PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,Mar.09

denime
03-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Mornin'

Carl Robinson deserved a proper send-off from TFC (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2010/03/carl_robinson_deserved_a_prope.html)

Carl who? (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/03/08/robinson_tfc/)

TFC’s Robinson sent packing (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/776972--tfc-s-robinson-sent-packing)

No excuses for de Guzman this season (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/no-excuses-for-de-guzman-this-season/article1494182/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Shway
03-09-2010, 07:34 AM
mornin' d

zamperina
03-09-2010, 07:48 AM
All-Star sunshine girl week continues...BOOYAH!

keem-o-sabi
03-09-2010, 07:51 AM
coed ladies 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/03/06/miss-coed-tara-renee/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/03/08/bar-refaeli-is-todays-daily-snapshot-7/)

canadian_bhoy
03-09-2010, 08:26 AM
ouchy wouchy

from CBC
"TFC's shoddy treatment of its beloved players hasn't gone unnoticed and it's only a matter of time before other players around the league and the team's loyal fans turn their backs on the club."

rocker
03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm trying to figure out from Molinaro what he means by a proper sendoff? And what if you don't know by November that you're not signing the player -- but then in the offseason he goes?

Do you have to tell fans in October "look, we may not be signing Carl Robinson again... but we're not sure. But come out to the final game and say goodbye to Carl just in case. We'll parade Carl around the ground at the final game... but if he signs with us again, the parade will have just been a practice for when he says he's retiring." ;)

ManUtd4ever
03-09-2010, 08:45 AM
[/URL]

[URL="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/no-excuses-for-de-guzman-this-season/article1494182/"]No excuses for de Guzman this season (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/776972--tfc-s-robinson-sent-packing)

Good article by Paul James regarding the need for JDG to adapt to a more offensive role worthy of DP status. I could't agree more...

flatpicker
03-09-2010, 08:54 AM
regarding the "proper sendoff" for Carl
- I don't think it has anything to do with a game day "goodbye" for the fans.
It's more a matter of having a press conference and saying goodbye through the media.
Rather than simply disappearing.

And as for the SSG...
Holy Crap! RED HOT!

koryo
03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
regarding the "proper sendoff" for Carl
- I don't think it has anything to do with a game day "goodbye" for the fans.
It's more a matter of having a press conference and saying goodbye through the media.
Rather than simply disappearing.

And as for the SSG...
Holy Crap! RED HOT!

Just going about it decently would be enough, as opposed to just dumping him on the curb. In light of how they treated Dichio, you have to be a bloody fool to take an apologist's stance on the matter.

flatpicker
03-09-2010, 09:04 AM
^ so you agree with what I'm saying?

koryo
03-09-2010, 09:09 AM
^ so you agree with what I'm saying?

Yes. Just quoting yours to put my post in context. The "you" isn't "you" specifically. A better turn of phrase would be to use "one", but that's anachronistic language usage :)

Parkdale
03-09-2010, 09:18 AM
it was a bullshit way to announce that Robbo was leaving.

the first 'official' word was Preki in an interview at the side of a training field somewhere.

"So, Carl is gone?"
"Yeah that's what I've heard"

someone fucking botched this one BIG TIME, but it's starting to be no surprise when that happens.

Fuck... there was more coverage when Bonner left the raptors!

spark
03-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Ahh it's deja vu all over again. Maybe a strike wouldn't be such a bad thing!!

EXIT CARL STAGE LEFT (http://www.rednationonline.ca/exit_carl_stage_left_mar_8_10_column.shtml)

Parkdale
03-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Ahh it's deja vu all over again. Maybe a strike wouldn't be such a bad thing!!

