PDA

View Full Version : Gerba Released

DigzTFC!
06-17-2008, 04:54 AM
The Canadian Ali Gerba will no longer play a role (with the club). The contract of the Canadian international was not extended. Gartner (FCI Sports Director) "The decision was very difficult to make but we are searching for a different type of striker."

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/2bundesliga/startseite/artikel/207419/ (http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/2bundesliga/startseite/artikel/207419/)

I want him on TFC. I think he would would be a potent scorer in this league. If we can manage to get him and a DP and lose Cunny, I will be a happy man.:canada:

denime
06-17-2008, 06:13 AM
It would be nice to see him here,he is probably better than Cunny.
26 years old,a least bring him to tryouts Mo.

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2008, 06:29 AM
It may be time to give him a go. I can't speak for his club play but Gerba's scored as much for Canada this year as Cunny has for TFC. And Gerba may improve with age whereas Cunny is almost ready to call it a career...

trane
06-17-2008, 06:31 AM
From what I have seen of him, he is way better then cunnigham, and is just shy of the quality needed to play in Europe, so he he would be a got target for the MLS.

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 06:33 AM
I say do it up!
But is he DP $$$ worthy?
That's the question...

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Not DP worthy but he deserves a good offer. More team Canada playing together please!

trane
06-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Here is a link to his wiki page, for those interested. For the most part he has had a good strike rate evrywere he has played. But he has always played in relatively weak leagues. In Sweden, he was with a top club, but while Sweden has some great players few play in Sweden, and hence it is not the strongest of leagues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Gerba

Still I have seen him play and I think he would be a quality striker in the MLS.

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 06:43 AM
I'd love to see him here.
No harm in extending a trail offer to him.
Trade Cunny for $$$ and then sign Gerba for the same price virtually?

brad
06-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Very much the sort of player we should look at, even if it' for depth on the bench.

rocker
06-17-2008, 07:51 AM
why does he keep playing so few games at many different teams?

jabbronies
06-17-2008, 07:57 AM
I think he gets over-hyped. Then once he's on the field, the teams realize he's not as good as they thought.

why does he keep playing so few games at many different teams?

DigzTFC!
06-17-2008, 07:58 AM
Lets just say he is definetely on the TFC radar. Nick Dasovic has been working with him for the last 3 weeks, watching him net two against St.Vinny. How good was that hire by Mo? How good are our drafts? Mo is the man. Daryl Roberts, Joseph Lapira...guys that may not make it in Europe's highlest level, but might develop into guys for MLS.:hump:

Ossington Mental Youth
06-17-2008, 08:02 AM
I gotta say im skeptical but the fact he performs consistently for Canada does make you turn your head. Give him a trial and let Mo and JC decide. They do know whats best.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-17-2008, 08:05 AM
I gotta say ill be a little bit surprised if he doesnt turn up for a trial (unless of course hes headed to another team in Europe)

DigzTFC!
06-17-2008, 08:19 AM
My bet is he wants to make it in europe. He's tried enough times that he looks determined. I really think he would do well in this league. What people keep overlooking is the hardship North American players have in making it. Clubs prefer europeans. In europe, if you mess up, you are gone, especailly if you are foreign. Look what happened to Rohan Ricketts and he's british. Its easy to get cut. I think he has a lot of promise. He's 25. Lets try that again 25. Full international. Scores in bunches. Poacher. He would be way more effective than Cunny

Razcle
06-17-2008, 08:28 AM
There is no way in hell he is DP money. I wouldn't pay him any more than 200K to come play for us. That is obviously because of our salary cap restrictions, but as I said last year, I think he could be a favourable addition to this club

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 08:37 AM
I don't think we could get him. I'd hope Dasovic is talking to him but Gerba seems destined in Europe. Not only that, but he can probably make a good deal more money over there.
But man I'd love to see Gerba in a TFC kit.

olegunnar
06-17-2008, 09:02 AM
Interesting timing on the release

Northern Soul
06-17-2008, 09:10 AM
He would probably be a good pickup, but would once again leave us short on international dates. When Canada plays, Gerba plays.

