PDA

View Full Version : TFC vs Charleston Post Game Thread

Yohan
03-13-2010, 09:23 PM
0-0... disappointing display against a well organized, but still USL Charleston side

The Good: JDG bossing the midfield.
The Bad: lack of flair up front and slow to react on opposition counter attacks
The Ugly: Garcia. Gerba and Wynne's first touch

Batman
03-13-2010, 09:25 PM
JDG looked good. Said looked pretty good too.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Zamperini looked good. Not sure why TFC played Said out of position. I hope the management brings in another forward or come to terms with the fact we don't have anyone capable of playing as a lone striker.

flambe
03-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Disappointing doesn't cut it with me I'm afraid. We have NO attacking presence, and regardless of whether Gabe deserved the first yellow, you DON'T TACKLE LIKE THAT WHEN YOU'RE ALREADY ON A YELLOW.

DeGuz, Cronin played well, but it seems no-one has any IQ or skill to capitalise on them.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel this season is going to be long and shameful.......AGAIN

J .
03-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I think the group hate on Garcia is misplaced. Attakora and Harden will be a solid tandem, Zamperini looked decent in my first view of him.

justin
03-13-2010, 09:28 PM
zamperini, said both impressed me, as did jdg, cronin.

wynne is terrible, gerba was useless, gala had good and bad but mostly bad. overall offensively we were terrible and ineffective.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-13-2010, 09:29 PM
We Played Pooh Plain And Simple:)

TFCREDNWHITE
03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Do you remember when Laurent Robert would get so frustrated with the LACK of football IQ on the pitch!?.........

Well my friends, we have numerous positions where football IQ doesn't mean squat.....and just watch this season as DeRo, DeGuzman and Said get SOOOO frustrated!

Yohan
03-13-2010, 09:34 PM
thoughts on ind players

Frei: didn't have much to do but looked confident coming out for crosses which was lacking last season
Wynne: wasn't so bad defensively, but horrid first touches. totally outclassed by Attakora at RB now
Garcia; gets pwned by USL players. gets bossed around by more physical players. srsly. what does he do well that's worth him playing entire 90 mins?
Harden: decent effort. he's a keeper as utility player
Brennan: made few mistakes but had a decent game defensively. looks motivated to play
Sanyang: didn't really had to do much as JDG and Cronin bossed midfield, didn't look sharp when he had the ball
Cronin: poised and composed with the ball, but seems to lack imagination when it comes to passing it up field. crosses were pretty good
JDG: best player on pitch by far. doesn't panic under pressure. needs more offensive minded midfielder to get the best out of his ball holding skills
Ibrahim: weak physical stature got exposed again. tried to be too fancy and got caught out. disappointing performance
Gala: was most bright player offensively in first half. not afraid of taking on player one on one. i think he's going to have a good role this season. terrible tackle for 2nd yellow and comes out smiling about it. wtf. grow up
Gerba: terrible game. lacked movement off the ball and terrible first touches leading to lost chances
Attakora: another solid game. looks not to missed a step from last season
Zamperoni: seemed comfortable with ball on defence. positionally got caught out few times, but showed signs that he can be asset on defence with more playing time with defensive partner
Said: for a defender has wicked cross. played DM and looked a bit lost, plus first game with team. showed signs of skill
DeRo: not a good game. lost possession cheaply few times
White: other than one close shot, hustles a lot, but with lack of quality supply, didn't end up making too much impact on the game

DangerRed
03-13-2010, 09:34 PM
JDG, Said and DeRo looked good. I think we should sign this Zamperini cat. He's got good reach and good IQ from what little i saw.

Yohan
03-13-2010, 09:35 PM
would like to see Attakora-Said-Zamperoni-Brennan on defence and see how that works out

jloome
03-13-2010, 09:35 PM
The brutal performances tonight were from Wynne, Ibrahim and Gerba. They all look distracted and lacking both decent movement and touch.

DeGuzman looked good for most of the time; he pushed the issue a bit too much a couple of times in the second half and got caught out but was generally solid.

Said wasn't really out of position; he played midfielder when he was younger, thus the comfort level. Zamperini I vaguely recalls as being a real lightweight at Portsmouth but he looked pretty composed tonight. One bad pass.

Not much cohesion tonight, but I think this goes down as another tester, in terms of the formation choice, subs etc. Preki's still sussing things out.