EXIT CARL STAGE LEFT (http://www.rednationonline.ca/exit_carl_stage_left_mar_8_10_column.shtml)

the strike wouldn't do anything to improve how TFC manages themselves.
that's the problem here - not the players, not the league, the front office's 'PR/HR' department (and overall lack of tact and respect for players)

drewski
03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
that's the problem here - not the players, not the league, the front office's 'PR/HR' department (and overall lack of tact and respect for players)

+1

the only way it might affect any changes in the TFC FO is if the strike hurts the league enough to kill it (unlikely but possible in theory)

CretanBull
03-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Sadly, the list of things that TFC/MLSE haven't fucked up is much shorter than the list of things they have fucked up...and no one is ever held accountable, and the fuck-up in chief gets a contract extention.

drewski
03-09-2010, 09:41 AM
regardless how how the FO handled it. I'm sure we'll give him a good pre-game thank you, a la Darcy Tucker or Mats Sundin, when the shite bulls come to town

koryo
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Sadly, the list of things that TFC/MLSE haven't fucked up is much shorter than the list of things they have fucked up...and no one is ever held accountable, and the fuck-up in chief gets a contract extention.

Anyone else who is so bloody useless in their position gets the sack, it has to be said.

James17930
03-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I think this whole thing is being way overblown. The guy's only been here three years, I mean, players in other leagues, and other sports, don't always get a 'send-off' or whatever. And it's the off-season -- what are they supposed to do?

I agree with drewski -- a quick thank you the next time he plays at BMO and that will be sufficient.

drewski
03-09-2010, 09:46 AM
I think this whole thing is being way overblown. The guy's only been here three years, I mean, players in other leagues, and other sports, don't always get a 'send-off' or whatever. And it's the off-season -- what are they supposed to do?

something, anything, other than some off-handed comment during a scrum, which I consider to be disrespectful to somebody who has been an important part of this team from the beginning. Would a simple press conference, with or without Robbo, been too much to ask?

boban
03-09-2010, 09:53 AM
And as for the SSG...
Holy Crap! RED HOT!
No shit.
I could swear she looks awfully alike to a girl I saw in church Saturday night. (No Joke)

spark
03-09-2010, 09:55 AM

I meant it tongue in cheek! And you are dead on. Maybe we haven't signed any players because everyone's figured out what you've just said (lack of respect), chances are most players now know it as well.

James17930
03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
something, anything, other than some off-handed comment during a scrum, which I consider to be disrespectful to somebody who has been an important part of this team from the beginning. Would a simple press conference, with or without Robbo, been too much to ask?

One thing everyone's overlooking here is Robbo.

Did he want a send-off? Would he have participated in a press conference?

Everyone just makes assumptions and states them as fact all the time . . .

Roogsy
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
ouchy wouchy

from CBC
"TFC's shoddy treatment of its beloved players hasn't gone unnoticed and it's only a matter of time before other players around the league and the team's loyal fans turn their backs on the club."

Exactly.

Except when some of us were saying this last year during the Danny situation, a lot of RUs on here were poo-poohing the concept.

The fact is that each time they do this to a player, they increase their reputation as douchebags to players everywhere making Toronto an unattractive place to play regardless of what the TFC FO claim.

drewski
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
One thing everyone's overlooking here is Robbo.

Did he want a send-off? Would he have participated in a press conference?

Everyone just makes assumptions and states them as fact all the time . . .

I didn't assume anything, hence the "or without" part. A press conf would have also shown respect to the fans who loved him

James17930
03-09-2010, 10:01 AM
A press conference without the player? I've never seen that.

They could've put a 'good-bye' montage up the website or something. But really I don't know what more they could have done.

Roogsy
03-09-2010, 10:02 AM
someone fucking botched this one BIG TIME, but it's starting to be no surprise when that happens.

Shocking this is.

If only I could communicate the extreme sarcasm in my statement. :frown2:

James17930
03-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't know, guys. I still think this really isn't as big a deal as people are making out.

Roogsy
03-09-2010, 10:05 AM
A press conference without the player? I've never seen that.

They could've put a 'good-bye' montage up the website or something. But really I don't know what more they could have done.

I think they mean more "press statement" rather than the coach being asked and shrugging his shoulders with wonderment.

Mo has been playing hide and seek all off-season long. I am sick and tired of it. There is no accountability with him. The proper behaviour in this would be for Mo to grant an interview indicating they had released Robbo and thanking him for his services to the club. No huge press conference in the media room. No send-off at the stadium. Just a tactful, respectful acknowledgement of Robbo's contributions.