DigzTFC!
06-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Why interesting timing...the german season is over. No point in holding on to him. Am I missing something?

noochie
06-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Why interesting timing...the german season is over. No point in holding on to him. Am I missing something?

Perhaps that the North American transfer window opened 2 days ago AND MLS does not like paying transfer fees? ;)

olegunnar
06-17-2008, 09:23 AM

I'm just saying most players know they'll be released at the end of the season, so basically end of April or the first week in May. For example Huckerby was released May 9th. The last Bundesliga 2 game was a month ago, May 18th. These aren't spur of the moment decisions.

Now, right when the MLS transfer window opens up suddenly Gerba is released and would be available for free. It's like how Ricketts got released when we wanted him.

If we had no part in this, then why wasn't he released at the end of the season rather than right when we're capable of signing him.

That's the thinking. Nothing concrete, just saying the timing raises interesting talking points.

DigzTFC!
06-17-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm just saying most players know they'll be released at the end of the season, so basically end of April or the first week in May. For example Huckerby was released May 9th. The last Bundesliga 2 game was a month ago, May 18th. These aren't spur of the moment decisions.

Now, right when the MLS transfer window opens up suddenly Gerba is released and would be available for free. It's like how Ricketts got released when we wanted him.

If we had no part in this, then why wasn't he released at the end of the season rather than right when we're capable of signing him.

That's the thinking. Nothing concrete, just saying the timing raises interesting talking points.

Nice insight. Didn't think of it that way. This was also in the post at the voyageur board.

The decision probably has something to do with Ingolstadt signing former Czech international striker Vratislav Lokvenc from C Basel. Gerba scored 4 goals in 15 games with Ingolstadt this year.

I'm trying to find when this guy signed with Ingolstadt.

Edit: Lokvenc was signed yesterday. I think they liked Gerba but this guy was their better option. Look for Gerba to sign in Europe again

rocker
06-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Perhaps that the North American transfer window opened 2 days ago AND MLS does not like paying transfer fees? ;)

what's the deal with the window.. I see June 15 on the MLS site, but then today in Steve Goff's blog Frankie Yallop is quoted as saying July 15.

"Hopefully, come July 15 [when the transfer window opens], there are some new players to add to our team and that will give us a bit more consistency," Frank Yallop said.

MUFC_Niagara
06-17-2008, 09:36 AM

haha...ya u missed something ^^^^

arsenal
06-17-2008, 09:37 AM
36 goals in 100+ USL games through 2005 and then 13 goals in 50+ games in Scandanavia/lower tier Germany are not exactly stellar numbers. Saw him play in person in the friendly game versus Costa Rica and he looked good. Would be nice to get him on the team for depth, but to be honest Samuel seemed similar but more talented.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Not DP worthy but he deserves a good offer. More team Canada playing together please!

its canada national team...not the team canada crap thats for the hockey losers

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-17-2008, 09:39 AM
From what I have seen of him, he is way better then cunnigham, and is just shy of the quality needed to play in Europe, so he he would be a got target for the MLS.

i doubt he is better the cuny...cunny has been getting a rough ride on these boards...none of them deserved...hea a great player and we need him.

Lucky Strike
06-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I'd be nice to have him around for a 150-200k price but I'm keeping my expectations low: the timing and opportunity (Canadian with skill) just seem too perfect. If we do sign him, do we still need a DP striker or will he do?

DigzTFC!
06-17-2008, 09:41 AM
haha...ya u missed something ^^^^

Welcome to the conversation. Nice contribution. Any further insights are welcomed

rocker
06-17-2008, 09:54 AM
I'd be nice to have him around for a 150-200k price but I'm keeping my expectations low: the timing and opportunity (Canadian with skill) just seem too perfect. If we do sign him, do we still need a DP striker or will he do?

for sure we still need a DP striker. Gerba would be a backup.

