PDA

View Full Version : Leafs officially bid to host 2012 Winter Classic

werewolf
03-11-2010, 01:53 PM
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=521007

The Toronto Maple Leafs have also applied to host the 2011 NHL Entry Draft at Air Canada Centre, as well as expressed a desire to host the 2012 NHL Winter Classic at BMO Field, home of MLSE’s soccer team Toronto FC.

fetajr
03-11-2010, 01:54 PM
hahahah..2011 draft?..they don't have a 1st round pick!!

ManUtd4ever
03-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I would love to watch the Leafs at BMO but I think the demand for tickets would justify the Winter Classic being held at the Rogers Centre if it is awarded to Toronto. Either way, I'm in!

Whoop
03-11-2010, 01:58 PM
The 2002 NHL draft in Toronto was the worst draft I've ever attended - no atmosphere - mainly because the Leafs first round pick was in the 20s.

With no first round draft pick in 2011, I can't see too many people attending.

A Winter Classic at BMO will be insert. Just remember don't press your tongue against any of the steel.

Darlofletch
03-11-2010, 01:58 PM
I think Bmo woukld be a terrible idea for this. having it outdoors has allowed either huge crowds, or the chance to play at iconic stadiums like wrigley or fenway.

BMO is neither of those things. this would be just playing outdoors for the sake of playing outdoors.

Sab0tage
03-11-2010, 02:08 PM
hahahah..2011 draft?..they don't have a 1st round pick!! As of now they don't. Doesn't mean they won't by then.

And I like the idea of a Winter Classic but not at BMO. I don't know if it's possible at the Skydome but that would be pretty cool.

Parkdale
03-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I think Bmo woukld be a terrible idea for this. having it outdoors has allowed either huge crowds, or the chance to play at iconic stadiums like wrigley or fenway.

BMO is neither of those things. this would be just playing outdoors for the sake of playing outdoors.

Skydome, while not exactly 'historic' is still a world famous baseball field.
They could get everything set up with the roof closed, then open it at game time!

TFC Tifoso
03-11-2010, 02:16 PM
they can't open the roof.....it is locked at the end of baseball season....can you imagine the opening/closing mechanism screwing up in freezing temperatures?

I think BMO is the only logical choice, but not a great one due to reasons stated...

Shaughno
03-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Do they really think BMO has the size and room to host that???

rocker
03-11-2010, 02:25 PM
just do it at skydome with the roof closed. drop some confetti from the ceiling to pretend it's outdoors.

BuSaPuNk
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Do they really think BMO has the size and room to host that???

Atleast there is a outdoor stadium to play it in. The Senators wanted to do the game on the Redeau Canal!!! :picard:

I'm sure if TO was awarded it they would love to have it at the dome. Think of the amount of money they would make in revenue in ticket sales and concessions.

Ladies Love Julius James
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Why would they choose such a small venue when historically they have sold out Fenway and Ralph Wilson LOL

Beach_Red
03-11-2010, 02:34 PM

This is true.

If they want to do a Winter Classic in Toronto they should try and find something more special than just an outdoor game, some really creative idea.

Detroit_TFC
03-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Small size no problem. Tickets will be $500 each.

Gixmo
03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
they can't open the roof.....it is locked at the end of baseball season....can you imagine the opening/closing mechanism screwing up in freezing temperatures?

I think BMO is the only logical choice, but not a great one due to reasons stated...

With some background in how that roof opens, It can be easily 'unlocked' and the temperatures would not pose an issue. You could open it in a snow storm, They just don't.

Give them a reason to open it & it can be done. BMO isn't big enough.

olegunnar
03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
This may be a dumb question but....

Are the water lines at BMO heated?

I know every year they turn the water off and board up the bathrooms.

ilikemusic
03-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Ya, size isnt an issue. They will be able to charge whatever they want for tickets.

And I couldnt care less about the draft.

Im still dumbfounded as to why anybody attends these things.

