PDA

View Full Version : Swiss International & Twente Star to sign with Sounders

prizby
03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-soundersfc-nkufo&prov=ap&type=lgns

Blaise Nkufo signs with Seattle

kodiakTFC
03-04-2010, 03:21 PM
He's old but he is still capable of 15+ in MLS.

rocker
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
not coming until July eh?

so by then he'll be 35 and playing on fieldturf.

i wonder how much he costs.

Damien
03-04-2010, 04:02 PM
the sounders have their shit together, im sure he's not going to be bad.

jloome
03-04-2010, 04:50 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I'm not surprised, since apparently his wife just got a job in Vancouver, so there would be no way he'd want to commute all the way from Toronto.

But still.....

This guy is a lock to score 15-20. pair him with Montero and with Ljunberg right behind them and they are, easily, the most dangerous team upfront in the league.

In terms of consistency of performance, Nkufo is as big as signing -- albeit long in the tooth -- as Juan Pablo Angel.

Whoop
03-04-2010, 04:54 PM
He'll score 15-20 after July?

But yeah he's a pretty consistent goal scorer. I mean he's having an off year this year as Bryan Ruiz has overtaken N'Kufo as the primary striker on Twente, but he's still second on the team in scoring with 9 goals, tied for 8th in the league.

Brooker
03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
so he plays a full season with FC Twente and then comes to play another half season on field turf?

meh... i'm trying my best to look at this glass half full...

ag futbol
03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
This guy is a lock to score 15-20. pair him with Montero and with Ljunberg right behind them and they are, easily, the most dangerous team upfront in the league.

Ironic how you can lead a Eredivisie team in scoring for 5 years (including last year) but people draw a big line to 35. Sure it's old, but there's good recent performance there, he was leading scorer at Twente last year ffs.

How does Seattle find / afford these guys? Montero, Montano, and now this... something smells funny.

reggie
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
maybe they have people that actually know what they are doing,unlike our people.

Pachuco
03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Seattle could play us with 7 players on the field and TFC would still lose. Garcia would manage to score on his own net and Barrett would beat the world record for missed breakaways in a game.

TFC Tifoso
03-04-2010, 06:45 PM
but I thought the cloud hanging over the CBA was supposed to be a hurdle in signing players? :confused:........or is that just Mo? :confused::rolleyes:

spark
03-04-2010, 07:11 PM
How does Seattle find / afford these guys? Montero, Montano, and now this... something smells funny.

Well if the Mrs. is making good loot in Vancouver, and I'm sure he's done well in his career, maybe a cut isn't a big deal to put in another few seasons?

Not to mention he's 35 and it looks like he's played almost every game for the last 6 seasons - so he's clearly fit.

Super
03-04-2010, 07:16 PM
111 goals in 213 appearances for Twente in the Eredivisie. He might be up there in age, but based on those numbers he'll wreck most defenses in the league - and DEFINITELY one that includes Garcia.

I'm starting to get nervous!

Also, the below page says that he so far scored 9 goals in 24 games this season. And this is for a team that is placed 2nd in the Dutch league.

http://www.fctwente.com/statistieken/spelers/spelerInfo.php?spelerID=1060374060

ag futbol
03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Well if the Mrs. is making good loot in Vancouver, and I'm sure he's done well in his career, maybe a cut isn't a big deal to put in another few seasons?

Not to mention he's 35 and it looks like he's played almost every game for the last 6 seasons - so he's clearly fit.
Logical enough, but barring that: look at some of the other cases.

It wasn't like MLS discovered Montero. He was already very highly touted before he arrived on the west cost. Real Betis were apparently ready to bid a little over a million dollars for him. MLS somehow gets him on a strange joint ownership deal and he signs for $155,000 ?

Hurtado who is easily one of the best CB's in MLS (had a good rep in south america but was on the bench at Cali). He goes on trial at AC Milan then suddenly signs for Seattle for 36k?

