PDA

View Full Version : Will Carver take us to the cup final or league title?

Cashcleaner
06-17-2008, 01:42 AM
I don't mean this season. And not neccesarily next season. But I can't help but think of what an improvement has occurred since JC took the reins of Toronto FC. I mean, check the single table listing and you'll note we are tied for third place alongside LA. Not too shabby for a team in it's second year!

With the current direction the team is showing, I wouldn't be surprised if Carver is given more and more responsibility in the club. I don't know how long his contract is with Toronto, but I certainly have a good feeling that he could be he's the one to help us win the league....or cup. ;)

egoodwin
06-17-2008, 01:44 AM
he'll take us to the Club World Cup :P

Cashcleaner
06-17-2008, 01:46 AM
^ I like your optimism! :D

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-17-2008, 01:57 AM
I think Carver has been the best addition to the club this season. I think how much silverware the team wins is going to be determined by what moves the make during the transfer window / how they handle the McBride situation.

If we can get depth at forward like we have on the rest of the team, the sky’s the limit.

Keyman
06-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Don't forget the fact that this is all because of Mr. Maurice Johnston, without him, we would not have John Carver. He has received very little praise for the job he has done, building a very strong team and front office. I'm not trying to downplay the job that Carver has done, his impact on our team is undeniable, but I think Johnston has had his hand in a lot more than we think. He's a very smart man, he knows this league inside and out, and we should be happy to have him.

As for Carver, I see no reason why he cannot lead this team into the playoffs and beyond. Every players speaks highly of him, and the job he has done in his short time here. I just hope he is not snatched up by a team back in England, where his stock could rise after a couple successful seasons in Canada.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Don't forget the fact that this is all because of Mr. Maurice Johnston, without him, we would not have John Carver. He has received very little praise for the job he has done, building a very strong team and front office. I'm not trying to downplay the job that Carver has done, his impact on our team is undeniable, but I think Johnston has had his hand in a lot more than we think. He's a very smart man, he knows this league inside and out, and we should be happy to have him.

As for Carver, I see no reason why he cannot lead this team into the playoffs and beyond. Every players speaks highly of him, and the job he has done in his short time here. I just hope he is not snatched up by a team back in England, where his stock could rise after a couple successful seasons in Canada.

The anecdotal version of how Carver landed with TFC actually doesn’t lay much credit with Johnson - Carver was brought to the team at the behest of Paul Winsper.

I’m sure Mo’s doing a great job - no one can fault the additions he's made to the team this year. A lot of credit should go his way for recognizing that coaching wasn’t his strong point. I still feel strongly that the next set of additions to the club will make or break our season. Additionally, before we heap too much praise on either JC or MO, we have to remember this team can’t pick up points on the road. Unless they can change this fact, it’s hard to imagine them will win anything.

yanggoh
06-17-2008, 02:20 AM

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. I want him here until he's ready to retire.

Brooker
06-17-2008, 03:01 AM
i love how Carver was pissed that we let Colorado score on Saturday when we could have had a clean sheet. perfection and nothing short.

he's on to something....

Cashcleaner
06-17-2008, 05:15 AM
I certainly didn't want to give the impression that we don't need Mo. At the end of it all, he's the one who signed Winsper and Carver and made sure pen went to paper for the new players like Guevara or Robert. I do get the impression his clout in the dressing room and on the pitch is waning, however.

rocker
06-17-2008, 05:37 AM
The anecdotal version of how Carver landed with TFC actually doesn’t lay much credit with Johnson - Carver was brought to the team at the behest of Paul Winsper.

Johnson signed Carver so that's about all that matters.
Winsper may have put in a word for his buddy, but in the end Johnson had a number of candidates in mind and had to make the decision to offer Carver a contract. He'd be foolish not to ask Winsper's opinion, if that's what happened.

London
06-17-2008, 05:42 AM
this question made me think.

i have read many people complain over the last year that there are playoffs in MLS.
which would you rather have?
supporters shield or the MLS cup?

To me, the supporters shield is useless in north america, kinda like the presidents trophy in hockey. Nice to have but.....

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2008, 06:49 AM

i have read many people complain over the last year that there are playoffs in MLS.

To me, the supporters shield is useless in north america, kinda like the presidents trophy in hockey. Nice to have but.....

Since you brought it up I have to wholeheartedly disagree. The Presidents trophy is a secondary trophy but is the most difficult to win. the only reason it's relegated to second string is because of the playoff system. Teams don't feel the need to be the best in the league because there is a tournament after the season ends that gets more attention. Much like the draft system it rewards mediocrity.
"Don't worry, we'll make the playoffs and win the cup." It makes much of the season games unimportant.
I hope more people get into the European(and elsewhere)way of full tables vs divisions and more importantly ongoing tournaments like Canada cup instead of the playoff system.

Even the name sounds like a secondary trophy-Supporters Shield. To me it represents the most difficult trophy to win in MLS and I hope more people in the our game give it the respect it deserves.

