm not so sure anymore. Robbo is gone, Amado, Serioux. Now Gerba? Not saying any of these guys would've been here under the reign of a different coach, but the bad vibes coming from TFC right now is just through the roof.

I'm beyond concerned. And as if that's not enough we have to deal with the possibility of a strike - unless they figure something out before Saturday.

WTF!

Nuvinho
03-15-2010, 08:44 PM
OUT:

Fellinga
Guevara
Vitti
Robbo
Serioux
Gerba?

IN:

Peterson
Harden

Very nice!!!

zamperina
03-15-2010, 08:49 PM
The FO can be discribed in the famous words of Mr. Leahy...

"It's a shitstorm Randy"!

Blizzard
03-15-2010, 08:53 PM
OUT:

Fellinga
Guevara
Vitti
Robbo
Serioux
Gerba?

IN:

Peterson
Harden

Very nice!!!

Ya but at least two of Said, Zamparini or Saric will be joining the club. I still expect to see Dickov in a TFC shirt as well.

Super
03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Ya but at least two of Said, Zamparini or Saric will be joining the club. I still expect to see Dickov in a TFC shirt as well.

Yes, that is very true indeed. It's not all a loss at this point. To me, what we need more than ANYTHING at this point is a guy who can score goals. The rest of the team looks alright. Not great. Not as good as last year. But still alright. I'd feel a whole lot better if we had a striker who could produce on a regular basis. That's the minimum, though!

Nuvinho
03-15-2010, 09:03 PM
^ we can't assume anything with this TFC management......we got excited over Andrade coming on trial, on Dickov training with us, by Kayizzi's and Gargan's performance, and now with Said/Zamarini/Saric....until these guys are signed....anything can happen.

What if Mo tries to lowball these guys??

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2010, 09:04 PM
i think we will see all 3 signed but it still means we have two spots open, if not 3

anto7
03-15-2010, 09:05 PM

john
John, that is not what I am asking. I understand that is the reason given for sending him home, my question is what are they trying to accomplish by doing this? What exactly is their intent by sending him home?
Not sure if you got an answer to this or not but without this piece of the puzzle it is all very confusing.
With respect.

Yohan
03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
i think we will see all 3 signed but it still means we have two spots open, if not 3
Mo can fuck up a wet dream so I'm not holding out for anything

i gotta say though, i need to see more of said and zamperini before deciding whether they are worth it (though anyone is better than garcia at this point lol)

Nerepis
03-15-2010, 09:08 PM

More like Survivor, "Who's going to be voted off the island this week?"

Pachuco
03-15-2010, 09:09 PM
OUT:

Fellinga
Guevara
Vitti
Robbo
Serioux
Gerba?

IN:

Peterson
Harden

Very nice!!!

Dude, how could you forget

IN:
3rd Round Pick
3rd Round Pick

I mean, this makes all the difference in the world. We're going to win the cup. They even have the 3rd round picks as big time news on torontofc.ca.

WE HAVEN'T SIGNED A PLAYER WE'VE PICKED IN THE 3RD ROUND YET!!!

Nuvinho
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
More like Survivor, "Who's going to be voted off the island this week?"

With a count of 12 to 1 (since that's how many healthy bodies we have left).......Garcia you are voted off the island.

Pachuco
03-15-2010, 09:11 PM
John, that is not what I am asking. I understand that is the reason given for sending him home, my question is what are they trying to accomplish by doing this? What exactly is their intent by sending him home?
Not sure if you got an answer to this or not but without this piece of the puzzle it is all very confusing.
With respect.

Much agreed that this is the real question. We all know he's gone home. Now we all want an explanation as to how that's supposed to help the team, Gerba himself, the management, the new grass ;)

anto7
03-15-2010, 09:12 PM
With a count of 12 to 1 (since that's how many healthy bodies we have left).......Garcia you are voted off the island.
Bastard has probably got the hidden immunity idol stuffed up his arse !

druid
03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
I still expect to see Dickov in a TFC shirt as well.

Sadly, he'd fit in with a few of our striking purchases.

Nerepis
03-15-2010, 09:21 PM

Garcia will not be voted off the island. I have him in my office pool to win the million, no skills and brings nothing to the tribe, BUT he plays a great social game. :rolleyes:

ag futbol
03-15-2010, 09:28 PM
This is the most rediculous comment I think I have ever heard. We've played 3 or 4 pre-season games! How does it make sense to send a player home for not playing well for a spell? There is definitely something else going on. That comment makes no sense whatsoever.
Agreed completely.