Now they sign Montano (apparently) who is not as touted as Montero but a very solid prospect by MLS standards. The type MLS teams do not normally touch with a ten foot pool. I suppose we are supposed to believe that's a minimal money player as well.

In the totality of the world football hierarchy and past experience, it all comes off as extremely strange.

Damien
03-04-2010, 11:53 PM
This will blow everyone away but he signed for about $550,000 per season.

So is Llungberg gone? Does Seattle know something about the new CBA we dont? Is the MLS pulling strings like they did for the LA Gals?

(according to Steve Goff - Washington Post (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/9999983275))

kodiakTFC
03-05-2010, 12:07 AM

So is Llungberg gone? Does Seattle know something about the new CBA we dont? Is the MLS pulling strings like they did for the LA Gals?

(according to Steve Goff - Washington Post (http://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/9999983275))

This may sound stupid but if the league depends such a shallow cap than exceptions should be allowed to be made if the teams are willing to pay for it. I am such a huge fan of a league cap of 2.6 and a team cap of 2.6 with luxery tax.

Dunkers
03-05-2010, 01:51 AM

Since he is only playing for half a year, only half of his $550,000 salary will count towards the cap. And after the circus that was freddy llunjberg this preseaon, im betting the sounders are not expecting him to be around next season

This may sound stupid but if the league depends such a shallow cap than exceptions should be allowed to be made if the teams are willing to pay for it. I am such a huge fan of a league cap of 2.6 and a team cap of 2.6 with luxery tax.

If KC NE and Dallas all got worse, it would not do the league any good!

And just to clear up a point of confusion, the league does not pay the players salary, sure they sign the checks, but where could that money come from? TFC pays the one time franchising fee of 20 mil and the MLS pays 2.6 mil per year for salary for life? No, TFC and every other team in the league gets a minimal 2.6 mil bill from head office every year, that is for sure. So head office takes the credit for paying the players while the teams are still left to come up with the greenbacks .

Beach_Red
03-05-2010, 09:56 AM

Very soon it will be time to let them go, then. What was true before TFC, Seattle, Philadelphia, New York's new stadium, Vancouver, etc., is no longer true. The league once needed those teams but now they may be holding the league back.

If the CFL can have a salary cap of over $4 million MLS should be able to do that, too.

Gazza_55
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Since he is only playing for half a year, only half of his $550,000 salary will count towards the cap. And after the circus that was freddy llunjberg this preseaon, im betting the sounders are not expecting him to be around next season

And just to clear up a point of confusion, the league does not pay the players salary, sure they sign the checks, but where could that money come from? TFC pays the one time franchising fee of 20 mil and the MLS pays 2.6 mil per year for salary for life? No, TFC and every other team in the league gets a minimal 2.6 mil bill from head office every year, that is for sure. So head office takes the credit for paying the players while the teams are still left to come up with the greenbacks .

Each MLS team sends a percentage of their ticket revenue (30%) to the league and that along with the national TV and sponsorship revenue pays the players salaries. Each team keeps all the revenue from merchandise, concessions, parking, local TV & radio, shirt and stadium sponsorship, events that are not MLS-related etc.

So in the Sounders case their ticket revenue this year will be about $19.4m with just over $6m going to MLS. Since the Sounders salary for this year will be $3.5m (including Ljunberg's DP's wage) they help out other clubs (San Jose) whose ticket revenue is low.

Very soon it will be time to let them go, then. What was true before TFC, Seattle, Philadelphia, New York's new stadium, Vancouver, etc., is no longer true. The league once needed those teams but now they may be holding the league back.

If the CFL can have a salary cap of over $4 million MLS should be able to do that, too.

Kansas City will be moving into a new stadium and FC Dallas makes a ton of money ($2.5m) on their rental facility at Pizza Hut Park so those teams won't be going anywhere. But I agree that cap should be at least $4m.

Whoop
03-23-2010, 12:37 AM
NKufo's goal from this past weekend's match between PSV and Twente.

kf1kZFq1br8