Instead...it's like he never existed. I can't believe there would be anyone who could excuse TFC on this especially after the drama of Danny last year. You'd think they would learn...not to mention we would be less prone to defend them.

Roogsy
03-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't know, guys. I still think this really isn't as big a deal as people are making out.

It's indicative of how things are being run at this club. And it should concern all fans because it affects the players, our ability to bring in new players and in the end, the product on the pitch.

James17930
03-09-2010, 10:09 AM
It's indicative of how things are being run at this club. And it should concern all fans because it affects the players, our ability to bring in new players and in the end, the product on the pitch.

We win the season opener I bet you $10 no one will be talking about this anymore ;)

boban
03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
We win the season opener I bet you $10 no one will be talking about this anymore ;)
Like Roogsy said, its indicative of how things are run at the club.
There is a history there. Now you think magically this will all disappear?
And winning game 1 will erase that?? IF we win it!!!!!!!!!

James17930
03-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Like Roogsy said, its indicative of how things are run at the club.
There is a history there. Now you think magically this will all disappear?
And winning game 1 will erase that?? IF we win it!!!!!!!!!

These types of things only seem to rear their ugly heads in the off-season and when we're losing.

Winning makes all problems go away. That's true anywhere.

drewski
03-09-2010, 10:15 AM

we might not, but players still will and that will affect us down the line

TFC's shoddy treatment of its beloved players hasn't gone unnoticed and it's only a matter of time before other players around the league and the team's loyal fans turn their backs on the club.

James17930
03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
^Maybe, but I still think first and foremost players want to play for winning teams, and if we're winning, that will top all other considerations.

If we're a still a bunch of losers by the end of the this year, then yeah, look out.

boban
03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
These types of things only seem to rear their ugly heads in the off-season and when we're losing.

You are right about that. But you don't wish for wins. You have to take steps to make them happen.
We got rid of a bunch of players, but have no replacements, let alone quality replacements. That goes nothing for addressing the scoring ineptitude we continually have up front.
Are you just going to click your heels and wins will come?

James17930
03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
You are right about that. But you don't wish for wins. You have to take steps to make them happen.
We got rid of a bunch of players, but have no replacements, let alone quality replacements. That goes nothing for addressing the scoring ineptitude we continually have up front.
Are you just going to click your heels and wins will come?

No -- I would release Robbo and Garcia and get better players.

So we're already half-way there . . . ;)

reggie
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
the PR on this club is brutal and soon MO will go into hiding again...

Lucky Strike
03-09-2010, 10:51 AM

the first 'official' word was Preki in an interview at the side of a training field somewhere.

"So, Carl is gone?"

It's that media relations lady (Michelle something) that apparently gets paid to do nothing. My god, where else would a set of supporters get on the media relations officer's back (in addition to the usual suspects: players, coaches, management)? That's how bad things are with her.

dupont
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
The Toronto media is always looking to blow up some scandal but I'm tired of it at this point. I don't care how players leave or what kind of PR they should do. It's been 3 seasons with no playoffs and that is the only thing I care about. Stop asking the players about Carl Robinson and start asking them how they are gonna fucking win games.
I understand the media is supposed to hold the players/coaches/management accountable but right now the only guaranteed accountability I want is Mo fired unless this is a playoff season.

Beach_Red
03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
The Toronto media is always looking to blow up some scandal but I'm tired of it at this point. I don't care how players leave or what kind of PR they should do. It's been 3 seasons with no playoffs and that is the only thing I care about. Stop asking the players about Carl Robinson and start asking them how they are gonna fucking win games.
I understand the media is supposed to hold the players/coaches/management accountable but right now the only guaranteed accountability I want is Mo fired unless this is a playoff season.

Yes, this is it exactly. The media loves drama, it's the biggest problem with media these days, but they may be giving the fans what they want. Fans seem to love drama, too. Rarely do fans in Toronto demand winning - the fans here are always stuck on personalities, they pick favourites, they pick goats and obsess on the drama.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes, this is it exactly. The media loves drama, it's the biggest problem with media these days, but they may be giving the fans what they want. Fans seem to love drama, too. Rarely do fans in Toronto demand winning - the fans here are always stuck on personalities, they pick favourites, they pick goats and obsess on the drama.

prob one of the best things ive read in this forum recently

felipe
03-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Honestly, I think interest in TFC is steadily decreasing - how they treat their personalities is part of the reason; if there is a strike or lock-out, good-bye MLS and good-bye TFC, the fairweather fans (who, to be fair, make up the bulk of the stadium) will never come back

James17930
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM

I agree.