As someone else pointed out, you're sending a guy home who "worked hard" but is on a guaranteed deal? So now what, we pay half that 175k and he goes to San Jose to play for Yallop?

This club doesn't even wait two days to come out with more dumbfounding moves.

Blizzard
03-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Agreed completely.

As someone else pointed out, you're sending a guy home who "worked hard" but is on a guaranteed deal? So now what, we pay half that 175k and he goes to San Jose to play for Yallop?

This club doesn't even wait two days to come out with more dumbfounding moves.

Preki at work. I'm starting to understand why so many Chivas fans were happy to see him go.

sully
03-15-2010, 09:45 PM
I still expect to see Dickov in a TFC shirt as well.

sadly I think yer right. Mo will bring in a 37 year old, who takes advantage of holidays with TFC in the winter, and couldn't give a crap about Toronto or he'd be here already, and he'll come in the middle of our season for a final paycheque after a long career..

johnmolinaro
03-15-2010, 09:47 PM
With respect.

I didn't really get an answer to that, but my sense is that in doing this they wanted to send Gerba a message that he has to do better.
john

Blizzard
03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
sadly I think yer right. Mo will bring in a 37 year old, who takes advantage of holidays with TFC in the winter, and couldn't give a crap about Toronto or he'd be here already, and he'll come in the middle of our season for a final paycheque after a long career..

Possibly and while this may not be saying much, everything I've heard about his brief game time with us this spring says he was the best red on the field and that includes JDG!

I think he still has something to offer us.

sully
03-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Possibly and while this may not be saying much, everything I've heard about his brief game time with us this spring says he was the best red on the field and that includes JDG!

I'm sure you're probably right. But for me it's as, or even more, important that a player want to be here. And to be building a team well into the season is just irritating to me..

ag futbol
03-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Preki at work. I'm starting to understand why so many Chivas fans were happy to see him go.
Well i'm half way on this. I don't know if Preki is right or wrong, but if this is the way he wants to run his team i think he should be given the opportunity. We should have considered this type of thing before we hired him as our coach though.

The moves we made a year ago compared to now... shocking lack of foresight.

rocker
03-15-2010, 10:12 PM
it's not surprising to see a new coach dump players. DC United did that too.. but usually it's a completely new regime, which makes this unusual, considering Preki is basically ending or making problems for deals Mo signed recently.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Well i'm half way on this. I don't know if Preki is right or wrong, but if this is the way he wants to run his team i think he should be given the opportunity. We should have considered this type of thing before we hired him as our coach though.

The moves we made a year ago compared to now... shocking lack of foresight.

yeah i kinda agree, especially when we dont have any immediate replacements, thats worrisome when the squad is particularly lacking...

KezmanCCCC
03-15-2010, 10:53 PM
I am actually looking forward to seeing what Gerba will bring to the squad this season... he was dissapointing at best last season, especially after making eveyone excited with his preformance at the gold cup... and then lacking everything once he joined TFC.... anyways i might be one of the few people here that hopes he stays

Big Bruva
03-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Ya the whole thing just reminds me of my beloved Liverpool letting important/quality pieces go and replacing them with lower quality or not replacing them at all.

Makes no sense to me unless there is a plan but what plan could that be with the season set to start soon if all goes to plan and you have a team that is still tryna get to know each other.

OUT:

Fellinga
Guevara
Vitti
Robbo
Serioux
Gerba?

IN:

Peterson
Harden

Very nice!!!

DOMIN8R
03-16-2010, 04:00 AM
I didn't really get an answer to that, but my sense is that in doing this they wanted to send Gerba a message that he has to do better.
john

Makes sense. Just as Ensco and few others see it. It's an attempt to motivate a change in behaviour when other, more traditional, methods have failed. Athletes need to play to be considered relevant.

Stouffville_RPB
03-16-2010, 06:34 AM
I don't know about Ali Gerba, he is supposed to be a goal poacher, pick up the scraps and score

We don't get nearly enough quality chances for there to be any poaching oppurtunities. Just the wrong player for us.

Really a team has not been built rather it is just a mash of guys thrown together.

CretanBull
03-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Ya the whole thing just reminds me of my beloved Liverpool letting important/quality pieces go and replacing them with lower quality or not replacing them at all.

Makes no sense to me unless there is a plan but what plan could that be with the season set to start soon if all goes to plan and you have a team that is still tryna get to know each other.

That's probably the first and last time our team will ever be compared to Liverpool in any kind of way lol

Wouldn't it be nice to walk into training camp with 90% of the roster settled, just invite a few trialists in to see if they can make an impact and spend the whole preseason coming together as a team and building chemistry?