Gala was good in the first half, pretty awful in the second. But everyone started keying on DeRo, which sort of took him out of the game. OB had a few nice moves into space and almost beat his defender on the inside shoulder once, but again, didnj't show much.

Right now, even with the general level of competency from most of the players, we look like a last-place club. No offensive movement or awareness yet, really.

justin
03-13-2010, 09:39 PM
would like to see Attakora-Said-Zamperoni-Brennan on defence and see how that works out

strongly agree

TFCREDNWHITE
03-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Zamperini has been playing Italian serie C1/2 and 3....i mean really, who cares!?? I have family who can play in Serie C3 with their eyes closed....I really don;t care for the guy....he's a nobody and his lack of skill will eventually come shining through....He is not the answer to our problems....

tfc
03-13-2010, 09:47 PM
very strongly agree with that back line. Both Said and Zamperini looked significantly above MLS quality, even playing out of position for Said.

With those two bossing CB we (hopefully) will have solved our #1 squad issue from last year.

Moving on to offense though... the only players looking forward were dero, white, and gala. that is scary.

justin
Zamperini has been playing Italian serie C1/2 and 3....i mean really, who cares!?? I have family who can play in Serie C3 with their eyes closed....I really don;t care for the guy....he's a nobody and his lack of skill will eventually come shining through....He is not the answer to our problems....

it's taken him 45 minutes to show me he's better than garcia.

KRO
I'm not a Garcia fan but I don't think he had a bad game tonight. Gerba was "a tub of lard' as usual and Ibrahim and Wynne were brutal. Zamperini and Said looked useful and I would like to see more of them.
We've got a lot of work to do in the next two weeks.

T.O TILL I DIE
03-13-2010, 09:48 PM

harshh much:O

Yohan
03-13-2010, 09:49 PM
lack of skill doesn't go through lazio, roma and west ham academy...

he may be a mental case or lacks determination, but from what we saw today, his ball skills are pretty good

TFCREDNWHITE
03-13-2010, 09:54 PM
it's taken him 45 minutes to show me he's better than garcia.

Oh don't get me wrong, he probably is better then Garcia....45 min surely isn't enough to gauge that yet, but i would ship both of them out...

I don't know about you guys, but i want a Playoff contender, I want a Shield contender, I want a Championship contender....I don't want to be humiliated in CONCACAF Champions League.....

Yohan
03-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, he probably is better then Garcia....45 min surely isn't enough to gauge that yet, but i would ship both of them out...

I don't know about you guys, but i want a Playoff contender, I want a Shield contender, I want a Championship contender....I don't want to be humiliated in CONCACAF Champions League.....
i hate to break it to you, but i think this year is more of a rebuilding year

TFC Cityboy
03-13-2010, 10:00 PM
yep- and completely clueless in the final third as usual

Pigfynn
03-13-2010, 10:09 PM
It honestly looks like we get afraid when we get close to the net.

Mikey
03-13-2010, 10:22 PM

LOL! Rebuild what?? :picard:

TFCREDNWHITE
03-13-2010, 10:23 PM
so I guess year 5 through 10 will also be rebuilding years.....*sigh*....

King Tut
03-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Said wasn't really out of position; he played midfielder when he was younger, thus the comfort level.

Exactly. It's not his preferred position, but he can play on the wings if he has to. He's a decent defensive midfielder and I wouldn't be surprised if we try him in that position next match as well. I've even seen him playing as a striker a few games for Ahly when they had a shortage of strikers and he wasn't bad either. He's mobile and can play almost anywhere.

He played as much in midfield as he did in defense throughout his career.

Brooker
03-13-2010, 10:55 PM

you've seen him play 1 preseason game and you dump on him like that?

such a laugh.

Lucky Strike
03-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Garcia; gets pwned by USL players. gets bossed around by more physical players. srsly. what does he do well that's worth him playing entire 90 mins?

Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't been investigated by the authorities on match fixing. That's the only reason I can think to play Garcia - if someone has a really large bet against us and we want him to get paid.

billyfly
03-13-2010, 11:30 PM
No sugarcoating. We look like we've looked before. Based on that = no playoffs.

jazzy
03-13-2010, 11:35 PM
i hate to break it to you, but i think this year is m ore of a rebuilding year

True but next year it starts all over again, or better still we stay the same boringly mediocre and Mo spins it to MLSE that it's got a future and is rewarded with another 5 year plan...and ticket prices keep increasing due to the greatest fans in the world.....

the-lower-eastsider
03-13-2010, 11:44 PM
True but next year it starts all over again, or better still we stay the same boringly mediocre and Mo spins it to MLSE that it's got a future and is rewarded with another 5 year plan...and ticket prices keep increasing due to the greatest fans in the world.....
this is soo true it makes me sick to my stomach. sadly this is likely whats in store for us. i hope i'm wrong but it wouldnt surprise me. long season comin up i'm afraid...

the-lower-eastsider
03-14-2010, 12:02 AM
now that we all agree it was a piss poor performance on the pitch, on a completely different side note, did some or any of our road warriors get any airtime during the live feed? any banners or two-sticks featured?

canadian_bhoy
03-14-2010, 12:16 AM
now that we all agree it was a piss poor performance on the pitch, on a completely different side note, did some or any of our road warriors get any airtime during the live feed? any banners or two-sticks featured?

Good shot of the RW's before the match. Pretty kick ass "Forever Red" banner covering the top of the section. Looked big and awsome.

Gerba sucks.

the-lower-eastsider
03-14-2010, 12:41 AM
the team sucked. but i bet the supporters didnt.

Auzzy
03-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah Gerba was pretty bad. However, more than that, why the HELL do they think they can play him as a lone striker? Gerba has often played well for the CMNT, but NEVER as a lone target man. Combine him with two young, small, and weak wingers (when Ibbe & Gala came up out of MF, and drifted into the middle to support in attack on the opposite side of play). That's a guaranteed recipe for absolutely NOTHING to happen up front.

I was going to mention, they've got a guy on their coaching staff who could probably still do a better job as a lone target man, but that would be... :deadhorse:

LOL re the comment about Garcia. Indeed, only sensible reason for him to be playing 90 minutes (or at all) is match fixing. Note that Garcia didn't look so bad in the 2nd half, but that had more to do with who he was paired with, and the lack of a Charleston attacking threat, than his own abilities. An MLS team with two fast forwards, or an overlapping fast AM, would of course expose Garcia in an instant. My only HOPE for Garcia to be played so much in the preseason: perhaps Preki still sees this as an extended trial for Garcia? As a veteran & old team mate, perhaps Preki (& Mo) are OK with giving him lots of time to prove himself -- or not. If he continues with bloopers like during the 1st half, hopefully Garcia will be the next salary dump, or at least nailed to the bench? Oh please, let that be the case.

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Yeah Gerba was pretty bad. However, more than that, why the HELL do they think they can play him as a lone striker? Gerba has often played well for the CMNT, but NEVER as a lone target man. Combine him with two young, small, and weak wingers (when Ibbe & Gala came up out of MF, and drifted into the middle to support in attack on the opposite side of play). That's a guaranteed recipe for absolutely NOTHING to happen up front.

I cannot agree more and I can't understand why management can't see this. You have small players who play big (Tim Cahil, Simeon Jackson) and you have big who play small - GERBA. Why not just play him with White?

ag futbol
03-14-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't think skill is the word you're looking for, it's potential. Potential that in some cases never gets realized or fades away. Just because some big clubs saw something in you once doesn't mean you are still have it today or can do the job. I think we've seen that a few times over around here. Still, it's not much of a stretch to assume he could be useful.

I don't know about if this is just some fucked up pre-season experimentation, but if Garcia is starting at CB we will be roasted at every turn. Maybe this is Preki's way of making sure Mo Johnston gets replaced?

It's hard to express how disapointed I am at how this is playing out. At least Mo Johnston is getting roasted in the media at every turn. Craig Forest and Gerry Dobson basically called him out yesterday for cap mis-management.

koryo
03-14-2010, 09:14 AM
When they ran play through JDG in the mid, they didn't look half bad. But it's the same old story: nothing in the shop window and no goods in the back.

canadian_bhoy
03-14-2010, 09:26 AM
When they ran play through JDG in the mid, they didn't look half bad. But it's the same old story: nothing in the shop window and no goods in the back.

While I appreciate how tough it must be to put together a solid back line, you'd think in the 4 years he's been here, Mo would have signed at least one defender (or one striker for that matter) that we could look to and say

"well, you D is crap but at least we've got X".

