PDA

View Full Version : A Serioux Move

SmokedPanda
03-12-2010, 11:30 AM
http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100312&content_id=8766814&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

thanks for all you have done

justin
03-12-2010, 11:34 AM
yet another master move by mo. so we basically traded a useful first round pick for a useless third.

olegunnar
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I thought he had a career ending injury, and had to retire.
:rolleyes:

wzhxvy
03-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Oh my god...I think I am going to throw up...

Is this another guy that did not want to be here Mo ???...WHAT THE F IS GOING ON

We lose a back and we are already short at least 2...we still have Garcia on the roster...we trade Serioux for a 3rd round pick vs the first pick we acquired him for...we are paying for salaries of players who are not here...I AM STARTING TO GET FING ENRAGED

drewski
03-12-2010, 11:45 AM
this deserves a GIANT

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w179/random1301/facepalm-1-1.jpg

hell, make it 2

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/8227/facepalm2kx3.jpg
http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/img394.imageshack.us/img394/8227/facepalm2kx3.jpg

Oldtimer
03-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I thought he had a career ending injury, and had to retire.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, I half believed it. Don't drink the Mo...

http://www.columbia.edu/%7Esf2220/TT2008/web-content/Images/yes%20Kool-AidMan.jpg

Roogsy
03-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I am glad he is gone. It's not like we needed a defender or anything! :rolleyes:

(For those of you who are not internet-literate, that was dripping with sarcasm...)

olegunnar
03-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I half believed it. Don't drink the Mo...

I think I'm going to try and keep a list of the lines we're fed...it's getting to the point that it's actually pretty funny.

1) Dichio is too old and frail to fly....that's my personal favourite
2) Robbo wants to move his family again (for a year max and then have to move again) just so he can try out for a job (no extra compensation, since he was going to get paid his guarenteed money anyways)....I mean Robbo wants to be traded.
3) Serioux has to retire because of a career ending injury.

Did I forget any?

I wonder, given the fact that it's obvious we're not being told the truth all of the time... if there is more of a backstory on
Eskandarian
Casey
Harmse
etc. etc.

ginkster88
03-12-2010, 11:53 AM
This is... yesterday's news.

T.Reis
03-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Are u guys planning to do something on opening day in the stands as a thank-you for some of the guys like Robbo, Serioux or Amado?

Just wondering cuz you guys showed off your class with the Dichio banner. I think it would be understandable if it didn't go to that extent with those 3 guys as it did with Dichio but i was just wondering if any talk/ideas have come up.

Phil
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Are u guys planning to do something on opening day in the stands as a thank-you for some of the guys like Robbo, Serioux or Amado?

Just wondering cuz you guys showed off your class with the Dichio banner. I think it would be understandable if it didn't go to that extent with those 3 guys as it did with Dichio but i was just wondering if any talk/ideas have come up.

To be honest I think we would be looking at doing something when the actual traded / dumped players make their way back to BMO during the season.

It would be more appropriate to do something at that point.

Rudi
03-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I think I'm going to try and keep a list of the lines we're fed...it's getting to the point that it's actually pretty funny.

2) Robbo wants to move his family again (for a year max and then have to move again) just so he can try out for a job (no extra compensation, since he was going to get paid his guarenteed money anyways)....I mean Robbo wants to be traded.

Did I forget any?

I wonder, given the fact that it's obvious we're not being told the truth all of the time... if there is more of a backstory on
Eskandarian
Casey
Harmse
etc. etc.
Not defending Mo in any way, but lines 2 and 3 did not come from anyone at the club.

If we're going to get mad, let's at least get our facts straight.

T.Reis
03-12-2010, 12:26 PM
To be honest I think we would be looking at doing something when the actual traded / dumped players make their way back to BMO during the season.

It would be more appropriate to do something at that point.

Good thinking!

Darlofletch
03-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Did I forget any?

Eskandarian
Casey
Harmse
etc. etc.

Remember when Carver left because MLS wouldn't let him sit upstairs to watch the game? That was a good one.

As for Serioux. yesterday's news, but still makes me angry. Robbo was handled wrong, but we didn't really need him any more, so fair enough it had to be done.

Serioux though, a defender, yep we need them. Canadian, yep we need them. Good player, he certainly was last year until he got injured/played at left back. Really doesn't make sense why we'd not re-sign him and let him go for a third round pick.

Ah well, thanks Adrian for the effort you put in playing through your injuries last year.