The season starts in less than a couple of weeks and we don't even know who's going to be playing for us or where on the pitch the guys that we have will be playing.

Oldtimer
03-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Some people here need to calm down a little.

I agree with Rudi, this is 100% Preki, nothing to do with Mo.

We knew when Preki was coming in that he is a disciplinarian. If Gerba gave anything less than 100% (and it sounded like he didn't), Preki would punish him. This will strike fear into the hearts of the other players, who are used to "the fans love us, we don't need to work too hard" mentality. This is the new regime, and Gerba's been made the example. I expect the players to work really hard on Wednesday and get the win. I'm 100% behind this.

Also, as far as changes on the team, we have a couple of good-looking trialists. The cupboard is not bare. Again, Preki will be looking at attitude, not just ability.

This is great news. In the past, TFC has been built in Football Manager fantasy team style with no regard to how the pieces fit together. Everyone knows that it's not just individual ability that counts, it's team chemistry. Preki is all about team chemistry. (For an example of a team that just chock-filled with great players, but poor chemistry, just look at Real Madrid, either currently, or in the Galacticos era). Seeing Preki take the reigns like this gives me some hope. Certainly, after the last Saturday, the team needed a boot on the backside to get going and get themselves in order.

Also, people are acting shocked that a new coach is actually making changes. Everyone, this is normal. Remember that this is the first opportunity that Preki has had to really assess his squad. I'd rather have a short-squad that plays for each other than a full squad of lazy players.

TorontoBlades
03-16-2010, 07:28 AM
He's making guaranteed money this year, so I think TFC is sending a message that he's available for a natural 4th rounder. We're going to own that round in the draft next year

brad
03-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Folks, I'm as critical of Mo as most (if not more), but stop for second and think about Gerba here. Despite a decent scoring rate the guy has jumped from club to club - 14 in 9 years. Rumors abound time and time again that it's due to laziness, he doesn't apply himself in training, and has a poor attitude.

Maybe there was good reason to send him packing.

brad
03-16-2010, 07:36 AM

Dickov signed with Leeds - he's not coming.

CretanBull
03-16-2010, 07:38 AM
He's signed with Leeds until the end of this FL1 season, and could come over in the summer.

KRO
03-16-2010, 07:39 AM
I'd rather have a short-squad that plays for each other than a full squad of lazy players.

I agree completely. I will put up with a lot if I can see a player working hard (Barrett) but Gerba was bone idle.

My opinion of Preki has risen with this move. I was concerned about his less than honest quotes related to Robbo's departure but if he is prepared to sit down a player who's contract they can't get rid of then maybe he is the right man for this job.

I think it will take a few weeks of the season for the team to take shape but at least we know that the players will work hard or they'll be out.

drewski
03-16-2010, 07:42 AM
gonna go with brad and OldTimer here and say this one isn't on Mo, its Preki's move and its not necessarily a bad move.

Sometime a move like this is the kick in the pants a player needs.

anto7
03-16-2010, 07:57 AM
I agree completely. I will put up with a lot if I can see a player working hard (Barrett) but Gerba was bone idle.

My opinion of Preki has risen with this move. I was concerned about his less than honest quotes related to Robbo's departure but if he is prepared to sit down a player who's contract they can't get rid of then maybe he is the right man for this job.

I think it will take a few weeks of the season for the team to take shape but at least we know that the players will work hard or they'll be out.
Just had a thought after reading this post. Perhaps they made this move to take the heat off the Robinson fiasco?(just kidding) although I must say I did forget about that particular mess for a few hours whilst we were all shaking our heads at this latest incident.

Boris
03-16-2010, 07:58 AM
we all sort of knew that preki was that hard ass who demanded the best from his players. It should be no shock to us who thought gerba was lazy that something like this would happen

anto7
03-16-2010, 07:59 AM
john
If that is the case I'm down with that.
Thanks John

Section 117
03-16-2010, 08:10 AM
He was sent home cause he is FAT period no other reason....

Shaughno
03-16-2010, 08:11 AM
LOL he's not fat though. He's big no doubt, but physically it seems Ali is in probably the best shape of his career right now.

ManUtd4ever
03-16-2010, 08:12 AM

We knew when Preki was coming in that he is a disciplinarian. If Gerba gave anything less than 100% (and it sounded like he didn't), Preki would punish him. This will strike fear into the hearts of the other players, who are used to "the fans love us, we don't need to work too hard" mentality. This is the new regime, and Gerba's been made the example. I expect the players to work really hard on Wednesday and get the win. I'm 100% behind this.