Cas87
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Skydome won't be used because of the protection of the roof system during the harsh canadian winters (lol?!?)

But with BMO, there are now seats at all four ends of the field, and I am sure temporary seating could be added behind the west stands (the non-two level side).
Or, it can be the excuse to finally fill in the corners, and finish the second level

Also, there is absolutely no point for the Leafs to ever hold another draft, because their 1st rounders will either be good and traded away, or crappy and kept

mlsintoronto
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
This may be a dumb question but....

Are the water lines at BMO heated?

I know every year they turn the water off and board up the bathrooms.

not a dumb question. i don't know how they will overcome our exposed plumbing!

Daveisonfire
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Umm isn't this a bid for the all-star game?

So this isn't an offical bid for the winter classic...just an expressed desire.

werewolf
03-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Umm isn't this a bid for the all-star game?

So this isn't an offical bid for the winter classic...just an expressed desire.

I was combining with what I read on TSN (which I failed to include albeit).

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=313477

The club has also applied to host the 2011 NHL Entry Draft at Air Canada Centre as well as the 2012 NHL Winter Classic at BMO Field, home of MLS soccer club Toronto FC.

stugautz
03-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Keep the Winter Classic in the states and give Canada their own outdoor game.

The Winter Classic has turned into a mini showpiece for the NHL, it gets good media coverage and the ratings are some of the highest for the year. They have had 3 good games so far in Buffalo, Chicago and Boston, why mess with the formula? Toronto shouldn't get the game before Detroit, New York, Denver, Philadelphia or Minnesota.

On the flip side, a Canadian winter classic played later in the day would make for a great double header for the NHL. Leafs-Habs at BMO or Molson Stadium would be huge draws. A Calgary-Edmonton would be another great draw for TV.

olegunnar
03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
MLSE should bid for it...then if they get it, hold it at Ivor Wynne

That would serve a few purposes.

1) they could try and win back some postive vibes from 519 and 905ers (thier core fan base) that they may have lost when they put the kibosh on a team moving to Hamilton/screwed over KWs local IT Baron.

2) they might be able to stretch the sabres/leafs border further SW, or at least strengthen thier hold on Hamilton to Fort Erie.

3) It's been done there before. So the logistics are already figured out.

4) More seats....duh! $$$

5) Most importantly...neutral site= not in season ticket plan...so it'd be like the Leaf version of the RM fiasco. Bring out the loyalty discounts!!

edit: to add #6

6) they'd have to give the city of Hamilton a cut (rent I would guess) and sweeten the city's cut as a "lets not talk about expansion for 20 yrs" wink nudge handshake agreement.

Redcoe15
03-11-2010, 03:59 PM
You're basically selling the same amount of seats for an outdoor game at BMO Field than you would at the ACC.

What's the point? :noidea:

Oh right! For the privelage of seeing the game outdoors at jacked up prices. Ka-Ching!!! :prrr:

Daveisonfire
03-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I was combining with what I read on TSN (which I failed to include albeit).

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=313477

Ahh i see quite interesting then

fetajr
03-11-2010, 05:12 PM
the Winter Classic should be held at Christie Pitts, or some park where there are hills and a small valley large enough to fit an NHL rink.. and make it first come first stand..that would be fuckin insane.

Bars92
03-11-2010, 06:52 PM
How about Ivor Wynne?

boban
03-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Atleast there is a outdoor stadium to play it in. The Senators wanted to do the game on the Redeau Canal!!! :picard:
The Rideau Canal is 10000 Times better than the NSS!!
The whole premise behind these classic games is being taken back to where one started playing the game - frozen lakes, rivers, ponds.
The setting would be the most ideal of all.

boban
03-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Keep the Winter Classic in the states and give Canada their own outdoor game.