I think most people are just using this as an excuse to vent. Like I said, if we start winning, no one will care.

icecoldbeer
03-09-2010, 11:37 AM

I think its a big deal since TFC has only been around for 3 years. Ya the situation sucks. I don't want the hole MLSE video montage of players past that they do for the Leafs (i.e. Darcy Tucker, Vince Carter - Sundin was on a different level). If they cleaned the mess up from the beginning then all would be said and done. Instead he got a sendoff suitable for Garcia.

backbeat
03-09-2010, 11:48 AM
It's even made the BBC news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/league_of_wales/8558055.stm

Whoop
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Decisions like letting Robinson go to NYRB are made all the time. It's a tough decision, but it's the business of the game. Anyone involved in the game knows that. And a fan, I can live with that. (Though even as a business it's a poor one. If NYRB covered the whole salary, then it would be a good move.)

But issuing a proper press release BEFORE the news got out or even having the appropriate people talk about the decision (i.e. Johnston, Robinson... not necessarily in a press conference situation) instead of being treated like a trialist and unceremoniously kicked to the curb is ridiculous.

The PR side of this team is atrocious. And yes, as Roogsy and others point out, it does reflect poorly on the club. It's just an indicator of how you'll be treated at the club.

I think this is one area that MLSE, with all their properties, is absolutely terrible at.

Which is a point I was making earlier in the Leafs thread about corporations owning teams. To a corporation, you're just a number, easily kicked aside. And if you want to complain or speak up whether as a player or as a fan, who do you talk to? There is no heart.

So if you don't care about me, why should I care about you attitude permeates the whole club.

rocker
03-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Which is a point I was making earlier in the Leafs thread about corporations owning teams. To a corporation, you're just a number, easily kicked aside. And if you want to complain or speak up whether as a player or as a fan, who do you talk to? There is no heart.

So if you don't care about me, why should I care about you attitude permeates the whole club.

I don't think it's corporations. I've seen single owners treat players like shit. Actually, the single owner can be worse because then ego comes into play. The owner uses the team like a toy of his own, often even making player decisions.

I wouldn't worry about any negative effect on other players coming in. Teams do this all the time. You can go around the league and see veteran players gone (think of Hartman in KC or Van Den Burgh in Dallas... or even Ralston from NE). Most of the players are represented by the same agents in MLS anyways, so they can deal with it. It's a fact of player life to move around (see Gerba, for example).

If anything, MoJo looks better to agents because he overpays for players. And then when he gets rid of players they often get a payoff anyways (which means they still get their $$$$).

scooter
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
i agree that carl should have had a better send off from our point of veiw

preki kind of hinted that carl wasnt interested in playing here - no surprise

so maybe carl did not want anything done and since he was probably told to keep his mouth shut decided to quietly leave town after all he is a class act

i am off to check the wales newspaper

Roogsy
03-09-2010, 01:50 PM

How often does that happen???

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM

"So, Carl is gone?"

have to agree.......its a discrace....he's been around since day one! It should count for something!

ag futbol
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Oh so if we win games this just all goes away, and if you win the lottery you don't have to worry about money. But what reasonable evidence to we have (based on past experience) to suggest we will start winning this year?

Because all I see is a backline the average MLS team would have their mouth watering to face, no proven wing players signed, and still no potent striker. On top of that, we've lost some valuable pieces from last year.

Sounds like we're hoping shit turns into ice cream and the (as usual) late signings materialize. It's pretty clear this is no way to run a team.

koryo
03-09-2010, 02:33 PM
It won't go away this time, because I'm afraid the team we have right now isn't capable of winning.

boban
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Oh so if we win games this just all goes away, and if you win the lottery you don't have to worry about money. But what reasonable evidence do we have (based on past experience) to suggest we will start winning this year?