Also, as far as changes on the team, we have a couple of good-looking trialists. The cupboard is not bare. Again, Preki will be looking at attitude, not just ability.

This is great news. In the past, TFC has been built in Football Manager fantasy team style with no regard to how the pieces fit together. Everyone knows that it's not just individual ability that counts, it's team chemistry. Preki is all about team chemistry. (For an example of a team that just chock-filled with great players, but poor chemistry, just look at Real Madrid, either currently, or in the Galacticos era). Seeing Preki take the reigns like this gives me some hope. Certainly, after the last Saturday, the team needed a boot on the backside to get going and get themselves in order.

Also, people are acting shocked that a new coach is actually making changes. Everyone, this is normal. Remember that this is the first opportunity that Preki has had to really assess his squad. I'd rather have a short-squad that plays for each other than a full squad of lazy players.

Agreed. Last year there were many supporters calling for a disciplinarian type of coach in contrast to the complacent style of Cummins in order to motivate the team to overachieve on the pitch. Preki has made his point and I hope the rest of the players respond accordingly...

bgnewf
03-16-2010, 08:27 AM
He's signed with Leeds until the end of this FL1 season, and could come over in the summer.

With due respect mate, by the time Dickov allegedly comes over we may be so far behind the eight ball that it may be too little too late. Where are our goals going to come from???

Unless yet another revolving striker comes in soon, and if Gerba is not part of the plan, then we are reliant on OBW and Chad Barrett for our goals. Both of them may surprise this season, and for our sake lets hope that they do surprise, but that is definitely not guaranteed to happen. And we have not had much success with mid season signings in the past (Laurent Robert anyone???).

I personally think that Dickov has the talent to be an ideal striker in a league like MLS, but relying on the appearance of a guy that has already turned us down twice as a saviour that may only make an appearance halfway into our season is another in the long line of gambles TFC has made. It may come right but we have had next to no luck with this kind of move in the past three seasons.

spark
03-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Ask Paul James his thoughts on Gerba - which I'm sure we'll see a column in the next few days. His reputation is cemented, he doesn't train hard and it sets a bad example. I'm sure many people knew this already - the disappointing thing is clearly there was no due diligence done on this move (obviously!).

Auzzy
03-16-2010, 08:36 AM
I totally agree with Oldtimer & some of the others above. We need to calm down a bit. Sure, part of the problem is likely that Mo is a douche. We're dealing with a couple of over-priced & underperforming contracts left over from previous years, all amounting to a bunch of spare parts that don't yet add up to a team.

But let's try to see some of the positives. We've seen bold player moves, with Gerba being sent home the latest example. We have confirmation from both the player & management side that Preki has a great amount of say, not only in game-day roster selection, but in which players to keep & which to drop. Remember how many people were worried that Mo would never relinquish control over anything, that the new coach would be Mo's "yes man" & puppet? We are seeing that is not the case. These player moves were most definitely not made to appease Mo or to make him look good. In fact, overall they make Mo look pretty bad. In the short run, that's bad for the team as well, as we're having to eat salary, getting low draft picks in return etc etc.

However, in the long run it hopefully means we're turning the corner in terms of player selection & management. Remember also the shit storm of the past season(s), with confirmed locker-room discord, rampant inconsistency on the field, the inability to close out games, and especially the final disaster in the swamps of New Jersey. Many fans were calling for a tough approach in the new season. Obviously that is happening.

I also can't see another "scandal" in what Mo said to John Molinaro. Rumours came up that Gerba was no longer with the team, and they responded to this when asked by a reporter. If they're sending Gerba home because they're not happy with his performance, that's all I need to know. This is also a personnel (i.e., employer/employee) matter, and I don't need to know all the gory details of who/what/when/where/why and how.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Auzzy makes some very good points

Beach_Red
03-16-2010, 08:46 AM

This looks to be very true. And also other players have a mentality that, "The fans hate me no matter what, so why bother."

A lot of fans asked for Gerba, they asked for JDG, they demanded DeRo - as far as MLSE is concerned, they are giving the fans what they want.

CretanBull
03-16-2010, 08:49 AM
With due respect mate, by the time Dickov allegedly comes over we may be so far behind the eight ball that it may be too little too late. Where are our goals going to come from???

The post that I was responding to said "he's not coming"...I didn't mean to argue for or against the idea, I was just pointing out that it could still happen ;)

Stugatzo
03-16-2010, 08:51 AM
This looks to be very true. And also other players have a mentality that, "The fans hate me no matter what, so why bother."