The Winter Classic has turned into a mini showpiece for the NHL, it gets good media coverage and the ratings are some of the highest for the year. They have had 3 good games so far in Buffalo, Chicago and Boston, why mess with the formula? Toronto shouldn't get the game before Detroit, New York, Denver, Philadelphia or Minnesota.
:picard:

boban
03-11-2010, 07:05 PM
the Winter Classic should be held at Christie Pitts, or some park where there are hills and a small valley large enough to fit an NHL rink.. and make it first come first stand..that would be fuckin insane.
Thats a cool idea.

Beach_Red
03-11-2010, 07:12 PM
The Rideau Canal is 10000 Times better than the NSS!!
The whole premise behind these classic games is being taken back to where one started playing the game - frozen lakes, rivers, ponds.
The setting would be the most ideal of all.

Yes, something like that would be great. Get a bunch of corporate sponsors and a special TV deal and make it free.

Cashcleaner
03-11-2010, 07:27 PM
I think Bmo would be a terrible idea for this. having it outdoors has allowed either huge crowds, or the chance to play at iconic stadiums like wrigley or fenway.

I can't wrap my head around it either. So far all the previous Classics have been held in some of the largest stadia on the continent. BMO Field has nothing on Fenway, Wrigley, Commonwealth, or Ralph Wilson.

Skydome, while not exactly 'historic' is still a world famous baseball field.
They could get everything set up with the roof closed, then open it at game time!

Seems like a good idea to me. One constant I keep hearing remarked by guys like Paul B is how MLSE/TFC want to keep everything in-house, regardless of any other consideration. It's all about getting the largest piece of the revenue pie.

Ummmmm, that sounds actually incredibly awesome and way better than a game held here at BMO Field. Or Skydome for that matter...

More than likely. And people will pay that, of course.

You're basically selling the same amount of seats for an outdoor game at BMO Field than you would at the ACC.

What's the point? :noidea:

Oh right! For the privelage of seeing the game outdoors at jacked up prices. Ka-Ching!!! :prrr:

Redcoe gets the prize!

menefreghista
03-11-2010, 07:44 PM
MLSE is looking for other streams of revenue because they know there won't be any Leafs playoff revenue for awhile. That's why they're aggressively pursuing any NHL cash cow they can.

I can't wrap my head around it either. So far all the previous Classics have been held in some of the largest stadia on the continent. BMO Field has nothing on Fenway, Wrigley, Commonwealth, or Ralph Wilson.

When I think largest stadia on the continent, Fenway and Wrigley don't come to mind.

Voodooman
03-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Didn't they also bid for 2012, and 2013 all star games?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521009

boban
03-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Fenway and Wrigley aren't very big.
You are right, but they are almost twice the size of where the Laughs want the game to be played.

menefreghista
03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
You are right, but they are almost twice the size of where the Laughs want the game to be played.

I'm willing to bet ticket revenues would be higher at BMO Field than they were at either Fenway or Wrigley.

The size of the stadium is irrelevant. The point is to create a spectacle (and make boatloads of money off it).

That being said, I still think every US market gets one of these games before it ends up in Canada again. Hell, I heard Dallas wants to host it at the Cowboys new stadium.

Cashcleaner
03-11-2010, 07:53 PM
When I think largest stadia on the continent, Fenway and Wrigley don't come to mind.

Really? Fenway is 29th largest and Wrigley is 19th for baseball. I'll concede that the big NFL facilities sorta overwhelm everything else, though.

Like Boban said, though; they're still twice the size of BMO Field.

Stryker
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Sounds like a great excuse to expand BMO Field to 30,000

:p

menefreghista
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Really? Fenway is 29th largest and Wrigley is 19th for baseball. I'll concede that the big NFL facilities sorta overwhelm everything else, though.

I think you just proved my point....

Sounds like a great excuse to expand BMO Field to 30,000

:p

You know they will at least attempt to add temporary seats.

boban
03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm willing to bet ticket revenues would be higher at BMO Field than they were at either Fenway or Wrigley.

