PDA

View Full Version : Preki's Monday Media Scrum...

Carts
03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Anyone else a little concerned about Preki's media scrum today...???

Its almost like he's drinking the coolaid with the verbiage - aka "fans being patient" etc...

As to what he said...

+ "...try to focus on the group we have..." (in South Carolina). Ok, that doesn't rule out anyone coming in - but it does show the realization that's working with the group we have and that's it... I'm too confident with that. The roster has seen bodies go, and often not replaced...

+ "...we're still far away from where I want us to be..." I like that in regards to a pre-season comment. He wants improvement and will work toward it. If he was happy with the play already, that wouldn't be good. If he was speaking about the strength of the roster - that's not good.

+ "...its not going to happen overnight and we have to be patient..." People could take this either way, good or bad.

Preki definitely seems to play things a little more 'close to the chest' than our previous coaches - and thats fine. Some stuff is the media's business, some isn't. Far too often our old coach talked about everything "to be honest with you" :)

Anyways, "cautiously optimistic" is how I'm looking right now. I don't like the transformation in our roster (people who have gone over others kept) but I do know Preki has an excellent track record...

Here's hoping he can mold our squad in a "unit" and go forward and into the playoffs...

Carts..

canadian_bhoy
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
When asked about the team I was hoping for a more "we've got Dero and Deguz and we're going to do this and that" rather than "uh...not sure yet".

Could just be him playing cards close to his chest though.

Either way, it doesn't matter. We need someone up front who can score 15 -20 goals. We don't have it. Right now I wouldn't be surprised to see a very defensive anti-football style from us this season.

v00d00daddy
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah..I really hope Preki can get something out of this group.

The interview left me feeling a little mixed.

Preki seemed a little irritated. I don't know if its because:

a) He doesn't like the make up of this team right now (lack of a full roster/lack of players to fill obvious holes)

b) He doesn't really feel like to talking to the "media" about it.

I really hope it's B.

dantdot
03-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. He clearly insinuates the team we have now won't cut it.

Shaughno
03-08-2010, 02:16 PM
First, I don't think Preki has ever been a 'media' guy. He's always seemed to leave every question with an unimaginative and bland answer that doesn't really yield any results.

Second, I would expect a defense first mentality this year because... that's typically how Preki shapes his team from what I've seen. I'm not sure Preki's ever had a high scoring forward, at least not 15-20 a season. Yet, he's been able to pull off decent, if not great results considering the players he's had to work with.

So far, that's the best thing I can look forward to. The rest is just media drivel that gets us no closer to the facts, for the most part.

Shaughno
03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. He clearly insinuates the team we have now won't cut it.

Do you think the team we have now will cut it? I certainly don't, we need a couple holes filled at a minimum.

Section 117
03-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah..I really hope Preki can get something out of this group.

The interview left me feeling a little mixed.

Preki seemed a little irritated. I don't know if its because:

a) He doesn't like the make up of this team right now (lack of a full roster/lack of players to fill obvious holes)

b) He doesn't really feel like to talking to the "media" about it.

I really hope it's B.

I will bet it is a I have heard that he doesn't really like the make up of the squad and yet I am not sure how Preki can build this squad into a contender with what we have at the moment

v00d00daddy
03-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Do you think the team we have now will cut it? I certainly don't, we need a couple holes filled at a minimum.

For sure.

I really hope there is something in the works. Maybe one of the trialists works out. As it stands....the team is nowhere near ready.

Scary that the season starts in less than 3 weeks.

Shakes McQueen
03-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Mo Johnston has left our roster/cap situation in shambles. That's the problem.

I'm hopeful that when the CBA nonsense is resolved, we will be bringing in at LEAST a couple of more players to fill out the roster, and improve positions that need improving.

Another year of Nick Garcia as our veteran presence at the back, is unacceptable.

- Scott

JonO
03-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately, I think this year will be much like the first year. Because of the cap and our guaranteed contracts, we are going to have to wait the year out to get some contracts of the books. The way I see it, we are effectively in a rebuilding year...

dantdot
03-08-2010, 02:24 PM

I agree, he's being realistic. Even if we start with this team plus a few others, what does that say about the front office? For me it says this better be Mo's last year.

Pigfynn
03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately, I think this year will be much like the first year. Because of the cap and our guaranteed contracts, we are going to have to wait the year out to get some contracts of the books. The way I see it, we are effectively in a rebuilding year...