Pachuco
03-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I have no idea what went on here, but this is seriousxly a major FUCK UP by MO. This guy brought heart, passion, grittiness to our team. I honestly couldn't be more angry at this pathetic organization. I thought I was mad when they pulled the Real Madrid crap, now I'm just getting ready to throw in the towel.

menefreghista
03-12-2010, 01:11 PM
This is... yesterday's news.

It may be yesterday's news, but its official today.

TFC Cityboy
03-12-2010, 01:13 PM
just goes to show that if you want breaking news on matters TFC, THIS site is where to get it as we were discussingthis early in the week if not last week. Waiting for Pravda/aka TFC official s(h)ite leaves you days behind what is happening.

ag futbol
03-12-2010, 01:43 PM
torontofc.ca headline: ``reds add draft pick for Serioux``. That`s quite the amazing 3rd round draft pick we added after giving up our first rounder last year.

Add it to the list! epic fail.

Guajiro
03-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I have no idea what went on here, but this is seriousxly a major FUCK UP by MO. This guy brought heart, passion, grittiness to our team. I honestly couldn't be more angry at this pathetic organization. I thought I was mad when they pulled the Real Madrid crap, now I'm just getting ready to throw in the towel.

From what I've heard (from It's Called Football, maybe) was that Preki wanted him out, not so much Mo.

Shakes McQueen
03-12-2010, 01:58 PM
I Serioux ends up not playing, then this is a good deal. Though it remains to be seen why Houston would take his contract if this was the case.

If he does play minutes for Houston, then this is just the latest "what the fuck?" moment from Mo Johnston and company.

I suppose the other option is that Preki told Mo to get rid of him. If that's the case, I sincerely hope there are additional signings coming down the pipe. It'd be nice to see a TFC coach assert his own fingerprint on the team's roster, but there better be a plan in place.

At any rate, I'm not pissed off about this move yet. I'd like to see how this all plays out.

- Scott

Mikey
03-12-2010, 02:51 PM
torontofc.ca headline: ``reds add draft pick for Serioux``. That`s quite the amazing 3rd round draft pick we added after giving up our first rounder last year.

Add it to the list! epic fail.

True headline > "Reds swap first round pick for third round pick" :picard:

MUFC_Niagara
03-12-2010, 02:58 PM
I Serioux ends up not playing, then this is a good deal. Though it remains to be seen why Houston would take his contract if this was the case.

If he does play minutes for Houston, then this is just the latest "what the fuck?" moment from Mo Johnston and company.

I suppose the other option is that Preki told Mo to get rid of him. If that's the case, I sincerely hope there are additional signings coming down the pipe. It'd be nice to see a TFC coach assert his own fingerprint on the team's roster, but there better be a plan in place.

At any rate, I'm not pissed off about this move yet. I'd like to see how this all plays out.

- Scott

If Caan and Said sign and prove to be better than Serioux....master stroke. But, why not sign them all and 3 viable options at CB.

Shaughno
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
From what I've heard (from It's Called Football, maybe) was that Preki wanted him out, not so much Mo.

Maybe Preki did want him out, but from what I've been hearing from pretty damn reliable sources, Robbo wanted out and it wasn't because of Preki.

MUFC_Niagara
03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Maybe Preki did want him out, but from what I've been hearing from pretty damn reliable sources, Robbo wanted out and it wasn't because of Preki.

If by reliable you mean Robbo himself (like I did), then you are correct sir.

McGill
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! !!
He was one of the better defenders last year (minus the unnecessary roughness sometimes).

Shakes McQueen
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
If Caan and Said sign and prove to be better than Serioux....master stroke. But, why not sign them all and 3 viable options at CB.

Cap issues I imagine is the answer. Serioux was very well paid by MLS standards, and if Preki didn't think he was the right man for the job, or if he plans on bringing in one or two CB's of his choosing, then trading Serioux makes sense.

The big caveat there, is assuming that at least one other defender is on the way. I have to believe that is going to happen - either in the form of a trialist with experience, or a signing from elsewhere. We simply can't go into the MLS season with so few players.

I don't trust Mo, but I certainly trust that Preki has some sort of plan.

- Scott

MUFC_Niagara
And let me be clear. I am not pissed that Robbo and Serioux were moved. I realize this is a business and that you need to be ruthless sometimes, meaning sometimes good people will be sacrificed. However, there is a difference bewteen ruthless and being an asshole with terrible people management skills. Mo fills the latter.

Shakes McQueen

Jason de Vos just said today in a CBC Sports chat session, that Robbo didn't want to leave Toronto.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
03-12-2010, 03:11 PM
And let me be clear. I am not pissed that Robbo and Serioux were moved. I realize this is a business and that you need to be ruthless sometimes, meaning sometimes good people will be sacrificed. However, there is a difference bewteen ruthless and being an asshole with terrible people management skills. Mo fills the latter.