A lot of fans asked for Gerba, they asked for JDG, they demanded DeRo - as far as MLSE is concerned, they are giving the fans what they want.

Who's your source on THAT gem???

MG42
03-16-2010, 08:53 AM
This whole thing doesn't make sense to me...my take is that Gerba has been dealt, will somehow end up on the Impact, and score a hat trick against us in the NCC :lol:

Gixmo
03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
You guys will all see the vision here shortly. Gerba was not giving 100% effort

Preki will be signing myself as a striker... I will deliver results. I will celebrate my first goal with a windmill, before leaping with gazelle-esque grace into the southend. It will be a celebration. I'll even show Barrett how to hit the net. Sidefoot lad, side foot!!!

... and then I will wake up

Let's not all race to hit the Panic Button. Preki is a coach who will tolerate no bullshit. He's simply doing his job. Let him do his job.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Who's your source on THAT gem???

there are a ton of threads around here wanting him to come

Boris
03-16-2010, 09:07 AM
You guys will all see the vision here shortly. Gerba was not giving 100% effort

Preki will be signing myself as a striker... I will deliver results. I will celebrate my first goal with a windmill, before leaping with gazelle-esque grace into the southend. It will be a celebration. I'll even show Barrett how to hit the net. Sidefoot lad, side foot!!!

... and then I will wake up

Let's not all race to hit the Panic Button. Preki is a coach who will tolerate no bullshit. He's simply doing his job. Let him do his job.

people are used to seeign that happy go lucky easy going coach here in Toronto. For once we have a hard ass who is determined to bring the results by any means necessary.

My only concern is that our depleted roster cannot handle guys being sent home and sitting on their guaranteed contracts. At that point though, whose fault is it..... *sigh*

menefreghista
03-16-2010, 09:11 AM
We need to calm down a bit.

You know what I hate, it seems like the same shit each season.

Each season we start off with a short-handed roster and we spend the first couple of months of the regular season trying to put a team together.

The difference this year seems to be that we are even further behind than ever before.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we start the season with 20 players on our roster.

Steve
03-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Wow, interesting move to say the least. I agree with people that this is all Preki, but if it is, Mo has probably lost too much power (woah now, don't kill me yet!).

See, I can see this from Preki's point of view. Send Gerba packing, try to motivate him and the team to do better. The problem is, you just sent home a guaranteed salary with a message to the league that "he's shite!". That's almost 200k against our cap that will likely now be useless. That's where Mo needed to step up. Maybe, instead of sending him home, you ban him from practice. Leak a story about an injury. Sure, people here would be skeptical (as would other teams) but maybe people just assume that he is not getting along with our new coach. Try to shop him around and get something (anything) for him. Also, make him stay down there, alone, in his hotel room. Again, that way you have the ability to either call him back to practice if he says the right things, or move him without other teams being told "he sucks, a lot".

I don't really know what's going on with us anymore. I think Preki's first interviews were telling. He essentially said "don't expect the playoffs this year" and I think he meant it. He saw the roster, saw all the "characters" on it (he hates personalities, would rather have interchangeable players), and decided he needed to rebuild this roster from the ground up. That meant letting go of a lot of dead-weight, including at least three guaranteed contracts (Garcia, Gerba, Robinson). Those three alone made up what, a third of our total cap? And, since Preki had no use for them, he is essentially planning on playing this year with a team with a cap of like 1.6 million.

I think a banner should be made for the first game of the season, with the logo of TFC, the leafs, the marlies, the jays, the argos, and the raptors. Saying "There's always next year!" or "We're rebuilding! We swear!". Good old Toronto, so afraid of success we'll go out of our way to lose (convincingly) to the worst team in the league just to miss the playoffs.

Nuvinho
03-16-2010, 09:15 AM
I know we said on here that Gerba was makign $177K guaranteed money, but for cap purposes its $145K.

Now if you take out how much we are paying Robbo.......we have 18 players under contract, for a total of $2.039M, cap space of $260.6K.

If you subtract Gerba.....17 players under contract....and $405.6K to spend to fill up the roster.

*this does not include any allocation money.

Pachuco
03-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Wow, interesting move to say the least. I agree with people that this is all Preki, but if it is, Mo has probably lost too much power (woah now, don't kill me yet!).