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 06:55 AM

I have to agree with you on this one.
Supporters Shield would be nice and all, but seems pointless if the MLS Cup wasn't won at the same time/season.
Although we're gonna need a trophy room at BMO soon. Voyageurs Cup is going to be the next addition! :hump:

maninb
06-17-2008, 06:55 AM
IMO we need 2 high quality strikes..One this year, and probably one next, cause Dichio(even though I love him) will be on his last legs by then, and Cunningham is absolute CRAP!

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 07:00 AM
IMO we need 2 high quality strikes..One this year, and probably one next, cause Dichio(even though I love him) will be on his last legs by then, and Cunningham is absolute CRAP!

Ali Gerba was just released...:canada:

Batman
06-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Ali Gerba was just released...:canada:

Man would he look good in a Toronto kit.

All he ever does for Canada is SCORE GOALS!:hump::hump::hump:

RealG-TFC
06-17-2008, 07:20 AM
I wonder what's the catch? If he's playing in Sweden and lower tier Germany.

That being said, I still love Ali G! 'e's wikkit!

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/9094/alig2cm1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Supporters Shield would be nice and all, but seems pointless if the MLS Cup wasn't won at the same time/season.

This is what I mean. What's the point of being the best team in the league for the year when there's a month long tournament that decides it anyway?

All you Detroit fans could chirp up about now since you've won the Presidents trophy more times that I can remeber and garnered little attention for it.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-17-2008, 07:39 AM
No he wont but i wont be upset nor should anyone else.
Making the playoffs is good enough for now.

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 08:09 AM
This is what I mean. What's the point of being the best team in the league for the year when there's a month long tournament that decides it anyway?

All you Detroit fans could chirp up about now since you've won the Presidents trophy more times that I can remeber and garnered little attention for it.

Are you suggesting we get rid of the MLS Cup Finals?
Sorry, but their are somethings I don't think we should copy from Europe and South America. I like playoffs, it's exciting.
Perhaps now with the Champions League the Supporters Shield will end up meaning more.

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2008, 08:23 AM
I hope more people get into the European(and elsewhere)way of full tables vs divisions and more importantly ongoing tournaments like Canada cup instead of the playoff system.

Ongoing tournaments throughout the year. MLS cup would be played throughout the year as the FA cup does in other leagues. It doesn't make it less important to supporters it just doesn't make it the only important thing in the league.

SilverSamurai
06-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Ongoing tournaments throughout the year. MLS cup would be played throughout the year as the FA cup does in other leagues. It doesn't make it less important to supporters it just doesn't make it the only important thing in the league.

I don't like it. lol
But it's just me.
I'm used to and like the traditional North American post-season. Allows for upsets and underdogs to have a chance. Sure it's not perfect, but what is?

BeachRed
06-17-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't mean this season. And not neccesarily next season. But I can't help but think of what an improvement has occurred since JC took the reins of Toronto FC.

John Carver is a perfect example of how the MLS has moved to a new level. He's not some 'name' brought it at the end of his career and he sure doesn't act like a guy who's looking ahead to getting back to Europe.

His professionalism comes across constantly. He runs TFC and he wants to win every game. He never treats North American soccer like it's a retirement party or a second-rate league and he expects his players to be professional at all times. We couldn't always say that about North American soccer teams in the past.

But lately I've realized how more and more groups take on the personality of their leaders and Mo leads TFC. The fact Carver has complete control over the team is a great thing, there's no meddling, no second guessing about starters (and people here have done plenty) and nothing being played out in the media.

Someone on here has as their sig line something from the paper about TFC players standing together, clearly sending the message, we aren't afraid of anyone. That starts at the top and has worked its way all the way down.

djking2
06-17-2008, 09:02 AM
My hope is he takes us into the playoffs and the CCL group stage. Reasonable goals for this year I think and we can up the expectations next. Cancun here we come.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-17-2008, 09:41 AM
He has improved the team thats for sure...but the league title is 2-3 seasons away yet, we are still building this young club.

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Chicago won the cup in its first year I believe. The sooner the better for the fact that Carver hasn't been away long enough from the English game to adopt the "playoff' mentality. At this point he puts as much on winning the league as the MLS cup.

ExiledRed
06-17-2008, 11:00 AM
It's Carver's job to get us some hardware.

What was the question again?

Cashcleaner
06-19-2008, 03:09 PM
It's Carver's job to get us some hardware.

What was the question again?

How long will it take for him to do just that? :D

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Carver...best coach/manager any Toronto sports team has had in years.

Ron Manager
06-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Just until next month when we can call ourselves Canadian Champs.

Bars92
06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
We just need to win one game on the road and then we should be in the finals - given our home record.

jloome
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Are you suggesting we get rid of the MLS Cup Finals?
Sorry, but their are somethings I don't think we should copy from Europe and South America. I like playoffs, it's exciting.
Perhaps now with the Champions League the Supporters Shield will end up meaning more.

They have playoffs in Europe and SOuth America, just not for the title. They have two bracketed cup competitions in each major league and they have promotion playoffs.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
the cup final is the league title...but unless we start winning on the road we will fall just short.