I agree, and I said as much last week.

I get the need to move guys, even "fan favourites", for various reasons - a good offer comes along, or you need cap relief, or whatever.

But shipping him off in the middle of the night and not even announcing the move until well after the fact? Terrible.

- Scott

Shaughno
03-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Jason de Vos just said today in a CBC Sports chat session, that Robbo didn't want to leave Toronto.

- Scott

I said that before. He didn't want to leave Toronto, he didn't want to leave the Team or the Fans. He wanted out because of one person. There are underlying issues that I'm sure Robbo didn't want to discuss on air, because unlike some people at the club, Robbo has class.

Shakes McQueen
03-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I said that before. He didn't want to leave Toronto, he didn't want to leave the Team or the Fans. He wanted out because of one person. There are underlying issues that I'm sure Robbo didn't want to discuss on air, because unlike some people at the club, Robbo has class.

Ahh okay, I understand what you meant now. Yeah, I'm sure Mo played a huge part in why Robbo wanted out.

It's pretty shocking when you sit down and really think about it, that Mo Johnston is still the GM of this team.

When you look at what a mess our cap situation is, and the complete lack of team success, and the fact that several players have basically left or complained about him... it's shocking.

I have to believe that if this team comes out looking like shit again, that he will be fired finally. I just have to believe that.

- Scott

Boondaddy
03-12-2010, 03:18 PM
3rd round pick = triple facepalm....

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Shaughno
03-12-2010, 03:18 PM
We can only hope Scott...

mastermixer
03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Have we confirmed that it's Mo that Serioux is talking about in the article from a couple of days ago? I read it again today and it could just as easily be Preki no?

Huyton
03-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Blast.

I liked watching Serioux and his commitment to the cause...no quarter asked, nor given. I particularly loved the long throws, and had hoped that this particular weapon would be used more often this year.

Ah, well.

Adrian...thanks for all you did on the field.

Shaughno
03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Have we confirmed that it's Mo that Serioux is talking about in the article from a couple of days ago? I read it again today and it could just as easily be Preki no?

I can't confirm that, but I can confirm Robbo's problem was not with Preki but with Mo.

T-Bird
03-12-2010, 03:23 PM
So, MLSE gets new team, sells tons of seats, makes lot's of money, aquires a huge and rather loyal following which will guarantee a steady cash flow, then gets a few good players only to trade them for weaker players?

Shocking!

Side note: I will be really sad to see him go. He was quickly becomming my favorite player

Boondaddy
03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Robbo and now Serioux.....for essentially nothing....what is going on??
STOP THE MADNESS!

MUFC_Niagara
03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree, and I said as much last week.

I get the need to move guys, even "fan favourites", for various reasons - a good offer comes along, or you need cap relief, or whatever.

But shipping him off in the middle of the night and not even announcing the move until well after the fact? Terrible.

- Scott
Exaclty.

(I know posted it right under you....it wasn't in response to your post....it was in general. lol.)

MUFC_Niagara
03-12-2010, 03:37 PM
The Robinson deal is up for debate as to whether it was good business or not. But this deal, it's cut and dry. If a better CB than Serioux doesn't come in then we basically gave up a 1st round pick for a 3rd round pick. If we get better at CB then i'll eat the 1st pick, but if it emerges this move was made because of another Mo screw job and we get fuck all at CB this year then I will personally lead the protest parade. Fact.

Shaughno
03-12-2010, 03:40 PM
It could come down to a combination of Preki and Mo.

Preki is known to prefer cheaper contracts to bigger ones, and Serioux was on a fairly high contract at approx $120k considering his age and injuries.

If we get Said, then that 3rd rounder is worth it's weight in cap space and a roster spot IMO.

Pachuco
03-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Well Serioux is a starter on the national team, Caan isn't. It sure would be a miracle if he's better then Serioux.

MUFC_Niagara
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
It could come down to a combination of Preki and Mo.

Preki is known to prefer cheaper contracts to bigger ones, and Serioux was on a fairly high contract at approx $120k considering his age and injuries.

If we get Said, then that 3rd rounder is worth it's weight in cap space and a roster spot IMO.

I agree Jay. But if Said turns out to be pants then what a terrible piece of business this is.