See, I can see this from Preki's point of view. Send Gerba packing, try to motivate him and the team to do better. The problem is, you just sent home a guaranteed salary with a message to the league that "he's shite!". That's almost 200k against our cap that will likely now be useless. That's where Mo needed to step up. Maybe, instead of sending him home, you ban him from practice. Leak a story about an injury. Sure, people here would be skeptical (as would other teams) but maybe people just assume that he is not getting along with our new coach. Try to shop him around and get something (anything) for him. Also, make him stay down there, alone, in his hotel room. Again, that way you have the ability to either call him back to practice if he says the right things, or move him without other teams being told "he sucks, a lot".

I don't really know what's going on with us anymore. I think Preki's first interviews were telling. He essentially said "don't expect the playoffs this year" and I think he meant it. He saw the roster, saw all the "characters" on it (he hates personalities, would rather have interchangeable players), and decided he needed to rebuild this roster from the ground up. That meant letting go of a lot of dead-weight, including at least three guaranteed contracts (Garcia, Gerba, Robinson). Those three alone made up what, a third of our total cap? And, since Preki had no use for them, he is essentially planning on playing this year with a team with a cap of like 1.6 million.

I think a banner should be made for the first game of the season, with the logo of TFC, the leafs, the marlies, the jays, the argos, and the raptors. Saying "There's always next year!" or "We're rebuilding! We swear!". Good old Toronto, so afraid of success we'll go out of our way to lose (convincingly) to the worst team in the league just to miss the playoffs.

I agree with most of your points, except for the fact Garcia and Gerba have NOT been released. If that was true, I'd be jumping for joy. The fact of the matter is they are still on this team, and Garcia is still getting lots of playing time. If you were going to send a message it should have been with Garcia. Unless of course it was about attitude, but Mo tells us it isn't.

CretanBull
03-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Said will probably take up a fair chunk of that $405k, maybe $200k? That doesn't leave much to fill out the roster, because we need potential starters not roster filler.

Said is new to the league, so his salary can (in part) be paid down with allocation money, that helps.

Nuvinho
03-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Said will probably take up a fair chunk of that $405k, maybe $200k? That doesn't leave much to fill out the roster, because we need potential starters not roster filler.

Said is new to the league, so his salary can (in part) be paid down with allocation money, that helps.

Let's assume:

Joesph $45K (sorry but that's how much probably MLS will sign him for or less)
Gargan $55K
Kayizzi $100K
Saric $100K
Zamperini (sp?) $175K
Said $220K

Hopefully Mo, has around $500K in allocation, and we should get all those players signed, and still have Gerba.

Auzzy
03-16-2010, 09:27 AM
You know what I hate, it seems like the same shit each season.

Each season we start off with a short-handed roster and we spend the first couple of months of the regular season trying to put a team together.

The difference this year seems to be that we are even further behind than ever before.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we start the season with 20 players on our roster.

I don't think we should calm down about everything & forever. While making these bold player moves, Preki is also exposing Mo's contract mismanagment. If things go badly because of our depleted roster, Mo will likely be gone at the end of the season, or even earlier. If Preki manages to select some cheap & useful trialists, and makes a team out of our roster, at least we're turning the corner.

One thing I'm sure about: Preki can't turn the team around by being careful & being nice to everyone. Who knows, maybe Gerba gets his act together, and tries hard enough from now on to at least be good enough for the bench & as 2nd half sub for TFC. On the flip side, I wouldn't be surprised if things even get a bit worse -- i.e., I see at least 2-3 other players who don't just screw up, but seem to be almost non-chalant about it. Preki may even want to dump some other players, despite their contracts.

One thing at least is not the same shit as in previous years. We have a coach who has MLS experience as a coach & player, and won't be whining & blaming MLS rules, refs, etc etc. Preki does have to deal with a crap roster & could blame that at least in the first season. However, he also had to deal with a pretty thin roster at Chivas, and he did well enough with that. In addition, he apparently had little management support to make the player moves that he wanted to in Chivas, but still did OK. If Mo & the rest of TFC give him free reign to make the moves that he thinks are right, maybe he can turn the corner a bit quicker.

Steve
03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
I agree with most of your points, except for the fact Garcia and Gerba have NOT been released. If that was true, I'd be jumping for joy. The fact of the matter is they are still on this team, and Garcia is still getting lots of playing time. If you were going to send a message it should have been with Garcia. Unless of course it was about attitude, but Mo tells us it isn't.