Because all I see is a backline the average MLS team would have their mouth watering to face, no proven wing players signed, and still no potent striker. On top of that, we've lost some valuable pieces from last year.

Sounds like we're hoping shit turns into ice cream and the (as usual) late signings materialize. It's pretty clear this is no way to run a team.
Pretty much what I was trying to say all along.

Well said. :hurray:
Love that line in bold. lol

TFC Cityboy
03-09-2010, 03:32 PM
It won't go away this time, because I'm afraid the team we have right now isn't capable of winning.

bloody right. If we start the season without adding depth to this squad, we'll make Portsmouth look competitive.

Eastend
03-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Shit, now we're losing even in the off-season? :rolleyes:

mastermixer
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
And the best part is, Preki doesnt seem any more confident than we do... have you heard his last few pressers? Not much positivity there.

algieb
03-09-2010, 07:26 PM
toronto have lost 2 international players, that some say were crap, robinson ,guevera, prey someone tell me where we are going to get people to replace them , for the money they were on not big money for football players ,ie the threat off strike action by players, action like this by tfc will be noticed by other players asked to come to tfc and will surely work against the club in the long term.

v00d00daddy
03-09-2010, 08:45 PM
So let's all pretend that they gave a press conference yesterday with Mo and Preki where they politely said something to the effect of:

"Carl is moving on in his career. It's for the best for both sides. We wish him well."

Would that have made getting rid of him any more palatable?

There still would have been people here talking about how he was shoved out the door, mis-treated like Dichio and replaced by an overpaid/overhyped DP in JDG.

Point is this: It was never going to end well with Robbo (for some people) unless he played until he was 40 and then became a coach for this club.

The adoration he recieved was way over the top in my opinion.

I'll be interested to see if any team even chooses to pick him. I wouldn't be surprised if he can't find a job in MLS unless he takes a HUGE pay cut.

v00d00daddy
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
toronto have lost 2 international players, that some say were crap, robinson ,guevera, prey someone tell me where we are going to get people to replace them , for the money they were on not big money for football players ,ie the threat off strike action by players, action like this by tfc will be noticed by other players asked to come to tfc and will surely work against the club in the long term.

lol...uhh TFC replaced Robbo in the off season last year when they drafted Sam Cronin....and then added JDG to the roster.

As for Guevara...he won't be replaced so easily. As it stands..no replacement for him.

James17930
03-09-2010, 09:36 PM

Quite possible -- that's why I said 'if' ;)

DOMIN8R
03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I agree.

I think most people are just using this as an excuse to vent. Like I said, if we start winning, no one will care.

I don't disagree.

We have been losers for 3 years now. But up until the last 1/3 of the 2010 season - at least we had class. The team exhibited high spirits, the NA media gave us kudos, various MLS team management respected us and players wanted to play here (except for the turf).

But now the franchise is exhibiting a lack of class and integrity.

DD - say not more.

Now various MLS team managers, players and the media question the franchises morality. Don't get me wrong - I understand the profit motive. But I'm starting to feel like my team doesn't represent our values. Carl slipped in form - but he always showed class.

Players who give their all deserve to be treated well! Period. Full stop.

We may loose but at least we had class.

Now we loose and we also have no class.

Out of the mouths of babes - my son asked me whether the team would throw a party for the departing Robo. I thought to myself - no, and in fact - they won't even stop to recognize his contribution to our team over the past 3 year.

Perhaps I've just lost my TFC innocence. I just thought the franchise was better than that.

v00d00daddy
03-09-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't disagree.

We have been losers for 3 years now. But up until the last 1/3 of the 2010 season - at least we had class. The team exhibited high spirits, the NA media gave us kudos, various MLS team management respected us and players wanted to play here (except for the turf).

But now the franchise is exhibiting a lack of class and integrity.

DD - say not more.

Now various MLS team managers, players and the media question the franchises morality. Don't get me wrong - I understand the profit motive. But I'm starting to feel like my team doesn't represent our values. Carl slipped in form - but he always showed class.

Players who give their all deserve to be treated well! Period. Full stop.

We may loose but at least we had class.

Now we loose and we also have no class.