Beach_Red
03-12-2010, 03:45 PM

I'd like to know how much meddling the "single-entity MLS" does in all this. Some people were certain it was the league that arranged for DeRo to be sent to TFC and the league that stepped in and made the final decision on the McBride-Barrett deal. Some have even speculated that the league wanted MLS to take Mo because he was already under contract.

As for Robbo, if he's pissed at Mo then maybe he shouldn't take the salary he gave him and just take what NY is willing to pay him...

Shaughno
03-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Said isn't pants. His technical skill is miles above any of our other defenders, at 30 years old his experience and skill will be quite obvious in comparison.

IMO Serioux was one of, if not our best defender last year. Said has been a starting CB for Egypt for years and if it wasn't for his reputation, I'm sure he would have made a larger mark on the football world.

Shaughno
03-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I'd like to know how much meddling the "single-entity MLS" does in all this. Some people were certain it was the league that arranged for DeRo to be sent to TFC and the league that stepped in and made the final decision on the McBride-Barrett deal. Some have even speculated that the league wanted MLS to take Mo because he was already under contract.

As for Robbo, if he's pissed at Mo then maybe he shouldn't take the salary he gave him and just take what NY is willing to pay him...

There's more than meets the eye to that situation, I promise you that.

Section 117
03-12-2010, 03:50 PM
From what I heard Preki didn't want Serioux. As much as he played with heart I can understand why. Serioux is not a cb. He is a defensive midfielder or LB. He made too many mistakes which lead to fouls or cards as he was not playing in his normal position.

On a side note a little rant here. TFC line up is not FIFA 10. You can't just plug players into positons they do not normally play. You will end up with the defence that we had last year which was postionally awful and and constant fuck ups in the last 15 minutes of a game.

just my 2 cents

MUFC_Niagara
03-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Said isn't pants. His technical skill is miles above any of our other defenders, at 30 years old his experience and skill will be quite obvious in comparison.

IMO Serioux was one of, if not our best defender last year. Said has been a starting CB for Egypt for years and if it wasn't for his reputation, I'm sure he would have made a larger mark on the football world.

We'll how he adjusts to MLS. I realize he has been a stalward in the Egypt squad but the jury is still out for me.

ManUtd4ever
03-12-2010, 03:55 PM
From what I heard Preki didn't want Serioux. As much as he played with heart I can understand why. Serioux is not a cb. He is a defensive midfielder or LB. He made too many mistakes which lead to fouls or cards as he was not playing in his normal position.

On a side note a little rant here. TFC line up is not FIFA 10. You can't just plug players into positons they do not normally play. You will end up with the defence that we had last year which was postionally awful and and constant fuck ups in the last 15 minutes of a game.

just my 2 cents

Unfortunately, the issue of players being utilized out of position has been a constant since day one. It seems like Preki is intent on changing that pattern...

Shaughno
03-12-2010, 04:12 PM

just my 2 cents

Agreed... big time.

We'll how he adjusts to MLS. I realize he has been a stalward in the Egypt squad but the jury is still out for me.

For sure, but IMO if Preki thinks he's good enough.. that's enough for me.

trane
03-12-2010, 04:22 PM

That is why we kept Garcia.

:(

canadian_bhoy
03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Gotta say - I've never seen the board and fans so against Mo. There were always people who didn't like him, there was always controversy, but I've never seen it like this.

This could be the beginning of the end of Mo.

Whoop
03-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Can you blame the people?

rocker
03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
So Serioux is perfectly healthy?

I've read in the past (and it didn't come from TFC) that he had something wrong with his arm and neck and needed a lot of rehab. THEN I heard he fell on ice walking his dog and damaged his arm/elbow. Is this all bullshit or real?

If he's hurt, then Houston must be expecting to go without him for a few months. Or they're thinking it doesn't hurt to sign him (non-guaranteed) and then dump him before the July guarantee date if he doesn't rehab well enough.

jazzy
03-13-2010, 12:16 AM
If there's a strike no more league? If not another season of Mo, then season 1 all over again.......I can't sleep

Shakes McQueen
03-13-2010, 01:46 AM
Gotta say - I've never seen the board and fans so against Mo. There were always people who didn't like him, there was always controversy, but I've never seen it like this.

This could be the beginning of the end of Mo.

I, along with a few other notable people here, actually generally defended the job Mo was doing for a large part of last season.

His inability to bring in a competent central defender or striker, the widespread fighting within the team, the failure to make the playoffs, and his total mismanagement of the roster/cap, are what led me to "find religion" in the anti-Mo camp.

I said at the beginning of last season that I'd give him a while to see how the season shook out. Well I did, and he failed. And he has yet to take any responsibility in any meaningful sense. He should have resigned.