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 10:01 AM
i doubt he is better the cuny...cunny has been getting a rough ride on these boards...none of them deserved...hea a great player and we need him.

Are you crazy?! Gerba not better than Cunny?!
Gerba= regularly plays on the national squad. Cunny?
Besides in the few times I've seen Gerba play, he doesn't stand around, esp. on penalty kicks...
I like Cunny as a videographer. lol Maybe we could trade CV2 and keep Cunny for TFC tv. :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Are you crazy?! Gerba not better than Cunny?!
Gerba= regularly plays on the national squad. Cunny?
Besides in the few times I've seen Gerba play, he doesn't stand around, esp. on penalty kicks...
I like Cunny as a videographer. lol Maybe we could trade CV2 and keep Cunny for TFC tv. :D

but Gerba is only the Canadian national team...its not like were talking brazil here, Canada takes anyone who can kick a ball. Cunny has 99 league goals,Gerba?

rocker
06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
cunny has done more at equal or higher levels than gerba.

although cunny's scoring rate has dropped off in the past 12 months, so he's not worth $250K. But that doesn't mean gerba is worth 250K or even 150K.. and it doesn't mean we should stop our search with gerba. personally I think TFC can do better than cunny and gerba in the market.

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 10:13 AM
but Gerba is only the Canadian national team...its not like were talking brazil here, Canada takes anyone who can kick a ball. Cunny has 99 league goals,Gerba?

Gerba is also younger and has more international goals than Cunny if you want to spin it that way.
Also ofcoarse Gerba has 0 league goals, he hasn't played in MLS.

Lastly, Cunny seems to be out only forhimself and not the team. I think that was quite obvious during his interview on TFC TV. If the cap was higher, sure it would be nice to have both, but the reality is it's not at the moment.

I don't think Gerba is DP material.

DigzTFC!
06-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I think Gerba is a better solution at present than Cunny. Cunny played with the most amount of fire that we've seen all season against the rapids because he wanted 100. He didn't get it and missed some absolute sitters with the head. Gerba is better now. I can't compare their early careers because I didn't follow MLS. How anyone could think Cunny is good and watch all his games is really beyond me. He plays like U-12. Everytime someone passes it he runs straight and hopes it gets past defenders.

trane
06-17-2008, 10:22 AM

I like Cunny, and I have not been giving him a hard time, but from what I have seen Gerba is better, he is quicker at taking a shot, he has a better shot, and is stronger positionaly an physicaly then Cunny.

trane
06-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I think Gerba is a better solution at present than Cunny. Cunny played with the most amount of fire that we've seen all season against the rapids because he wanted 100. He didn't get it and missed some absolute sitters with the head. Gerba is better now. I can't compare their early careers because I didn't follow MLS. How anyone could think Cunny is good and watch all his games is really beyond me. He plays like U-12. Everytime someone passes it he runs straight and hopes it gets past defenders.

That is exactly right, that is how he plays, and what the style in the MLS was untill now. Gerba has more tools in his arsenal , and should be better suited to the Euopean style game we play.

Billy the kid
06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
If we got the money I say make him an offer and keep Cunny too. Let them battle it out for a spot with Dichio. The competition might make them both better. If a DP comes along, then they might have to look at cutting somebody loose. Until then why not try to have them all.

Keyman
06-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Ali Gerba is an enigma at the club level, which is the only thing that scares me. However, he's the type of player that gives it his all when he steps on the pitch, which is a far cry from the mindset Cunningham has, and his drive to perform and ability to score crucial goals (at least at the international level) would benefit us greatly. He seems to capitalize on most of the chances that are presented to him when he plays for Canada, but as I said before, this success has not translated to the club level. He has never stuck with a club for more than two years, which is obviously not a good stat for a striker, and his strike rate at the club level is less than impressive.

