PDA

View Full Version : Saputo's plans for Montreal

Oldtimer
03-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Heads up play

Joey Saputo aims to build a successful sports business and put Montreal on the soccer map

By PETER HADEKEL, FreelanceMarch 13, 2010 5:11 AM

From his glass-enclosed office, Joey Saputo has a sweeping view of the 13,000-seat soccer stadium he built in 2008 as home for the Montreal Impact.
He can gaze out at one end of the stadium adjacent to the Olympic park where new stands will be added as part of a planned expansion to 21,000 seats.
At the other end, Saputo can point to the spot where corporate suites will be erected once the Impact secures a new Major League Soccer franchise.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Heads+play/2678901/story.html

Cashcleaner
03-13-2010, 08:57 AM
^ Excellent article. MLS in Montreal is gonna happen. It's just gonna.

Yohan
03-13-2010, 09:12 AM
good article

an owner with a vision, and determination to make it work. nice to see

i have a feeling that when Mtl gets into MLS, it'll be like sounders in level of impact to MLS success

[NBF]
03-13-2010, 09:16 AM
This is funny cuz my question is: Is he going to pay an entry fee like Vancouver and Portland did? Something like $30 million. It almost sounds like he will join the league for nothing:) Kudos to him for not paying MLS shit!

Oldtimer
03-13-2010, 09:19 AM
;928644']This is funny cuz my question is: Is he going to pay an entry fee like Vancouver and Portland did? Something like $30 million. It almost sounds like he will join the league for nothing:) Kudos to him for not paying MLS shit!

From the article:

It's all part of his master plan to build a successful sports business and put Montreal on the soccer map. Saputo hopes that within a few weeks a deal will be announced that will award the Impact an MLS franchise for 2012, at a cost of around $35 million U.S.

mlg_acc99
03-13-2010, 09:33 AM
That was indeed a great article. I really hope Montreal gets a franchise for 2012.

SoccMan
03-13-2010, 09:55 AM
You can tell that the writer of this article is someone who does not usualy write about soccer. The writer points out that many teams in the MLS are losing money, almost to prove to people out there that this league is not very stable,however, the same can be said of many teams in the NHL where many teams there are also losing money, but I can assure you that the kind of money many NHL teams are losing is much much more than what MLS teams are losing. However, even though many NHL teams lose bush loads of money does not mean the NHL is on the verge of folding, same can be said of the MLS, yes teams are losing money but the league is not in any peril of folding.

Damien
03-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Garber is out of his mind if he doesnt award a franchise to Montreal.

billyfly
03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
While I want soccer in NA and Canada to succeed and make the big time, I don't give a squirt of piss about MTL. One day I will choke on their ashes just like all my other enemies.

mdc 77
03-13-2010, 11:56 AM
It's nice to see that Saputo seems to "get it". Assuming Montreal joins in 2012, this will be a great turning point for soccer in Canada I believe. Personally I'm quite optimistic that Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal will be 3 of the strongest clubs in MLS in terms of support at least and definitely in terms of ownership. Which will help the game on the national level eventually. Now lets just hope the league actually plays this year.

rocker
03-13-2010, 12:47 PM
You can tell that the writer of this article is someone who does not usualy write about soccer. The writer points out that many teams in the MLS are losing money, almost to prove to people out there that this league is not very stable,however, the same can be said of many teams in the NHL where many teams there are also losing money, but I can assure you that the kind of money many NHL teams are losing is much much more than what MLS teams are losing. However, even though many NHL teams lose bush loads of money does not mean the NHL is on the verge of folding, same can be said of the MLS, yes teams are losing money but the league is not in any peril of folding.

I wouldn't criticize the author... he's just repeating what a reputable magazine, Forbes, has said. He also says such reports are "unconfirmed." He notes the low attendances in KC and Dallas, which is true, and then talks about the great successes in Toronto and Seattle. Pretty balanced article.

rocker
03-13-2010, 12:48 PM
While I want soccer in NA and Canada to succeed and make the big time, I don't give a squirt of piss about MTL. One day I will choke on their ashes just like all my other enemies.

ya I want to see them in the league but I want to see us kick their asses continually, as we have in the NCC :)

We cannot forget that Montreal still has yet to win a game against TFC in the NCC... :)

Mark in Ottawa
03-13-2010, 01:25 PM
ya I want to see them in the league but I want to see us kick their asses continually, as we have in the NCC :)

We cannot forget that Montreal still has yet to win a game against TFC in the NCC... :)
2 games... and one of those against a "throw away" squad.
Little there to brag about.