The size of the stadium is irrelevant. The point is to create a spectacle (and make boatloads of money off it).
But you are talking about the biggest hockey market in the world.
Of course revenues would be high. But it would be even higher if held in a bigger stadium. Also, from a viewer standpoint on TV, why would one watch a game played in a 20,000 seater? Seems kinda pointless in a way.
Part of the spectacle - a big part, is to have it in a really big venue. That creates press.

Cashcleaner
03-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Cashcleaner http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=926767#post926767)
I think you just proved my point....

You will this round, Men.

...efre

...ghista.

billyfly
03-11-2010, 08:16 PM
MLSE add more seats (and a roof for Flush)

Beach_Red
03-11-2010, 08:22 PM
But you are talking about the biggest hockey market in the world.
Of course revenues would be high. But it would be even higher if held in a bigger stadium. Also, from a viewer standpoint on TV, why would one watch a game played in a 20,000 seater? Seems kinda pointless in a way.
Part of the spectacle - a big part, is to have it in a really big venue. That creates press.

Yes, exactly. There should be something special about the game - simply an outdoor game isn't (or shouldn't be) enough for Toronto. Either it's in a huge stadium or in a historic stadium o something.

Blizzard
03-11-2010, 08:25 PM

That being said, I still think every US market gets one of these games before it ends up in Canada again. Hell, I heard Dallas wants to host it at the Cowboys new stadium.

The talk is to have a Winter Classic in each country. A solid idea IMO.

And the Rideau Canal would be incredible.

As was said above, it's not all about making a fortune. It is about hockey and its history.

.... and there's no way I would want any part of a Winter Classic at Skydome whether the dome be opened or closed.

boban
03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Yes, exactly. There should be something special about the game - simply an outdoor game isn't (or shouldn't be) enough for Toronto. Either it's in a huge stadium or in a historic stadium o something.
Exactly.
NHL looks to look at the legacy or whatnot. Not MLSE pocket books.
Kill the idea right away. Only way Toronto get it is if they get a huge venue.

TFCUNITED
03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
If they had a game on the Rideau Canal that would be really cool.

B45
03-11-2010, 10:13 PM
you don't want it at BMO because it's too small but you want it played on a canal where there is no stadium???

RicoSuave44
03-11-2010, 11:26 PM
http://justinmenard.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Skating-on-the-Rideau-Canal.JPG

http://www.thomas.edu/pubrel/prs/2009/January/RedBullCrashedIce-Jean-Marie%20Villeneuve%20for%20Le%20Soleil.jpg

For the Rideau Canal (above) they could put up temporary stands on the sides and incorporate the surrounding architecture. It would be absolutely stunning. My hope is it could be just like the Red Bull Crashed Ice (below) event in Quebec City. What a gorgeous setup!

james
03-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Sky Dome - seats 53,000. Problem is they say the stadium is not fitted for winter weather and temperatures. Is it going to cost them $$ millions to even just open the roof for 3 hours???

BMO- only 22,000 seats. Not much bigger then the ACC (19,300). So id imagine all the fans who got seasons at the ACC will go to the outdoor games. So really it kills the chance for reguler leaf fans to attend the game. There is the chance of adding maybe 10,000 temp seats. Again how much would that cost?

Hamilton Ivor Wyne-30,000 seats. Has hosted the Grey Cup with 50,000 seats, with 20,000 temp seats. Ivor Wyne might actually be the best fitted stadium for the outdoor game. But would Toronto want to play in Hamilton?

Bars92
03-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah Ivor Wynne would be real easy to set things up, and you have have 30,000 seats off the bat.