Out of the mouths of babes - my son asked me whether the team would throw a party for the departing Robo. I thought to myself - no, and in fact - they won't even stop to recognize his contribution to our team over the past 3 year.

Perhaps I've just lost my TFC innocence. I just thought the franchise was better than that.

I appreciate that you feel that way but I really think this is overly dramatic.

DOMIN8R
03-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah. Maybe.

I know - you don't like Robo. We get that.

Do some of you remember when in years 1 and 2, players that had contributed to the team and then were leaving - Mo would come out and say something like "... we thank so-n-so, and we wish him all the best.....and good luck"?

I thought that was good form.

johnmolinaro
03-09-2010, 10:37 PM
So let's all pretend that they gave a press conference yesterday with Mo and Preki where they politely said something to the effect of:

"Carl is moving on in his career. It's for the best for both sides. We wish him well."

Would that have made getting rid of him any more palatable?

Yes, for me that would have made it much more palatable. I'm sure had they done that people would still be pissed, but at least the club would be secure in the knowledge that they handled things properly.

Even a press release saying "we thank Carl for his contributions and wish him well in his future endeavours". they did that in the past (most recently with Amado), but didn't see fit to do it for a player who, think of him what you want (and I appreciate he's not loved by all), was the team's MVP in the first two seasons - to say nothing of the fact he took a pay cut at the club's request to stay here when he had offers from England.

I'm not suggesting Toronto FC should retire his number, rename the North Stand after him or give him a testimonial game. A proper send-off would have simply entailed publically acknowledging his contributions and thanking him.

What they did instead was barely make mention of his departure, have Preki say that "he made up his mind about not wanting to be here" (not true from sources I've talked to) and handle the entire thing with a real lack of class.

Just my 2 cents, thoough.

John
http://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro

Roogsy
03-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, for me that would have made it much more palatable. I'm sure had they done that people would still be pissed, but at least the club would be secure in the knowledge that they handled things properly.

Even a press release saying "we thank Carl for his contributions and wish him well in his future endeavours". they did that in the past (most recently with Amado), but didn't see fit to do it for a player who, think of him what you want (and I appreciate he's not loved by all), was the team's MVP in the first two seasons - to say nothing of the fact he took a pay cut at the club's request to stay here when he had offers from England.

I'm not suggesting Toronto FC should retire his number, rename the North Stand after him or give him a testimonial game. A proper send-off would have simply entailed publically acknowledging his contributions and thanking him.

What they did instead was barely make mention of his departure, have Preki say that "he made up his mind about not wanting to be here" (not true from sources I've talked to) and handle the entire thing with a real lack of class.

John

Well said John...well said.

Whoop
03-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Exactly what John said.

As I've said, most supporters can handle Robinson being traded/released (some of even love it!) but at least thank the guy on the way out.

Redpunkfiddle
03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Yes- This is the first bad move I have seen from Preki. I am sure you can be the iron fisted discipline jerk that is needed to get the team in shape without being a dick about an important player leaving. The nonchalant (and perhaps false) throwaway line about Carl not wanting to be here is distastful.

He doesn't have the history here, and fine- he's looking to the future of the team, has got a bigger picture to look after. He's not in charge of the press releases. But he didn't really demonstrate understanding that a team is more than x's and o's.

And that's from somebody who (given the structure of the cap, the team make up) didn't object to the release.

Pigfynn
03-09-2010, 10:58 PM
People are less outraged than normal because they are totally focused on the real trouble we are in. Not enough players, not enough cap space, not enough promises kept. It is really painful to watch a team like Seattle succeed by comparison straight away while TFC with all our promise is all bark and no bite.

I love this club, but it feels alot of the time like they are trying to do things wrong.

CretanBull
03-09-2010, 11:12 PM
I'd honestly sit through and support three painfull years if I saw a plan in place, knowing that we're moving in the right direction, even if its slowly.

We've had one plan from day 1: scramble.