One guy Mo....ONE!!!!

Luanda
03-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Maybe, just maybe, this "obssession" with playing Garcia full time has to do with showing him off to other teams for a possible trade, thus getting rid of a) a useless D-man and b) his huge, unwarranted, and guaranteed contract. Or perhaps this is solely wishful thinking on my part.

Beach_Red
03-14-2010, 09:29 AM

But the next guy should get a longer contract. A big part of TFC's early problems is that although everyone knew it would take a few years to build an expansion team they only offered one year contracts -- that would have eliminated a lot of good candidates who wouldn't have wanted to move their families to another country for so little guarantee.

It also had the effect of the board of directors askig for "incremental improvement" -- if the team gets more points, the GM gets another year (or maybe two), but always in such small steps that there actually is no plan (no one ever said, "5 year plan," they just said it would take five years starting from scratch to be a real contender).

This team is performing exactly as that corporate management style allows - there are no surprises here.

Yohan
03-14-2010, 09:29 AM
While I appreciate how tough it must be to put together a solid back line, you'd think in the 4 years he's been here, Mo would have signed at least one defender (or one striker for that matter) that we could look to and say

One guy Mo....ONE!!!!
uhm. attakora?

canadian_bhoy
03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Maybe, just maybe, this "obssession" with playing Garcia full time has to do with showing him off to other teams for a possible trade, thus getting rid of a) a useless D-man and b) his huge, unwarranted, and guaranteed contract. Or perhaps this is solely wishful thinking on my part.

If TFC is trying to make Gerba look appealing to other teams, they may want to play him less instead of more.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images/fat-albert.jpg

Parkdale
03-14-2010, 09:33 AM

One guy Mo....ONE!!!!

this is going to sound sad...

but remember the glory days of Tyrone Marshall and Marco Velez?

i know, I know.

koryo
03-14-2010, 09:49 AM
this is going to sound sad...

but remember the glory days of Tyrone Marshall and Marco Velez?

i know, I know.

Rose-tinted glasses Parky. The back line was horrid then as well.

McBrace
03-14-2010, 09:51 AM

OR it's just Preki allowing him to play his way on to the team.. He can then turn to Mo and say " listen I played him all preseason, he's shit. You signed him you deal with it"

again this could be wishful thinking on my part as well :(

JonO
03-14-2010, 09:51 AM
LOL! Rebuild what?? :picard:
The team? Right now we are in the position we are in because of Mo's 5 year plan and guaranteed contracts to the wrong people. We can't just run out and sign players we want, so we have to wait the year's out and dump 'em. Thus we are rebuilding the team. Pretty easy, no?

I was never "anti-Mo", but he has had his chance and failed to deliver. Time to move on... In the meantime, I just feel that this year is going to be a transition year, from Mo's team to Preki's team...

Chevy
03-14-2010, 09:59 AM
OR it's just Preki allowing him to play his way on to the team.. He can then turn to Mo and say " listen I played him all preseason, he's shit. You signed him you deal with it"

again this could be wishful thinking on my part as well :(

When Gomez is 100% healthly you won't see Garcia much. Preki is giving him a run in the preseason to get him to some level of fitness so he can be used if needed.

Hopefully Mo will also sign Said and Zamperini which will put Garcia further down the depth chart (one hopes).

koryo
03-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Here we are, just about to (hopefully) begin season four, and we have THREE good players.

Johnston has had a little over three years, and we have THREE good players.

Chevy
03-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Nana -- Zamperini -- Said -- Wynne

Assuming we sign Zamperini and Said, that's not a terrible back four by MLS standards.

Gomez, Harden, Brennan, Garcia as subs.

koryo
03-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Nana -- Zamperini -- Said -- Wynne

Assuming we sign Zamperini and Said, that's not a terrible back four by MLS standards.

Gomez, Harden, Brennan, Garcia as subs.

Proof is in the pudding. We don't know if that combination will work. Wynne, BTW, is a liability so you can call that shower above a back three. Point is, it's another band-aid solution to a problem we've had since day one. Zamperini and Said are not the answers.

McBrace
03-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Chevy, I hope your right... I don't even want to see Garcia warming up..put his ass in the press box, he shouldn't be near the pitch on match day.

koryo
03-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Chevy, I hope your right... I don't even want to see Garcia warming up..put his ass in the press box, he shouldn't be near the pitch on match day.