It's really hard for anyone to say, with certainty, that we will see the Canadian international Gerba, and not the club level Gerba. Anyone throwing around DP with Gerba, should re-consider what they are saying. It's really hard for any of us to look at the situation and judge it well, because we simply have not seen enough of him. Those who are Canadian soccer fans, have seen the best of Gerba, but there are always two sides to a player. And whether we will see the good, or the bad Gerba, is the question that Mo and JC have to ask themselves before they consider him.

Let's put it at, I'm skeptical of Gerba. I'm not as sold on him as everyone seems to be.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Uh no DP.
Trial and sign at a reasonable fee but no DP

Razcle
06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
He would probably be a good pickup, but would once again leave us short on international dates. When Canada plays, Gerba plays.

When Canada Plays...Gerba plays??? What Canadian Team are you watching...Gerba has probably only been named to half of the Canadian squads at best over the last couple years. We have a few decent strikers that could top him.....Bob Friend and Ian Hume name two off the top of my head.

Mo Johnson looked at Gerba when he was released last winter and didn't sound like he wanted him...what has he done differently now?

Northern Soul
06-17-2008, 01:20 PM
When Canada Plays...Gerba plays??? What Canadian Team are you watching...Gerba has probably only been named to half of the Canadian squads at best over the last couple years. We have a few decent strikers that could top him.....Bob Friend and Ian Hume name two off the top of my head.

Mo Johnson looked at Gerba when he was released last winter and didn't sound like he wanted him...what has he done differently now?

So he plays half of Canada's games. That's still a handful of games that TFC doesn't have him if we signed him.

Northern Soul
06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
cunny has done more at equal or higher levels than gerba.

Umm....

Cunningham - International Appearances (11)
- Goals (0)

Gerba - International Appearances (17)
- Goals (7)

Cambridge_Red
06-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Uhh.. Could be a decent bench player, but we need a top class finisher.

TFC-Tyler
06-17-2008, 02:32 PM
its canada national team...not the team canada crap thats for the hockey losersDont be a fucking prick. It doesnt matter what he calls them, ignorant asshole.

LOL wow, that post explains everything. You're retarded.

TFC-Tyler
06-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Canada doesnt take anyone who can kick a ball, dont be an idiot and insult your national team.

Obviously Gerba has no goals, he's never played in the league! Ugh. Cristiano Ronaldo has 0 league goals, whereas Cunny has 99. Using your logic Cunny is better player.

You dont watch the games do you? Anyone who does, sees that Cunny is no good.

ExiledRed
06-17-2008, 02:46 PM
OK, tactically without financial considerations here, Gerba for Cunningham would be a no brainer.

Cunningham is not a better player, in any shape or form. He's older, he doesnt understand the game at the level MLS has risen to, he fails far too often and wastes incredible plays.

Gerba would fill a domestic canadian slot and provide way more options up front.

Now if he'd do it for Cunny's salary is another matter.

Jack
06-17-2008, 02:49 PM
I doubt he has more talent than Cunny, to be honest, but at this point, I'd rather have him than Cunny, who's proven he's a useless twat.

I defended Cunny a lot last year, but he's constantly disappointed me to the extent that now he's my least favourite player on TFC. The penalty in Columbus, the lack of effort in games, the cluelessness when it comes to interacting with his midfielders, the selfishness of his play. All of these things have worked to erode my faith in him. He's scored two timely goals for us this season, but he's missed a shitload of chances he should have buried.

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Man, I'm almost at the point where I'd rather see Lombardo over Cunny, atleast Lombardo tries!

TFC-Tyler
06-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Now if he'd do it for Cunny's salary is another matter.
Yep, only problem. I really think Gerba is being underrated here. He comes to TFC, he's no bench player, he starts.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Not sure if it’s fair to say Gerba is better than Cunningham, particularly from the club perspective. I think Gerba is more in keeping with what TFC are looking for at the striker position - a dynamic and powerful player (or put simply a faster version of Dichio).