Problem is that most Torontonians don't know were it is or that it exists.

boban
03-12-2010, 08:38 AM
you don't want it at BMO because it's too small but you want it played on a canal where there is no stadium???
They run the Toronto Indy with seats for 100,000 people in a place where is no stands for 11 months of the year.

boban
03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
BMO- only 22,000 seats. Not much bigger then the ACC (19,300). So id imagine all the fans who got seasons at the ACC will go to the outdoor games. So really it kills the chance for reguler leaf fans to attend the game. There is the chance of adding maybe 10,000 temp seats. Again how much would that cost?
That's just it. Tonnes of fans can't go to a leaf game locally. And with the venue choice that doesn't change 1 bit. For the NHL, that right there should be the deal breaker. As for 10,000 temp seats - don't know where in God's green earth you could fit that many, especially when they killed a lot with the north stand construction.

Hamilton Ivor Wyne-30,000 seats. Has hosted the Grey Cup with 50,000 seats, with 20,000 temp seats. Ivor Wyne might actually be the best fitted stadium for the outdoor game. But would Toronto want to play in Hamilton?
It held 40,00 actually.

boban
03-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah Ivor Wynne would be real easy to set things up, and you have have 30,000 seats off the bat.

Problem is that most Torontonians don't know were it is or that it exists.
Of course they know it exists. And most know where. Even if they didn't, it would not be hard to find. Silly.

Beach_Red
03-12-2010, 10:21 AM
That's just it. Tonnes of fans can't go to a leaf game locally. And with the venue choice that doesn't change 1 bit. For the NHL, that right there should be the deal breaker.

The thing is, Toronto is the one place the NHL doesn't have to try and "grow the market," so if they're going to do something here it should be something special, something unique.

It should actually be a thank-you for all the support the people here have given the NHL forever. It shouldn't be about selling the most tickets.

Some big outdoor venue, but a free game. Why not? If someone could put togethe the SARS benefit at Downsview there's got to be a way to stage a hockey game as a gift for 100,000 people in Toronto.

greatwhitenorf
03-14-2010, 11:29 PM
As Bill Watters gleefully pointed out recently, MLSE ARE trying to bring a unique perspective to their NHL endeavours.

They're hoping to host the draft even though they don't own a first or second round pick.

They're hoping to host the all-star game even though they don't have an all-star calibre player on their roster.

And they're hoping to stage a prestigious, well-watched outdoor hockey event in a barren tin can of a stadium(his words, remember).

billyfly
03-14-2010, 11:46 PM
If they did it at Ivor Wynne would that cement Hamilton as Leafs territory?

2 birds with 1 stone? Hmmmmm.....

Whoop
03-14-2010, 11:48 PM
As Bill Watters gleefully pointed out recently, MLSE ARE trying to bring a unique perspective to their NHL endeavours.

They're hoping to host the draft even though they don't own a first or second round pick.

They're hoping to host the all-star game even though they don't have an all-star calibre player on their roster.

And they're hoping to stage a prestigious, well-watched outdoor hockey event in a barren tin can of a stadium(his words, remember).

LOL...

The draft in Toronto will only be successful if the Leafs are picking in the top 3.

I don't think Toronto will get the Winter Classic before New York, Minnesota, Washington, etc.

Dirk Diggler
03-15-2010, 12:58 AM
If they did it at Ivor Wynne would that cement Hamilton as Leafs territory?

2 birds with 1 stone? Hmmmmm.....

Cement in what respect? I don't think it will have any official significance that the Leafs would be able to use in the future to prevent an NHL team from propping up in Hamilton.

Also, yeah, this is not gonna happen. I don't think size is an issue (although it might become one if the proposed stadium is going to hold the same or potentially less amount of people than the arena it is going to replace). What is an issue is that a)We are not in the US and b)BMO is not an iconic stadium in the least. The NHL is looking to host the Winter Classic in every significant and iconic stadium it can get its hands on and BMO just does not fill the bill. This is the reason why the NHL execs are so keen on hosting it in Yankee Stadium over other viable alternatives in the NYC region because, for whatever reason, they value an iconic stature of a stadium more than most other factors.

ilikemusic
03-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Size, spectacle and Americana have nothing to do with MLSE's bid for an outdoor game.