When the players themselves are taking potshots at the general manager through the press based just on his man-management ability (without a game being played!!), then it's time to go.

Even if we make the playoffs, he should move on, because it will clearly be in spite of his management, and not because of it.

- Scott

Petor
03-13-2010, 05:24 AM
The way things are going this song should be in the top 10 very soon. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UT6ATtjaI

Cashcleaner
03-13-2010, 06:27 AM
Here's the thing...

This is the sort of shake-up that we've been demanding at Toronto FC! Remember when we were stinking it up last season and people left and right were calling for a complete overhaul of the team? Well this is it! Robbo and now Serioux aren't being let go because the GM has nothing better to do with his time. What's happening now is what so many of us have been begging for - a clean slate.

I know it looks like madness to some of you guys, but I'm seeing a plan start to form. I sorta echo TFC Niagara's sentiment in how these moves are being made, but with the season itself still up in the air, I don't think Toronto - or any other club for that matter - really has the luxury to drag their feet on these deals.

I want Johnston out from the organization just as much as the next person; but I just really think the recent trades and acquisitions are indeed part of a larger strategy to remake the club.

Oldtimer
03-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Nothing wrong with a remake. Preki will have his own ideas about the team and should carry them out.

The problem is not in getting rid of players like Robinson... the problem is the utterly classless way in which it's being done.

Because of that, the greatest remake this team needs is in the GM position.

MUFC_Niagara
03-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Nothing wrong with a remake. Preki will have his own ideas about the team and should carry them out.

The problem is not in getting rid of players like Robinson... the problem is the utterly classless way in which it's being done.

Because of that, the greatest remake this team needs is in the GM position.

Agreed. The business side of these transactions is up for debate and only time will tell whether these moves were good or not. That issue aside, it's the piss poor way this fool treats people. A 2 time Player of the Year and one of our first players, Robbo deserved to be treated better. As did Serioux who was strung along and told nothing of his future.

Sports is unlike any business in that you are asking someone who has 10 years to make the most money possible to uproot their family, which may have been previously uprooted 6 months earlier, to move another city. In this case even a new country. You need to treat people with respect or they'll shun you. If a player agent calls Robbo, Dichio, Serioux, Esky, etc's. agent and asks what Mo was like to deal with and should his player consider TFC as an option are any of us confident Mo would get a positive assessment?

Yohan
03-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Mo's job in any club should be just director of youth football. good at drafting. shite at pretty much anything else.

though i wonder just how much credit should Mo get for finding, and developing Attakora

serioux deal sounds like more of salary cap shred. deals like this for cheap draft picks usually are in MLS

I'd like to see Serioux-Said-Attakora in backline, but oh well

still going to miss the Predator (remember early last season when Serioux bossed the backline singlehandly before injuries?)

parma
03-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Last year we collapsed with these playes in tow, now we want change and we don't like the change...can't have it both ways...this team did not compete at its hightest level, we demanded a new coach, got a new coach in Preki...has a vision and it is now time to see what happens..from Preki's interviews we know that he is no nonsense and is singular in his focus

Redcoe15
03-13-2010, 01:36 PM
The way things are going this song should be in the top 10 very soon. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UT6ATtjaI
BWAH!!! If he does it with a Scottish accent, he'd nail Mo Johnston down pat.

Shakes McQueen
03-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Here's the thing...

This is the sort of shake-up that we've been demanding at Toronto FC! Remember when we were stinking it up last season and people left and right were calling for a complete overhaul of the team? Well this is it! Robbo and now Serioux aren't being let go because the GM has nothing better to do with his time. What's happening now is what so many of us have been begging for - a clean slate.

I know it looks like madness to some of you guys, but I'm seeing a plan start to form. I sorta echo TFC Niagara's sentiment in how these moves are being made, but with the season itself still up in the air, I don't think Toronto - or any other club for that matter - really has the luxury to drag their feet on these deals.

I want Johnston out from the organization just as much as the next person; but I just really think the recent trades and acquisitions are indeed part of a larger strategy to remake the club.

I'm all for shaking the roster up, but we are close to being right up against the cap, we aren't carrying a filled out roster, and we STILL have no depth or proven scoring at striker or central defense. And the season is scheduled to start extremely soon, assuming there is no strike.

My fear is that this "shake up" is more likely being caused by Mo trying to find an escape hatch out of our cap situation.

- Scott

Brooker
03-13-2010, 04:06 PM
I was more upset when Marshall left, to be quite honest....

I'm just hoping Said can be the monster we're all hoping he can be.