Right now Cunningham is in decline and seems more focussed on scoring from the perspective of his quest for 100 goals than anything else. It’s difficult to say how Gerba would see playing with TFC - a great opportunity to play at home or a poor substitute for Europe. It’s a gamble I think TFC should take, but to say Gerba’s CV is miles better than Cunningham’s is unfair.

T_Mizz
06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Cunny has used up all his finish and I don't know what you guys are watching but Ali Gerba is CONCACAF's Milan Baros He plays so well for his country but sucks for his club. Still I'd love to see him get a shot here.

ag futbol
06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Ok Gerba has decent game, let's see if he's willing to pull his head out of his ass to come here at this point.

This guy wanted 300k to play for us last time he was a free agent. Let's see what his better judgement says now.

Bobo
06-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Mo needs to give him a shot even if just through obligation, and there definitely should be an obligation.

Dirk Diggler
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Gerba >>> Cunny. Not that Gerba is the ultimate striker but he is most definitely an improvement over Cunny. He is younger, better shape physically and mentally and he's Canadian. We would still need a DP striker but Gerba would make a great depth striker none the less.

TFC-Tyler
06-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Ok Gerba has decent game, let's see if he's willing to pull his head out of his ass to come here at this point.

This guy wanted 300k to play for us last time he was a free agent. Let's see what his better judgement says now.
MLSE is loaded. Honestly, give him 300k for the rest of the year and see what he does. That's nothing really, and it's a short term investment. People are acting like TFC is on a budget (other than the salary cap).

ag futbol
06-17-2008, 06:33 PM
MLSE is loaded. Honestly, give him 300k for the rest of the year and see what he does. That's nothing really, and it's a short term investment. People are acting like TFC is on a budget (other than the salary cap).
Because of the cap, that's exactly what we are under.

We have to fit him under our cap.

TFC-Tyler
06-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Because of the cap, that's exactly what we are under.

We have to fit him under our cap.
And 300k for the reast of the year fits under the cap I believe...

And if I'm mistaken, bye bye Cunny, Gerba is better than him, thats a fact to anyone who knows anything about soccer.

ag futbol
06-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Cunny earns around 200 or so i believe. I think you are right we do have probably close to 300k in space. While we don't want to leave it idle, maybe we've got some signings in the works or ideas how to fill it.

We could pay him 300k, but i honestly believe we could get away with starting him out for less.

TFC-Tyler
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Cunny earns around 200 or so i believe. I think you are right we do have probably close to 300k in space. While we don't want to leave it idle, maybe we've got some signings in the works or ideas how to fill it.

We could pay him 300k, but i honestly believe we could get away with starting him out for less.
Yeah, I admittedly dont know a whole lot about MLS salaries, but after reading how he originally wanted 300k, I wasnt sure if his stock had risen, fallen, or stayed the same since then. Either way, maybe it's my patriotic side coming out, or my frustration with Cunny reaching the breaking point, I'd just love to see him in a TFC uniform.

Jack
06-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Remember that a DP counts for $200k against the salary cap for the half-season.

jloome
06-18-2008, 09:49 AM
36 goals in 100+ USL games through 2005 and then 13 goals in 50+ games in Scandanavia/lower tier Germany are not exactly stellar numbers. Saw him play in person in the friendly game versus Costa Rica and he looked good. Would be nice to get him on the team for depth, but to be honest Samuel seemed similar but more talented.

That's scary but probably true. Gerba is not good enough to lead us upfront, period. He probably wouldn't be better than Cunny, who may only score one-in-six attempts but still has had a stellar scoring career compared to Gerba.

Gerba spent most of this season with Ingolstadt's reserve team, which plays in the regional semi-pro league, and he wasn't very effective there, either. I'm all for bringing in Canadians, but he's not the level of quality we should be looking for. We need a natural finisher, not an occasional poacher.