One thing about what Chevy said, it would allow us to move Brennan up to left wing (still as a sub/bench player). Let's face it, he is much more effective there.

ExiledRed
03-14-2010, 10:36 AM

And so begin the pathetic excuses for mediocrity, heartless performances, poor coaching and wasted chances.

We can console ourselves that we're not winning anything this year because we are 'rebuilding'

Not that we ever built anything worth re-building in the first place, but were rebuilding something.

Don't tell me, rebuilding is a slow process and could take a few seasons?

jazzy
03-14-2010, 10:38 AM
uhm. attakora?

True but wasn't he lost in the shuffle till Cummins pushed him and stood by him with confidence ...we could have lost him also.

TFC247
03-14-2010, 10:50 AM
FWIW, it seemed like there were whole lot less longballs played than ever before. Problem is, it just wasn't going anywhere. There were lots of giveaways and bad touches, especially in the final thirds. Is it the lack of personnel or are we that far away from adjusting to Preki?

Chevy
03-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Proof is in the pudding. We don't know if that combination will work. Wynne, BTW, is a liability so you can call that shower above a back three. Point is, it's another band-aid solution to a problem we've had since day one. Zamperini and Said are not the answers.

Absolutely. There are a lot of if's - if they get signed, if they work well together. It's really a crapshoot at this point.

I am still a fan of Wynne though - hopefully Preki can turn him into a true defender this year.

Nuvinho
03-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Maybe we are showcasing Garcia to DCU.......they only have James and Jakovic.

We'll take James back and give them Garcia, and throw in a 3rd and 4th pick ;)

You can teach James positioning, you can't teach Garcia anything.

Pigfynn
03-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Wynne is sooooo frustrating. He is fast, faster than most and yet when he has the opportunity to run at players (this happened a bunch of times last night) he just belts it down the field to no one. Soooo frustrating, because if he ran through players even if he makes it through one time out of 10, it's better than what he's doing now.

J .
03-14-2010, 11:26 AM
wow guys our team wasnt that bad

the sky isn't falling....

we didnt lose anyone who we didnt replace, Robbo is more than replaced by JDG. Harden, Said or Zamperini looked like they will be a good additions to an MLS side, so that replaced Serioux...

Gala showed flashes of becoming a good player, mistakes were made, but thats why we have this tournament.

canadian_bhoy
03-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I just wish for once we could soundly beat a team from USL.

Not hammer them or destroy them or anything.

Just go out and beat them 2 or 3 nil. Have the commentators say something about noticing the difference between an MLS club and a USL one.

That's all I want.

Nuvinho
03-14-2010, 11:32 AM

we didnt lose anyone who we didnt replace, Robbo is more than replaced by JDG. Harden, Said or Zamperini looked like they will be a good additions to an MLS side, so that replaced Serioux...

Gala showed flashes of becoming a good player, mistakes were made, but thats why we have this tournament.

The key is that we only have 1 of those 3 defenders you mentioned under contract.

jloome
03-14-2010, 11:36 AM

THey had three shots on net against a USL team that hasn't even started pre-season training. They were truly fucking awful. Stroking the ball around the mifield for 90 minutes proves a team can hold possession .... against inferior competition

Not much to see positive in this, except the trialists.

Pigfynn
03-14-2010, 11:54 AM
THey had three shots on net against a USL team that hasn't even started pre-season training. They were truly fucking awful. Stroking the ball around the mifield for 90 minutes proves a team can hold possession .... against inferior competition

Not much to see positive in this, except the trialists.

Exactly.

What do you think would have happened last night if we had gone up against Chicago? a little Collins John and McBride last night would have totally destroyed us...totally.

What is Garcia and Harden going to do to stop guys like that??

Nothing, that's what.

J .
03-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Im not saying they were great guys, Im saying the sky isn't falling. I can derive some positives from that match. I'm a fan of possession soccer and I think that the club will be better off able to hold onto the ball.

Ive never defended our offense. It was horrible going forward, do not mistake me saying the sky isn't falling for me saying the sky isn't a cloudy fuckin day.