Whoop
03-09-2010, 11:16 PM
http://cealdecote.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/bad_escape_plan.jpg

CretanBull
03-09-2010, 11:18 PM

John

What's even more disturbing was that they were willing to treat Dichio the same way until a lot of noise started coming out of places like our forums, some of the bloggers and other TFC related web sites. On so many levels the defining trait of this organization might be that it hasn't learned a thing from any of its mistakes (or even recognize its mistakes for that matter).

andyc
03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
What's even more disturbing was that they were willing to treat Dichio the same way until a lot of noise started coming out of places like our forums, some of the bloggers and other TFC related web sites. On so many levels the defining trait of this organization might be that it hasn't learned a thing from any of its mistakes (or even recognize its mistakes for that matter).

What's the betting that by the end of the week we get a Mo interview thanking Robbo for his years of service and wishing him well??

Something about Mo makes my skin crawl....

DOMIN8R
03-10-2010, 05:44 AM
^^ end of week? I bet it starts today. LOL

Oldtimer
03-10-2010, 08:24 AM
People are less outraged than normal because they are totally focused on the real trouble we are in. Not enough players, not enough cap space, not enough promises kept. It is really painful to watch a team like Seattle succeed by comparison straight away while TFC with all our promise is all bark and no bite.

I love this club, but it feels alot of the time like they are trying to do things wrong.

The real problem is Mo, plain and simple. The supporters have a good relationship with Paul's group (the business side of things). The good news, if the team tanks, is that Mo will probably be shown the door. Then TFC can go about building things the right way: with integrity, trust, and respect, all things that Mo seems to lack.

koryo
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
The real problem is Mo, plain and simple. The supporters have a good relationship with Paul's group (the business side of things). The good news, if the team tanks, is that Mo will probably be shown the door. Then TFC can go about building things the right way: with integrity, trust, and respect, all things that Mo seems to lack.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-10-2010, 08:42 AM

i hope youre right

Beach_Red
03-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Do you really think a change at middle-management is really going to have that big an effect on the corporate culture of MLSE? What makes you think he wouldn't be replaced by someone else just the same? Whoever hired him (and gave him extensions) will hire the next guy.

It would be so great if all these problems fell on one guy, but we aren't that gullable. Are we?

Oldtimer
03-10-2010, 09:50 AM
It would be so great if all these problems fell on one guy, but we aren't that gullable. Are we?

Mo is more of a problem than anyone else at MLSE. They want the team to win, playoffs mean more money.

Beach_Red
03-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Mo is more of a problem than anyone else at MLSE. They want the team to win, playoffs mean more money.

Sure, everybody wants to win, but that's not what we're talking about - and that's the point.

MLSE are masters of distraction. Look, we're not going to demand that they win, we're going to demand they change some middle-management. Eventually they will (probably this year) and there'll be a grace period but the team wo't be much better and then we'll compain about that guy, the anger will build, he'll be let go and another guy with some other problems will take the job, there'll be a grace period, and so on.

Until there's one other company in this city that steps up to, "champion sports" this is the state we'll be in. We can rearrange the deck chairs all we want....

olegunnar
03-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Sure, everybody wants to win, but that's not what we're talking about - and that's the point.

MLSE are masters of distraction. Look, we're not going to demand that they win, we're going to demand they change some middle-management. Eventually they will (probably this year) and there'll be a grace period but the team wo't be much better and then we'll compain about that guy, the anger will build, he'll be let go and another guy with some other problems will take the job, there'll be a grace period, and so on.

Until there's one other company in this city that steps up to, "champion sports" this is the state we'll be in. We can rearrange the deck chairs all we want....

I think the argument is, we've seen how reliant Upper management is on Mo's "expertise" It appears, and we hear constant murmurs, that Mo has them in his back pocket.

One could also argue, with Burke and Colangelo, that MLSE has moved to having sports people run the sports teams. Rather than having suits like Peddie, pretend to be the expert.

I wonder...would the 180 degree opposite type, a strong personality but with some real expertise and with some integrity, be able to get as stuck in as Mo.
If so then that person could affect change.

My dream for TFC is that they hire a strong willed and principled director of soccer. A champion for the team. A champion for the supporters. Someone that will balance or at least attempt to offset the natural tendencies of MLSE. An advocate for winning the right way.

Right now we have a guy "running" the team that rather than have a backbone...has burrowed into the organization like a parasite.