Doesn't this imply that something was at one point "built"...beacuse ahhhh we have never had a core team, just pieces in and out.

MUFC_Niagara
03-08-2010, 02:26 PM

Centre Forward, Attacking Wingers, commanding Centre Back....all needed before this team will taste real success.

westrouge
03-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Preki doesn't claim for a second to have all the answers, unlike Carver and Cummins, who would often make promises they couldn't always keep.

rocker
03-08-2010, 02:37 PM
i agree... Preki had never given an interview where he says anything of any value.

I don't mind that. I don't think the coach has to explain anything to his fans. he has to go out and win games. Let his actions speak for him.

Plus he knows other MLS teams are watching this stuff and trying to get a sense of what TFC is doing.. so better shut up.

Section 117
03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Rocker I can't see how teams don't know what TFC is about. Plus if I were another MLS team TFC would probably be the least of worries...

It makes me sick that I just wrote this... I think I need sometime away from the boards.

DichioTFC
03-08-2010, 02:51 PM
i agree... Preki had never given an interview where he says anything of any value.

I concur.

We should wait until the season begins before we throwing Preki under the bus. After all, theres only so many times he can answer "how does the team look" in a different way.

i think the patient comments are more directed to the media than to fans. Preki seems like the type who will speak on a personal level to the media types.

MFG1
03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
i posted something on the TFC front page about hearing the same rhetoric four now the fourth year in a row. im not looking forward to this year at all.

Carts
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
i posted something on the TFC front page about hearing the same rhetoric four now the fourth year in a row. im not looking forward to this year at all.

Don't get too down just yet - maybe Preki will bring the squad together and we'll see the improvement we need...

Cautiously optimistic is how I am putting it...

My common sence says we've gotten worse with the roster - but hopefull a good coach and proper system can make us better...

Carts...

MFG1
03-08-2010, 04:51 PM
^^^ remember what our saviour john Carver said at the beginning of last year too!!!! just kidding. This is the make or break year for me, this much I do know. I dont need to see them win a cup, but if it gets any more complicated, Im out. Look at the last three years and some of the chaos on and off the field and the backpeddling and horrible desicions that were made. Once bitten, twice shy, it wont be a red kool-aid drinking season for me.

Check out these prices!! I say we should do a group order for the season opener!

http://6dollarshirts.com/t-shirts/Brick-Wall-Bustin-Thirst-Quenchin-p-11137.html

ArmenJBX
03-08-2010, 04:52 PM
We have Adrian Cann on trial too. :D

Heart of Stone
03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Maybe Preki is a little cautious because he heard about Burke's prediction that the Leafs would make the playoffs this year .... 29th out of 30 ... no less.

v00d00daddy
03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm still optimistic about this season because I think Preki is going to institute a system. Not like the previous managers who seemed to fly by the seat of their pants.

I don't even care if it's all defense...if we get results I'll be happy.

I really hope Preki is the guy.

DangerRed
03-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Really, Preki saying that we're still "very far" from where he wants the team to be is EXACTLY what all of us have been saying for quite some time. I don't see how it's a shocker.

Actually, I'll take that back -- it is a shocker. It is UNTHINKABLE that we would have a manager who says it like it is instead of constantly saying so and so has a "real quality about him" (Cummins' catch phrase).

The bottom line here is this is still a very broken, pothole-filled team and that this season is going to be as bumpy of a ride as the past one.

There's going to be anger, frustration and disappointment, but there'll also be suspense, victory and maybe even a bit of glory for good measure.

I'm excited for all that shit. My one hope is that Garcia gets tons of benchtime and he and Gerba can share a slice of pie and talk about the good ol' days when they mattered.

Alonso
03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
^^^^^^ Hahaha! Except for your last paragraph I couldn't agree more, this is life guys, and it makes the good times that much sweeter...

Shakes McQueen
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm still holding out hope that the lack of signings by this club has been primarily motivated by the CBA shenanigans, that we will become more active once that issue is settled, and we know where, for example, the salary cap is going to be.

I'm glad to hear Preki telling it like it is. I got kind of tired of Cummins and Carver blowing sunshine up my ass on a weekly basis. It was starting to singe the inside of my lower intestine.

My one big "X-Factor" for this season will be JDG. Preki has historically been very good at tactically using defensive/holding midfielders, and I'm optimistic that he will be able to maximize JDG's value as a player.

- Scott