We need more our of Gerba and a lone striker formation will not work, I loathe that concept and we still are weak on the wings. Gala showed he is on the track to being a respectable talent, but he is not ready yet. Ibrahim, did little for me on the wing, DeRo looks out of place out there too.

Still, I think Zamperini has potential, I'd like to see how he stacks up vs DCU with Harden paired with him.

Ontario Arab
03-14-2010, 12:05 PM
It seems to me, we have been looking for CB,s since season one.........so what gives, why cant we get one.......? Im worried, we are going to be really bad and in turn thats going to piss off JDG and DeRo which wont be pretty.

cochrdoc
03-14-2010, 12:06 PM
I don`t know why Garcia would want to be leading the team into a strike.We can`t beat a div. 2 team or university side in preseason.Sounds like the boys are over paid.This team has not dealt with the problems from last year,a leaky defence and not a consistant goal scorer.

koryo
03-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Yes, they were. Three years of making excuses is more than enough. I'm pig sick of people justifying a team that is still striving to be mediocre.

Chevy
03-14-2010, 12:33 PM

Just go out and beat them 2 or 3 nil. Have the commentators say something about noticing the difference between an MLS club and a USL one.

That's all I want.

True. We should outplay a team like Charleston for at least 80 minutes out of 90. Last night it was more like 50/40 - not acceptable, even for pre-season with trialists on the field.

Sure, once and a while a lower talent squad will get a stretch of luck in their 10 minutes (like Gala against Real Madrid) and draw or even win, but that's sports.

karlosarmenta
03-14-2010, 01:42 PM

That's all I want.

Everyone keeps referring to Charleston Battery as a USL team when in actual fact we could only muster up a nil-nil draw against a USL division 2 team (as of this year they are in the lower division) that had only been together for three days of training prior to the match against Toronto. not bad eh.

Hugh Jazz
03-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah, that was a pretty bad game. The only person that looked a lot better than last year was JDG, which is to be expected.

Preki's making some decisions that have intrigued me so far (last night and the Disney tourny:
- Playing Attakora at RB, not sure if he dislikes Wynne or if its just to make room for all the CBs on trial.
- Playing De Ro wide when he's probably more useful in front of Cronin and JDG.
- Sending out the lone striker.

I'm hoping last night was just an experiment with a different formation, regardless, it should have been a better outcome.

Yohan
03-14-2010, 04:16 PM
And so begin the pathetic excuses for mediocrity, heartless performances, poor coaching and wasted chances.

We can console ourselves that we're not winning anything this year because we are 'rebuilding'

Not that we ever built anything worth re-building in the first place, but were rebuilding something.

Don't tell me, rebuilding is a slow process and could take a few seasons?
Is this a good spot to put "Mo must go" sign? lol

True but wasn't he lost in the shuffle till Cummins pushed him and stood by him with confidence ...we could have lost him also.

Nana and Gala stayed on the team when it was end of season 2 i think a bunch of dev roster spots got shredded. so clearly people in coaching staff recognized nana's potential.
Nana just took whatever chance he got and ran with it. good on the lad

Yohan
03-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Preki's making some decisions that have intrigued me so far (last night and the Disney tourny:
- Playing Attakora at RB, not sure if he dislikes Wynne or if its just to make room for all the CBs on trial.
Nana played RB a lot last yr. Frankly, I'm more comfortable at Nana at RB than Wynne

Davenport
03-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Mo Johnston - what a complete waste of time, space and money he is.
He couldn't build a f****** sand castle.

Kevin
03-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Everyone keeps referring to Charleston Battery as a USL team when in actual fact we could only muster up a nil-nil draw against a USL division 2 team (as of this year they are in the lower division) that had only been together for three days of training prior to the match against Toronto. not bad eh.

Oh the agony! I promised myself to only lurk this thread ... absolutly NO POSTING. However, I'm torn in half from this outing. On one hand, I feel like most of you in that I think this season will be one to forget. On the other hand, my Battery have only returned four players from last years squad and they "held their own" against a MLS squad after just three days of training together. On these boards I will remain "red" and will keep a nasty taste in my mouth until we beat DCU and RSL.

CoachGT
03-14-2010, 09:57 PM
The brutal performances tonight were from Wynne, Ibrahim and Gerba. They all look distracted and lacking both decent movement and touch.

DeGuzman looked good for most of the time; he pushed the issue a bit too much a couple of times in the second half and got caught out but was generally solid.

