PDA

View Full Version : CONCACAF CL coefficients!!!

Oldtimer
03-13-2010, 09:06 AM
You can now get a spreadsheet of CONCACAF CL coefficients care of Howard Hamilton:

http://www.soccermetricsblog.com/2009/10/concacaf-club-coefficients-20091024-version.html

Some interesting observations:

(1) Mexico is the country to beat. Their coefficient is 14.2 vs. the second place USA is 5.7 (Canada is 7th at 3.1).

(2) Tab 2 shows that Mexican teams dominate this competition. For example, CF Pachuca's rating is more than double the best MLS club in CL play (Houston Dynamo).

(3) The best Canadian club is Montreal, whose rating is 1/4 that of Pachuca. Toronto FC's rating is 1/9.

Fun for those who like these sort of calculations, but show that there is a long way to go before we can start booking those flights to the World Club Cup.

Menelaos
03-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Very cool.

TFCRegina
03-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Cool indeed.

Lucky Strike
03-13-2010, 09:44 AM
So according to this chart, Canada should have 2 slots instead of 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_CONCACAF_Champions_League#Realloca tion_of_bids

Guatemala, El Salvador and Panama currently have 2 slots to Canada's 1 despite being behind us in rankings. Puerto is highly ranked but their teams have to qualify through the CFU and then get fed in at the qualifying stage. Same with Trinidad and Tobago so they get the biggest shaft.

TFCRegina
03-13-2010, 09:53 AM
So according to this chart, Canada should have 2 slots instead of 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_CONCACAF_Champions_League#Realloca tion_of_bids

Guatemala, El Salvador and Panama currently have 2 slots to Canada's 1 despite being behind us in rankings. Puerto is highly ranked but their teams have to qualify through the CFU and then get fed in at the qualifying stage. Same with Trinidad and Tobago so they get the biggest shaft.

Yep. If we had a larger competition that included the 3rd Division sides from the CSL, we probably could make a case for it. But with only 3 teams competing for the spot, it's hard to make a case for 2 slots.

koryo
03-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks OT. I don't think I can remember the last time someone used three exclamation points to announce/describe a spreadsheet :)

rocker
03-13-2010, 12:39 PM
what's a coefficient?

koryo
03-13-2010, 12:47 PM
what's a coefficient?

No idea. But THREE exclamation marks. Must be good stuff :)

boban
03-13-2010, 12:48 PM
what's a coefficient?

A number or symbol multiplied with a variable or an unknown quantity in an algebraic term, as 4 in the term 4x, or x in the term x(a + b).
A numerical measure of a physical or chemical property that is constant for a system under specified conditions such as the coefficient of friction.

jaahuuu
03-15-2010, 10:26 AM
(1) Mexico is the country to beat.
Yeah...have you seen the tournament bracket? With 8 teams left, all 4 Mexican teams are still there.

Detroit_TFC
03-15-2010, 10:29 AM
A number or symbol multiplied with a variable or an unknown quantity in an algebraic term, as 4 in the term 4x, or x in the term x(a + b).
A numerical measure of a physical or chemical property that is constant for a system under specified conditions such as the coefficient of friction.

I was told there would be no MATH
:hulk:

Dunc
03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
what's a coefficient?

it's a number based on performances by a given country's clubs at the confederation level that determines how many qualification spots it gets.

for example, recently i read an article about what is going on with scotland. normally they have two CL qualification spots, but (i think) year after next they will only get one, because Belgium have surpassed them, based on poorer performances from the Scottish clubs in UEFA competition, and stronger performances from the Belgian clubs