PDA

View Full Version : Collins John, Chicago reach deal

jloome
03-10-2010, 11:47 PM
The Insider has learned that the Chicago Fire has reached a tentative contract agreement with Collins John, the Dutch forward who on Tuesday had considered ending his trial and pursuing opportunities in Europe.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-11-2010, 12:24 AM
What can't TFC land someone like this?

Nuvinho
03-11-2010, 07:55 AM
because you must be over 35 years old to come on trial with TFC and have better offers overseas. You name must also contain the letters dic in that particular order.

arbogast
03-11-2010, 09:28 AM
What can't TFC land someone like this?

John played next to McBride at Fulham.
If he had the option between us and them, Chicago would be the obvious choice.

Shaughno
03-11-2010, 09:36 AM
I bet there was no 'choice'. He wouldn't have come here just to play for any club, McBride definitely convinced him IMO.

Detroit_TFC
03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I bet there was no 'choice'. He wouldn't have come here just to play for any club, McBride definitely convinced him IMO.

Even with that, it's taken quite a bit of work to work out a deal with CJ.

Shaughno
03-11-2010, 10:10 AM
That's what I mean, it obviously took some convincing... and does anyone actually think he would have even considered, never mind discussed coming to the MLS without McBride?

Shaughno
03-11-2010, 10:11 AM
And... I just want to add, I think CJ will tear up the MLS this year... especially with the squad that the Fire are shaping up to have. I'm slightly jealous, no lies.

arbogast
03-11-2010, 10:24 AM

I totally agree. It was Chicago or bust. There's no way in hell he would have signed here.

Canary Canuck
03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Shaughno,

Keep in mind this is a guy whose career has totally come off the rails just like Rohan Ricketts. His Fulham days are long behind him. Even though he's only 24 he's bounced around the lower divisions and couldn't even cut it with a Dutch 2nd division club last season. He went into camp with Chicago claiming he wanted a chance at a fresh start and pull his career out of the gutter. It's not like he's flush with better opportunities.

Whoop
03-12-2010, 01:55 PM
It's official.

http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100312&content_id=8766744&vkey=news_chf&fext=.jsp&team=t100

Canary... but to jump on Shags point, at least John has proven he could hack it for a couple of full seasons in the EPL. Ricketts didn't even get that far. John was playing in the Belgian 1st division last season before getting suspended. He never played in the Dutch 2nd division.

Whoop
03-12-2010, 01:58 PM
And playing with McBride will help him out big time.

Shaughno
03-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Exactly Whoop. I thought I posted yesterday, but must have forgot to hit post before I closed the window.

CJ has proven himself, at a much higher level than Ricketts ever did. Sure Ricketts was 'technically' an EPL player, but it's not like anyone even remembers him being there, never mind playing.

Anyone who's followed the EPL for a 5+ years remembers CJ and how bloody dangerous he was in front of goal. Linking him back up with McBride... in a league with MUCH less talent to stop them?

I'll tell you what, I'd put a pint on CJ and McBride racking up more points as a pair than any other team's strikeforce, if we get a season this year...

STB
03-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Exactly Whoop. I thought I posted yesterday, but must have forgot to hit post before I closed the window.

CJ has proven himself, at a much higher level than Ricketts ever did. Sure Ricketts was 'technically' an EPL player, but it's not like anyone even remembers him being there, never mind playing.

Anyone who's followed the EPL for a 5+ years remembers CJ and how bloody dangerous he was in front of goal. Linking him back up with McBride... in a league with MUCH less talent to stop them?

I'll tell you what, I'd put a pint on CJ and McBride racking up more points as a pair than any other team's strikeforce, if we get a season this year...

Couldnt agree more, Collins John was dangerous in the prem. he had all the physical attributes to make it but didnt have the mental from what i watched. However he is older and wiser now, John and Mcbride have the potential to rip this league apart !!!

Yohan
03-13-2010, 08:31 AM
soon, Fire supporters will be saying, Chris Rolfe who? Cuatemoc who?

ag futbol
03-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Not that pre-season means a whole lot, but he seems to be carrying good form. I think he's probably scored in 3/4 of their games which can only bode well for the regular season.

Side note: RSL has signed this guy:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/03/real-salt-lake-signs-saborio.html

Seems to be some decent talent flowing back into the league this year.

Yohan
03-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Not that pre-season means a whole lot, but he seems to be carrying good form. I think he's probably scored in 3/4 of their games which can only bode well for the regular season.

Side note: RSL has signed this guy:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2010/03/real-salt-lake-signs-saborio.html

Seems to be some decent talent flowing back into the league this year.
trying to get a pulse of whether the possible strike is slowing down signing of new players, but kinda hard to figure out

though seems to be more of quality over quantity in signings this season