There will never be a 'Winter Classic' in Canada, nor will a 'Winter Classic' ever involve a Canadian team. A Canadian outdoor game would be a 'seperate but equal' kind of event.

Burke was on the Fan last week talking about this. MLSE is waiting for word from the league on whether theyre going to do two outdoor games, or just continue with one.

What I suspect is going to happen is the 'Winter Classic' will continue to be the outdoors, American network television event that it has become and the Canadian teams will host a seperate outdoor game, at a different time of the year.

People thinking Toronto is going to host a 'Winter Classic' on NBC at 12pm on New Years Day are either dreaming, or just dont really understand the situation.

What I think is likely is that the game will happen at BMO either in late Novermber/early December, or late January/ early February. They will brand it something Leaf specific, it will be against either Montral or Ottawa, and it will be part of a celebration of the Leafs franchise and hockey in Canada. It will be like a 'Heritage Classic', but in Toronto.

And the draft is stupid. I still dont get why people care where it is held. Its nothing more than a glorified conference call. Its a waste of time and money as far as im concerned.

ElChico
03-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Ivor Wynn had a game in the lock-out year (2005). It rained and generally sucked. Still had close to 20,000

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/04/02/rain050402.html

jayeden
03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
There will never be a 'Winter Classic' in Canada, nor will a 'Winter Classic' ever involve a Canadian team. A Canadian outdoor game would be a 'seperate but equal' kind of event.

the first nhl outdoor winter game was in canada no? and edmonton played no?

stugautz
03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
the first nhl outdoor winter game was in canada no? and edmonton played no?

You are referring to the Heritage classic

icecoldbeer
03-17-2010, 12:21 PM
You are referring to the Heritage classic

Which is the same concept as the Winter Classic. Hockey + Outdoors = Outdoor Hockey Game. Which sounds very Canadian :yum:

ilikemusic
03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Which is the same concept as the Winter Classic. Hockey + Outdoors = Outdoor Hockey Game. Which sounds very Canadian :yum:

Like I was saying, it'll be an outdoor game, it will be a celebration of hockey and Canadiana, but it wont be branded a 'Winter Classic'.

Obviously its the same concept, but it wont be branded like the games at Wrigley or Fenway were.

tfcmanu
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Winter classic will never happen at Rogers Center due to NO DRAINAGE on the field, Rogers Center was made for Closing and opening the roof when weather gets bad or beautiful, if the roof had a problem and there was a down pour there would be a flood on the field and allot of damage. How would all that ice and water be drained and yes they lock the roof in the winter due to freezing the mechanics of the roof.

"The VP of Operations makes the call on the retractable roof, consulting with Tom briefly, but also checking the radar, weather conditions, forecasts, temperature and wind speed before the roof is opened. After every game, approximately 45 minutes to an hour, they close the roof as the stadium is cleared, and open it again a couple of hours before game time. The stadium is not designed inside for exterior elements. There is no drainage for inclement weather."

http://www.whattravelwriterssay.com/torontoontariobaseball.html

:drinking:

menefreghista
03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Like I was saying, it'll be an outdoor game, it will be a celebration of hockey and Canadiana, but it wont be branded a 'Winter Classic'.

Obviously its the same concept, but it wont be branded like the games at Wrigley or Fenway were.

Yup. Most likely in conjunction with Hockey Day in Canada on the CBC.

Canadian Blue
03-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Should this not be in News or All Sports talk?

twistedchinaman
03-18-2010, 12:03 AM
People thinking Toronto is going to host a 'Winter Classic' on NBC at 12pm on New Years Day are either dreaming, or just dont really understand the situation.

I'm sure Leafs-Rangers would draw pretty well. Or Habs-Rangers or Habs-Bruins.

I'm still waiting for Flames-Oilers at McMahon and Commonwealth -- Battle of Alberta ramped up to 11 with 50,000 (yes, temp seats again) at both venues. That'd be off the hook!

twistedchinaman
03-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Good luck about the Winter Classic at BMO...it's probably not going to happen.