I know Gerba hasn't been released, but Preki has essentially sent the message that he wishes he could (and he will be as soon as we can). Garcia is a different story. Maybe Preki has a soft spot for him, more likely Preki knows we need some cover at CB right now, so had to play him in the hope that he somehow gets better. For striker, Preki seems fine with playing one man up, and we have White up there, Barrett as a possibility, and DeRo could even slot in. Essentially, Preki probably thought that we don't need cover up top from someone who seems disinterested and unlikely to score.

brad
03-16-2010, 09:40 AM
It's looking more and more to me that this year is going to be about cleaning up Mo's mess. I'm getting the feeling that we are setting up for a rebuilding year, not a playoff run.

menefreghista
03-16-2010, 09:45 AM
It's looking more and more to me that this year is going to be about cleaning up Mo's mess. I'm getting the feeling that we are setting up for a rebuilding year, not a playoff run.

And lets not forget that every year they add teams to this league, it becomes increasingly harder to make the playoffs. So if you are treading water or falling backwards you are digging yourself an even bigger hole.

Pachuco
03-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Let's assume:

Joesph $45K (sorry but that's how much probably MLS will sign him for or less)
Gargan $55K
Kayizzi $100K
Saric $100K
Zamperini (sp?) $175K
Said $220K

Hopefully Mo, has around $500K in allocation, and we should get all those players signed, and still have Gerba.

I thought you could only pay down UP TO 50% of a player's salary with allocation. Meaning it's not just about Mo getting 500K in allocation money. He has to open up some cap space as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2010, 09:48 AM

also he said money wasnt a big deal, he just wanted to play and prove himself

CretanBull
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
I thought you could only pay down UP TO 50% of a player's salary with allocation. Meaning it's not just about Mo getting 500K in allocation money. He has to open up some cap space as well.

Yeah, that's the way it works...so if a player is given a $200k contract, $100k of that can be paid-down with allocation money, and the other $100k still counts against the cap. Allocation money can't be used like this for all types of contracts, but it can be used for players who are new to the league (all of our trialists).

CretanBull
03-16-2010, 09:54 AM
also he said money wasnt a big deal, he just wanted to play and prove himself

True, but he's moving his family here and he's not going to come here at a cost to himself...I think we can expect him to sign for around $200k (some of that could be paid down with allocation money).

fetajr
03-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Preki was successful with Chivas for a couple of years, with almost a 'no name' roster, leading me to beleive that dumping names like guevara, gerba, robinson, etc, won't have a negative impact on Preki's roster; on the contrary, we'll finally have a team that plays a system and that has a game plan, and anyone who doesn't buy into it is out the door.

remember the good ol' days of booting the ball up the field and wishing for a bounce?...i hope that shit is over.

maninb
03-16-2010, 10:02 AM
there are a ton of threads around here wanting him to come

Absolutely!!! There were MANY MANY people here (you know who you are) who thought Gerba was going to be the second coming of Christ!!! It would be refreshing to see them stand up and take a mea culpa!!!

CretanBull
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Absolutely!!! There were MANY MANY people here (you know who you are) who thought Gerba was going to be the second coming of Christ!!! It would be refreshing to see them stand up and take a mea culpa!!!

Here's my thoughts from June of last year:

I really want to be wrong, but I think - based on comments made on the forums - that a lot of people are going to be let down by Gerba, not because he isn't good but because he won't be the saviour that they expect him to be.

menefreghista
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
There were MANY MANY people here (you know who you are) who thought Gerba was going to be the second coming of Christ!!! !

Over-exaggerate much?

Roogsy
03-16-2010, 10:07 AM
I saw maybe a couple of posters who did want Ali Gerba here, but frankly I am also tired of people who bring up the "many" argument every time someone denies the fans demanded someone or something. I have only seen a true consensus on a few issues. 1) Grass. 2) DP and 3) Mo must go.

Everything else, claims of "many" people arguing for or again usually fall flat. The truth usually lies in the fact that there is usually a small group of vocal supporters for one player or another.

And not that it's the case here, but I get even more upset when the broad brush is used to paint the group as a whole, like "Red Patch Boys wanted Julian De Guzman" for example. There were people for, and people against...but when trying to prove a point, one side is usually forgotten or ignored.

I recall some discussions about Ali Gerba, but I don't recall there being an overwhelming demand from the supporters for him. To imply otherwise is simply not true.

menefreghista
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
I recall some discussions about Ali Gerba, but I don't recall there being an overwhelming demand from the supporters for him. To imply otherwise is simply not true.

The way this team has been traditionally run, we are usually happy to obtain any player who can breath.

We are constantly undermanned. So if you are going to tell me we are adding players, I'm probably going to think its a good idea.