A "Canadian Championship" tournament consisting of 3 teams...
lets get real... it isn't much of an accomplishment.

rocker
03-13-2010, 01:27 PM
2 games... and one of those against a "throw away" squad.
Little there to brag about.

2 games? Guess you only followed TFC in 2009????

4 games my friend.... no losses... TFC also scored the first goal ever at Saputo Stadium (the christening).

I'm dealing in objective fact here..

FACT: Montreal has never beaten TFC in a game. :)
FACT: In the short history of the NCC, Montreal has the worst record of the 3 teams :)
FACT: In the short history of the NCC, TFC has the most points. :)

Redcoe15
03-13-2010, 01:42 PM
It will be great once Montréal joins MLS (it's only a matter of time). But, after reading the article, I can't help but wonder if they and Vancouver - with the front office they're putting together - will manage to blow Toronto out of the water given the way Mo has been running (and ruining)things with TFC.

God only help us.

Keegan
03-13-2010, 01:59 PM
I love how Canada has these colourful owners in Saputo and Kerfoot, guys who have a vision and are passionate about Canada soccer

Beach_Red
03-13-2010, 02:07 PM

It's a start. Let's remember, for forty years the NHL had six teams but only three of them were really contenders, sharing the Stanley Cup between them.

Gotta start somewhere.

barca99
03-13-2010, 02:34 PM
I love how Canada has these colourful owners in Saputo and Kerfoot, guys who have a vision and are passionate about Canada soccer

I agree fully. Justed watched a show on ESPN Classic in which they discussed the downfall of the CSL and the intertwined fate of the CMNT. If we (Canada) has any hope of international success there needs to be some kind of pro soccer in Canada. I hope that some of the other soccer cities (Calgary, Edmonton to name two obvious choices) can jump on board and field pro teams (even if they are in lower leagues it will only help Cdn. soccer). It may take some "colourful" owners (with deep pockets) for this to happen though.

boban
03-13-2010, 05:24 PM
2 games? Guess you only followed TFC in 2009????

4 games my friend.... no losses... TFC also scored the first goal ever at Saputo Stadium (the christening).

I'm dealing in objective fact here..

FACT: Montreal has never beaten TFC in a game. :)
FACT: In the short history of the NCC, Montreal has the worst record of the 3 teams :)
FACT: In the short history of the NCC, TFC has the most points. :)
Spin the numbers all the fuck you want.
End result each has 1 championship.
Montreal beat Toronto to the 2008 championship.

boban
03-13-2010, 05:27 PM
It's a start. Let's remember, for forty years the NHL had six teams but only three of them were really contenders, sharing the Stanley Cup between them.

Gotta start somewhere.
I agree with this. A championship should be celebrated, but not gloated about in this early stage.
Mind you, in some time in the future (5-10 years) we hopefully have 6-8 teams competing for the trophy. Then a true accomplishment can be can honestly be celebrated.

uncle p
03-13-2010, 05:35 PM
MTL in the league with an owner like that would be great.....Bring on the impact!!!

Side note: How can anyone watch and be excited for the NCC and then shit on the hardware when we win it? Either be proud of the trophy or get out of the stands....

Cashcleaner
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Gotta start somewhere.

Exactly what people need to remember. We all know the Canadian Championship is still a small tourney right now. Yes, it would be great if it featured more clubs, but not showing our support and enthusiasm now towards the competition isn't going to help move things along.

So often with this club it's been up to the supporters to lead the way and I don't think the Voyageurs Cup should be any different in that regard. If we can organize the buses and rent the vans to take a few hundred of us down to Kansas City, DC, or Chicago; we should be able to do the same with Montreal.

Didn't want to get that far off topic with this post, but it looks like I did just that. :D

Oldtimer
03-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Exactly what people need to remember. We all know the Canadian Championship is still a small tourney right now. Yes, it would be great if it featured more clubs, but not showing our support and enthusiasm now towards the competition isn't going to help move things along.

:D

Edmonton will be added next year, so it will be up to 4.