Said wasn't really out of position; he played midfielder when he was younger, thus the comfort level. Zamperini I vaguely recalls as being a real lightweight at Portsmouth but he looked pretty composed tonight. One bad pass.

Not much cohesion tonight, but I think this goes down as another tester, in terms of the formation choice, subs etc. Preki's still sussing things out.

Gala was good in the first half, pretty awful in the second. But everyone started keying on DeRo, which sort of took him out of the game. OB had a few nice moves into space and almost beat his defender on the inside shoulder once, but again, didnj't show much.

Right now, even with the general level of competency from most of the players, we look like a last-place club. No offensive movement or awareness yet, really.

Excellent analysis, one that I can't find any fault with. I thought Brennan played a decent game, seemed to be in position and showed well all night long. We seemed fairly good defensively all night long, although that could be the level of competition. Keep in mind that they've only been on the pitch for a little more than a week.

Disturbing that we couldn't generate any sustained offence.

Surprised at the way the game was played. We're two weeks from start of season, and we're still playing trialists and at times in places that seem out of their normal position (even if it wasn't). I would have expected this game to try and develop some sort of flow, by playing regulars for a good chunk of the game to get people into game shape rather than a revolving door. Hopefully, we move in that direction against the MLS competition later in the week.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-14-2010, 10:20 PM
i expect that players are being played out of their natural positions simply to see what they are capable of (ie Said, if we are in need of another cm etc etc)

Hugh Jazz
03-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Nana played RB a lot last yr. Frankly, I'm more comfortable at Nana at RB than Wynne

Oh for sure, but I'm more comfortable with Wynne than Garcia! :)

Technorgasm
03-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Letsw not throw the baby out with the bathwater. . t was one game. . once we are 5 weeks into teh season I think we will see where these lads settle and get a better gauge on what this season will hold for TFC

PS Preki.. a lone striker is too cautious for this leage. . score early.. .scorfe often.. hell, think NET. and we will scrape thopse draws into wins.

canadian_bhoy
03-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I looking forward to the shut the fans up signing that usually takes place in April/May (Laurent Robert).

Yohan
03-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Letsw not throw the baby out with the bathwater. . t was one game. . once we are 5 weeks into teh season I think we will see where these lads settle and get a better gauge on what this season will hold for TFC
eh. although they are just friendlies, TFC didn't look sharp in the other games either

trane
03-15-2010, 10:30 AM

he may be a mental case or lacks determination, but from what we saw today, his ball skills are pretty good

Agreed. He may not make it in top leagues due to over issues, ( i.e. he may lack pace, strengh, physicality, leaping ability, or mental issues i do not know), which may be exposed in the future, but he clearly does not lack skill. He was as solid as a passer from the back as we have had, other then possibly tebily.

trane
03-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I looking forward to the shut the fans up signing that usually takes place in April/May (Laurent Robert).

You know that is what is going to happen.

Why cannot we come into one season with a team roster relatively set and ready to play? We do not have 5 to 10 games to give, that is what we have done every seaon, we started shite, and then even if we had streches of decent play, we had dropped to many points.

Shaughno
03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Considering the players we have, Trane, you think this would best suit our players?
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41707000/gif/_41707342_sweeper_416.gif

Just swap Sweeper for another CB, IMO.

Section 117
03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
^^^ If the signing is Dickov like what has been rumored I will snap

Also, I will consider boycotting TFC until major changes are made. I will not give my seats to anyone.

trane
03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
SHAGS

YES. The Italian may be a good sweeper, Zamperini, he would seem to be able to pass the ball around. Cronin, JDG, Sanyag(potentialy) in mid, I would play De Ro and Gerba/OBW upfront as De Ro is our only proven scoring opotion.

I cannot figure out Gerba, he has done so well for out national team, it is dissapointing.

menefreghista
03-15-2010, 10:49 AM
On Zamperini: the Montreal Impact have struck gold with another Italian lower division veteran in Stefano Pesoli. Zamperini could be a nice little find for our club in the same vein.

This point cannot be stressed enough.

sulfur
03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
^^^ If the signing is Dickov like what has been rumored I will snap.
He signed with Leeds United two weeks ago. So, if he's coming to TFC, it won't be until June or July.

trane
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
^ You like that signing for Leeds?