Let's not turn that into Gerba being our savior. Most of us were just happy to add a striker to the mix.

maninb
03-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Just go back to last summer....there were MANY people (I counted 15+) calling to sign Gerba..and in July after he was signed, it was greeted FAVOURABLY by almost everyone posting...I'm no fan of Mo, but for you to call for him to sign somebody, then when he does and the guy sucks, you're a hypocrite to critisize him for it...

Auzzy
03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I can't remember what I said about Gerba before he was signed. However, he has been a very consistent goal scorer for the CMNT. It makes sense that some people would be excited about signing Gerba, when your other options included Barrett, Vitti, OBW not yet fully recovered, etc. YOU WOULD THINK the TFC coaches could watch the CMNT game tapes, see when & how Gerba has been successful, and play him in a similar role.

I don't know if our previous coaches had that ability though. Plus, the other players and the playing system that have made Gerba successful for the national team, obviously don't exist at TFC. Finally, add a little good luck for Gerba with the CMNT, and a little bad luck with Toronto...

rocker
03-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Preki was successful with Chivas for a couple of years, with almost a 'no name' roster, leading me to beleive that dumping names like guevara, gerba, robinson, etc, won't have a negative impact on Preki's roster; on the contrary, we'll finally have a team that plays a system and that has a game plan, and anyone who doesn't buy into it is out the door.

remember the good ol' days of booting the ball up the field and wishing for a bounce?...i hope that shit is over.

It's all part of Preki's hard ass style.

Didn't Cronin complain, in a way, that TFC had lacked drive and competition? So Gerba gets sent home for something like that now, exactly what Cronin would want.

Preki is basically saying "Look, I don't care if my buddy MoJo gave you a sweet ass guaranteed deal and overpaid for you, if you don't play hard and follow my system, you can sit on your ass all season and I'll use players who want to be here."

That's a change from the "I'm yer buddy" approach of Cummins and Carver.

Preki's approach is tough to do in a capped league and takes guts.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Not to be contrarian and Im not saying theres an overwhelming amount of people calling for gerba to be signed and claiming he will do great things but evidence does suggest a good many people wanted to see him on this team and expected great things

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14486
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14529
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15702
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15607
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15061
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14821

Gixmo
03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Is no one excited to see me score? Seriously, I'll dedicate my celebration to you!!!

Ali will either shape up, Or ship out.. It's Black & White.. No need for a gray area my friends!

ManUtd4ever
03-16-2010, 10:33 AM
I for one will be the first person to admit that I was in favour of the Gerba signing last year because of his track record with the CMNT. For various reasons already mentioned, it just hasn't worked out and now he is being used as an example by Preki to reiterate the work ethic he demands of his players...

Roogsy
03-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Not to be contrarian and Im not saying theres an overwhelming amount of people calling for gerba to be signed and claiming he will do great things but evidence does suggest a good many people wanted to see him on this team and expected great things

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14486
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14529
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15702
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15607
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=15061
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14821

I don't wish to be contrarian either Oss...but seriously did you READ those threads? Most of them are only discussions about possible, imminent and then confirmed signings. There wasn't any overwhelming sense that he was the saviour of this team...nor have you proven that there was a demand for him prior to the signing. In my opinion, this one is all Mo. ANd frankly, I don't consider Ali Gerba a bust either, I don't think he's been given a chance yet, at least not on the pitch. I don't know what his training dedication is like. But I do know Barrett has been given TWO SEASONS and Gerba has been given 5 games and STILL has a better scoring ration than Barrett anyways.

Auzzy
03-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Oh, and by the way, Mo gets paid a bit for his job. We don't. It's really his job to find players that will help our team. If he knew what he was doing, nobody would give a shit about what the fans are saying.

Sure, maybe some of us were happy when Gerba was signed. Maybe TFC management even paid attention to the favourable views from the fans. Could they maybe listen to the other things the fans are requesting, like a solid, proven centre back, and a couple of decent wingers? If they could get that done, it wouldn't matter much if Gerba was playing, or sitting on the bench, or getting sent back to Toronto every week.

Darlofletch
03-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Alright, if you must, I'll say i was quite happy to see him coming here, we've always needed a goalscorer, and I thought he could be it. Hasn't really worked out that way yet.

I think asking for a mea culpa is a bit much, no-one here actually signed him, without searching for threads, just going by memory, I'd say it was generally seen as a positive thing, probably more than 50% of people were happy about it.

Boondaddy
03-16-2010, 10:43 AM

It means that Gerba is fuckin the dog on and off the pitch...I know the timing of this punishment is poor given the other shit that's gone on but kudos to Preki for having the balls to not put up with coasters.

He is the new Private Pyle:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/nastrodamus/FullMetalJacket-Obstacle.jpg